Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Episode 58: Sacrifices - Content Discussion Thread
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Anime
Chiyo
Talk-back/content discussion for English dubbed episode on Adult Swim starts on page 4. smile.gif

Please post the discussions on the content of episode 58 here.
This thread is declared as a Spoiler zone for the content of the first 58 episodes.

Please don't ask for links on where to watch this episode, raw or subbed. Discussions on 'where to watch' belong in Where/How to Watch FMA Series 2. Don't post screencaps unless highlighting something important about the content of the episode. Just like on in most area's of the board, avoid one line posts, spam of any kind or conversations between two members.

Screenshots: see Michiyo's post.

Summary: Edward finds himself going through the same experience he had when he saw the Gate of Truth as the gold-toothed doctor's array is activated. Greed and Wrath fight fiercely, until they end up hanging from a high spot. Ranfan grabs Greed's hand. Briggs soldiers shoot Bradley and he drops into the water below. Helped up by Ranfan, Ling is devestated that Fu is already dead. Central soldier open fire on him. Ling lets Greed come out in full-force by a dying Buccaneer's request and takes on Central soldiers. Buccaneer dies with a smile on his face. Olivier is informed of the status at the front gate of Central HQ, and decides to continue down the stairs into the basement. In the depths of Central, Edward and Izumi materialize in Father's lair, where he has disabled Hohenheim. Father is disappointed that a fifth sacrifice has yet to be prepared. The gold-toothed doctor has Riza Hawkeye seriously injured in hopes Roy will peform a human transmutation, and he seems to give in. - © Penguintruth, taken with permission from his blog.

*WARNING*

Please follow these simple rules;

-Do not spam.
-Add spoiler tags to spoilers
-Do not go off topic
-Do not fight

Spam means one line posts that contain little content. "OMG that ep was so cool" would be an example of spam. If you enjoyed the episode please specify what you enjoyed so much, was there anything you didn't like?

Spoilers mean anything you know will happen in upcoming episodes. Not everybody reads the manga and you may reveal something they didn't know. For future episode discussion, please go to the relevant topic. If you are unsure how to use spoiler tags, please ask.

Going off topic means discussing a characters actions outside of the episode, or talking about the artwork, or upcoming episodes etc. I know this can happen easily so don't be upset if I move your posts or guide you in the right direction. Double check the forum for the right place to take your post, or if required, start a new topic.

Everybody can voice their opinion, and nobody is correct just as nobody is incorrect. Because none of you will spam (right?) people will justify why they didn't like something. You are welcome to say "well I like that part because..." but you CAN NOT say "no you are wrong because..."
Vlyse
-That filler Central soldier finally did something! He, er, got past the machine guns, to be the one to shoot Greed.
-Changes to the full armor Greed scene were expected.
-Aw, bye Buccaneer.
-OMG! This ep is already more awesome than 57, but did anyone else catch Dante's cameo?! Haha!
-Eyecatches this time are cool. Buccaneer and Briggs soldiers waving him off. But err, was that blood I saw on Riza's eyecatch? Way to spoil.
-Wow. That new music track is pretty creepy.
-Heh, sneaky sneaky cutting out a few action panels as Goldtooth talks.
-Alright cliffhanger, was expecting them to end around there.
-Gah, I liked that they cut the few panels of Bradley looking into the underwater tunnel, but they spoiled him returning in the preview.
Michiyo-
- Quick start of the episode. Keyhole’s lagging is awful.
- And Bradley goes down.
- I feel sorry for Ling and Ran Fan. And this music was used when Hughes died.
- And here comes Greed in full armor. Epic music for the awesome action scenes.
- Goodbye Buccaneer.
- Ed, Al and Izumi arrived to Father’s lair. Father looks very creepy with Hohenheim in his stomach. I hear new creepy music.
- Nooo Rizaa!!
Epic episode, awesome animation and excellent voice acting. I need to watch it again and again.
I want the next ep. now.
hand-made-city
This was my first time watching it with Keyhole! Fun. But unfortunately, the suspense in this episode wasn't nearly as immense as the manga.. I was a bit disappointed with that, but still, I enjoyed it.

I liked the eyecatches too! The one with Riza wasn't a spoiler though.. she had blood on her already from her fight with Envy.
His Name is Unknown
Aw man, this episode got keyholed for me....

