Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Episode 57: Eternal Rest - Content Discussion Thread
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Anime
Chiyo
Please post the discussions on the content of episode 57 here.
This thread is declared as a Spoiler zone for the content of the first 57 episodes.

Please don't ask for links on where to watch this episode, raw or subbed. Discussions on 'where to watch' belong in Where/How to Watch FMA Series 2. Don't post screencaps unless highlighting something important about the content of the episode. Just like on in most area's of the board, avoid one line posts, spam of any kind or conversations between two members.

Screenshots: see Michiyo's post.

Summary: Running under the streets, Ranfan learns of the return of Bradley. Fu confronts the man who he holds responsible for the loss of his granddaughter's arm. Olivier and Izumi interrogate one of the generals, who tries to get soldiers to side with him, but fails. Soldiers instead throw down their rank badges. Needing to escape Central HQ before it's overrun by enemy soldiers, Izumi suggests making an escape tunnel, and the group take the secret path beneath the Fuhrer's office. Edward, Roy, Riza, and Scar encounter the scientist with the gold tooth who helped Father create Wrath. The man summons the potential Fuhrers that weren't killed in the experiment to make Wrath, who attack the group. Greed and Fu engage Wrath in combat, during which Ling takes back his body out of concern for Fu. Fu does a suicide attack with explosives, but the Fuhrer cuts the fuses. Suddenly Buccaneer runs his sword through Fu and into Wrath, injuring him. Bradley kicks the two away and they fall to the ground, just as Ranfan arrives on the scene. Izumi decides that she will leave everything up to Olivier and escape herself and the two women discuss Edward briefly. The scientist with the gold tooth activates an alchemy array formed with the alchemy labs in Central. The black hands of human transmutation take apart Edward, Alphonse, and Izumi. - © Penguintruth, taken with permission from his blog.

*WARNING*

Please follow these simple rules;

-Do not spam.
-Add spoiler tags to spoilers
-Do not go off topic
-Do not fight

Spam means one line posts that contain little content. "OMG that ep was so cool" would be an example of spam. If you enjoyed the episode please specify what you enjoyed so much, was there anything you didn't like?

Spoilers mean anything you know will happen in upcoming episodes. Not everybody reads the manga and you may reveal something they didn't know. For future episode discussion, please go to the relevant topic. If you are unsure how to use spoiler tags, please ask.

Going off topic means discussing a characters actions outside of the episode, or talking about the artwork, or upcoming episodes etc. I know this can happen easily so don't be upset if I move your posts or guide you in the right direction. Double check the forum for the right place to take your post, or if required, start a new topic.

Everybody can voice their opinion, and nobody is correct just as nobody is incorrect. Because none of you will spam (right?) people will justify why they didn't like something. You are welcome to say "well I like that part because..." but you CAN NOT say "no you are wrong because..."
Michiyo-
- Olivier and Izumi are scary but awesome.
- Oh no, Dr Goldtooth is here. And the FŁhrer candidates too.
- Still awesome fighting scenes between Bradley, Greed and Fuu.
- Poor Fuu. And Buccaneer. I feel sorry for them. The music goes well with those scenes.
- Awww, I loved the Roy/Riza teamwork. biggrin.gif
- That talk between Izumi and Olivier wasnít in the manga.
- Oh, itís finally starting.
- The scene with the black hands and the eyes were great and scary. It looks much better in the anime.
- And a cliffhanger.
- Loved this episode, canít wait for the next one. Short preview again.
amestris_star
QUOTE (Michiyo- @ May 16 2010, 10:52 AM) *

I seriously squee'd when I saw those shots... BONES has really gone serious into its Royai moments... I can't imagine what the next two episodes will be then... any idea whether the director will be the same one of Ep. 19 and 54?
penguintruth
Keyhole was being an a-hole.

