Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FMA Manga Re-read It From The Beginning Project! (link Index To Discussion Threads And Other Info On The First Post!) First Time Readers Welcome Also!
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Manga > Re-reading FMA manga
Pages: 1, 2
Tombow
^ Hello everyone, glad to have you guys for the re-reading sessions!!

Our first re-reading session (for chapter 1 & 2) starts tomorrow, and here is a little reminder...

1. Please try to avoid using fan-made chapter scanaltions such as ones on Onemanga.com and other similar on-line fan-made manga scanaltion chapters reading sites as the main reading source for DISCUSSIONS in our reading sessions, since quality and accuracy of translations used in such fan-made scanlations vary greatly, from "excellent" to "horribly wrong," and yes, some of these are on Onemanga.com as well.
(Please note that this does not take away my deep appreciations toward the site for it's valuable services to the FMA manga fans over the years. I'm only talking about the accuracy of translations in the some of the submitted fan-made FMA chapter scanlations, for which Onemanga.com had/has no control over. ^^).
Therefore, please read 2. below. smile.gif

2. For the reading reference for session 1, please send a PM to A Pierrot's Aria and ask for "Reading Reference Assistance for week 1." smile.gif

(except: The Monkey Is God, Broken Chouchou, Causmicfire, & animegirl95, you guys are already set, and no need to do this. ^^)

In addition, for chapters 1 & 2, transcripts from Viz' English versions will be posted here tomorrow. smile.gif
Nacchan
I know my question could be stupid but... what exactly is the reading reference assistance?;_; I think I've understood but I'm not sure ;_;
Causmicfire
QUOTE (Nacchan @ Jul 11 2010, 03:15 AM) *
I know my question could be stupid but... what exactly is the reading reference assistance?;_; I think I've understood but I'm not sure ;_;

Transcripts of the official Viz English translations for those who don't have the volumes.
Tombow
^ Thank you, Causmicfire! ^^ That, and more, and allow me to explain that below. ^^

QUOTE (Nacchan @ Jul 11 2010, 06:15 AM) *

@Nacchan and everybody - First off, WELCOME to the Re-read FMA manga sessions! And, as far as we are concerned, no question is a "stupid question" during our sessions!. Because if you had something you always wanted to ask, about certain scene, certain dialogue, certain theory, etc in FMA manga, but didn't ask because you were afraid that it might sound stupid.. then this may be the last chance to ask about that and get answers & help from other fellow FMA manga fans!! Please bring on all your "unanswered FMA manga questions" (that are related to that week's reading sessions ^^) and hope other participants can help you out with those questions. biggrin.gif

Now, to the specific question posted above...^^
The above mentioned "reference assistance" is what discussion participants can use as the reference, so that we all have same translations, same page numbers, etc. to keep us all on the same page (figuratively and literally XD) when we proceed with our discussions throughout our Re-reading FMA manga sessions. biggrin.gif

SPECIAL NOTE to participants who might be thinking, "I don't need that, because I can go to Onemanga.com (or fill in any other similar on-line fan-made manga chapter scanlation reading sites ^^) anytime and read "chapters" there!" .... (please read below)

For our Re-reading sessions, we'd prefer that participants DO NOT USE materials from fan-made scanlations (such as the ones on Onemanga.com) as the REFERNCE (such as, using a page from such material as a proof of your point, or otherwise use those as the basis for your thoughts and opinions..) in DISCUSSIONS in our sessions. I am a fan of Onemanga.com myself, and I still love reading fan-made FMA manga scanlations made by certain scanlation groups that are carefully crafted with much love and respects for original FMA manga, with matching translation/editing skills. However, unfortunately, that is not the case for some other fan-made FMA manga chapter scanaltions out there, and yes, some of them are on Onemanga.com as well, and yes, some are with many mis/inaccurate translations, and some are with translators making up own fan-made story lines and dialogue that are not in original raw FMA manga. And, I'm sure many enjoy reading such creations, and I'm glad they do. ^^ But, since many of them contain deviations (some large, some small) from original FMA manga, not to mention there are no unified "page numbering" systems among fan-made scanlations, we prefer to use STANDARD "reading reference" for our reading sessions. (This week you can PM A Pierrot's Aria and ask assistance for such reading reference. ^^)

