Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Very Merry & Festive Holiday FMA Fanart Contest!
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fanworks > Fanarts
ScarMySoul
Very Merry & Festive Holiday FMA Fanart Contest

Rules and Guidelines:

1. Fan art must be from any FullMetal Alchemist series, whether it be from FMA manga, FMA:Brotherhood anme or FMA1 anime with a Winter Holiday or Seasonally Festive theme!

2. NO SPOILERS! Even though the manga and anime have ended, there is still a light spoiler ban on the forums. If you have a question regarding your art submission that you feel might be a spoiler, send a pm to ScarMySoul.

3. Art can be of your own style or that of Arakawa!

*Cosplay images are not permitted as a fan art submission*

4. The medium used is your choice, whether it be Black & White or colored, hand drawn or digitally created, etc., but MUST be your own creation.

5. Please submit your entry by: (NOTE: You can also read Tombow's post here on "how to upload the image to the Gallery to enter the contest." ^^)

a) posting your piece on this thread. Please do NOT use the the link to your art page on art account site such as DeviantArt. You MUST post ACTUAL art file of your entering fanart.

b ) artwork will be divided up into three categories: Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced. That way the contest is fair to all forms of art and not biased. When you submit your piece to the thread, please place underneath what category you feel your art should be in. Example: “Ed and Al building a Snowman” ~ Beginner

c) c) Member also has to upload the entry image file to the relevant subsection of the contest section in our Gallery

*Art pieces are subject to category changes by moderators to better suit fairness*

6. Once art pieces have been posted on this thread, they will be updated on the first post of the thread so that people can see all the entries without having to go through ALL of the pages... The pieces will be in link form using the name of the member who has created the piece. Your uploaded fanart to the Gallery will not show up immediately, but they will be displayed when the next time Gallery moderator comes around.

7. ONLY ONE ENTRY PER MEMBER!!

8. Once your entry is submitted, you are not permitted to change or enhance your work in anyway. This is stressed so that judging will be fair.

!!CONTEST WILL OPEN DECEMBER 1ST 2010 AND END JANUARY 7TH 2011!!

Judging:

After the closing of the contest, we we will conduct a brief poll (votes will be open to all members) to narrow down the field, then the board will choose winners among those.

There will be ONE GRAND PRIZE WINNER from each category, with FOUR RUNNERS UP.

Prizes:

After the thread is closed and the voting is finalized by the members, a prize list will be announced. The reason the prizes will remain hidden, is not only to provide an air or mystery to the winners, but will make it easier for the contest undertakings to remain fair and balanced.

-----------------

Beginners

Intermediate

1. Winter Fun ~ Michiyo-
2. A Quiet Ghost of Christmas Past ~ mellulah
3. Happy FMA Year ~ The Stubborn Alchemist

Advanced

1. Christmas in Resembool ~ A Pierrot's Aria
2. Merry Christmas FullMetal Mistletoe ~ JarenLoach
mellulah
I am so entering biggrin.gif Luckily my tablet is working for this contest.
ScarMySoul
@ mellulah Great! Can't wait to see what you come up with! biggrin.gif
Rainshine
Ooh! TOTALLY joining this! biggrin.gif Any excuse to draw Ed in a santa hat.
I just hope I finish on time, I already have a lot of holiday/christmas stuff on my plate. D: I'll try to make it!
ScarMySoul
@Rainshine Well you have until January 7th! So take all the time you need and I look forward to seeing your art! happy.gif
MsLinn
Oh boy, am I glad I finally got my lazy butt over to this glorious forum again! I'm entering, alright!
...I really should get a "To Do"-list.

So, I am supposed to deside which category I'm in...? That's not easy for a selfcritizising artist.
ScarMySoul
QUOTE (MsLinn @ Dec 15 2010, 05:45 PM) *
Oh boy, am I glad I finally got my lazy butt over to this glorious forum again! I'm entering, alright!
...I really should get a "To Do"-list.

So, I am supposed to deside which category I'm in...? That's not easy for a selfcritizising artist.