My initial thoughts:

- Fu, your granddaughter cut off her own arm, so shut up about it being Bradley's fault. You guys attacked him first.
- Aw, poor General Santa.
- Uh, guys... we're going to get back to the action at some point, right?
- Dr. Goldtooth! I like how everyone's first reaction to him is disgust.
- I have to be honest. I find the whole "potential Fuhrer" army just as stupid as those homunculi zombies.
- Oh, there we go, back to the main event.
- How does Bradley's eye do that shine thing?
- It sure takes a lot just to injure Bradley. But luckily no really interesting characters were harmed.
- Completely pointless Alphonse cameo!
- Why is it all right for Riza to shoot them but Roy won't bother using his alchemy to singe them a bit?
- Olivier and Izumi... any chance of getting some OlivierxIzumi doujin?
- I like how when Goldtooth does this, not a damn thing of significance happens.

A decent episode, but there seemed to be a little padding.
Michiyo-
The screenshots are up on Random Curiosity:
http://randomc.net/2010/05/16/fullmetal-al...brotherhood-57/
Flamez_Freak
QUOTE (amestris_star @ May 16 2010, 02:27 PM) *
QUOTE (Michiyo- @ May 16 2010, 10:52 AM) *

I seriously squee'd when I saw those shots... BONES has really gone serious into its Royai moments... I can't imagine what the next two episodes will be then... any idea whether the director will be the same one of Ep. 19 and 54?

well . . . The director for episode 19 is masahiru oshiro . And the direction for episode 54 was done by hiroki kanno and ryosuke sekiguchi . . .
The ad for the next episode is some new chap . .
Edit , Tsunenori saito and takeshi yoshioka . . Are the AD'S FOR THE NEXT EPISODE
Kasumisty
The scenes were so dragged on that it was shameful. Also, the episode had a lot of QUALITY inside.

I liked the fight with Bradley and how they showed Greedling's expressions, though. Both Greed and Ling care a lot about their comrades, don't they?
Flamez_Freak
Those were some pathetic shots . . Cmon . Is this the time to slack off , bones . . That guy in the shot looks like a semi chibi roy . . Guess this episode is gonna take some criticism . . .
Mr. Deathy
Whoever animated the Roy punch up scene needs to be completely terminated from the staff, it was hilariously bad. It wasn't even like it was an artistic choice, it was just atrociously bad, his face contorted in all manner of ridiculous ways.

Anyway the Fuu and Buccanneer scene is one of my favourite from the manga but I think it was just "passable" in this episode. It didn't really disappoint me but neither did it do rise to the potential it could've had if they really played up the "shock" of Bradley being injured. I wish the music choices had been different and the music had fell completely silent when Fuu's suicide attempt failed...so that all you would hear then is a suddwn sword strike...then the image of Buccanner having stabbed Bradley...and then music returns triumphantly. The way it was done in the ep was possible, but nothing special.

As a whole I felt this ep was kind of mediocre, which is a shame as it had the potential to be one of the best. I guess budget cuts had to come somewhere though.
Forsaken Love
lol omg at those roy shots xD he either looks chibby or inhuman, wtf, BONES really has some bad consistancy in this anime, where is their quality control? unless of course these episodes had to be rushed or something because of manga catchup
Mr. Deathy
QUOTE (Forsaken Love @ May 16 2010, 11:53 AM) *
unless of course these episodes had to be rushed or something because of manga catchup

Obviously it was just a case of sneaking in some budget cuts into less important scenes. There hasn't been a single episode that's been noticibly "bad" animation wise since like the late 30's. It was inevitable eventually another cheap scene would sneak in I guess.
Broken Chouchou
Wow, Bradley/Fuu/Buccaneer scene was handled really poorly. Barely 'passable' to me. The meeting of Goldtooth lacked all sense of creepiness. The transmutation scenes were done semi-alright, but they weren't very good.

Not impressed with this episode. The general direction just didn't seem that good. Everything felt very 'meh' to me. Even the performances, on occasion.

Edit: And oh, regarding the transmutation; why are there devious little laughters when the arms materialize? This isn't the first series where there are black shadow babies residing within the gates is it...? Because this very much reminded me of that. Or am I forgetting something from the manga here?
Kasumisty
Watched the sub.

