Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Episode 64: Journey's End - Content Discussion Thread
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Anime > FMA:Brotherhood anime Spoiler Zone
Pages: 1, 2, 3
hawkflame
Am I the only one who didn't mind the Roy 'stache? Looks like his wish from the 4-koma omake came true. smile.gif

Other changes:

Big plus for having Roy and Riza share the same hospital room.

Not sure what I think of Havoc getting his legs back with the Philosopher's stone, though. First I didn't like it at all, because it undermined the prevailing idea in this story that there are no easy fixes and that you shouldn't rely on alchemy when you could rely on your own hard work. But thinking about it, Roy -would- be unselfish enough to have it used to heal Havoc first. So I don't know...

They disappointingly left out Zanpano and Jelso learning alchemy, but more than made up for it with their Large Ham moments. smile.gif

And yeah, the family photo...Paninya and Garfiel have no business being there.
Gimpyhair
Am I the only one who didn't like healed-Havoc? He was doing fine without his legs: he helped Roy the way he could and that was perfect! Being healed by the philosopher stone (from what I understand) felt unecessary to me.

QUOTE (RoyxRizaFan @ Jul 4 2010, 09:05 AM) *

NOOO!! We can't make fun of Mustanch anymore!

QUOTE (paca @ Jul 4 2010, 12:02 PM) *

random stuff:

-Falman's children >_>, yes those are his children look they share eyes, bones, ears, hair!!! OMG! so unecsesary... well he get more ending than many character *cofcof* we now where he lives, his rank, we meet his son and daughter...not his wife but anyways...how she found a woman in the north??? lol
-Roy's mus-tache....OMG! a thought it was a mark in the screen, I mean how many times Araka wa has told us how he is unable to get one xD or how ridiculous he will look with one ....??? okok, options:
a ) a mark in the sketches she gave to Bones (epic fail) lol
B ) he get facil hair back from the door when he get his sight back xDDDDDD
c ) less stress so you get more hair XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
Have you noticed that he has the same mus-tache that his master had >_> ?????

I really love the fact that Falman have children except that the left girl have the same hair than Elysia OMG GRACIAXFALMAN, there's so many characters in FMA, Edward and Winry can't be the only ones with kids!

Since these are Edward's wall-pictures, maybe Ed added Roy's moustache with a pen laugh.gif

QUOTE (Chiyo @ Jul 4 2010, 12:48 PM) *
The fangirl in me realised the jumper Winry was wearing at the end must have been the one Ed came home in.

Hey, that's true! Didn't saw that!
amestris_star
QUOTE (Gimpyhair @ Jul 4 2010, 07:53 PM) *
Since these are Edward's wall-pictures, maybe Ed added Roy's moustache with a pen laugh.gif

That's what I think in fact ;D
EveningAlchemist
QUOTE (hawkflame @ Jul 4 2010, 11:47 AM) *
Am I the only one who didn't mind the Roy 'stache? Looks like his wish from the 4-koma omake came true. smile.gif

Call me uncool, but that mustache was quite fetching! laugh.gif That's Hiromu Arakawa's sense of humor I guess... At least it's not the Armstrong mustache!

I don't think a movie or show has ever done this to me, but I actually burst into tears of joy! cry.gif Especially when Roy wanted to heal Havoc first before him, and when Winry finally got to see Ed and Al come home. (That scene was almost HOLY!) It made me feel okay that it was over. (Movie time now? If you say so Bones... I'll follow you wherever you go!)

Ed and Al's exploration of the world is a great but open ending. (Great for fanfiction writers... tongue.gif) It sort of makes you excited for them, even though it's not likely we'll be following them on their journeys this time. It's similar but different to the end of COS - with Ed and Al exploring the world together, but it's not their world... Both ending were beautiful in their own way - one was contented and triumphant, the other being bittersweet.

Thanks so much Hiromu...

Animeoldtimer
Loved the ending.

Before I express all my thoughts(on a later post), I just want to make a comment on the picture with Roy's mustache. When I first saw that image (sans 'stache) in the manga, I had too look closely to see it was a future picture because I thought with Riza's short hair and Roy's hair style, it looked like an old picture. I thought they both looked too young. So maybe someone else thought he looked too young too and said: "Too late to change the picture. Let's just throw a mustache on him so he looks older."

It does look like a last minute addition to me.
Broken Chouchou
Oh, god, what a perfect episode. It was even more powerful than the manga was. It made me cry; the tears actually made their way down my cheek. *shakey breath* Okay, better pull myself together. But it was so beautiful. First we have Breda calling up Havoc, that was the first tug at the heart strings. I'm glad they did this part. Actually, all the changes made in the episode are improvements from the manga. The only thing I would miss would be the immediate scenes skipped from the post-battlefield, but I don't mind much, not when everything is so damn great as this.

