Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chapter 108, The Final Chapter "Regular" Discussion Thread For First Time Readers (and Others)
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Manga > FMA Manga Spoiler Zone
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
RoyxRizaFan
I'm figuring that I don't have to use spoiler tags since the scanlation is out and this is a chapter content discussion thread...but correct me if I'm wrong.

I think this chapter really brought home a lot of the main things this manga was about, and that everyone's fates were well-suited. Ed sacrificed his alchemy in order to bring Al back, and he said something along the lines of, "I've always been human." The manga was about being human - about suffering, messing up, and then pulling yourself back up, fixing your mistakes and using what you learned to better the world and those you love and wish to protect. So, that's what Ed did. He "beat Truth." That was a brilliant scene, and something I've been looking forward to since Ed swore, "We're going to take down that bastard Truth and get your body back!"

A nice touch was Ed's right arm wrapped around Al's body when they exited the doors. I don't mind that he didn't get his leg, because I agree with him, that it's a nice reminder of all they've gone through. A reminder of their mistake and, in a way, a souvenier, I guess...plus Winry WOULD kill him if he got rid of it.

Hohenheim's scenes were phenominal - all of them. Ed crying for the first time (I believe) since almost losing Al, finally calling him a father, and then his tearjerking death scene. It's sweet simplicity was so much stronger than a melodramatic self-sacrifice ever could have been. His last thoughts really brought home what his character was all about, and that final "I don't want to die" was so very human and moving. Now, he's with Trisha, and who could ask for more?

Ed and Al's return to Resembool ate up a few tissues as well. When Winry cried 'tears of joy' and came and they all hugged, the panel was beautiful and the scene was breathtaking. Al insisting to walk on his own two legs to the house, and then later pledging to see the world with his eyes and travel it on his feet was great. That was one of the best parts- Al finally getting back everything he lost after all he's gone through, and regaining his body (which I'm not going to lie is looking pretty damn good towards the end there!) And, it was a nice surprise that he lived up to fans' predictions and decided to move to Xing to study alkastry with Mei!

The mentions of Nina were great, too, since she really did changed a lot of what the manga was about, and how the brothers looked at life, and their role in the world as alchemists and as humans.

Roy regained his eyesight, which was a huge relief, and agreed to atone for what he did in Ishbal by pretty much reversing it, which I think is an important thing for him to do before becoming Fuhrer. I think that was a very good move on Arakawa's part, because I hadn't thought of it myself, that he should fix up the last bits of his imperfect past before moving forward to lead the country. And I'm glad to see Riza's by his side as well. My only regret is that there weren't any scenes with Roy himself, really- he had the Marcoh scene, and from then on we learned about him through Grumman and the radio. I would have liked to see him speaking to Ed one last time, or had a mention of the 520 cenz promise.

Ling becoming Emperor was rewarding and conclusive. I was glad to see him reach that goal, and I really liked the last scene with Greed, where he sacrificed himself for his friends. What an un-Greedy thing to do! Rather than being tied down and forced into a pot of boiling lava he sacrificed himself for what he cared about. A nice contrast, and a very interesting way to settle the Greeling issue.

Ed's proposal was another one of the genius scenes. It was so in-character for both of them, and very Arakawa-ish. Comparing it to "equivalent exchange" was adorably geeky, and made me laugh and die of happiness at the same time. I was glad to see this resolved (I knew it had to be) and to see that they made babies together XD

Although I was like, "WHAT???! NO SCAR NAME???!!!" the line, "I already died twice. Call me what you'd like," was so amazing, so fitting, and very climatic that I'm not too disapointed here. It's interesting what he's decided to do with his life, and I'm so very happy he didn't die, especially in that bizarrely hilarious way the first anime pulled it off - you know, losing both arms, building hopping, and getting shot.

Another thing I like is the hopefulness of the ending. Another main theme of the manga has always been hope - the boys always trudged on, even when all seemed dark, every character fought against everything from physical handicaps to emotional scars to scarring pasts, and yet each of them overcame their weaknesses and became better for it in the end. Ed learned to live without alchemy, and to live as a man trying to better the world, and he started a family with Winry. Al went on to try to help the world as well, and, I'm assuming, is with Mei. The chimeras are trying to figure out a way to reverse what happened to them for themselves and people like Nina, Havoc continues to struggle to 'catch up to' Roy, Roy and Riza are making up for what they did in Ishbal, Scar is taking all he's been through and learned and trying to bring meaning to the rest of his life, Black Hayate reproduced, and Hohenheim finally got what he wanted- a reunion with his beloved wife, Trisha. People like the Armstrongs, Roy's subordinates, and even good old Yoki overcame obstacles in their life and moved on.

This is why it's the best manga, and one of the best series ever written - the plots were all crafted perfectly, the characters were all likeable and well-developed, and the themes were true-to-life and well presented. This story is, as far as I can see, unparalled.

Thank you, Arakawa, for a journey I'll never forget, and thanks to everyone who has contributed to these great discussions and helped spread the chapters over the internet. I hope it doesn't end here, and that her next work will be just as good, and we'll all be discussing it together once again.
Kirara
What an amazing post RoyxRizaFan I had a hard time putting my thoughts into words but your post just really summed up the beauty of the ending so perfectly. Thanks so much.
paca
loved the end <3, the lines, the ideas...how it all fits!! I was just a month ago talking about Al and Ed's chat on the stairs about being human...

See it not as AN end...the "end" has been all the promise day ... and remember the end es not what matters...the important is the way, the journey and this was just the achivment of some goals...but there is a lot ahead <3 and the journey goes one ...but readng backwards we now what ahead very clearly ;D, 'cause many things have been foreshadowed.

HisshouBuraiKen
Great post by RoyxRizaFan. One thing you skipped, and what I personally felt was kind of a missed opportunity was the "new" Selim and Grumman's reaction to him. The point being that a homunculus, a being made in a human's image, may have all the capacity to be as human as anyone else, yet in the end Grumman was left wondering, essentially, to what extent that was possible. It was probably my least favorite scene in the chapter, but I give Mrs. B credit for soldiering on. Strong woman, that one.

