Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Episode 63: The Other Side Of The Gate - Content Discussion Thread
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Anime > FMA:Brotherhood anime Spoiler Zone
Pages: 1, 2
Chiyo
Talk-back/content discussion for English dubbed episode on Adult Swim starts on page 6. smile.gif

Please post the discussions on the content of episode 63 here.
This thread is declared as a Spoiler zone for the content of the first 63 episodes.
The first page of this topic contains Spoiler Prevention posts in case somebody stumbles on the thread accidentally. Discussion begins on page 2.

ALL DISCUSSIONS ON EPISODE 63 ARE TO BE CONTAINED HERE. DO NOT DISCUSS 64 HERE, PLEASE SEE BELOW.

<Special Reminder/Plea for the contents of final 2 episodes (eps 63 - 64) of FMA:Brotherhood anime >

As FMA:Brotherhood anime series is coming to it's final stage, here are special reminders for the contents of final 2 episodes (eps 63 - 64) of FMA:Brotherhood anime. smile.gif

Since the storyline for FMA:Brotherhood anime is closely tied to FMA manga, and there are many FMA fans who do not wish to be spoiled of the storyline before they get the chance to watch those episodes of FMA:B anime and/or read FMA manga chapter 108....

* Please DO NOT post ANY part of eps 63-64 content, including "preview" discussions, speculations, etc. of these episodes on any other threads in any part of the forums, except on designated discussion threads. This applies to ALL threads on our board, including many of the character discussion threads such as Hawkeye X Roy: The Royai Thread, Edward & Winry! Aka Ed X Win thread, and so on, including FMA:B episode 62 content discussion thread in FMA:Brotherhood anime forum. Please post any discussion on any content of episodes 63-64 on designated threads only. Yes, this is different from our usual practice, but we ask everyone's cooperation. If you happen to forget and make post with such contents on non-designated threads, please do not mind that the board staff may go ahead and edit your post so that no contents from episodes 63-64 would be discussed on your post.

Please also note that:
* When posting any pics from these final 2 episods, yes, even when posting on the designated threads, please post as LINKS and not IMAGES. (i.e. don't use [img][/img] BBcode, and also no use of thumbnails by uploading the pic to our site.) If you happen to forgot and post such images, please do not mind that the board staff may go ahead and edit your post so that no direct image would be showing on your post.

* Please DO NOT make signature or avatar that would indicate/show the content of final 2 episodes, either by images or by text.
If you happen to forget and make such, please do not mind that the board staff may go ahead and edit such avatar or signature.

-----------------

Currently, we have the following designated threads, and planning to add more as time goes.

For those who have read FMA manga chapter 108, and wish to speculate/discuss possible contents in the series' final episodes of FMA:Brotherhood anime, please add your post on
"The Series Final Episode content speculation/wishful thinking thread - For those who had READ FMA MANGA Final chapter" with your comments with your speculations and wishful thinking for the contents of episodes 64.

For those who have NOT read FMA manga final chapter, and wish to speculate/discuss possible contents in the final 2 episodes of FMA:Brotherhood anime, please add your post on
"The Series Final Episode content speculation/wishful thinking thread - For those who had NOT READ FMA MANGA Final chapter" with your comments with your speculations and wishful thinking for the contents of episodes 64.

Additionally:
Royai fans who had read FMA manga chapter 108, you can includes some additional comments on the speculation/wish-list for the contents of the final 2 episodes of FMA:Brotherhood anime, as part of discussions for the conclusion of the FMA manga seires/FMA chapter 108 content, on Royai related matters, on
Reflections - Temporary Discussion Thread For Royai Fans upon the ending of FMA manga series

EdxWin fans who had read FMA manga chapter 108, you can includes some additional comments on the speculation/wish-list for the contents of the final 2 episodes of FMA:Brotherhood anime, as part of discussions for the conclusion of the FMA manga seires/FMA chapter 108 content, on EdxWin related matters, on
Reflections - Temporary Discussion Thread For EdxWin Fans upon the ending of FMA manga series

AlxMei fans who had read FMA manga chapter 108, you can includes some additional comments on the speculation/wish-list for the contents of the final 2 episodes of FMA:Brotherhood anime, as part of discussions for the conclusion of the FMA manga seires/FMA chapter 108 content, on AlxMei related matters, on
Reflections - Temporary Discussion Thread For AlxMei Fans upon the ending of FMA manga series

Please don't ask for links on where to watch this episode, raw or subbed. Discussions on 'where to watch' belong in Where/How to Watch FMA Series 2. Don't post screencaps unless highlighting something important about the content of the episode. Just like on in most area's of the board, avoid one line posts, spam of any kind or conversations between two members.

