Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Your Reflections/thoughts On The FMA Manga Series Being Concluded
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Manga > FMA Manga Spoiler Zone
Tombow
If you wish to add your comments/thoughts/reflections on the FMA manga series being concluded, this is the thread.
Please share your thoughts on FMA manga series being concluded, or "thank-you"s to the author, Hiromu Arakawa, what FMA managa meant in your life, reminiscing some of the memorable moment in your life that involved FMA managa, etc., etc., on this thread. happy.gif

<Reminder>:
If you post is mostly about your comments and thoughts for chapter 108 content, then please use Chapter 108, The Final Chapter, Content Discussion Thread.

If your post is mostly about your thoughts on the ending of FMA manga storyline/how the series has concluded, then please use FMA Manga Ending: Your Thoughts On How The Series Concluded thread.
shanryelric
well. still in denial and relapsing here and there. cannot concentrate much on the exam. if it's just me or everyone feel the same? ; A ; I just knew FMA for about 2 years ago and regretting the rest 7 years that passed by long ago.

FMA is, well, what I think is that FMA is the best Manga I ever read. I read a lot of manga, watching so many Anime. but there is just nothing can compare the awesome-ness of Fullmetal Alchemist, for me. the story line is awesome, the ending is also awesome. the characters (EDWARRD), the happy memories, sad and traumatic childhood stories, things like that.
I dont know why I've got heart ache and a weird tight feeling in my chest since then ; w ; I just dont want it to end just now. haa~. yes, I'm over reacting but I did cry a lot in the monday midnight.

a~nd now I don't know what to do every month, when I usually waiting for the raws or the scans to show up. and also the Brotherhood series every week. FMA is more like a life suplement for me, the only thing that can make me smile!

thanks a lot, Hiromu Arakawa-sensei! :') you brought so many happy memories in my life biggrin.gif
Hagaren_4ever
^ Yeah, for a lot of people this is an emotional thing in a way that many people wouldn't understand. For people that aren't really big fans of this series we probably seem like the biggest nerds on the planet, but I don't care. XD I've followed FMA for years now, I remember the day my sister showed me the first episode dub on our DVR, and at the end of the episode I said, "I don't know, it seems a little weird for me." Haha! That was about 4 years ago? I remember the first anime being in it's final stretches when I discovered the manga, and fell in love with it. I remember going through that newby "Ed is mine!" phase, where I hated Winry, but now she's one of my favorite characters. It was a great series, no doubt about it. And I am happy that I was able to be apart of it and share it with the kind people of these forums. It was fun. smile.gif

I notice a lot of people are upset about Ed and Winry getting so much screentime (Eeerrr, pagetime? xD) But in reality, it's not really THAT much. I mean they get like 5 pages out of... what are we expecting? 113? Yeah, not really something to make a big hubub out of. So I think we should all just chill until all the pages are out. *sigh* Some people just can't handle spoilers.
shanryelric
QUOTE (Hagaren_4ever @ Jun 9 2010, 05:28 PM) *
^ Yeah, for a lot of people this is an emotional thing in a way that many people wouldn't understand. For people that aren't really big fans of this series we probably seem like the biggest nerds on the planet, but I don't care. XD I've followed FMA for years now, I remember the day my sister showed me the first episode dub on our DVR, and at the end of the episode I said, "I don't know, it seems a little weird for me." Haha! That was about 4 years ago? I remember the first anime being in it's final stretches when I discovered the manga, and fell in love with it. I remember going through that newby "Ed is mine!" phase, where I hated Winry, but now she's one of my favorite characters. It was a great series, no doubt about it. And I am happy that I was able to be apart of it and share it with the kind people of these forums. It was fun. smile.gif

I notice a lot of people are upset about Ed and Winry getting so much screentime (Eeerrr, pagetime? xD) But in reality, it's not really THAT much. I mean they get like 5 pages out of... what are we expecting? 113? Yeah, not really something to make a big hubub out of. So I think we should all just chill until all the pages are out. *sigh* Some people just can't handle spoilers.

