Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New FMA Manga Gaiden (side Story) By Arakawa In September!
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Manga
Pages: 1, 2
mersaydee
ETA:
Gaiden is here, and we opened the discussion thread.
Please post your comments on New FMA Gaiden, "Another Journey's End" Content Discussion Thread. smile.gif

=====

Exciting news! Will it be an omake or a gaiden? Who will it feature? None of this is known yet, but what we do know is that Arakawa is writing and illustrating a brand new FMA "side story" for next month's edition of Monthly Shonen GanGan. happy.gif Info here:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-...ga-in-september
Megabyte117
Maybe we will see the story about Mustang's near future then biggrin.gif This sounds really awesome. Now there's something to wait for at the beginning of every month again.
A Pierrot's Aria
Wow wee! That's awesome! Especially since apparently she said she wouldn't be writing anymore on FMA...biggrin.gif I hope that it's quite a long side story!
edxwinryfan
That's great I can't wait to read it! happy.gif
Tombow
New Gaiden!!! ohmy.gif *happily dances around* (mentally.. since I'm actually sick right now XD)

Thank you so much mersaydee for bringing this awesome news!!! biggrin.gif

Can't wait to see Sept 11 issue of GanGan!!
(I checked that pic of GanGan's cover by zooming it like, 300%, but no...there is no caption on that cover to indicate the content of this Gaiden... guess we all have to wait. ^^)
LooneyLolita
Omg that's fantastic news! I'm so happy! I knew she chould make a side story. Almust every mangaka do that. ;w;
I hope it's a future one, with everyone in it! <3
rzerox21xx
I wonder if its going to be a one-shot or a series of chapters. Maybe this will be a hint of the content of the chapter.

Fullmetal Alchemist will also adorn the cover of the October issue, and the issue will bundle miniature Hagaren W Swing figures of the character Roy Mustang and the dog Black Hayate. Readers can then send in forms to receive a comic box and travel stickers in the mail.

A Roy and black hayate figure seem to indicate that it will have something to do with Roy perhaps or even some Royaish consider black hayate.

I wonder if bones will make this a ova too or include the content on the movie. If its a one shote, perhaps be included in the final takobon.
FMAobsessed
I was just on animenewsnetwork when I saw the FMA side story article. Then I thought to post it here, but I was already beaten to it.

I am psyched for this extra chapter. I wonder how long it will be?

And if there is a Roy and Black Hayate figurine, I hope there will be some Royai in it.
Chiyo
There's something nice in feeling like a months going slowly again. After an exciting chapter of FMA the following month seemed to go on forever.

Now August is going to drag on, and I couldn't be happier. Thank-you for the info.
black~hayate
I am sooo surprised... Almost shocked. I haven't expected that. Is that because of the "thank you"-letters? biggrin.gif
Can we discuss the possible content of the next chapter here or is that forbidden?
B.K.
Maybe they'll base the Brotherhood movie off of this gaiden.
Michiyo-
Wow, that's great news! biggrin.gif It's great that Arakawa just finished FMA 2 months ago, and now she's drawing a gaiden. I'm really looking forward to it, I just hope it'll be about Roy becoming Führer (with Royai moments, of course! ^^).

I wish I could get my hands on that issue of Gangan and the Roy & Hayate figurines.
hawkflame
Wow, fantastic news! It's a little early for this, I know, but maybe it'll work and some kind of "prologue" for the movie, like the gaidens for the Wii and PS2 games.
Mr. Deathy
Great news. I hope to see Mustang in this Gaiden!
Tombow
QUOTE (black~hayate @ Aug 7 2010, 01:14 PM) *
I am sooo surprised... Almost shocked. I haven't expected that. Is that because of the "thank you"-letters? biggrin.gif
Can we discuss the possible content of the next chapter here or is that forbidden?

@black~hayate - Saying this is "Gaiden," it's probably not the continuation of the last chapter. ^^

And, as for your question about posting chapter 108 Spoiler content on this thread, we are still asking NOT TO POST chapter 108 spoiler content on this thread, and any other threads in the forums EXCEPT on designated discussion threads, because there are still many many FMA fans who had not read FMA manga chapter 108 yet, and every day hundreds of such FMA fans visit this board and read our posts around the forums, and hence we're asking you guys' cooperation, till we make changes on this Spoiler situation, probably sometime later this month. ^^

Till then, please read this board announcement for links to some of such designated threads.