First part of the Greed fight was a slide show fail (look at my epic punches...and another....and another)

Second part was a keyhole fail (seriously, I hear screaming, explosions, is that a truck? oh, scene's over...awesome dry.gif )

However, despite keyhole's antics, I did see a bazooka go off and apparently explode the entire tunnel up to Central HQ. If only Bones put the same effort into animating their characters as they do their explosions *sigh*

The cliffhanger occured in the expected place, but I did enjoy the intercutting between Riza's blood and the blood red philosopher's stone as Roy struggles with his desires. Animation for the end of the Fuhrer candidate fight looked good, but keyhole was just too finicky for me to really grasp what was happening.

...also, Dante cameo for the win! I was wondering if I just imagined that Vlyse, but since you caught it too, it must be so. That was pretty random; but still awesome. (wonder what she said?)

Honestly, the best part of this episode for me was watching the 2 second clip of the Fuhrer pick up his swords during the preview. Bradley's animation looked suitably detailed and fluid, which gives me hope that he will be getting the epic send-off he so richly deserves. Fingers crossed for a frenetic Bradley/Scar fight next episode. The pacing was actually pretty good; surprisingly slow, actually...it really makes me question how Bones is going to finish this in 63 episodes, especially if the rumored 150 page final chapter comes to fruition next month.

New track was suitable for Father's creepy eye room, but I wish they had saved some new music for these climactic action scenes. This is just personal preference, but as good as the animation was and in spite of the escalating drama of the last few episodes, the repetitious/reused tracks are really taking me out of the moment. When it comes to anime, I'm a real stickler for art quality and musical craftsmanship; the music is like half my enjoyment of a show, and Brotherhood is just not cutting it in this aspect.

Oh well, it was a good episode overall, and that preview has reeeeaaallllyyyyy got me looking forward to Bradley's fight. biggrin.gif
penguintruth
My initial thoughts:

- Bradley just doesn't quit!
- Buccaneer ;_;
- Well... this is new.
- ALL RIGHT, FULL GREED MODE! It's about time!
- Jeez, don't stretch out the poor guy's death so much! Let him have his peace!
- Poor Sig! ;_;
- Jeez, General Santa is having it rough
- Oh, hey, Ed. You're a character in this show, right?
- Ahahaha, Truthy Father is so funny looking, especially with Hohenheim in him

I like that they got a bit creative with what Greed does.

Also, "Battle Scherzo" is probably the best track for this show.
Vlyse
I believe the next episode will have Masahiro Ando (sp?) working on it, who I think also did the Al vs Kimblee/Pride stuff back in episode 52. So that's kind of a guarantee the next episode will have great animation, but hopefully all the ones from now on will have it. smile.gif

Another thing I liked about this episode was how Funimation's official translation of the episode title cut out "Human" before "Sacrifices." Kinda makes it sound more serious business.

Next ep is....? Oh, no, it's the one.
Michiyo-
Screenshots from Random Curiosity:
http://randomc.net/2010/05/23/fullmetal-al...brotherhood-58/
Chiyo
Flamez_Freak & _Jelly, since you might have missed my opening post about not spamming, I am just reminding you here too to not spam. I am happy for you to bring up Dante but do so as part of a more complete post than two or three words. Have removed your posts for this reason.

Thank-you.

Also, not that anyone has yet (I'm being cautious) DO NOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT NEXT WEEKS EP. Though the majority of you know what is coming, there are those who don't, and it's not something we want to spoil is it? Think of the suspense!
_Jelly
QUOTE (Chiyo @ May 23 2010, 08:46 PM) *
Flamez_Freak & _Jelly, since you might have missed my opening post about not spamming, I am just reminding you here too to not spam. I am happy for you to bring up Dante but do so as part of a more complete post than two or three words. Have removed your posts for this reason.

Oh, sorry =S Didnt know that was classified as spam.

But anyway, just watched it, well, no, I'm only half way through right now but I remember when there were stages in episodes where the art would be really inconsistent or just plain ugly. That dosnt seem to be happening anymore... at all. This episode so far has been well animated, no choppy scenes and the style is consistent. I dont usually keep up with art directors and who does which episode, but whoever did this one, I want to be their friend.

EDIT: LOOK AT ALL THAT BLOOD COMING OUT OF THAT TINY SLIT
I'M. GONNA. PUKE. Not really. But that's a lot.
rzerox21xx
Great episode and good nodd to Dante.. For some reason, hearing from you guys about the Dante cameo, I was expecting young Dante which is Lyra but then I saw the elderly couple I was like, "ooohh thats right".

who knows, maybe we'll see cameo by the fake elrics, anime1 wrath and well no need for anime1 sloth due being Trisha's form lol.