Ed and Al on their way home. Just amazing. The brotherly feelings here surpasses that of the first anime. Al's "arigato", aw =) And Ed's teasing, like always XD Al's "Nii-san, are you sure about Winry?", and Ed's litte half gasp, was also great.

The part where Winry walks towards the door with that grand, triumphant music was emotional on it's own, and you thought that'd be it. But then she opened the door and it turned out it only led to the hallway. And here is where the tears began to produce for real. The scene caught me so off-guard, I really didn't expect it. Trisha's Lullaby (thank you, thank you, Bones), the photo of Ed, Al and Winry, it all had tremendous emotional effect on me. I didn't know what to expect at first, with the the camera delaying on the pin board, I almost thought there would be a video montage of scenes from their childhood or something. Well, it wasn't. But it was so perfect, the way it zoomed in on that one photograph in the middle with all three of them.

Winry's reaction in the doorway when she see's the brothers... that was the trigger point when the tears started rolling T__T And they did so along with her's after her massive slo-mo glomp attack and greet.

I always liked the rooftop scene.

And in the end Pride Selim turned out to be the adorable little child we always thought he was.

For some reason Al going to Xing with the chimeras seemed more believable here. Must be the music and animation.

And Ed really looks like Hoho! Wonder if it's intentional. The EdxWin scene was cute, Ed really still is a dork. But was that really a proposal for marriage? Wasn't it just a 'proposal' for love? That's the way I read it both in the manga, and here, anyway. I feel, from how they interact, it's a bit ambigious whether or not they were actually together before this. They do act like a couple, but then again they sorta always have XD I could imagine it being either way, really. But, taking the two year time skip into consideration, I suppose it makes most sense that they were together. Okay, yeah, it was a proposal, the way Ed acts afterwards and their hug says it all, guess it's just me being dense ^^;;

The ending monologue on the train is great. Made the tears well up for... the third time this episode? I say it again, it's all so perfect. Makes me very nostalgic of the first series, too.

And then... ending montage *sigh* I feel like a little fangirl now, crying so damn much XD 'Much' by my personal standards, anyway.

If I were to have any complaints about this episode it would be that they animated Al's face a bit oddly at times, Roy's stache XD, and yes, Paninya and Garifiel messing up the family pic. At first I wasn't sure if the ending song fitted, but watching it now, I really do think it feels right.

Goodbye, Fullmetal Alchemist ;___; How we love you, and how we shall miss you.

... Oh wait, there's a movie on the way too.
Seeker of Truth
While there are many, many things I thought the manga did better overall than the Brotherhood anime, I think this episode surpassed the manga completely in the way it handled the materials it changed, especially the meeting with Roy and Havoc's healing. Ok, I am a little grumpy with the change to Winry's dialogue when she see's the brothers and I thought her poses dealing with what Ed had just proposed at the end were better in the manga.
deet-tastic
And here we thought it was ending, and they announce a movie. Perhaps it truely isn't over just yet.

Impressions and fun thoughts;

-Sure enough, it started with Dr.Knox looking for Roy.
-change-ups already biggrin.gif Mustang's having a meeting in his hospital room.
-OHMAHGAWWWWSH THEY HAVE RIZA AND ROY IN THE SAME HOSPITAL ROOM
-And there's Marcoh smile.gif
-They have Scar being treated at the Armstrong humungo mansion smile.gif Nice. Love the animation on Olivier. I hate it when they have her eyes all huge.
-Scar stubble. It is there. Thank you Bones. XP Everyone loves sexy hobo stubble.
-Alphonse. Stop looking so adorable with your actual face.
-BROFIST! Ling and Edo Brofist!
-Trishas lullaby! I'd been hoping they'd use it in this last episode!
-TACKLE HUG!! OH I LOVED HOW THEY DID IT! GLOMP GLOMP!
-Eyecatch with ed,al, and winry! AND ROY-TACHI EYECATCH! THAT IS MADE OF EPIC WIN!
-Grumman, your smiles kill me
-Cute little Selim and his little birdie. So innocent looking. Who'd've thought you were the creepiest thing on the planet 2 years ago.
-Good, the made Elicia look 2 years older. That bugged me in the manga. She still looked tiny.
-And Ed's adorable equivalent exchange talk with Winry.
-Dude. Mustang mustache. Weird.
-Why is there paninya and garfiel in my family photo. Why wasn't it Izumi and Sig? They were more fitting. I do love the way Ed's kids look. I can actually tell it's an older brother and a little sister.
-MOVIE WHAT? OH MY BLOODY FREAKING WHAT YES YES A MOVIE! A MOVIE! A MOVIE! A FREAKING MOVIE! YES *crys*

Those were my reactions.
What an amazing 64 episode journey.
Hakkari
I registered just to comment on this episode /fail

I really liked it. It was definitely lighter than last episode.

Falman's kids look like Shesha >.>; *new ship rofl*

Mustang-stache was silly looking, but the rest of the photos were cool. Though I think someone needs to photoshop Paninya and Garfiel out of the family one. I love them, but they had no place there.