-Shig is freaking HUGE
-Animation and art are horrible. They even forgot to color Goldtooth's mustache at one point
-...do they really have time to talk and ponder while attacked by these fuhrer candidates? So cliche Bones, so cliche.
-Facestomped Greed always make me smile
-Greed moves with a speed of light
-I like that good king/bad king comparison
-...I'm a bad person for finding word "harden" wrong
-At least they made a decent job with Ling and Greed simultaneously calling for Fuu
-Hey, a music change would be nice
-Damn, the animation in that action scene is so bad it hurts to watch it
-But Roy and Riza cooperation is a good one
-Olivier talking about love for the dead and Buccaneer's death seem to have some sort of connection...
-And is Olivier's talk some kind of foreshadowing?
-DRAMATIC CIRCLE INITIATION
-Well, the "alchemic teleportation" was at least all sorts of creepy. I think I know where all that budget went.
Bag of Magic Food
Now we know why Dr. No-Name keeps his glasses so shiny, which is way better than knowing his name!

QUOTE (Mr. Deathy @ May 16 2010, 12:11 PM) *
Whoever animated the Roy punch up scene needs to be completely terminated from the staff, it was hilariously bad. It wasn't even like it was an artistic choice, it was just atrociously bad, his face contorted in all manner of ridiculous ways.

I thought he was turning into the bobblehead of himself.
Billea_the_Turtle
-Izumi and Olivier look scary as hell right now
-The QUALITY... Oh God the QUALITY in this episode
-Hey look it's those fuhrer candidate failures. Never liked them, always seemed like those zombie puppet thingies
-So Riza can pump those failures full of lead but Roy can't use alchemy? Right... moving on now
-Footstomped Greed laugh.gif
-Wow Greed you move fast
-This scene was kind of meh. Fuu going after Bradley with the suicide bomb had to have been done much much better
-Roy and Riza cooperation! Definitely Bones trying to put in another Royai scene. But I'm sure as hell not complaining!
-Buccaneer's death and Olivier talking about love for the dead must have some kind of connection. Or maybe I'm just looking too much into things
-And Olivier talking about Ed seems so ominous to me...
-Okay the activation of the circle was creepy and it looked pretty cool. That is where all the budget went this episode
-Here we go with another cliffhanger

Overall I wasn't impressed by this episode. Way too much QUALITY for my liking and Fuu's suicide bomb attempt could've been much better. At least the conversation between Olivier and Izumi was a nice touch.
His Name is Unknown
*Caution, storm cloud approaching* rolleyes.gif

Back from a long retirement from this series to make a few comments...

Initially, I had some very high hopes for this manga based outing, but after around episode 7 or 8, I could no longer stomach the self-referntial style of the new series: instead of taking the effort to establish a stand-alone anime, what Bones seemed to be shooting for was more of a "well, we can just borrow the emotional impact from the first series to avoid having to do a proper first season to Brotherhood (and make lots of money on the side, hehehe dry.gif )." That was a bit much - or should I say, not enough - for me, and I threw in the towel before the show even got to the new material...

...but, curiosity killed the cat, as they say, and once I realized the episodes had progressed to one of my favorite fights in the series (Bradley/Greedling/Fu/Bucanneer), I braced myself for the worst and clicked play.

Wow - what a disappointment. My stomach actually churned in revulsion; perhaps my timing was just horribly off, and I decided to return to the series on the wrong episode, but my goodness, the quality of the animation was horrible. As has been mentioned in a previous post, the directing felt sub-par and to me, the emotional impact of Fu's sacrifice and Bucanneer's triumph was almost completely lost. The lack of resonance was not aided by the fact that I was hearing the exact same 'sad' music that I heard three or four times in the first 10 episodes. To me, the direction of Brotherhood has been a bit heavy-handed, which is a shame, because that is in complete contrast to Arakawa's own writing (most of the time laugh.gif ).

If I might be forgiven a short digression:

In the manga version of this scene, each panel is composed for dramatic effect, and Buccaneer's reveal carries far more impact. The crazy moves which Wrath was pulling during the Greeling/Fu portion of the fight were almost completely omitted here, and what remained was sloppily animated and (in my opinion) poorly conceived in both choreography and execution. On a similar note, I feel the potential for an awesome combat scene against the fuhrer candidates was completely squandered by 'chibi-hunchback' roy and 'grandpa-fuhrer' clones. This scene came off as cheesy and unrealistic in the episode - at least in the manga, the former candidates actually looked somewhat menacing...