I'm glad your entering!!! Actually, if you have any trouble with where YOU feel your artwork should be placed, feel free to ask me, Chiyo and I will look at it and place it where we feel you fit. So don't be afraid to ask! Please! biggrin.gif
mellulah
My photoshop file got corrupted ;_; even with editing the code and hex viewers I couldn't get it back. Now I've got to start all over ;_;.
Chiyo
Sorry to hear that Mellulah sad.gif

I'm looking forward to seeing what all of you have to offer smile.gif
MsLinn
QUOTE (ScarMySoul @ Dec 16 2010, 01:01 AM) *
I'm glad your entering!!! Actually, if you have any trouble with where YOU feel your artwork should be placed, feel free to ask me, Chiyo and I will look at it and place it where we feel you fit. So don't be afraid to ask! Please! biggrin.gif

Lovely! happy.gif
JaronLoch
o.o can I join? I'm just a new guy here at FMA.com.
ScarMySoul
QUOTE (JaronLoch @ Dec 19 2010, 07:35 AM) *
o.o can I join? I'm just a new guy here at FMA.com.

Yes you're welcome to join!
S.F. Thunder
Sounds like lots of fun! I can't wait to see what people come up with! I'll try to come up with something good, too!
ScarMySoul
QUOTE (S.F. Thunder @ Dec 20 2010, 07:26 AM) *
Sounds like lots of fun! I can't wait to see what people come up with! I'll try to come up with something good, too!

Great! Can't wait to see what you can come up with! biggrin.gif
JaronLoch
I are finished with my work =O!
I want to post it here on Dec 25 x3 i'm excited.

I wonder why there isn't any posted works yet?
Chiyo
JaronLoch - The most likely reason is that people are still working on pieces. Please be aware too your work might not be displayed until 26th/27th, we Mods need to take time off too smile.gif
Rainshine
Ahahahaha. I still have yet to start my piece.
I've been busy. D:
JaronLoch
QUOTE (Chiyo @ Dec 22 2010, 09:36 AM) *
JaronLoch - The most likely reason is that people are still working on pieces. Please be aware too your work might not be displayed until 26th/27th, we Mods need to take time off too smile.gif

biggrin.gif yes! everybody needs a time off! im gonna post it here on 25. x3
I won't be here also from 26-28 im going to my mums family.
Chiyo
Rainshine - tsk, excuses wink.gif. Don't rush your work, do it at your own pace, we understand people will be busy at the moment.

JaronLoch
- That's fine, I just didn't want you to worry we'd missed it or anything like that, for contests and such we have to approve the image before it's available for everyone to see.
JaronLoch
FIRST!~

Merry Christmas Everyone!

I almost forgot to post my work xDD I was already going to sleep.
anyway, here it is!

"Fullmetal Mistletoe" ~Intermediate

I don't know where to put it so I decided to put it in the middle category. biggrin.gif
If you want to put it somewhere else, feel free to do so.

EDIT: SORRY tombow!! Dx I was so sleepy last night I did'nt read it carefully. I won't be around for a few days. Happy holidays guys!

=Fixed!
Tombow
^ Merry Christmas, JaronLoch!! (and everyone celebrating! ^^)

I'm not the official judging staff for the contest and I can't tell much about the placement of entries for each "skill level" category, but I can tell you how to enter this fanart contest to be eligible. biggrin.gif

Entering this fanart contest has TWO steps. smile.gif - To become eligible you have to complete BOTH steps. ^^

1.) Please post your entry piece on this thread with own on-line URL address for the pic file for the entered piece, and posting it as an image with IMG BBCode. (i.e. not uploading to the board and posting it as an attachment to your post.) Note: Please do not use the link to your DeviantArt account page, etc.

(If you need help on how to post the pic as an image on your post, you can check out this post... please read the section 2 on the linked page for "How to post pic on your post as an image" in the middle part of that post. ...Or, please PM and ask Moderators for further help.) smile.gif

Note: Make sure to state on your post which "skill-level category" (beginner, intermediate, or advanced) you're entering your piece into.