And of course you can't beat the end-credits-photo-montage. Yoki, Darius and Heinkel in the circus caught me off guard XD
Vagrant
Well, it was a hell of a ride, folks.

This chapter wasn't omfg awesome, but more suitable tying off of loose ends. I was pretty happy with how it all turned out. I'm still a little confused with some of the details about the Truth, Homonculous and Selim tho'.

Also, I may have teared up. Shut up. It's super early in the morning here. Maybe I have developed computer allergies, I don't know.
Anomia Grey
Thank you once again for the translation, HisshouBuraiKen, it flows so nicely and was such an immense relief once I found it!

I didn't mind Grumman too much - I think it would have felt like Selim got away too easily if Grumman hadn't alluded to the possibility of things not going well. Ms Bradley's decision sheds new light on the character of homonculi, and is an unexpected and lovely twist, but Grumman's ending remarks give it an extra sense of suspense that leaves you even more curious about what will happen to them in the future.
Kirara
QUOTE (HisshouBuraiKen @ Jun 10 2010, 07:17 PM) *
Great post by RoyxRizaFan. One thing you skipped, and what I personally felt was kind of a missed opportunity was the "new" Selim and Grumman's reaction to him. The point being that a homunculus, a being made in a human's image, may have all the capacity to be as human as anyone else, yet in the end Grumman was left wondering, essentially, to what extent that was possible. It was probably my least favorite scene in the chapter, but I give Mrs. B credit for soldiering on. Strong woman, that one.

And of course you can't beat the end-credits-photo-montage. Yoki, Darius and Heinkel in the circus caught me off guard XD

Actually what I got from this scene is it could go either way but it's something that Mrs. Bradley has to work on. I feel that was certainly a theme in this final chapter. Everything isn't perfect the characters have to work to make the world a better place

Mrs. Bradley is working to raise Selim properly
Ed and Al are working to find a way to cure Chimeras
Ling is working to be a good emperor to his people
Roy and Scar are working to help the Ishvalans.
heartwing713
Okay: Here are my thoughts: I read the scanlation on OneManga...and is that really all the pages? Because I though some things were missing

Ed giving Winry's earrings back, Roy/Riza interaction, Al eating apple pie, an explanation for Pride/Selim (we see him as an embryo, then suddenly as a toddler again? and they say he's a homunculus, in which case why is he aging, and why does he still inhabit a human shell? but if he's human, why does he have the mark on his forehead?)

So I don't know about you guys, but I though that Arakawa, who always always always ties up her loose ends and never puts things in her stories that don't hold significance, would give us some more closure. I mean...the apple pie and the earrings were mentioned multiple times, and there was even a gaiden about them. And the 520 cenz promise along with everything else leading up to Roy being fuhrer, and then it's all "oh no, sorry, can't see now. Grumman can have it" It seems to contradict everything that we've been shown so far about Roy.

Basically...I'm just hoping for more pages...or at least an epilogue...
Killer BOB
QUOTE (HisshouBuraiKen @ Jun 10 2010, 08:17 PM) *

Ling never sold a single box of toner. He is currently unemployed.

Yok sold his "The #1" shirt for $3(US). He got a good deal.

Heinkel went on to host some show on Animal Planet. It was canceled before the first commercial break.
FMAobsessed
I have only looked at scans in Japanese. I need to actually read the chapter. But I am so happy Al has his body back. I thought he was an adorable suit of armor. But he looks even cuter now.

Will post my thoughts later.
Causmicfire
Thanks to everyone who brought us 108: scans, translations, and scanlation. The bit betweenEd and Hohenheim made me tear up. I really like that bit with Scar, and Olivier acting all clueless to his whereabouts as he's carted past her in a stretcher. And Alex asking her if she should go see Buccaneer.

All in all, I'm satisfied with the end.
Kirara
About the 520 Cenz promise I don't think Arakawa forgot about it and I don't think it was important to bring it up again. The point of that scene was Ed telling Roy don't needlessly throw away your life there are things for you still to accomplish. Well Roy is not giving up his life. His last line is "I am going to be busy again tell all my subordinates". Roy is continuing to work to improve the country.

As the notes says he was promoted to Brig General and is working to revise the Ishval policy from the ground up. He isn't giving up on his life and he is working to change the country. That was the important part of the promise not that he would become Fuhrer. But who knows maybe one day he still will. Did people really need to see a scene of Roy giving the money back to Ed? I think Roy is keeping his promise to Ed just fine.

That being said I wouldn't have minded a final scene between Roy & Ed.
Animeoldtimer
QUOTE (heartwing713 @ Jun 10 2010, 11:16 PM) *
Okay: Here are my thoughts: I read the scanlation on OneManga...and is that really all the pages? Because I though some things were missing

Ed giving Winry's earrings back, Roy/Riza interaction, Al eating apple pie, an explanation for Pride/Selim (we see him as an embryo, then suddenly as a toddler again? and they say he's a homunculus, in which case why is he aging, and why does he still inhabit a human shell? but if he's human, why does he have the mark on his forehead?)

So I don't know about you guys, but I though that Arakawa, who always always always ties up her loose ends and never puts things in her stories that don't hold significance, would give us some more closure. I mean...the apple pie and the earrings were mentioned multiple times, and there was even a gaiden about them. And the 520 cenz promise along with everything else leading up to Roy being fuhrer, and then it's all "oh no, sorry, can't see now. Grumman can have it" It seems to contradict everything that we've been shown so far about Roy.

That's what I keep thinking!! Maybe I'm in denial, but that's exactly what I was thinking! I went even as far to think that maybe she kept some things open to write a new manga based on Roy and his gang. I know I'm wrong, but I was surprised at the missing things in the conclusion. I liked it anyway though. I'm not disappointed.