And I hope Aaron comes back as older!Al for the English dub. The new one is great, but she sounds even younger than the Japanese VA, and the voices just didn't match up.
FailToImpress
QUOTE (RoyxRizaFan @ Jul 4 2010, 02:05 PM) *

lol THAT'S MUCH BETTER laugh.gif
I'm quite happy believing that Ed drew it on XD I mean, what motive would BONES have for giving Roy a tash? It's completely pointless.

Seriously though... I thought I wasn't going to cry since I cried endlessly while reading the manga... but i did. It all started when Winry walked past the wall with the pictures on T_T
-Thought they should've deepend Al's voice a bit, he's not a child anymore.
-Really liked the beginning where Roy's scene was extended, and Havoc's phonecall.
-Loved seeing Gracia and Elysia. She's growing up! T_T
-Nice choice of eyecatches this time.
-Ed and Winry's scene at the train was done really nicely. I like that it was done so closely to the manga.

Those are my initial thoughts. I'd have more but I'm trying to get over the sadness of the series ending. Although... A MOVIE?? That makes me happy!
Winry Chan
I'll comment later regarding my reactions (I'm still in shock).

Regarding Mustang - Maybe the storyboard said "This photograph shows Mustang-tachi" and for some weird reason it was written in English and the 'i' looked a little funky and the animator thought it looked like an 'e'...

...*crickets*...
QueenTiria
SAMKFHAKKAJHFDASJHFOASHDO (ok better now biggrin.gif)

I am not a manga purist, but (in my opinion) it was clear the manga was superior in FMA from the get go. But this episode...the additions didn't make it worse (except the Musta-ch) it made them infinitely better. I love it, I love you BONES, and GODDAMN it this episode is completely amazing!!!!!!!!!
(EdxWin blushes...SO CUUUTTTTTTE)
AXavierB
First I'll get my complaints out of the way.

I REALLY wish they hadn't been forced to use storyboards for these last two episodes because I liked the manga panels. And the art in this episode was pretty awful for the first half. Mustang's arms, Olivier's face, Scar's... everything. So much QUALITY. And Mustang's 'stache? Gross. First hot!Father's voice and now this, BONES must be actively trying to subvert all the estrogen brigade bait.

Now, that that's out of my system, the second half of the episode had great artwork. I loved the use of "RAY OF LIGHT" during the scene with the chimeras. Also, I know I go out of my way to let everyone know I hate EdWin and always will, but that scene at the end was just too adorable. Finally, I loved how they closed the series with such an upbeat song.

A MOVIE W00T!
Vagrant
Changes from the manga bugged the hell out of me. Lack of humour, dodgy writing changes, total change of stuff with Mustang and co. that bothered me.
Havoc getting Philosophers Stone'd bugs me.
I did kinda like Knox showing up again, I can't believe I forgot about him. (although his last appearance in the manga was a nice conclusion for him)

Winry scenes were dragged out and kind of excruciating to watch. A shame, since I loved those parts of the manga.
(although the addition of her walking past the photos was a nice touch - if it was done with more subtlety and speed it could've been goodness)

Overly 'grand' music bothered me as well.

Al looks like Mustang, down to the age appearance.

Good that Ed narrates the last part.

No idea what to make of the movie thing.

The episode sums up a lot of my problems with the adaptation, really. :\
FMAobsessed
Poor Mustang that mustache was probably two years of growing and it is no where near as manly as Wrath's.

But besides Roy's stache, I loved the episode. Although Al's voice should have sounded older in my opinion.

Al is a really handsome anime character. Heck, he would be handsome if he existed in real life too.

I really am excited for this movie. Any guesses on whether it will be a recap or continuation?
Elle-chan
I think they rushed the series a bit O.O
BlackSwordsman
Hmm. Well, I liked it. I read the manga too.

One thing is bothering me, though. Nothing major, only a detail. The anime says Ed and Al spent 2 years in Risenbool before going on their travels. Ok."EdxWin" confession happens when Ed is boarding the train. Eh... So, they spent 2 years together without, you know, confessing? I mean, haha, Winry already liked Ed, and they spent 2 years with nothing happening? That's just... weird. If it were like, 2 months... maybe... I know anime characters like to keep their feelings for themselves forever (which bothers me sometimes and can be incredibly annoying. I mean, geez, grow a pair. -.-), but 2 years is just too much. O_o
zonkiethegreat
I will post more coherent thoughts together later...as i want to re-watch the ep again! All I gotta say is.....Did anyone see this on Tomodachi's subs page?

It had me LMAO...
Alternate

It's like Castro Mustang! LOL
Seeker of Truth
QUOTE (BlackSwordsman @ Jul 5 2010, 08:41 AM) *
The anime says Ed and Al spent 2 years in Risenbool before going on their travels. Ok."EdxWin" confession happens when Ed is boarding the train. Eh... So, they spent 2 years together without, you know, confessing?
Same in the manga, the two year skip starts with Grumman there. Besides, Ed may have been too young to legally propose before or such.
Broken Chouchou
Was is a confession though? Or was it a proposal, as people say? I was/am a bit confused myself.
Chiyo
Okay, my thoughts on the EdxWin, or more specifically what 64 adds.

