Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Teach Us Japanese!
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Spam Central
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
ed's secret agent
Tell us, teach us, & let's learn some Japanese. biggrin.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Dancing Alchemist
Well here's a list of some words (Tango):

Doko (doh-koh) - Where
Nan/Nani (nahn) or (nah-nee) - What
Dare (dah-reh) - Who
Naze (nah-zeh) - Why
Itsu (ee-tsoo) - When
Do/Ikaga (doh) or (ee-kah-gah) - How
Ikura (ee-koo-rah) - How Much
Ikutsu (ee-koo-tsoo) - How Many

Those were the first few Words (Tango) I learned.
Phoenix_alchemist
This may be useful:

鋼 hagane (ha-ga-nei) Steel or 'fullmetal'
の no (no) used to discribe something
錬金術 renkinjutsu (ren-kin-ju-tsu) Alchemy
師 shi (shi) Person, (equivilent to -ist)

It's on the top left side of the page laugh.gif
xrninja
QUOTE(Phoenix_alchemist @ Jan 29 2005, 07:15 PM)
[snapback]101712[/snapback]

and "fullmetal" is just the liberty studio BONES took in translating the title, as "fullmetal" would actually be something like "zenbu kinzoku no." so fullmetal only works in the "hagane no renkinjutsushi"-> fullmetal alchemist context.
blueices
Instead of doing something serious (like teaching actual grammar) I thought I'd teach random Japanese slang and epithets. laugh.gif
Some may actually be usefull.
(who needs pleasantries anyway???)...hehe

sukebege - lecherous face
futame to mirarenai - shocking, hideous (lit. can't look at twice)
kusottare-baba - s***** old goat
seibai wo shite kureru zo - I'll destroy you. happy.gif
kisama no baba wo yatchao - Screw your mother
Mike
Thank you Bluecies, hopefully these words will be useful in the near future. If not, the future.
ed's secret agent
Thanks evrybody! Oh and Blue, You might want to put the
pronounciation so we know how to say it. Although, you
don't have to if you don't want to.I'm writing these down. smile.gif

Keep posting, keep learning! cool.gif [< I know I will...]
xrninja
QUOTE(ed's secret agent @ Jan 30 2005, 03:11 PM)
Thanks evrybody! Oh and Blue, You might want to put the
pronounciation so we know how to say it. Although, you
don't have to if you don't want to.I'm writing these down. smile.gif

Keep posting, keep learning! cool.gif  [< I know I will...]
[snapback]102674[/snapback]

you may want to learn the basics of japanese first, like the alphabet, which will help you in pronounciation because there are basically only 6 sounds: a, i, u, e, o, n.

the "a"s are a, ka, sa, ta, na, ha, ma, ra, ya, ga, za, da, ba, and pa. they're all pronounced like "ah," so "ma" would sound like the "ma" in "mama."

for the "i"s, just substitute the above "i"s with "i"s. they all sound like "ee." so for pronounciation, "pi" would be the "pi" in "pikachu."

for the "u"s, they all sound like "ooh." so for pronounciation, "pu" would sound like "poo."

for the "e"s, they're "eh." so for pronounciation, "se" would be the "se" in "send."

for the "o"s, they just sound like "oh." like the "oh" in "oh my God."

"n" is only seen at the end of a word, and you'd just add an "nn" noise to the end.

there are little subtleties to the pronouciations that you can't really get across in writing, but oh well.
QUOTE(blueices @ Jan 29 2005, 07:55 PM)
kisama no baba wo yacchao - Screw your mother
[snapback]101766[/snapback]

so: soo-keh-beh-geh.
"fu"s are a little different as it's sort of a breathy cross between "hu" and "fu," and "r"s are a cross between "l" and "r." but basically it's foo-tah-meh-toh-mee-rah-reh-naee, with the last part rhyming with "pie."
the ones with double consonants, like "kusottare," indicate a jump before the double consonants. so ya <jump> chao. and "wo" is pronounced the same as "o." the rest you can figure out yourself. tongue.gif
eerabbit
aahah...i only know tourist peoples japapnese [which probably isnt accurate dry.gif ]

like...
store: mise
too expensive : takasugimasu
too big: ookisugimasu
xrninja
QUOTE(eerabbit @ Jan 30 2005, 03:50 PM)
too expensive : takasugimasu
too big: ookisugimasu
[snapback]102741[/snapback]

or takasugiru, or takasugi. or ookisugiru, or ookisugi. smile.gif basically you drop the "i" off of the adjective (some you can't do it do, like "kirei") and add some form of -sugiru. so too small would be "chiisasugi," too old would be "furusugi," etc.
eerabbit
are you japanese?
xrninja
nope, i'm chinese. i'm taking my fourth year of japanese at school.
eerabbit
4th..so you're in college/ graduating high school?
xrninja
japanese 4 honors, senior in high school. smile.gif

