Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Episode 60: Eye Of Heaven, Gateway Of Earth - Content Discussion Thread
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Anime
Pages: 1, 2
Chiyo
Talk-back/content discussion for English dubbed episode on Adult Swim starts on page 5. smile.gif

Please post the discussions on the content of episode 60 here.
This thread is declared as a Spoiler zone for the content of the first 60 episodes.

Please don't ask for links on where to watch this episode, raw or subbed. Discussions on 'where to watch' belong in Where/How to Watch FMA Series 2. Don't post screencaps unless highlighting something important about the content of the episode. Just like on in most area's of the board, avoid one line posts, spam of any kind or conversations between two members.

Screenshots: see amestris_stars post

Summary: Denny Brosh reuintes with Maria Ross at the radio station, where Mrs. Bradley wonders about her husband. In Father's lair, May challenges Father and the Elric brothers take on Pride. Father effortlessly repels May, hurting her. Ishbalans set up drawn alchemy arrays around Central. Wrath and Scar exchange blows, with Scar revealing that he has an array on his left arm now, and can use alchemy. Edward tells Alphonse to assist her while he handles Pride on his own. Izumi assists in fighting Father, but Father has had enough and restrains his sacrifices. The eclipse occurs, and Father explains that the world is like a lifeform, and he plans to open its Gate. Suddenly, Greed attacks, but Father makes his way to the true center of his array and activates it. The five sacrifice's Gates repel each other and cause the Gate of the world to open, taking the lives of the people in Amestris as energy to open the Gate. Father calls on the "God" of the Gate and pulls it down to absorb it © Penguintruth, taken with permission from his blog

*WARNING*

Please follow these simple rules;

-Do not spam.
-Add spoiler tags to spoilers
-Do not go off topic
-Do not fight

Spam means one line posts that contain little content. "OMG that ep was so cool" would be an example of spam. If you enjoyed the episode please specify what you enjoyed so much, was there anything you didn't like?

Spoilers mean anything you know will happen in upcoming episodes. Not everybody reads the manga and you may reveal something they didn't know. For future episode discussion, please go to the relevant topic. If you are unsure how to use spoiler tags, please ask.

Going off topic means discussing a characters actions outside of the episode, or talking about the artwork, or upcoming episodes etc. I know this can happen easily so don't be upset if I move your posts or guide you in the right direction. Double check the forum for the right place to take your post, or if required, start a new topic.

Everybody can voice their opinion, and nobody is correct just as nobody is incorrect. Because none of you will spam (right?) people will justify why they didn't like something. You are welcome to say "well I like that part because..." but you CAN NOT say "no you are wrong because..."
penguintruth
My initial thoughts:

- Speed lines!
- Am I only one who thought the dagger thing was too silly?
- Is this some new music?
- I'm convinced that Wrath is Bones' favorite character, because whenever he's around there's a huge animation boost.
- I still wonder when Scar had time to get that other tattoo
- Lol, finger gun... wait, should he be doing silly things like that? He's the ultimate baddie, stop being so... cartoonish!
- ED HEADBUTT!
- OH SHI- GREED!
- I love how the diagram on Father's workbench is the activator. And how nothing else on the workbench is disturbed when he uses it.
- It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fi--*URK* *falls over*
- I KNOW, I KNOW I'VE LET YOU DOWN, I'VE BEEN A FOOL TO MYSELF, I THOUGHT THAT I COULD LIVE FOR NO ONE ELSE...
- LOLWUT?
- And there's your cliffhanger!

That last part gave me chills. CHILLS. I will have nightmares for sure.
RaphieL
Just finished watching it, It was totally what I expected.

-Ross's reunion, yay!
-Scar vs. Bradley, meh, could have been better.
-Edward knows how small people fight.
-Eyecatchers. Yay May chan, meh winry.
-Last fma Shonen gangan ad. ;_:
-Totally forgot about greed re-appearing.
-* music starts Playing lapis philosophorum* Awesome.
-Got chills in my spine with the whole fusing with god thing.
-Wha? it ended? O_O

In conclusion, a very good episode.
Michiyo-
- So they finally included the Denny & Maria reunion. It was cute.
- Go May!
- Here are the Ishbalans with their super secret plan.
- I like the new music.
- Bradley vs. Scar. The animation is great. And here comes the surprise attack.
- And finally Ed is doing something.
- Lol, Fatherís gun.
- Great fight scenes again. But itís time for something epic.
- And now everyoneís soul is pulled away. Very creepy. Lapis Philosophorum suits well these scenes.
- Itís ending here?
It was a great episode. Lots of new music, awesome animation, epic events. Canít wait for the next one.
amestris_star
All the second half of the chapter gave me the chills... oh my God... I need this in HQ so much.

