Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thread to post the JOY of FMA-1 anime! Post your bullet-point list of things you love about FMA-1 anime! (No deep analysis here please! And, please DO NOT bring up FMA:Brotherghood for comparison!!)
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1)
Misty- Nala
<Reminder> to potential posters:

This thread is for posting PURE CELEBRATION of "JOY of FMA-1 anime" ONLY, and NO content of comparing FMA-1 and FMA:Brotherhood anime, nor bad-mouthing of any FMA series on this thread, please.

If the poster feels he/she has to add some comments of comparing FMA-1 anime vs. FMA:Brotherhood or FMA manga on his/her post, then please use FMA-1 vs FMA:Brotherhood thread where such posts are deemed on-topic and appropriate.

Simply put, NO Putting-down (or comparative mentioning) of other FMA series on your post on this thread please, else it will be a good chance that your post may be moved to FMA-1 vs FMA:Brotherhood thread by our board staff. smile.gif
Thank you. smile.gif ~ Board staff

Since Brotherhood has come and 70% of the members have turned Brotherhood crazy (I know you used to be anime1 fans)*, (*Note from the Administrator of this board... please present the info source for this claim, or stop putting such claim as if that is the fact on our board, please. biggrin.gif ) I decided it's time for us few Anime 1 fans to get a topic in which we can praise this 2003 series. I'm not going to hide the fact that I hate the new adaptation and I have met some people here that share my feelings, maybe not to the extreme level as I but are not fans of the newer version. I want this to be a safe harbor for us few that still appreciate the older show and all the good memories it has given us.

Whether it be talk about the soundtrack, plot, characters, villains, art style... whether it be an essay or just a simple sentence, it's up to you, guys! tongue.gif

Also, I don't want this to turn into comparison discussion between 2003 and the newer version because it already has its topic. Furthermore, no badmouthing of first anime and praising of Brotherhood is allowed NO Bad-Mouthing of any FMA series, be it FMA-1, FMA:Brother hood, or FMA manga, PERIOD, as this thread is for posting the JOY of FMA-1 ONLY, please. - Edited by Board Staff. smile.gif
Luminarium
- The "fillers" and side stories.. I quite like them to be honest, and it actually does go into some depth that relates back to the storyline.

- Character presentation is actually quite well planned out - you fall in love with all the characters. You laugh with them, you cry with them, and you're excited for them when something good happens.

- The first closing song. I really, really, REALLY like it. It switches style of music so smoothly that it makes for a good easy-listening song. happy.gif

(I'll add more as I think of them)
Claudius
-The importance of Maes Hughes and his more developed association with the Brothers Elric.
-The idea that the Homunculus are failed-transmutations, giving a Frankenstein vibe to the dangers of Alchemy.
-Several characters given greater roles: Schieszka, Maria Ross, etc.
-Anime1's take of several of the Homunclus: Lust's human issues, Envy's family issues, Sloth's real identity.
-The realistic vibe of the series: that the heroes will have to make dark decisions with no chance of a way-out, the implication that mankind is the real source of all evils (with the Homunculus being just a symptom of the disease), resolutions done with nasty costs, etc.
-The shocking plot-twists being solid shocks, having future ramifications to the plot and characters (Roy and the Rockbells, Al's situation in the remainder of the series, Ed's...you know in ep. 50).
-The real world plot twist (and yes, there was really a Zeppelin raid on London the night of Edward's visit!).

I'll think of more later as well.
Luxuria-Cat
I love the first anime...it has a sadder story with more moral conflicting that I really liked. Some particular things I liked were ...
-the expansion of characters' roles such as Hughes (I love him...well most people do, I just like that he is there for longer, and his friendship with Roy is shown more, I love friendship stories) and Roze (I like her, she interested me even though her story made me sad)
-The way the homunculi were presented as having more human sides. Envy was interesting-although I kind of like manga Envy better-, Sloth's story was almost...familiar to me, and I saw where she was coming from in many of her actions and emotions, and I thought Lust was rather inspiring in that she tried to find a different, better life than what her situation gave her- I saw some of me in there, both in Lust and Sloth. I kind have the same opinion as Luminarium, almost all of the homunculi really had me loving them smile.gif
-Izumi's conflict with Wrath...
-Those little kids Rick and Reo (spelling of their names?) were cute. smile.gif
-The Devil's Nest chimeras being in the story for longer. They are so awesome biggrin.gif

ehh I'll add more when I think of more. biggrin.gif

EDIT: I thought Dante was a very well done villain. The idea that a human could cause it all is very interesting, and she had some really cool plot twists- not only the thing with her and Hohenheim, but looking back, I was really surprised when it was revealed she was Izumi's alchemy teacher.
rosieechan
Though I am insanely in love with the manga/Brotherhood, there are a few things I do like about FMA-1.