^ japanese is "nihongo," japan is "nihon" or "nippon." high school is "koukou."

tongue.gif and gluttony's "can i eat [him/her/it], lust?" is "tabete mo ii, rasuto?"
blueices
thats one of the best lines ever

"Tabete ii???????????????" laugh.gif

More random/rude phrases just for kicks: tongue.gif (I'm too lazy to properly teach, and xrninja seems to be holding the fort well) happy.gif

hinekureta seishitsu no hito - Someone with a warped mind

Random funny dialogue (Something you'd probably read in these forums) laugh.gif

A: Kono yo na roku-de-nashi na yatsu wa kuso no yaku ni mo tatanai. Uchi-kubi ni shitara ikaga desho ka. (This rascal is not worth a s****. How would it be if I decapitated him?) laugh.gif

B: Kawaiso to omowanai ka (Wouldn't you feel sorry for him?)

A: Zenzen. Datte doku ni mo kusuri ni mo naranai shiriomo ja nai ka (Not in the least. Can't you see the loafer is of no value to anyone?)

That was my random contribution for the day (enjoy) rolleyes.gif
Mike
Oh! I know konichiwa!
ed's secret agent
The pronounciation is gonna take me a while... dry.gif

While you're here, why don't one o' you post swear words in japanese? biggrin.gif

I'm gonna go practice for a while... wink.gif

And, for the record, nobody is perfect therefore, practice does not make perfect... smile.gif
Aqua_Alchemist
hon ton nay- really ...the amount of times i've heard that.....

Watashi no namae wa X desu (where X is your name)- My name is X

Here are numbers 1-10 as well (im not bothered to explain the construction past 10 it isn't too hard though lol):

ichi - 1
ni - 2
san - 3
yon - 4
go - 5
roku - 6
nana - 7
hachi - 8
ku - 9
jyu-u - 10
xrninja
QUOTE(Aqua_Alchemist @ Jan 31 2005, 03:09 PM)
hon ton nay- really ...the amount of times i've heard that.....

ichi - 1
ni - 2
san - 3
yon - 4
go - 5
roku - 6
nana - 7
hachi - 8
ku - 9
jyu-u - 10
[snapback]103398[/snapback]

you mean "hontou ni" or just "hontou."

7 is both "nana" and "shichi," 4 is both "yon" and shi," and 9 is actually "kyuu." ku is used in special cases, like september is "ku gatsu" and not "kyuu gatsu."

@ mike: konnichiwa with two n's. tongue.gif

@ secret agent: www.insultmonger.com should have a very large list. some of the spelling's off, and a lot of the translations are more harsh than they actually are or are also off. like "kuso yarou" doesn't mean "f off," more like "<profanity of some sort> bastard." i've actually never heard of most of the ones listed. and some of them aren't bad unless you use them in a different context.
Elderberry
'Kuso Yarou' probably translates to something like "d*** jerk"-ish... "Yarou" by itself usually just means guy or person (something like that)...(You've heard Ed say "BAKA Yarou" plenty of times, ne? happy.gif)
Falling_Man
Well at least you can take Japanese at your school... Stupid prep school standards... dry.gif

Can we make requests? If so, how do I say that and whats Oro mean?
blueices
oroka can mean stupid...(is that what you meant?)

As for making requests, you could say that

X wa nihongo de nan to iimasuka? (fill in X with whichever word, you're curious about in English)

In general I can answer random things, but I'm sure those who have been studying longer will be able to be more helpful since:

私は九月から日本語をべんきょうしているからまだへたです。
Falling_Man
Nah. ORO. Kenshin uses it a lot in the RuroKen manga. I think its used as an interjection of some kind.
alchemist x
oro is a funny word
eerabbit
will some translate al's little blurb before each ep like it is? without rearranging the verbs and stuff in to normal order. ive been trying to but its not going well...