Screenshots: see divinespirit's post.

Summary: Edward continues to pummel a weakened Father, who struggles to keep "God" inside of him. He grabs Greed's Philosopher's Stone, and Greed turns parts of his body into weakened carbon to make it easier to finish him. Father rips Greed out, and the greedy homunculus dies with a smile on his face. Edward continues his attack, and Father finds it impossible to hold "God" in any longer. He is pulled into himself by the black hands and ends up at the Gate with the Truth. Father defends his intentions, but the Truth says it's time for him to recieve punishment for his arrogance, and Father is pulled into the Gate, which closes. People mourn Alphonse's sacrifice and Hohenheim volunteers to sacrifice himself to bring him back. Edward rejects this offer and decides to sacrifice something of his own. Using a human transmutation array, Edward sends himself to the Gate, where he decides to sacrifice his own Gate. Truth tells him he will no longer be able to use alchemy, but he says it's fine, as long as he has friends. He retrieves Al and they exit through Al's doors. Central's radio station reports that the Fuhrer and his son died in the conflict. Edward delivers the tiny Selim to Mrs. Bradley. Alex thanks Hohenheim for his sons, who saved the country, and Hohenheim walks off. Arriving in Risembool the next morning, Hohenheim dies as he kneels at his wife's grave. Pinako finds him there with a smile on his face. - © Penguintruth, used with permission and taken from his blog.

*WARNING*

Please follow these simple rules;

-Do not spam.
-No Spoilers
-Do not go off topic
-Do not fight

Spam means one line posts that contain little content. "OMG that ep was so cool" would be an example of spam. If you enjoyed the episode please specify what you enjoyed so much, was there anything you didn't like? If you ant to have a conversation with someone, do so via PM. Please also avoid clogging up the pages with replies that involves you quoting someone and adding "I agree" or similar.

Spoilers mean anything you know (or guess) will happen in the upcoming episode. Not everybody reads the manga and you may reveal something they didn't know. For for episode 64 discussionpredictions, please go to the relevant topic. If you are unsure how to use spoiler tags, please ask.

Going off topic means discussing a characters actions outside of the episode, or talking about the artwork, or upcoming episodes etc. I know this can happen easily so don't be upset if I move your posts or guide you in the right direction. Double check the forum for the right place to take your post, or if required, start a new topic.

Everybody can voice their opinion, and nobody is correct just as nobody is incorrect. Because none of you will spam (right?) people will justify why they didn't like something. You are welcome to say "well I like that part because..." but you CAN NOT say "no you are wrong because..."
Chiyo
"Accidental-spoiler prevention" post
Chiyo
Chiyo
Chiyo
Chiyo
Chiyo
Chiyo
Chiyo
Chiyo
Chiyo
Chiyo
Chiyo
Chiyo
Chiyo
Chiyo
Chiyo

Actual discussions start below. smile.gif
deet-tastic
I'm not watching keyhole or anything, but I'm checking "hagaren" twitter updates and I'm seeing so many "グリード" (greed) followed by "AAHHH" and "NOOOO"
>:D
Think I know how the ep starts. Haha, it made me crack up. Just thought I'd share this. XP
RaphieL
I watched it on keyhole and I wasn't expecting most of the chapter in this episode.

I loved the use of rain when Hoenheim died.

I cried.

