Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thread for Royai Fans who had finished reading/watching FMA Manga/FMA:Brotherhood
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > FMA Character Discussions > Spoiler Zone
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Tombow
This thread is for Royai fans who had watched/read FMA:Brotherhood anime or FMA manga to disucss about Royai relationship upon the conclusion of FMA:Brotherhood/manga series final.

*On this thread, you can discuss series final content, or post the link to fanfics, etc. that contain series final spoiler content without adding <Series Final Spoiler Content Warning> sign on such post. However, if you'd like to post images that contain series final spoiler, please DO NOT POST AS IMAGES and instead post as links. Thank you! smile.gif

Note:
If you'd like to discuss Royai relationship in regard to Hiromu Arakawa's comment on FMA Artbook III, this is WRONG THREAD!! Please do NOT make your cooment regarding the Arakawa-comment here.
Please discuss that on Thread for Royai fans who read Arakawa comment in FMA manga artbook III thread.
smile.gif

Warning:
ANYONE who had not seen FMA manga chapter 108 / FMA:Brotherhood anime eps 63-64, and do not wish to be spoiled of the contents from these series final chapter/episodes, please do not go any further on this thread!!

Discussion will start on page 2 of this thread, and will be full of FMA manga chapter 108 / FMA:Brotherhood anime eps 63-64 spoilers, and possibly contain spoilers from any FMA series.
Tombow
"Accidental-spoiler prevention" post
Tombow
Tombow
Tombow
Tombow
Tombow
Tombow
Tombow
Tombow
Tombow
Tombow
Tombow
Tombow
Tombow
Tombow
Tombow
The actual discussions start below. smile.gif

Now that you have read FMA manga chapter 108, the final chapter, please post your reflections/thoughts/opinions on the Royai pairing in the FMA manga on this thread. This of course can include your opinions and thoughts on Roy and Riza scenes in the chapter 108, what is there, and/or what is not included in the concluding chapter, etc.....

However, we also hope to see your thoughts and opinions on the Royai relationship as a whole in the series, what it means in your opinion, and your opinions of the relationship now that you know how it stands at the end of the series, etc.

Note: This thread is created for specifically for Royai fans to post Roayai related discussions upon the conclusion of FMA manga series. And therefore....
If you have comments on the ending of the series OTHER THAN Royai related content, please post that on FMA Manga Ending: Your Thoughts On How The Series Has Concluded thread.
Or, if you have GENERAL COMMENTS on the CONTENT of chapter 108, please post that on Chapter 108, The Final Chapter, Content Discussion Thread.
And, please AVOID any OFF-TOPIC comments and discussions on this thread.

Also please note that:
As with any and all of our FMA character discussion threads, please refrain from posting any dissing of other FMA pairings, or 'shippers of such pairings. If you happen to forget and make any such comments, please do not mind that the board staff may Delete/Edit such comments with or without any further notice. We hope to see this thread to be used for the meaningful discussions about this wonderful pairing in the series, and not the dissing and trashing of other pairings/shippers. biggrin.gif
angelofsarcasm89
I loved everything else about the ending, but I definitely wasn't satisfied by the lack of resolution for Roy and Riza. Yeah I'm glad that we see them together still, but compared to what Ed and Al got it's not much. I'd have been overjoyed with just a simple picture of them in civilian clothes with him offering her his arm or something.

Even the dog got more resolution at the end. dry.gif
FailToImpress
I think we should have had some more closure for Roy and Riza... but there must be a reason why Arakawa didn't include it. I think if we knew why, then it'd probably make a lot of sense and we wouldn't be so unsatisfied.

For me, I'm perfectly content seeing them together as commander and subordinate once again, because they're still progressing in their goals. I really don't think that they would even consider a romantic relationship just 2 years after everything happened, it doesn't fit in with their goals, or them as people. In a way, it's just starting for them. So, it doesn't surprise me to see them still working hard (this is about as much as I can gather from one small panel lol) after 2 years, 10 years yes, but not so soon. Plus, it's never been about Roy and Riza as a romantic couple, they've been on the same page for too long now for one big event to change things between them that drastically.