@Kirara Your comments are very well put. That does give me more closure. smile.gif

One last silly unimportant comment: I don't like that Riza's hair is short again. However, maybe it's just easier to manage in Ishval.
hawkflame
QUOTE (heartwing713 @ Jun 10 2010, 11:16 PM) *

They did at least have a call back to the "apple pie" bit when Al spoke to Ed when he was fixing the roof.

But as for the rest, the only thing I really missed was Roy and Riza and their atonement for Ishbal. One of hte more powerful aspects of their respective character arcs was that they were fighting for a system that would end up with them being tried for war crimes. They covered it to some degree, with them trying to restore Ishbalan civilization and allowing Ishbalans to return to their homeland, but I don't know if that's enough for people who are willing to face a firing squad for what they did.
shanryelric
QUOTE (Causmicfire @ Jun 11 2010, 10:36 AM) *
Thanks to everyone who brought us 108: scans, translations, and scanlation. The bit betweenEd and Hohenheim made me tear up. I really like that bit with Scar, and Olivier acting all clueless to his whereabouts as he's carted past her in a stretcher. And Alex asking her if she should go see Buccaneer.

All in all, I'm satisfied with the end.

trus. that interaction between ed and hohenheim made me tearing up (again). I LOVE the ending and the way it is. but I'll be happier if only Arakawa-sensei would make an epilogue, or a gaiden, and a gaiden about roy and riza!! may and al would be good also.

still crying :'( I love the ending so so much. man. I love all the conclusion, there's nothing that I don't like about the ending.
what I realized : OMG ALPHONSE!!! how could you be so HANDSOME?? smile.gif)
Seeker of Truth
Okay, after reading it all, I am "ok" with Greed's sacrifice. I felt the ending worked well and did anyone else get the impression that Van transferred his last "soul" into Al, hence why Al felt the way he did during the handshake? Van did die soon after, which seems unlikely if he still had the soul he offered to Ed to recover Al in the first place. It would explain why Al recovered as quick as he did, even if it was not fully as of when they went to see Winry.I do have a real issue with Roy getting his eyesight back! I am okay with it from as a fan, just feel it is a plot hole. When Van healed Sensei, he said he could not fully do it because the loss represented her "sin". Now Van could have chose not to do it so she would keep the lesson it represents (or he he could just be mistaken). Not knowing how Roy did return his sight, maybe he did remove his gate like Ed or similar, so I am whining for nothing. It just bothers me not knowing why it was okay for Roy but not Sensei? Maybe the Her Cowness just likes Roy better! laugh.gif
sniper19
I have a question about this page.

http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/108/064/

What does Roy mean by "I wish i could do as Fullmetal did and use my own gate as a toll, but then there wouldn't be a way back"?
Kasumisty
QUOTE (Seeker of Truth @ Jun 11 2010, 07:24 AM) *
I do have a real issue with Roy getting his eyesight back! I am okay with it from as a fan, just feel it is a plot hole. When Van healed Sensei, he said he could not fully do it because the loss represented her "sin". Now Van could have chose not to do it so she would keep the lesson it represents (or he he could just be mistaken). Not knowing how Roy did return his sight, maybe he did remove his gate like Ed or similar, so I am whining for nothing. It just bothers me not knowing why it was okay for Roy but not Sensei? Maybe the Her Cowness just likes Roy better! laugh.gif

I thought he couldn't heal Izumi, because she did it intentionally and the organs she's lost represent her sin - to get them back, Hohenheim or her would have to return something she's gained from human transmutation. In Roy's case, he was forced to do transmutation unwillingly, so no Equivalent Exchange laws apply.

QUOTE (sniper19 @ Jun 11 2010, 08:01 AM) *
I have a question about this page.

http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/108/064/

What does Roy mean by "I wish i could do as Fullmetal did and use my own gate as a toll, but then there wouldn't be a way back"?

Ed could only get back, because he had a "backdoor", Al's Gate. If it wasn't for mind-link with Al, he would be stuck in the Gate space forever. Roy doesn't have any backdoor. A game glitch
allykatty1
QUOTE (Hagane @ Jun 10 2010, 02:30 PM) *
What if Al gives up on Alchemy to bring Trisha back? tongue.gif

Just joking, but hey... huh.gif

By the way, perfect series, perfect ending smile.gif

Lol, I don't think that would be possible anyway, since it's still a case of Al still being alive, just "taken," whereas Trisha no longer exists (unless souls go to "heaven" in the FMA-verse, but still, that's not the same as the Gate I think). I know you were joking, but I replied anyway, haha, forgive me! XD

I thought Ed was looking particularly young-Hohenheim-esque in the scene where he was repairing the rooftop. <3 It's a little weirder later on to see him wearing clothes and a ponytail like Hohenheim's when he leaves for the West, mostly because I see it on two levels: firstly, I guess it's his subtle way of forgiving his Father, by trying to be more like him (remembering way back at the gravesite when he furiously twisted his hair back into a braid after Hohenheim noticed they were wearing their hair the same way, lol!). Secondly, I also feel like it was a little knock at Shamballa as well. He looks just like he did at the end of Anime1, but in entirely different and much happier circumstances. In any case, he looks pretty good! wink.gif I guess the red coat is gone for good, something he left behind along with his military title and the era of their hard journey. Although I bet Winry still has the original one he gave her after the fight with Scar, tucked away somewhere...

I also noticed and loved the bit where Mustang says that Ed won't sacrifice himself because he wouldn't want to leave Al alone. I do kind of think it was another knock at Anime1, haha. happy.gif

Also loved Ed's acknowledgment of all the people who have helped him and Al along the way and him remembering Riza's words to him about how they were all there supporting them and helping them towards their goal. That's one of the biggest differences between this series and Anime1 - here there are more characters who have close bonds with one another, whereas Anime1 seemed to focus almost exclusively on Ed and Al's brotherly bond. Not that that's a bad thing! I'm very glad both versions exist. smile.gif
Winry Chan
I may appear to be nitpicky, but:

How come Al is surprised when Hohenheim takes his hand, and says he has spent a long time without feeling anything with his human body - when just prior May had hugged him and he had no reaction to the sensation?

