Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Manga Ed And Anime (FMA-1) Ed, Which Ed Do You Prefer? (Spoiler Alert!)
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > FMA Character Discussions
Full Metal SHORTY!!!
What's your opinion on Manga Ed and Anime-1 Ed?

Do you like Manga Ed? Or FMA-1 Ed? Which Ed do you prefer? And why?

I think Manga Ed has more attitude, and FMA-1 Ed got more cuteness!

What do you think?
Tell us what each Ed is like in your view, and tell us which one you prefer!!

Note from board staff, June 25, 2010:
@Full Metal SHORTY!!! - Currently, we generally discourage opening any more of plain "A or B?" thread in our Character discussion forum, but since this is on the main character of the series we'll make this one as an exception. But, we turned it as more of "discussion" thread than a plain "A or B?" thread, and expanded the parameter of the thread topic to make this as a thread where posters can tell us and discuss their analysis of each character. And, expanded the poll choices accordingly. Hope you don't mind. :)
Claudius
I prefer AnimeEdward. The experiences he had (refusing to transmute criminals without any help from a person's glare, killing Homunculus, going through the GAte a couple times- a particularly mind-screwing experience- and being dead for a few minutes), and his ability to still be a good person makes him the stronger person. Perhaps MangaEd has the same strength, but we never saw him go through any of the tradgedies or harrowing experiences the Anime1 version did. It would be unfair to say MangaEd had the stronger morality; he was just luckier.
LooneyLolita
Manga!Ed, He's hardcore.
Anime!Ed is so Angsty and Emo for my liking :/
Full Metal SHORTY!!!
I still prefer the anime Ed!! He's just... nicer to everyone, in some weird kind of way smile.gif smile.gif

The Manga Ed is just...I don't know, a bit too... out there for me.
Misty- Nala
I prefer Anime 1 Ed, because, to me, he seems to be more human than his manga counterpart. He's more polite to people and doesn't try to prove his maturity all the time. He also ties some strong, non-military bonds.

It's very difficult to differ them from each other because, at the end, they're the same character. Their characteristics are just portrayed in a different way. In anime 1, Ed ties a bond with Russel and Fletcher, In Manga, that bond is with Ling.
AXavierB
They've both got their strengths and weaknesses. Anime!Ed is a little whiny, you could say. Then again, you can't really blame him considering what he's been through. If he didn't cry, I'd probably think he was some kind of sociopath. He also seems like someone I'd get along with if he existed in real life.

Manga!Ed seems more emotionally strong and stable, but he's also disturbingly distant at times. He's crass, arrogant and bitter. It makes him entertaining to watch, but if he were someone I knew in reality I'd probably end up hating him.
xMinty
deffinatly anime ed. manga ed isn't hot while anime ed is and manga ed is even more of a spazzy brat than he is in the anime. atleast in the anime he's really selfless and actually has some qualities that make him a nice person.
anime ed is actually a very sweet person and I like how they made tears in his eyes when Gracia's baby was born I found that very endearing. manga ed is cold and a lot more arrogant and I REALLY don't like him =/

and ahdviously I would choose cuteness over attitude ! <3
but I don't think anime ed's that cute just a spazzy brat lol x3

(*hides from ed fangirls please don't kill me, that means less competition 4 you, right?!?!*)
rosieechan
I like mangaEd better, personally. I like his funny attitude, and his hilarious moments never stop me from laughing. On top of that, he is so strong, personality and body wise. I dunno, maybe it's just because I love the manga/Brotherhood much more or something, I just prefer Edward there. animeEd was, as somebody already pointed out, too angsty. I like characters that have an attitude with the ability to keep sane. ^.^
hoprabbit
Ah, anime Ed for sure. I know she was the original creator, but the way Arakawa draws her characters(especially Winry in the later chapters...-shudder-) bothers me. -shrug-

Not that his personalities have nothing to do with it. Ed just seems more...I dunno, relatable in the anime. Maybe because he's moving. ^^;
My reasons are far more shallow than most, but really? I like Ed in the anime better cuz he's cuter and colored. XD -scratches head and waits for the wrench-
Carmencita
No one is going to wrench you, hoprabbit. lol