Sayonara, hagane no.
penguintruth
My initial thoughts:

- Go, Greed!
- Holy crap, he pulled his head out!
- Greed... ;_;
- I would not want to be Father right now. Karma's a beeotch, guy.
- I sort of find Father-blob at the Gate to be a little... cute. And his Truth, too.
- Yeah, I still have no idea about Father's true nature.
- Woah, is Edward crying? I don't recall that from chapter 108!
- And I'll miss you most of all, Mr. Scarcrow!
- '"Scuse me, May. Gonna go fetch your boyfriend for you. But I get dibs on naming your kids."
- Hm, this seems... FAMILIAR.
- "I'll sacrifice this... just as long as I don't have to live in Munich, Germany after WWI."
- Quick, get the food from his list ready! OH NO, HE LEFT HIS LIST IN THE ARMOR!
- "Next up on Radio Capital, the Wrap-Up Show, with Jon Hein and Gary Del'Abate."
- Oooh, and added scene with Hohenheim and Alex!
- "Bang." NEVER SEEN A BLUER SKY... I CAN FEEL IT REACHING OUT AND MOVING FORWARD... THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT BLUE... ;_;
- Special Hoho-Papa credits!

Damn, despite all my griping, I'm going to miss this show! DON'T GO AWAY, FMA! Do another version! With black jack! And hookers! In fact, forget the blackjack!

Heh, next episode's going to have Edward on a train... mayyyybe in the final scene? An echo of series 1? Anyway, looking forward to... and dreading... it!

If you'll excuse me... I have... some stuff in my eye! I... it's raining!
RaphieL
I have... some stuff in my eye! I... it's raining!

It's raining here too.
Michiyo-
- No OP again, we start with a flashback. I almost forgot the creepy voice of Homunculus.
- Farewell, Greed. You were the best Homunculus.
- And Father is back to the Gate.
- Loved the scene with Ed and Hoho. It was so sad, I feel like crying too.
- Everyone is so sad. But Ed seems to be happy now that he has a plan to get Al back.
- Aww, Trisha and Hoho eyecatch.
- They used the Main theme again for the trade in the Gate.
- And the reunion of the brothers. smile.gif
- May hugging Al was cute.
- I hear new, nice music during the radio announcement.
- Extra scene with Hoho and Armstrong. Hoho is crying again. sad.gif
- I liked that they added the scene when Hoho talking to Trisha.
- And the ep. is ending with Hoho.
Loved the whole episode, it made me cry. Canít wait for the next one. Wait, no, it'll be the last one. I don't want it to end! ;_;
Elisabeth Hawkeye
QUOTE (penguintruth @ Jun 27 2010, 09:30 AM) *

Yes I don't recall that too, but it's better like this cause it makes that scene more epic, and to tell the truth it makes me cry with him happy.gif
Hoho and Alex - I wish I could understand what they talking about
And that credits - I was like huh.gif what the heck? I start to cry again, even if I know that there is still one more episode, but poor Hoho he deserve that special credits and Rain to it - that was really beautiful mellow.gif
penguintruth
Obviously, Hohenheim and Alex were having a conversation about facial hair.
allykatty1
QUOTE (Elisabeth Hawkeye @ Jun 27 2010, 12:45 AM) *
QUOTE (penguintruth @ Jun 27 2010, 09:30 AM) *

Yes I don't recall that too, but it's better like this cause it makes that scene more epic, and to tell the truth it makes me cry with him happy.gif

Oh no, Ed crying was definitely in the manga! smile.gif

http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/108/038/

In fact, I still need to see the episode in HD, of course, but at the moment I still prefer the manga panel... I thought it was more intense - lots of other people on the 108 Thread thought so too! I guess that wasn't so for everyone then, lol... Looking at the manga again, I guess I can see how the tear tracks could be missed in the black-and-white drawings though - if I don't look closely, they can appear to blend into the lines of his bangs. But... no, I take it back - I just loved it so much I have a hard time NOT seeing the tears, haha! tongue.gif You guys really don't remember it?! I am stunned. O_o

This episode was one that I almost wish I hadn't read the manga for - I am giddy to see it animated, but knowing what is going to happen does lessen the impact a little. Didn't care for the music choice when Ed gets Al from the Gate. Couldn't they have used a new track?!