I had the same thought about when Ed helped Al through the Gate, but because it's in another dimension sensations might be different?

EDIT: Another detail.

Whatever happened to the pocketwatch?
Causmicfire
QUOTE (Winry Chan @ Jun 10 2010, 11:39 PM) *
I may appear to be nitpicky, but:

How come Al is surprised when Hohenheim takes his hand, and says he has spent a long time without feeling anything with his human body - when just prior May had hugged him and he had no reaction to the sensation?

I had the same thought about when Ed helped Al through the Gate, but because it's in another dimension sensations might be different?

EDIT: Another detail.

Maybe the first two times he was too shocked to mention it, or maybe it hadn't quite sunk in yet.

Pocket watch: in my head canon: Winry has it.
QueenTiria
To the series that turned my manga and anime expectations upside down, to the series that captured everything, that perfectly illustrated the change in all the characters as they readjusted their vision of the world and what's important, to the fact that although equivalent exchange maybe a scientific law, but as they realised, the world itself is far larger than a simple scientific law. As Ed had said, I take all the experience and thrill I have obtained from this amazing series and will add my own and pass it onto the next person.

Thankyou Arakawa sensei smile.gif for concluding a wonderful series beautifully, although more Royai would be better haha. Everyone has come a full circle, every one of the characters are now so changed from when they first appeared, and in the process of redemption of not only themselves, but also giving back to the world.

e.g. scar, who initially loathed the state alchemists is now working with them, brought back to life by them again
mustang (and his subordinates too), who have always been weighed down by their war crimes is now seeking to right the wrong of misplacing the Ishvalans
al and ed, both who was faced with the harsh reality of the world when they couldn't save one little girl, is now going and searching for ways to cure the chimeras.
greed satiated his greed (haha)
ling came for his own glory, and returned with the acceptance of all of the other 49 clans
alex who had always regretted his running away had stayed, and is now taking charge smile.gif
hohenheim had finally died and joined trisha, something he had always wanted
and finally, edward, who was abandoned by his own father now not only acknowledges him, but is a father himself AHHHHH EDWIN BABIEZZZ

i think this is an amazing conclusion (tho more royai would be good haha) and now i'm going to cry over there in the corner :'D
Silvery Mist

My guess is that he probably gave it back to the military. The pocketwatch identifies him as a State Alchemist and since he's no longer one he has to return it.
Causmicfire
QUOTE (Silvery Mist @ Jun 11 2010, 12:16 AM) *

My guess is that he probably gave it back to the military. The pocketwatch identifies him as a State Alchemist and since he's no longer one he has to return it.

My first thought on him returning it to the military = damage to gov. property is not smiled upon. Al must have used alchemy to fix it if he returned it.
allykatty1
QUOTE (Winry Chan @ Jun 10 2010, 10:39 PM) *

Oh yeah, geez, when was the last time we saw that out of his pocket anyway? I guess it was when he used it to trick the guards at the lab to get into the underground passage. Seems like ages ago (well, a year for us readers!), but story-wise it was only less than a day. Not really that important, but would have been nice to see it one more time, maybe make a comment about it in regards to quitting the military (since he'd be pretty useless as an alchemist to them now). Eh, I assume he'll just be keeping the watch in a drawer somewhere as a memento. tongue.gif

EDIT: Good point by some folks that he might be required to return it to the military. sleep.gif Meh, I prefer to think he keeps it though.

Another trivial detail - what's Ed gonna do for a living now, lol?! XD Being a do-gooder doesn't put bread on the table! I guess we can assume he was well-paid enough as a State Alchemist that he's set for life. Maybe he got a reward from the State for his services during the Promised Day. Or maybe he'll make a living as a researcher somehow even without the ability to actually perform alchemy.
AA battery
QUOTE (Kasumisty @ Jun 10 2010, 11:11 PM) *
A game glitch

XDDDD you crack me up hahaha.

Ed probably sold it on ebay. j/k

QUOTE (allykatty1 @ Jun 11 2010, 12:46 AM) *
Another trivial detail - what's Ed gonna do for a living now, lol?! XD Being a do-gooder doesn't put bread on the table! I guess we can assume he was well-paid enough as a State Alchemist that he's set for life. Maybe he got a reward from the State for his services during the Promised Day. Or maybe he'll make a living as a researcher somehow even without the ability to actually perform alchemy.

We know one thing that he won't be... a designer. XD

==============

Though after discussing with a friend, we both agreed that the very last photo with Ed and Winry's children is a rather insensitive touch by Arakawa-sensei, we won't further go into why it is an insensitive touch as it then gets to a personal level, but yeah...
SneakyRuler
What I find important with this is that the most common presumptions proved to be wrong. Scar didn't die and Hohenheim didn't sacrifice his life to get Al back. Hurray!

Greed's sacrifice left me with two parallel feelings. I could see it from far away and I would love to see Greedling as Xingese emperor. On the other hand, Greed filled the void in his heart and his stroy got some sort of conclusion.

Father's Truth was amazing! I loved it! Now we really see that whoever it is, The Truth always mirrors its person. And here we see the reason of his downfall - he didn't evolved at all. While Ed states "I'm just a simple human" and is content with it, Father learned nothing and instead of being himself/itself and excepting his limitations, he tried to become something else which by itself hindered his personal growth.

And here comes the best - Ed will not exchange his life for Al because that would make Al feel horrible. And the same goes for Hohenheim -

Ed's talk with Hohenheim was heart-warming. Ed's tears weren't because of a loss but because he heard how much Hohenheim loves him and Al and how much sorry he is for not being with them after Trisha's death.

One of the most impressive images - Ed just passes the truth and does his deal. He gives up his alchemy for his brother. Very symbolic - not only does end "Fullmetal Alchemist" manga but Fullmetal Alchemist himself.