Personally it be really cool to see Frank Archer cameo as just some random officer that Greedling takes out

One of the best episodes I seen and I love Greedling going berserk and just toying with the soldiers. Alias Buceeneer, farewell.
Broken Chouchou
QUOTE (_Jelly @ May 23 2010, 01:32 PM) *
LOOK AT ALL THAT BLOOD COMING OUT OF THAT TINY SLIT

Life is hard for a woman, huh.

Screenshots look good. Greed looks decent, but I still can't get over the colour they've made his shield. It should be darker, imo. Father is a crazy b*tch, that's for sure. Hilarious and creepy at the same time: http://randomc.net/image/Fullmetal%20Alche...0Large%2027.jpg. And really, Dante's in there? That's pretty neat.

Looking forward to watching this.
penguintruth
QUOTE (Broken Chouchou @ May 23 2010, 08:04 AM) *

Life is hard for women, huh.

Such a classy joke. :p
_Jelly
Oh yeah speaking of Greed, wasnt his shirt always sleeveless? In this is wasnt... at least he did us a favour and ripped them off himself. Mmm but I dont remember what colour his shield was in the previous anime, but I think it's fine now. If it were too dark, when watching, you wouldnt be able to tell what he's doing.

Oh and I want an anime1 Wrath cameo tongue.gif

QUOTE (penguintruth @ May 23 2010, 10:10 PM) *

Such a classy joke. tongue.gif

Tell me about it, that's one heavy flow.

biggrin.gif smile.gif mellow.gif huh.gif
Broken Chouchou
QUOTE (penguintruth @ May 23 2010, 02:10 PM) *

Such a classy joke. tongue.gif

I changed it, so it would make more sense in relation to the episode... but you already quoted me. Darn it XP
Tian Ai
Tell me about it, that's one heavy flow.

Oh my god, guys...

But yeah, that was a pretty ridiculous amount of blood to come out blink.gif

It wasn't a bad episode. Ling's voice acting was great.
But I think Roy's VA could have done a better job smile.gif
Probably because his facial expressions in the manga looked more devastated and contorted, too.

Yeah, the suspense in the manga was done much better (which has always been kind of ironic, that manga pulls it off better than anime blink.gif)
but still, a great episode. biggrin.gif
Gimpyhair
I expected much more for Riza-badly-injured scene animation. I know I will sound really sadic, but we didn't see Riza getting sliced, we saw the after, but not this: http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/100/45/ or this http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/100/46/ Page 45 is really incredible and Riza's facial expression on page 46 is just powerful, so I can't help but feel disappointed that we didn't get to see either of them.

But, I really love how they did the eye signal, with the philosopher stone and the blood. I did not expect the episode to end with this cliffanger, Roy simply agreeing, but it works perfectly.

And yeah, LOL at women's heavy flow jokes here!
Mr. Deathy
I think the omission of the actual slit of Riza's throat was a censoring issue. Ever since I saw that in the manga I always wondered if they'd be able to even keep in the fact it happened at all, nevermind the actual throat slice. This is about as good as I could've expected them to deal with it.

Still, it certainly worked better as a cliffhanger, but I knew this episode would end on "Roy's decision" so they could cram some of 101 into the episode.

Anyway episode all around was mainly great though as usual I have a complaint or two. I don't agree with some of the music choices, there were far better tracks for Buccaneer's death for example (Requiem for the Brigadier General would've been good, instead of playing when Fu is acknolwedged dead). Also, the music for the scenes after Riza's throat being slit wasn't dramatic enough, they needed more "panic" in that scene. The feel of the scene music and voice acting wise should have been saying "This major character is going to bleed to death imminently". I didn't really feel that.

Other than that I don't have any problems. Most of Greedling's scenes were great and Ling's voice acting hit the mark especially. The Father and crew scenes were also done fairly well...although I admit actually I'd prefer if Father's eyes were less static. They change position in the manga so I kind of imagined them as slow moving around him.
Gregory House
My thoughts:

I strongly believe that showing Rizas's throat bleeding instead of the whole process [the sword cutting the skin] was a good decision. When Roy figured out what happened, it was a real and irreversible situation that he couldn't stop. For me that's dramatic.
Bag of Magic Food
QUOTE (rzerox21xx @ May 23 2010, 06:40 AM) *
who knows, maybe we'll see cameo by the fake elrics, anime1 wrath and well no need for anime1 sloth due being Trisha's form lol.