I prefer anime 1 Edward for some odd reasons that I'd get some wierd looks for so I leave my answer as simple as it is now. ^^'
hoprabbit
Aw, Carmencita, Is it cuz he takes a shower in it? XD

And to stay on topic, I also dislike manga Ed because he's more arrogant...^^;
Carmencita
QUOTE (hoprabbit @ Jun 23 2010, 04:12 PM) *
Aw, Carmencita, Is it cuz he takes a shower in it? XD

And to stay on topic, I also dislike manga Ed because he's more arrogant...^^;

How'd you know? >///< (What I really thought when I first read that: WHAT!? EXCUSE ME!? I take back what I said, someone hand me wrench! [You know we love you x3])

---

I truthfully haven't come up with any real reasons to dislike manag Ed. Well I don't dislike him I just prefer anime Ed (if you say ANYTHING you shall be bricked!)... .-. For my wierd reasons (again, say anything at all. x3)
Full Metal SHORTY!!!
I agree with you, Carmencita

I don't exactly dislike the manga Ed, but his personality isn't as nice as the Anime Ed smile.gif
KwiatekAlchemist
I prefer Anime Ed.
To me, his personality is just better than the manga Ed.
Or it might be because I'm to used to seeing the anime Ed, so that's why I like him more lol.
hoprabbit
XD It was the first thing that came to mind. ^^; I'm not a real Ed fangirl, but I know how fanservicey the shower was, sorta like the time Roy took his shirt off in brotherhood....-insert deviantart durrhurr face here-

So yeah. Nothing against you, and you're welcome to hit me with solids and liquids if need be. XD
Disasterpiece
i like manga ed, only because his expressions are so distinctive and unique happy.gif
AXavierB
I have much more disturbing reasons for liking both Eds so I'll also leave it at that.
Winry Chi
I like Manga!Ed better than Anime1Ed.

My Reasons for liking Manga!Ed more:
  • He is more stable.
  • His character is better rounded in personality than Anime1Ed. (Anime1Ed has too many conflicting personality traits in my opinion.)
  • He is more realistically drawn, Anime1Ed is drawn OVERLY and not to mention scarily muscular.
  • He can actually show that he cares deeply for certain people outwardly. ex. Winry, Al, Roy, etc.that Anime1Ed could not display as fluently or even admit to having in his mind in thoughts of them.
  • His short tantrums continue even after he is taller as a reflex. Anime1Ed seems to disown the short rants later on in the series compared to Manga!Ed.
  • He is more dedicated to Alphonse in the sense of what level of compassion he shows when talking to or about Alphonse in the manga. Anime1Ed is motivated, I'll give him that, but at the same time it shows that he sort of shifts his ulterior motive to eliminating the homunculi/beating Hohenheim towards the end of the anime.In the manga even when faced with the problems of Father and the Homunculi he still acted as if regaining their original bodies was still more important than what was at hand, the motive Edward Elric was intended to display.
  • He handles the mother-death-complex much better than Anime1Ed does. In the first anime Ed dwells on her death and is still fearing his own past during the whole series up until after the Sloth arc. In the manga, Ed has nightmares of her and what happened with the human transmutation occasionally, however this does not effect his waking life. He overcomes the mistake of the great taboo after he digs up her grave (a more solid end to his regret of thinking he killed his mother twice.)
  • Manga!Ed may seem a bit static when it comes to showing his emotions, but by reading closer readers can see that he holds in certain emotions on purpose, as they could tend to get in the way of his goal of gaining their bodies back. And he also denies his feelings several times as a selfless act as to not drag those he cares about into the mess he is drawn into with the Military and Homunculi.
  • Anime1Ed is too emotional, he is rather pitiful when compared with his original counterpart Manga!Ed. I think this because he dwells on the negative factors in life rather than moving forward, which is Ed's motivational line! Gosh, BONES!! ;D;
  • Manga!Ed is more mischievous, which leads to more comedy being able to subtlety happen in events you would not expect to happen if it were Anime1Ed.