The Hoho/Armstrong scene makes me optimistic for more fleshing out of scenes in Episode 64. It also makes me wonder where they're going to fit in Marcoh's scene with Roy, since they have passed over the battlefield already. And Scar's scene with Olivier. They already showed Hohenheim going back to Resembool... are they just going to backtrack now to show the rest of the battle aftermath?? o_O Weird choice, but I shall wait to see what they do with it... happy.gif
divinespirit
Episode 63 Screencaps and Impressions:
http://randomc.net/2010/06/27/fullmetal-al...brotherhood-63/
Elisabeth Hawkeye
Btw they forgot a little that Armstrong was crying too.
http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/108/039/
black~hayate
Wow. I loved the details of this episode. For example, while Ed made some badass-alchemy, the nails on his restored hand still were longer than on the old hand.

Aaand maybe it's just me, but they kinda made pretty much extra scenes, could it be?

The music in the end was something new, I believe...

So the next episode is gonna show us kinda everything from the future.

I think father was beaten too fast.

@Elisabeth: No, Alex cried. I saw it =)

And Father (black blob) looked so funny in front of the door. He looked like some kind of digimon. I remember the baby-levens to look pretty much like a head with ears or paws. This one... how shall we name it? Papamon? Papamon evolves tooo... Fathermon!
Flamez_Freak
the art in the first half of the episode was pretty mediocre , STOP SLACKIN OFF BONES...otherwise , i have no complaints from this episode ...im glad to find a few Extra scenes...AND I MISS HOHO ALREADY..............
Broken Chouchou
Bawww ;__;
Seeker of Truth
Wow, it is raining! crybaby.gif
Icy12
Didn't get a chance to watch it yet. But since there has been no mention of it, I was wondering if the scene where Izumi's husband hugs Al was animated. Or did they just bypass that?
dec4rhapsody
QUOTE (Seeker of Truth @ Jun 27 2010, 11:44 PM) *
Wow, it is raining! crybaby.gif

Raining???

Nope, it was just me bawling....

EDIT: I love Hohenheim's seiyuu (he also voiced Papabear in Gundam 00), especially when he pronounces "juubun/enough".
Kirara
QUOTE (allykatty1 @ Jun 27 2010, 03:33 AM) *
Oh no, Ed crying was definitely in the manga! smile.gif

http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/108/038/

In fact, I still need to see the episode in HD, of course, but at the moment I still prefer the manga panel... I thought it was more intense - lots of other people on the 108 Thread thought so too! I guess that wasn't so for everyone then, lol... Looking at the manga again, I guess I can see how the tear tracks could be missed in the black-and-white drawings though - if I don't look closely, they can appear to blend into the lines of his bangs. But... no, I take it back - I just loved it so much I have a hard time NOT seeing the tears, haha! tongue.gif You guys really don't remember it?! I am stunned. O_o

You aren't the only one I definitely noticed Ed crying during that scene in the manga. In fact that was one of my 3 favorite moments in the final chapter. I can't say what the other two are because well they should be in the next episode. smile.gif
Elisabeth Hawkeye
QUOTE (Icy12 @ Jun 27 2010, 05:31 PM) *
Didn't get a chance to watch it yet. But since there has been no mention of it, I was wondering if the scene where Izumi's husband hugs Al was animated. Or did they just bypass that?

Ah...that's right they bypass it, but maybe it will be in the last episode. Since Ed was with Al in the gate, I was really looking forward to see it animated and nothing like this happend at all, so it'll be really pitty if they're not gonna put this part to the last episode happy.gif
Kirara
I haven't watched the episode yet (just looked at screencaps and read discussions) but is it true that Al touches Hohenheim before receiving the hug from Mei?

If that is so I like this change because while I did love that Al got a jolt from touching Hohenheim (and I love the it's warm line) I didn't understand in the manga why he didn't get a similar jolt right after Mei hugged him (when that was really his 1st human contact).
Elisabeth Hawkeye
QUOTE (Kirara @ Jun 27 2010, 07:02 PM) *
I haven't watched the episode yet (just looked at screencaps and read discussions) but is it true that Al touches Hohenheim before receiving the hug from Mei?

If that is so I like this change because while I did love that Al got a jolt from touching Hohenheim (and I love the it's warm line) I didn't understand in the manga why he didn't get a similar jolt right after Mei hugged him (when that was really his 1st human contact).