Forget them, I just want to see Clara again!

QUOTE (rzerox21xx @ May 23 2010, 06:40 AM) *
Personally it be really cool to see Frank Archer cameo as just some random officer that Greedling takes out

Some people thought Storch was supposed to be Archer...
His Name is Unknown
Alright, I recently had a chance to view this episode in a more, um, reliable format wink.gif

A few further observations are in order:

1. I thought Ling's voice-actor did a great job with his dramatic scene and the directorial build-up to the full-on Greed mode was great. Despite the fact that we've heard it several times before, I actually enjoyed the musical selection for that moment; the slightly mournful, resigned flute solo went well with Buccaneer's last moments, adding to the sense that these characters might really die defending the main gate. Greed ling's agony, Buccaneer's slow demise, Falman and co. running out of ammo - it was a poignant scene.

2. Was that bit of Lan Fan's tears mingling with her blood in the manga? If it was, I certainly don't recall it, but it was a great touch nonetheless. Lan Fan's voice actress continues to do an incredible job with these dramatic scenes. The moment where she tells Ling that Fuu has died was heart wrenching.

3. Wow, brutal throw by Bradley - Fuu's sword stuck straight into that Briggs soldier's bone! If I recall the manga panel correctly, it was just a glancing blow - this version was far more graphic (odd considering the censoring Greed's fight endured...maybe because he's supposed to be a 'good guy' now?). Not that I'm complaining; if any character in this series earns his ultra-violence, it's Bradley. Like PenguinTruth commented earlier, that guy just doesn't give up!

I'm seriously considering making a compilation of all the instances of characters screaming BRAD-O-LEEEE in this new series. It's becoming his trademark. laugh.gif
deet-tastic
I have seen excellence.
Holy crap. What an amazing episode.

I want to start by saying that this episode had sentimental value to me. This is where the manga was at when I started Fullmetal Alchemist. I started Fullmetal with it's first 2 chapters, but for whatever reasons, I went to brotherhood after reading those. Within a week I had caught up to Brotherhood (episode 33) and then I read the rest of the manga, up to chapter 101.
So to finaly see this chapter, animated like this. It's like I've come full-circle.

Okay, opinion time.
I rarely get teary-eyed when watching or doing anything. Lings amazing VA made me tear up. When he was calling out for someone to use his philosophers stone. I did get teary. It was an amazing performance.
Watching Greed kick central's butt and wipe them on the floor was so satisfying. I loved that they used the "epic music" for this scene. They really do only use that piece in the epic moments.
My complaint's with this episode was the lack of showing any fighting between Mustang, Scar, Hawkeye and the failed fuhrers. They only focused on the Doc's face. Made me kinda mad. But it's forgivable.
I didn't like that they didn't show Riza's eyes as her neck was being cut. I always liked that manga panel.
Mustangs screams didn't sound... legit enough for me. I know what his VA is capable of, and it didn't sound as powerful as it should have been I thought. (it was still excellent though)

It was an interesting part to end the episode.
And what's up with Bones and their previews? They ruined that Bradley makes an epic entrance.
(but holy mother did you see the last part of the preview) I was laughing in a sort of maniacal way with a big grin on my face. I'm so freaking excited for next week.
His Name is Unknown
QUOTE (deet-tastic @ May 23 2010, 01:29 PM) *
It was an interesting part to end the episode.
And what's up with Bones and their previews? They ruined that Bradley makes an epic entrance.
(but holy mother did you see the last part of the preview) I was laughing in a sort of maniacal way with a big grin on my face. I'm so freaking excited for next week.

I know, right? Especially since Bones removed that manga panel of Bradley coming to his sense underwater and finding the drainage pipe escape route. Those who had no previous experience with Arakawa's version of the story might have actually thought Bradley met his end there (even though I wished the direction had made it seem a bit more final, but w/e).