The 2 year gap, now what's to say there wasn't anything going on? Even Gracier states that they are like a married couple. Emotionally they settled in to living together comfortably. As I stated before, she is wearing Ed's jumper on the day he leaves, and to me that is a symbol of...something. It takes us back to the incident with Scar when he wraps her coat around her and she grips it tightly. It is his protection and warmth.

I think we are lead to believe Ed always planned to "propose" to Winry. As they are approaching the house Al asks Ed if he is sure about Winry. Perhaps Edward isn't sure and rather than rush anything at the age of 16 he waited until it felt right to make Winry officially his.
BlackSwordsman
Hmm, I wasn't sure if it was a confession or a proposal. So I wasn't sure if they were already dating or something like that, or not.

Heh, I wish anime characters would kiss sometimes. I know it's cultural differences, a kiss is something more intimate and when they want to show something from solely the romantic point of view, they show a hug. But I'm not so sure about that, because I've seen kisses in shoujo anime. Do japanese guys don't like kisses or something? =p

Well, grown up Ed with that coat looks incredibly like Hoeinhemen (sp?). I hope life doesn't repeat itself all over again. XD

AnimeObsessed
Well, there's a lot o be said, but only one thing's for sure: the series has ended ;___;

I LOVED the EdWin moment. I agree, they should have kissed, ofcourse, but once I saw it wasn't happening in the manga I got over it.
I don't like Roys moustache. It's like a caterpillar fell on his face. Get it off, Roy. You didn't have it in the manga. Please BONES, I love you, but don't try and be creative on your own. I actuall liked te fact that Riza cut her hair again. I loved long hair on her, but th fact she just cut it off again is so Riza. Badass.
I know I'll always carry this in my heart with me, for FMA has changed my view on things a lot.
I love you, FMA, andI will never forget you.

I really can't wait for the movie. I wder what'llbe about.
Aazadan
Great episode. I'm a bit of a manga purist so I tend to look unfavorably on anime when they change things but this episode was done brilliantly. Easily 10/10, if not better.

My only real complaint is that Riza had no lines. Once I realized they were changing stuff up I was hoping they would add in another Roy/Riza scene but they didn't. Just a couple still shots of her in the background.
BlackSwordsman
*sigh* It's over. Well, at least there's a movie coming out.

I have to say, this is one series I wouldn't mind a follow up. If Arakawa-san came up with a new story following up the events of the main series... That would be nice.

I'd like to see the characters lives from now on also. I got used to them. :/ Maybe something about their jorneys. And I'd love to see the marriage, having kids, stuff like that.
tongue.gif
spectator
QUOTE (zonkiethegreat @ Jul 5 2010, 11:22 AM) *
It had me LMAO...
Alternate

It's like Castro Mustang! LOL

This is even worse! He looks like some ship's skipper. lol.

with his bangs combed back is already 'fuhrerly' enough, and handsome too! I bet the Amestris citizens like their new leader better than ever.
TheSentinel
QUOTE (Vlyse @ Jul 4 2010, 04:43 AM) *
I really liked the use of Ray of Light and Hologram in this episode. Though, the pictures I managed to see (hi, Keyhole) were sort of different as already mentioned. Not sure I like Mustang's mustache or Paninya and Garfiel sneaking in the family picture. Are they implying Paninya/Garfiel?! I know the way they changed Havoc's picture implied Rebecca/Havoc. I approve.

...I still don't know what's on Selim's forehead. sad.gif

-Don't mind Mustang's mustache, in drawn form... a thin mustache in real life is pretty horrid (it's why I have either a beard or goatee). While it makes sense to keep short hair for females in the military... Riza looks better with long hair.

-I don't mind Havoc being healed, partially or fully, via the stone. Mustang putting his subordinates first is key to his whole character.

-I do mind the extras in the family photo... though it does make sense if the picture gets taken in Rush Valley...