thanks x]
xrninja
QUOTE(Falling_Man @ Feb 1 2005, 05:34 PM)
Nah. ORO. Kenshin uses it a lot in the RuroKen manga. I think its used as an interjection of some kind.
[snapback]104276[/snapback]

oro doesn't actually have a definition because it's just a sound kenshin makes. like, one of my friends always goes "NGAH!" whenever she gets poked, or trips, or something, and it's just a sound specific to her.
QUOTE(eerabbit @ Feb 1 2005, 06:16 PM)
will some translate al's little blurb before each ep like it is? without rearranging the verbs and stuff in to normal order. ive been trying to but its not going well...
[snapback]104311[/snapback]

not sure what you mean by not rearranging, but here:

the japanese version:
hito wa nanika no gisei nashi ni, nani mo eru koto wa dekinai.
nanika wo eru tame ni wa, doutou no daika ga hitsuyou ni naru.
sore ga renkinjutsu ni okeru "toukakoukan" no gensoku da.
sono koro, bokura wa sore ga sekai no shinjitsu da to shinjiteita.

my translation:
people cannot gain anything if they don't sacrifice something.
in order to gain something, a sacrifice of equal value becomes necessary.
that is the principle of the Law of Conservation in alchemy.
at that time, we believed that to be the truth of the world.

the wording is a little awkward in the translation, but i tried translate close to the original. some definitions of the words:
line 1: "hito" is people, person; "nanika" is anything; "gisei" is sacrifice; "eru" is gain, "dekinai" is cannot do.
line 2: "tame" is like "for the sake of; "doutou" is equal, "daika" i don't think is in my dictionary but i'll assume it's something like "value," "hitsuyou" is necessity, "naru" is the verb to change, to become.
line 3: "renkinjutsu" is alchemy, "okeru" is in, at, or on, "toukakoukan" is the law of conservation/equivalent exchange, "gensoku" is principle or rule.
line 4: "koro" is time, "bokura" is we [masculine], "sekai" is world, "shinjitsu" is truth, the root of "shinjiteiru," "shinjiru," is to believe in, trust in.

and all that's off of the top of my head because i'm too lazy to double check with the subs or the dictionary, but most of it should be right. happy.gif
eerabbit
yay thanks biggrin.gif
DarkWater Alchemist
Internet is really good for... education !!! tongue.gif

100 most important words used in anime : http://www.yale.edu/anime/glossary.html

You'll recognize alot of words in that list ^^
blueices
Is this a page of Yale's anime club? ::laughs::

The anime club at my school isn't so considerate (then again, most of us are taking Japanese) laugh.gif
thearchitect
Ohayo! Ogenki desu ka? That is about the extent of my Japanese skills, it means Hello! How are you? very helpful. Onegaishimasu is one that basically means, pardon me, we use it in Kendo a lot.
DarkWater Alchemist
That reminds me of

Onegai : please (when asking something, I believe)
Arigatou : thank you
Dozo : 'here you go' (when offering something)

Well, correct me if I'm wrong... I don't really know anything, but I adore my Japanese phrasebook biggrin.gif
Toby-Chan
QUOTE(xrninja @ Jan 29 2005, 08:28 PM)
QUOTE(Phoenix_alchemist @ Jan 29 2005, 07:15 PM)
[snapback]101712[/snapback]

and "fullmetal" is just the liberty studio BONES took in translating the title, as "fullmetal" would actually be something like "zenbu kinzoku no." so fullmetal only works in the "hagane no renkinjutsushi"-> fullmetal alchemist context.
[snapback]101727[/snapback]

Actually, Arakawa-Sensei used the Engrish "Fullmetal" title in the manga. You can see it on the cover pages of them. (I have volume 1)
xrninja
er, yeah, forgot to include that. hagane no renkinjutsushi with manga included.
Toby-Chan
Some of this is kinda reminding me of other forums where kids thought they knew Japanese from listening anime and sounding it out. sleep.gif;; That got some ridiculous conclusions. Sometimes fangirl Japanese gets to the point where it's not even worth correcting.

"Watashi skee desu!"
"So desnay!"
"Anata baka! (Ha, i bet u dont even kno wut i just said!1)"

While I'd encourage study of the Japanese language, I'd personally reccomend a book, a class, or at least a forum dedicated to the subject on which more qualified people post. Anime is a very poor way to learn the language. It can help with some speech issues, and help you find applications, but a basic grounding in the language would be wise.

Um, ignore me, if you wish. ::Retreats into shell::
eerabbit
eh? whats "watashi skee desu" mean?
er_ is "no" a possession thing? like your"'s" or something?
xrninja
QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Feb 3 2005, 06:53 PM)
Some of this is kinda reminding me of other forums where kids thought they knew Japanese from listening anime and sounding it out.  sleep.gif;;  That got some ridiculous conclusions.  Sometimes fangirl Japanese gets to the point where it's not even worth correcting. 