...it seems to be the fate of the failed fuhrer candidates to be left in the scrapheap; first forsaken by their country, then by their maker, now even the animators are giving them the cold shoulder. At least we got to see one of them being all hardcore and slitting Riza's throat...oh... wait dry.gif
Flamez_Freak
Well . I see that my previous post has been deleted . . Well , i don't mind . . Good enough
speaking about this episode , it has been awesome stuff . . . The animators have turned it around from the previous episode , and have done really well this time around . . . The episode was gripping . More kills , spills and chills . Kept me glued to my seat smile.gif the preview looks awesome as well . . Full thoughts about the episode after i watch a subbed version smile.gif
ShadowCat17
Really? I actually thought the last episode was better than this one. At least, the last one didn't have quite as much to live up to. The best part of this episode I thought was Greed's pwnage after the Bradley fight. Nice animation - you could tell Lin/Greed was legit pissed off, the explosions were cool, and it did surprisingly well for the time it deviated from the manga. Buccaneer's dying/death seemed a little dragged out - I would have rather they cut/moved some of his earlier talking and instead just focused on the last part. They kind of messed up the Riza scene - Roy only seemed about as concerned as he did when Havoc got impaled (still not bad, but it should be like he just had the holy grail stolen from him), and the art was a little wonky here as well. Overall not bad, but the manga handled this section better imo
deet-tastic
^there's always hope that the English VA Travis Willinham will scream how the manga panel has him screaming.
Hagaren_4ever
I always thought of FMA brotherhood as a bit more realistic with the injuries it gives people. I mean, as realistic as you can get in an anime where you have alchemists running around everywhere. I mean, people in brotherhood tend to get scars over injuries that wouldn't give, say, Naruto a scar. Often times, they canNOT defy gravity, and best of all, they have a reasonable amount of blood loss. Unfortunately, I'm just gonna have to slap a big fat, "YEAH, RIGHT" on how much Riza bled and was still able to live, let alone talk. Most anime, at least ones that share the quality of darkness that FMA has, give their characters gallons and gallons of blood, and the amount wouldn't have really bothered me, seeing as it came out of the jugular, one of the fastest bleeding injuries you can get, had it not been for the fact that she was still alive. Just... no.

Later we see that after Mei closes her wound, she... didn't lose consciousness? She could stand upright? And I'm not entirely sure how much time passed between the chapter this episode protrays and chapter 107, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't even a day, and she seems pretty okay. I don't know, it's just... weird. At the blood drive at our school, we had students fainting after giving up ONE PINT of blood, so really? C'mon.
FailToImpress
^I totally agree with you about Riza still somehow being alive. For such a big spurt of blood like that, it had to come from a pretty big artery... she'd have passed out within seconds.

QUOTE (His Name is Unknown @ May 23 2010, 06:18 PM) *
I'm seriously considering making a compilation of all the instances of characters screaming BRAD-O-LEEEE in this new series. It's becoming his trademark. laugh.gif

Omg please do. laugh.gif

-I thought Greed was awesome. It's probably the first time in ages where I've thought 'omg this is so cool' about him. I love his VA.
-Not nearly enough emotion in terms of animation and voice from Roy when Riza was injured... it was a lot more dramatic in the manga.

Those are my main thoughts, but all in all a very good episode. I want to see next week's episode so badly but at the same time I really don't. sad.gif
Billea_the_Turtle
-I'm not the only one who got little teary-eyed while watching this episode, right?
-Ling's VA did an amazing job during this episode. You could feel his emotion during the scene where he was calling out for a doctor who could use alchemy. It made me tear up. It really did.
-Did Ranfan's blood mix with her tears in the manga? Can't remember...
-Now Greed pwning the Central troops was great. You could see that Greedling was mad like crazy. I thought that "Battle Scherzo" fit very nicely in this scene.
-DANTE CAMEO (It's the old lady, just so you know)
-Buccaneer... ;_;
-Awesome eyecatches!
-In the manga, when Olivier heard about Buccaneer's death, she looked surprised and a little sad. Here, she just looks pissed off. I wonder why...
-Truth!Father looks weird with Hohenheim in his belly.
-Heyyy new creep music!
-Roy's VA can do a better job screaming than that. Come on now.
-Okay. How do you bleed that much without even passing out??? And being able to talk as well? Sure... I guess this calls for suspension of disbelief.
-Nice cliffhanger ending.
-Cool music for the preview. But why does the preview spoil Bradley's epic return?? WHY. And next episode is called "Lost Light" You know what's coming, manga-readers.
deet-tastic
I'd like to point out the brilliant detail in Lanfans tear. When it mixed into the blood on Greeds cheek. It was legit.
Hagaren_4ever
^Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I liked that part of the episode. I got so pissed off about the whole Riza blood thing that I completely forgot to mention anything else. Haha. Sorry guys.