TRUE. I was baw ing in my school. being so quite that my friends asked me what happened? I said "FMA ENDS!! MY LIFE ENDS!!" and
their reaction was something like "WTF". =__=

I remember my first time liking it. when I read the 19th tankoubon!! bwahahaha. idiotic. i dun even understand the story but I love it anyway tongue.gif

bahahaha, yeah, but I dont mind. it's cute and something that I wanted for so long so I delighted by it biggrin.gif wawawa OwO
well I guess ROYAI will also get MORE pagetime. still 70 more pages left!! before the edwin there must be the royai (i think -__-'') let's just wait biggrin.gif
Tombow
"Accidental-spoiler prevention" post

I will add my thought in a while. ^^
tigerchic121
QUOTE (Hagaren_4ever @ Jun 9 2010, 05:28 AM) *

The same basic thing happened to me, except it was my brother/dad who showed the series to me, right towards the end of it, and it was on Adult Swim. I remember being so confused but also really intrigued. I'm glad I'm the person who likes to read the manga version (if there is one) of an anime first, because the FMA manga is my favorite that I've ever read. And even though I didn't post on this forum a lot, there was a forum I was on that I did a lot of speculating/freaking out on, and the last few years have been so much better because of it!

And 113 pages! I mean, from what I see I'm already loving this chapter and now there's still dozens of pages left...! I'm sooo excited.
Tombow
<Program Note>

@Kaori Ayanami - I moved your post with your opinion on how the FMA manga series ended to FMA manga ending thread (and merged it to your post there since that was the last post there. ^^)

Let me remind you guys again that this thread is NOT the thread to talk about your opinion on how FMA manga story has concluded. ^^

This is the thread to talk about your reflections and thoughts, for example, how the fact that FMA manga has ended MEANS TO YOU, etc.

If you would like to post your opinions on how FMA manga story line has concluded, please post that on FMA manga ending thread. smile.gif
AA battery
QUOTE (Animeoldtimer @ Jun 9 2010, 06:17 PM) *
I'm curious to know what chapter the manga was on when everyone first came to this site. smile.gif

I don't remember about when I came to this site, but when I started watching FMA it was 12 episodes into the series so right after watching that 12 episodes I read whatever scanlations available then...
FailToImpress
QUOTE (Animeoldtimer @ Jun 10 2010, 02:17 AM) *
I'm curious to know what chapter the manga was on when everyone first came to this site. smile.gif

Hm, I can't remember! I used to lurk around this site before I joined... and I watched series1 anime first.I was probably at about chapter 35/40 when I started coming here to lurk haha.
Thalogens
It's... it's really over?

This is the end of an era D:

Edit- I almost forgot to add my thanks TO EVERYONE. Yes, that means YOU too.
Hagane
I still can't accept it's over, but it was a good journey smile.gif

As my sign says, thanks Arakawa and as Thalogens said, thanks everyone, this only happened because we supported year by year, month by month day by day.

It's a sad departure, but I have a strange feeling that we'll see some more details of the ending, and I hope my feeling gets real tongue.gif
Megabyte117
Wow. Really just an amazing ride that I'm honored to have been a part of. Huge thanks to everyone who contributed and made it possible for others to experience this series.
Dark_Fishie
According to my math, I joined this site before the release of chapter 46 (could be wrong thoug =P). My friend gave me the complete anime series for my birthday the month before, and I marathoned it in two glorious days. I then started on the manga, and found this place shortly after.

OT: regarding "FMA manga re-reding from beginning" project.
I think 2 chapters per week is good time wise. However, I think there should be flexibility with the schedule to allow weeks with one chapter discussions so that we are not splitting up two episode arcs into two separate weeks.
Flamez_Freak
Fma is the only manga/anime , that has made me cry . And this is the third time its done it sad.gif
i can't believe its over . I started wit fma durin the previous fifa world cup , and ironically , it ends wit the ongoing one . . . God , i'm sad . . . And i'm surely gonna shed more tears when brotherhood comes to an end sad.gif
crazyanimefan
Wow...it's really over. I joined this forum a year and a half ago, and it feels like it's been forever! Just want to say thanks to everyone for being so awesome, to all our translators and the people who work so hard to get us good quality FMA, to the people who keep this board running smoothly. It's been awesome. Of course, I'll be staying around, rereading the manga, probably buying every single volume in English once they're released. It's the end of an era, but it's been a wonderful journey together.
hawkflame
This isn't a ride that I've been on as long as others here, having only been a fan since last April or so, but it's certainly been an interesting one. No series has consumed me so much quite in the way FMA did, but at the same time I'm not quite -sad- to see it go, because it's not really over, at least for me, for two reasons: 1) this is a series that I plan to visit again and again and again, and 2) the last chapter of the FMA manga may have been written, but these characters will always live on.
Mr. Deathy
Well, this is the end of a very long ride for me.