But don't get me wrong, I loved the first anime series and still like it, but the manga is what captivated me overall. And when I think of the character Edward Elric I tend to draw more from his personality from the manga than the first anime series. Anime1Ed left an imprint on my thoughts as his own character, in my mind he is yet another "alternate universe Ed" rather than Ed interpreted wrongly by BONES.
xMinty
anime1 ed's conflicting personality traits made him seem like a real person. manga ed is simple and predictable.
and how anime1 ed is over emotional is one of the things I like about him xD
xHearter
I LOVED anime1ed!! ohmy.gif
reasons:
1.) he has a more complex personality and over all is more caring and serious. for example, he gives up more for al, but just little things like saying he doesn't know him in episode 9 so that al can stay at an Inn when they're in Uswelle. Then when al tries to bring him food ed is happy but he's still like, "you could get caught..." in the manga, al was the one who said he wasn't a state alchemist and then ed called him a trader and was complaining at how al lost his humanity to soon. the when all brings him food he's all like, "DEAR BROTHER!" (yes. I memorized this stuff. xD I didn't even look back for reference.)
2.) the way the failed transmutation and his mother's death affects him is far more realistic then it affecting him occasionally. and i like how the thing they created made a homunculi, and didn't just die like in the manga.
3.) his conflicting personality traits make him realistic, fun to watch, and hilarious.
4.) he is actually a nice and caring person outside of the battles that he consists in, which makes me actually get sad when he's hurt, ad scared when h's in danger. Where as the manga ed I really dont care if he dies. okay, thats a lie, i still cry for him, but not as much i cry in like every episode for the anime1ed!
5.) I love the way he never shows affection for people that much, even tho he feels it. I bet if winry was his girlfriend and they already aditted their love for eachother he would show affection, but now i like how he just tries to avoid it.
6.) I like how he is also concerned with the fate of THE ENTIRE WORLD along with al. even tho its really touching that he cares so much for al, it makes him far less selfish to also care about the homunculi.
7.) I LOVE the fact that he stays a shorty!^^ by the end of the movie he's only 5'1'' AWWW! ad winry is taller than him, unlike the manga, when he grows to be normal sized. this makes sense cuz he doen't drink milk, and not ALL guys will end up taller then girls. I mean if ed's short, what is winry a midget?? sides, i like that he's a shorty. so cute n cuddly! n_n

but I also like some stuff about manga ed better.
1.) he's more funny. tho its harder to take him seriously in serious parts, it's till entertaining. xD
2.) he doesn't abandon Winry for four years, and is over all nicer to her.
3.) ...that's all I got. xD
Fullmetal666
Anime 1 Ed gets my vote. He feels like a real person in the way he acts, thinks, and feels.

Manga, Ed is more of a silly character at times.
Broken Chouchou
I like both Eds. I view them as different characters.

When I first found out that there was a manga behind the anime, with a differing storyline, that made me feel a bit torn. While I was completely immersed in the anime’s world and characters, I couldn’t really imagine there being another Edward, and another story. Like, who then was the “real” Ed? Were one of them less real? I felt that the Ed I knew was real, and the discovery that there was in fact another one had me a bit unsure on how to approach it. Initially, when I started reading the manga, while still watching the first series, I had trouble separating the two works (and worlds) from eachother, to view them as different beasts. It was hard to accept that there were two Eds, going off into different directions, when I felt so invested in the animeverse. I'm not sure how to explain it, but that's how I felt. When you feel so grounded in one reality, it can be hard to accept that there are others, sort of. I might add that I was 14 - 15 when I started watching FMA, and I was completely new to the world of manga and anime, I don’t think I was aware that a lot of animes are actually based off on mangas.

