Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Volume 27 cover & Omake, including "Hohenheim" ulter-mini gaiden!! Vol 27 contains chapters 107 & 108, plus Gaiden "Another Journey's End"
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Manga
Pages: 1, 2
hilary
All I could say..
Volume 27's cover is the most amazing and touching cover
that I've ever seen .
Arakawa really did a great job ,really.

Link to Vol. 27 promo vid posted here

Awesome Vol. 27 "Hohenheim" super short mini-gaiden and translations posted here.

Link to view rest of Vol. 27 Omake and the spine, etc. is posted here.

Translations of 4-koma Omake #1 ~ #6 by Anakishi posted here.

Translations of 2 "Father" Omake by Nagareboshi posted here.

----
Details:
鋼の錬金術師 27
2010/11/22 out
cost:¥ 450

Misty- Nala
Wow! That is... unbelievable. Sure this setting was to be expected, I mean, it is the end. But the lightning, the armor head, the ripped automail. Beautiful, It seems like human Al will be in the spine, in full clothing and all.

The blood looks weird. I don't if it is because this is a painting(?). Okay, it probably isn't a painting. The blood just looks like watercolor. In manga, Ed seemed to be bleeding out, thick blood and everything. Well, the thick blood is visible coming from his mouth.
Sorry, I'm ruining the mood, I know! It just looks like rash.
Trakonda
Ooh, I love how the logo is all glittery this time! (at least it looks like it?)

Anyway, that's just really beautiful. But I have to agree with Misty-Nala, some of the blood actually looks a bit weird. (especially what's on his forehead and hair, I dunno. The rest of it looks okay though)

Other than that, perfect. So this is the last volume that will come out, huh?
Tombow
Nice cover!! Thank you, hilary!! happy.gif

Here we are, volume book for the final chapters! And, appropriately, Ed is on the cover (of course! ^^)!!

And, ....glittery title? Haven't seen that coming. XP I guess it's for the final vol. book.
(ETA: oh wait, they may not be glitters... please see my next post below for my second thought on how this title looks.)

About the blood looking like water-color-paintingish, as mentioned in posts above... maybe they did not want it looking too gory because this is the cover pic? unsure.gif

Anyway, great looking cover! ^^
MsLinn
Oh, gosh, I actually teared up. He looks so serene.
Hm, I see nothing wrong with the blood...
Michiyo-
The cover is beautiful. It really gives the feeling that it's the end. And, I like that the final volume has a glittery title. smile.gif

I expect Ed on the spine, as human Al already got one.
Tombow
About the "glittering" title, I'm getting a second thought, that these may not be glitters, but like, kind of sparkles of illuminating lights...

I just compared this book's title to all the previous cover tittles on Japanese volume books.

(Warning: MAJOR series final SPOILER below!!)

And, I see that previous volume books all had the title in SOLID colors, whereas the title in this volume is in Gray, and....

...this title looks kind of transparencyish, like, as if it's fading away! ohmy.gif
Is this symbolizing fading away of the title, Fullmetal Alchemist, in part as a book title because this is the last volume book, but more so symbolizing the end of the existence of the alchemist known as Fullmetal Alchemist???

If so...wow, another clever way of showing the content of this volume, but not surprising, knowing how smart Arakawa-sensei has been in this series, with her way of hiding story hints in many ways throughout the series.

(But, looking at that way, looking at that title cover makes me kind of sad.. T.T )
Kasumisty
Yay! Glittery glitter!

But the first thing that came to my mind is that Ed has strange looking face...

The cover is allright in general.
A Pierrot's Aria
Wow, this is wonderful! Ed's face looks fantastic, so serene and genuinely happy looking. biggrin.gif I also think the blood looks fine too, has a nice texture. tongue.gif
Rainshine
Wow, what a beautiful cover. <3
It's really touching, and Ed just looks so happy.
I love the door of truth behind him, and how his metal arm is just kind of falling apart, and what Tombow pointed out about the fading title. ;_; You really just get the feeling that this is the end.
Misty- Nala
QUOTE (Trakonda @ Oct 21 2010, 04:24 PM) *
Ooh, I love how the logo is all glittery this time! (at least it looks like it?)

Anyway, that's just really beautiful. But I have to agree with Misty-Nala, some of the blood actually looks a bit weird. (especially what's on his forehead and hair, I dunno. The rest of it looks okay though)

Other than that, perfect. So this is the last volume that will come out, huh?

Glittery logo???
I didn't pay much attention to the title tongue.gif Yeah, it does look glittery. Despite what Tombow said, I don't think it is fading away. I really like to think that it is glittery like "a glorious end". Well, we'll make a bet and see who wins, okay biggrin.gif

Yeah, the blood looks weird in the hair, as you pointed out. I have two theries:
Either the blood was like dabbed into the hair
Edward's hair is transparent.

