Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chapter 108, The Final Chapter "Regular" Discussion Thread For First Time Readers (and Others)
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Manga > FMA Manga Spoiler Zone
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Chiyo
If I were to hazard a guess, they will probably animate the "future photo's". So you will see Scar talking with Miles, Ed bouncing his baby boy and it is here they might add a romantic glance or something close between RoyxRiza.

But let's not go too deeply in to this as it's anime discussion. Though I don't want you to discuss this in future episodes yet either. I'm so poor at moderating arg!
Miss MP
I guess I am a bit disappointed due to my favorite characters being put off to the side - granted they are not the "main characters" but they are damn close considering all the time and plot relevance. With recent events, it now seems quite awkward. Certain characters were given everything but others are left with "bleh". But eh, it's not my manga.

Tigerchic, your name looks so familiar . . .

BirdieNumNum
QUOTE (Chiyo @ Jun 10 2010, 03:34 AM) *
If I were to hazard a guess, they will probably animate the "future photo's". So you will see Scar talking with Miles, Ed bouncing his baby boy and it is here they might add a romantic glance or something close between RoyxRiza.

But let's not go too deeply in to this as it's anime discussion. Though I don't want you to discuss this in future episodes yet either. I'm so poor at moderating arg!

You're doing just fine, Chiyo. smile.gif

I guess I am a bit disappointed due to my favorite characters being put off to the side - granted they are not the "main characters" but they are damn close considering all the time and plot relevance. With recent events, it now seems quite awkward. Certain characters were given everything but others are left with "bleh". But eh, it's not my manga.

Considering all the focus and character development they got throughout the series, it just felt really... odd, that they would be shunted to the side like that right at the end. The fact that they pretty much end up right back where they started makes everything they've been through since the start of the series seem so pointless. Maybe my opinion will change a little once the translations are out and I can properly understand what's going on in the chapter, instead of just looking at the panels.
Kasumisty
-I may not be a hardcore Royai fan, but I felt they got really neglected (or there is something in the dialogues which would imply otherwise)
-Indeed, the dialogues! There are so many of them. I guess it's not much fun previewing the whole RAW anyway, we've got most of the key pages before. We need a scanlation/translation and know what are they talking about!
-And also the 520 cenz promise was forgotten...
-Woohoo, the title page is badass! I love how it's painted and the red/white color scheme
-No mistake in word "Alchemist" this time tongue.gif
-Uh, from what I see Ed still got all that metal plates inside his arm. It must hurt.
-Inflated Father made me giggle.
-Ling literally pulling Greed's soul was kinda...cheesy.
-Lol, Ed is blowing up sh** with his power of awesome (inspired by Kitchan's quote tongue.gif)
-Rotflmao, Father pulled inside himself...or whatever should I call it. Lookin' hillarious here.
-Father has blank gate. Did Arakawa ran out of ancient alchemy images?
-Truth!Ball!
-I love that scene with Al. It looks so sad.
-Oh, Ed recalling the failed transmutation is only adding the fuel to it.
-And now my very first favorite scene. I don't know what they're exactly saying here, but Hohenheim apologized to Ed...and then Ed cried T_T I've been waiting for this for so long. It was like, foreshadowed in the chapter when the Elrics first came back to Risenbool. I looked forward to seeing this so much. I even love it more, because Ed did it in front of Hohenheim and called him father! ;.; (Baka-oyaji, to be exact xd). But darn, Ed expression was heartbreaking and at the same time he stayed very much in the character bouncing back so quickly. I'm hoping it would be animated decently.
-So..Ed basically traded all for the knowledge he gained by the failed transmutation? I guess it makes sense. It's Equivalent Exchange, for sure.
-His smile kinda scares me o-o
-Dissapointed that Elrics didn't hug each other, but meh.
-I like how there's light instead of a darkness in the Doors. Also hoping this would be done well in anime.
-Awww. I knew Mei would accept Al the way he is.
-I didn't like Hohenheim just randomly leaving the scene, but I guess he didn't have much time and wanted to die beside Trisha. I guess.
-Is that Scar with soldier uniform I spotted?
-Uh, I hope Mrs. Bradley got some explanation instead of accepting that little thumbelina baby fetus so instantly.
-Riza in a bra \o/ I wonder what is she talking about wit Rebecca. I hope it has something to do with Roy at least...
-Roy regaining sight was kinda too easy...but logical.
-Aw, Ling beat Mei to it. I thought they will all resign from that immortality thing, though. I thought that was the one of the morals Arakawa wanted to give us - do not seek immortality, otherwise bad things will happen...
-Rotfl, Ling carrying Mei!
-Again, I hoped Hohenheim would die more...heroically.
-I wonder if Scar's name was ever revealed?
-I love Olivier's expression on 75th page.
-I like how Al is still very weak and has to take breaks in walking. It's realistic.
-The hug 1!
-Ed, you're so lazy! And not much of a handyman, like your old man tongue.gif
-I'm confused a bit about young Selim. What happened to his Philosopher's stone? Did Ed destroy it? Or maybe Kimblee? Did he really grew so much so quickly? And is that possible that he is not "evil" anymore?.'
-Uh, I've found that bit with Chimeras uneccessary. Maybe they're at least discussing something important.
-My second favorite scene is that Ed and Winry bit. I'm totally not an EdWin fan and I don't like Winry, but everything in this scene makes me smile. Ed's proposal was so Ed-ish, the humor was so Arakawa-ish (and I'm so glad it took place at the end of the manga, reminding everyone that this is comedy as well!), Ed laughing <3, and then that warm hug. Makes me all fuzzy inside.
-I guess one of my complaints will be the two last pages with the photos. But I think I've undergone the first distaste about everything being so sugary and cute and accepted it.
-The last quote. Oh my God, the last quote. It was MAGNIFICENT. Wonderful end.

