Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Differences In American And Japanese Version?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Anime
PyPaw
In Fullmetal alchemist brotherhood are there differences in the American and Japanese version? Before I start watching this one way I would like to know if there are any changes made to the show when dubbed English.. normally there are major changes and if that is the case again I rather watch it in Sub... So anyone happen to know? Thanks ^^
Vlyse
If you mean the way of 4kids dubs (lol), then no. FMA:B is dubbed by Funimation and aired on Adult Swim. Everything is left intact and uncut. Blood, gore, and all. biggrin.gif

The only changes that I can think of are polishes/fixups from goofs on the live Japanese airings. Like Ed having two human arms or legs.
Icy12
QUOTE (Vlyse @ Jul 13 2010, 10:55 PM) *
The only changes that I can think of are polishes/fixups from goofs on the live Japanese airings. Like Ed having two human arms or legs.

I'm just curious, but has that actually happen? laugh.gif
AXavierB
In one episode Ed's arm was only metal from the elbow down and they fixed it for the dub.
PyPaw
QUOTE (Vlyse @ Jul 13 2010, 11:55 PM) *
If you mean the way of 4kids dubs (lol), then no. FMA:B is dubbed by Funimation and aired on Adult Swim. Everything is left intact and uncut. Blood, gore, and all. biggrin.gif

I mean that everything in the episodes are the same. Other then the language of course. From what I was told something in episode 18 was different and I was curious if this was true/in others as well
AXavierB
I've watched all the episodes and the only changes were necessary localization ones.
penguintruth
The voice acting in the Japanese version is GOOD. There's a difference right there!

(Okay, so Brotherhood's English dub is okay... but just okay!)
Tombow
^ Just letting you guys know that if you guys go on talking about sub/dub VAs, I or one of the mods will probably move you guys' posts with such discussion to the appropriate VA discussion thread. smile.gif

Guys, Please stick to answering and helping with PyPaw's question. ^^

By the way, we'll probably move this thread later (once the OP got sufficient answer) to FMA:B anime series general Q&A thread. smile.gif

(Oh, and WELCOME to our board, PyPaw! ^^)
Mr. Deathy
QUOTE (AXavierB @ Jul 13 2010, 09:50 PM) *
In one episode Ed's arm was only metal from the elbow down and they fixed it for the dub.

Those fixes are made for Japanese DVD releases, not "for the dub". Of course, it's very rare for the Japanese DVD's to be ripped and uploaded, so we rarely see them.
deet-tastic
The dialog is pretty much the same. I've noticed some differences in lines. Like what Hughes says at the phone booth in episode 10.
AXavierB
^^Yeah, I know that, but I figured the dubs used the same video from the Japanese DVDs anyway.
KingBradley08
QUOTE (deet-tastic @ Jul 14 2010, 04:07 PM) *
The dialog is pretty much the same. I've noticed some differences in lines. Like what Hughes says at the phone booth in episode 10.

Yeah, that was stupid as hell. What he said comes up as an important plot point in later episodes too.. wonder how they're gonna dance around that :X. Funimation's unnecessary changes and goofs definitely irk me to no end (here's a great example-- in the episode where Ed first fights Scar, he lists alchemy's three steps as: construction, deconstruction, and reconstruction. bleh.).

They're definitely more accurate with this dub than they were with the original fullmetal anime so far though (my personal theory is that series that they like less, they mess with less because it's not as fun for them to work on it. Series they really like they seem to sometimes pretty freely change/"punch up" dialogue and plot points for no reason whatsoever). let's hope they learn from their mistakes and cut that junk out.
AXavierB
What were Hughes' lines in the phone booth in both versions? I don't remember.
Vlyse
^
I believe they're referring to "The military is in trouble!" but what he said in the dub was "It's an emergency!" I don't think it's that big a deal, as it only comes up in episode 24 when Mustang confronts Bradley and the generals at the end IIRC. That's an episode we don't have long to find out how they handled it.
AXavierB
Ah. In that case they could easily change the dialogue to fit what was said in the dub.
Misty- Nala
QUOTE (Vlyse @ Jul 16 2010, 03:46 AM) *
^
I believe they're referring to "The military is in trouble!" but what he said in the dub was "It's an emergency!" I don't think it's that big a deal, as it only comes up in episode 24 when Mustang confronts Bradley and the generals at the end IIRC. That's an episode we don't have long to find out how they handled it.

Man, is that true? How are they going to explain the point of that conversation later on? Do they just dub again with Sonny saying different words? Do these people know where this series is going to?
deet-tastic
^ Mustang later says when he goes to the phone booth something like "Hughes said the militairy was in trouble to the phone operator" Or something like that. I did hear it though.
~Puppet Alphonse~
This may be unimportant, but it kind of made me mad when in the episode where they were convicting Maria Ross for Hughes' murder and they changed the dialog to make it 'less offensive to women'. The original dialog was "close enough to where a women could have done it" and they changed it "close enough to where a poor shot could have done it." I mean, come on. By watching this show, we already know that it originates from Japan. We all know the social siguation of Japan and know that there women are infirer to men. Not only that, but the fantasy world of Amestris is based off of a time period in England where women are inferior as well. They should not have changed that.

And even later in the episode, when Barry says "Oh you have spunk. <3 I like that." she's supposed to say "A girl's gotta have spunk!" And instead they changed it to "I'll do what I have to do!". sleep.gif' Oh well. I may just be being too picky. XD

Other than that I like what they have done.

Except for Mei's voice. That... That's just God awful no matter how you look at it. Sorry. Same with Hoho-papa's.
Tombow
<Reminder>

On this thread please discuss differences in English version DVD and Japanese version DVD other than Voice Actor discussions. biggrin.gif

@AXavierB - We'll be moving your two posts with comments on your Japanese/Engish FMA VAs to appropriate FMA Japanese VA/Engish VA discussion threads later. ^^
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.