Plus, the GanGan ad just made matters worse.

amestris_star
http://randomc.net/2010/06/06/fullmetal-al...brotherhood-60/

Random Curiosity screenshots are up smile.gif
Forsaken Love
Screenshots sure look epic, the animation looks gorgous! Can't wait to see it! Feels a bit weird seeing this animated though, it wasn't that long ago we were reading it in the manga! whaaa it's all coming to an end ;___;
Flamez_Freak
Episode 60 is the product you get when tomokatsu nagasaku (eps 53,43,26) and hiroki kanno (main artist , ep54) work together . .
_Jelly
Watching all the coolest characters drop dead isn't very pleasant... I liked the very end though... reminded me of Evangelion SO much.
Vlyse
Wow this episode was insane.

-Surprised/glad they kept in Denny/Maria's reunion. Thought they'd cut it out.
-Enjoyed the addition of May's surprise alkhestry attack on Father, which without knowing he can transmute without moving, she decided to attempt a foot in his face.
-Wrath vs Scar was okay. Scar didn't trip on a puddle of blood. I think this was my least favorite part of this fight anyway.
-Lol, Father is a little crazy with that eye gun.
-Ed vs Pride animation is noticeably similar to their fight in episode 48, but I don't mind.
-Disappointed with Pride's cheek being destroyed rather than his eye. Though, it's unclear if it's just the cheek, since he continues to cover that whole side of his face. We might not get Batman Pride now. (Seriously, that's who that scene reminded me of!)
-Greed's appearance was a shock (well, as best as it can be for knowing it would happen) and the music for it was pretty intense. Overall, the music arrangements this episode is one of the best in the series.
-And the nationwide circle is activated. Seeing everyone "die"...sucked. Father is ginormous! Though I prefer Chapter 104's cliffhanger, this one was nice, too.

As for the preview, episode 61 looks insane as well, if not more so. While I was disappointed with how DBZ it got in Chapter 105, it promises to look pretty amazing next episode.

Broken Chouchou
Oh man, this looks cool.
Chiyo
Not that anybody has yet, but as before BE CAREFUL WITH SPOILERS. Yes many of you know what's coming, but remember to hide it from our members who don't read the manga.

Can we also take care not to spam? If you haven't seen the episode yet but have posted, EDIT THAT POST to add your thoughts once you have seen the episode, rather than make another post. If not, I might simply merge your posts. It's just to keep the forum tidy and easier for people to see other peoples thoughts on the episode.

hilary and Thalogens - I have removed your posts. It is nothing personal! To keep up with the rest of the forum we are trying to avoid ANY 108 spoilers. Thus any images related to 108 are to be links only. Since not everyone will see the adverts in the middle of this episode, not everyone will see these images. Please discuss the cover at the moment at Waiting For The Next Fma Manga Chapter!
hawkflame
I didn't see the episode yet; did they actually do -all- of 104? Based on the randomc screenshots, it looks like they may have cut off before reaching the end of the chapter.

Edit: I just saw the episode, and yeah while it does cut off a little from the end of the chapter, I do think it was extremely well done. Even though they basically put two chapters into this it really didn't feel that rushed. The scene of Father activating the circle and opening the gate was pure High Octane Nightmare Fuel, and I found it all the more shocking- it didn't have the shot of Gracia and Ellicia on the ground but the images of Paninya, the people of Liore, and others made up for it. Exactly how I imagined it would play out; only I wish it covered the last couple of pages of 104 too.

I'll have to watch it again.
FailToImpress
This episode was awesome.
Sometimes, things just make more sense animated. I love reading manga and all, but personally I find that it's a little hard to judge how panels flow from one to the other. Maybe it's my lack of imagination. Who knows, but it definitely looked so cool animated.