But it does look weird.

Again, about the title. Some of you keep saying that fading title is another way of showing how things were thought out. I want to ask: Did Arakawa have anything to do with the covers, other than the cover and spine picture?
Forsaken Love
Ah what a gorgous cover, I love it! I don't see anything wrong with the blood at all xD Think the whole thing looks great
Rainshine
Agreeing with Forsaken Love here, I don't see anything wrong with the blood. It just looks kind of like watercolor paints, which I think looks really nice.
I think Arakawa does use paints for the covers, so it could actually be watercolor.
Tombow
I forgot to mention.. I'm with A Pierrot's Aria on Ed's expression, that he looks very serene. happy.gif
I like how he looks on this cover, with his golden eyes looking straight at us with his serene expression. smile.gif

OT (kind of ^^):
QUOTE (Misty- Nala @ Oct 21 2010, 03:37 PM) *
Glittery logo???
I didn't pay much attention to the title XD Yeah, it does look glittery. Despite what Tombow said, I don't think it is fading away. I really like to think that it is glittery like "a glorious end". Well, we'll make a bet and see who wins, okay biggrin.gif

@Misty- Nala - Gahaha, sorry, but no bet from me. XD As you know, this isn't a "competition," nor "who would win or lose" XD (At least, not to me, anyway. To me, it's about sharing/exchanging views and through it, possibly multiplying the "viewing pleasure/joy" for all. ^^ )
Some people may see this title and view it as "glitters to decorate the last volume book" and that may make them happy, and if so I'm very happy to know that. ^^ Or, others view this title and may find yet other completely different interpretations, and if so I hope they can share their interpretations with us, and I would be glad to learn those also. smile.gif
4de
thank you hilary,
i love the cover, i 'm a little sad and happy at the same time
Rainshine
Ohman I'm just spamming this thread today, aren't I?

But there's another thing that I didn't notice until I zoomed in closer to the picture - Al's helmet is all scratched up and weathered, and well, so is Ed. He's covered in blood and scars, his shirt's torn, and his automail fell apart all together. It just shows how much the two of them have been through and had to get through, to get to this. c: It's kind of sweet.
Anakishi
That’s a really nice cover. Still totally speechless, not gonna repeat what everybody said already. Just add two things:

About the blood: I’m with those who see nothing wrong with it. First, because it does look a lot like watercolor; second, because not all blood has to be thick blood, you can see fillets of thick blood coming out of his mouth and left arm, but the rest is more like hardened blood that stuck there.

And about the glittery title: at first, it looked ridiculously over-the-top to me, but after reading Tombow’s and Misty-Nala’s interpretations, I’m starting to think it could actually be well-thought. To me, both ideas are correct. Well, we’ll have to wait until the book is actually in someone’s hands to confirm it, but if it is really “transparent” and glittery, that could mean something shining in glory, but fading away really quickly, the “glorious end” that Misty-Nala pointed out. And I’m already getting sad sad.gif

On a side note: don’t know if this has been mentioned already, but I bought Japanese volumes 1-25 two months ago and was quite amused by finding out volumes 24-25 (probably 26, too) have their titles in shiny metallic colors, unlike all the rest. I don’t know why, but it makes me giggle, like, what’s the point? Is it because it's ending, or they actually went out of visually-distinguishable colors? And now, we have glitter, lol, I could have seen that coming.
Pyroclasm
Thanks hilary. Oh... This is it, isn't it? *sniffle* I don't see anything wrong with the blood on the cover, I think it looks quite good. I admit, I laughed when I saw the sparkling title, but it's still a nice touch nonetheless. smile.gif
RoyxRizaFan
Oh, I wanted to cry all over again just looking at this!! Leave it to Arakawa to outdo herself everytime. By just showing one character and an armor head, she makes me want to bawl!!

Absolutely beautiful cover, one of my favorites by far.

QUOTE (Tombow @ Oct 21 2010, 01:03 PM) *
...this title looks kind of transparencyish, like, as if it's fading away! ohmy.gif
Is this symbolizing fading away of the title, Fullmetal Alchemist, in part as a book title because this is the last volume book, but more so symbolizing the end of the existence of the alchemist known as Fullmetal Alchemist???

Okay, now I REALLY want to cry T____T
FMAobsessed
Thanks hilary!

