Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does Mustang's English Voice Just Not Feel Right?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1) > English Dub episodes (on Adult Swim)
hitokiri

is it just me or is mustangs voice just a little bit off? and no i don't mean its cause its just because i'm used to the jp voice talent, i just personally feel that the way his english voice is done its a little cold and lifeless, i mean yes roy mustang is an asshole sometimes, but he's ALWAYS been a charasmatic, jovial asshole. at least thats how i've always felt. does anyone else thats seen at least most of the jp eps agree or am i just being a picky funimation hatin bastard (which in general i am but i'm honestly tryin to give FMA a chance, hell at least they did better with this than DBZ)

as a side not i also feel that winry and ed have too mature voices, though the al voice fits nicely, pinako aint bad either but i do still prefer the jp version but thats just me
Kyuuka_kaze
Since I have not seen the jap verson, I can be Unbiased when I say that your right. It's just too cold. But, I have a feeling that it (Just like Al's voice) will grow on me.
Carnal Malefactor
It's a lot less off than most of the other voices, I'll say that much.

Winry and Rose must have the same VA... I noticed no difference between the two. At least she's appropriately catty-sounding for Winry...
Quistis88
Can anyone direct me to a clip of Mustang's voice? I'd really like to hear it. smile.gif
telepika
I almost voted for "FMA came out in Japan?" because that was so funny. No offense to anyone who really thought that...

Yeah, even though I'm not a Roy fan, I do agree that Roy's voice sounded weird, but that's because its different from the Japanese voice actor (actress?). I thought Ed's voice was terrible, but I got used to it. *shrugs* I'm starting to really like the dub. The third episode almost made me cry. I don't know why. I saw that episode five billion times in Japanese, but when I saw in the Eng. dub... I don't know... There was something different...

Well anyway, don't despair. I know you Roy fans will love Roy even if his Eng voice sucks.
SpaceDrake
Mmmmmph. Part of me suspect it's Japanese-VA-Syndrome like I had with Ed originally, but... yeah. Travis Willingham as Roy just ain't clicking for me like the others are. The original VA was smooth and determined. Travis... well, he's got Mustang's attitiude OK, but the voice just... isn't quite Mustang. I'll give him some time, but...

BTW, Travis has a Livejournal here: http://www.livejournal.com/users/mustangactor/
SpaceDrake
Hmm. Having watched the episode again, I revise my take on Mustang. The voice COULD work, I think for me it was a combination of "VA-shock" and the actor not being fully warmed up to the character yet. Episode 5 and beyond will be a big test.
Maenos
Seems I'm the only one (thus far) who voted "I love the American version."

I will admit, Roy's VA isn't the best it could be. But I do like it. He'll fit. I'm liking all the VAs thus far (especially Al's, now that he sounds more realistic).
TheVileOne
I thought Travis Willingham sounded fine as Mustang.

Oh and all the talk about shooting/killing/beating Funimation needs to stop. Its infantile, sick, and ridiculous. Mods, do something about this because its really deplorable. And anyone who takes part in it here, you should knock it off and realize you are being bakas.
lialiakicks
Travis did a good job with getting Mustang's character down, but he sounded so... UNENTHUSIASTIC.

I'm not saying that Mustang always sounded like he was high on caffine or anything, but his voice was kinda droned of energy. O_O Wow, this is harder to explain than I thought... Oh well.

We'll have to wait and see what happens in episode 13!
vegita625
I'll be honest, I've seen the subbed episodes, so having heard Mustang's Jap. voice, yes, the English voice that I'm NOT used to sounds wierd. However, I think the voice suits him fine, it'll just take some getting used to. Get over it people, no one's dub voice is going to be identical to the original Jap. voice. So Mustang's voice is a lil deeper and rougher sounding, it's not too much of a difference.

Summarized: Mustang's voice is fine, just get used to it.
Vx Tao Ren xV
I actually like Roy's voice.. it could've been a LOT worse.. and for some reason, him being kind of sarcastic in episode 3 (eventhough he's not really supposed to be), actually worked for me..
Artemis Winter
QUOTE(What @ no bacon?,Nov 20 2004, 11:07 PM)
It's a lot less off than most of the other voices, I'll say that much.