Al coming back. I won't lie. Alphonse expression when he took Hohenheim's hand moved me to tears. His wonder and amazement at simple human touch, being able to feel was one of the best moments of FMA for me.

Scar is alive! Yes! Selim was brought back to his mother. She probably never gets to know the truth about his husband but she's been told that her son was a monster all the time.

Riza being treated - here Royai fans get a closure to a question whether or not she wears a bra (yes, that has been discussed several times at Royai thread, that's how fanatic and dedicated the fans of this pairing are! laugh.gif ) Roy is given his sight back so he can help revive Ishbal, which is a prize by itself. Still not sure I like the idea of Grumman as Fuhrer.

Ed and Al come home biggrin.gif are greeted by Winry and eat an apple pie. Good.

So the brothers set on a journey to help those affected by alchemy (to the ones who want help, Darius and Heinkel seem to like their predicament) and now they want to repay those who helped them on their way as well as those who need help to make the world a better place.

Scar's name stays unknown and with this I never get my suspicion confirmed. I always thought his real name was Ignatius. Oh well. He does seem to be cooperating with the military but I think I can see that Ishvalan wrap under his coat so he probably didn't enter himself.

Olivier - we get confirmed that she cares more about her people than her military goals. She gives up a fine officer in Miles and a potential human wheapon in Scar just to grand Miles' (and Mustang's!) wish to rebuild his land and culture.

Nothing else to add - just that I hope Winry was the one naming their kids. Knowing Ed's sense in design and clothing he would be able to pick the most extraordinary names! laugh.gif

Forsaken Love
Well woah what a chapter! On the whole I'm delighted with how it ended, I did want Ed to get his leg back, but due to the reasoning of why he didn't I'm not particually bothered, quite a few things I expected to happen, did happen, like Al going to Xing at the end, since Ed's wondering about in the west, I wonder if he'll relearn alchemy the hard way XD aquiring the truth through hard labour, I dunno the ending sorta implied that to me, REALLY reminds me of what happened at the end of his dark materials with the alieteiometer, i loved pairing canon-ness XD haha I'm such an Almei shipper lol! And I wuvs the edwin that was adorable! Loved that photo at the end with Ed Al WInry and Mei, and Ed and Winry had kids! Thats so cute! Love how Ling decided to look after Mei's clan =3 We didn't learn Scars name! But i guess with all the hype, perhaps no name would have been epic enough for him XD I'm glad Roy got his eyesight back <3 and photo at the end suggested Havoc learned to walk again without the ps stone so that's all good, only thing I'm a bit dissopointed with, is the lack of royai! And I was a little annoied that Roy didnt become fuher but there we go, and what happened about winry's earings and AL eatin apple pie allthough it was mantioned i supsoe and there were a few other loose ends, but part from that I loved it! And omg i teared up at Greed! I was really sad at first but i guess its best for Ling XD

-oh and im SO happy that Ed cried lol XD Practically an entire series leading up to that moment, was sweeet <3
Tian Ai
I was a bit out of touch with news before this chapter, but I'd heard there was going to be 150 pages...? What happened to that?

So I read all the raws and was hoping they'd left out some epilogue, but this is really it...? blink.gif It caught me off guard.
Like many others, I was disappointed in the lack of closure for the other characters. We did get to see the general idea of what became of the military, but yes, the 520 Cenz Promise... we didn't get to see Team Mustang's reunion at all, just an implication that Roy gets his sight back and begins to work on the Ishval affair.

Not that it wasn't a great chapter - I'm always impressed by Arakawa's ability to translate raw emotion and epicness into her work, even if the events were somewhat foreseen. I loved the exchange between Ed and Hohenheim when they were trying to get Al back. And I normally dislike Edwin, but that scene made me warm and fuzzy inside smile.gif
Broken Chouchou
So... it's over. I might post some thoughts later. Once I feel a little more organized.
TheSentinel
QUOTE (SneakyRuler @ Jun 11 2010, 05:42 AM) *
What I find important with this is that the most common presumptions proved to be wrong. Scar didn't die and Hohenheim didn't sacrifice his life to get Al back. Hurray!

Greed's sacrifice left me with two parallel feelings. I could see it from far away and I would love to see Greedling as Xingese emperor. On the other hand, Greed filled the void in his heart and his stroy got some sort of conclusion.

Father's Truth was amazing! I loved it! Now we really see that whoever it is, The Truth always mirrors its person. And here we see the reason of his downfall - he didn't evolved at all. While Ed states "I'm just a simple human" and is content with it, Father learned nothing and instead of being himself/itself and excepting his limitations, he tried to become something else which by itself hindered his personal growth.

And here comes the best - Ed will not exchange his life for Al because that would make Al feel horrible. And the same goes for Hohenheim -

Ed's talk with Hohenheim was heart-warming. Ed's tears weren't because of a loss but because he heard how much Hohenheim loves him and Al and how much sorry he is for not being with them after Trisha's death.

One of the most impressive images - Ed just passes the truth and does his deal. He gives up his alchemy for his brother. Very symbolic - not only does end "Fullmetal Alchemist" manga but Fullmetal Alchemist himself.

Al coming back. I won't lie. Alphonse expression when he took Hohenheim's hand moved me to tears. His wonder and amazement at simple human touch, being able to feel was one of the best moments of FMA for me.

Scar is alive! Yes! Selim was brought back to his mother. She probably never gets to know the truth about his husband but she's been told that her son was a monster all the time.

Riza being treated - here Royai fans get a closure to a question whether or not she wears a bra (yes, that has been discussed several times at Royai thread, that's how fanatic and dedicated the fans of this pairing are! laugh.gif ) Roy is given his sight back so he can help revive Ishbal, which is a prize by itself. Still not sure I like the idea of Grumman as Fuhrer.

Ed and Al come home biggrin.gif are greeted by Winry and eat an apple pie. Good.

So the brothers set on a journey to help those affected by alchemy (to the ones who want help, Darius and Heinkel seem to like their predicament) and now they want to repay those who helped them on their way as well as those who need help to make the world a better place.

