Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Touhou Project
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Game
Little Washu
The lack of Touhou thread here saddens me. Anyway.

Lots of the info here will be quoted from other websites, because one person trying to explain this? This has rarely been done. Quotes and credit will be given. To start with...

Touhou Wiki

Eger-kun's info from OMF:

"1. All of the Characters are little girls. (Don't despair if you're not a lolicon but they are just depicted as that since after all the Main character is around 16 and most of the bosses are 60 to 1000 years old).
2. Despite what Fact #1 may lead you to believe, the games are extremely difficult.
3. The Touhou Fanbase has achieved levels of craziness that make other Fanbases look downright lazy.

The Touhou Project is a series of 2D (with 3D background) vertically-scrolling danmaku shooting games made by Team Shanghai Alice, with three fighting game spinoffs co-produced with Tasogare Frontier. They are similar to regular shooting games, but focus more on weaving through complex patterns containing anywhere from dozens to hundreds of bullets. Every game in the Touhou series is set in the fantasy land of Gensokyo, and the series is known for its huge cast of characters, well-developed storylines, and related materials such as music CDs, fan-made comics and animated videos made to the music.

Team Shanghai Alice (according to a certain magazine ) is composed of this guy:

This is 'ZUN', real name Junya Ota. He likes Beer and Agatha Christie Novels. He is a Japanese Programmer and Game Designer. He runs his own independent development studio, named 'Team Shanghai Alice'. In spite of what the word 'Team' may lead you believe, he is the only member. Also, in spite of what 'Programmer and Game Designer' may lead you to believe, he is UNDERweight.

On the other hand being a one man developer certainly has it's own disadvantages and yes He does all the coding, art, music, and design work by himself. You may be wondering how one man can single handily pull all of this off without a hitch. The answer to that is simple: The official character art sucks .

The series revolves around a Miko (Shinto Shrine Maiden) named Reimu Hakurei (the pale, almost zombie looking girl pictured above), who lives in a magical world named Gensokyo. Every so often, disaster strikes, and it's up to Reimu to save the world from little vampire girls, little ghost girls, little demon girls, little exiled moon princess girls... Generally, mythical entities that all look like LITTLE GIRLS.

To date there have been a total of 12 'Official' games in the series. However, the first fives games were for the now-obsolete Japanese only PC-98 Platform, so most fans simply ignore their existence altogether, similar to how Star Wars fans feel about Star Wars Holiday Special.

Starting with the sixth game, Touhou has been developed for PC. Unlike most popular Japanese PC Games, Touhou isn't an Erotic Dating Game or a Rape Simulator. In fact, instead of letting the player rape little girls, the game RAPES YOU... metaphorically speaking...

The game has practically defined the Danmaku (literally Bullet Curtain, but more commonly referred to as Bullet Hell) genre. Players move around 2D space, firing at enemies that appear while at the same time avoid enemy attacks. There are six stages and each one ends with a boss. If it sounds like the old Capcom Arcade Game '1942', then you're on the right track.

However, with the exception of any grandfather who saw action in the European Theater, no one would ever describe 1942 as 'Bullet Hell'. Touhou puts the Hell in Bullet Hell by literally showering you with ordinance. They come in a variety of colors and shapes, from knives, stars, butterflies, and even hearts. They all have two things in common though. They all look SUPER PRETTY, and they will all kill you in one hit.

But ut it's the boss fights that really turn the Hell dial up to eleven. In addition to a simple attack pattern, bosses will activate 'Spell Cards' after taking certain amounts of damage. These Spell Cards will take the form of even more bullets filling up the screen, and often fly in intricate patterns. Certainly an entertaining way to die.

The game itself has a awesome stream of music . Most of them are done by Zun himself.
And Also this one has sprang two manga series and one anime OVA.
"

Next will be the explaining of the games 6+, because 5- don't exist c: <3 Each game is linked to the Touhou wiki article of it~

Masterlist:

* Every official PC-98 game

. . * Highly Responsive to Prayers
. . * Story of Eastern Wonderland
. . * Phantasmagoria of Dim.Dream
. . * Lotus Land Story
. . * Mystic Square

* Every official Windows game

. . * Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
. . * Perfect Cherry Blossom
. . * Immaterial and Missing Power
. . * Imperishable Night
. . * Phantasmagoria of Flower View
. . * Shoot the Bullet
. . * Mountain of Faith
. . * Scarlet Weather Rhapsody -This is a fighting game-
. . * Subterranean Animism
. . * Undefined Fantastic Object
. . * Hisoutensoku -This is another fighting game, and can be used as an expansion to SWR~-
. . * Double Spoiler

* Doujin games

. . * Super Marisa Land
. . * MegaMari
. . * Super Marisa World
. . * Touhouvania
. . * Mystical Chain
. . * PatchCon

So yeah. I would go on YouTube and search up some gameplay~

I'll add more when I get time, such as character images, some videos, ect~

Anyway, if anyone has anything they'd like to contribute, please do so~
Naivete
I love you for making this thread. And you're missing Double Spoiler. smile.gif

The game's insane for someone completely new to STGs, but you get better at it over time. Also, easy mode is for kids. Not like I should be talking... I've only recently switched to normal mode myself.

On another note, the games themselves (while temporarily amusing) aren't really the focus of the fandom itself. The doujin side (especially music... personally, I'm quite fond of the jazz and classical arranges) has attracted far more attention (most likely because of the incredibly better artwork and music arranges), not to mention the fact that most fans have never touched an actual bullet hell game in their entire lives before. This is especially prominent as no one (save for a few) really cares about canon interpretations of character personalities, preferring to stick to the accepted fanon and even making up their own interpretations.