-As for the mark on Selim's forehead, we never did see Pride's ouroborus. The serpent forms a circle the triangles a dot. If any one plans on having him regain some/all of his homunculus powers in fanfic, I'd suggest having it switch from the circle with a dot to the ouroborus.
AXavierB
When the mannequin soldiers were unleashed, the philosopher's stone liquid was pumped in through tubes attached to the red nodes on their bodies. This leads me to believe the thing on Pride's forehead is connected to whatever is left of his philosopher's stone.
allykatty1
Had a great time seeing the official subbed version at the Anime Expo screening! It was nice to watch it with a couple hundred other FMA fans, who all cheered and "aawed" at the appropriate moments (plus they gave us little FMA flags to wave)! The EdWin train scene, of course, got more cheers than anything else, lol! XD

Talking more about that scene, I liked Winry's expressions more in the manga and liked that the hug felt smoother and gentler there as well. However, I actually liked Ed's expressions and the extra nervousness/hesitation Bones added in even more than the manga, so I guess it evened out pretty well. smile.gif

In the manga, he genuinely seemed bored with Winry's automail lecture and while I kind of miss his line about being excited to go West, I can see why Bones cut it (it made the whole scene more about the confession/proposal than anything else). It also didn't seem to occur to him in the manga to "propose" until Winry mentions the word "appointment/reservation." But in this version, he was "ignoring" her lecture not out of boredom with the topic, but rather because he was clearly nervous about what he wanted to say to her and had already decided ahead of time that he was going to say it. It made for some cute romantic tension. happy.gif I approve!

As for Havoc, wasn't it implied in the manga that he was healed there as well? He was shown rehabilitating. Here I guess Bones just wanted to make it more clear that he was definitely on his feet again.
cherry-chan. :D
Aww~ I loved this episode. (Especially the EdWin parts. XD)

I was quite surprised with the changes they made, but I'm fine with it.
Roy and Riza sharing a hospital room (They have been kind to us Royai fans for this little scene. XD)
I actually liked how Roy was studying about Ishbal and stuff, and the whole gang was there. And the fact that Roy wanted Marcoh to use the stone for someone else first (Havoc!) before him... that's just so Roy-like! XD

Al looked a bit weird in some scenes, but then again maybe that's just because he hasn't fully recovered during that time, so it's fine. The part when Winry was going to answer the door... although it was... taking a bit long, considering the short distance she had to cover, it was a nice effect. Suspense, or something. XD

And the train scene, when Ed confessed/proposed/whatever you choose to call it, that was probably my favorite part! Although I'm not much of an EdWin shipper, I loved that part to bits.

Of course, the ending, when Ed was talking, that was great too. biggrin.gif

The episode content was great. The use of Hologram as the ED was... surprising, lol. But what really surprised/shocked me was the pictures at the end. There are a lot of changes there, like.. Paninya and Garfiel in the Elric family picture, lol. And... wow. Hayate! (I was both happy and heartbroken with that--I'm sorry, I just used to ship DenxHayate, haha!)
But to top it all off is the hot topic at the moment: Roy and his mustache. XDDDD

I'm thinking either a mustache is a prerequisite to becoming a Fuhrer (come on, look at Bradley and Grumman. XD) or maybe... maybe Roy finally got his facial hair so he could look 'dignified and like his age'. (Remember the omake, guys? XD)

Overall, it was a great ending to the series. ;______; Now we just have to wait for the movie. 8D
zonkiethegreat
All I can say is that Winry's scene...when she hears Den barking, and then opens the door....then "Trisha's lullaby" plays....I STARTED BAWLING....it was SO EPIC and BEAUTIFUL...and yes...as someone said earlier....it was just plain...HOLY....

This was better then the manga. It just caught me off guard.

I will speculate further later, when I have more coherent thoughts on the last episode.
deet-tastic
We need a "Mustang moustache" contest.
Make the best moustache, and you win 10 internet cookies.
Chiyo
Or we can stop mentioning it unless it is part of a fuller post.

I'm all for a funny little contest once we allow spoilers loose, but for the time being can we tone it down a little please? I don't like to be a kill joy but this IS the last episode and we don't want to pack it up with Roytash aimed jokes.
Jealous Rogo
Okay so got around to watching the last episode and... wow

I didn't comment much on the last chapter cause I wanted to avoid repeating myself when the last episode came so here we go. I love the fact that aside from a few minor characters, nearly everyone got a decent length scene dedicated to them in the last episode. While some may crave more Royai (MORE?! Seriously was the entire 'trying to force Mustang to do human transmutation' not enough?!) I felt the scene with Roy and his crew was handled perfectly. I like the change they made with the fact Mustang was already going to focus on Ishbal rather than being basically blackmailed like in the manga. I also like that Mustang said he wanted Havoc healed before him. It was a good little throwback to when Havoc told Mustang to go ahead of him. Looks like Mustang just couldn't keep that promise after all tongue.gif

I also like the fact that Hawkeye mentioned that this is the best they can do. Remember what Hawkeye was saying back in Vol 15? How she and the others could pretty much only atone with their deaths? Seems like the events of the series have changed their minds on that. I'm reminded of what Al said about 'choosing death' waaaaaaaaay back at the beginning.

Olivier could've done with more of a send off but I like the subtle change in Mustang and her relationship here. Remember back when she said she didn't care about Mustang? And how she would be upset if she lost Hawkeye or Havoc like he did? Well here we have her giving Mustang MILES, her aide and now her best man let's face it. That shows alot of growth for Olivier, and shows, at least to me, that she now respects Mustang a lot more. Note also that she put the rebuilding of Ishbal above learning about Eastern Alchemy. She's no longer the war focused woman she was before, then again she may never have been.