To try and explain how I felt about it, I'll make a comparison: The Lord of The Rings films used to be my absolute favourite movies at one point (I still really like them). I thought they were amazing. I used to pick a day on a holiday now and then, like once a year, when I felt the urge to, and have a marathon, where I would watch all three movies in a row (that's almost 12 hours in front of the TV!). I became deeply immersed in the movies every time I did this. I became very emotionally invested in and attached to the characters, the universe and the story. And I remember that at one certain time when I had watched the movies like this, I felt especially strongly about everything, and watching the sad and melancholic ending left me feeling depressed. I truly felt like I had been on the long adventure together with Frodo and all the others, I had followed them in their lives; I had cried when they cried, laughed when they laughed, felt scared or brave when they had, etc. I had truly journeyed with them. And now it was all over. Frodo had parted at the harbour and would never see his friends again. Even if I knew that physically could of course just rewind and watch the films again, I felt like I wouldn't get to experience the same joy of being on a new adventure that I had before, because in my heart, it was over. It felt like that particular sitting was the REAL one, the only one that mattered.

This sounds silly, but it's how I felt at the time (I was a weird and pathetic child (actually this was only a few years ago XD)).

Now, I didn't feel THIS strong for FMA, this was simply to demonstrate how obsessive and OCD-ish I can be, a trait that I
still accompanies me XD But nonetheless it was a show that provoked emotions in me, that had me sad and happy in turns, and I had become very attached to the world and the characters in it.

So letting one Ed - one reality - go in order to embrace another was a bit hard for me. When I started reading the manga, I tried to see both Eds as the same character. I tried to fit them both into the same universe. They do share common traits, so initially this worked, especially since I found that the content of the first volume of the manga was nearly identical to the same happenings in the anime. But then the story started branching off in a different direction, and whether I wanted to or nor I had to accept that the mangaverse and animeverse were two different things altogether.

Which once I had (I guess I just woke up one day and wasn’t bugged by which Ed was more "real" or not to me anymore, because I had finally realised that they were two different characters in two different stories), it was a lot easier to view them as their own creations, in their own respects, and enjoying them thereafter. Today I’ve come to appreciate the differences between the manga and the anime, and I don’t hate the first anime just because “it isn’t the manga”, or “the manga is better”.

I suppose I see anime-Ed - like a previous poster said - as an alternate take on Arakawa’s character. I can see why people might dislike him, but I think many of those opinions stem from being manga biasd, and still, in some way, comparing the works to each other. This is of course fully natural, and inevitable, since the anime is de facto an adaption of an original creation. But personally, I think have gotten past that stage, and I enjoy the original Fullmetal Alchemist animated series for what it is.
Of course you can dislike Ed - or the anime - for other reasons as well; there are several things about the first anime that I myself didn’t feel particularly fond of, even before having gotten very far with the manga and realising all the differences XP But that’s just a matter of taste.

I can say though, that regarding almost everything that was different from the anime as I was reading the manga, I found myself pleasantly surprised, because it was very, very good. And, yes, in many instances better than the anime. And, I think this goes for Ed as well. He feels like a better constructed and more composed character, and he actually develops and matures noticeably as a person during the course of the story. So I like manga-Ed better, and I like the manga better than the anime.

But that in no way means that I don't like the anime too.

Woot, this was a long, pointless, largely off-topic, and probably incoherent post O_o Sorry.
xHearter
aw but manga ed is more of a joke!
like in many animes they have main character who's like a typical high school cool guy and then they have a best friend whose weird and funny and random and kind of a jerk sometimes.
well anime1 ed takes more of the main character and manga ed takes more of the best friend, which is why making him a main character just doesn't work.
they have to change his personality when he fights in battles which is just like, "OMG ED IS SERIOUS!!??? GET THE CAMERA! ohmy.gif"

and its not just ed thats not as good its the whole manga.
al is kinda heartless, I miss the kind little, "vengeance is wrong!" "Stop brother!" al that he was in the anime. But the thing is, Al isn't as nice to ed in the manga cuz ed is an IDIOT!
but still, it's just not al. really!

Roy is meaner, Winry is to aggressive, and the whole plot just not as good.

I like a lot of the new characters tho, ling is hilarious, and I love Mei Chang. Olivia Armstrong is cool too.

but y didn't they just make ed act better???
>.<
the whole thing is ruined!!!!!
meh!!!!

I still like the manga, and I still read it.
I just cant stand brotherhood, the animation and drawing sux and the dub is terrible.