And creepy... SO creepy.
Bag of Magic Food
QUOTE (Vlyse @ Jun 6 2010, 06:07 AM) *
Greed's appearance was a shock (well, as best as it can be for knowing it would happen) and the music for it was pretty intense.

Was the music for Greed's entrance pulled from Psycho or what?
Chiyo
Bag - funnily enough I thought exactly the same thing.

The best way to explain how I felt about this episode is, at the start my mouth was wide enough to squeeze a grape in, by the end you could have slotted a grapefruit in there.

- Hurray for Mei and really having her moment. Though she ends up hurt she really is a little fighter.
- Paku Romi proving why she cannot be beaten as Ed. "His" voice has matured as he has and such a thing can't be too easy to get right.
- Same for Winry at this point. The people of Amestris falling was painful to hear, and I think hers was a good "final voice".
- Winry as eyecatch though? Random.
- I agree with FailToImpress. This was epic in the manga but, when done so well, it is spine tingling animated.
sidekick.kep37
lol, Psycho! The first thing I thought of when I heard of the track actually was this track (at around 1:05, I suppose) from the Halo 3 game.

Thoughts:
- Awww, Denny and Maria meet up. lulz at Denny.
- Mei, you are WAY out of your league fighting Father.
- Gotta love them Ishbalans running around trying to carry out their plans. happy.gif
- I didn't really like the Scar v. Wrath. It looked more like action lines than actual movement to me. But then again, I didn't like this portion of their fight in the manga either. But Wrath still looks like, well, a rather angry person. So that's always cool.
- The FatherGun... um, no. Not really. It looked rather lame.
- Ed v. Pride: Um, this looks strangely familiar. :/
- Wait, bloodgush? Did this happen in the manga and was there really that much of it? o.o
- Of course Father was just playing with them!
- That general is really freaking out... but then again, I would too if I knew I could save my life simply by moving to the "center"
- Hey, Greed. Loved the music that waltzed in with you. Very... freaky.
- JK! The center's here on my piece of paper tongue.gif
- Zomg, the music here for when the "world is ending" is excellent. It's creepy, but I love it!
- And now everyone's dying and Lapis Philosophorum is playing! Excellent. >:D
- Truth sucking in God: Well that was nothing short of brilliant. It was disturbing and just plain freaky.

A very interesting episode. If I was a random viewer who decided to tune into the show one day, I'd be "WTF"'d and hooked.
amestris_star
I've seen it again with Kale this evening, and made me have goosebumps all over again <3

Such an awesome rendition of that manga chapter... seriously.

Bag of Magic Food
QUOTE (sidekick.kep37 @ Jun 6 2010, 02:38 PM) *
The FatherGun... um, no. Not really. It looked rather lame.

I thought it was funny! It looked like the kind of gun that should fire Bullet Bill.
sidekick.kep37
^ Okay, okay. I can see that, especially with Bullet Bill. FatherGun was funny, but in a lame way. Like pick up lines. Yeah.
Broken Chouchou
The gun was not in the manga I take it? My memory is a bit hazy.

The little we got from Scar vs. Bradley looks alright, nothing overly spectactular. But I remember feeling exactly the same when reading the manga. I was a bit let down at how unimpressive it was (the anime is definitely on par here at least, might even be a bit better). But then came the final stage, in which there were some serious epic moments. So my hopes lies with that Bones will follow the manga's path, and get the next part of the battle right. For now, this was okay, but nothing special.

Laphis Philosorum was a great choice for music, a trademark sort of song of Brotherhood and it felt very fitting. It's a bit sad and really dramatic, and since it was a while since we last heard it, it has even more effect. I even got a little nostalgic, because I started thinking of episode 1, where the song is heard for the very first time. But the 'Psycho' music I think could have been better for the 'swallowing' sequence rather than the track in use. We've heard that one more than a couple of times before, haven't we?

I've only watched the raw of this episode, so may have some more thoughts after having found a sub.

EDIT - More comments after having watched the sub. Not anything I didn't get without the subtitles though, but meh... just felt like commenting a little some more. Lulz.