After everything that's happened, I think they both realise now than ever before that the country, Ishval, and their goals are the most important thing. That's what stands out for me.

At least they're back together in military sense, he has his Queen back. wink.gif
black~hayate
Okay. I can finally write this xD
First when I saw the raws I was REALLY dissapointed. I needed to learn for a test, but the whole "waiting for Raw" thing and the lack of Royai almost killed me that evening, so the test was forgotten quickly. I was really frustrated, since it seemed to be nothing special Royaish in the last chapter. I liked the Edwin. I liked everything else. But there wasn't the thing I expected to love about the chapter.
After reading the translations the day after I throught that it wasn't THAT bad. It was actually pretty cute. And there was some Royai. Roy saying, "Call my subordinates blabla" was great and Hawkeye worrying about him was pretty cute, too. And about Grumman, I know that Roy will be Fuhrer after him.

It's just that we expected some romance, like a kiss, one more hug and some fans even expected a proposal, while I bet, the Edwin guys didn't expect this to happen in their case.
So the truth is, I like Edwin, but my pairing is Royai. And I wasn't annoyed about the proposal in the final chapter. But I was annoyed of the lack of Royai interactions.

It was like "you saw enough in chapter 107. You don't need more Royai now." As if this is what Arakawa wanted to tell us.
I hope that we will get more in episode 64. I was pessimistic about it, but since it's an extra episode of the future, it must be something special. And it's not like they can leave out Roy and Riza out of it.
spectator
The last few pages remind me of the scan depicting Winry and Riza dashing for the bouquet. I think Winry won. mellow.gif

I personnally think that Arakawa sensei will not continue the story by giving a gaiden, omake, or a movie. If she will, I just hope there is nothing like the CoS.

And about Riza wearing a bra... Hmmm... You guys do know that female officers in the front line wear sports bra underneath right? That will be so awkward without one, consider that they are more susceptible to injury.

Overall, Royai's ending is inconclusive. They could have married or even have started a family, but there is no way to find out.

BTW, Black Hayate rules! XD
poopatroopa
I don't think a start of a "real romance" would be necessary. Just something that acknowledged that their relationship actually moved somewhere from the start of the series. The two were given a lot of time/development over the series (the fight with lust, the explanation of their past, two scenes of the final battle) as well as little hints/tidbits like "the call" scene which really wasn't necessary from a story point of view. Giving them no fruit at the end just seems cheap and a waste given all that happened.
crazyanimefan
I'm glad I didn't spoil myself because I thought the level of Royai was perfect. Somehow, I didn't feel like there was a need for there to be any Royai in 108. I noticed that there wasn't any "closure" for Royai, but I am perfectly content with what Arakawa gave us. For me, I feel that while we as readers get more and more glimpses into their life, Roy and Riza's relationship hasn't really changed at all. They've been on the same page for forever, and they're going to continue that way for forever. I think that all the drama with the Gate and his blindness was more than enough to satisfy my shipping heart. They didn't even need to interact because what Roy said about following him again and what I knew Riza would do coincided perfectly. They will continue to be a loyal, supportive pair, and even though Arakawa does not blatantly state any romance, there is enough there for me to infer a romantic relationship between the two and I am perfectly fine with that.

Did I think they would get married or kiss? No, because that's not like what I imagined them to be like. They are still two professionals working on their goals. When I started in FMA, I would've done anything to have them kiss, but I found that what portrayed their feelings more than a kiss was their subtle actions and their carefully thought out words. The idea of Riza helping Roy on his dream, the idea of Roy taking care of his subordinates just seems to scream Royai more than a canon kiss ever would. With that single picture at the end, that is what Arakawa got across to me, so I am happy.

Hopefully not off topic, I did not actually find anything odd with the fact that there was more EdWin than Royai. Honestly, I thought it was quite fitting. FMA has always been the story of Ed and Al, of the brothers, their actions, and how it affects the people around them. I believe that they are the ones that truly needed the closure. As I previously stated, I believe that Roy and Riza have developed more in their relationship than Edward and Winry, being "on the same page" with one another. This may be due to age, the Ishballan War, and other factors. Ed and Winry have always had this tension, and while Winry's feelings were outright stated many chapters ago, they needed a kind of resolution to finally bring everything together, something that I dont think Royai ever needed. (And yes, I am an EdWin shipper, if that has relevance.)