-The music
-The "darker" animation
-Maes Hughes (he's in there much longer!)
-Lust. Lust. Lust. I like her character depth. She's the only homunculus from FMA-1 I like a lot!
-those adorable Ishvalan kids smile.gif
-the suspense (though the manga has 10x more tongue.gif)
-I liked the way they presented Roy vs. Ed in one of the episodes biggrin.gif
-Roy was animated to be extremely good-looking. wink.gif
Vlyse
I do wildly prefer Brotherhood/manga, but I still think the first anime was really amazing.

Some stuff about the first anime for me include:

-A lot of character development for all the characters. In particular, I really liked the story of the two Ishbalan boys.
-Izumi. All of her. In action. A lot.
-Alphonse at the end of the series returning as a 10 year old boy with no memories of their journey. Even though I think it was hinted to be the price he had to pay to get his body back, I loved how this could also be interpreted that the soul in the Armor was not Alphonse after all - as the Armor's soul doubted in the "Heart of Steel" episode.
-And most importantly, the awesome Lust, Gluttony, and Envy trio that just hung out in some bar like they owned the place and just did stuff together.
starfruit89
I do like the brotherhood anime, but there were a few things about the first anime that I enjoyed:

- It's a different story with the same characters and a few new ones that are diffrent from the manga. Basically its more FMA I can enjoy:)

-I thought the fight scenes were done very well and the Greed fight is a lovely bit of animation I enjoy watching.

-The weighty look of the drawing style and the dvd covers!

-Michiru Oshima's music is simply amazing.

-This was one of the first anime series I finished and later owned.

-I always thought it was an amazing feat in itself that the first anime could take what is only the begining of the manga and create its own story around that material. Although I guess that is credit due to the writers.
Tombow
<Reminder>

Allow me to remind the potential posters here that 1.) this thread is currently being open as an experimental bases, and 2.) the only stipulation with which we keep this thread open, even though the post contents on this thread may get so very close to duplicating that on another already existing thread, FMA-1 vs FMA:Brotherhood thread, is that this thread is for posting PURE CELEBRATION of "JOY of FMA-1 anime" ONLY, and there would be NO post content of comparing FMA-1 and FMA:Brotherhood anime on this thread.

As such, if the poster feels he/she has to add some comments of comparison about FMA:Brotherhood or FMA manga on his/her post, then please use FMA-1 vs FMA:Brotherhood thread to express such opinion where such posts are deemed on-topic and appropriate.

Simply put, NO comparative MENTIONING of FMA:Brotherhood anime on your post on this thread please, else it will be a good chance that your post may be moved to FMA-1 vs FMA:Brotherhood thread. smile.gif

-------

<Program Note>

@Misty- Nala and Fullmetal666 - I moved your last posts to FMA-1 vs FMA:Brotherhood thread, as I think that thread would be better suited for your last posts. You can find your moved posts on this page of "FMA-1 vs FMA:Brotherhood" thread.

If we have to keep moving posts and we would eventually determine that posters/FMA-1 fans on our board are simply not capable of celebrating the "joy of FMA-1 anime" without putting down other FMA series, and/or not capable of applying the self-restraint of NOT to put negative light on FMA:Brotherhood anime or FMA manga while making posts here, then we may simply close this thread.
sad.gif

===

Anyway, thank you, and please go back to making more posts with "joy of FMA-1 anime"! biggrin.gif
Misty- Nala
I post my post here again, don't actually know why it go deleted (note from Mod: this is not true, as your previous posting was not deleted, but simply moved to the thread more suited for such post content, and, we had provided with you the reason for the moving, and the new location where you can find your moved post. smile.gif ) but I edit some of it. The parts which might be objectionable are omitted. Jeez, I can't form my posts right, can I. This isn't the first time tongue.gif

I'm very pleased with the number of reviews this topic has gotten and I have to say I agree with a lot of them. Here are some of my main props:

-The storyline
I like it when the writers take a different point of view and create their own versions. Some times it works, some times it fails; in FMA's case, the result is a marvellous, exciting anime. I really like the anime 1's story and timeline with the phase how the brother's got to Central. The plot is interesting, the themes go deep into human psyche; it's a psychological discovery. Maybe it is because I used to study psychology at second uppendary school but anime 1 has got something unexplainable that just draws me to it. Fma-1 isn't a happy show but when there is humor it's clever humor. Sometimes the jokes that aren't even meant to be those remind me of some appreciated, serious comedies.