AXavierB
Wait, how is Roy meaner? He seemed much more cruel and arrogant in the first anime if you ask me.
xHearter
not really meaner...just like less caring and more judgmental. I think he was nice in the first anime, tho he did kinda seem cruel at times. But he was really just trying to help ed and stuff it just seemed cruel.
Yikie
Defenitely Manga!Ed (and not only because I think the manga is more superior overall).

I agree that Manga!Ed might seem more arrogant than his first anime counterpart and I also agree that, maybe, if I knew them both in real life I'd like anime1!Ed more and find him easier to 'hang out' with.

But when reading a manga/watching an anime you see so much more from a character than you would from a person you know in real life. And based on the many different aspects I've seen from both Eds (how they handle/react on certain situations etc...) I can easily say Manga!Ed is my favourite out of the two. Some of you might disagree with me on this but Manga!Ed just strikes me as more 'real', with his cocky attitude he really acts like a teenage boy with the same emotional depht as anime1!Ed (even though he doesn't show it as often).

Anyone remember when Alphonse thought he was artificially created? It happened in both the manga and first anime series, but they handled it so differently, both EDWARDS handled it so differently. When I saw that rooftop scene in the manga where the brothers sparred and talked, I had no doubt anymore that manga!Ed is my favourite, how he handled the whole situation without much talking and whining was so simple, unpolished, heartwarming and real at the same time. It's something I've never experienced with anime1!Ed during the first anime series.
xHearter
^ I like how he handled it in the anime1. lol he's so reckless, when Al jumped off the roof he was about to jump after him xD
but when they started fighting, it just proves more that he's no as nice.
besides, he was weak and in the hospital.

I like how even though Al punched him hard enough to make his lip bleed, Ed still just felt bad for him. After all, he still blames himself for Al being in the suit, it just makes sense. He was more sad then mad, it just made him much more of a better nice person. I find that more heart warming and nice, especially when Ed comes and saves him, like, "YOU LEAVE HIM ALONE!" and then Al accidentally still calls him brother, even though he doesn't even consider Ed his brother any more.

Yikie
@xHearter: I wouldn't call it 'fighting', they've always trained like that... I don't know how to say it, but I see it as a playful form of communication between the two brothers x3. And Ed wasn't mad then, he was sad and felt guilty, he just chose a very non-verbal and boyish way to express his feelings. I think I'm just more touched by this simple brotherly manga scene with raw emotions instead of the anime one where BONES just tries too hard for us to care and go: 'Awww...' (no wonder the first anime spawned so many Elricest fangirls).

Oh, and another thing: I don't like how Ed 'sacrificed' himself to bring back Al at the end of the first anime.
One would argue that it was a noble thing for him to do bla... he cares so much for Alphonse bla... I just didn't buy it (I even rolled my eyes).

You see, I think Manga!Ed is even more considerate of Al's feelings because he didn't sacrifice himself.

As our beloved Roy Mustang so wisely explained: "No [Fullmetal won't sacrifice himself]. Because he knows the fear and despair of being left alone."

That being said, now I think about it, I like almost everyone better in the manga. Especially Winry: I didn't really care about her in the first anime and thought she was ridiculously overreacting over the fact Edward cheated on the automail arm wrestling contest. But I LOVE her in the manga (she is defenitely one of my top 5 favourite FMA characters... I actually like her more than Roy ;D).

And Alphonse, you said you find Al 'kinda heartless' in the manga, I say he has more personality. I mean, he's a nice guy, but he ain't no saint (and no need to be).

And the plot of the manga is far better and more epic than its first anime counterpart (the number of plotholes the latter contains makes me feel sad).
Misty- Nala
QUOTE (Yikie @ Jul 4 2010, 08:47 PM) *
@xHearter: I wouldn't call it 'fighting', they've always trained like that... I don't know how to say it, but I see it as a playful form of communication between the two brothers x3. And Ed wasn't mad then, he was sad and felt guilty, he just chose a very non-verbal and boyish way to express his feelings. I think I'm just more touched by this simple brotherly manga scene with raw emotions instead of the anime one where BONES just tries too hard for us to care and go: 'Awww...' (no wonder the first anime spawned so many Elricest fangirls).