....Sorry for writing that much o.o
mersaydee
I'm a little wary to use the word "disappointment" just yet in regard to my own personal feelings (because the translations aren't out yet) - but that's definitely the road down which they're headed. This does NOT mean I'm disappointed with 108 as a whole - I'm a huge Ed and Al fan (love those boys!), and I'm thrilled to see they get their happy ending. But there are FAR too many unanswered questions in regards to Roy and Riza for me to say I'm completely happy. And I'm NOT just talking about the shipping (I never expected much in the way of blatancy anyway, since Royai is a ship built on subtlety). BUT - when you think about all the time that's been devoted to these two in this manga, the time spent with them in the wrap-up is a major let-down. Only two or three pages post-battle with Riza? Maybe four or five with Roy, really?

I'd argue that Roy is the third most-important character in this series, right behind the Elric brothers. A great deal of time and care have been spent making him a really fleshed-out presence (the entire Ishbal flashback, the death of Maes Hughes and its aftermath, his team's close bond and their separation at the hands of Bradley, the 520 Cenz promise, the fight with Envy where he was pulled right to the brink, the near-death of Riza, his blindness, etc.). To see just a handful of scenes with him post-battle - and scenes that really don't seem to wrap up his story much at all, is disheartening. Why is he not Fuhrer? Will he be, in the future, or will he have to fight it out with Olivier Armstrong? Good Lord, does he get his SIGHT back? Do he and Riza ever get any help in overcoming their demons from Ishbal? Do they at least get to be happy, after all the hell they've gone through?
Kuura
QUOTE (Kasumisty @ Jun 9 2010, 11:14 AM) *
-So..Ed basically traded all for the knowledge he gained by the failed transmutation? I guess it makes sense. It's Equivalent Exchange, for sure.

Sorry, but I just have to ask this. So basically, does that mean that he can not use alchemy anymore? At all? Or is it just that clapping thing?
Kasumisty
^I understand it as that he's lost all the knowledge he gained at the Gate, so he lost the clapping ability.
BirdieNumNum
Nice post, mersaydee. You pretty much summed up my thoughts on the chapter exactly, and in a much more eloquent way than I seem capable of right now.
Animeoldtimer
I loved the ending but I have a few disappointments. I am more of an Edwin fan, but I am also a Royai fan and I feel so sad for the people who are mainly Royai fans. I just hope there's something in the dialogue to make them feel better. The Chimera's, Olivier and Scar got more attention than them. This is totally unfair in my opinion. The lack of pie was disheartening as well, though not as much as the lack of Royai. I hope the anime does more with this ending.

On the positive side, much can be left to the imagination and Royai will still live on! biggrin.gif

Wish I could ask Arakawa why.
Kasumisty
QUOTE (Animeoldtimer @ Jun 9 2010, 08:33 PM) *
The lack of pie was disheartening as well, though not as much as the lack of Royai.

From what I know, pie was mentioned when Ed was repairing that roof. Al said there that Winry baked an applepie.
Animeoldtimer
Oh, ok that's good.
zonkiethegreat
QUOTE (Kuura @ Jun 9 2010, 02:29 PM) *
QUOTE (Kasumisty @ Jun 9 2010, 11:14 AM) *

Sorry, but I just have to ask this. So basically, does that mean that he can not use alchemy anymore? At all? Or is it just that clapping thing?

Since there is no translation yet, I can't say for sure. But my opinion is that he just can't do the "clapping thing".

I have to say once again, that I am just as disappointed as many others on the lack of closure for the military personel, ESPECIALLY ROY!!! UGH!
tigerchic121
I can't wait for this chapter to be scanlated/translated fully because I think there are gonna be a whole lot of nuances in the chapter that we haven't seen yet to talk about. Right now I'm feeling so many different conflicting emotions/thoughts about the chapter. On the whole I'm just really excited and happy. I can tell this is all gonna start being bittersweet in a few weeks.

Yeah I really hope that Ed just lost his clapping alchemy ability. Because his knowledge of alchemy as a whole (minus Truth) came from his own study and persistence.

QUOTE (Miss MP @ Jun 9 2010, 01:09 PM) *
Tigerchic, your name looks so familiar . . .

Haha really? I post on a couple of other forums sometimes so that might be it...
rinoaebastel
Im..totally disappointed...even not a one word between Roy and Riza?pufffff.... 8 years of relationship for nothing? I really can't belive this. For me this don't have sense. Just hope in the anime we have something
smunton
QUOTE (mersaydee @ Jun 9 2010, 12:25 PM) *
I'm a little wary to use the word "disappointment" just yet in regard to my own personal feelings (because the translations aren't out yet) - but that's definitely the road down which they're headed. This does NOT mean I'm disappointed with 108 as a whole - I'm a huge Ed and Al fan (love those boys!), and I'm thrilled to see they get their happy ending. But there are FAR too many unanswered questions in regards to Roy and Riza for me to say I'm completely happy. And I'm NOT just talking about the shipping (I never expected much in the way of blatancy anyway, since Royai is a ship built on subtlety). BUT - when you think about all the time that's been devoted to these two in this manga, the time spent with them in the wrap-up is a major let-down. Only two or three pages post-battle with Riza? Maybe four or five with Roy, really?

I'd argue that Roy is the third most-important character in this series, right behind the Elric brothers. A great deal of time and care have been spent making him a really fleshed-out presence (the entire Ishbal flashback, the death of Maes Hughes and its aftermath, his team's close bond and their separation at the hands of Bradley, the 520 Cenz promise, the fight with Envy where he was pulled right to the brink, the near-death of Riza, his blindness, etc.). To see just a handful of scenes with him post-battle - and scenes that really don't seem to wrap up his story much at all, is disheartening. Why is he not Fuhrer? Will he be, in the future, or will he have to fight it out with Olivier Armstrong? Good Lord, does he get his SIGHT back? Do he and Riza ever get any help in overcoming their demons from Ishbal? Do they at least get to be happy, after all the hell they've gone through?