- I loled at Father's "Are you gonna break my home again?" and all his weird sounds and expressions when he attacks/does stuff. I for one liked the gun. And I love the face makes when he asks "dudes, did you ever think about THAT??", with that one big ol' eye, when he talks about the gate.
- Aww, Xiao Mei running after her hurt master :'( Brave but stupid Mei.
- And Ed called her by name, a sign that things just took a turn for the graver.
- Wow, that blood spurt is really... if I didn't know better, I'd think that Ed would have, if not died, as established that they won't kill him, at least lost some pounds of meat.
- And then is the transmutation scene, which I've already commented on. I agree that it's a lot easier grasping what's going on with Father here than in the manga. But the manga showed Father going through the earth's gate down in his lair, before coming out on the other side in the sky, didn't it? Or am I mistaken?

I'll conclude by saying this episode was pretty great. The music was put to perfect use, animation was better than it's ever been, and it was full of general awesomeness.
ShadowCat17
The sub is already out, which you can find in all the usual places

The Wrath/Scar disappointed a little, but only in comparison with the utter epicness of the second half. That was some freaky stuff. FMA just went Evangelion on your a** lol. I do wish they would have left the cliffhanger the way it was in the manga though, with Sephiroth!Father lol
deet-tastic
-Oh Denny. I lawled.
- Poor Colonel Useless. What makes is so funny is that you had that nickname before all of this.
- MEI! That was.. really awesome biggrin.gif You go girl!
- concerned alphonse is concerned, for his love is injured!!
-"Ishvalans are appearing all over the city" LOLSUPRISE I'M ABOVE YOU!
-Silly lady, they're not here to rape you and devour your soul. They just want to look at their map.
- What I love about Brotherhood animating this, is you can see that it really is actually getting darker as the sun disappears
behind the moon. In the manga, it was hard to picture that. Ya know?
-THIS NEW MUSIC IS AWESOME AND I LOVE IT
- If only I could film my facial reactions. I must have the biggest grin on my face watching Scar fight Bradley. I love...I can't even find the words to express how awesome this is.
-Bradley puking blood from the stress on his wounds was brilliant
-YESS YES YES YES AND THUS SCAR REVEALS HIS ARM! Oh heck yeah!
-The episode could end here, and I'd be happy. Forget everyone having their souls sucked out!
-May and Xiao eyecatches look awesome. Winry?? Random.
-(Hohenheim: Little girlie look out! His finger is awesome! Father: LUL-PALM-FACE SHOVE.) I giggled. biggrin.gif
-I laughed out loud though when Father made is little "Ooohhh" noises at Alphonse. But kept firing. That was awesome XD
-Oh-HOH. Bones you lazy studio. That's recycled footage, and I know it is.
-Wow Edo, that was a bloody gush of blood.
-Alphonse showing he is better than the first animes Alphonse.
-HEAD-BUTT! Haha, your face fell off.
-Yay! Izumi's crossbow. I loved that manga panel, good to see it put to use!
-Would have made my day if they had Clemin foaming at the mouth. biggrin.gif
-Hey Greed! How you doin!
-Manga panel of happy Pride. Yay! I love seeing manga panels.
-THERE IT GOES! AHAHAHAHA!!
- Oooh. I like how they animated the circle connecting!
-collapse! collapse! collapse!
- Just realized I've had this huge grin on my face this whole time, but others who haven't seen this. Are probably bawling. biggrin.gif
-Such amazing animation! Can you say BUDGET! Haha!

-AW, come one! It ends there! Oh well. >_<

Wow. What an amazing episode, as you can see. I had much to say about it.
My one complaint is that they left out Grummans "Lul I'm dying, oh well" line.
Radadinator
- Denny and Maria? Okay, random, but I dig it.
- Exposition!
- And more exposition!
- HO CRAP--Mei!
- The suspense building up with the darkening sky is killing me.
- That's right, animation boost for Wrath only. Save for the action lines.
- OHH EFFFFFF YEAHHHHH SCAR
- Lol Father's gun could fit in perfectly with Mario.
- The Fullmetal Alchemist, child abuser and molester.
- Despite being a demon child, Pride's pretty cute.
- Lol Father's getting an orgasm from excited alchemical energy.
- That music when Greed makes his completely fruitless entrance sounds like it's from friggin' Coraline.
- Aaaaaaaahhhh it's startingggggg
- ohmy.gif
- All of the shots of the soulless citizens are shocking, but...Mrs. Bradley. Just Mrs. Bradley.
- Disappointed that they didn't have Elysia and Gracia, but maybe in next episode?

