Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Episode 56: The Return Of The Führer - Content Discussion Thread
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Anime
Chiyo
Talk-back/content discussion for English dubbed episode on Adult Swim starts on page 2. smile.gif

Please post the discussions on the content of episode 56 here.
This thread is declared as a Spoiler zone for the content of the first 56 episodes.

As exciting as the release of chapter 107 is, do not mention any spoilers here please.

Please don't ask for links on where to watch this episode, raw or subbed. Discussions on 'where to watch' belong in Where/How to Watch FMA Series 2. Don't post screencaps unless highlighting something important about the content of the episode. Just like on in most area's of the board, avoid one line posts, spam of any kind or conversations between two members.

Screenshots: see Broken Chouchou's post

Summary: Hohenheim reveals that he is working in tandem with the souls residing in himself, surprising Father. Father is attacked by the souls he took into himself from Hohenheim, but sheds his mortal shell, becoming a black phantom, resembling his flask form. Above, Fuhrer King Bradley/Wrath attacks the Briggs troops, making quick work of Buccaneer. However, Greed appears before he can attack Falman. The news of the Fuhrer's return are relayed to Mrs. Bradley at the radio station. Mustang's subordinates are forced to blame the coup on Major General Armstrong. Greed engages in battle with Wrath, with Buccaneer returning and taking Bradley's sword from him (by being impaled with it). Central troops move into the HQ, but are taken out by Fuu, who then comes to the aid of Greed and the others.
- © Penguintruth, used with his permission, taken from his blog.

*WARNING*

Please follow these simple rules;

-Do not spam.
-Add spoiler tags to spoilers
-Do not go off topic
-Do not fight

Spam means one line posts that contain little content. "OMG that ep was so cool" would be an example of spam. If you enjoyed the episode please specify what you enjoyed so much, was there anything you didn't like?

Spoilers mean anything you know will happen in upcoming episodes. Not everybody reads the manga and you may reveal something they didn't know. For future episode discussion, please go to the relevant topic. If you are unsure how to use spoiler tags, please ask.

Going off topic means discussing a characters actions outside of the episode, or talking about the artwork, or upcoming episodes etc. I know this can happen easily so don't be upset if I move your posts or guide you in the right direction. Double check the forum for the right place to take your post, or if required, start a new topic.

Everybody can voice their opinion, and nobody is correct just as nobody is incorrect. Because none of you will spam (right?) people will justify why they didn't like something. You are welcome to say "well I like that part because..." but you CAN NOT say "no you are wrong because..."
penguintruth
My initial thoughts:

- It's great that they're keeping the flashback to Hohenheim being found by the Xingese.
- Hohenheim is so awesome.
- Father's Truthy form!
- Poor bastards. They have no chance in hell against Bradley.
- Aw, poor Falman.
- Greed returns! That's weird music to use for it, though.
- Seems like their giving Mustang's underlings more to do than in the manga, even
- Ol' Bradley has the moves.
- Get 'em, Greed!
- What's with this filler material? Get back to Greed!
- Okay, there we go.
- Oh hey, old man Fuu!

Can't wait to see this in better quality.
Michiyo-
- Oh, we start with the Hoho flashback that was in chapter 97.
- More Xerxes flashbacks. Too much explaining.
- Bye-bye, old Father. Here comes the creepy monster with the eyes.
- Back to Bradley. Wow, the animation is awesome.
- Poor Buccaneer and Falman.
- And here comes Greed.
- I don’t remember that much talking at the Radio Station in the manga.
- And the Bradley vs. Greedling fight starts. The animation is still great. But Bradley is too strong.
- Nice entrance from Fuu with great music.
- It’s already over? The preview was too short.
Broken Chouchou
Screens: http://randomc.net/2010/05/09/fullmetal-al...brotherhood-56/
Flamez_Freak
Thanks a million for those screens . . Well , looks like the preview has been shortened this time as well . . And the episode was pretty much action packed as expected . . Can't wait for the subs now . . . Till , then will be waiting for a good quality raw . . This has been an awesome weekend for fma/fmab fans . . Soooooo much epicness in two days . . . smile.gif
_Jelly
Thanks for the screens Broken Chouchou. Man, I usually only look at the screens now and barely watch the episodes. =\

Oh yeah and since this scene's pretty horific, I thought I'd post it here so everyone can see it in all it's glory

-slash- -squish- -splat-

Poor Briggs guys.
Mr. Deathy
Some strange changes (tank in the tunnel, added filler scenes, etc) but overall a very entertaining action packed episode. No single moments of animation that were quite as good as the Greedling vs Wrath stuff in 45, but still overall great animation wise.