My thoughts exactly. As much as my inner fangirl screams for small Royai offspring ( i had a moment with selim, i really did. black hair, big eyes, i was thinking Royai...) I'd be more than happy with just something between them. As much as I hate to say this, something like the first anime; sweet, and showing them taking their relationship further, but not blatant marriage/smex/kids like EdWin. I have to say I'm disappointed on that front. Plus I wanted to know more about Roy's past to be honest... dry.gif

But overall, wow. Al <3 laugh.gif
black~hayate
Guys, we need a new thread for the psychic-affected Royai fans who suffered of the Royai lack in the last Fullmetal Alchemist chapter where we all will get some professional help xD Just joking.

The EdWin was so adorable. And I was really glad to have NO KISS in this manga. Admit it, it would be sooo strange! We never had one before.

And I still don't get the fetus Pride. Why he's still alive? What is the meaning of the Fetus? What's the red point on his forehead?

smunton
QUOTE (black~hayate @ Jun 9 2010, 01:20 PM) *
Guys, we need a new thread for the psychic-affected Royai fans who suffered of the Royai lack in the last Fullmetal Alchemist chapter where we all will get some professional help xD Just joking.

who's joking?! we're going to need it... dry.gif

zonkiethegreat
QUOTE (black~hayate @ Jun 9 2010, 03:20 PM) *

The EdWin was so adorable. And I was really glad to have NO KISS in this manga. Admit it, it would be sooo strange! We never had one before.

And I still don't get the fetus Pride. Why he's still alive? What is the meaning of the Fetus? What's the red point on his forehead?

Yeah what the heck is up with Pride??? What is that thing on the forehead??? ARAKAWA PLEASE JUST ONE MORE CHAPTER!! You got some explaining to do!!! LOL
Kaori Ayanami
No, YOU got some more reading to do. XD

Guys, don't jump the gun. We don't have a translation yet, let enough Japanese-readings skills to read the chapter properly (except for Tombow and a few others). Believe me, you NEED to understand what's written in the chapter to understand it as a whole.

But even without a translation, some situations are to be well understood. Just an example: For those who say Mustang had his blindness unresolved, you get to see Roy in a tent or something like that and Marco approaching with a Philosopher's stone. Long story short, Roy favors his subordinates over him. Then you see Havoc practicing walking, so...
BUT you get to see Mustang with a normally drawn eye. So it means he's not blind anymore... or I'm the blind one. XD

Terrific ending, as far as I can understand (not much XD).
Michiyo-
QUOTE (black~hayate @ Jun 9 2010, 09:20 PM) *

I agree. ;_;
Arakawa could've drawn at least one scene when Roy and Riza reunite after he got his sight back. From what I understood from the raw, Riza was still worrying about Roy's eyes while she was being treated. And we didn't even get a scene which showed them after the 2 years timeskip. It was only mentioned by Grumman that he's taking care of the East.
I'm so sad...
At least I want a Guidebook which tells us something about their future.
Hagaren_4ever
Okay. Read the full chapter. I'm mad. Yeah. I don't get mad, but I'm mad. There are so many things to be happy about, but so many things left unanswered. Why couldn't they just have 109 chapters? Well, hey, who knows? Maybe Brotherhood will have some extra stuff in there. Haha. *sigh* I'm gonna go eat until my sadness goes away.
Kaori Ayanami
QUOTE (Michiyo- @ Jun 9 2010, 01:41 PM) *
Arakawa could've drawn at least one scene when Roy and Riza reunite after he got his sight back.

She did draw a picture with them together after that, if that's what you mean. The reunion had to happen anyway, whether she drew it or not.
Showing the obvious for no good reason is the mark of a bad storyteller.

It's not about quantity... No way on earth all FMA stories got its closures shown fully. Arakawa did the right thing.

But a new guidebook would be nice. ^^
Trakonda
QUOTE (Kasumisty @ Jun 9 2010, 09:14 PM) *

-And now my very first favorite scene. I don't know what they're exactly saying here, but Hohenheim apologized to Ed...and then Ed cried T_T I've been waiting for this for so long. It was like, foreshadowed in the chapter when the Elrics first came back to Risenbool. I looked forward to seeing this so much. I even love it more, because Ed did it in front of Hohenheim and called him father! ;.; (Baka-oyaji, to be exact xd). But darn, Ed expression was heartbreaking and at the same time he stayed very much in the character bouncing back so quickly. I'm hoping it would be animated decently.

My god, he calls him father? I always got the impression that they were sort of "fighting" about Al's death and that he can't be brought back, and Ed cried and tried to deny it or something. But now with proper translation.. Aww, that scene just got 10000 times better! ;_; Darn it, someone finish translating this, please.. Like, RIGHT NOW. XD
(That being said, I seriously can't wait to see how Brotherhood does this part. And how brilliantly Romi Paku voices Ed in this scene.. I can already imagine! )

And about the Edwin part, again.. while I was secretly hoping that there would've been more, now when I think about it again, I have to agree with most of you. I'm kinda glad that they kept it this subtle. FMA has never had lovey-dovey stuff like kissing or any kind of other "sexual interaction", so a kiss would've been out-of-place here. The hug.. it's clearly gives the message that they care deeply of each other, and yet it keeps that FMA-ish of feeling to it. <3
gah I could keep going of this subject forever.. but I shall not. Waiting for translations before I open my mouth here again. XD I dare not jump into any more conclusions, since it's clearly impossible to do it with pictures alone.
Kaiko
I think I'm generally satisfied...except for the lack of Roy and Riza at the end. I'm not talking about the amount of pages that was devoted to the couple, but even just a few more pages concerning them two as separate characters would have been nice.

That being said though, I'm happy for Ed and Al. smile.gif
Michiyo-
QUOTE (Kaori Ayanami @ Jun 9 2010, 09:49 PM) *
She did draw a picture with them together after that, if that's what you mean. The reunion had to happen anyway, whether she drew it or not.
Showing the obvious for no good reason is the mark of a bad storyteller.

I know, but that's just a photo from the future, with no dialogue. I wanted a scene right after he got his sight back. Just a few panels when they discuss the events, and their future plans.