I also like Scar's send off, while it may seem like a middle finger to all of us wanting to hear his name, I also like the message of it. Scar is pretty much saying that he's not that man anymore. What does this mean? Well bare in mind what Scar and the man he was before he became Scar was like; he hated Ametris and Alchemy, he saw no good in either of them. Now, well it's obvious that part of him has died and he's more open than he used to be. He's learned to love his country but not hate the people of Ametris. He wont forgive them, but he's willing to work with them to help them repair the damage they caused.

I like how they handled the Xing stuff as well, even if it was obvious it was going to end that way. Again we can see how the characters have changed here; both Ling and May were pretty much vehemetly opposed to the idea of working together, both of them were out to crush the opposing families. Ling, as they joke, has learned alot from Greed. Greed, despite his faults, was a damn good leader because he accepted everyone to him. Out of gree or what not, it's clear that Greed was respected by his underlings and in return he clearly had affection for them. Ling seems to have taken this on board, pretty much acting like Greed did with his underlings. He doesn't crush the house of Chang, he accepts it into his fold. After seeing what a lousey ruler Bradley was, it's clear he doesn't want to become a man like that. May on the other hand now clearly no longer feel obligated to her clan anymore, and is free to do what she really wants to. Look back at the series and... May's devotion to her clan now really comes off as more like guilt. She wants to go do what she wants, but she can't leave her clan to die. Now Ling has promised to protect it, she's free to follow her true interests...

Grumman becoming Fuhrer is a good idea actually, considering the two youngsters beneath him would likely tear each other apart of it. I also like that Pride gets a second chance. I don't see it as so much him getting a happy ending, as Mrs Bradley getting a happy ending. She gets the son she loved so much, and the new Selim gets a second chance. A chance to prove that Homunculus and humans can coexist. Although it does seem weirdly like the series is telling us men can't raise children, they need a mother... which I have issues with but whatever it's still nice.

I actually dont have much to say about Gracia...

I love the fact that the Chimera are with Al, especially after poor Nina was mentioned. It's great that they're there because it gives the whole thing a roundness. Al said he would find a way to help Nina back then, and now he's out to do just that, and this time maybe he'll be able to help these two poor souls that were made into Chimera against their will. Al heading off to Xing is nice, if only for the shipping aspects. It's clear that Al isn't just heading off to Xing to research, let's face it.

Ed and Winry's moment was nice, it's always great to see two characters who are so quirky and almost stupid about how they approach things like love. The fact that Ed has to put it in scientific terms just to get across what the hell he means is so funny and so true to his character. The fact that Winry quickly blurts it out but then tries to change it, is also reflective of her character. It's a nice moment and a perfect way to close off these two characters and their relationship. The fact that Ed and Al decide to travel the world is also nice, and again true to who they are. Their curiousity is too great, and you know they wont be happy to just stay in one place. That is until the day of that photo obviously hahah....

Speaking of which the photos ruled, nuff said.

I've loved every moment of this series and I am going to miss it dearly.

So long, it's been a hell of a ride smile.gif
MustangSally
I like the change they made with the fact Mustang was already going to focus on Ishbal rather than being basically blackmailed like in the manga. I also like that Mustang said he wanted Havoc healed before him.

Me too. That never really felt true to character for me. Why would Mustang need to be TOLD what to do, he was never in it for the personal glory but to make up for his 'sins'? One thing the manga did better was showing that Roy was now suddenly faced with the fact that he'd lost his eyesight and that really had changed everything, he'd have to retire from the military. It really IS a big thing to face and it had only been maybe a day since it happened and most of that time had been spent with the adrenaline pumping with a battle going on, it was the first quiet time he'd had to face it. So it was perfectly understandable that he was sitting their quietly, with his head in hands, at the point Knox found him.

But I don't think on finding out there was a philosopher's stone to help him he'd need to be blackmailed by Marcoh into helping Ishbal. It would have made more sense to me to have Marcoh maybe ask, before he would give him the stone, what he was going to do when he go this eyesight back. At which point Roy would have said something like "Well I already said Grumman could have it so I guess I'll focus on helping the Ishbalans rebuild their homeland until he retires".

So in that sense I was glad for the change, Roy got to be proactive. And I also think he'd definitely have said "Use this on Havoc first", another thing that wasn't shown in the manga but everything we've learned about Mustang so far points that being his reaction.
Radadinator
Oh man, what an episode...

I love what they did with the Mustang and co. scene, feels more complete than in the manga. Especially with the inclusion of Havoc. Judging from the photo in the manga of Havoc learning how to walk again, I always thought that Havoc wouldn't be completely healed even with the stone.

Everything with the walk to Risembool and Winry was amazing and brilliant. Den looked really retarded, though.

Ed hammering his finger made me laugh. Also Al's shirt is a horrible shade of orange.