This episode made me shat bricks. Concrete bricks.
Gregory House
Awesome episode, and I've just finished an AMV about it with the song Komm, susser Tod:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSQFHYKdteo

EveningAlchemist
^Nice video! This episode was pure epic AMV material.

Of all the apocalypses I've seen... this is topping the list of best ends of the world ever! laugh.gif

Music during the eclipse with the Ishvalans was just gorgeous! It was very mystical and full of anticipation - until Bradley started striking and then it was intense! Same with the music right before the transmutation. I felt cold right to my core! As soon as I saw the eclipse complete - it reminded me of "Heroes" ... but at least FMA is awesome to the end.

When Father went all liquid and moved to his "throne" the animation was very well done! Anything that occurred after Father's evil laugh is just pure terror/awesomesauce. w00t.gif

Father's gun was definitely a lolwut?, but Izumi's crossbow was a WIN!
Bag of Magic Food
QUOTE (Radadinator @ Jun 6 2010, 04:45 PM) *
The Fullmetal Alchemist, child abuser and molester.

He's a molester! He's a chiiiiiiiiiiild molester!
Haineko
It's been a while since I've posted here, but this episode was just too EPIC (overused, I know, but... seriously, this was the very definition of EPIC at the end there).

I pretty much agree with what everyone has said here so far, but I'll add/reiterate a few thoughts:

- I'm so glad the music choices are finally pulling it all together. While I think that the overall soundtrack for Brotherhood is fantastic, the usage of the music earlier in the series has been some of the worst I've ever seen in an anime, which is a first for me. It ranges from overusage of certain tracks (*cough* Lurking *cough*) to inappropriate placement that just ruins or distorts the mood entirely. I will say though that it's improved a lot, and I thought all the tracks that played during this episode were appropriate and really enhanced the mood. Lapis Philosophorum was the perfect track to accompany that scene.

- I'm also glad they kept in the Denny/Maria reunion! I thought it was 50/50 that they'd leave it in and knew that the beginning of this episode would be the last chance to show it, because after that some serious S*** starts hitting the fan and doesn't let up til the end.

- Loved all the fights in this episode, as usual. I especially loved the change to Mei's attack - for all the complaints from various people about how annoying she is, I'm glad she's being portrayed as competent and very useful in battle, even if she did take on more than she could handle this time. I'm also actually kinda glad they didn't go with a more dynamic and fluid animation for Scar vs Bradley. I love Wrath as much as anyone, but it would've been overkill if he was repeatedly shown to be so overpowered. I have a feeling we have one more Badass!Wrath scene coming up, anyway.

- This episode covered basically two manga chapters, but it didn't feel rushed at all to me. A good reminder that pages of action aren't as intimidating to fit in as pages of dialogue. Which bodes well for the next two episodes, which sounds like they're gonna be covering 105-107.

- How evil of them to end it on that note... everyone dies, the END! No smoke clearing afterwards, no nothing. Takes guts to do that, and I love it.

QUOTE (deet-tastic @ Jun 6 2010, 12:58 PM) *
-Silly lady, they're not here to rape you and devour your soul. They just want to look at their map.

Dude, I had that exact thought when I heard that woman's screams. I was like, sheesh, you sound like you're getting gangraped or something! ohmy.gif That entire exchange was just so over the top and distracting from the scene that I wanted to smack whoever did her voice.

QUOTE (deet-tastic @ Jun 6 2010, 12:58 PM) *
- Just realized I've had this huge grin on my face this whole time, but others who haven't seen this. Are probably bawling. biggrin.gif

Me too... I was grinning and/or gaping the whole time... awesome ep.
FMAobsessed
The screenshots look amazing. So I will have to watch the episode soon. It still feels weird that it wasn't that long ago we read the manga chapter of this episode.
I am excited to see Winry though.
Vagrant
They hit totally the wrong beat for the Denny and Maria bit. (And if there's anything that ever needed a flashback for the viewers...) The music didn't help, but I thought the tunes were used well in the rest of the episode.

A lot of weird fight changes. Also, I preferred Scar slipping on the blood rather than Bradley just suddenly getting a shot in through skill.
I was honestly kind of confused spatially by a few parts. Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention, but things seemed way clearer in the manga.