Yeah, I liked that. Also, I don't know if it was just a couple of bad translations, but I think Dr. Goldthooth refered to Riza as the Colonal's "beloved"? Correct me if I'm wrong. If I'm not, than I'm happy. (Totally not a fangirl.)

Anyhoo, on the lighter side of things, am I the only one that thought Hohenheim popping out of Truth!Father's crotch was funny? I laughed when I saw it in the manga, too! Really? No one else? Huh. Well, shoot me them. ohmy.gif
deet-tastic
I giggled at crotch face hoho

And my translation I saw was as "beloved" too. Which makes me happy.
I'm still upset at Roy's va though. Or.. the voice director I should say.
Flamez_Freak
Thats exactly why i wanted riza to die , or at least , lose her speech . . . To make the entire scene a lot more realistic and make this show a tad different from other shonen in which all the good guys survive . . . And i'm a soon to be doctor , i know where riza got slit and she shouldn't be conscious after that much blood loss . . . People speakin about the slit occuring at the site of the jugular are right . . . The jugular has two branches which terminate into the subclavian vein , which is the largest trunk in the entire head and neck region . . . If the cut was deeper , it would have been a lot worse cause this is where the majority of the major arteries (of the head and neck region) are found . . The carotid artery as well . .
Vagrant
Ugh. The ridiculous cargo elevator scenes (that still really annoys me), the really off pacing, the weird place to end it and the already oft-mentioned ridiculous blood loss...

Just didn't enjoy anything in this episode. :\
Hagaren_4ever
QUOTE (Flamez_Freak @ May 24 2010, 06:45 AM) *
...The jugular has two branches which terminate into the subclavian vein , which is the largest trunk in the entire head and neck region . . . If the cut was deeper , it would have been a lot worse cause this is where the majority of the major arteries (of the head and neck region) are found . . The carotid artery as well . .

It's nice to hear someone with some actual medical experience agree with me, seeing as all I know so far about that matter is what I've learned my Freshman and Sophomore years in high school. laugh.gif

Now that I've cooled down, I think a lot of FMA's viewers just enjoy the sight of blood, and they were doing a little fanservice for they're sake. Unfortunately, it as at the expense of us realists. Sorta like when an anime throws too much female fanservice in our faces. All the guys are like "Dude, I'd totally tap that." *rolls eyes* and all of the girls, (at the least the ones like me, who are straight as an arrow laugh.gif) Are like, "No way a girl could have boobs THAT big and THAT perky without surgery." dry.gif

Sorry, I kinda got away from the point there, but I think you guys get what I mean.
Forsaken Love
This has gotta be one of my favourite episodes of the series, my love for Greeling went through the roof xD And I allways loved that LingxRanfan moment where shes holding on to him and her tears hit his face <3 Greeling is just full of so much win! XD His VA did a great job too. Loved the roy and riza scene too, thought that was done great, the animation was also brilliant this week I thought, and I thought the ending was a great place to end it, they usually arnt too good at eploiting the mangas cliffhangers, but I thought this was great. Pretty excited for next week, remember when I was reading next weeks events in the manga, I had to stop half way through because I was getting too stressed XD better ready the tissues haha
Hagaren_4ever
Oops, double post, here let me fix it.

Okay, I actually think that LingxLanfan is one of the cutest couples the show has, and I absolutely loved this episode for that. I think that big emotional moments with Lanfan is one of the few things that can bring the Ling out of Greed, and I've always loved that aspect of the story.

Call me a masochist, but even though a little tear will streak my cheek next episode, I'm actually looking forward to it. I can't wait to see how they're gonna do this. I think packing so much story into what, 5 episodes? is gonna be very entertaining to say the least. I hope they reserve only the best animation for these episodes and all of the weird bulky stuff we've had to deal with will pay off.
Broken Chouchou
Ling is what, 15, 16? I always figured Lan Fan to be around 19 - 20. I don't see a romantic relationship here, even though mutually strong feelings are a given between the two. Not to ruin the mood or anything... we don't know Lan Fan's age, she might be Ling's age, I've just gotten the impression that she's older.