Selim waving goodbye is adorable. Too bad we never found out where his tattoo was. (Always thought it was on his buttcheek.)

I friggin' love that the chimeras are going to go with Al to Xing. If there's a continuation of the series, I seriously want it to be about Al and chimeras' adventures in the east. Screw Ed's journey to the west, Jerso and Zampano are boss.

Yeah, sure, Al, learning alkahestry with May. (Can 'learning alkahestry with May' be an AlxMay euphemism like apple pie is for Edwin?)

Wait, what if those kids in Falman's picture are just his family? Reminds me of Brock's family photo in Pokemon (must be the eyes.)

Aw, Al didn't have any kids. Oh wait, is May like, 14 now or something? Okay, never mind. But whoa, May grew taller than Winry!

EDIT: Ed's hands look like they were caught in a beartrap.

Sinking into complete misery now that fma is completely over...oh wait, a movie? Man, they really want to milk this series for all it's worth, huh?

EDIT 2: Just caught sight of these two outside the coffee shop.

http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab172/n...20stuff/lol.png

I definitely remember seeing them in a few other episodes.
starkast
Loved it.
crazyanimefan
I thought the episode was excellent. Totally didn't mind the changes at all, especially involving Roy and Co. I thought it was quite fitting for Roy to use the Philosopher's Stone on Havoc first, and I admit that I squealed like a little girl from happiness at the (very in-character) thought of Roy putting his men first. Also, I like that he was already focusing on trying to atone and help Ishbal, instead of being somewhat-blackmailed in the manga.

I think that the Trio's hug was cute, but the music threw me off a little. It's not that it didn't fit, because I'm sure it was Trisha's Lullaby or something, but I was expecting something different. Still, it worked. The slow walk towards the door was excrutiating and I was completely satisfied at the end.

The proposal was good. Short and sweet. I loved seeing it animated, especially the hug. It gave me warm fuzzies inside.

And finally, the montage. Mustang stache must die. Oh gosh, the Falman kids. The graves of Trisha and Hoho made me sad and happy at the same time. The family photo + Paninya and Garfiel didn't bother me too much, but I still prefer the original. The thing that the final scene lacked was some Gracia and Elysia, which was something that I was hoping they could add in the anime. Ah well.

And for those who would like it, this little edit found on DA has hopefully not been posted:
Actual Family Picture
Icy12
QUOTE (crazyanimefan @ Jul 7 2010, 11:35 PM) *
And for those who would like it, this little edit found on DA has hopefully not been posted:
Actual Family Picture

Thank you times 1000!!!!! laugh.gif
Huge improvement!
Elisabeth Hawkeye
QUOTE (crazyanimefan @ Jul 8 2010, 05:35 AM) *

Great! We were waiting for it all the time happy.gif I think that it will be my new wallpaper biggrin.gif
Winry Chi
-The epic walk Winry takes to answer her door.
-Alphonse at Gracia's.
-How hardcore they made Ed blush during his "proposal scene."
-Ed's soliloquy "Heart of Fullmetal."

Dislikes:
-Winry's hair not mirroring Trisha's in the Family Photo. Why BONES? Just why.
-The time alter of when Roy was offered the Philosopher's Stone.
-Ed and Al being drawn very, wide, they were not that wide at that age in the manga. It makes them very disproportionate and I can't take them seriously with their fat necks. (most scenes in this Ep had them like that D: )
-Roystash. Riza needs to smack that caterpillar off his face. I'm seriously hoping it was just an "Ed-edit" with permanent marker. If so, then I would approve.
- Winry and Ed's hair length. Continuity anyone?? -____-;
-Ed looks way off during the walk home.
-Alphonse during the walk home. His face, his head. It looked...very off.
-Mei and Lin flashback, Why oh why could we not have just seen the events in the right order?
-Family picture. Mei being in the family photo in the manga held extreme meaning. Brotherhood threw Paninya and Garfiel in there, which destroys that meaning. I could see if they showed the original Family Photo then they showed another one taken directly after it, in which they joined in, that would be cool.
-The photos on the wall had problems with Ed's bangs. -.- Manga references, do use them while animating.

Unsure of:
-EdoWin proposal. It felt rushed.

Overall:
BONES should have spent more time animating this Ep rather than rushing through it. Seriously, it was the final ep, it deserved the very best, which sadly... I don't think it was the best it could have been.
Icy12
@ Winry Chi...

While I agree with practically all of your likes/dislikes, the only one I disagree with is the Winry hairstyle. I actually did like that Winry's hair did not resemble Trisha. As beautiful as the picture is in the manga, it was the hairstyle that kind of irked me. But that is my personal opinion... happy.gif;
zephyr_zealot
The ending was better then season 1 FMA. It's because in Brotherhood, at least Al had kept his memories with Ed while he was in a suit of armor. =)

Like:

Hohenheim died peacefully. It must be hard to be an immortal.