Now I can't wait for the translation. I want to understand the whole chapter, maybe I can find answers.
Kaori Ayanami
Seems this thread is not a "spoiler party" yet... Ok, spoiler tags, then. sleep.gif

WARNING: I'm not very good at Japanese, so take my thinkings with caution. So, in (a somewhat) chronological order:

Greed's end was epic. And fulfilling (for him). He finally quenched his greed, if you'll forgive the repetition.
Let me see if I understood it right... Did Greed trick and throw Ling out NOT out of greed, but in order to let him go back to Xing as the normal human he was (besides helping beat Father that way, of course)?

It seems the little one from the flask got absolute knowledge... along with absolute despair as well. (The word is "zetsubou").
The very fact that he had his own door and a lookalike Truth proves he was human all along. A terrible human, yes, but human nevertheless.

Olivia's grin screams for an avatar be made of it. A new classic, I tell you.

So the P. Stone went all the way to Xing.... Hmmm.

Ed can do no more clappy alchemy... That's OK. He got something comparatively much greater.

Roy and Riza's picture at the end seems like a past one at first sight, due to Riza's hairstyle, but it would be odd for this pic to be the only one there that's not from the future. That would be a bad move from the author, and Arakawa is not. So I conclude it's Royai future. : )

Havoc has been cured! And it's learning to walk agaaain!

Ed's declaration was the best XD. "Give half of your life". Of course it was stupid! As for Winry, she will gladly give him her WHOLE life, not just half, silly boy! XDDD

Got to say this: It is almost like the first anime ending in so many ways, yet so good at the same time! Can't believe it. Arakawa is magic.

Sorry for my lame English. You know, the rush...
I'm kind of busy here, so I'll write down about some more scenes I read later.

*Editing to add some more*

EDIT: Please, someone, talk about the chapter... sad.gif
Kaiko
QUOTE (Michiyo- @ Jun 9 2010, 01:05 PM) *
I know, but that's just a photo from the future, with no dialogue. I wanted a scene right after he got his sight back. Just a few panels when they discuss the events, and their future plans.

That's exactly what I had hoped for too. Having a nice few pages like Ed and Winry would have been awesome, but a small dialog just between them two would have made me satisfied.
mersaydee
Now granted, I'm not asking for Arakawa to spell things out for us in big, bold, letters (I can do a fair bit of reading between the lines) - but this is really too little information to be satisfying at this point, I'm sorry. A lot of people are speculating that Roy gets his sight back because of the coloring of his eyes in an admittedly not very detailed picture, which is kind of... thin, truthfully. I'm just saying that if Ed's awkward confession to Winry gets four full pages, I would have at least liked one page of Roy and Riza, post-battle, talking to each other about their new lives. I get the impression from what we've seen so far (and granted, I don't read Japanese, so I could be completely wrong here) that Roy turns down Marcoh's offer to heal his eyes using the philosopher's stone. That's the last Roy scene we see prior to the montage of photos at the end so... what the heck happens in the meantime? Are we to take it that he suddenly decided a couple of years later to get his sight healed? It just automatically came back? He's just that lucky? I'm kind of at a loss here.

Also confusing is Riza's haircut. I know, I know - it seems just an aesthetic thing, like Scar's new ponytail, but radical haircuts, especially in Japanese culture, mean something. Traditionally it indicates a loss of face or honor. Riza's longer hair seemed to be an indication of her growing up, so for her to cut it back to its more youthful look sends a somewhat confusing message.

All I'm saying is that we need more on the Roy/Riza front. mellow.gif
spectator
So, it's official! Black Hayate owned Royai.

lol. Still can't believe that the dog has better closure than Roy/Riza.

UNBELIEVABLE!!

One advice for all the Royai fans. To cure our crave on Royai, we'll just have to spam Arakawa sensei with our fanart/fanfic. One day, she will notice us. One day...
His Name is Unknown
I'm a bit surprised that those individuals bemoaning the manga endng are holding out for a more coherent resolution in the anime. In my opinion, FMA2, more than anything else, has been responsible for the rushed pace of the final arc, culminating with the abbreviated chapter 108 that we are viewing now.

I would assume we, as fans, know how Arakawa works by now - she is a competent writer with a great sense of humor, excellent memory for previously established plot points, and a dedication to her world and her characters. This less than three dimensional denouement is just not the way Arakawa does things.

Regardless of how this particular chapter evolved, I have nothing but the highest regards for her as a manga author/illustrator, and am - mostly - satisfied with the ending we received. I say mostly, because I can see where Arakawa was taking this story, and I find the conclusion to be as heart-warming as it is appropriate. These characters have more than earned their happy ending, and there is more than enough bittersweet to go around (Ed retaining his automail leg and scars from his automail surgery, the brother's being parentless, Winry's parents dying in the civil war, the genocide of the Ishvalan people and the destruction of Xerxes, Scar's trauma, Roy and Riza's lost innocence, the death of Hughes and the suffering of Gracia, Greed's passing, the death of Buccaneer and Fuu, Lan Fan's lost arm, Havoc's incapacitation, Hohenheim's death, the trauma of the Nina incident and the entire population of Armestris enduring the agony of having their souls ripped from their bodies, to name but a few). However, I do think we could have done with at least 2-3 more chapters for the sake of a more complete resolution for some of the secondary players in this epic tale.

I say this as both a critique and a praise - the feeling of incompleteness that plagues many of us, myself included, is more the 'fault' of Arakawa's skill in crafting such believable side characters than in any glaring narrative resolution in chapter 108. From what I can glean from RAW images alone, it looks like every major point which required addressing has been dealt with in the most caring manner possible in light of the time restraints imposed by the conclusion of Brotherhood. Sure, I would have loved there to be more pages, but the essentials are there (Ed's crying and resolution with his father, Hohenheim's desire to be with Trisha, the reunion of the brothers and Ed overcoming Truth's prison, Scar's heroism, Mrs. Bradley's 'son'). Also, it bears repeating that the potential nuances missing from the images may well be present in the translated dialogues. There are plenty of them in this chapter, and several scenes in particular hold great promise (Oliver's scene with Scar as a reveal of his true name, Rebecca's talk with Riza as a potential epic Royai moment...recall Rebecca's desire to find a man in Central...this could easily result in Riza saying she's found her soulmate/man/lover whatever). Indeed, it has been confirmed that the absence of the 'apple pie' sequence has already been explained through a dialogue between the brothers as they rebuild their home, so my suggestions are hardly far-fetched.