Anyway, yeah, I liked this episode. It carried a lot of emotional weight for me; Ling and Lan Fan - whose actors performed really well btw, especially Ling's, at times I didn't even recognise it as his voice - scenes were great. The sheer sorrow and desperation in Ling's voice sent shivers through my body. Then we have Buccaneer's death. The music here was perfect. And Olivier's reaction to when she hears about it... well, there were a lot of things that got to me.

Not to mention the Greed going full out epicness. He definitely deserved to have that track accompany him ^^ The only complaint would be that it didn't last long enough! And it could have been gorier! Though I love it when he stands on the pile of rubble surrounded by flames, and the camera closes up on the blood dripping from his hand. Even if we didn't get to see it, we can imagine the things he did wink.gif And everything just screams quality, from the flames, the blood, and not to mention his face. This whole shot was very cool. And the changes involving the elevator worked a lot better than I had imagined.

And I actually thought that Roy's emotion did show well; he didn't scream hysterically - not something I would expect from Roy - and there wasn't as dramatic facial expressions as in a few of the manga panels. But just look at how his face is twitching. I thought it was good. I agree that maybe the situation didn't feel filled with crazy, senseless desperation, but it felt very dire nonetheless. And the cliffhanger was a good way of ending it.

Side note; I compared the voices of Dante from series 1 with her cameo appearance as that old lady in this episode, and no, sorry to say, I'm pretty sure it isn't the same voice actors tongue.gif
Flamez_Freak
QUOTE (Hagaren_4ever @ May 24 2010, 06:01 PM) *
QUOTE (Flamez_Freak @ May 24 2010, 06:45 AM) *
Thats exactly why i wanted riza to die , or at least , lose her speech . . . To make the entire scene a lot more realistic and make this show a tad different from other shonen in which all the good guys survive . . . And i'm a soon to be doctor , i know where riza got slit and she shouldn't be conscious after that much blood loss . . . People speakin about the slit occuring at the site of the jugular are right . . . The jugular has two branches which terminate into the subclavian vein , which is the largest trunk in the entire head and neck region . . . If the cut was deeper , it would have been a lot worse cause this is where the majority of the major arteries (of the head and neck region) are found . . The carotid artery as well . .

It's nice to hear someone with some actual medical experience agree with me, seeing as all I know so far about that matter is what I've learned my Freshman and Sophomore years in high school. laugh.gif

Now that I've cooled down, I think a lot of FMA's viewers just enjoy the sight of blood, and they were doing a little fanservice for they're sake. Unfortunately, it as at the expense of us realists. Sorta like when an anime throws too much female fanservice in our faces. All the guys are like "Dude, I'd totally tap that." *rolls eyes* and all of the girls, (at the least the ones like me, who are straight as an arrow laugh.gif) Are like, "No way a girl could have boobs THAT big and THAT perky without surgery." dry.gif

Sorry, I kinda got away from the point there, but I think you guys get what I mean.

nice to see my medical experience come in handy smile.gif its been a while since that has happened . . Well i understand what you are trying to say , i hate this kind of unnecessary fan service . . Lots of blood and stuff is okay , but the useless fan service is , bogus . . Now stayin on topic . . . I think the colour greed's armour has been given is actually justified . . Greyish black . . . It reminds me of graphite . . Another allotrope of carbon . . Which is extremely hard . . . . I'm not stating that greed's armour is actually graphite , but i think thats where it gets its colour from . . smile.gif

and yes , i'm certain that the following episodes will most certainly have top notch animation . . Bones has a history of saving up budget for the final episodes . . . (first fma anyone ) can't wait for the next episode , which is worked upon by the guy who was responsible for episode 48 . . (some tetsuya dude) smile.gif

cherry-chan. :D
I say this is a good episode. Better than last week's. XD

- The scene with Ling and Ranfan was wonderful. I liked the tears--yeah, I didn't notice that in the manga either, but it's a good addition. I nearly cried at that part. ;__;
- Buccaneer T_____T I wanted to salute him too, if only I wasn't at my friend's house when I was watching it the first time, lol.
- Pretty eyecatches~ :3
- I find it awesome how Izumi and Ed sort of have the same fighting stance. XD (Well, of course. Master and apprentice, after all. XD)
- The part when Riza got slit... well I'd have to agree with the others. That's a ridiculous amount of blood there. XD Nevertheless, the whole scene still got me screaming like it was my life on the line (LOL, not really, but you know. Royai fangirl here, lol.) but I was a little bit disappointed with Roy's VA. Just a little bit. I didn't feel the desperation and devastation and terror and all that when he called her. Not too much. Not as I expected? Or hoped. Lol.
- But the facial expressions when Goldie was talking to him were wonderful. 8D
- And the part when they showed Riza's blood, then the Philosopher's Stone, then Roy... that was awesome too! I thought I could feel...see Roy's inner struggle in there. XD I liked that part a lot.
- And the eye signal! Awesome.