It's kinda interesting actually. Usually, something of this quality would never get much attention from the mainstream, but since Zun has allowed much flexibility in the use of his characters, something which you would have never heard of has become a huge hit. That's not to say he allows THAT much flexibility... personally, I'm a bit disappointed that Maikaze's doujin anime ended at the first episode without a conclusion. sad.gif
Little Washu
^Double Spoiler added :3

I love the music <3 I've recently fallen for VaizravaNa by C-CLAYS, an arrange of Toramaru's theme~ It is loooooove~

ZUN's art is kind of... eh. UFO is a liiiil better than the beginning though. Danbooru is always useful~

This is very useful.
http://sakurahana.com/forum/asian-music/22...uhou-music.html

I like playing SWR and UNL, because they aren't danmaku OTL Gonna try to set up and play Touhouvania~ Banpai Akira? Yes please.

Tonight I get to buy my Komachi and Momiji cosplays~ Will save up for Shikieiki later.
Naivete
Um, well this is interesting. I certainly didn't see that coming. Great, another game to keep away from until the end of November.

Despite what the art quality on the page may imply, it appears to be an official game. I haven't actually read Strange and Bright Nature Deity myself, but I have been meaning to after the HSC.

Eh... sounds like a cute idea, though not a very big fan of Cirno.
Little Washu
QUOTE (Naivete @ Jul 26 2010, 12:51 AM) *
Um, well this is interesting. I certainly didn't see that coming. Great, another game to keep away from until the end of November.

Despite what the art quality on the page may imply, it appears to be an official game. I haven't actually read Strange and Bright Nature Deity myself, but I have been meaning to after the HSC.

Eh... sounds like a cute idea, though not a very big fan of Cirno.

ZUN really hates the number 13 :/

In any case... this'll be interesting. 12.8 though? No. It should be 12.⑨
alairellis23
I played some of Touhou main series games and to me they're very hard. In the first place, I'm not good with dodging thousands of bullets anyways. Mostly i like Iamp and Scarlet Weather Rhapsody.
Little Washu
For anyone that cares, pic of my Momiji Inubashiri cosplay:

I'm waiting on Komachi now. I plan on saving up for Shikieiki, and making Youmu.
Yaaaay Touhou.
CutEowyn
Never played any touhou game and know about nothing at all about that. Time running to fast, that things.
I just fell in love with the bad apple animation. Don't even know if you have to know a lot about touhou to enjoy that. Don't know where that comes from, just beautiful.
(all touhou's fans must already know about that I assume)
Little Washu
QUOTE (CutEowyn @ Oct 20 2010, 01:59 PM) *
Never played any touhou game and know about nothing at all about that. Time running to fast, that things.
I just fell in love with the bad apple animation. Don't even know if you have to know a lot about touhou to enjoy that. Don't know where that comes from, just beautiful.
(all touhou's fans must already know about that I assume)

Bad Apple!! is like... a stereotype. You should have a decent knowledge to understand whats going on. Saying you like Bad Apple!! is kind of like... saying you like Edward Elric but never hearing about FMA.

Also, Bad Apple!! comes from a PC 98 character, Elly. Bad Apple!! is her theme. This is the original version of it:
Bad Apple!! original composed by ZUN (Team Shangai Alice)

The one you heard in the animation is a remix by Alstroemeria Records, a circle that is known for Trance/Techno remixes of character themes.

(And yes, Bad Apple!! is old news)
Popogeejo
Pew pew pew, embodiment of scarlet devil is very fun.
Little Washu
This... is amazing
Naivete
^Very nice. About time something like that popped up too.

Having been studying so much, I've been out of the loop in everything but I've heard (another) doujin anime is in the process of being made? I'm all for good quality doujin animes (as this one seems to promise) but Touhou crossovers? Eh, not a big fan of that. But I guess some anime is better than no anime.

On a slightly unrelated note, I have yet to give TH 12.8 a go. Won't be long now though.

November 20 couldn't come sooner!
CutEowyn
@Little Washu : OK, thanks.
Anyways I'm so hopeless at beat them up I just fear not being able to succeed three levels or somewhat, so I can't enjoy fully the game ! sad.gif
Little Washu
QUOTE (Naivete @ Nov 2 2010, 08:27 AM) *
Having been studying so much, I've been out of the loop in everything but I've heard (another) doujin anime is in the process of being made? I'm all for good quality doujin animes (as this one seems to promise) but Touhou crossovers? Eh, not a big fan of that. But I guess some anime is better than no anime.

I heard about that! Frankly I'm surprised that ZUN allowed it, but if it's a doujin anime then that's cool.
Yeah, crossover, kind of meh... The quality does look good, I just wish that it was all Touhou xDDD
Something like this
I've been avoiding downloading the games to save space on my computer for TERA online >.>
tho maybe i could put them on my external hard drive...
Naivete
Funny thing is, when I heard about the upcoming anime, I actually thought that was what we were in for (the uploaders had misleadingly put the news in the video comments....). Sorely disappointed when I found out that wasn't the case.
Little Washu
Me too :/ Though the anime still isn't official, just a doujin anime, as ZUN stated he wont be involved.

Ugh, I would kill for a real one, but probably not for a few more years @_@

In the meantime, THIS.
GO CIRCLE NINE
A few friends and I are doing a cosplay to that, myself being Wriggle.
Derp.
Little Washu
BUMP: For the release of Touhouvania 2
Complete with voice actresses, new Banpai art, and more~

I've got the download links for anyone who wants them~
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.