It's a shame that the finale of this great series was truncated due to the ill-conceived and executed Brotherhood...but that's just the way things are sometimes. Besides, there's always the opportunity for another gaiden story filling in gaps between the last scene and the time skip represented by the final pictures, so it's not as if this is the end-all-be-all of Fullmetal Alchemist. My current feeling is one of overall satisfaction, with an optimistic hope that the scanlation will reveal this to be an even better chapter than it already is. I think I understand Arakawa's method here...she knew there was only one chapter to work with, so she isolated the most crucial scenes (the main characters and resolutions that we HAD to see) for illustration, and left the other aspects of the story to dialogue or insinuation. I can't wait for the final translation! What a ride this series has been; it's been a pleasure to share in the enthusiasm of fellow FMA fans for the past 8 years. Thanks to everyone on these forums and Arakawa herself for all the great memories. biggrin.gif
ElricKeyblade
I have emerged from the long months of forum hiatus to say just one thing:

FMA, I'll miss you~~ ;;___;;

(LOVED the mostly happy ending by the way. Arakawa, you ROCK!)
Kaori Ayanami
Royai-only posts in the Royai-only thread, please.
QUOTE (mersaydee @ Jun 9 2010, 02:33 PM) *
Now granted, I'm not asking for Arakawa to spell things out for us in big, bold, letters (I can do a fair bit of reading between the lines) - but this is really too little information to be satisfying at this point, I'm sorry. A lot of people are speculating that Roy gets his sight back because of the coloring of his eyes in an admittedly not very detailed picture, which is kind of... thin, truthfully. I'm just saying that if Ed's awkward confession to Winry gets four full pages, I would have at least liked one page of Roy and Riza, post-battle, talking to each other about their new lives. I get the impression from what we've seen so far (and granted, I don't read Japanese, so I could be completely wrong here) that Roy turns down Marcoh's offer to heal his eyes using the philosopher's stone. That's the last Roy scene we see prior to the montage of photos at the end so... what the heck happens in the meantime? Are we to take it that he suddenly decided a couple of years later to get his sight healed? It just automatically came back? He's just that lucky? I'm kind of at a loss here.

He speaks of his subordinate (Havoc) first. Then, cut. It doesn't mean he denied the cure. Japanese style is quite the tacit type.
The photo makes it clear that Roy and Riza are still together, still serious at their posts, and still military people. The love part was all along, no need of a romantic ending. If they're together, then their love is there, sweet and subtle as always.
Note that the photo doesn't mean Roy is not (to be) Fuhrer. It just leaves it to the future. Roy and Riza are working for the future, anyway.

As for Riza's hairstyle, she changed it the first time for a simple reason. It's not such a big deal, at least in her case. But if it had a meaning, it would be that once all the trouble and thrill is over, she is back to normality... if anything.

Calm down. It's all right. ^^

EDIT: @ His Name Is Unknown: Ditto. Just want to add that the "one-chapter-ending rush" was right, because if it went any longer it would have felt dragged on IMHO.
spectator
I like all the closure except for Royai. Since this is Arakawa sensei's manga, she can end it whatever way she wants to.

But still, the last chapter gives me the same feel when I watched CoS. However, CoS at least has a tiny bit of reunion between Roy and Riza.

Can't complain. It's just an urge for more Royai fanart/fanfic. That's all.

As for Riza's short hair, It's kind of like a question someone asked me. "Your hair is so long! Why don't you cut it?"

After I cut it, "OMG! Why did you cut your hair? I am really not used to see you in short hair."

lol. Why cut the hair? Just want to cut it.
Lt.Riza_Bishop
I wrote in this forum ages ago (my english is really bad so I usually just read posts >///<) but after reading the last chapter I really want to share my thoughts.
I am a big big biiiig fan of FMA and I've been following it since 2006, when it came out in Italy for the first time.
I am really greatfull for all your work, your translations and scans are like gold for me!!! But now that everything is ended it's just like I feel a big hole in my chest.
Let me explain:
I am a huge fan of Royai!!! Really, this relationship always gave me something special. Reading about their past and all their difficulties along the story was something that I loved :-D So now I just feel exactly like mersaydee wrote!! Of course I'm really happy for Ed, Al and Winry, these pages were awesome (As all the manga is!! No, way better!!), Arakawa really did a GREAT job; but just thinking that those few images in a "hospital" without a dialogue between them are going to be the last images of my favourite characters in absolute makes me feel really sad...I've waited 4 years to know what they really though about the other but now..it's all over, and we know nothing :'( (Ok they're still together in the military but, really, WHAT to they really think about the other?? It's true or it's just my immagination?)
Maybe I'm too much addicted to this, poor me xDD
But...
Why Arakawa WHY?????? ____
(By the way I will continue to love this manga with all my heart for the rest of my life XDD And thanks again to the moderators and all the people in this forum!!!! biggrin.gif)
spectator
^I think Arakawa sensei's reply will be... "The world is not perfect. That's why it is so damn beautiful." laugh.gif
Matsui
After being member here for awhile I haven't been in the forum expect once a month. *cough* And now it's to late to try. Well, well.

I'm, as many of you, very disappointed at the lack of Royai. *sigh* Why would she end it like this after all this years, with all that teasing?