When busybody Ed asked Al about May, which the question was whether Al likes May or not.

When Ed was fixing the roof. He accidentally hit his fingers while hammering a nail. It reminds me of Homer Simpson.

Plus, I enjoyed the part when Ed & Al meet Winry. She was so surprised when she accidentally heard what Al said before she opened the door. A sweet scene.

When Ed expressed his love towards Winry in a scientific way. LOL

Dislike:

Roy's some kind of facial italian mustache. It ruined his macho-ness. T_T

Conclusion:

Another season of FMA wrapped up. We will miss all of FMA characters especially Ed&Al.
Right now, let's cheers for another FMA movie!
XD

penguintruth
I enjoyed the final episode thoroughly, especially when they show Edward on the train, like the last scene of the first series. If only he reached up into the sky!

I don't see the big issue with Roy's mustache. It doesn't really suit him, but it's not some terrible abomination. Get over it.

My review is up on my blog, and I'm working on an overall review for Brotherhood!
shanryelric
QUOTE (Winry Chi @ Jul 9 2010, 01:41 AM) *
-The epic walk Winry takes to answer her door.
-Alphonse at Gracia's.
-How hardcore they made Ed blush during his "proposal scene."
-Ed's soliloquy "Heart of Fullmetal."

Dislikes:
-Winry's hair not mirroring Trisha's in the Family Photo. Why BONES? Just why.
-The time alter of when Roy was offered the Philosopher's Stone.
-Ed and Al being drawn very, wide, they were not that wide at that age in the manga. It makes them very disproportionate and I can't take them seriously with their fat necks. (most scenes in this Ep had them like that D: )
-Roystash. Riza needs to smack that caterpillar off his face. I'm seriously hoping it was just an "Ed-edit" with permanent marker. If so, then I would approve.
- Winry and Ed's hair length. Continuity anyone?? -____-;
-Ed looks way off during the walk home.
-Alphonse during the walk home. His face, his head. It looked...very off.
-Mei and Lin flashback, Why oh why could we not have just seen the events in the right order?
-Family picture. Mei being in the family photo in the manga held extreme meaning. Brotherhood threw Paninya and Garfiel in there, which destroys that meaning. I could see if they showed the original Family Photo then they showed another one taken directly after it, in which they joined in, that would be cool.
-The photos on the wall had problems with Ed's bangs. -.- Manga references, do use them while animating.

Unsure of:

Overall:
BONES should have spent more time animating this Ep rather than rushing through it. Seriously, it was the final ep, it deserved the very best, which sadly... I don't think it was the best it could have been.

I aggree to every words you've said especially the photo. WHATTHEHECK are those two doing in there????!??!?! seriously. if it's izumi & sig or gracia & elicia it would be better BUT WHY PANINYA AND GARFIEL???
and yeah, roystache, it's ruining everything -,-
FailToImpress
QUOTE (Winry Chi @ Jul 8 2010, 07:41 PM) *
Unsure of:

How could it possibly have been done less quickly? I'm just curious, because generally things happen faster in animation than they do in manga. I think if it was any longer it would have dragged on a bit when it didn't need to be.
AXavierB
I... really don't get why everyone is so upset about Paninya and Garfiel being in the picture. They're Winry's friends and, in a way, surrogate family.
~Puppet Alphonse~
Oh I absolutely loved the proposal scene. It was perfect.

I also liked the added short conversation of Ed and Al on the way to the house. When Ed was asking Al if he had feelings about May and when Al asked if he was 'sure' about Winry. Which could be many things, 'Are you sure you have feelings for her?' 'Are you sure you want her to be your girlfriend?', ect. Because during the 2 years before the proposal they were probably a item. I don't see Ed and Winry being best friends and then suddenly "WILL YOU MARRY ME? OLOL". She Ed might have asked Winry out shortly after their arrival home.

Oh, and I HATED Winry's walk to the front door. I think they drove it out wayyy too long. I hate suspense. XD

And also, Alphonse's voice in his real body threw me off. It seemed a bit surreal for a little boy's voice to be coming from a young man. Nothing against Al's voice actress, though.

(Ps. Anyone else love Schoolgirl Elisha? biggrin.gif )
JackDawkins
QUOTE (AXavierB @ Jul 10 2010, 11:22 AM) *
I... really don't get why everyone is so upset about Paninya and Garfiel being in the picture. They're Winry's friends and, in a way, surrogate family.

They were only in two episodes of the anime (not counting episodes 60/61). It just seems sort of out of place for them to be there because they didn't seem to have as great an impact on the lives of the characters (from what we saw) as Izumi and Sig or maybe Gracia and Elicia. It takes away from the whole "family photo" aspect that made it so special by adding in two random characters that hardly played a prominent or important role in the main characters' lives.
Chiyo
I'm agree with how strange it seemed adding in Garfiel and Paninya...I can only think that maybe they play a greater role in the movie and so we are being reminded of them for that reason.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.