Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brotherhood V. Manga
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Anime
The_Duchess
HAY!

Please PLEASE dont include any spoilers, even with the blackout.

I absolutly LOVE the manga of fma. (just read book 23, cant wait till 24 comes out) and i've only seen the first few episodes of brotherhood, and i was wondering... just how alike are the two?
The first handfull of episodes follow the manga almost word for word and scene for scene. unfortunatly i had to stop watching the show after missing 3 episodes straight.
Is it a 'must buy' dvd boxset? (i will probaly buy it reguardless...im obsessed with fma)

OH! and the characters names, like lao/martel/brosh do they stay the same or do they change them to match the original anime's versions of law/marta/bloch

OH! and one more thing... is the envy v. hughes scene going to make me cry again? a girl's gotta be prepaired!

Thanks People!
RaphieL
Hi, Brotherhood is somewhat like the manga, same storyline but changes little things that don't really matter like chapters 3 and 4 and adds more emotion into scenes and the first episode is just a filler. About the DVD, I would say it is a must buy, but i'm not really sure since funimation really messed up the DVD's a bit. The characters name will always change depending on region and tranlation so I'm not sure. And YES, HUGHES DEATH WILL MAKE YOU CRY!
AXavierB
It's kind of like a compressed version of the manga. Some things are cut out and abridged here and there, but the overall story and spirit is the same. I prefer the manga, myself, as I feel it's the more complete version of the story, but Brotherhood is still pretty great on its own.
Mr. Deathy
To get all the main points over:

-faithful manga adaption as a whole, with same ending
-heavily compressed first 20-30 episodes, with a lot of cut scenes and dialogue simply for the sake of getting through the manga faster
-Ishval flashback heavily suffered, much of it was missing and what was left was condensed
-last 30 or so episodes are far more faithful and cut very little
hawkflame
QUOTE (Mr. Deathy @ Aug 17 2010, 08:44 PM) *
To get all the main points over:

-faithful manga adaption as a whole, with same ending
-heavily compressed first 20-30 episodes, with a lot of cut scenes and dialogue simply for the sake of getting through the manga faster
-Ishval flashback heavily suffered, much of it was missing and what was left was condensed
-last 30 or so episodes are far more faithful and cut very little

That's correct, but I should also add that Brotherhood adds some of its own little touches that are kind of cool as well (won't spoil them for the OP).

Overall, it's pretty close. I might say I prefer the manga, but only by a little bit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.