It's not one that I've spent much time involved with the FMA fanbase with though. I was introduced to Fullmetal Alchemist through the thread for the first anime on the SomethingAwful.com forums, while it was still airing in Japan, in early 2004.

Through that thread I eventually got into the manga, as I read it around when the anime started to go into its completely own path. At first I found the manga's plot elements odd as it was during the period where Maria Ross was suspect for Hughes murder, but as I went back and read the whole thing, I grew to realise that I appreciated this far more as the author's true vision and the way the story existed to be told.

I wasn't reading every month until 2005 or 2006, but since then I've been an avid reader and it has been my manga highlight each month and my favourite series.

Without it now, I do have one less thing to look forward to each month and now the period around the 8th- 12th of each month will come and pass as something with no meaning for me anymore.

Obviously I've never lived for FMA, that would be crazy talk, but it will be a few months before I do get over the emptyness I'll feel around the time where usually I'd be reading an FMA chapter.

I was never disappointed. Not once.
Loreley
For the last three and half years every month I've waited for the new chapter, almost in a religious way. I always knew it would be great if not awesome, that a woman and her assistants as well as scanlators, translators ecc. were working hard to bring these marvellous pages to me.

Every month, when the time came, I'd check every hour if not more often, waiting fotr the new chapter to magically appear. I would read it and then phone my boyfriend (which is a fan but doesn't read the scans, he waits for the volumes to come out) and tell him what happened in the chapter. Often I was so excited that my words were barely understable.

It was special. 30 minutes every month during which the world couldn't reach me. Only me and the new chapter of FMA.

This last month has been both great and awful. Great because I felt very excited, awful because I feared that the end would disappoint me (fortunately, it hasn't), and also because I knew that, after this one, no more chapters. No more FMA.

And now it's done. I feel a huge emptiness, as if an old friend has gone living abroad, very far away from me. I can see him every now and then or phone him but... it's not the same. He is not dead, but he isn't here anymore.

Thanks to everyone who made it possible. To Hiromu Arakawa, to every assistant, editor, scanlator, translator, reader and fan. Whitout you it wouldn't have been the same.
Killer BOB
Fullmetal Alchemist has always been a soft spot for me, not only being the first anime I watched but the first TV show I came back for due to genuine interest in where the story was going. I only started following the manga about 3 years ago (I had to buy a copy as soon as I saw a picture of Envy's true form, I pretty much said "2003 series who?" when I saw that awesome image) but it was always a high point of anticipation every month, checking all the scan sites and dying a thousand deaths when it hadn't been posted yet (I felt that 100-fold today, good God). It really opened my eyes to how animation and drawing could be the most powerful tools of storytelling, and had better pacing, design and characters than most productions could dream of. Now that it's over... I do feel a slight detachment today. I'm just walking around deep in thought, ignoring my surroundings.

The past years have gone by much more quickly due to my monthly anticipation, and it's going to be weird trying to fill that empty spot. Arakawa, you are truly the queen of queens. Thanks for sharing, and I await with baited breath anything you come up with next.

Bring on the live-action movie (Come on, Guillermo Del Toro, Thomas Sangster, it could work... nevermind)!
sidekick.kep37
^ I'm with you on the whole feeling out of it thing and the wait.

I remember refreshing the manga thread every two minutes once the month started just to see if any spoilers came out early, even though I would always tell myself "This time, you're not gonna spoil yourself". I'd squeal once preview pics were discovered and then I'd fight my hand so as not to click on those links and pages each time and every month just got harder. I'd either give in or wait for a full scanlation and whatever the outcome, the chapter would always still turn out amazing. And then the same thing would happen as the weeks cycled by.

Now, I'm just lost. And just out there. FMA's been with me for about 4 1/2 years, starting with anime1 and I'd like to think it played a real role in how I am today and how I see things from often a more neutral point of view versus a hardcore opinionated once (Buccaneer's line regarding humans not being black and white) or how war's not a fun little adventure or gaining accolades (Ishval) and that no matter what, you can always stand back up and do something instead of just sitting idly by (just about the whole thing). It may be lame and cheesy to say so, but FMA did a lot for me.