(For FMA fans in the countries with official FMA volume books in language other than English, please feel free use your FMA volume books in language other than English alongside this "reading reference" and if so, please mention which language version of FMA volume book you are using on your first post on this thread so that we know, and also if you can, please kindly enter information on such official volume books on Non English Version Of FMA Vol. Books thread. biggrin.gif )

* Please note that this "chapter by chapter" reference assistance are most likely to be with limited duration. In other words, above mentioned "reference assistance" you can get now, for reading session 1 (chapter 1 & 2) may not be made be available to the session participants forever. Next week there probably will be "reference assistance" for session 2 (chapter 2 & 3) and that may be available to the session participants for next week plus some period afterwards, and so on. (therefore...please read the next note ^^)

* We are also planning to provide transcripts (translations from official English versions) as another way to provide "reference aid" for the discussions, and currently transcripts are likely to be available up to chapter 8 at this point, and if we can, we'd love to create a permanent data base of English transcripts of all FMA manga chapters as our permanent reference aid, but since making of such transcripts is a huge time & efforts consuming task, this maybe possible only if we can have additional volunteers to help out with the current volunteer, and hence if anyone is willing to help out (we'll provide official English chapters as needed) that would be very much appreciated! smile.gif
MsLinn
I think this is a great idea, and I will follow it to the very end...And then we start over, yes?! naughty.gif
Thanks to A Pierrot's Aria for the nice scans! It took me about two minutes to figure out how to see them... lamo.gif tommy.gif
And thanks to Tombow for the VERY thorough explanation and to everyone who helped organize this!

(ok, now I've edited this post aout ten times! random parts just kept disappearing!) Oh, but lol! Sorry Tombow!
Tombow
^ You're welcome! ^^
Oh, and this assistance is for the participants only, and also, please do not mention the details on your guys' post here. xp

Anyway, I'm writing the session 1 threads now, and hopefully it will be up shortly. ^^ Meantime, you can go and read chapters for this week's session, or go around our forums, or check out our July 2010 is Arakawa-Appreciation month! announcement, and if you'd like, please check out some of the events and projects listed there. happy.gif

ETA: Re-reading session 1 is on!! Please join us on those session discussion threads!:

FMA Manga Re-read It From The Beginning, Session 1, Chapter 1 discussion thread
FMA Manga Re-read It From The Beginning, Session 1, Chapter 2 discussion thread
Chapter 1 discussion thread (For First Time Readers)
Chapter 2 discussion thread (For First Time Readers)
Mhacy
Count me in! Wahh, the re-reading start on July 11, I missed a lot of things =_=. I actually re-read it already but I still want to join the session here^^
Tombow
^ @Mhacy - Glad to have you with us! ^^

ETA:
"Reading reference" for session 4 is now ready!
Please send a PM to A Pierrot's Aria and ask for "Reading Reference Assistance for week 3."
Opaul
@-@ I have just read the entire series in less than 3 days. I'm hooked. I went on my marathon after I realized onemanga would be taking down its manga scans.

But honestly it is the most epic thing I've ever read. XD but you all probably already know that.
Sariachan
This is an interesting initiative, I'll start re-reading the manga soon and I'll leave some comments in the proper threads. ^^

As reference I'll use the Italian official volumes, even if they could miss some extra/gaiden chapters, which I'll have to read elsewhere (I think it's important to put transcript of them, more than the regular chapters, which are easily available in many Countries now).
Michiyo-
Some small changes regarding the Re-reading Project:

Starting from this Sunday for the following 4 weeks there’ll be only one chapter per week to discuss. Many members of the board are on vacation or simply don’t have time to participate in the project. By slowing down there’ll be time for them to re-read the chapters and catch up with the discussions.