I like the cover and don't see anything wrong with the blood. Probably because I don't know how to paint like Arakawa.
Nacchan
Tombow, as I read your suppositions for the title I started crying like a child ;_;''

It's like Hagaren is ending for the second time, so sad...;_;
shanryelric
*cries*
this is a beautiful cover, as expected from Arakawa Hiromu!! I love the composition and the colors AN the 'sparkling' title fonts.
amestris_star
All I can say about this is that it's amazing and I really can't wait to get my hands on it smile.gif
Michiyo-
There's a TVCM for Vol. 27 on the Gangan site:
http://gangan.square-enix.co.jp/tvcm/comic...en27/index.html

(Wow, the title is very glittery! laugh.gif)

EDIT:
I just found this on Baidu:
http://tieba.baidu.com/f?kz=937405217

A 3 pages long short story about Trisha and Hohenheim from Vol. 27!
Page 1
Page 2 & 3

It looks a touching story where (chapter 108 spoiler!)Hohenheim and Trisha meet again after his death. ;_;
Kasumisty
Wow, wanted to post this, but I see you went before me. So sweet.

Wonder what they are talking about.
Tombow
Thank you, Michiyo-! happy.gif

*reads the last omake of FMA manga (assuming ^^)*

OMG. That one is so touching!!!

I have to go and take care of some other stuff now (got so much to take care of T.T), but I'll try to post the translation later (if nobody posts before me) ^^
A Pierrot's Aria
That Trisha and Hoho omake is so...beautiful. That brought tears to my eyes. It's so short but it says so much. I adore the last panel.

I won't lie, I did shed a tear. laugh.gif
4de
thank you michiyo for the info
A last short story!i'm happy
scarlette
Wiiii, Thank you Michiyo- X3
the last story looks adorable
RoyxRizaFan
It's amazing that Arakawa has created such a strong story that just looking at the omake, without even knowing what they're saying, got me choked up.
deet-tastic
Oh wow oh wow
Arakawa is amazing. That omake, even though it's so short, is perfect.
I can't even read everything they're saying but I can feel it.
That last panel is so touching ;,;
Tombow
Very quick-translations. biggrin.gif

Vol 27 "Hohenheim" Omake:
Warning! Series Final Spoiler below!
(Highlight to read the content)

Page 1 (<-- click to view the Omake, click on + to enlarge)
SFX step step
--------------------------
SFX step
Hohenheim: "Hey,"
Trisha: "Ah?" "You're here already?"

Page 2 (<-- click to view the Omake, click on + to enlarge )
Trisha: "You've told me that you were going to 'grow old with the boys'." "You broke your promise."
Hohenheim: "Eh?"
Hohenheim: "Oh, that's harsh." "You were the one who broke the promise first."
SFX (Trisha) Ahaha
Trisha "That's true."
Hohenheim: "Ed called me 'Dad'," "And I was able to shake hands with Al in flesh."
Hohenheim: "Oh, and listen to this, Trisha," "They got back their bodies in the way I have never imagined!" "And, they have plenty of friends around them!" "They have people who'd shed tears of joy for them!"
Trish: "..........Then, it's all right now?"

Page 3 (<-- click to view the Omake, click on + to enlarge )
Hohenheim: "Yeah," "Our job is done."
---------------------------
Hohenheim: "The world around them will help them become strong men for the rest of the way."

This omake is so touching and satisfying at the same time!
Arakawa is ..simply...amazing! ^^
Billea_the_Turtle
That cover is just amazing! I can't wait to get it when it comes out here in the US, and I wonder who is on the spine...

As for the omake, I thought it was really beautiful and touching. How nice of Arakawa to give us that.
scarlette
Yeah!, thank for translation Tombow
>O<
I'm so excited!
Kasumisty
Thank you for the translation. That short omake was very sweet.

So Hohenheim was torn between two options ;; I would prefer him to stay with his kids, but that's okay.

Hohenheim: "Ed called me 'Dad',"

He sure likes to brag about it a lot tongue.gif Well, I guess it was important for him.
Michiyo-
Thanks for the translation, Tombow! ^^

It was such a sweet and touching story, the last panel and the last lines are my favorite.
Misty- Nala
I had a vague memory Hohenheim promised something but I never knew what it was...
This was sweet and so sad yet so hopeful and loving at the same time. They are finally together.

Though, it would have been nice to have Hohenheim stay with his boys a bit longer...
Michiyo-
Here are some Vol. 27. scans from Baidu:

Vol 27 4-koma omake, spine, etc. (Warning, the pics have spoilers for the end!)

The omakes and 4-komas look great, and I love that sketch of Roy and Riza. wub.gif
nonamexyz
QUOTE (Michiyo- @ Nov 20 2010, 02:53 AM) *
Here are some Vol. 27. scans from Baidu:
http://tieba.baidu.com/f?kz=938360890(Warning, the pics have spoilers for the end!)