But as said, we don't have the translations. It might be something yummy hiding there. But I was hopping for more then that...
Lt.Riza_Bishop
QUOTE (spectator @ Jun 9 2010, 11:00 PM) *
^I think Arakawa sensei's reply will be... "The world is not perfect. That's why it is so damn beautiful." laugh.gif

Ahahaha of course!!! XDD
Gimpyhair
About Roy and Riza (as a pairing or as individual): it's really sad that my only hope for some kind of conclusion now is that the anime will add something in Brotherhood. Really. We know more about Yoki or the chimeras than about Roy or Riza!

Oh well, I'm happy for Selim and Mrs Bradley's conclusion smile.gif
His Name is Unknown
...I just realized something...

I might have to change my user name once the scanlations are released!!! laugh.gif

That just got me excited all over again for a proper translation. I've been wondering about Scar's real name for ages.
Ezupio
I'd like to thank everybody who contributed in sharing the raw.

Now about this chapter...
Firstly, it's strange, there has to be a gap between pages 02 and 03, where is Father's monstrous body gone? And it's also strange to see Greed all of a sudden without any warning or any word from Father before he attacks him (I know he was there but still it looks like he was dropped here).
I can't say if I'm happy or sad, I'm waiting for translations to say (I'm especially longing to know what Father and Truth talk about).

Can't say it's a bad ending, but... some things definitely look odd, some things really look left behind, it's strange and not really Arakawa-ish IMO.
tigerchic121
QUOTE (Gimpyhair @ Jun 9 2010, 04:28 PM) *
About Roy and Riza (as a pairing or as individual): it's really sad that my only hope for some kind of conclusion now is that the anime will add something in Brotherhood. Really. We know more about Yoki or the chimeras than about Roy or Riza!

Oh well, I'm happy for Selim and Mrs Bradley's conclusion smile.gif

Welllll to be fair, I think we know more about Yoki than we do about Royai, but saying we know more about the whole chimera circus bunch than Roy or Riza isn't fair. Sure we don't (as of known) know what exactly is happening with Roy's eyesight, why Riza cut her hair, or exactly where Roy is in fufilling his quest to become Fuhrer and make a change (to which I think the answers are he got it back, it doesn't really matter, and that he's next in line respectively). But we do know the important things about the two (individually and together. We know that Roy may have gotten his sight back and/or he's given Havoc the ability to walk again. We know that Roy and Riza are both okay and alive and not being persecuted for their crimes in Ishval. But most importantly, and one of the reasons that I'm not as disappointed as I was initially, is that, in the end, they're back in the roles we know and love them in (with a promotion perhaps) and what's more is that they're standing there, doing their work, as always, together.

Not that I'd be against a guidebook or whatever. I'm always up for the fluff/the hilarity/generally anything fullmetal alchemist.

QUOTE (His Name is Unknown @ Jun 9 2010, 04:30 PM) *
...I just realized something...

I might have to change my user name once the scanlations are released!!! laugh.gif

That just got me excited all over again for a proper translation. I've been wondering about Scar's real name for ages.

Bahahaha. That's really funny.
paca
@Kaori Ayanami: future pic is the one with Roy because of the general in chief (?) position lol

@tigerchic121: where Roy is in fufilling his quest to become Fuhrer ? well, have to read chat with Marcho , but I think he is directly fixing the damage with Ishbal "Marcoh was saying he'll let him use the Philosopher's Stone if he'll set up a new Ishbal policy to bring the Ishbalans back to their homeland"... much more important than sitting on a chair in cEntral :/ ... and he is the correct one to put the head down and with humilty afce the fact
and that will make him more reliable... 'cause Grumman didn't get promoted as a hero or a great man just because Bradly was never stated as an evil one....
all is in the shadows and there it will stay

Well first of all I think that as Arakawa had said with the other anime, animes keep her busy...or she sell her soul end to Bones xD
Nono, now talkging seriously: she has always been subtle but what made me expact more of this chapter was her own words:

1) "The ending will become the content that destroys and gets over the principle of the equivalent exchange."
Just in Ed's words hide in his line, it's : love~~ <3

2) "Mustang battles in Central in the vol. 22 though, the reason that he kills nobody is because 'He looks resolutely forward, so Mustang thinks he had better give the other martialists a clean image to be prepared for becoming a Fuhrer.'"
well , now add taking care of Ishbal people as he had promised Marcho and tehre you have! You are totally prepared...

3)"I wanted to show the thing the minor figure also does one's best, and I'm surprised myself that Darius and Heinkel take charge of very active part more than I imagined."
ok, we now, you love the chimeras >_>...but that much?!

4)"The ending will become a little long way off than I thought because the stories that I want to draw have increased." >_> ... I want moarrr~~ but wait, this was concerning the number of chapters...so the "end" is not just at the end... she has been tidying thing up to now... read carefully... I know everyone want a clear and direct line...but you can't always get what you want D:

5) she seems to be mortifying Mustang's popularity.She says "Maybe it's because I have Ed's viewpoint 'He pisses me off'. lol hahha

6)Q: The original work has entered its final chapter, so please tell us your feelings toward the final chapter and its highlights.

A: Once entering the final chapter, I want to show the sense of speed, so I am drawing it at about 1.5 times the density of the previous chapters. Concerning the story, I've decided who is going to fight whom, but I still haven't decided what the fights will be like. For that part, I would like to enjoy it with the same feeling as the readers while I am drawing. I've been wanting to draw the final episode that's been polishing up in my head for so long, and that's what I've been working toward up to now, so it would be great if I could get there as planned. After all, I want the characters who've worked so hard to be happy, and I want to properly give the characters who will be defeated in battle their own place to end.....

I feel as if the end is not only in the last chapter, it's in all the promise day.....
To remember Arakawa has always been subtle...I think that some characters did't have a "closed" ending like, Ling joining Xiang or the 520 cts. promise...'cause all that was already a fact, real, and meant to happend... in Ed's case...well he gets extra attention the lucky main character xD, he deserved it! In Roy's case, well last chapters he had many many attention and a color page totally "random" or we can see it as a foreshadowing of his future after reaching the top??? or tell me why she would make a flashback in color for that???? it was his "end" after Grumman's retairment (who will ask for Roy to be the next because of the stars and more and more reasons~~ chess game? yes Grumman sat down and do "nothing" but I think that Roy knew that he was over him >_>)
I wanted to know more about Ling for example xD

To Roiai fans, lets face it, Roy himself said, to Grumman to slow down, that he still had a long way to go to take your grand daughter as the queen xDDDDDDD...
TheSentinel
I have not yet seen the whole chapter yet, and of course I haven't seen the translation yet... that said... Everything looks very good over all.