Now I will you greatly, FullMetal Alchemist. I'd say my life has changed with you and without you, it will change again. Thank you to everyone, everyone for simply being a fan, enlightening my world with amazing predictions and debates, and contributing to translations, links, fanworks, etc. And thank you Arakawa. Farewell.
Forsaken Love
*sigh* Fma is my all time favourite manga, and no I think of it higher than that, it's my all time favourite story out of any media, literature, graphic novels, movies, series, games, any way of telling a story I can think of! The whole point I read the manga originally was because I hated the ending of the anime, i thought it was depressing, very unfufilling and full of loop holes, but I liked the themes in it, little did I know the manga would be so utterly brilliant! I'm so thankful I read it, it's been a brilliant story to immerse myself in, and I'm glad that the ending was a happy one, a few loose ends perhaps, but fufilling all the same.

I give a big thanks to Hiromu Arakawa, and all her assistants, editiors, publishers, scanners and translators and the fans who got my attention o this series in the first place! XD Thanks for a great time
MsLinn
I have not been a part of the FMA-fandom for very long. Only since autumn -08. And I've only followed chapter by chapter since april -09.
But, it has given me so much. For the first time I am into a fandom to 100%, and I'm loving it here! It's so intense everything; the waiting, the fanfics, the fanart, the discussion and theories, and philosophy in the series itself! And now (soon) it's over. I feel very empty that there will be nothing NEW. No more answers to questions, no new baffling resolves to tricky situations, no more plottwists, no more excitement when they found new clues on how to bring their bodies back, no more theories as to what Arakawa will come up with now! It is over. I feel so restless.

I'm glad that it doesn't go on and on with more and more challanges (what I call the 'Pastime-mangas'), but it acctually has a strong pulled together storyline and...an ending. ('The Thought-provoking mangas'.) It ends, and it was inevitable.
I was planing on waiting with this last chapter for at least a couple of weeks, maybe until Brotherhood ended because I was hoping to find someone to read it WITH. But it just, WAS there last night, and although I felt dreadful the whole time, I couldn't STOP. I saw the end of the cliff but I just kept running, heh.
And my mother suggested, coldheartedly, when I was woobling around brushing my teeth, that there will be other series for me to read. D:
I really doubt that anything will be this good. This series has brought me my favorite character in everything fictional ever; Alphonse. It really opened up my eyes to the world of manga and anime, and asian culture. And humor!
It has a fire somehow, that I really want to have in my life. The fire in Ed's eyes, it just, gives me energy, and the fire in Al's eyes gives me other burning sensations *cough*
I hope that the fandom wont evaporate now that it's soon to be over. We have the eng dub, and the read through of all chapters. I will continue to draw fanart. I will really miss you and everything...T_T

It also makes me over-dramatic. Like, I feel disappointed that it didn't get on the news, and why didn't the world ENDDD!?
zonkiethegreat
I've been a fan of FMA for the past 5 years or so. I fell in love with the first original anime that aired late at night on Adult Swim, and from then on I was totally hooked by this cast of diverse characters and amazing story-lines.

FMa is the first manga I have ever read, and probably will be my last, well....maybe when Arakawa creates a new work....who knows??

I am truly sad to see it end. I, along with many others here, were and still are very emotionally invested in this fictional world. Almost to a point that many people would find "weird" or "nerdy" I guess.

But who cares what others think anyways?? LOL....this series brought us a lot of joy, sadness, and I believe even opened our minds to the creative world Arakawa created.

It literally boggles my mind, how this woman came up with such a complex and beautifully crafted story. And I thank her for it. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

For now, I will continue my tireless effort in completing one of my fanfics, of which I have several people yelling at me to do so.

FMA was really a great gift.
FailToImpress
I'll post this while the emotions are running high i.e. me bawling my eyes out after just finishing reading.

I just can't quite believe it. The ending always seemed that much further away. I've been following this for going on 6 years, and I finally have the ending. I don't really care if this sounds stupid but you cannot imagine how this makes me feel, and I'm sure many of us feel the same.

No other story has gotten me so captivated. The first anime is what caught my attention, and despite its flaws, I still love it beyond belief; it's what made me love FMA in the first place. The manga followed, and pulled me into another world that I loved, and still love.

All I really have to say is that I thank Arakawa so much for this, she doesn't know how happy she's made me right now. smile.gif
EveningAlchemist
Is it ironic that I had to sit through a grueling chemistry test, work hours of labor, give a psychology presentation on dreams, and eat a piece of pie before I could get my hands on a computer to read the ending? Yeah, but I was really scared I was going to blurt out "OMFG IT'S OVER!" right in the middle of my presentation!