This was my attempt to organize all my thoughts on Royai (and EdWin, since I have a feeling that may get brought up, but this may be up for edits), so I hope this makes sense. Not trying to offend others who thought differently, just writing out my own opinions. Overall, very happy with the conclusion of FMA. Twas epic.
Kaori Ayanami
QUOTE (crazyanimefan @ Jun 12 2010, 06:32 PM) *
Ed and Winry have always had this tension, and while Winry's feelings were outright stated many chapters ago, they needed a kind of resolution to finally bring everything together, something that I dont think Royai ever needed.

Indeed. Roy and Riza are way more mature than Ed and Winry (which doesn't mean they're not dry.gif). To say they needed to "move" their relationship to a "higher" level or something like that is to underestimate them (no offense intended... really).

I have a theory! (Finally, Royai spoilers allowed! And no spoiler tags! ^^)
Remember Black Hayate and his pups? I think that, no matter how incredibly good is Riza as a dog owner, she just can't keep them. She may give them to others, but the very fact that there is a photo of them with their parent(s) (damn, even the fact that she didn't avoid Hayate's pups!) means they're kind of accepted. Sooo, given that neither she nor her old teammates are as free as they used to be, I suppose she'll need some kind of alliance. *wink wink* *hint hint*

What do you think about it? After all, the pups' photo seems kind of random, and Arakawa is everything BUT that...
Hagaren_4ever
Even just one page of some sort of closure would have satisfied me. Personally, I think we all know that they care deeply for each other, and I don't think a relationship is that far off, but a little reassurance would be nice. Maybe it'll say something in a guidbook, or gaiden... hell, maybe even Brotherhood will add something. (We all know Bones ships Royai!) I just am a little upset that Arakawa didn't give us anything there. Maybe she thought the whole chapter would have to much of a sappy, romancy feel to it if she included even one more couple. Who knows?
And seriously, people. No need to be upset about Edwin! It was like... *checks calculator* 4.5% of the whole chapter! But I guess with that little bit they were given quite a bit of closure. I would be happy if Royai got even 1% at this point. ;_;

Will Riza become a crazy dog lady?
angelofsarcasm89
QUOTE (FailToImpress @ Jun 12 2010, 04:18 PM) *
I really don't think that they would even consider a romantic relationship just 2 years after everything happened, it doesn't fit in with their goals, or them as people.

The thing is though, it doesn't have to be two years. The picture of Ed and Al and May and Winry with the kids obviously had to have been taken several years later.

The two of them staying together in the military didn't need any confirmation. I don't think anyone expected them to just drop it and go do whatever. I would have just liked to see them outside of work. Like I said, a picture of them with each other wearing civilian clothes would have been more than enough.
spectator
Have you guys realized that FMA games ship more tinny tiny royai moment? Some of those are quite random which I dislike. And, it's sort of non-canon if Royai is depicted in the games rather than the main stream manga.
FailToImpress
QUOTE (angelofsarcasm89 @ Jun 13 2010, 03:47 AM) *
The thing is though, it doesn't have to be two years. The picture of Ed and Al and May and Winry with the kids obviously had to have been taken several years later.

I suppose, I think I'm just getting confused with the end of the chapter and the very last page. smile.gif

I'd just love for Arakawa to let us know why she didn't include more for them, because like I say I'm sure her reasons would make sense. In all honesty I wouldn't have liked to see them married or with kids, since all it really does is satisfy our fandom. It's a bit like Scar's name, we could have found out his name at the end, but we didn't and it doesn't really make any difference whether we do or not.

It's a lot different to Ed and Winry since they had progressed through the whole series whereas Roy and Riza already had something established. It may not be perfect, but they had a relationship of some sort. I don't imagine it's easy to break free from that either. I suppose you could say that Roy and Riza did spark up a deeper relationship afterwards, and that's totally plausible, but the reason why we don't see it is that it isn't at the forefront of their minds, so it shouldn't be so important to us as readers, either. Their goals have always been put first and that isn't about to change.