Scar's name stays unknown and with this I never get my suspicion confirmed. I always thought his real name was Ignatius. Oh well. He does seem to be cooperating with the military but I think I can see that Ishvalan wrap under his coat so he probably didn't enter himself.

Olivier - we get confirmed that she cares more about her people than her military goals. She gives up a fine officer in Miles and a potential human wheapon in Scar just to grand Miles' (and Mustang's!) wish to rebuild his land and culture.

Nothing else to add - just that I hope Winry was the one naming their kids. Knowing Ed's sense in design and clothing he would be able to pick the most extraordinary names! laugh.gif

Sums up quite a few of my own opinions.

Politics + Military: I think she closed the whole Politics + Military situation awesomely.

#1 Central Command has been destroyed/killed/captured.

#2 Gen. Armstrong can't take over, it would cause a civil war. Her troops killing the central troops and then Central being forced to follow her would cause to many problems.

#3 Col. Mustang while having the best footing is to low ranking. His not killing central troops and having the support of one of Bradley's aide's, Hawkeye, will allow to him to basically state "I warned my old mentor Gen. Grumman about my suspicions of what was happening and he sent troops to support the Fuhrer." This gets Grumman, who's respected anyway, into the Fuhrer position.

#4 I don't think parliament is back in power/control yet. Gen. Grumman is not Bradley/Wrath, but the man is ambitious. I think he's holding most the power at the moment.

#5 Grumman is old and will only be around for a few more years. This paves the way for Mustang to rebuild Ishval, then come in as Grumman's successor. This will allow him as the "hero of Ishval" and the one with the best standing at the end of the Promised Day in central, to re institute Parliament, etc.

Scar: In the picture I think he is back to wearing traditional Ishvalan clothes. It makes more sense for him to assist as the Ishvalan Monk he was then to join the military, still to much bad blood there. This makes even more sense since the Ishvalan's are getting some military representation via Miles.

Excellent work Arakawa. While not 100% perfect, but what is, FMA was phenomenal.
LooneyLolita
Do anyone know if we are getting a epilogue? Must manga's ends with one C:
Snows of Yester-Year
Still kind of reeling from shock o__o I can't believe it's over. On the whole, though, I liked it. Even the parts I didn't like I was glad she included. I mean, I could have stood for more Royai, but you can't have everything. XP
gummybear
What about Mei and Scar's alchemy? Father couldn't control it. Did they need a door? I remember that Mei said that it came from a different place. Wouldn't Ed be able to learn it?
MsLinn
Well. I'm in little less shock and denial now. Can't believe I even managed to sleep. Well, I woke up at 6 am, but fell asleep again and dreamed of fruits. My mom has the best timing ever and shook me out of my post!FMA-sorrow to tell me we're moving in three months! XD

@allykatty1: I had forgotten about the doors that crumbled in that OP! Awesome.
I think the last ED with young!Hoho standing for an half minute on a rooftop reminds me of Ed here
And I've also always wondered what Ed will do for a living!

I love the panel of Den here! XD
Overall this chapter was BEAUTIFUL! Just gah! AL! And ED! And the last panel of Hohenheim!

I have realised I don't do pairings! I just go with the cannon. Like, I think EdWin is adorably cute and they fit so well together! And the proposal/declaration of love was pure joy and fluffy feeling in my stomache! And so IC! (...well, everything should be IC since it's Arakawa who wrote it, but anyway...).
But I don't make up own pairings. And I'm not overly excited by hints and such.
About Royai (everytime I see the word 'Royal' I think it says 'Royai'...), I like what's in the manga already. But I don't really expect more. Lovewise. About the characters on their own and together as companions, I felt uncomplete with this chapter and their lack of...well, interaction, until someone pointed out that they are making up for what they've done, building up Ishval again, and Roy can be the real Hero of Ishval!! <3
The exception, though, where I'm really tedious of the pairing, is Al. I cannot picture him with anyone in any fanfic, and now cannon. Yeah, I think AlMei was really confirmed there. sad.gif For other characters in books and stuff, I can go along with any pairing the author might like, but with Al...*shakes head* Yeah, I have realised that's probably 'cause I'm in the creepy fangirl phase "He's mine!!" >.<
I think the chapter lacked some bit of brotherly love, though...But that's probably because I'm spoiled with sappy, wonderful, emotional fanfics! *coughGriseldaBankscough*

And Al looked so handsome and swoonworthy, I just wanted to grab him from the screen and squeeze him! He must be my favorite character ever in any book, series, movie or anything! I am so darn happy for him!
One thing I've always been...afraid (:S) of was that Ed and Al will split up for a while. It has happened in many fanfics, and I don't like it! But alas, it doesn't seem to be for too long, and they learn new stuff to separate chimeras (like many fanfics said, too).

I am a crybaby, but I didn't cry for this chapter, until afterwords, a tiny bit, when I went to bed. I think it was the chock maybe, because I shivered instead.
I still feel a bit empty now. And lost.

And THANK YOU everyone for making this possible. For not just giving the people who know japanese and who live where they sell the magazines, the opportunity to experience this NOW, and not in a year or so! Thank you! I feel blessed.
TheSentinel
I just realized of something...

Arakawa was brilliant!

Marco creates a philospher's stone out of Amestrian Soldier's of Ishvalan decent.

That PS is given to Kimbly who uses it to kill a great many Ishvalans.

It eventually falls into Al + Marco's hands to eventually kill Kimbley and fight the conspiracy that destroyed Ishval.

Marco finally uses it to repair Roy's (he participated in the massacre) sight under terms to help rebuild Ishval.
Forsaken Love
omg i just had to mention this if no one else has allready XD But at the end one of the photos seems to show black hayate with puppies, a) i dont think male dogs hang with their offspring much, but secondly isn't black hayate neutered!? looky here http://beta.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/83/30/
Animeoldtimer
Somebody at Cloudmanga doesn't like Edwin. They cut out the last three pages of the manga!!