I though that his really first human contact was with Ed in gate, but as Al touched Hoho I waited for it - it was funny see it in manga happy.gif
Kirara
QUOTE (Elisabeth Hawkeye @ Jun 27 2010, 12:30 PM) *
I though that his really first human contact was with Ed in gate, but as Al touched Hoho I waited for it - it was funny see it in manga happy.gif

But that was in the gate, I don't think that counts because you can argue what happens there is not necessarily physical.
shanryelric
definetely one of my favorites!!!!! ; A ;

I love it. it's perfect and have no fast paced feel in it at all for me!! notice Roy's flame is dragon looks? Owo AWESOME!!
deet-tastic
I think I'm lucky to be watching this at a cousins house on a laptop. Otherwise, I would have cried throughout the whole thing. I held 'em back though!! I almost lost it though when Ed cried as he said Otousan (dad) But.. I disapeared at the end into a corner to watch hohenheims bit at the end. That's when it was raining. I loved that they gave Hoho some more..scenes in this compared to the manga. I LOVE YOU PAPA HOHO :'D

In regards to the episode overall. I loved all of it. I wish they kept in Ed's. "And major...you're crying again." I laughed at that in the manga, because Ed says it like it's just this normal everyday thing. As normal as Olivier stabbing people. (haaa)

I loved that they used the track from episode 59 in this, when Wrath and Scar faced off. They played it when Father was at the Gate. AND GET THIS, I felt a tad bit sad for father. And I caught myself, paused the video and thought to myself. "wtf, why do I feel sorry for this jerk?" I pushed it aside though.

I loved loved LOVED when Ed was at the gate and Ed's truth had a ohmy.gif
on it's face. I need to screencap that. It was priceless. (I fell in love with Truths laugh too XP)

While watching the extremely genius credits, it hit me SO hard that this is ending next week. That's it. When the manga ended, I at least comforted myself with "brotherhood is still going" but..but..
Oh dear, looks like it's going to rain.

EDIT:
Forgot to mention; I.AM.IN.LOVE.WITH.THE.HOHOXTRISHA.EYECATCH.
I love you bones iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou!
FailToImpress
I didn't cry as much as I did when I read the manga... but I cried a lot more at the end. I liked that they fleshed out Hoho's part in all this. Man, I'm so sad now and tomorrow's my birthday. sad.gif

Can't wait for the last episode.

Wait, I just remembered something. Does anyone else find it weird/cool that this week's english dubbed episode is when Hohenheim visits Trisha's grave. This isn't the first time this has happened either.
ShadowCat17
Anyone else notice that when Ed is speaking to Truth, and he is hearing all those voices calling to him, at the end there's a short pause, and then Winry's voice is last? o.O

Also, in that last confrontation that Ed had with Truth, Truth's voice sounded more like Ed's own voice than usual. It used to sound more ambiguously mixed I thought.

I didn't notice until I saw it here in the anime, but looking back it is also true in the manga - I thought it was interesting that Homunculus's Door of Truth is completely plain, compared to a human's which has a sort of Sephirot tree engraved in it. I wonder what that could mean.

Looks like they'll have just enough space in the next episode to cover what they need to cover, plus one or two extra scenes that they may or may not be inclined to add...lol
EveningAlchemist
Magnificent! wub.gif I am moved to tears again! <insert obligatory Roy quote> They certainly saved the most grand music for last, and I really enjoyed it! Animation has kept the same standard as through-out the series so I am satisfied enough.

It felt odd being sorry for Father - all he wanted was a body ultimate godly power... but he got what he deserved of course. His scene in the gate was interesting to say the least, and I was almost speaking along with the truth when he did his "I am everything" speech.

I love the fact that Hohenheim got a little extra love, since I think he's a very important character to the plot - almost as important as Ed & Al. But dang... did he really have to go and make me cry like that! cry.gif Especially with the "I really don't want to die" quote. The extra scene with Armstrong was nice too

QUOTE (FailToImpress @ Jun 27 2010, 03:30 PM) *
Wait, I just remembered something. Does anyone else find it weird/cool that this week's english dubbed episode is when Hohenheim visits Trisha's grave. This isn't the first time this has happened either.