That said, I do think that the very last page lends itself beautifully to animation. I think we'll definitely get some scenes out of that. First I'd like to see a bit more Royai, second on the list is Ed and Winry with the kids T_T
edward435
QUOTE (FailToImpress @ Jun 12 2010, 04:18 PM) *
I think we should have had some more closure for Roy and Riza... but there must be a reason why Arakawa didn't include it. I think if we knew why, then it'd probably make a lot of sense and we wouldn't be so unsatisfied.

For me, I'm perfectly content seeing them together as commander and subordinate once again, because they're still progressing in their goals. I really don't think that they would even consider a romantic relationship just 2 years after everything happened, it doesn't fit in with their goals, or them as people. In a way, it's just starting for them. So, it doesn't surprise me to see them still working hard (this is about as much as I can gather from one small panel lol) after 2 years, 10 years yes, but not so soon. Plus, it's never been about Roy and Riza as a romantic couple, they've been on the same page for too long now for one big event to change things between them that drastically.

After everything that's happened, I think they both realise now than ever before that the country, Ishval, and their goals are the most important thing. That's what stands out for me.

At least they're back together in military sense, he has his Queen back. wink.gif

@FailToImpress - i agree with everything you said.
spectator
Guys, I finally understand Arakawa sensei's motive to lack of royai closure.

Unfortunately, Roy and Riza will not consider marriage or starting a family. It's very unlikely, at least not until the world gains peace (Come on! The world will never be at peace).

You see, the living hell in Ishaval changes them. They do not live for themselves anymore, but for the humanity. You can say that they have 'died' in Ishaval once and for the second time in overthrowing Bradley, like Scar. I think working together is the only acknowledgement of their relationship. Sad...

black~hayate
QUOTE (spectator @ Jun 13 2010, 04:16 PM) *
Guys, I finally understand Arakawa sensei's motive to lack of royai closure.

Unfortunately, Roy and Riza will not consider marriage or starting a family. It's very unlikely, at least not until the world gains peace (Come on! The world will never be at peace).

You see, the living hell in Ishaval changes them. They do not live for themselves anymore, but for the humanity. You can say that they have 'died' in Ishaval once and for the second time in overthrowing Bradley, like Scar. I think working together is the only acknowledgement of their relationship. Sad...

I disagree. That doesn't mean that you're wrong, I just don't share the same opinion.
There were many people who were affected by the war. But if everyone would think the way you described it, then there would be some millions less people on this earth.
Even people who get back from Afghanistan or like in the past, who were in the 2WW, couldn't forget, but they could forgive themselves (and other people) and settled down, started a family to show their children that this world and the humanity is a treasure what they should protect.
And besides, since the kids are no killers (but their parents), it makes them a good oppurnity to become heroes, knowing that war is bad and protecting people.
It actually is a way to make it up, if Roy and Riza would have had children, then they could start anew not with themselves, but with their children.

Still I think it would have been strange to see some RoyRiza offspring in the manga. Sure, it's possible, but I would have been pretty shocked biggrin.gif. Positively. Royai deadly overdose. Fans know what I'm talking about biggrin.gif.
There must be more to it (The Royai Lack). I think and I already said it, it's because we had a lot fanservice in chapter 107.

EDIT: Wasn't it chapter 107 where Riza put her hand on Roy's chest? Well, if that isn't fanservice... I squealed like crazy biggrin.gif
RizaXRoy
Yeah.I have same thoughts too, angelofsarcasm89. I love the ending and it is perfect for every character except Roy and Riza due to lack of interaction. I do not expect to have a HUGE Royai scene but just hope that there would be some interaction of Royai in one page at least or maybe even two panels only..it's enough for me too..like you said the example that they are in civillian clothes. I understood that we can have our own fantasy over the Royai ending but it would be more meaningful if Arakawa sensei portrays it. This would gain reassurance as well. happy.gif

I think anime1!RoyaiEnding is much better..XD. at least did show their little interaction.