Hate to complain so much, but honestly, one of the only things I was actually still looking forward to in my abortive viewing of this series was the Greedling/Wrath fight...the only other point of interest being the Bradley/Scar fight. I swear, if that isn't the most epic thing which I have ever witnessed in my 23 years of existence - as it deserves to be - I am taking the time to write an official letter of complaint to Bones. Not that they'll ever read it, but at least I'll have done my part to point out the complete atrocity that was episode 57. If only they had kept the director from FMA1...that man at least knew how to compose a scene.

Lest this turn into a comparison/contrast thesis between the two shows, allow me to alleviate any lingering stench of my acid rain cloud with a few positive observations:

- Royai was a yes...except for chibi-hunchback roy (seriously, I could have sworn I saw Frollo among the fuhrer candidates)
- Olivier/Izumi...ultimate awesome combo.
- The shot where Gold-Tooth raises his hand and the candidates drop down from the ceiling was all kinds of creepy cool.

I guess what I really need right now is for someone to assure me that the episode was actually much better than I thought it was. Deep breathing..calm....the......heart rate. Just keep telling yourself: "I still have anime 1, I still have manga." biggrin.gif
Mr. Deathy
^Just for the record you seriously did choose to return for the wrong episode. This episode was one of the most disappointing for months.

There have been a ton of amazing episodes that matched and occasionally exceeded the manga. All of Roy vs Envy was great, for example, which was a few weeks ago.

You should probably check out last week's episode for more of the Greedling - Bradley stuff anyway. It was better done as well.

As was the skirmish in the mansion (beginning of ep 45). You should check that out here as an example of when the series gets things very right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdDpKVPDhAg
His Name is Unknown
Well, that was unexpectedly awesome...

...apparently then, I just have bad luck in picking favorite fights, because the Wrath/Greedling fight in that link was extremely well done. What's even more odd is the quality of the first part of the Greed fight from episode 56. I managed to hunt it down on youtube and it was almost as impressive as the link you just supplied.

Hmm, it may just be repetitious, but I find myself echoing a sentiment expressed earlier in the thread that quality control was severely lacking in this episode. For there to be such a contrast in animation in two conflicts concerning the same characters...it just seems a bit crazy.

Well, at least this new series might be good for an AMV or two...thanks for *slightly* alleviating my cardiac arrest Dr. Deathy.
deet-tastic
QUALITY! IT HAS IT!
They're obviously saving the budget money for the coming episodes.

So, setting that aside. I actually really liked the episode. I mean, if you really do take out the QUALITY factor, it was a good episode. I liked the choice of music in the different scenes and there was some great action. LANFAN IS ALL FAST AND STUFF. I loved the literal WHOOSH noises that went with her in the beginning.

Bones ships royai. It's been obvious since... forever.
EveningAlchemist
Although the quality was poking at me, I actually liked this episode too! Fuu's blood was animated very well in some parts and I did feel a lot of emotion when they finally got King Bradley. It was an amazing stunt for two characters that weren't quite main characters. Lanfan's emotional yell impacted me too!

Royai made my day! 'Cause fighting zombies together in a beautiful, coordinated way totally makes you a couple. Or at least a good team... Olivier and Izumi are one of my favourite teams too, and I loved that little speech they stuck in. Kind of a nice break from the action and nasty fighting old zombie men.

Activating the circle thing was pretty intense Even if it's not the actually Amestris-wide circle yet. and the music near the end was very dramatic! What a way to end it too... was Bone saving all the cliffhanger ending until the end?

As for the animation it's more of a "Haha" laugh and point kind of thing then a "It ruined the whole episode thing." laugh.gif
Flamez_Freak
this is more criticizm than wat i expected...especially after seeing this episode get so much praise on other forums......i guess ppl over there didnt notice the QUALITY....thats Y.....ahahahahhahah...if it wasnt for kasumisty , i wouldnt have noticed it either....
FMAobsessed
I need to catch up on FMA, but judging from other comments, it seems like this episode didn't live up to its expectations. But I will still watch it. I am disappointed that the quality still has its ups and downs. I wish it would stay consistent.