Also, looking at this storyline again, I think it's safe to say the story in FMA did officially go off the rails a bit with this Father stuff. Too much crazy, too many plot devices. :\

(I almost wish Gring had somehow succeeded in messing up Father's plan and they all miss the eclipse and then it goes from there with the final battle with Father in his normal mode.)
zonkiethegreat
QUOTE (Broken Chouchou @ Jun 6 2010, 04:35 PM) *

Yeah the gun was in the manga.
Here: http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/104/11/
I don't find it as cartoonish as PenguinTruth does though. I see it as a bit more maniacal on Father's side. He was gleefully trying to kill Mei.

I thought the Scar/Wrath fight was WAY better in the manga. Meh.

Is it me? Or does the "black and white" coloring of the manga make it feel much more grim and important? I dunno maybe I'm just gloomy because the last chapter is out this week....sad.gif
zonkiethegreat
QUOTE (Vagrant @ Jun 6 2010, 11:55 PM) *
Also, looking at this storyline again, I think it's safe to say the story in FMA did officially go off the rails a bit with this Father stuff. Too much crazy, too many plot devices. :\

(I almost wish Gring had somehow succeeded in messing up Father's plan and they all miss the eclipse and then it goes from there with the final battle with Father in his normal mode.)

You know, although I LOVE the FMA manga, I can't help but agree to a certain level with you. I also kinda feel like Father's ambitions are just...uuuhhh....too unbelievable??? I know this is anime and its a fantasy, but seriously?? GOD??? YOU CONSUME GOD??? HOW-Wha-??? *throws hands up in defeat* Okey-Dokey. Fine I'll accept it, even though WOW its crazy.
deet-tastic
^ I like it.
The only anime/manga I read that's come close to Fathers I can has god is in Soul Eater, with BlackStar always going around boasting that he wants to surpass God. Which makes me giggle. XP
Broken Chouchou
QUOTE (zonkiethegreat @ Jun 7 2010, 05:58 AM) *

Yeah the gun was in the manga. Here:

Oh yeah, thanks ^^ It does look a bit more serious in the manga, though.

-----

I agree that FMA went all kinds of over the top crazy a bit into the 100's, in a way that made it a bit hard to take seriously at times. It was a turn in a completely different direction from what the series had been thus far, IMO. All realism went out the window. And yes, the subsequent fighting felt a tad cartoonish, or "DBZ", as some people have made comparisons to (I haven't watched Dragonball, but I get exactly whatcha mean by that. Hadoukens and energy shields and whatnot.) Still, at least regarding the craziness factor, when a story has felt so (relatively) realistic and been focused on the depictions of characters and relationships, all the insane mindf*!@ing has an even bigger impact, in a good way.

I find it hard to explain, but I’ll try; In one way, because everything has been so realistic and believable so far, it feels misfit, out of place. But in another way, again because everything has been so realistic, it’s just all that more… great.

Sometimes that’s life for you. What you’ve made up to be your own reality, your perception of your life, can be completely shattered by a single event. And what do you do, when that happens, even if it seems insane or unbelievable to you, even if you don’t want to believe it? You deal.

Of course, what happens in FMA is extreme, but what I’m trying to do here is make a point. When the unbelievable happens to believable characters, it’ll have all that more effect, making the insane feel just as insane to the characters involved as it does to the reader. As opposed to if the the characters and the universe had been just as crazy, cartoonish and implausible from the start. Or something like that.
I feel like I’m not really getting anywhere with this, so I’ll just stop XD Stupid language barrier, I probably don't make any sense whatsoever XD

Either way, the anime makes at least the events of this episode seem less insane than it was in the manga, for some reason. Dunno why. Maybe it’s just because I’ve already gone through the “WTF”-phase. Yeah, that seems likely. Could be the music, too, that makes it feel dramatic and sad, rather than just downright crazy like I felt it was when I read the manga. I don't know. I feel I'm rambling. I need breakfast lol.
cherry-chan. :D
The episodes are surely getting better and better! This was awesome.