Thank you!! smile.gif
AXavierB
Nice to see Arakawa is still doing FMA-related stuff. Makes it feel less like the series is over. I hope this isn't the last gaiden, either.
Amalthea
Nice!!! Anything done by Arakawa is always welcomed by the fans of Fullmetal Alchemist around the globe. I'm really looking forward to the release smile.gif
shanryelric
http://i822.photobucket.com/albums/zz143/d...-draw1_2439.jpg

I guess it's about summer time thingy?
Kasumisty
Wow, that was unexpected. I thought Arakawa said she finished FMA.

Althrough, she has also said she wanted to draw a story concerning Roy becoming a Fuhrer.
Edamame
I love coming come from vacation and reading wonderful news like this. Seriously, we are so incredibly "spoiled" what with a Fullmetal Alchemist movie in the works and news of a Arakawa-sensei releasing another gaiden. I would love to see a gaiden centering around the Prince Ling of Xing before he began his journey to search for a method to obtain immortality for the emperor, or a gaiden focusing on some of Von Hohenheim's journeys before he met Trisha. This is just wishful thinking on my behalf, but I always wanted to see a gaiden where Hohenheim tells Trisha the truth about his past and the "monster" that he truly is.
Number 48
I've had a feeling for a while that we'd be getting a gaiden soon, though I was expecting it in the last data/guidebook as opposed to Gangan itself. Aside from... continuations or extrapolations relating to the ending and the future, are there any plot points or story hooks introduced throughout the story that could be used for this? I know the above poster mentioned Hohenheim and Trisha, which would certainly be interesting, but is there anything else that I'm just not recalling that it could be based on?
A Pierrot's Aria
I really love the Trisha and Hoho idea, but I also like the idea of it being some sort of prologue for the movie, as someone else suggested, but it might be too early for that...

But another thing I would really like is a future setting for it... But as it's been pointed out, it's highly unlikely due to the fact that not everyone in Japan has read/seen the ending yet so the whole gaiden would end up being a gigantic spoiler. xD

Just so long as it's nothing to do with the Armstrongs, Izumi or Mrs. Bradley I'll be fine. laugh.gif

LOL I had to edit that real quick...I just realised that was a huge spoiler dump...D'oh!
Qashqai
Oh, I'd be utterly fine with a gaiden about younger Wrath and mrs. Bradley, or about Armstrongs, or about Izumi when she was still Harnet. XD but that's not likely to happen... I'd love to see a story of how did Hoho and Trisha meet. Or younger Mustang, but we'll see him in the new anime gaiden, amirite? ^^ I reaaally hope for Trisha and Hoho.
Misty- Nala
I hope the Gaiden will be about the time between the series with Hughes in it (Yes, I'm a Hughes freak. C'mon, we didn't see the guy enough). Otherwise, I will be happy if it won't be about Olivia, Mei, Ling, Lan Fan, Izumi, Riza, Winry. I'm a very demanding person tongue.gif

I'm afraid the Gaiden will only be a short story, to sum things up, kind of an epilogue.
LooneyLolita
I chould like something about Roy's future and Ed's future.

For me it chould be sad/lame if the "last" Gaiden chould be about only one person.
Tombow
<Reminder>

Guys, we still have many many FMA fans who had not read FMA manga chapter 108 (yes, EVEN IN JAPAN many FMA manga fans haven't had a chance to read FMA chapter 108 yet!) and hundreds of such FMA fans visit our board and read our posts around the forums everyday, and many of such fans may be very much interested in visiting this thread and reading the discussion about the new Gaiden, but NOT expecting to get spoiled of the content of the final chapter of FMA by doing so. ..That is why we ask you to post FMA managa chapter 108 (final chapter) content ONLY on designated threads, and we highly appreciate your cooperation. smile.gif

For the links to some of such designated thread, please read this board announcement.