So here’s the schedule for the following 4 weeks:
Session 6 (Aug. 15 – Aug. 21): Vol. 3 – Chapter 11 “The Two Guardians”
Session 7 (Aug. 22 – Aug. 28.): Vol. 3 - Chapter 12 “The Definition of Human”
Session 8 (Aug. 29. – Sept. 4): Vol. 4 - Chapter 13. “Fullmetal Body”
Session 9 (Sept. 5. – Sept. 11): Vol. 4 - Chapter 14: “An Only Child’s Feelings”

We hope to see more members participating in the project and posting their thoughts, opinions about the chapters. ^^
Icy12
QUOTE (Michiyo- @ Aug 15 2010, 10:21 AM) *
Some small changes regarding the Re-reading Project:

Starting from this Sunday for the following 4 weeks there’ll be only one chapter per week to discuss. Many members of the board are on vacation or simply don’t have time to participate in the project. By slowing down there’ll be time for them to re-read the chapters and catch up with the discussions.

So here’s the schedule for the following 4 weeks:
Session 6 (Aug. 15 – Aug. 21): Vol. 3 – Chapter 11 “The Two Guardians”
Session 7 (Aug. 22 – Aug. 28.): Vol. 3 - Chapter 12 “The Definition of Human”
Session 8 (Aug. 29. – Sept. 4): Vol. 4 - Chapter 13. “Fullmetal Body”
Session 9 (Sept. 5. – Sept. 11): Vol. 4 - Chapter 14: “An Only Child’s Feelings”

We hope to see more members participating in the project and posting their thoughts, opinions about the chapters. ^^

That is great! I've been meaning to ask about the possibility of doing one chapter a week since I am having trouble finding the time for 2. I just figured I'd get shot down if I did ask.

I know this is only for 4 weeks, but I'm still appreciating it ;)
A Pierrot's Aria
This idea sounds good. smile.gif Hopefully I'll be able to catch up soon!

I also hope that I've been receiving people's PMs...on one or two occasions I didn't get them; so if I don't get back quickly when you see me online, try again!

Hopefully everything's fine again now. happy.gif
Sariachan
Nice idea, I'm going to start re-reading the manga soon and this way I'll catch up faster!
Michiyo-
Reading schedule for July and August:
Session 52 (July 3 – July 9): Vol. 14 – Chapter 57: "Scars of Ishbal"
Session 53 (July 10 – July 16): Vol. 15 – Chapter 58: "The Footsteps of Ruin"
Session 54 (July 17 – July 23): Vol. 15 – Chapter 59: "The Immoral Alchemist"
Session 55 (July 24 – July 30): Vol. 15 – Chapter 60: "In the Absence of God"
Session 56 (July 31 – Aug. 6): Vol. 15 – Chapter 61: "The Hero of Ishbal"
Session 57 (Aug. 7 – Aug. 13): Vol. 16 – Chapter 62: "Beyond the Dream"
Session 58 (Aug. 14 – Aug. 20): Vol. 16 – Chapter 63: "The Promise Made for 520 Cenz"
Session 59 (Aug. 21 – Aug. 27): Vol. 16 – Chapter 64: "The Northern Wall of Briggs"
Session 60 (Aug. 28 – Sept. 3): Vol. 16 – Chapter 65: "The Ironclad Rule"

Come and join the discussions in the Re-reading FMA Manga project and tell your thoughts on the chapters!
We’re at Volume 15 now, the Ishbal flashback has just started. If you liked that arc, share your opinions, thoughts on the story, the characters, etc, we hope to see your posts in the discussion threads.
Also, feel free to add your posts to the previous session discussion threads! happy.gif

Current session:
Chapter 59 for Re-readers
Chapter 59 for first time FMA manga readers
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.