Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3 D, C G Sculptures Of Elric Brothers! (work-in-progress)
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fanworks
Teo
Hello there, I am new here and have been working for some time now on 3D sculptures of the Elric bothers in celebration of the new anime series "Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood".

I came here to get feedback from some real fans of the show who could better aid me with critiques and/or encouragin comments. Any ideas and suggestions are also highly appreciated. Hope you like what has been done so far.

CLICK FOR MORE IMAGES
xMinty
What's it made out of, clay?
It's very good it looks like those anime figurenes.
Teo
QUOTE (xMinty @ Jul 14 2010, 09:48 AM) *
What's it made out of, clay?
It's very good it looks like those anime figurenes.

It's made in a 3D program called Zbrush which simulates the workflow of clay.
black~hayate
This looks very nice. Actually it is really awesome. If you want critique: Ed's face looks a little strange. There's something wrong with the expression. But I'm no expert, not even an amateur! So you have to decide on your own if it's right or wrong! I still think that it looks very awesome.
Too bad it's not clay or acrylics. It would be more awesome if it would be not digital, but real. That would have been really hard, I guess biggrin.gif
Edamame
I am to say that I am thoroughly impressed! I am not familiar with the program, but I visited the forum as was instantly blown away with the quality of quality of work and the life-like renderings. Just paging through the photographs of your progress is ming-boggling, and I would really love if you could explain how you go about this artisitic process for those of us who are not familiar with three-dimensional sculptures. I am coming at you from a photography view-point, so I will not be the best person to tell you if you have porportions down to a T. I must say that you have thoroughly suceeded in bringing Edward to life. I especially love his furrowed brow and cheeky grin- it really conveys the character's cockiness. I am going to agree with the forum member above and say that the three-dimensional of Ed really does have an almost clay-like texture. I love the texture of Ed's prosthetics, and I love how you included some slight chinks in the metal. Wow, it even looks as though you have added small details like the seam-work on Ed's pants and the inside wires in the prosthetics. The scarring where Ed's prosthetic meets flesh does indeed look pretty darn realistic.

Al also appears to be coming along quite beautifully as well. I love the shine that you have achieved for Al's helmet. I wish that I could zoom it a bit more with my computer so that I could see more of the details, because it looks like you included slight chincks and straches on the armour.

Great work thus far~ this is my first time seeing somebody document this process, and I really would love to see the final product.
Teo
QUOTE (Edamame @ Jul 14 2010, 02:07 PM) *
I am to say that I am thoroughly impressed! I am not familiar with the program, but I visited the forum as was instantly blown away with the quality of quality of work and the life-like renderings. Just paging through the photographs of your progress is ming-boggling, and I would really love if you could explain how you go about this artisitic process for those of us who are not familiar with three-dimensional sculptures. I am coming at you from a photography view-point, so I will not be the best person to tell you if you have porportions down to a T. I must say that you have thoroughly suceeded in bringing Edward to life. I especially love his furrowed brow and cheeky grin- it really conveys the character's cockiness. I am going to agree with the forum member above and say that the three-dimensional of Ed really does have an almost clay-like texture. I love the texture of Ed's prosthetics, and I love how you included some slight chinks in the metal. Wow, it even looks as though you have added small details like the seam-work on Ed's pants and the inside wires in the prosthetics. The scarring where Ed's prosthetic meets flesh does indeed look pretty darn realistic.

Al also appears to be coming along quite beautifully as well. I love the shine that you have achieved for Al's helmet. I wish that I could zoom it a bit more with my computer so that I could see more of the details, because it looks like you included slight chincks and straches on the armour.

Great work thus far~ this is my first time seeing somebody document this process, and I really would love to see the final product.

Thank you. It's nice to see somebody commenting on the little details he/she likes instead of the image always in general. Before recreating a character in 3D you need to do a visual research of that character and create/find Blueprints like these. After that, you start with a basic human shape in a 3D program and create the right proportions before adding more definition to the 3D model in a sculpting program.

As for the clay comment, it might or might not be what I'm aiming for for the final render. Lots of photoshop will be done on those.
MsLinn
ohmy.gif
As I have never seen anything like this, it's hard to give constructive critisism.
First. It's amazing. Amazing.
Personally, I think Ed's forehead is too big, but that can be the first anime's style, and I'm not really familiar with that anymore. Same with his colours.
I love the leather-pants and the pocket watch-chain. And as Edamame said, the scars and the textue of his automail is amazing! I love his grin, too, but (depending on what style you're going for) maybe you should have some more shadows in his eyes, around the outer edge.
As I understand you're not finished(?). That would explain the coat. smile.gif It needs shadows and folds and stuff! But I looked at that site and I see the coloured picture from above/the side has more details on it!
His bangs have some small horisontal ripples, I think, it could be the quality of the picture...

Al. Wow, that's amazing! I especially love his eyes! He is very clean here! I can't think of anything to say...He is perfect. *really, really trying to have some good advice*...Maybe all the scratches shouldn't be completely straight?!....(lol, meaningless detail...)

Just...Well done! biggrin.gif
Teo
Thanks guys! I listened to your critiques! Here is the final image poster size!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

For more of my work you can go here : http://nekoteo.cgsociety.org/gallery/

Hope you like it! smile.gif
Trakonda
Wow, that's absolutely beautiful! biggrin.gif

I don't know much abouit 3D modelling either, but I've tried it a few times and it feels really complicated. I'm amazed of all the details you did! (stuff like Ed's hair, those scars on Al's armour, etc.)

And mostly when I see people doing 3D art, the pictures end up looking really.. stiff and plastic. But this doesn't. It really feels like the characters are actually moving in this image smile.gif

Not to mention all the shinyness and simple, yet perfectly fitting background! Truly a masterpiece. Thank you for sharing this with us!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.