Ended exactly where I expected it too though, which is unfortunate but since next episode is titled "Eternal Rest" then it couldn't really have went any further.
Broken Chouchou
Yess!! Awesome!! I love how the subs are up so fast nowadays biggrin.gif Will watch this before I go to bed. In bed. Sweet.
Flamez_Freak
Lookin at the first few minutes of the episode , and a few seconds of the bradley fight , makes me feel that this episode has a really fast pacing . . . Just like how the manga was paced . . . Extremely quick . . . I mean even arakawa raced thru this portion of the manga . . . And actually , its a good thing that bones has paced this episode perfectly . . Great place to end the episode too . . .
And great to see this episode subbed early . .
Bag of Magic Food
Holy crap, how are they gonna beat the fuhrer without a magical bonepile weakness? They may as well call him Darth Wrath now!

And where did Selim run off to?
Mr. Deathy
QUOTE (Bag of Magic Food @ May 9 2010, 01:59 PM) *
Holy crap, how are they gonna beat the fuhrer without a magical bonepile weakness? They may as well call him Darth Wrath now!

And where did Selim run off to?

Remember Selim was left behind when Al, Marcoh, etc escaped in the car from the battle. He's quite a distance outside the city and not all Homunculus have super speed to get anywhere instantly!
Bag of Magic Food
So there's absolutely nobody who could have given him a ride? But then, this just makes me wonder if he's going to burrow directly to the underground lair with his slicer tentacle things.
deet-tastic
And thus Brotherhood proves to me again why it is I love Wrath. My HECK, that was an amazing episode. The entire tank scene was screaming bad A.
EveningAlchemist
Ooooh! Loved the music playing at the very beginning. Dark and solemn... I remember it from when Ed was inside Gluttony's stomach. Father was scary and warped enough in the manga... animated, he is the stuff of my nightmares! O_o

The tank in the tunnel thing was actually pretty cool! Maria and Kain's conversation was nice too, even if it wasn't in the manga exactly. I will appreciate it just as long as manga scenes aren't cut in the future with time running out... AHHH!!! It's almost over!! *smacks self on head* Calm down... calm down...

Greelin's return was full of hair-in-the-wind glory! The music when he entered made him sound like a hero. Bradley was more than epic of course, and Buccaneer proved to us all that he is the manliest man around. Fuu was a wicked ninja... Heck even Falman was awesome! I think all the other guys of FMA are trying to prove that they can be amazing without Ed, Al, and Roy around!

I believe this episode gets the award for most blood. laugh.gif
deet-tastic
Yeah, it was a bloody good fun-fest. And you can TELL they still had to censor things. Like Bradley getting all those briggs guys (the 2nd group) They didn't show the people actually falling apart. They chose a camera angle on the sword.

I think one of my favorite scenes was Bradley toying with the knives. It's so simple, but so bad A.
Animeoldtimer
I thought they did the fight scene very well. I liked the scene with Bradley and the knives as well and WAY TO GO Buccaneer!

I guess we also got a basis for Fuery/Ross fanfiction too. laugh.gif
Vagrant
(On a totally unrelated note, when the hell is chapter 107 going to be fanslated? I'm stressing out trying to dodge these spoilers and resist temptation)

This episode looked and sounded pretty great. The art was of considerable quality, the combat animation was superb and even the opening in the desert where that colour made all the difference.
Really good music as well. In the desert, in Father's lair, after Falman's stand and in the radio station. Were they all new?

Weird changes in the desert scene. He wasn't half-buried in the sand and instead of his mumbling as they carry him, it cuts to him on a horse? It's somehow not as good.

Stuff with Father was super bloody. Moreso than the manga, that makes a change. (I'm not bothered about the difference there though, and I liked the addition of showing some of the people Hohenheim named.
They seemed to cut around Father's new form eating his 'shell' though. What the-?
This scene also brings back my worry that the deus ex machina was getting heavy and that the series might be going off the rails. Soon it will be Dragonball Z energy balls and all kinds of crazy. :\

What the hell was with the change of location? All of a sudden the stairs are now a ridiculous cargo elevator shaft surrounded by stairs?
It was like something out of a video game, and a tank couldn't climb it. Not to mention the glass doors, what the f?!
Wrath messing the tank up was done awesomely, but yeah, for all the style there was some stupid decisions there.
Then there's the bizarre stuff with the Briggs guys fighting there later. It feels like they've made Briggs soldiers seem less tough in this episode, as well.

Falman's big moment was cool. I kinda wish he wasn't crying in either the manga or the anime tho'. :\
Buccaneer gets his awesometime, yay.

Since they were splitting scenes at the radio station, I kinda liked the new bit with Ross and Fuery taking cover by the windows.
I totally forgot about this part though, Briggs getting the blame.

The weird shaft thing made the Fuu part pretty ridiculous. Briggs guys shooting at him and him throwing his own cloak off, instead of Wrath stabbing it. It was still a cool reveal, but the manga totally did it better.