- Overall, I'm happy with this episode. I just wished the whole "Lieutenant!" thing was a little more... pained. (I thought it went a bit too fast. Oh well. I guess more of it would just be fanservice? XD) When I read that chapter in the manga, I was so shocked (and kinda hurt too, lol--come on, it's my favorite character! I thought she was going to die ;____; I was so scared, lol), I shouted out too. Haha. (Except I said "Riza!" instead of "Lieutenant!" XD) And I just imagined that Brotherhood would be like... "!!!" with it, since in the manga it took... what, half the page? XD
Weeeell, that's just my view on it. XDDD Anyway. Still a wonderful episode. I can't wait for the next ones. (I'm both excited and sad... haha. It's really going to end. ;____;)
Katya Martin
I actually thought the last scene with Hawkeye was all right.

While it's rather unrealistic that she could lose that much blood and live, I'd point out that anime characters in general contain orders of magnitude more blood than real humans, and generally survive losing as much blood as a body could realistically contain. Characters live on heroic resolve more than they do on blood. Brotherhood's not as blatant as some series I've seen, but still. It's just something that comes with the genre. (I'd also note that it was less blatant in the manga; and when she was standing up afterward, it was clear that she couldn't do so without leaning heavily on someone.

My ability to comment on the first half of the episode is limited due to the connection issues that I was having while watching it, but I thought it was pretty good.
Flamez_Freak
Barring one wonky facial expression (roy) , this episode had really nice facial expressions . Stood out for me . . . Especially lin yao . . He was just amazing . . . But really , this was all i was expecting from this episode . . . I'm satisfied , for now
Radadinator
Forget Riza. What about Buccaneer? Bradley slashed him up, broke his automail, and drove a friggin' sword all the way through his chest. Which he proceeds to yank out. And somehow he lives long enough to give his (long) last words.

Wait, just Fullmetal Alchemist in general. Like when Ed lost his leg at the age of 10 and still managed to stay conscious long enough to perform a transmutation. And then STILL stayed conscious while blood was gushing out of his arm AND leg. And he had a short conversation with Al before finally passing out. I know this is Edward, but still.

Case in point--characters of FMA tend to lose a ridiculous amount of blood at any given time and still live. It's all for the drama.
MsLinn
Sorry to bump this up but I've saved all episodes from 57 to 64 and watching them all now instead! I just can't let this episode slip without screaming out how much I liked it.
I LIKED IT!!!
I cried once (when Ran Fan cried, Ling cried and he demanded a doctor) and got extremly teared eyed yet another three times (Buccaneer's death with the blue skies, when Ed yelled "Alphonse!" (...it just gets to me when he uses the full name...) and when they focused on Roy's shaking eye...I am a crybaby.).
Ran Fan's tear mixed with the blood was extremly beautiful and a still screanshot doesn't make it justice.
Greedling's rampage was heartbreaking and not only because of the awesome visuals.
This was also beautiful. (..I hope I don't seem weird.)
I now know why they change the stairs to a tunnel with an elevator. Just to make Greedling seem more bad A. And so they could blow the s*** up.

(Total side note; people acctually seem to have purple eyes in Amestris, not just homunculi.)

<MsLinn - Please don't worry about "bumping" old FMA:Brotherhood anime episode discussion threads. There are many FMA fans who are just recently started watching this series, as well our board members in various countries outside of Japan or U.S. with much delayed official viewing schedules. Therefore, we don't mind anyone adding new posts to any of our FMA:B episode discussion threads. biggrin.gif ~ Tombow>
Michiyo-
Please add FMA:B English dubbed episode 58 (on CN on Adult Swim) talk-back/discussions here. smile.gif

FMA:B will air 1:00 AM - 1: 30 AM and 5:00 AM - 5:30 AM eastern time. smile.gif
Tombow
For anyone who missed this episode, it will be on again tonight, directly following episode 57, on Adult Swim later tonight. smile.gif
Tombow
For anyone who missed this episode, it will be on again tonight, directly following episode 57, on Adult Swim later tonight. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.