I can imagine how happy are the Edwin fans. I hope I am one of them XD

@FailToImpress:You're right too!! happy.gif

@black~hayate: I can see that chap 107 is one of the reasons XD
spectator
@black~hayate: You have a point. Grr! Screw all those reasons. I just want them to have a family. Even black hayate knows how to enjoy life, for crying out loud. laugh.gif
dec4rhapsody
My first post here and I'd like to put my 2 cents in it.
I pretty much agree about most of what is being said here, of Roy and Hawkeye being "on the same page" since the beginning of the manga.
It's hard to explain, but I've got the feeling that the so-called "Royai moments" were more about revealing the true nature of their relationship rather than progressing it, unlike those of EdWin and to some extent, AlMei.

I can't say that I was not disappointed for the lack of closure or interaction between them. In fact the "anything-but-Royai"-vibe of the ending still seems ironic to me. Even if it is made clear that the two of them are unlikely to establish a romantic relationship right now (not that they would actually need one and this is tricky), I'd prefer to have some acknowledgements/confirmation on it, instead of Roy merely telling Armstrong to give orders to his subordinates. I wanted to see something of them, about them, between them, since their relationship, whatever it is, has been built up as the most important one to both of them, and it feels awkward to leave it untouched in the grand finale.

This being said, if Arakawa-sensei deliberately left their relationship open for the ending, I'd just cross my fingers for her not delivering the fatal blow in any post-series materials, what so many writers enjoy to do.

PS: I must confess that I am too corrupted by fanfics and doujinshi after four years in the fandom and I have been a cursed shipper ever since my first OTP. Pairing spell anyone? Not even Royai can break it. ROFL.
crazyanimefan
After rereading it (again), I think the ending gives a refreshing open-endedness instead of a finality on the series in general, including Royai. It's like Arakawa knows that we'll be sad but reminds us that their lives, as well as ours, will continue on. Besides, it leaves much to fans who will be spewing out Royai weddings and babies anyways, including myself. XD
FailToImpress
QUOTE (crazyanimefan @ Jun 13 2010, 04:51 PM) *
After rereading it (again), I think the ending gives a refreshing open-endedness instead of a finality on the series in general, including Royai. It's like Arakawa knows that we'll be sad but reminds us that their lives, as well as ours, will continue on. Besides, it leaves much to fans who will be spewing out Royai weddings and babies anyways, including myself. XD

I think you're right about that.
If the ending showed Roy and Riza all settled together, that's a very 'final' thing, and I imagine many of us would be thinking so, er, what now?
black~hayate
And besides... why do you guys believe it's a bra that Riza's wearing? It reminds me of a short tank top.
Okay, it could be also a sports bra... it's just strange seeing it. I mean, they don't show Winry's bra either biggrin.gif They show her while changing, but nothing like that.
FailToImpress
^It does look like a sports bra, or at least a short tank top with added support. tongue.gif
RoyxRizaFan
I'm mystified by the ending of RoyAi. I'm caught between the "their lives are just beginning" part, and the "they missed the train too early on to have a normal life" ideas.

Let's start with the first - Roy and Riza had no interaction in the final chapter (let alone any real scenes apart, considering Roy is one of the main characters), but what we've seen before this chapter should be enough to ensure that they're canon. I mean, I have no doubt that they love each other, honestly. They've stuck together all of their lives. They both broke down when they thought they'd lose the other. The way they reacted during the phone conversation. The hug scene, etc.

The thing that's nagging at me is that, in the final scene, they're in uniform with the most solemn, dejected of looks on their face. I know they're doing serious work, but the Rockbells smiled while they worked in Ishbal. Why can't they? I think so much as a smile would have changed how we all looked at this.

Because, their solemn looks and the fact that pretty much everyone mistook it for an old picture until they realized the others were new, and that everyone else's pictures seemed to take place after a long time period (shown by Edwin babies) made it seem as if they had missed a train earlier in life - as if becoming part of the Ishbalan war meant never truly being together, or being happy. That's how a lot of people have interpreted it, which is sad, and not true - Hughes was in the same war, and even Knox was, and they both overcame what they had gone through. And I'm pretty damn sure Roy and Riza have, in so many ways by making the most of their lives. So, why the solemn expressions?