@Forsaken Love : Good observation! Maybe it's his "girlfriend" with the puppies. tongue.gif
Tombow
<Program Note>

QUOTE (Animeoldtimer @ Jun 11 2010, 03:19 PM) *
Somebody at Cloudmanga doesn't like Edwin. They cut out the last three pages of the manga!!

Oh my, that is a HUGE omission, to say the least. >.<
Thank you, Animeoldtimer for letting us know!! I added this info to the "ch 108 info" thread. smile.gif
Irena
Overall I'm pretty content with this chapter. The only small complaint I have is that I wish we could actually SEE the characters doing stuff, instead of just them talking about what stuff they plan to do. More interactions between characters would be nice, too, like between Roy and Ed, etc.

Like others have said, more Royai would have been nice, but at the same time I think they reached at least some sort of closure after the Envy fight and when Riza was threatened. Besides, at least we have some info about what they plan to do next; that little bit about Riza using her experience as Bradley's aide to her advantage was a detail I forgot about.

I'm cool with Scar not revealing his name, because it makes sense to me; the reason he gave was more interesting than if he had just said "oh btw my name is [x]"

Everything else = AWESOME.

Kirara
QUOTE (TheSentinel @ Jun 11 2010, 07:49 AM) *
I just realized of something...

Arakawa was brilliant!

Marco creates a philospher's stone out of Amestrian Soldier's of Ishvalan decent.

That PS is given to Kimbly who uses it to kill a great many Ishvalans.

It eventually falls into Al + Marco's hands to eventually kill Kimbley and fight the conspiracy that destroyed Ishval.

Marco finally uses it to repair Roy's (he participated in the massacre) sight under terms to help rebuild Ishval.

You know I wasn't sure that I liked that Roy used the P.Stone to get his sight back but I never thought of it this way and that really does add an extra layer to it all. I like it. smile.gif
FailToImpress
Oh my god.
I can't stop crying.

Can I just say... I am so glad I waited 5 days for this. I've just finished reading.
I will return when I have more coherent thoughts, right now I can't really process this.
edxwinryfan
The final chapter wasn't what I expected it to be, for many reasons:
- Al got his body back in a different way than I thought he would. I was expecting Hohenheim to give up his live or for Ed to give up his arm or leg. Also I don't understand how his body didn't look very thin after he put clothes on. The Ed,Al Winry hug was sweet and adorable biggrin.gif It was nice to see Ed getting Al body back,it was cute (like a brotherly love type of thing) how Ed took Al's hand and put his arm on his shoulder. It was sad that Ed had to give up his ability to use alchemy sad.gif

- The EdxWinry was good, but not great. I was a little disappointed. When I first saw the page with them hugging I was so happy, I clapped and screamed a bit tongue.gif Then when I read the chapter in English I was a bit disappointed about what Ed said. It shouldn't have been about equivalent exchange, even though it was cute how Winry was saying she'd give him her whole life. I would have liked it much better if they had said "I love you" to each other and if the hug was more passionate wub.gif It was still a happy ending and I was glad to see that Ed was the one who started the hug.

- The whole thing with Scar's name didn't make any sense. What does he mean by "I have died twice, I do not exist". His parents must have given him a name... huh.gif How did Hohenheim die? Also did Mustang get his sight back or not?? mellow.gif Overall the chapter was excellent and I was surprised that I wasn't crying when I finished reading it.
AA battery
Hey, just thought of something...

in chapter 102... (sorry about the raw, I don't have scanlations in my computer)
Click to view attachment

Maybe I am reading too much into it, but... what kind of implications was truth!Al gonna make then, about that "Your return may lead to despair filling the world"... Is it just that because Al went back, Father was able to use everyone in the country for energy to obtain god's power? Is that what Truth!Al was referring to?

Probably a stupid question but thought I'd ask to make sure anyway.

The whole thing with Scar's name didn't make any sense. What does he mean by "I have died twice, I do not exist". His parents must have given him a name... How did Hohenheim die? Also did Mustang get his sight back or not?? Overall the chapter was excellent and I was surprised that I wasn't crying when I finished reading it.

Uhhh did you read the translations yet? Mustang got his vision back because Dr. Marcoh has a philosopher's stone, so he cured Mustang in exchange to get Mustang to improve the condition with Ishbal.

As for the Scar thing, it made sense to me... I don't know how to explain it properly, but it's about their culture and religion. Scar believes that his name is a gift from god (or that sort) so because he had died twice, that same name should not follow him anymore (implication that he has been "refreshed" with a new life after dying twice), hence the old name no longer has significant meaning.

Hohenheim was almost near death after that kamehameha blow from Father by the end of chapter 106. You can tell that he couldn't heal himself anymore in chapter 107. His time was almost up by then. When Ed was trying to figure out how to bring Al back from the gate in chapter 108, he told Ed that he has the amount of "one soul" remaining in his body... so yeah, that means he is the only soul remaining in his body... no more "other souls" [read: philosopher's stone] in there. of He knew he was about to die, so he hurried to go back to Trisha's grave for his last moments.
CowAlchemist
Sorry to be dumb. ;_____;

The second to last and third to last pages, the ones with Edward and Winry.
Was that Ed's way of proposing to Winry?

Sorry for the dumb question. ;_;
Tombow
QUOTE (CowAlchemist @ Jun 11 2010, 07:38 PM) *
Sorry to be dumb. ;_____;

The second to last and third to last pages, the ones with Edward and Winry.
Was that Ed's way of proposing to Winry?

Sorry for the dumb question. ;_;

@CowAlchemist - Definitely... YES. biggrin.gif
CowAlchemist
alskdfjladsfkjalkfdjlkjadlkdsajlkasdjflaskfjasldkfjasldfjkasdlfkasj That's what I thought, but then what Winry said confused me... I thought like Ed was just saying something and Winry mistook it as a proposal.
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. My inner EdWin fangirl has been waiting years for this! ♥

And Al got his body back. ;______________________; That's amazing... That's so great.