In regards to Roy / Riza:
If the time between battle and the "end" is 2 years, that's a bit quick to move someone from Colonel to Fuhrer. Also as long long as Arakawa doesn't blatantly kill Royai you can't consider it a loss. (EDIT) That of course doesn't make it a victory sad.gif (/EDIT)

My preemptive 2 cents.
paca
QUOTE (TheSentinel @ Jun 9 2010, 07:04 PM) *
I have not yet seen the whole chapter yet, and of course I haven't seen the translation yet... that said... Everything looks very good over all.

In regards to Roy / Riza:
If the time between battle and the "end" is 2 years, that's a bit quick to move someone from Colonel to Fuhrer. Also as long long as Arakawa doesn't blatantly kill Royai you can't consider it a loss.

My preemptive 2 cents.

totally agree, that photo = 2 years = roy in Inshbal... still a long way to go...or at last a couple of years more...2 years already tired Grumman xDDDD
_Jelly
The word of the day is disappointment.

Actually I havent even looked at the new pages yet, I just feel disappointed from reading this discussion alone.

):
Sensenic
For some reason Greed's sacrifice felt kinda unneeded for me.

After all there was the whole plot line about homunculi and humans being able to live together in peace. The Pride/Selim thing compartively feels kind of off... but it still is appropriate.
Pride is definitely still a homunculus, that's why his "red dot" and his euh... abilty to grow from fetal state without any womb whatsoever? happy.gif;

Did Ed lose only the clappy alchemy?

I also doubted whether Ed had given away only the clappiness too, but after re-reading it again, nope, he gave up also the ability to do alchemy at all.
Yes, he keeps his not-from-the-doors alchemic knowledge... but without the doors within him, alchemy he can not perform. Keeps the theory, loses the practice. u.u

Al and Izumi, though, that's a whole other story. And Roy got away with clappy alchemy and no toll! (except for some human souls who wanted to be relieved from their suffering anyway. sleep.gif; )

I absolutely loved the final photos. Black Hayate and Den? Really? XD
And Yoki Circus was just great. XDDD

And Hohenheim's grave has no dates. sad.gif
I know it would've been really cheesy, but I kinda wanted to see sth like "200 - 1916" tongue.gif

QUOTE (Kasumisty @ Jun 9 2010, 08:14 PM) *
....Sorry for writing that much o.o

Not at all! May I chain-quote you, Kasumisty? happy.gif;

-And also the 520 cenz promise was forgotten...

sad.gif

That whole scene... kinda eh...
Although it was noble from Greed, and gave him good closure.

As I see it, he was part of the thing all along ("I don't want to go back!"), that just kind of got "humanized" and given its own soul/identity/consciousness via 23's blood.
I guess his door being blank kinda simbolizes/fits into that... somehow. happy.gif;

-I didn't like Hohenheim just randomly leaving the scene, but I guess he didn't have much time and wanted to die beside Trisha. I guess.

I loved Hohen's closure. He never was a very social man, and I guess he knew his countdown was ending soon so decided to waste no time.
In particular, his fear of death at the last time, besides his willingness to finally die, was a masterful touch. ;_;

-Roy regaining sight was kinda too easy...but logical.

Yup.

-Aw, Ling beat Mei to it. I thought they will all resign from that immortality thing, though. I thought that was the one of the morals Arakawa wanted to give us - do not seek immortality, otherwise bad things will happen...

Well, in fact they did not seek immortality... The morale perhaps would be "if you fool your king with sth resembling/hinting to immortality, but let him die anyway later, you will get to be his heir" XD

No... sad.gif
Although he does get a closure on that by getting a new name, it's a small let down.

-I'm confused a bit about young Selim. What happened to his Philosopher's stone? Did Ed destroy it? Or maybe Kimblee? Did he really grew so much so quickly? And is that possible that he is not "evil" anymore?.'

His PS was (somehow? o_O ) "crushed" by Ed with all its souls (Kimbley included) disappearing on the spot. For some reason, that reverted him to an innocent child-like state.
Must keep in mind that his soul is still the original fragment from Father keeping all its pride (pride in being a homunculus and looking down on "foolish" inferior humans among others).
But then again he already showed a soft spot for his mummy, and being brought up by her, who knows...

I'd definitely like to see what he grows up into. Arakawa did a nice closure on this one.

-Uh, I've found that bit with Chimeras uneccessary. Maybe they're at least discussing something important.

Very! Shows that every character is important and how Ed and Al get on with their lives.
(Even if that means no future Roy scene, yes happy.gif; )

All in all, I loved it a lot.
Might have wanted to see it last one or two chapters more too, though. But it is a very good finale.

EDIT: Whooops, spoiler'd.
AA battery
I cried for nearly 30 minutes (how long it took me to slowly read 108).

I'm disappointed by the lack of Royai and the excessiveness of EdWin.

And I am sure Tombow or HB are working on the translations... so I'm not going to bother. ^^;;

What I like:

- Ed cried and told Hohenheim not to say stupid thing like sacrificing himself for Alphonse.
- Hohenheim didn't end up sacrificing himself for Alphonse as most people have guessed, so it was nice.
- Greed sacrificed (sorta) himself to his friends and comrades, and helped defeated Father for his friends. Greed I will forever remember you ;v; Though it's... haha quite cheesy.
- Ling promised Mei that the Yao family will always protect them.
- Truth!Homunculus is awesome.
- Hohenheim borrowed money and didn't return it XD
- I loved Hohenheim's happiness face in front of Trisha's grave... ;v; He finally died in happiness. I am so happy for him. I feel like tearing up whenever I look at that page.
- Ed did NOT get his leg back.
- Al got married off to Shin LOLOLOLOL <--- j/k but ah, he can't deny it lol.