The bond between Ed and Al is no doubt different in Anime and Manga. I like to think that it is because of the different things they had to go through like Nina's death and Barry the Chopper. Now, I know some are going to argue that Nina's death was in manga, it was more powerful there and Barry was unnecessary episode but Anime 1 is another take. It is with the same characters but with different plot. The primar setting is about the same in both but the things Ed and Al went through are compeltely different. In Anime 1, Nina was closer to them, they knew her for months and got close with Tucker also. In Manga, they knew Nina for a day. There's no point to argue in which one the effect was more powerful.
Anyway, I think that in Manga the brothers are more equal. They rush more into things, they are more active and so on. In manga, battle in the balcony was good, considering their characteristics. Yet, in the Anime the point is more in the emotional context. Elric's are more to express their emotions in words. Yes, I know they do that in Manga too but it's more distinguishable in the Anime. So, because the Elrics are different kind of characters in the Anime, another way to end the scene was needed. It wouldn't have fitted the atmosphere of the Anime 1 to have the brothers fighting. That's more of a manga thing.

Besides, I don't think Anime made the emotions too clear. Truth to be told, I find that the characters feelings are expressed the same way in both Anime and Manga. I really don't believe Elricest was caused by Anime only, Manga was there first and there are brotherly moments there also, or have I misread it. If you look very closely, you can find proof for any pairing possible.
Anime 1 isn't a bad thing, a virus that destroyed the spirit of Fma; It's a different take. It had Arakawa's appreaciation and she accepted and herself wanted the anime to be different. Honestly, I've never understood why a Manga ought to be turned into anime by following the source page by page. It may have worked with Harry Potter, but not Fma. Edward is a complex character and Anime 1 brought the emotional side of him more relevant than the cocky, rebellious kid soul that the manga shows more often.
Trakonda
I prefer the manga!Ed, mostly because of the same reasons as people have posted here before me.

But Broken Chouchou makes a good point there, with the first anime and manga being different stories and different worlds from each other. In that sense, I can appreciate both versions, but.. The problem is that I started watching the first anime and reading the manga at the same time. So I soon noticed when the anime started branching off to another direction. Eds and other characters became different from each other, and somehow I always ended up loving the manga!Ed more.
The first anime didn't really leave much impact on me in the end, because it just didn't feel the same character I followed in the beginning anymore. (this because in the beginning both eds were nearly identical, so I assume the anime!Ed had somewhat same personality with manga!Ed in the first 10-20 episodes or so. After which it started changing while the manga version stayed pretty much the same <- grew more attached to this version. It's hard to explain, really)

Plus I didn't really like the cothing style Ed started using on the last episodes. Open cloak and tight pants were a bit too.. bad-arse or something, considering he had nearly reached his adulthood. His taste became more mature in the manga and it felt more man-like. Plus he grew up to be more handsome in the manga in his body features too, while in anime he kept his round face-features and.. well, dunno. I just didn't like it. XD

Again, just my opinion. smile.gif People have different tastes. There's nothing really "hateable" on the first-anime Ed (in fact I loved his more-emotional outbursts at times), but when putting next to the manga version he just didn't turn out as good to me.
xHearter
QUOTE (Yikie @ Jul 4 2010, 11:47 AM) *

Oh, and another thing: I don't like how Ed 'sacrificed' himself to bring back Al at the end of the first anime.
One would argue that it was a noble thing for him to do bla... he cares so much for Alphonse bla... I just didn't buy it (I even rolled my eyes).

You see, I think Manga!Ed is even more considerate of Al's feelings because he didn't sacrifice himself.

As our beloved Roy Mustang so wisely explained: "No [Fullmetal won't sacrifice himself]. Because he knows the fear and despair of being left alone."

That being said, now I think about it, I like almost everyone better in the manga. Especially Winry: I didn't really care about her in the first anime and thought she was ridiculously overreacting over the fact Edward cheated on the automail arm wrestling contest. But I LOVE her in the manga (she is defenitely one of my top 5 favourite FMA characters... I actually like her more than Roy ;D).