2.) Please UPLOAD your entry to our Gallery. For this, please follow the steps described below.

First, please check the very bottom part of this page, and at the bottom left side, make sure the word "Modern" is shown. If not, click on the drop down menu there and choose "modern" for the board "skin". Then.....

Please go to the Contest section of our Gallery, and choose the relevant section (beginner, intermediate, or advanced) and upload your entry by clicking on NEW IMAGE button there.

Once on the "uploading" page, enter the name/title of your art piece into Caption part . If you don't put in any name for your submitted image, the system will automatically take the file name of submitted image and use that as the name of your submitted image.

Underneath "Caption" box is a big editing box for Image Description. You can leave this part blank, or if you'd like you can fill in this part with the description/explanation of your submitted image. You can type and edit just like when making posts in the forum.

Underneath big "Image Description" edit box is Copyright. If your submitted image is copy-right-protected, then please enter the information here. If not, you can leave this section blank, and the system will automatically fill in with the default copyright disclaimer.

Underneath "Copyright" is "uploading file selection" box. For this, please have your image file stored in your computer and ready to be uploaded. Then, click on Browse.., and choose the file on your computer, then click Open, then click on Post Image button at the bottom.

And that's it, your uploaded image should show up immediately in the Gallery. If it doesn't show up, try it again, and if you still have problems uploading the image to our Gallery, please consult our Moderator by PM.

Or, if you have any further questions, post your question on this thread, or PM moderators, and we'll try to assist you. smile.gif
Michiyo-
Here’s my entry for the contest:

„Winter Fun” ~ Intermediate

It’s my first drawing with the tablet I got for Christmas. I made a pencil sketch earlier, then redrew it with my tablet. Colored in Photoshop.

I don’t trust my drawing skills enough, so I placed it in the middle category, but feel free to change it.
A Pierrot's Aria
Here's my entry: Christmas in Resembool

Personally, I think my piece is intermediate. happy.gif

This was fun- it's the first time I've used a graphic tablet and photoshop for about a year now; I still find it really difficult to draw straight onto the computer using a tablet, though. I still wish I could have done a traditional piece, but my favourite medium has been kidnapped by my sister. laugh.gif I love messy colouring. xD

I thought it would be nice to do something pre-series. And poor Hoho...he's falling over a psychotic sheep. biggrin.gif

Below @ScarMySoul- happy.gif;; I don't think I deserve to be there, but you're the boss. wink.gif
ScarMySoul
Thank you both! I shall put them where I feel they should be if need be AND I will add them to the first post! Thanks!

Michiyo, your piece is great! Pierrot, I moved yours to Advanced, that's where I personally feel yours should go. smile.gif
Rainshine
Oh, I totally forgot about this! I've tried to scan mine, but my scanner is being a >:( and all the scans come out looking really bad. :c Oh well, I'll find a way to get a good picture of my drawing.
And wow, I thought mine was pretty good. You guys' are amazing! ;___;
mellulah
Contest ends midnight tonight right? It'll be a miracle if I finish XD.
ScarMySoul
@ Rainshine: Can't wait to see your work!

@ mellulah: Yes! It ends tonight at midnight! So please get your work in! biggrin.gif

@ JaronLoach: I've uploaded your piece to the gallery since you were having trouble on your end! Please look at the description and feel free to let me know if you want something added to the description! biggrin.gif

----------------

Also if there are ANY questions that need to be answered by a mod and you're NOT getting a response quick enough, you can send me an IM on Yahoo Messanger... my sn is osthetochetowa. Be sure to identify yourself with you FMA.com sn so I know who you are. Thanks! biggrin.gif
MsLinn
God, I've been so busy, I've only sketched up some ideas so far. But I'll try to make it!

I have a few questions!