"Watashi skee desu!"
"So desnay!"
"Anata baka! (Ha, i bet u dont even kno wut i just said!1)"

While I'd encourage study of the Japanese language, I'd personally reccomend a book, a class, or at least a forum dedicated to the subject on which more qualified people post.  Anime is a very poor way to learn the language. It can help with some speech issues, and help you find applications, but a basic grounding in the language would be wise.
[snapback]106052[/snapback]

*groan* amen. i hate fangirl japanese with a vengeance and frequently have the urge to soundly beat users and abusers of it.

i also agree that anime is not a good foundation for your japanese knowledge. i've been taking japanese and school and the slang, intonation, and vocab i picked up from anime/manga have supplemented my japanese education a lot, but without prior basic knowledge of japanese, i wouldn't have been able to do much with what i picked up.
QUOTE(eerabbit @ Feb 5 2005, 09:20 PM)
eh? whats "watashi skee desu" mean?
er_ is "no" a possession thing? like your"'s" or something?
[snapback]107456[/snapback]

pretty much.
"watashi no hon." "my book."
"edo no tanjoubi." "ed's birthday."
"kyou no tenki." "today's weather."

"watashi skee desu" in real japanese is "watashi [ga] suki desu," which means "i like [it]." the "skee" is just how it's pronounced, but some people hear the "skee" and assume it's spelled like that. hence the need for formal japanese education.
Toby-Chan
QUOTE(xrninja @ Feb 6 2005, 12:56 AM)
"watashi skee desu" in real japanese is "watashi [ga] suki desu," which means "i like [it]." the "skee" is just how it's pronounced, but some people hear the "skee" and assume it's spelled like that. hence the need for formal japanese education.
[snapback]107565[/snapback]

Well, u's generally seem to almost drown in quickly spoken japanese, but not always.

And in more casual speech, you really could just drop the rest of the sentence and say "Suki desu", or even just "Suki". But it could also be interpreted wrong, since with the common abscence of pronouns and such, "Suki Desu" or "[I] Like" may be interpreted as "[I] like [you]".

So, a subject may be good, depending on what you're talking about and what's been mentioned already in conversationg. Real life example; giving Yuka's friend a birthday present, she gets a shamrock shaped bookmark, and she smiles and mentions, "Shamurokku o suki!" "I like shamrocks!".

Etc.

Then again, I'm very dumb in the ways of the language. Just a beginner.
Riza Babe
QUOTE(blueices @ Jan 29 2005, 08:55 PM)
Instead of doing something serious (like teaching actual grammar) I thought I'd teach random Japanese slang and epithets. laugh.gif
Some may actually be usefull.
(who needs pleasantries anyway???)...hehe

kisama no baba wo yatchao - Screw your mother
[snapback]101766[/snapback]

Lol I think this is gonna be useful when im pissed off lol thanks!! biggrin.gif
xrninja
QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Feb 6 2005, 11:54 AM)
Well, u's generally seem to almost drown in quickly spoken japanese, but not always. 

And in more casual speech, you really could just drop the rest of the sentence and say "Suki desu", or even just "Suki".  But it could also be interpreted wrong, since with the common abscence of pronouns and such, "Suki Desu"  or "[I] Like" may be interpreted as "[I] like [you]". 

So, a subject may be good, depending on what you're talking about and what's been mentioned already in conversationg.  Real life example; giving Yuka's friend a birthday present, she gets a shamrock shaped bookmark, and she smiles and mentions, "Shamurokku o suki!" "I like shamrocks!". 
[snapback]107844[/snapback]

yeah, i actually don't think i've ever just said "watashi suki desu." it's a little vague, so i usually go for "suki" or "suki desu," which is more to the point (depending on context), or something like "watashi wa sore ga suki desu," or "watashi wa taberu no ga suki desu." or just "taberu no/taberu koto suki!" tongue.gif
Mr Orange
Wow, I'm envious.
Want to learn japanese, but I don't know if that is possible. sad.gif
Have to look that up.
Falling_Man
Argh. I can't take it in school. THEY SHOULD MAKE IT A REQUIRED CLASS FOR PREP SCHOOLS! *continues to protest prep school ciriculum*

I also heard about a comp. program that teaches Jap. It was... weird though.

Any recommendations as to where I can go? I'm from that lame backwater "city" they're holding the Super Bowl at. dry.gif
eerabbit
where's that?
<-- not a big fan of superbowl..or any sport..
jeez..i hope high school has japanese classes..or it will be the 4 biggest years wasted in my life _ _,,
Toby-Chan
Don't get your hopes up. The likeliness of Japanese course at a public High School is like... none. Ours has the basic French, German, Spanish, and for some unexplainable reason... Native Ojibwe. o.O?
I'm a Spanish 3 student currently. I see more need for knowledge in Spanish, as there is a huge hispanic immigrant population here. (I already make use of it. A newer friend of mine is from Paraguay, and although she speaks rather good English, our bilingual conversations usually get much more effective translation.)