-The ending
I didn't see it coming, and I think so are many of other FMA fans. To me, the conclusion in this anime was something that was very traditional yet somehow unique. I must say that it was the right way to end the show. It was sad as hell and made you feel incomplete (there comes the movie) but it fit. It matched the plot and made sense of everything. It kept the morals of the show and the principle of sacrifice and exchange e.g. alchemy being "made" of dead our-world people.

-The atmosphere
Be it sadness, regret, joy, hope, agony, I can feel it in this anime. I experience everything with the characters and live the events with them. I cry tears as the main characters die. It's a very angst-ridden show but it makes me think and that is the most important. Aren't the best fictional creations those that affect your everyday life? Despite the fact that the show mainly relys on emotions and making the audience feel them too I have never cried in Hughes' funeral scene ( ohmy.gif ). Yeah, that's right. I was sobbing at the end but couldn't get a single-tear in my eyes when that scene was on. I have tried several times but it has never worked.
This brings me to my last point:

-Maes Hughes
I like the treatment of this character in this anime series, and I think this character's massive popularity among many FMA fans are stemming form the treatment of this character in this anime series, who was in the picture too short a time. IMO he is a legend that many FMA fans love. I am one of those rare ones who dislike his obsession to show pictures. It isn't because the act itself is shameful which it in a way is; it's because Hughes has so much more in him. I like it that Fma 1 took this character under its wing and created a complex character who became a surrogate father for our main heroes.

I like it that despite the fact that he never went to war and so couldn't really understand Roy's depression and post-traumatic stress order, this man is shrewd when it comes to the world and the military. I like it that his existense spans and thus makes him more of a main character. He is the one to whom everyone come with their problems and he looks after everyone and still manages to keep his job. What a superman. Because of the long air-time he had in FMA-1, we get to see him interact with several people. I think all the times they had had together in this anime came handy when it was time for Hughes to go. Everyone's grief is understood well when I can reminesence all the previous episodes where Hughes played a part. Edward's grief, for example, had a good reason. I like the long "father-son"-like relationship they had in this amime, and how that explains Edward's grief well.

Also, didn't I love the scene where Hughes says his goodbye to Edward. By what I've heard, It seems to be loved by many other FMA fans. It is simple, very peaceful and yet I think it has more of an effect than the funeral scene and It's raining.

Note from Mod: In addition to the editing noted below, since this was the second time, the post was edited by the mod where the post claims/states OP's opinion as if that is a fact, such as "nobody can deny..." and changed the style of many statements such as "you love..." to "I love..." etc. so that the post'll fit to this thread where members declare his/her love for this anime and tell us why he/she loves FMA-1 anime in celebration of this anime, in the style of of "I love this anime because...," and not as an analytical discussion article on this FMA series. smile.gif Also, we have the pre-editing post in safe-keeping, in case needed by OP. Please contact Tombow in such case. smile.gif
KingLes98
I love the first FMA.
I think it could be put on the same level as most Hollywood masterpieces. It has an increadible soundtrack and there are a ton of memorable moments. One such moments that stick out is episode 7 (you know which scene I'm talking about.)
FMA-1 is also very emotional and I feel like the character depth is increadible, like Edward for instance, I felt like he starts out more like a kid but as time moves on he becomes a lot more like an adult. There are a lot more reasons why I love this show but if I've list them all than I would be here forever.
Equivalent-Exchange
I really loved the show because I think it had heart. You could really empathize with the characters, and, on more than one occasion, it made me cry. xD I loved how it explored morality issues, and, combined with the dark elements, it made FMA more real than any anime I've ever seen. I knew that from the moment I saw the "Barry the Butcher" episode. ^^; In any other anime, the hero would just brush himself off. But Edward acted like a human being and cried because he was afraid he'd die.
The devotion Ed and Al had for each other was beautiful, too!