Is the deadline midnight in my country (Sweden) or in the US?
Can I include FMA OCs in my drawing?
Can you submit an animation to the gallery and contest? (I'm not sure if I will/can do one, but I thought I'll ask just in case!)
ScarMySoul
Ms Linn its Midnight US time since I'm in Chicago lol wink.gif I'd say you could have an OC character as long as there's a lurking FMA character in it... I know the rules above stated that it had to be something from FMA1, FMA BH, or COS etc.... as for an animation I'm going to say no, since it has to be the media in the form of digitally drawn, traditionally drawn or painted etc....

Hope that helps you out. smile.gif
MsLinn
ScarMySoul Thank you! biggrin.gif
mellulah
QUOTE (ScarMySoul @ Jan 7 2011, 12:02 PM) *
Ms Linn its Midnight US time since I'm in Chicago lol wink.gif

Hang on brain derping here, is that good or bad for me? How many hours till midnight in chicago?
A Pierrot's Aria
I think Chicago is 6 hours behind the UK, if that helps. oO

So, when it's Midnight there, it will be 6 in the morning here....Right now I think it's 1:19pm in Chicago.

I apologise if I'm completely wrong. laugh.gif
Tombow
QUOTE (MsLinn @ Jan 7 2011, 02:53 PM) *
I have a few questions!

Is the deadline midnight in my country (Sweden) or in the US?

@MsLinn - ScarMySoul is in U.S. Central Time zone, so, I believe Friday Midnight (11:59:59 PM) Jan 7 in ScarMySoul's time zone would be 7 AM Saturday, Jan 8 in Sweden (but please double check this with ScarMySoul smile.gif)

As for your other question, Gallery is equipped to take gif animations, but I'm not sure if the contest would take animations as the contest entry... please ask that to the contest manager. (For today, you can contact ScarMySoul by Yahoo instant messaging so that you can talk to her and ask her contest questions... please see her post here for her Yahoo id. smile.gif)

Anyway, everyone, you still have time!! Enter yours today (or whatever your time is in your time zone)!! ^^
mellulah
Thanks both of you, I'm not in such a rush now XD. 4 hours to midnight here and only halfway done.
Stupid photoshop corrupted my first file ;_;
ScarMySoul
@ MsLinn: You're welcome smile.gif

@ Mellulah: hey you still have time! I don't know where you reside BUT its midnight central time USA time... there's still 9 and a half hours before its done. smile.gif
mellulah
By some miracle, I have an image. Originally there was going to be alot more characters but then time got in the way :/. Not the best, what catagory would you recommend putting it in?

MsLinn
I'm sorry guys, I give up. I wont enter. It's almost four in the morning here and I'm not finished at all. *sigh* Too bad. Maybe we can have a Valentine's contest next month? tongue.gif
Tombow
^ @MsLinn - Sorry to hear that you gave up, but we understand, and I don't want you to get sick from lack of sleep and exhaustion. ^^ Hope you can grace us with your entry next time. ^^

@mellulah - I suggest you go ahead and enter into whichever the category you think is the best before the contest closes. As long as yours is entered in one of the three categories, ScarMySoul or Chiyo can check it later, and if needed move yours into the category that they think is the best for your entry. Make sure you state on your post which category you're entering, and make sure to upload yours into the corresponding category of the contest in the Gallery also to complete your entry into this contest. smile.gif
(BTW, I love Mei with ear muff! So cute! biggrin.gif)
ScarMySoul
@ MsLinn I agree with Tombow, don't make yourself sick trying to get things done. Its not worth it! I hope to see some of your pieces in future contests. smile.gif

@ mellulah I have added your piece to the first post and it looks fantastic! I've moved it to the "Intermediate" section though, I hope that's okay, I feel that it fits that category a little better. Thanks for your entry!

--------------------------

Its 10:13pm US Central Time, I will be closing this thread in approximately 1 hour and 47 minutes! smile.gif

-----------------------------

Thanks to the four people who entered the contest! The voting polls will be up shortly! Shouldn't take me very long to make since there was only four people that participated BUT that's okay! smile.gif

Once the voting is completed and the final judging by myself and Chiyo are done, the winners will be announced along with what prize they received. Thanks again! smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.