The sreenshot of Roy and Riza fighting, and leaning back to back made my day. Well, other things made my day besides a screenshot too.
Kaori Ayanami
Those are not zombies, but brain-washed kind-of-old men. XD

lol omg at those roy shots xD he either looks chibby or inhuman, wtf, BONES really has some bad consistancy in this anime, where is their quality control?

That wasn't SO bad. It's a very quick scene, so it was over soon; screenshots are needed to appreciate the extent of the problem. sleep.gif

Curiously enough, I didn't like the Roy & Riza tandem scene, because it had a moment when both pointed their weapons to each other, as that was an unnecessary repeat of the Riza vs. seemingly-Roy-Envy. Yeah, that time it wasn't really Roy, but it had the same effect. Yet, other than that... ^^
deet-tastic
It'd've been cooler if they had known they were back to back with eachother and Hawkeye fired some shots and Mustang did a snap or two as a swarm of old guys came at them. (I'm picturing this like Mr. and Mrs. Smith, that scene at the end where the two of them are being awesome back to back)
*goes to youtube*
This.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G5bi_46Crk

I'm not sure the episode would have been able to hand that much awesome though, that's probably why they didn't do that.
That OR, they didn't want to kill of all their royai fandom and most of their viewer ratings. Because after that, the fans would be dead from pure happy heart attacks. There would be no fans left to watch the show. And any new viewers, would die after watching that as well.
cherry-chan. :D
(It's been forever since I've logged in here, but I occasionally lurk around, lol. Now that I'm on summer break, I can finally post.) -ahem- XD Wow. Haha. Episode 57 gives me mixed feelings. XD I don't particularly hate it, nor do I like it as much as the other episodes. I'd have to agree that there was a little lack of quality in this one. (Those Roy screencaps made me laugh and cringe at the same time! HAHA) Maybe they're saving all their budget for some epic Royai scenes sooner or later the more intense action scenes in the future eps. (Seeing as they're almost catching up with the manga. ;____;)

Anyway... while there were some not-so-good parts and while this episode didn't particularly give me that "omg this is so epic i'm going to watch it again" feeling... it was okay, I guess. XD There were some good parts.

The Greed VS Wrath fight was good. I liked how Greed and Ling reacted at the same time to Fuu. And Ranfan was pretty awesome too, even if she was just running around and sneaking... when she called out for Fuu, that was awesome. The part when Fuu attempts to injure Bradley by "sacrificing" himself was kinda good in the beginning. (The blood and stuff, the reactions--awesome) But when Bradley counterattacked, everything just went downhill. Simply put, that scene didn't have as much impact as it did in the manga.

I liked the Olivier-Izumi scene. And Olivier talking about love for the dead and stuff... I couldn't help thinking about Buccaneer. ohmy.gif T__T Oh, and I just noticed that Sig is huuuuuge. He's bigger than Armstrong! And I never thought ANYONE could be bigger than Armstrong! Except for Sloth, of course. But Sloth is a homunculus, so.. meh. XD

Dr. Goldtooth (I think I used to call him "the freako doctor" while I was reading the manga, lol) was weird as expected. XD
When he called on the Fuhrer Candidates and they suddenly jumped down from the ceiling or whatever, that was pretty cool. Haha. The fight scenes here were... okay I guess. I liked how Roy and Riza teamed up. It was kinda cool how they were back-to-back and stuff. But what I really didn't get was WHY Riza could shoot the Fuhrer Candidates, but Roy couldn't use his alchemy. I was waiting for him to do it, but he didn't, so I was quite disappointed. (Wait, did Roy use Flame Alchemy in the manga when this happened? Hmm.)

Oh well. Now that Goldtooth's there... things are going to get crazy. XD I just hope Bones will make it up to us next time. (And won't ever repeat those mistakes again. Ever. XD)
His Name is Unknown
Well, I watched it again...

...while I still think the episode could have been more, it is growing on me. The quality wasn't unbelievably bad, and as others have pointed out, the blood effects and such were actually quite nice during the Fuu/Bradley exchange. I did thoroughly enjoy Fuu's vacation the second time around.

Part of the difficulty - for me, at least - in adapting to the manga panels being ripped straight from the comic is that the timing feels off. When you see it happen in 'real time,' it loses a bit of that impact that only the reader can create by going panel-by-panel and pausing to given Arakawa's art the appropriate emphasis.