Winry and Rose must have the same VA... I noticed no difference between the two. At least she's appropriately catty-sounding for Winry...

Actually, their VAs are different, but I think that Roze's and Riza Hawkeye's voice actresses in the dub are the same. I hope to God they don't screw that one up.

I'm a disgruntled girl...I mean, they did a fair job with the dub, but...*shrug* I agree in that Roy's voice was...off. Not in its enthusiasm, not whatever-else, but I think it was a tad low and...didn't match...*shrug* perhaps I'm just used to his normal jpn. VA.

Mweh. XD
Shiroi
Eh... I don't think the voice itself sounded off at all. It was surprising, but I think the voice was very accurate. By "off" however, he sounded out-of-character. He had an "I-really-don't-wanna-be-here-right-now" type of tone, and that was just not Roy. Too much arrogant sarcasm perhaps? He dragged his sentences. Yeah, it's really hard to explain.

The real acid test will be episode 13 or so. -.- Like I said before, I can't wait to hear him rant about mini-skirts.

...And yes, Rose and Riza have the same dub voice actress. Creepy thought. I'm also curious as to what Hughes will sound like.
rhoda_lin
hm i think roy's voice is too low but i like it still. sucks they dont have it in English in Taiwan here. x.X
miss_neko
at first i hated his voice but i'm starting to get use to it. so i guess his voice is ok....
Toby-Chan
It sounds fine to me. Not quite the equivalent of the original, where Roy was both proper(Mostly by technicality), and sarcastic at the same time. He sounds a bit too casual in the dub, a little like more of a low class fighter or something, especially with some of the lines they changed for him, but still, I can't seem to find much else than that.
Kitoky
When I listened to Roy Mustang's voice in the last couple of episodes when he's talking to Hawkeye or General Hakuro, it just....something just doesn't click like it did in the Japanese version...It seems all too ....unright. If you know what I mean? His voice seems like a voice for ...I don't know a minor character of some odd DBZ episode.
*~Oashisu*~
Hmm, I think Roy's voice fits him, or at least that I would imagine him to be in real life.... Ane Ed. I love his voice ^-^ ::shot::
Tobu Ishi
Hmm...well, I've only seen two episodes in English before I bailed. But personally, my problem with Travis's Roy is that he sounds perpetually bored. The Japanese Roy wasn't overtly snarky, but he had this constant undercurrent of amused smugness, a sort of "I'm insulting you but you have no idea because my vocabulary is too impressive for you to comprehend" vibe. (Except, of course, when the guy was actually being serious.) Roy is never bored, in my humble opinion. He's too crafty to be bored. Lazy, yes, but there's always something going on in that brain, even if it's just, "Gee, I think I'll wash the windows! : )"

Ed's voice isn't really that bad, I suppose, but he sounds far older than 15. And the overall take is kind of...stereotypical-brash-anime-main-character. It reminds me a bit of Stinkoman from Homestarrunner.com. "ARE YOU ASKING FOR A CHALLENGE?!!" sleep.gif*

Oh, and am I the only one who thinks the Fuhrer sounds like Sean Connery?
AlphonseRules
I think that it just depends on which version you saw first. I have never seen the Japanese versions and I like all the voice acting on the American dubs. I don't think that I will ever watch the Japanese ones either, even when I get the DVDs. I am afraid that once I watch one I will always think of ED and AL having women VAs, something I dont want to think about while Im watching the American version on Cartoon Network.
also_cursed
I've never heard the Japan version, but I didn't like Mustang in the Eng. dub. He sounded so... flat. Kind of dead, with no real personality. Definatly not as arogant as I imagined him.
Ed's okay. He sounds too old but he's mature for his age so it's not too bad. I love Al though, he sounds so innocent. smile.gif
shogunskey
his voice sounds just fine to me. but i havent seen the Japanese version.
Military_Dog
I haven't heard mustang's voice yet...the site that I get them off is missing the first ep. where he talks XD

I REALLY like the Japanese voice though...its SEXY tongue.gif

Can anyone direct me to a sound clip??
KevLar
Do you people ever get away from the intarweb? Everyone has weird voices. Roy's VA does a great job and ironically he looks like Roy too.
chocolate_eds_everywhere
sorry but i love mustangs voice its so .......mustang i saw it stays biggrin.gif
Kiarrens
A little part of my soul dies every time Roy opens his mouth in the dub. Seriously. It just kinda.... withers away and vanishes with a small *poof*.