- I find the Maria/Denny reunion cute. But the music for that part was a bit.. eh? Idk, while I was happy that Denny finally sees for himself that Maria's alive, the bgm when he was like, "Second Lieutenaaaaant!" made me go, "Aww--wait, HUH?!" XDDD
- AlMei? XD
- Man, Father pushing Hoho's face back made me lol, considering where Hoho's head really was. XDDD *bricked*
- That woman. Geez. She sounded like she was going to be raped--like what many have already said. XD It annoyed me, somewhat.
- Yay, Izumi's crossbow! <3
- Oh no, everyone's dying! --I was at the edge of my seat at that moment. Too bad they didn't show Gracia and Elysia, but seeing the other characters made up for it, I suppose. (Mrs. Bradley... Hmm, if I remember correctly, there was a plate of sandwiches in front of her. XD)
- That General... what was his name? Clemin? Haha, he really freaked out. So much it makes me laugh. I'm sorry. XDDD

---well, that's just some stuff I remember thinking while I was watching it. Anyway, most of you guys have already mentioned a lot of stuff I also agree with. XD

Great episode. I hope they keep up this good quality of animation for the remaining episodes, if not better. (Though from the preview, I think it's going to be epic. XD)
Mr. Deathy
Episode episode. Really had that level of punch and impact that other episodes for huge moments had been lacking. Music and direction was spot on.

If I have one complaint it's that they kind of missed the mark with the black ball of energy expanding from Father. It consumed some guards and people outside but really it was only meant to serve to show which characters would survive within it and not be absorbed into the transmutation, which is why Wrath and Scar are still alive and fighting after Father activates the circle.

Also I always liked Gruman's salute and "Ashes to ashes" so it's a shame that was gone.

Anyway as a whole though probably the most intense episode of the series. They'll struggle to outdo this though so I really hope they can pull off the last episodes as well.

I still have no idea how they're going to pace 61 well. Yes, the animation looks good, but that'll mean nothing if it's too fast.
TheSentinel
Good episode.

A few thoughts:

-Wrath... such an awesome character. It's really interesting that wrath/anger is one of the least "controlled" emotions and yet his character for nearly the entire series is generally calm, collected, and about to WTFPWNU. His entire life has been controlled since even before he became a Homunculus, and became more so afterward. Now with his fight with Scar though... his job is over and he's dying, he can now just cut loose because as far as he's concerned since to him nothing matters anymore. He's been the implacable man with a purpose throughout the whole series and now he can finally just go berserk.

Others have mentioned Scar not slipping on blood, I do miss that as well. Wrath gets the two shoulder slashes in by skill, his stabbing Scar with the broken sword was more luck.

-End of the World (as we know it) While almost a jump the shark moment, FMA still pulls it off, In My Not So Humble Opinion. Father, the first homunculus, was created in, or pulled into, this "universe" via alchemy and some of Hoho's blood. I don't think Arakawa has officially stated whether father was created or from the "truth/gate dimension." His similarity to Truth as he absorbs more and more souls seems to indicate a relation or some sort... or the more souls you absorb the more "Truthy" you become???? /shrug. In any case, that would at least validate his reasons for "eating god." Can't wait to see how the end turns out.

Just my 2 cents.
Mr. Deathy
I think people misinterpret the whole "consuming God" thing.

We're supposed to pay more attention to the dialogue Homunculus speaks before he opens the gate, about opening the world's gate and gaining the true knowledge of the universe.

That's the "God" he refers to, the "truth" of life. By containing the fundamental knowledge of the universe within himself, he has an incredible level of control to the depth of the laws of physics as he's aware of all information regarding them, hence why he can create Nuclear Fusion, control the weather, etc.

Seemingly containing such vast knowledge requires an incredible amount of energy, which makes sense. To comfortably contain it, he needed the energy of every human in the country.
zonkiethegreat
QUOTE (Broken Chouchou @ Jun 7 2010, 05:30 AM) *
QUOTE (zonkiethegreat @ Jun 7 2010, 05:58 AM) *

Yeah the gun was in the manga. Here:

Oh yeah, thanks ^^ It does look a bit more serious in the manga, though.

-----

I agree that FMA went all kinds of over the top crazy a bit into the 100's, in a way that made it a bit hard to take seriously at times. It was a turn in a completely different direction from what the series had been thus far, IMO. All realism went out the window. And yes, the subsequent fighting felt a tad cartoonish, or "DBZ", as some people have made comparisons to (I haven't watched Dragonball, but I get exactly whatcha mean by that. Hadoukens and energy shields and whatnot.) Still, at least regarding the craziness factor, when a story has felt so (relatively) realistic and been focused on the depictions of characters and relationships, all the insane mindf*!@ing has an even bigger impact, in a good way.