Despite this, I have no doubt they love each other. I never have - I mean, now and then, when they hadn't been together in months, I'd begin to doubt myself, but then I'd remind myself of all the things they've been through, and I'd realize I didn't have too much to worry about. Especially after chapter 94-107, I was positive they were canon. And I still am. A little extra push from Arakawa couldn't have hurt, though.

...And that's my 520 cenz.
Kaori Ayanami
I thought Royai fans were the masters of reading between lines, getting subtle hints and all that stuff...
Guess I was wrong.

(By the way, one or two pages before I posted a plausible Royai theory).
crazyanimefan
@RoyxRizaFan: I actually viewed the photo as neither sad nor from the past. Odd. I simply thought that Riza cut her hair again, maybe as a symbol of new beginning or just for the heck of it, and that they were working on rebuilding Ishbal. Nothing about it seemed sad to me, just professional.
Whitewings
Hehe, finally feel compelled to post.
Simply in my opinion the ending was absolutely perfect. If Arakawa had done anything more I would have been utterly disappointed. The ending placed the two of them utterly in the environment that they were meant to be in. Throughout the manga you understand their relationship more and more. They're not the type of characters to even have to say "I like you". They just know it, that's how close they are with one another.
I think the picture at the end simply emphasizes their meaning to each other, they're gonna be together side by side. I've always been Royai, and the ending is more or less what would have been best for them.
Keynote: That last photo is showing them working, as mentioned before if you read between the lines *hint hint wink wink nudge nudge* they do have civilian lives. But the manga was never about their civilian lives, it would not make any sense to show it! So take from it what you will, but this is one of those moments where are reader can infer more from what was not shown, than what was shown.
RoyxRizaFan
And once again, I am left swinging back and forth on the fence, unsure of where I should stand! There are two very different opinions on the chapter - that it was a perfect ending for them, or that it wasn't enough - and the confusing part - the reason I can't pick one or another - is because neither of them is wrong!

Don't get me wrong- I agree with you guys 100% that they are doing what they should be. Standing beside one another, fixing what they have to before moving on. But I also can't help but agree with everyone who wishes there had been something more, at least one more scene with Roy. I'm not as drastic as to say, "this was a waste of character development" because I don't agree with that at all-I think that the steps they've taken since the Ishbalan War, and the way they've changed (and yet, remained the same in their beliefs and determination) as characters has been leading up to this one last step before their final goal since the very beginning.

But I am still a selfish reader who has been spoiled over the past few chapters and, although I am quite skilled at reading between the lines, the talent I've developed do to so while following this pairing hasn't been worked in about a year. I guess I'll have to go dig up those critical reading glasses we were all wearing before chapter 95 in order to 100% agree that this was the perfect end for them.

Loving the ending, but wishing there was more- I think that, despite the rest of my post, this may just be another sign that I simply don't want to let go...T_T I always will want more of Fullmetal Alchemist, and of Roy and Riza, regardless of how excellent what we've already been given is.
Miss MP
I did not expect marriage nor children . . . but I did not expect them to keep moving forward in such a grim manner. In my personal opinion, they went through hell and deserved a little more solace than what was presented. They will never leave one another alone and in my view, they were not the same dynamic as EdWin and thus, were not given the same closure. It's canon enough for me - I just wish it gave them something a little more than drudgery and grim faces.
KariGray

I feel like I'm stuck in a revolving door with 'Happiness' and 'Despair' on either side.

Honestly, if I just look at the characters, the I'm pretty satisfied with the ending, since y'know, they're together, they're alive, they're a side-couple that's built on subtlety so this makes sense and all that jazz.

But then...I think of Arakawa. Oh, Arakawa.