Just goes to show that what works well on the page does not always translate to the screen. With that in mind, I think that in some respects this adaptation can be too faithful to the manga, if that makes any sense.

My initial impression is beginning to mend a bit - it was just such a shock to skip from like episode 1,4, and 5 to 57 and have there be such drastic quality drops in shading, line art, and fluidity. Having seen a few clips from other chapters though, the quality definitely improves, so my shock has lessened. The Fuhrer candidate fight was actually quite good; the transition from candidate to Bradley was awesome and thematically very powerful.

Of all the villains, Bradley is unequivocally my favorite - I love the inner tension in Wrath - you can see his conflict. He admires humans...at least it appears he cares for his wife, regardless of what he might say to the contrary, and there's just something so right about the king single-handedly defending his castle - almost as awesomely old-school as that mustache. I also admire that due to his single soul philosopher's stone, he actually has to be skilled in order to survive. Sure he's fast, but Bradley cannot afford to make mistakes...also, he's named after a tank and makes real tanks retreat in his presence. Bad-arse, ladies and gentlemen. Bad. arse.

Weather forecast for this evening has officially been downgraded from acid rain to partly cloudy, with mild showers and a chance for sunshine by mid-week. laugh.gif
Vagrant
Summary: Stuff happened.

Like His Name is Unknown said earlier, they completely mishandled Buccaneer and Fuu's finale. It was badly directed and lacked any emotional impact or 'epicness'. It was again just...Some stuff that happened.
I was also slightly bothered by the additions to Izumi and Armstrong's goodbye. Made Izumi seem almost cowardly with the "we're all fighting together smile and nod" and her "well, bye anyway."
Also, Roy's fighting the Fuhrer candidates with his hands was like whaaaaaat.

I personally didn't notice animation problems, but compared to the clarity and style of the Fuhrer three-way in the manga, they kinda screwed that up.
Broken Chouchou
'Some stuff happened'

That's very describing for quite the number of Brotherhood episodes.
A Pierrot's Aria
Personally, I actually really liked this episode, I really enjoyed the Fuhrer v Fu and Ling and it was cool to see Roy engaging in some close range combat. =P

I think a lot of the parts in this episode I barely remember happening in the manga (because my memory is terrible!), like the part with Fu and Buccaneer; so I found those bits really shocking and I thought it was really well done. I liked how Fu had nothing against Buccaneer using him as cover and ultimately stabbing him with the sword to get to Bradley.

Gold-tooth's eyes looked really freaky, too. xD

I know that me liking this is probably against what everyone else thought, but meh, I really enjoyed it! Sometimes 'stuff' does need to happen. :/
Vlyse
Been a while since I posted my thoughts, I think, so here goes.

-I don't remember the Central soldiers taking off their badges. I liked it in the manga when they just took off their hats in front of the general.
-Er, Goldtooth's room is kinda..small. Considering all that will be going on in there.
-For some reason, I always liked the Fuhrer candidates a tad more than the zombies. Maybe it's because they were a plot point brought up and never addressed until now?
-I liked it more in the manga when Fu backflips after Bradley slices his forehead. Here he hops slowly 3 times...? Still a great panel-by-panel fight, though.
-When Ling saved Fu, he got faster than Bradley.
-One is All, All is One is definitely a good track for this scene, but I dunno..maybe there was better? Like stopping the music when Bradley gets stabbed.
-Ed, Al, Izumi splitscreen! Always love those. I loved how they kept this page intact, but Olivier and Sig looked soo...static.

The worst part of this episode for me was not the unnoticeable lack of art quality (really, I never noticed it until the Roy pictures were posted) or the padding, but they didn't have Izumi and Olivier double shoe smack. Just Izumi twice. sad.gif
Bag of Magic Food
QUOTE (His Name is Unknown @ May 17 2010, 02:01 AM) *
My initial impression is beginning to mend a bit - it was just such a shock to skip from like episode 1,4, and 5 to 57 and have there be such drastic quality drops in shading, line art, and fluidity. Having seen a few clips from other chapters though, the quality definitely improves, so my shock has lessened.