So, yeah.[/rant]
Mr. Deathy
QUOTE (Vagrant @ May 10 2010, 05:02 AM) *
The weird shaft thing made the Fuu part pretty ridiculous. Briggs guys shooting at him and him throwing his own cloak off, instead of Wrath stabbing it. It was still a cool reveal, but the manga totally did it better.

So, yeah.[/rant]

You know I think Fuu is one of the characters that has come off worst in Brotherhood. Only in like one episode do I feel like his design has even retained the proper look of the manga character and I can't think of any time he's really seemed very "cool" in Brotherhood, even when he was supposed to here.

I seriously hope They do his scenes next week justice. It's such an awesome way to go out and one of the manga's finest moments. I can't see any anime-only people giving a .... about the character though sadly.
Broken Chouchou
Well, they nailed the desert feel perfectly. You can sense the heat and the dryness. This whole scene looks very nice.

The tank sequence, from beginning to end, was seriously intense. While the change from stairs to tunnel/elevator shaft makes no sense whatsoever - I've been pondering on that since way back - they did handle it really well, and managed to make it awesome nonetheless. I agree with Vagrant about it seeming like something out of a video game, I got Strong MGS vibes tongue.gif

Anyway, even if it was cool enough, I would have preferred had they kept it as it was in the manga. This way, it means that the Greed "reveal" scene later will be different. Also, I felt that fighting in the open space of the stairs, as opposed to the claustrophobic tunnel, contributed with a feeling of unprotectedness, both for Briggs soldiers, and for Bradley, making his feat seem more... not impressive, becaue it was very much so in this episode as well, but... yeah, something.

But more importantly, that way Falman, Buccaneer and the rest of the crowd actually saw all what he did out in there in the open, before approaching, which would make him seem all that more threatening and intimidating.

And I liked Falman using a cannon better than machine guns =/

Nitpicking aside, the scene was very well done. And the following figthing does not dissapoint. This episode made me realize what a bad cat Bradley really is. I mean, I knew it from the manga already, but seeing it animated brings him to another level of awesomeness.

Pretty great episode all in all. Animation was great, and music was used nicely. I particularily like the track playing in the desert, and the creepy "DANGER IS HERE" one when Father turns the tables and Bradley lets all hell lose. Only choice of song I find questionable is the heroic melody when Greed comes to the rescue. That didn't feel entirely right for the scene.

(Found an unusually high quality stream for this episode, and man, this is one of them that demands it XD)
Radadinator
Wait.
Were Ed AND Al completely absent from this episode?

Anything involving Bradley in the manga needs to be animated for that extra level of pure badass.

Some parts of this were pretty unbelievable, though.
Like a tank driving up stairs.
Or Buccaneer, whom I'm assuming is made of cold, hard iron.

But I like how they did Blob Father's voice. If Blob Father was talking in his regular voice, I probably wouldn't have been able to take him seriously.
penguintruth
There was some extremely awesome action in this episode. You can bet on great action whenever Greed and Wrath are involved.

I was a little iffy on some of the padding, with the other soldiers and the radio station bunch. I mean, I guess it's good to establish how these events affect others, but not when Greed and Wrath are going at it, damn it!

My review is up on my blog.
Bag of Magic Food
The thing that bugged me once I had read the corresponding manga chapter was how Bradley's scepter-shaped bomb that he drops into the tank was redesigned. Now it's not as noticeable, and looks more like... a microphone?

I forgot who pointed this out, I don't even know if it was on this board, but I remember an interesting observation that Wrath only attacks those who attack him first. As I look back on older episodes, I notice that while all his siblings carry out assassinations on the unsuspecting, the Fuhrer is honorable and only kills in self-defense--at least directly, anyway, as he does order his armies to commit genocide over staged conflicts. (Or when he has to make sure that Al's empty. But hey, top-secret meeting, you know.)
Vagrant
I think the Fuhrer's grenade is meant to be one of these.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_24_grenade
Bag of Magic Food
Ah, okay, cool. But in the manga it looked different. <plinkett>And I don't like things that are different.</plinkett>
Vagrant
Ah, so it is. I associated it with the WW2 grenades even when I read the manga.

Arakawa just probably felt it needed to look...Grenade-ier. XD
Michiyo-
Please add FMA:B English dubbed episode 56 (on CN on Adult Swim) talk-back/discussions here. smile.gif

FMA:B will air 1:00 AM - 1: 30 AM and 5:00 AM - 5:30 AM eastern time. smile.gif
Tombow
For anyone who missed this episode, it will be on again tonight, directly following episode 53, on Adult Swim later tonight. smile.gif
Tombow
For anyone who missed this episode, it will be on again tonight on Adult Swim (U.S.) smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.