And Alphonse, you said you find Al 'kinda heartless' in the manga, I say he has more personality. I mean, he's a nice guy, but he ain't no saint (and no need to be).

And the plot of the manga is far better and more epic than its first anime counterpart (the number of plotholes the latter contains makes me feel sad).

I know it's not really fighting, but Ed wouldn't be so careless, I think he cares more for Al's feelings in the anime.
He just doesn't think sometimes, that's why he sacrificed himself, even though al would be alone. He was just desperate to keep him alive
and i like the way he didn't start a "spar" or "playful fight" on the roof, cuz it wasn't a playful moment, Alphonse thought he was fake, and Ed still blamed himself for putting Al in the suit in the first place and still questioned if Al would forgive him him or not.
I don't think Bones tried to hard, I think they tried to little in the manga.
and the thing with roy, I bet Ed would think that at first, but honestly, he's kinda a hypocrite. xD
and this is because he's not good at putting himself in positions, he wouldn't plan on sacrificing himself cuz of what al said after they delt with scar, but sense al sacrfificed himself for Ed, he just had to. It's just the way he is, he can't take Al's life for his own and live like that, he's to selfless.

and I like winry half and half, she's to agressive in the manga, and over reacting in the anime.
I kinda hated her that episode, she said if ed didn't win she would kill him, and then he did win, by cheating, to make her happy and to get back at the guys who were cheating, and winry STILL hurt him. -.-'
Tombow
@Yikie (and Claudius's reply post) - I temporarily set aside your post for "wait for moderator review" because it's containing chapter 108, FMA manga chapter content, and not even covered with the spoiler tags! >.< (Please remember that there are still tons of FMA fans out there who haven't read the final chapter of FMA manga!) Please wait for Moderator to check these posts. Meantime, please read this special reminder regarding FMA manga final chapter content. Thank you! smile.gif

ETA:

@Yikie - Once again, your post below includes MAJOR direct contents Spoiler from episode 64/chapter 108. And therefore I put the post below in the same "wait for mod review" mode. Please please remember that there are other FMA fans who had not had a chance to watch/read the series final. Therefore, currently, we are asking members to discuss any series final contents ONLY on DESIGNATED threads. smile.gif
Also, I think it might be good to remember that when it comes to FMA fandom, we don't always have to "prove the other one wrong" when others' views, or their manga/anime FMA character preferences, etc. are not the same with yours. XD Everyone has his/her own preference and views and opinions on various aspects of FMA, and they are very much entitled to those, just like you have your own preference and views and opinions, and we can still all be FMA fans. smile.gif
Full Metal SHORTY!!!
I've just read most of the manga.

The manga Ed is actually not that bad! They both appeal to me in the same way now, which makes me happy! smile.gif

Still, anime Ed looks better smile.gif
xMinty
yes anime ed is so hot <333 x_x
manga ed is EW, or atleast brotherhood ed is..
xHearter
^I haven't finished the wholemanga series either, or brotherhood, but so far manga ed is still awesome, so is the managa. It's impossible for Ed or anything made by the people who made FMA NOT to be awesome! ^^
depending on looks AND personality tho, I say anime1 ed is WAY better, not that manga ed is stupid just no one can compare to anime1 ed's awesomeness! ohmy.gif
except anime1 roy, tho he's still not as awesome. lol.
hoprabbit
I feel the need to change my opinion, after rereading the series.

.....I don't see a difference anymore. They're both Ed, with the name, the powers, and the sparkly gold eyes. Though, the anime(anime1) did portray him as more of a I-don't-care-if-I-kill-people than the manga and Brotherhood did, which is important to Ed fans....

But to me, he's just (one of) the main character(s) I could really do without, so he looks the same to me all the time. XD Just my opinion.
....That didn't hurt anyone's feelings, did it? =<
rosieechan
I've already posted here before, but I feel the need to elaborate after re-reading the manga.