I find it hard to explain, but Iíll try; In one way, because everything has been so realistic and believable so far, it feels misfit, out of place. But in another way, again because everything has been so realistic, itís just all that moreÖ great.

Sometimes thatís life for you. What youíve made up to be your own reality, your perception of your life, can be completely shattered by a single event. And what do you do, when that happens, even if it seems insane or unbelievable to you, even if you donít want to believe it? You deal.

Of course, what happens in FMA is extreme, but what Iím trying to do here is make a point. When the unbelievable happens to believable characters, itíll have all that more effect, making the insane feel just as insane to the characters involved as it does to the reader. As opposed to if the the characters and the universe had been just as crazy, cartoonish and implausible from the start. Or something like that.
I feel like Iím not really getting anywhere with this, so Iíll just stop XD Stupid language barrier, I probably don't make any sense whatsoever XD

Either way, the anime makes at least the events of this episode seem less insane than it was in the manga, for some reason. Dunno why. Maybe itís just because Iíve already gone through the ďWTFĒ-phase. Yeah, that seems likely. Could be the music, too, that makes it feel dramatic and sad, rather than just downright crazy like I felt it was when I read the manga. I don't know. I feel I'm rambling. I need breakfast lol.

TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU.
FailToImpress
QUOTE (Mr. Deathy @ Jun 7 2010, 03:36 PM) *
That's the "God" he refers to, the "truth" of life. By containing the fundamental knowledge of the universe within himself, he has an incredible level of control to the depth of the laws of physics as he's aware of all information regarding them, hence why he can create Nuclear Fusion, control the weather, etc.

Seemingly containing such vast knowledge requires an incredible amount of energy, which makes sense. To comfortably contain it, he needed the energy of every human in the country.

Definitely. That's what makes it so bone-chillingly scary and awesome.
Broken Chouchou
QUOTE (zonkiethegreat @ Jun 7 2010, 11:43 PM) *
TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU.

Lol really? That was unexpected haha :P
FailToImpress
^Haha I agree with what you said too, you put it much better than I could have!
Kasumisty
I think it's one of the darkest (if not the darkest) episode of the series. I loved the choice of music. The whole dragging God to the Earth was breathtaking. Wow, Father as nationwide, black creature. Scary sh**.
hilary
hi everybody~~ : P
I've just found some scenes about Edward fight against pride
and what's the main point I want to say..
is there are some scenes that look very same as episode 48!!
* 0 *..that's really funny I think XD
and I've post the comparing scenes s of two episode
in Baidu
here's the link
http://tieba.baidu.com/f?kz=792561494

I hope you all will agree with my point of view tongue.gif
Hagaren_4ever
^Dang, was the whole freakin' fight scene just paralleled with the one before? I can't believe I didn't notice, but now that you mention, I THOUGHT I felt a vague sense of de ja vu.
Broken Chouchou
Wow, seriously? I didn't notice anything at all when watching! No dťjŗ vu here XD But why would they do this? A sneaky (but not sneaky enough!) budget trick, perhaps? Saving the animators the trouble of drawing a completely new fight sequence from scratch?
Mr. Deathy
I don't mind them saving on the budget on a few less important scenes if it means it's the reason stuff like the second half of the ep was so well done.
Bag of Magic Food
QUOTE (Broken Chouchou @ Jun 8 2010, 10:48 AM) *
Wow, seriously? I didn't notice anything at all when watching! No dťjŗ vu here XD But why would they do this? A sneaky (but not sneaky enough!) budget trick, perhaps? Saving the animators the trouble of drawing a completely new fight sequence from scratch?

Lol yeah, just trace over Edward and change the outfit and lighting. Laaaaazyyyy. But yeah, I didn't notice it when I watched either, maybe it seemed right that they had learned nothing and started fighting in the exact same way again?
FailToImpress
Well, I didn't notice, so I guess I'll let them off with it. tongue.gif There's no point in drawing it all again if you can use material from before... but it is acceptable up until a point, I'll say that.
deet-tastic
I only noticed the recycled footage because I had just watched that fight the night before, and had taken a few screenshots. Otherwise, I wouldn't have spotted it.
And, I won't really complain about it smile.gif It is a pretty sweet fight.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.