The omakes and 4-komas look great, and I love that sketch of Roy and Riza. wub.gif

Thank you very much ^^
With those 4-komas, all my questions about this manga have been answered O_O
She really did a great job :0_0
Mhacy
Thanks for the link Michiyo-, Those looks awesome, I also love that roy and riza sketch, they really look good together biggrin.gif, the 4-komas look amazing and funny happy.gif
RoyxRizaFan
@ Tombow - Thanks sooo much for the translation! That was so sweet and beautiful! I got teary eyed T_T I just loved the complexity of Hohenheim's character, and his relationships with his sons, so this was the perfect way to end it.

@ Michiyo - Thanks for the link! I ADORE that sketch of Roy and Riza, and the one of Ed and Al, too. The omakes look hilairous as usual...oh GOD with the Xiao Mei, I laughed so hard!
starfruit89
Wow! What an amazingly touching omake. Aw What Trisha said was so sweet and Hohenheim's dialogue was really touching! I still bad for the guy. This really made my day. happy.gif u
Ropespinner
Thanks for the link for the omakes!

So, is Amestris located on the North Pole, and the FMA world planet Earth has the exact same continents as (our) Earth, or did Arakawa just draw the planet like that for a spoof omake so that it would be recognized..? Or the continents are actually supposed to be the same, but Amestris isn't actually on North Pole, and the angle was chosen because Earth is more recognisable from that angle? Or did she not think about it at all and just drew it and I'm seriously overthinking this?
Tombow
You're welcome, everyone. ^^

And, thank you, Michiyo- for the link!

Gahaha, love the rest of Omake! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Ropespinner @ Nov 20 2010, 08:25 PM) *
So, is Amestris located on the North Pole, and the FMA world planet Earth has the exact same continents as (our) Earth, or did Arakawa just draw the planet like that for a spoof omake so that it would be recognized..? Or the continents are actually supposed to be the same, but Amestris isn't actually on North Pole, and the angle was chosen because Earth is more recognisable from that angle? Or did she not think about it at all and just drew it and I'm seriously overthinking this?

@Ropespinner - On that panel, pic is showing where Father is standing, and it's not necessarily indicating the North Pole, I think. ^^
S.F. Thunder
I'm not one to cry when reading stories, but before I even read the translation for that omake, I was getting a bit watery eyed. Thanks, Tombow. for the translation!

Man, I love Arakawa. I have never been more satisfied with the conclusion of a story.
Pyroclasm
Thanks for the translations, Tombow, and for the link to the pictures, Michiyo! That Trisha/Hohenheim omake is so very touching... ;_; And I just LOVE that sketch of Roy and Riza! It's awesome! And, ha, Xiao May... XD
Misty- Nala
One thought came to my mind a while after reading the omake. If that is going to be the last thing in FMA manga books, I think it symbolises the impact Trisha and Hohenheim had even after they were gone. So, basically this makes Trisha and Hohenheim the true heroes of the story. They made Ed and Al and their actions and deaths had a major impact on the boys and basically led them to try Human Transmutation. Consequently, this led them to army and finding out about Philosopher's Stone and saving Amestris.
In my opinion, Trisha and Hohenheim ought to have been given much more regard.
Hoshino Hikari
I wasn't expecting such an omake. This is... touching. Even though FMA has finished, it is still incredibly moving. I am sure I will never forget the feelings it brought to me. It makes me shudder.
Well... I am glad to see that Hohenheim is in peace at last, with Trisha. He suffered so much. It is surprising to see them "living" whereas they should be dead. Plus, this manga was always saying that we could not bring someone to life. So it is just like an epilogue, isn't it ? Anyway, it is really soothing to see them together. Smiling. Hohenheim seems so happy. I didn't think there would be such pictures and this dialogue between them, but this end is definitely the most appropriate one. In front of the house their children burnt, they are peacefully leaving this world, hand in hand.
I agree with you, Misty- Nala. I would like to honour these characters. They deserve to be in peace.

A part from that, I just love volume 27's cover. I've never seen a cover so beautiful, this is my favourite one without hesitation. I trembled when I saw it for the first time. Magnificent.

Thank you very much for the translation, Tombow, and thank you Michiyo- for the link. The sketches are great.
Anomia Grey
Awww, I nearly chocked when I saw the Hohenheim and Trisha omake. Trisha almost looked a bit guilty...

Also, as bratty as it may sound someone PLEASE translate the other omakes too! ^^
he03
Thank you so much for this! LOL @ Selim 2.0 and Grumman. Reminds me of those 'Push button; receive bacon' jokes. laugh.gif And OMG, Mrs. Bradley!!! Considering all that she lost after the Promised Day, it's great to see her retaining a small measure of happiness. Mother and son are undoubtedly doing very well!

Those character drawings look fantastic, even if they are simple sketches. Love Arakawa's style; so effortlessly elegant.

D'AWW, Trisha/Hoho!! How fitting that the last omake focuses on the two people who were practically at the centre of the transmutation circle that is FMA's storyline!

Arakawa sensei, maraming salamat po!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.