I fell in love with Ed in the manga. Not by his looks (blondes don't attract me), but by his personality. anime!Ed was kind of...static to me. manga!Ed had better character development, had a more attractive personality, and I love, LOVE how he was so optimistic and motivated. Part of it has to do with Al being more badass in the manga (god, I just LOVE Al in the manga so much! <3 "don't compare me with my brother!" XD) and telling his brother to live on instead of brooding over the past or giving up. :'D

What I like most about manga!Ed is that he would NEVER sacrifice himself for Al. Gosh, I LOVED that part when Al reunites with Ed after the Gluttony incident ("i'm so happy you're alive! brother! brother!" *squishes Ed*) and Ed thinks "I can understand...the fear and despair of losing everyone around you." He would never let Al go through that kind of pain, because Ed had experienced it beforehand when he lost Al. So sweet. <3

I love manga!Ed as a character. ^.^

Plus, he actually grows (taller than Winry)! Have you seen those muscles?!

QUOTE (xMinty @ Jul 19 2010, 07:38 PM) *
yes anime ed is so hot <333 x_x
manga ed is EW, or atleast brotherhood ed is..

No way. XD All Eds are hot.
Manga/Brotherhood!Ed just has a more attractive body, that's all. Because he grows! ;D
Plus, he is way *adorable* in the manga, especially his comical moments. :3 I wanna hug him!
xMinty
I HATE the fact that he gets tall though!!!
That's his trade mark thing- him being short! and they ruin that in the mabga/brotherhood.
manga ed is hot though, ur right. but brotherhood ed isn't. @@
since the brotherhood drawings really aren't good in my opinion.

anime ed is SO HOT AND ADORABLE THOUGH!!
wayyy more so than manga ed ^^

ETA: Aug. 8, 2010
I love ed's baby face in the first anime <333333333
rosieechan
QUOTE (xMinty @ Jul 26 2010, 11:31 PM) *
I HATE the fact that he gets tall though!!!
That's his trade mark thing- him being short! and they ruin that in the mabga/brotherhood.
manga ed is hot though, ur right. but brotherhood ed isn't. @@
since the brotherhood drawings really aren't good in my opinion.

anime ed is SO HOT AND ADORABLE THOUGH!!
wayyy more so than manga ed ^^

Oh yeah, I understand, my friend had the same problem with brotherhood!Ed.

I like the fact that he gets taller--it shows character growth and development. He can't stay short forever. And also, the manga/brotherhood explains why he is shorter than average (it has to do with Al's body), so it's partially not his fault. In the end, it's only understandable that he gets taller. He only gets taller near the ending, so his being short trademark is shown throughout the manga. :3

Well, I guess we'll always have different opinions. XD I will prefer manga!Ed to others any day. ^^
LooneyLolita
Manga!Ed beats both Anime!Ed and Brotherhood!Ed SOOOO HARD.
I love the fact that Ed gets taller at the end. He's more sexy that way. And it makes sense way he gets taller!

Anime!Ed is pretty much a jerk must of the time. And more selfish.

Ed grows alot in Brotherhood and the manga. Just that is more likeble for me smile.gif
goodbye
Manga!Ed, because heīs so determined. And I think that determination is what helps him to get over his traumatic experiences and gives the power to keep on living, even when future just brings more difficulties to his way. If Ed were a weakling, he probably would have just given up and succumbed to an never-ending self pitying. So, wimpyness is definitely not a feature of his. Manga!Ed has his weaknesses, but he is strong mentally and physically and just never gives up. Thatīs the determination for you. He also really grows up and learns to make most of the right decisions during his journeys.

Anime!Ed is.. well, he isnīt a craven either, but he doesnīt give the same sensation of power and strong will, either. At least when comparing the Eds in the ends of both versions, I think Manga!Ed is matured more and is emotionally stronger than his anime counterpart. Anime!Ed is a little bland compared to him. And yeah, Manga!Ed is so much hotter too :------) In the Anime1, he just looked too childish when he was 15-16 years old. I mean, yes, he is short, but he still shouldnīt have a babyface.

So my answer is Manga!Ed, because he has more colour and strong emotion (other emotions than constant angsting, too :------D).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.