What I like but didn't like at the same time:

- Ed took Al back by trading "alchemy"... Well, it makes sense but... it just didn't feel epic. D:
- Wait, Ed and food-deprived!Al is same height?!?!??! XD; Aren't you are little too tall Al?
- Scar: "I have died twice, so I am a human that don't belong in this world. It's fine without a name. You can call me whatever you like." <--- very cool, but I want to know your name geez XD;
- Roy got his vision back thanks to Dr. Marcoh... Hmm I don't know, I think I'd prefer that he get his vision back via the Truth or something, but it is also true that there is nothing he can use to "trade" with Truth... so I agree that Marcoh + Philosopher's stone makes sense.
- Little Selim... I don't know. It is very heart-warming that Mrs. Bradley decided to keep him but... how? What did Ed exactly do to Pride that... he'd lose all his "evilness" and has the heart of a human???
- Ling is already the Emperor of Xing. That's fast o_o
- Damn, Ed's alchemy skill = the whole Alphonse? I swear that's not equivalent. Yes yes I know that Ed at the end denied the law of equivalent trade but STILL. 10 years of studies = Whole Alphonse? Really? Poor Al you are so worthless. =P

What I didn't like:

- Uhhhh "Father" in the first page is pretty unappetizing XD;; I almost threw up lol.
- The photo with Ed and Winry's kids really killed me...
- GIMME MY ROYAI. NEED MOAR ROYAI.
- Dammit Roy, you lost your vision for a few hours and you get to use clap alchemy for the rest of your live. You lucky bastard. XD

Over all... it's still a good ending.

I want that FMA chess set, but uhh $107 USD... are you kidding me?
Kaori Ayanami
QUOTE (Sensenic @ Jun 9 2010, 04:53 PM) *
For some reason Greed's sacrifice felt kinda unneeded for me.
[..]
[..]
Although it was noble from Greed, and gave him good closure.
You got to read the scene to get it right... There is a lot of bragging with serious undertones in this manga (well, in many mangas). Here it's the same.
Ling said he went through living in him... in order to become emperor. Of course, he thinks he's a friend he won't let go. So Greed decides that lowering his goal from being kind of the world to be king of Xing is not such a bad thing... or so thinks Ling. Actually, Greed decided to save his friend from being dragged into Father. Not that it stops him from teasing Ling about his actual lying ability.
When he gets sucked, he helps weaken Father. He knows it will cause his own death. But it doesn't matter, since that way he got to save the friends he wanted so much AND end his life and thirst, which otherwise could be eternal.

I also doubted whether Ed had given away only the clappiness too, but after re-reading it again, nope, he gave up also the ability to do alchemy at all.
Yes, he keeps his not-from-the-doors alchemic knowledge... but without the doors within him, alchemy he can not perform. Keeps the theory, loses the practice. u.u
Interesting. I didn't think it that way. Makes perfect sense.
Anyway, it's a good ending for him. Transmutation is for lacking people, it seems. XD

Black Hayate and Den? Really? XD
What??? Are you sure it's Den?

I know it would've been really cheesy, but I kinda wanted to see sth like "200 - 1916" :P
The first date is most probably unknown. It may had have to be written "? - 1916". XDDD

As I see it, he was part of the thing all along ("I don't want to go back!"), that just kind of got "humanized" and given its own soul/identity/consciousness via 23's blood.
I guess his door being blank kinda simbolizes/fits into that... somehow. ^_^;
I think something different. IMHO, he was human from the very beginning, just got his body crushed but got back to a physical state thanks to slave 23's blood. If he wasn't human, he wouldn't have a gate and a lookalike Truth, would he?
The blank door, as I understand it, is the life knowledge he got or something like that. That's why it's blank: he didn't learn a thing. XD

I loved Hohen's closure. He never was a very social man, and I guess he knew his countdown was ending soon so decided to waste no time.
In particular, his fear of death at the last time, besides his willingness to finally die, was a masterful touch. ;_;
I didn't notice that. Got to check it.

No... :(
Although he does get a closure on that by getting a new name, it's a small let down.
A new name, really? Got to check that too.
AA battery
QUOTE (Kaori Ayanami @ Jun 9 2010, 04:45 PM) *
A new name, really? Got to check that too.

My translation of that line if you are interested.
Scar: "I have died twice, so I am a human that don't belong in this world. It's fine without a name. You can call me whatever you like." <--- very cool, but I want to know your original name geez XD;
mersaydee
Wow, what a roller coaster of emotions I've been on today! First off - thank you, thank you, thank you to all the people who have valiantly translated parts of this chapter. I know it's been a bear, and that there is a ton of stuff to go through - but know that your efforts are appreciated! biggrin.gif You have lifted this lady's spirits, you don't even know. laugh.gif

First off - the translations have COMPLETELY changed how I feel about the ending with Roy and Riza. Am I still kind of disappointed that we didn't get more scenes with them together? Well, yes, as I am a Royai fan, after all. BUT - knowing that Roy does take Marcoh's offer to have his sight fixed, for the "price" of restoring Ishbal to its former glory - well, that makes me feel great inside. What I've wanted most for Roy and Riza, all this time, is for them to finally heal the scars of Ishbal and forgive themselves for what they did there. This is perfect! The idea that Roy and Riza will have an active hand in rebuilding the lives and homes of the Ishbalan people feels so right, and that Roy can one day become Fuhrer without fearing his own incarceration or execution, but claim the title as the TRUE hero of Ishbal, the man who helped rebuild what was once lost. It's a very poetic wrap-up for him, and... as disappointed as I was earlier today, I am thrilled now. Arakawa is indeed a genius.

However, if Miss Arakawa would like to do a gaiden, omake, or special book regarding Roy and Riza, you know I wouldn't mind... biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.