FMA has really been almost like a teacher to me. (Lame maybe but stick with me here...) It's taught me a lot of things about being human and accepting imperfections within yourself in the world. The main bad dude is obsessed with perfection and ends up defeated while Ed gives up his powers and ends up happy and content. It makes a person happy for just being ordinary, because that seems to be what Hiromu herself values! What made me happiest about the whole ending was when Ed said to the truth "I have always been an ordinary person". We are all ordinary people, and can simply be happy with what we are - not gods - but humans. That's a powerful thing for a fantasy/sci-fi manga artist to say! *sniffle*

I read this with my friend at her house, and now her dad won't stop making fun of my reaction to it all. Let's just say it involved a ton of screaming/squealing and squeezing my Roy plushie for moral support. And now the poor man has to take us to an anime convention.

Now I just need to find another manga good enough to replace FMA in my life... still working on that.
Calvero
DELETED
RaphieL

I came here when it was on chapter 100, even thought I been watching this site for years, seeing what everyone thought and had to share. I started reading the manga around when chapter 33 came out so you can imagine how long I've been watching this site.

Good times. cool.gif
Shafa
Well, I had a really thoughtful and patient reply typed out, but a few minutes ago, my stinkin' computer decided to be mean and deleted it all. Accidentally, of course. (I don't think all you strangers care about this, so let's just get to the FMA part,xD).

I really really really don't want it to end honestly. I can't accept it just yet. It's too big a part of me, the only thing I can become lost in, where I can escape from the ordinary world of my life. I found it by watching a little comercial on a strange tv channel, which made me curious. I looked it up, and I quickly became hooked. I love everything about it, and I feel like I have known this story for so long, even though I found it only a few years ago.

I love the story for it's serious and realistic situations and emotions. It shows the harsh reality of life, and the consequences people can suffer for their actions. I love how that makes it different from other manga and anime. But I also love the light and funny parts woven into the story, making it even more likable. I loved Edward's hilarious and exaggerated responses to comments about his height, and all the humor in between. I liked Ed's and Al's sweet childhood memories, including those of their mother. I love how they promised to get their bodies back without using anyone's lives. I especially loved the magic of the alchemy, it was amazing!

The characters were all great, but I really like Edward (of course xD), Winry, and Alphonse. I love how Edward seems a little selfish, but also stubborn, immature, and strong willed. Deeper though, he's selfless and helps out anyone who's suffering. There's so much to him, and I think he was the biggest impact on me in the series. Winry is an amazing character for me. She has a mix of characteristics, being a tomboyish mechanic, and girly as well. She's stubborn (similar to Ed huh?), kind, empathetic, and always there to help the brothers out. And Alphonse, the kindhearted and patient brother, who had a love for cats (I do too!). I always liked his character!

I wish I could say that I cried after knowing how it ended (which was awesome, btw), but I can't believe I didn't. I just feel a vast emptiness, as others have described before, and I don't really know what to do now. I mean, I'll go on living my life, but I'll always remember when I watched the anime and read the manga right when the episodes and chapters came out. I'll always remember the feeling of knowing that it would still go on, and saying that "Oh, there's a new chapter of FMA coming out this month!" line.

However, I can't help but get the feeling that Hiromu Arakawa is going to make an extra or something, to show what exactly happened to everyone in the end. (this isn't an opinion on the content of the FMA manga chapter 108). I don't know, I may as well be wrong.

Oh well, xD. I have never read such a wonderful series (in my opinion, it's better than Naruto). I'm grateful to have found this, and to have accompanied Ed and Al throughout their journey. (this is like a sad goodbye to a friend). I'll always remember it. Thanks to Hiromu Arakawa for making the awesomest series, and giving so many people something to enjoy and hold close.

(I really hope I don't sound like a sentimental nerd. ahh, well, who cares? xD).
The Last Will Alchemist
~ Crying, The Saddest Times In FullMetal Alchemist. ~

Share your deepest tears shed for the manga/show.
This was inspired by the fact that I was re-reading the first 25 chapters for the hundredth time, and I never fail to, not even this time, Cry when Hughes dies. I loved him so much. ): . sad.gif
Chizakura
Absolutely loved it. I wish Greed and Hohenheim made it to the end though. I loved both of them. Other than the sadness of losing those two, it was truly a great ending to 'bask' in. =) I admit to having a tear or two in my eyes.

I especially loved the photo with Ed and his babies. <3 He'd make an adorable father. xD

I just finished it for the first time the day before yesterday, so I'm having a bit of 'post-series depression' xD Haha. There's no more FMA to read. =( I want to collect Brotherhood on blu-ray though and watch through it and experience the series in another way.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.