Joking aside, I really do flinch when I hear the English Roy's voice. He's too cold, and his voice isn't nearly deep enough. Ed sounding too old I got over eventually, but Roy? :\ Nope. Thankfully the awesomeness that is Aaron Dismuke as Al makes up for it - makes the dub bearable for me.

*edit: I happened to be watching the English dub of Naruto the other night while I was sewing (I was bored and there was NOTHING else on), and heard Sasuke's older brother.... and dear god, whoever did his voice would have been perfect for Roy. sad.gif
Agree? Disagree? smile.gif
Fushi
Ya know, at first I really didn't like.

Over time tho, I got used to it. Actually...I think what happened was over time HE got used to it. I rewatch the first episodes now and think EVERYONE sounds horrible. In comparison to later in the series, everyone was just awkward. Eventually tho they settled into the roles and did a good job. So I like Roy in Japanese and English equally.

I watched the clips from the game tho. His performance of Roy there is just downright laughable. It was so bad it was good. XD Veyr different from the later half of the series.

Thankfully the awesomeness that is Aaron Dismuke as Al makes up for it - makes the dub bearable for me.

No comment.
xox
I prefer the English voice actually... hehe. I think they all did pretty good jobs.
Little Washu
I think his Japanese voice is.....funny sounding. I dunno why, it just makes me laugh. I like the dub better.
Tris the Reaper
I watched the clips from the game tho. His performance of Roy there is just downright laughable. It was so bad it was good. XD Veyr different from the later half of the series.

...You know, if we're talking the Broken Angel, that would make a whole lotta sense. From what I heard, his VA did the voice in the game before doing the voice in the anime itself.

That's the thing with voices, dub and sub alike -- it'll take them awhile to get used to their roles, so more often than not, the voices will be shaky at first. I don't remember an anime where they weren't.
Twilightz
QUOTE(Kiarrens) *
Thankfully the awesomeness that is Aaron Dismuke as Al makes up for it - makes the dub bearable for me.

Okay... :'DDD

I like the Japanese dub better. Travis Willingham is okay, but Tōru Ōkawa's voice is more... sexier. =D
Fushi
QUOTE(Tris the Reaper @ Nov 21 2007, 06:12 AM) *

...You know, if we're talking the Broken Angel, that would make a whole lotta sense. From what I heard, his VA did the voice in the game before doing the voice in the anime itself.

Yes I do mean Broken Angel. xD And yes, I do know that the game was dubbed before the anime too. xD

It was also, apparently, his first time voice acting.

Still doesn't make it any less laughable tho, LOL. xDDD
Celeste Nayamashii
His voice acting in Broken Angel was like...cringe-worthy. I hated listening to it and it just really flat out sucked. As for him throughout the anime, I didn't hear anything wrong with his voice acting at all. I thought the voice suited him. I felt it had just the right touch of sarcasm when it was needed, spoke his emotions well (episode 25 ;_;) but yeah, I usually like the Japanese dub better than the English dub in anime, but for some reason, I much prefer the English over the Japanese in FMA O_O My husband's the same way.

edited because I used the word "Jap"
Tris the Reaper
QUOTE(Fushigi Rockna @ Nov 21 2007, 12:04 PM) *
Yes I do mean Broken Angel. xD And yes, I do know that the game was dubbed before the anime too. xD

It was also, apparently, his first time voice acting.

Still doesn't make it any less laughable tho, LOL. xDDD

I don't think I ever got to Roy in Broken Angel, though, or at least from what I can remember. *kinda gave up on it after awhile*

...Actually, I think I did, I just don't remember what it sounded like to save my life.

Perhaps I'm lucky?

I usually like the Jap dub better than the English dub, but for some reason, I much prefer the English over the Jap O_O

You realize "Jap" was a racial slur in WWII, right?