If you can, it'd be best to go to a class, but then again, I, the immortal hippocryte have not. I've done a little study on the internet, but I mostly go on books from the library (You'd be surprised what you'll find, even in a hick town), plus, My cousin lives in Japan, and visiting him was a big help in my language skills. I'm still a major moron, especially when it comes to writing (Kanji... eep!) or grammar, but I've been told I have good pronounciation.

What I'd highly reccomend learning first, is the basic Japanese alphabet, so you know exactly what they can and cannot pronounce. You don't need to memorize the Japanese kana, just the sounds, so to prevent mispellings and subsequent mispronounciations, and the like. Back in middle school, predating my larger interest in learning Japanese and such, I had a 'First Thousand Words in Japanese" Children's book that explained Japanese's use of syllables as alphabet. I probably benefitted from knowing that early on.

Anyhow, start with the library. (Repeat after me: "The Library is HOLY!")
xrninja
QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Feb 7 2005, 02:26 PM)
Don't get your hopes up.  The likeliness of Japanese course at a public High School is like... none.  Ours has the basic French, German, Spanish, and for some unexplainable reason... Native Ojibwe.  o.O? 
[snapback]108704[/snapback]

really? i go to a public high school and i take japanese there (we also have spanish, french, and chinese). i think most high schools in my area have japanese, but the SF bay area in CA is teeming with asians, so maybe that's why. actually, my japanese class has been all asian for all 4 years i've been in the class....right now we have maybe 4 korean people, 2 japanese people, and the rest are all chinese. i think some of the lower level japanese classes are more diverse, but mine turned out to be all asian. blink.gif
eerabbit
yay! theres hope for me yet x] the city in los angeles that i live in is about 86% asian
hidden_death
kisama-bastard XD
Toby-Chan
W00t! With my world's-most-crappy Japanese skills, I wrote my first Haiku!

(The poem itself is pretty bad too >>)

Anyone who is more well versed wanna let me know if I got the grammar right? biggrin.gif

死の イノセンス

私の血
は 今さむいか?
知らないの

Shin no Inosensu

Watashi no Chi
Wa ima samui ka?
Shiranai no
The Nature Alchemist
QUOTE(xrninja @ Jan 30 2005, 07:17 PM)
japanese 4 honors, senior in high school. smile.gif

^ japanese is "nihongo," japan is "nihon" or "nippon." high school is "koukou."

tongue.gif and gluttony's "can i eat [him/her/it], lust?" is "tabete mo ii, rasuto?"
[snapback]102788[/snapback]

your school actually teaches japanese? our high school only teaches German, Spanish (I'm taking), and French. I wish it tought Gaelic/ Irish (didn't spell Gaelic right, but oh well), though. I'd like to learn my home country's language. sad.gif

The only Japanese word I know is en and I only know what it means when I see it in a sentence, I can't tell you what it means straight off the back of my head.
Falling_Man
I'm in a similar situation to Nature, here. I also think they teach Dutch at my place... ?????

Anyway, I'm in a private school, so the likeliness of that is slim, I believe. What bites though is that the private school down the road teaches Jap. It's crazy though... why there and not here. *collaspes*
xrninja
@ nature: yup, most schools around here do. but a lot of schools around here, like mine, are about 30-50% asian, so maybe that's why. but i've attended this festival for high school japanese students nearby here every year and quite a few schools come.

@ falling: yeah, the private schools start teaching it earlier too. i know one near here, harker, that starts teaching when they're around middle school age. >P

QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Feb 10 2005, 03:25 PM)
W00t!  With my world's-most-crappy Japanese skills, I wrote my first Haiku!

(The poem itself is pretty bad too >>)

Anyone who is more well versed wanna let me know if I got the grammar right?  biggrin.gif

死の イノセンス

私の血
は 今さむいか?
知らないの

Shin no Inosensu

Watashi no Chi
Wa ima samui ka?
Shiranai no
[snapback]110988[/snapback]

laugh.gif nice! technically you can stick "ima" there, but for this kind of sentence it goes better with ima in the beginning.

actually, i wrote a haiku too last week for japanese tongue.gif the themes were "flowers" and "spring."

くしゃみ出る
花がめいわく
春きらい

kushami deru
hana ga meiwaku
haru kirai

yeah....i have allergies. *honk*
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.