When I think of her, the lack of royai in the ending just nags at me because the writer/drawer of Fullmetal Alchemist is a human with opinions and intents and desires and reasons for her actions and I cannot...oh for the love of God I always forget words when I'm in a huff...I can't...what's the word..augh, it's gone. Point is, I can't link or justify or whatever that word I forgot is, the way she treated royai in 107 and the way she treated royai in 108. It just does not make sense to me for her to have the whole battle couple thing one minute and then 3 panels of Hawkeye supporting Roy in practically the same position (she could've at least had his arm around her shoulder) and just a 'Taisa wa...me ga...' on Hawkeye's side, and Roy telling Armstrong to tell his subordinates to follow him. I feel better with the photo since, in a way, it's Arakawa's admitance that the two are always joined at the hip, which I like, as at least she's admitting something with that.
BUT ANYWAY, if 108 were the epilogue instead of the finale, then, sure I'd be satisfied. And while I realise that royai didn't really have anything to clear up, or any loose ends to tie, since it's rather obvious on how they feel about each other, and while I realise that everyone else needs to have their stories told and while I realise that it's very hard fro Arakawa to have drawn/written 113 pages in two months, let alone any extras...while I realise this, I'm still feeling cheated because it's THE LAST CHAPTER. Last time we see our characters and all we get for mutual royai is a flippin pancake photo? dry.gif

I'd understand if Roy and Riza were side characters, but they've made so many appearances and had so many moments and were out and frying just mere pages ago, so I can't help but think they deserve more of an appearance and want to know why they didn't get it. A sequel, gaiden, side-story or even interview touching on it is unlikely and so I'm just torn between satisfaction at their end because it's pretty good and dissatisfaction because 'everything but royai' may well become a meme!!

@_@ I just want to know WHY, Arakawa, WHY, even if you just say you were too lazy to confirm it I'd be happy. Because Goddamn 108 is the end of all actual canon royai and I cannot accept my last dose of canon royai being a picture!!!!!!!!!!

*screams, tears hair, rants, weeps, goes into a dark corner*

mellow.gif

...But actually, *comes out of dark corner where the mushrooms slowly turn to daisy's and light shines

... huh.gif Come to think of it, now that I've said all that, I feel better. Also, when you look at it, maybe it's just a matter of attachment. For example, Ling and Ran Fan had lots of screen time too and though they were seen at the last manga chapter it was more 'clearing up loose ends' than any actually in-series confirmation like we got with RoyAi (see: "I have no intention fo living a comfortable life alone" and "I can't lose you"). I mean, we also see them together in a photo at the end, and I thought "Well, duh, of course Ling and Ran Fan will end up together, but what about royai?!" upon seeing that. However, when looking at it from a LingFan shipper's perspective, it's just as unsatisfying as RoyAi, as nothing is explicitly stated or confirmed- and if said LingFan looked at RoyAi they would be "Well, duh, of course Mustang and Hawkeye will end up together but what about lingfan!?!".

I realised this when I saw this sentence at Tv Tropes:

•Official Couple: As of Chapter 108, we've got four that count. Ed/Winry is confirmed, Al/Mei is pretty much confirmed, and Roy/Riza and Ling/Lan Fan are, as ever, very, very strongly-implied.

And while reading that, though slightly comforted, I was thinking 'maybe LingFan is strongly implied in the last chap but what about RoyAi...grr...', but then, when I looked at it from a LingFan perspective, saw the opposite was true for lingfan too and I realised....

ARAKAWA DOES NOT GIVE A DAMN ABOUT US SUBTLE-OTP SHIPPERS.

SINCE SHE KNOWS NOTHING NEEDS TO BE SAID, SHE DOES NOT BOTHER GETTING UP HER LAZY arse TO SAY IT.

In a way, that's how Arakawa has, infuriatingly, always done things. While I admit she's ship-teased us mercilessly with both LingFan and RoyAi, and hinted at AlMei, EdWin has always been her main concentration and OTP. (What else do you expect from someone influenced by Rumiko Takahashi?) So in a way, it's like she's saying "To hell with confirming those two, everyone knows there's something going on anyway, I WANT TO DRAW MY EDWIN PROPOSAL."

....And, now, I feel strangely at peace. Disgruntled with the manganka but at peace, because at least in the photo of Mustang and Hawkeye and even Ling and Ran Fan, she's sorta nonverbally admitting there's something going on there and they'll stay together permanently.