[My grammar peeves -- using "your" instead of "you're" and "Jap"...]
natsu-hime
meh, i love both ookawa and travis's voice. use 'em as my ringtones biggrin.gif in some part, travis is actually better like in the "I LOVE DOGS!" thing, ookawa sounds stiff but travis sounds loose and funny. but in the "mini-sukaato" part, it goes vice versa.

if travis and ookawa ever met and share laughs, cover my eyes and i can't tell which is laughing (i tried to compare their evil laughs from the i love dogs quote and they sound almost the same - CRIKEY)
Fieldmarshal Roy Mustang
DUDE ROY's voice is the best

"Dog huh?...."
"I love DOGS!!!!"
"You can be a jerk to them and they'll nver ask you for a paycheck!!!"
"LOYAL CANINE HOW WE SALUTE THEEE!!!!!!"
and yes i considered the dub to be better than sub
like in flame alchemsit vs fullmetal alchemist
in jap he never said "TOO SLOW" and i barely heard it
and of course
"ONCE I BECOME FUHRER I WILL REQUIRE ALL FEMALE OFFICERS TO WEAR TINY MINISKIRTS!!!!!!!!"
Alchemical
I think it fits perfectly. Travis did a marvelous job. (Plus, the English voice acting is why I prefer the dubbed version to the Japanese version. <333)
animesnob
QUOTE (TheVileOne @ Nov 21 2004, 06:26 PM) *

Oh and all the talk about shooting/killing/beating Funimation needs to stop. Its infantile, sick, and ridiculous. Mods, do something about this because its really deplorable. And anyone who takes part in it here, you should knock it off and realize you are being bakas.

I like the voice of Travis Willingham also. He's also the voice for Ginko in Mushishi, who's another one of my favorite characters.
Innocent-malice
I thought his voice suited him, a major part of his personality was cockiness and I thought Travis expressed this perfectly in the voice acting.
edo little kid
I love Roy's new voice ^^
Alchema
I love Travis's voice! Its just AWESOME. The infamous mini-skirt line gets me every time.
"ALL FEMALE OFFICERS SHALL BE REQUIRED TO WEAR...TINY MINISKIRTS!" XDDDD!
Zephyr Alchemist
I agree that the English version is a little off. To me he sounds to deep for a 29 yr-old. I think he should sound a little younger, after all, that's why officers get all weird that he's such a high rank at a young age.
PrincessElir
QUOTE (animesnob @ Apr 5 2009, 08:14 PM) *
QUOTE (TheVileOne @ Nov 21 2004, 06:26 PM) *

I like the voice of Travis Willingham also. He's also the voice for Ginko in Mushishi, who's another one of my favorite characters.

I love Travis, I think he is awesome!!! He's also Pierre in Aquarion, and Mori in host club.

QUOTE (Alchema @ Apr 15 2009, 10:55 AM) *
I love Travis's voice! Its just AWESOME. The infamous mini-skirt line gets me every time.
"ALL FEMALE OFFICERS SHALL BE REQUIRED TO WEAR...TINY MINISKIRTS!" XDDDD!

That line is awesome Live.
xHearter
No, I ry like his voice! better than the Japanese!!
Grinning Maniac
No, I like Mustang's voice. Has a good tormented but patient and devious quality to it. It also makes me crack up when he suddenly bursts into *HAPPY JOKING MUSTANG VOICE* (miniskirts for all female officers!).
Dark-Winds
I actually really like Roy's English voice smile.gif

I think Travis had a huge improvement though from the first anime to Brotherhood, and thus I like him as Roy a lot more in Brotherhood. He could get lower and you can really feel the emotion in his voice a lot more.
Schnabeltier
I don't think I've ever watched the dub.

They've aired a dub version of the first FMA here but I'm not sure if it's by the one by Funimation. I have seen / heard clips though, and I have to say that I do like his English voice. Travis Willingham is pretty darn cool IMO, I really wish I'd have the chance to watch his take on Brotherhood somehow. Some key scenes, especially. I wonder how, really.
xUltimate_Shieldx
I agree with Dark-Winds. Roy's english voice is one of my favorites, and Travis has definetely had an amazing improvement.
KimbleeWorshipper
Ya know, I actually prefer his English voice over the Japanese one. I also agree with Dark-Winds. He got a lot better at voice acting in Brotherhood. But even voice acting ability aside, just the tone of his voice is really good for his character. happy.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.