I loved the music; it was gorgeous and perfect in every scene.

I loved almost all of the main characters. I think they were all well developed.

Hmm...
Ah yes. The voice acting was also awesome. I loved Edward's voice. (English dub)

I'd never got the chance to get really into the whole series until recently. I watched every episode back to back in the last 3 days. Except for a handful, I saw it all for the first time. I'm still trying to absorb everything. ._.
EdokunEdo
I loved how maes hughes stayed in the anime longer than Brotherhood
Ending 1 was beautiful and ninas ending was sad but you loved it anyway
Ed ACTUALLY knew nina properly like for a year instead of 3 days or something

Its just too many things to list about the series
A Pierrot's Aria
I like both series of FMA, but this series will always hold a special place in my heart. It's what got me into the whole series in the first place! I love the drama, and I liked that it was more slowly paced at the beginning compared to Brotherhood. (Don't get me wrong- I still adore Brotherhood). Also, even now, Hughes' death still makes me cry- not at the actual funeral, but at the part where his "spirit" is waving to Ed as the train passes the station; that makes me blubber. laugh.gif

And I love "Bratja"- such an amazing, beautiful song.
xUltimate_Shieldx
Although I prefer Brotherhood over the first anime, there are things I like better in the first anime.

The coloring had a more darker effect, which I liked. The background's were gorgeous as well. And the music - I could listen to the music all day long.

I did enjoy the filler. I think it's entertaining and gives a nice break from the constant moving of the serious plot. It shows a lighter side to things.

And even though I rant about the first anime a lot nowadays, I don't think it's a bad anime. The first anime was the first version of FMA I had seen (I didn't read the manga until after I had finished it) and when I watched it I thought it was a very good anime and I enjoyed watching it whenever I could. For that, there will always be a special place in my heart for that anime and I can never truly "hate" it.

Another random thing: I liked its use of small details. They paid more attention to the background people and the little things they did when they talked and what not. I don't know if that makes sense, but it's something I always like when I watch the first anime from time to time.
lovechibi
i love the first FMA. i also like the brotherhood, but the first one was more impactful for me because it was a different story. when i saw brotherhood, i had already read the comic so knew the story hehe
- i like the voiceactors in the first one better bc i got used to them
- i couldn't believe the quality of the story when it was a original anime story (the originals tend to drag on or not as exciting as the manga: just my opinion)
- i also liked lust a lot better in the first one as well
- the music. every single one of them fits perfectly with FMA!

and there's many more which i can't think of right now~

OT: btw. there's a MOE TOURNAMENT going on right now and ROY MUSTANG is in SEMIFINALS. I made a thread about it. The voting starts tomorrow! If anyone is interested, please check out my thread.
kazare
I like the first one but I liked them both.

The difference is that the first one concentrates on their loss.
This one shows the dark side of everything.
And this one has good music.

That's my opinion.
Tombow
<Program Note>

@Mihael Keehl - Welcome to our board! ^^ I think we have better "home" for your post where we post the comparison of FMA-1 and FMA:Brotherhood anime, whereas on this thread here members are to post simply why we like this first anime with the bullet-point type list of things we like about this anime, and celebrate the goodness of this anime, as this thread is to post the JOY of FMA-1 anime, and not the comparative analysis of both series. tongue.gif So, I moved your post to FMA-1 Vs. FMA:Brotherhood Discussion: Comaparing FMA-1 anime series vs FMA:Brotherhood, How each/both series measures up in your opinion? thread. biggrin.gif You can find your post at it's new home here. smile.gif
Mihael Keehl
QUOTE (Tombow @ Jul 5 2011, 11:20 PM) *
<Program Note>

@Mihael Keehl - Welcome to our board! ^^ I think we have better "home" for your post where we post the comparison of FMA-1 and FMA:Brotherhood anime, whereas on this thread here members are to post simply why we like this first anime with the bullet-point type list of things we like about this anime, and celebrate the goodness of this anime, as this thread is to post the JOY of FMA-1 anime, and not the comparative analysis of both series. tongue.gif So, I moved your post to FMA-1 Vs. FMA:Brotherhood Discussion: Comaparing FMA-1 anime series vs FMA:Brotherhood, How each/both series measures up in your opinion? thread. biggrin.gif You can find your post at it's new home here. smile.gif

Lol....you know when you're new...but yes, I liked the first anime more than the second.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.