(Of course, a few days later I will likely stew in frustration again and come to this realization after ranting again -this is my third time going over this pattern and reassuring myself- since I am a very suspicious person and don't trust people as far as I can throw Mt Everest. However, these are the facts and my theory is sound and I believe it to be true. I feel better now.)

FailToImpress
QUOTE (RoyxRizaFan @ Jun 14 2010, 05:31 PM) *
Don't get me wrong- I agree with you guys 100% that they are doing what they should be. Standing beside one another, fixing what they have to before moving on. But I also can't help but agree with everyone who wishes there had been something more, at least one more scene with Roy. I'm not as drastic as to say, "this was a waste of character development" because I don't agree with that at all-I think that the steps they've taken since the Ishbalan War, and the way they've changed (and yet, remained the same in their beliefs and determination) as characters has been leading up to this one last step before their final goal since the very beginning.

I know what you mean, and I feel similarly.
To be honest I think we have been spoiled in the last few chapters up to 108, and maybe that's why there is very little in the end. It wouldn't have made sense from a storytelling point of view to show them side by side as civilians or whatever, because that's not the point of the story. Whatever Roy and Riza have together already, transcends the need to show them as a romantic couple.
black~hayate
QUOTE (KariGray @ Jun 15 2010, 12:55 PM) *
*screams, tears hair, rants, weeps, goes into a dark corner*

ARAKAWA DOES NOT GIVE A DAMN ABOUT US SUBTLE-OTP SHIPPERS.

SINCE SHE KNOWS NOTHING NEEDS TO BE SAID, SHE DOES NOT BOTHER GETTING UP HER LAZY arse TO SAY IT.

Shhh... I know how you feel. I know the pain that consumes you like Roy's flames~ the pain of Royai lack xD.
But come on. There must have been something. In FMA there's nothing without reason. It's not just for fun seeing Roy jealous of Barry. And the Elisabeth scene. And her crying over him. And tons of other moments we consider as Royai.
Maybe she did it on purpose. There is a whole Episode for future discussion ahead.
And maybe Arakawa would think that it would be great to see Royai fans dissapointed half dead, just to cheer them up with some awesome stuff in the end of the Anime.
dec4rhapsody
QUOTE (KariGray @ Jun 15 2010, 06:55 PM) *
I'd understand if Roy and Riza were side characters, but they've made so many appearances and had so many moments and were out and frying just mere pages ago, so I can't help but think they deserve more of an appearance and want to know why they didn't get it. A sequel, gaiden, side-story or even interview touching on it is unlikely and so I'm just torn between satisfaction at their end because it's pretty good and dissatisfaction because 'everything but royai' may well become a meme!!

I've been avoiding TvTropes like plague for fear that it will turn out as the second 2ch and now I am tempted to start a trope named that, ROFL.

Same here, the revolving door of satisfaction (lolwut) and despair.

I don't put too much hope on the anime, since I am always under the impression that Irie (the director) doesn't see their relationship as romantic.

*refers to a certain interview on Episode 19*

19話でホークアイが見せた感情の揺れは、恋愛というよりは、自分のすべてをぶつけらる存在への思いなのかと考えています
(I think that)the jolt of emotion Hawkeye displays in Episode 19, were more about the feelings towards someone who ???? than romantic love.

I feel ashamed that I don't understand the most important part of that passage (What is "自分のすべてをぶつけらる存在"? Someone who "hits" everything of you?)...so if someone can translate...thank you happy.gif

EDIT:
Some other interesting parts regarding future episodes

Episode 25
(on Hawkeye becoming hostage)
But if someone who has been always by your side is taken away from you, both of you will have more chance to think about each other. It is also possible that you can look at each other from other perspectives.

Caption
Both of them are "unskillful" at their feelings, they are possibly more of "late crops" than Ed and Winry.

AseLei Yuan
Well if you ask me its been canon ever since that hug of theirs!!!!!!!!!!
spectator
QUOTE (AseLei Yuan @ Jun 15 2010, 07:51 PM) *
Well if you ask me its been canon ever since that hug of theirs!!!!!!!!!!

that is so true!

But I want more dosage of Royai. Craving it for about 4-5 years now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.