Thank you, Arakawa-sensei, for an amazing series! ♥ Thank you for an amazing hobby/obsession that I've had for 5 years!
StormGoddess
Still can't believe it's the last chapter. sad.gif

- Father finally died! Yay! XD
- Ling & Greed scene, though cheesy, it worked on me. I can hear Ling's VA doing a good job dubbing it.
- I love Truth guy's smile here. It's not the usual "I'm gonna eat you" smile.
- Awwww Ed sacrificing alchemy. It isn't a big loss at all.
- LOL at the middle panel, everyone's faces and the extras XDDDDD
- Oh Riza fanservice XDDDD
- I like it that Roy got his sight back, and in an easy way too. He deserves it.
- I like how Hoho died just like that. I didn't like the idea of him sacrificing his life to get Al back.
- Olivia saving Scar biggrin.gif
- I'm ok with Scar not revealing his name. And they even said they'll erase his past so it doesn't matter anymore.
- Awww I almost cried when the brothers got back to Risenbool and Winry crying. happy.gif
- I'm surprised to see Selim like that.
- Grumman as Fuehrer... why not? He's gonna retire soon anyway. laugh.gif And he was probably chosen because he's the only General left? You know, the others were either captured or dead.
- LOL Alphonse you're now waaaaay hotter than your brother tongue.gif
- LOLOLOL how retarded of you Ed! ♥
- Winry proves that "whatever you give to a woman, she multiplies". XD
- EdWin babies XD
- Oh the end? sad.gif

A few disappointments but it's a great ending. This is one epic story that I'll never forget.

Thank you very much to those who brought all of these! And thank you to Arakawa! happy.gif

Now, below is my fangirl side ranting. Ignore it. XD

-----------

Because I/we can't discuss this in the RoyAi thread, I'm gonna say this here.

WHERE'S MY ROYAI? sad.gif

Seriously. I was hoping to at least "Thanks for following me now we can marry" or some good, warm talk between them. I wasn't expecting for a sweet/lovely/cheesy proposal or anything (though that would be good too).

And if it isn't enough, she cut her hair short again. Was it to indicate that she's all serious here? I mean, in the past events we've seen her hugging and holding hands with Roy (all with her hair down), which I couldn't call unprofessional or OOC, but rather, un-soldier like? Err is that even a word?

And now look at her face. LOOK AT IT. It's so serious that one wrong move and she'll give you a death glare that you'll never forget. wacko.gif

On the brigther side, we can leave the ending to fanfic writers. wink.gif
edxwinryfan
QUOTE (AA battery @ Jun 11 2010, 07:03 PM) *
Hey, just thought of something...

in chapter 102... (sorry about the raw, I don't have scanlations in my computer)
Click to view attachment

Maybe I am reading too much into it, but... what kind of implications was truth!Al gonna make then, about that "Your return may lead to despair filling the world"... Is it just that because Al went back, Father was able to use everyone in the country for energy to obtain god's power? Is that what Truth!Al was referring to?

Probably a stupid question but thought I'd ask to make sure anyway.

The whole thing with Scar's name didn't make any sense. What does he mean by "I have died twice, I do not exist". His parents must have given him a name... How did Hohenheim die? Also did Mustang get his sight back or not?? Overall the chapter was excellent and I was surprised that I wasn't crying when I finished reading it.

Uhhh did you read the translations yet? Mustang got his vision back because Dr. Marcoh has a philosopher's stone, so he cured Mustang in exchange to get Mustang to improve the condition with Ishbal.

As for the Scar thing, it made sense to me... I don't know how to explain it properly, but it's about their culture and religion. Scar believes that his name is a gift from god (or that sort) so because he had died twice, that same name should not follow him anymore (implication that he has been "refreshed" with a new life after dying twice), hence the old name no longer has significant meaning.

Hohenheim was almost near death after that kamehameha blow from Father by the end of chapter 106. You can tell that he couldn't heal himself anymore in chapter 107. His time was almost up by then. When Ed was trying to figure out how to bring Al back from the gate in chapter 108, he told Ed that he has the amount of "one soul" remaining in his body... so yeah, that means he is the only soul remaining in his body... no more "other souls" [read: philosopher's stone] in there. of He knew he was about to die, so he hurried to go back to Trisha's grave for his last moments.

Thanks for answering my questions. I wasn't sure if Mustang took the philosopher's stone or not.
paca
Only thing that is a little hangging there in my mind: Ranfan? the previous chat with Bradly??? what was that for??

QUOTE (StormGoddess @ Jun 11 2010, 09:40 PM) *
WHERE'S MY ROYAI? sad.gif

Seriously. I was hoping to at least "Thanks for following me now we can marry" or some good, warm talk between them. I wasn't expecting for a sweet/lovely/cheesy proposal or anything (though that would be good too).

And if it isn't enough, she cut her hair short again. Was it to indicate that she's all serious here? I mean, in the past events we've seen her hugging and holding hands with Roy (all with her hair down), which I couldn't call unprofessional or OOC, but rather, un-soldier like? Err is that even a word?

And now look at her face. LOOK AT IT. It's so serious that one wrong move and she'll give you a death glare that you'll never forget. wacko.gif

On the brigther side, we can leave the ending to fanfic writers. wink.gif

Subtle as always our beloved Arakawa, let's face it she said nothing 'cause all was said XD

I think that in previous chapter color page Riza was saying something like she was tired...but then FLASHBACK! and you ahve her lines -about an easy life and that she could/didn't wanted to have one without him- so there when the little little idea to give up and be "normal" arrives her mind...she just can't do it, because of him.... so arakawa just didn't put Riza oen more time saying "following you until you egt to the top"... it's pretty clear , add to that Roy saying to Grumman "to take her as my queen ? slow down Grumman xD"...and remember remember Riza somehow has said she loved him >_> -chat with Ed-.... so everything is clear... short hair: simple reasons again, angry/ not happy faces both of them: they are in Ishbal D: that makes them unhappy thought they are working in their mistakes...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.