There are so many animation teams working on this series, you could say the quality fluctuates in an approximately 10-episode cycle, if that post about the "7s" was anything to go by.
SnakeByte117
Hello, delurking to add another thing that bugs me about this episode. No, it's not the animation or how they handled the Fuu/Bucaneer thing, but rather something that the series has been doing quite a bit. What's bothering me is Roy actually fighting without alchemy, something he never does in the manga. Manga-Roy, to me at least, always came off as not very strong physically. That makes sense because he has that flame alchemy to do all his fighting for him so no need to learn how to fight otherwise(Ironic, as when he went blind I thought he was going to be completely useless as he couldn't fight without his alchemy. Gogo Roy/Riza teamwork! XD). Anyway, he seems to rely completely on his flames to fight, and can't even dodge stuff sometimes. For example, on the last panel of this page,
http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/45/30/
Al even seems to be hauling him out of the way of Scar's attack. However, in, I think, two episodes so far he has been seen fighting without alchemy. Just kind of bugs me a bit.

TL;DR: Roy fighting without alchemy didn't happen in the manga and it kinda bugs me. Sorry if that was pointless/too long.

/ramble

Anyway, all in all, that episode was KIND of dissappointing. For Fuu/Bucaneer thing, I didn't really think it was THAT bad... not as cool as I'd like, but Ling and Lanfan's voice actors did not dissappoint IMO. Lanfan's sceam of OJIISAN!! at the end sent shivers down my spine. Still, I wish they had done something to make it stand out, which they didn't. Maybe they will make Greedling pulling a Terminator in the next episode make up for it.
deet-tastic
I've just realized why the fight seemed *off*
It was really rushed. I know that going into animation it would seem fast, but that's not what I'm talking about.
take episode 45's mansion fight for example. That is a VERY fast fight. But it didn't feel rushed at all.
This one did.
Irena
QUOTE (SnakeByte117 @ May 17 2010, 03:56 PM) *
Hello, delurking to add another thing that bugs me about this episode. No, it's not the animation or how they handled the Fuu/Bucaneer thing, but rather something that the series has been doing quite a bit. What's bothering me is Roy actually fighting without alchemy, something he never does in the manga. Manga-Roy, to me at least, always came off as not very strong physically. That makes sense because he has that flame alchemy to do all his fighting for him so no need to learn how to fight otherwise(Ironic, as when he went blind I thought he was going to be completely useless as he couldn't fight without his alchemy. Gogo Roy/Riza teamwork! XD). Anyway, he seems to rely completely on his flames to fight, and can't even dodge stuff sometimes. For example, on the last panel of this page,
http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/45/30/
Al even seems to be hauling him out of the way of Scar's attack. However, in, I think, two episodes so far he has been seen fighting without alchemy. Just kind of bugs me a bit.

I liked seeing Roy fight without alchemy because it seemed to make more sense. He's a soldier; he shouldn't be exempt from learning basic self-defense skills just because he happens to be an alchemist. Yeah, Brotherhood has made some changes, but I think this is a good one.

As to why he isn't using alchemy in this episode . . . I really don't know. e___e Maybe the soldiers were moving too fast, or he didn't want to accidentally hit someone? In the manga, the fight didn't seem to last long enough for him to get in a good hit.

Kaori Ayanami
Roy doesn't use flame alchemy because the Fuhrer candidates were too fast. Remember Bradley. XD
QUOTE (SnakeByte117 @ May 17 2010, 03:56 PM) *
What's bothering me is Roy actually fighting without alchemy, something he never does in the manga. Manga-Roy, to me at least, always came off as not very strong physically. That makes sense because he has that flame alchemy to do all his fighting for him so no need to learn how to fight otherwise

That last bit makes Armstrong cry. XD
What kind of logic is that? He can be strong AND a good alchemist. As I said, Armstrong is... So is Izumi.

Once that I said that...
True, Roy doesn't seem to be strong in the manga. But he did fight without alchemy. Shortly after the stuff in this episode happened in the manga, he snatched a Fuhrer's candidate sword and thrusted him with it, though it was not exactly a vigorous move but a flexy XD, clever one. Give Roy a break.

QUOTE (Irena @ May 17 2010, 10:54 PM) *
He's a soldier; he shouldn't be exempt from learning basic self-defense skills just because he happens to be an alchemist.

