Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is Automail good? and would you want it?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > FMA Character Discussions
Lightning Flame Alchemist
Honestly, i don't think i would mind. it is good in ways for self defense :| and it would be better then the technology now smile.gif but i guess the bad thing is how much pain you would undergo just from the surgery :S

Give your Opinion smile.gif who know? it might become real XD

<Note from moderator: This thread will likely to be merged to or grouped with other similar existing "Automail discussion" threads later. smile.gif >
Misty- Nala
There are many reasons why NOT to take an automail:
Pain- I have lost two of my teeth and I had enough pain when they were being treated. I am fearing the day I get porcelain teeth to replace the stumps I have now. blink.gif Undergoing an automail surgery, you would get no pain medication during attaching of the nerves and rehabitation takes years, continuing with even more pain in rainy days.
Heavy- With a heavy weight hanging on your body, your skin and muscles undergo a lot of stress. It requires very good physique yo be able to move
Unpractical- May rust when in contact with water, needs oiling and oil smells, you can't feel with automail, and again, it'll take years to learn to move it
ETC. etc.

But I would take an automail if I lost a limb since the other kind of replacements presented in FMA seem very weak and easy to break. I think automail is for adults only since kids still have some growing to do, resulting in automail needing to be reattached every couple of years.

This is a tough one: Years of pain but permanent help vs Painfree life but weaker prothesis?
xUltimate_Shieldx
I wouldn't want it. I mean, yeah people seem to rave about how cool it would be to have a metal limb that wouldn't have pain, but it's more than that.

First of all, the surgery for it seems extremely painful. It takes years for rehabilitation, too. And every time you grew or needed a replacement for some reason, you'd have to go through the pain of reconnecting the nerves. Doesn't sound fun.

Not only that, but automail + water = not good at all. Not only would it rust easily, swimming would be impossible. You'd drown.

And I mean, if Ed complains about it all the time and is desperate to get rid of it, Ed, one of the toughest characters in the whole damn manga, then to a normal person like you or me the pain would probably be unbearable.

I don't know, it just seems like it has so many problems. The only upside I can think of is it is pretty convenient if you lose a limb and I guess it could get you out of some sticky situations, but for the most part I'd say it isn't worth it.
Lightning Flame Alchemist
QUOTE (xUltimate_Shieldx @ Jan 19 2011, 11:07 AM) *
Not only that, but automail + water = not good at all. Not only would it rust easily, swimming would be impossible. You'd drown.

what happens if they use northern type automail o_O? it's considered lighter, and not fully metal :|

but still, everything has a pro and a con smile.gif
Misty- Nala
QUOTE (Lightning Flame Alchemist @ Jan 19 2011, 04:07 PM) *
QUOTE (xUltimate_Shieldx @ Jan 19 2011, 11:07 AM) *

what happens if they use northern type automail o_O? it's considered lighter, and not fully metal :|

but still, everything has a pro and a con smile.gif

I think the effect would be the same. It's still automail though lighter. Even northern type one can't be hallow since it wouldbreak in a battle. Though Edward was seen giving lighter kicks and hits with the norhtern type, it wouldn't take away the fact that it is still metal.
ElricAbuse
If I was missing an arm or leg, I'd rather have automail. However, the surgery pain would be really...painful! Also, you'd need a good mechanic to do maintenance. Other than that, it would be cool to have automail. I wouldn't mind!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.