Thank you! smile.gif

-----

<Program Note>

@Ayla - I moved your post to post-chapter 108 discussion thread for Royai fans thread because of chapter 108 spoiler content. Please continue that discussion there. smile.gif
inuhana
GAIDEN!!!
Cannot wait until the issue comes out! Any sort of story would be fine at this point. The series is done, and I'll be happy for any scrap of Hiromu lovin'!
Keep the news coming, please! smile.gif
Juozas
I've seen the anouncement in the news site so this is wonderful as the mangaka continues doing our favourite job encouraging us to read her works... biggrin.gif So as i shall conclude it i will wait and read if possible by any means... smile.gif
hawkflame
QUOTE (Megabyte117 @ Aug 7 2010, 10:13 AM) *
Maybe we will see the story about Mustang's near future then biggrin.gif This sounds really awesome. Now there's something to wait for at the beginning of every month again.

I would think that this is most likely. Didn't she say that if she were to do another FMA story, this is what she would do?
Maromi
*crosses fingers for Royai*

Really hoping for some more shipping all together!
LooneyLolita
I do hope the Royai goodie. But I really hope it's more then that. More characters, not only a few. I really REAAALLY hope it's a future one ;w;//
Tombow
<Reminder>

Guys, we still have many many FMA fans who had not read FMA manga chapter 108, and hundreds of such FMA fans visit our board and read our posts around the forums everyday, and many of such fans may be very much interested in visiting this thread and reading the discussion about the new Gaiden, but NOT expecting to get spoiled of the content of the final chapter of FMA by doing so. ..That is why we ask NOT to post any chapter 108 spoilers on this thread, and post FMA managa chapter 108 (final chapter) content ONLY on designated threads.
In the near future we are planning to modify this chapter 108 spoiler policy, but till then we highly appreciate your cooperation on this. smile.gif

For the links to some of such designated thread, please read this board announcement.

Thank you! smile.gif

methuselah.alchemist
So excited for this! >w< The series is over, but there's still FMA stuff to look forward to, and stuff written by Arakawa is by far better than anything else! I'm really hoping for a more detailed epilogue, but anything with the characters is more than welcome!
Hoshino Hikari
Seriously? Did Arakawa say that she would draw Roy's future if she could? I didn't know it. It's great if she does it!! (We're talking about his future, but isn't there anyone who wants to know more things about his past?)
I wonder how this gaiden will be! I don't think we'll see the meeting of Hohenheim and Trisha. Didn't we see it in Brotherhood 27? It was just a dream, but it seems to be what really happened, don't it?
And Arakawa has already done a gaiden about Roy at Ishval war... I don't know if the protagonist will be Roy again. But I wouldn't mind if he is, in fact, I'd be very happy! laugh.gif (With Royai, it would be THE dream)
How exciting happy.gif I thought I could die in peace because FMA had finished, but all things considered, I think I will live a little bit longer xD
mellulah
Am I the only one who DOESN'T want a Royai gaiden?
I'd rather another character have the limelight, prehaps about Bradley meeting his wife or Maria in Xing with whole asassination issue.
riceking17
QUOTE (mellulah @ Aug 28 2010, 07:50 AM) *
Am I the only one who DOESN'T want a Royai gaiden?
I'd rather another character have the limelight, prehaps about Bradley meeting his wife or Maria in Xing with whole asassination issue.

Bradley meeting his wife would be awesome. I'm so excited for this, but I'm not going to take Arakawa word to heart anymore laugh.gif not after that whole Scar's name mess. I think it's safe to say she is just going to do what ever she wants to now.
AA battery
The ad in September issue of GanGan says NOTHING about the content of the gaiden that will be in the October issue, so we'll all have to just wait and see.

And good news is hilary said she will buy the October issue and scanning it, seeing how Hong Kong sells the magazine one day before the actual release date in Japan so at least we'll be able to get a low-resolution copy for viewing right on the dot. happy.gif I will buy the magazine too, but I am buying a surface mail copy, which does not get to me until 5 weeks after the release day in Japan. OTL

PS. October issue = the one that will be out on September 11. Just in case anyone was confused.
Hoshino Hikari
Well, there is a Black Hayate figurine.