Well, as for effective self-defense, target practice is the thing to learn, at least in Amestris military. Hand-to-hand fighting and such may be good physical workout, but it doesn't guarantee physical defense at all. Fuery, anyone? Even at war he was still the comm boy, and when invading Central (or on a mission, before) he relied on his firearm all the time. He never did (nor I think he could) defend himself hand-to-hand or something like that.
Tezrath
I don't think I've ever heard of a military that doesn't force its new recruits through "basic training" (which includes hand to hand fighting) even if the branch they end up in later doesn't require them to use it. Not saying they are all any good at it, but they do have to pass a basic standard in PT

And Roy does try his signature 'snap' at least once early in that fight, but the fuerer candidate comes in too fast and blocks his arm--knocking it aside.

I like the fight with the bradley goons, but they made it last too long in the anime... still liked it, but they were all restrained a whole lot faster in the manga. I mean come on! --as if Ed or Roy would stand a chance fighting against Bradley for even 5 seconds without using alchemy!

Honestly I didn't even notice the 'quality control issues' while I was watching it. I only saw how laughable some of it was when I found the screen-shots. And really, for scenes that go by in a couple seconds its not that atrocious. We aren't supposed to be watching anime through stills after all! wink.gif
zonkiethegreat
The episode was good, but WOW....the animation and quality was HORRIBLE. When I saw Roy, my JAW DROPPED. WTF DID THEY DO TO HIM????
What happened to the amazing animation from his battle with Envy???

I mean seriously, why are they cutting back on the budget NOW???? We are only like 6 episodes away from the END!!!
Vlyse
QUOTE (zonkiethegreat @ May 18 2010, 09:02 PM) *
I mean seriously, why are they cutting back on the budget NOW

I'm hoping this means incredible animation for the remaining episodes. They deserve it more, imo. happy.gif
Hagaren_4ever
^That's what I was hoping as well. Usually when things are this noticably bad, it means the pendulum is gonna come back soon enough, and we'll get real high quality animation. Which is to be expected for the final episodes.
Flamez_Freak
This week animation and artwork is actually a blessing in disguise . . . It bodes well for the next 6 episodes . . . And what i read on the future episodes discussion makes me feel bones has everythin under control . .
Gregory House
Really that this episode give me what I expected, even if some animated sequences were pretty "strange", in general terms it wasn't bad at all. By the way, 4 days ago I did an AMV about the fight between Bradley, Ling-Greed & Fu, here you have, and of course it has a lot of SPOILERS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTdLsNJOC-Y

penguintruth
It was a decent enough episode, but some of the art was a little wonky here and there, even when there wasn't any action going on, and I never liked those Fuhrer candidates. They're just another unnecessary obstacle, last minute mooks like the homunculi dolls.

My review is up on my blog.
Chiyo
I have moved some comments on budget and art quality over to Art & Animation Style. Please feel free to continue there. I have moved them there as although prompted by this episode, the discussion is relevant across the series.
Flamez_Freak
This is one of the view episodes that got censored on animax asia . . . . The blood spray from fuu's tummy and forehead were censored , and so was bradley gettin stabbed . . . .
FMAobsessed
It may have been the website I was watching the episode on, but did anyone else notice that Fuu charging Wrath, and revealing that he had a bomb, before Bucaneer stabbed him was cut?

I thought the epsode was quite good. I thought that Ling and Ranfan's voice actors did a great job during the battle with Wrath.

The final scene with Ed, Al, and Izmi being taking was chilling. Especially when Ed was reaching his arm out to practically strangle Glod Tooth.
Bag of Magic Food
Must have been the website. Who's been chopping that scene up?
Tombow
Please add FMA:Brotherhood English dubbed episode 57 (on Adult Swim in U.S.) talk-back/discussions here. smile.gif

FMA:Brotherhood airs 1:00 AM - 1: 30 AM and 5:00 AM - 5:30 AM U.S. eastern time. smile.gif
Tombow
<This post will be merged later>

For anyone who missed this episode, it will be on again tonight, directly followed by episode 58, on Adult Swim later tonight. smile.gif
Tombow
For anyone who missed this episode, it will be on again on Adult Swim (U.S.) tonight/this morning. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.