Yeah... this has happened so many times it is hardly a coincidence anymore - like Hughes death and Roy's revenge being in the same week too... but how in the world could you plan something like that? O_o Must be alchemy interference or something... tongue.gif
AXavierB
Was it me or did it seem like Hohenheim was mourning Homunculus before Armstrong came to talk to him? I thought that was a nice touch.
Tennyo_night_elf
I loved this episode. I caught that the last voice calling to Edward when he was speaking to Truth was Winry, loved the little fan service.

Yes, I cried too. It was very emotional for PapaHoho and Ed, and just this is the next to the last episode of the series.

One thing I did also catch was when the ending was rolling, how the last opening rain was tied into Hoho. The opening is filled with subtle spoilers if you think about it. I always was curious about the last part of the ending where Ed looks up to the sky and we see Trisha, then Ed sleeping with Winry watching him, and then a house that looks like their old one. I think this was tying in old and new. Trisha wasn't looking down at Ed, she was looking down at Hoho at the grave welcoming him home (heaven perhaps?).

I am glad they didn't fit everything into 63. The Greed part was touching, and Hoho really felt bad about everything, I think he blamed himself. I hope the missing hugs from the Curtis crew get added to 64.

Some of the animation though bugged me a bit, especially the look of Ed's neck, mouth, and chin during the gate part.
AXavierB
Yeah, the art looked pretty bad throughout much of the episode, but I'm willing to forgive it since the last ones looked so awesome and this one makes up for the sub-par animation with great character portrayal and that scene with Hohopapa and Armstrong.
deet-tastic
I did notice hoho was standing where homunculus died. So I was thinking; "Is he blaming himself for EVERYTHING?" because he had that flashback about Homunculus saying "your blood created me" (whatever the quote is) I bet you money he was blaming himself for it all.

But now, and I kind of understand, I want all your opinions of why Hoho thanked Alex. After Armstrong said Ed and Al saved the entire population of Amestris. Why did hoho say thanks? ?
JackDawkins
QUOTE (deet-tastic @ Jun 27 2010, 05:35 PM) *
But now, and I kind of understand, I want all your opinions of why Hoho thanked Alex. After Armstrong said Ed and Al saved the entire population of Amestris. Why did hoho say thanks? ?

I'm thinking because his sons were able to save an entire population from Homunculus' plan when he hadn't been able to.

I really loved this episode. I thought they got everything spot on even when they changed things around. It made me emotional all over again. Also I loved how when Ed's Truth was speaking to him his voice gradually changed to sound exactly like Ed's. That was a great touch as well as several other things they did throughout the episode. The ED sequence was amazing too.

And I'm thinking with that scene in the preview of Ed on the train, if they do a callback to the first series I remember it ended with Ed and Al on separate trains going separate ways with Al's voice over of how equivalent exchange wasn't a true principle but they still believed in it. Maybe this time it will be the same scenario with Al explaining how equivalent exchange is still a true principle but they're going to try and overturn it.

First post in these forums...is it okay? .............Welcome to the forums! You are doing fine. ^^ ~ Tombow
AXavierB
When Hohenheim was talking about how Father was created from his blood, it seemed to me like he was about to say he was sorry for playing a part in Father's birth and thus his confinement to the flask. I felt like it was supposed to be kind of a callback to how he considers himself a failure as a father; he failed Ed and Al, and he feels like he failed his first "child" too. That's just my interpretation, though. They probably meant to insinuate something else entirely.

I think it'd be awesome of the scene with Ed on the train plays out exactly as it did in the first anime, with him and Al reaching up toward the sky.

By the way I JUST realized something. That scene at the end of the Shunkan Sentimental ED with the two hands grabbing onto each other seemed kinda like the part in this episode where Al touches Hohenheim after returning from the Gate. But maybe I'm looking too far into it.
Seeker of Truth
QUOTE (Kirara @ Jun 27 2010, 11:02 AM) *

I got the impression in the manga that Hoho transferred his "last" life to Al when they shook hands. Hoho died very soon after he did that in the manga, which means he would not have really had a "life" to give up for Al's if he died that quick after the fight otherwise. Also explains how Al recovered so quickly afterwards. Very well could be wrong.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.