So, in this gaiden, we may see a story about Black Hayate. xD
shanryelric
any kind pf gaiden would be fine for me as long as it's FMA!!! I do hope for royai, or more about roy's childhood.. maria's days in xing would be great too. anything will be just great and effing awesome only of it's FMA. biggrin.gif
Anomia Grey
Maria in Xing!! That would be so wonderful... Arakawa went all the way to China to do research for writing the Xingese characters, but didn't set any of the action in Xing - I'm sure she'd do an amazing job at giving us a taster of Xing!

Michiyo-
The cover of the October issue of Gangan is out! biggrin.gif And it looks beautiful.
Cover (spoilers for 108)

So does this mean the gaiden will be about Ed, Al and Winry?
A Pierrot's Aria
Wow! That's a really gorgeous cover; thanks for posting! biggrin.gif

I hope if it's not Royai like most hoped, that it is about Ed, Al and Winry, as personally I'm not too interested about a gaiden about anyone else. (Oh, but Hoho and Trisha would be lovely to see, too!) laugh.gif (Spoilers for chapter 108) and then hopefully there will be a possibility of some pre-proposal EdxWin.
Kasumisty
It's really nice, tops the quality of the latest FMA-themed Gangan covers.
Gimpyhair
I would be highly surprised if the gaiden was about Al Ed and Winry, since Arakawa herself mentionned that she was done with their story. The best bet would be it's about Roy, since she said that if she were to write a story in the FMA universe it would be about him. Personnally, I hope it's about either Roy (and Riza, with or without royai) or the meeting of the Bradleys, which would be hilarious!

Anyone knows when we will have news about this? (Around the 10th, as usual?)
A Pierrot's Aria
I don't think it'd be too odd if she did it about Ed, Al and Winry. (Spoilers for chapter 108) For example, she could have done the gaiden about Human!Al's first taste of Winry's apple pie or something fluffy like that. In other words, something that doesn't add to the very end, ie them having kids and such.

Don't get me wrong though, I would LOVE something with Roy. laugh.gif

I can't remember, but have all covers of gangan related to the gaiden's contents on past gaiden releases? (I remember one did, but I don't know about others.) xD
RoyxRizaFan
That is a gorgeous cover!! I can't wait until a textless version of that image comes out. It's so lovely!

As for the gaiden, I'm obviously hoping for something concerning Roy as well, especially since he was so scarce in the final chapter! I think there's a chance, because of what she said in the interview, though it is possible she could show something that happened before the end of Ed, Al, and Winry. I wouldn't mind something that happened after, either, if it showed Al on his journey at all.
essa
I know that maybe I shouldn't be asking it here but does anyone know were to buy this gangan issue? (Though I might be late for that now -.-) Amazon doesn't ship it to my country and I've looked over Yesasia, Play-asia and Amiami Shop. Does anyone have a different suggestion?
Again, I apologize in advance if I shouldn't put out the question on this thread ^^;

That cover is just beautiful, I don't know why but I felt teary ;__; any picture with the Resembool trio together is wonderful ;__; whatever comes out of that gaiden, I'm sure it will be stunning ^^
Kasumisty
QUOTE (essa @ Sep 4 2010, 05:19 PM) *
I know that maybe I shouldn't be asking it here but does anyone know were to buy this gangan issue? (Though I might be late for that now -.-) Amazon doesn't ship it to my country and I've looked over Yesasia, Play-asia and Amiami Shop. Does anyone have a different suggestion?
Again, I apologize in advance if I shouldn't put out the question on this thread ^^;

Try HimeyaShop, Japan Centre or Ebay - the former ones have the newest issues for sure and they sometimes appear on Ebay. I hope it's not too late and it won't be sold out completely like the July issue.
Michiyo-
According to Amber1003 here, the story will be about the trio after Ed and Al came back. So not about Roy ;_;

I think that this cover art will be included in the 2011 Comic Special Calendar.
A Pierrot's Aria
Yay! This news makes me happy! (But sad at the same time, because no Roy!) D: But I knew it wouldn't have been too odd for her to do a story about the trio because it was strange that she even did an FMA story so soon after saying she didn't plan on really doing anything else on it. (Except for the possibility of more on Roy one day).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.