Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Episode 55: The Adults' Way Of Life - Content Discussion Thread
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Anime
Chiyo
Talk-back/content discussion for English dubbed episode on Adult Swim starts on page 3. smile.gif

Please post the discussions on the content of episode 55 here.
This thread is declared as a Spoiler zone for the content of the first 55 episodes.

Please don't ask for links on where to watch this episode, raw or subbed. Discussions on 'where to watch' belong in Where/How to Watch FMA Series 2. Don't post screencaps unless highlighting something important about the content of the episode. Just like on in most area's of the board, avoid one line posts, spam of any kind or conversations between two members.

Screenshots: see mersaydee's Post.

Summary: An announcement is made to the Central Army that the Briggs troops have occupied Central HQ. One of the other generals inside tries to turn the Fuhrer's office into a new operations headquarters, but is attacked and killed by homunculi dolls. Meanwhile, Sloth attacks Olivier and Alex again, using his great speed. The other soldiers try to hold Sloth back, but he breaks free. Before he can attack again, however, Izumi arrives and slams him with alchemy. Then she throws him to Sig, who clotheslines him into a wall. The Armstrong siblings are astonished by this display of power. Alex and Sig team up and attack him, throwing him up, and Sloth lands on a spike that impales him. This time Sloth has run out of lives and crumbles away. Underground, Hohenheim confronts Father, suggesting that he created the homunculi out of a need to have a family. Father claims that he wants to become a perfect being. After a short battle, Father is surprised to discover he is unable to utilize the Philosopher's Stone in Hohenheim. Alphonse, Heinkel, Marcoh, and Yoki are in a part of Central when their car gets stuck. The Briggs troops claim victory in occupying Central, when suddenly Fuhrer King Bradley appears again - © Penguintruth, used with permission.

*WARNING*

Please follow these simple rules;

-Do not spam.
-Add spoiler tags to spoilers
-Do not go off topic
-Do not fight

Spam means one line posts that contain little content. "OMG that ep was so cool" would be an example of spam. If you enjoyed the episode please specify what you enjoyed so much, was there anything you didn't like?

Spoilers mean anything you know will happen in upcoming episodes. Not everybody reads the manga and you may reveal something they didn't know. For future episode discussion, please go to the relevant topic. If you are unsure how to use spoiler tags, please ask.

Going off topic means discussing a characters actions outside of the episode, or talking about the artwork, or upcoming episodes etc. I know this can happen easily so don't be upset if I move your posts or guide you in the right direction. Double check the forum for the right place to take your post, or if required, start a new topic.

Everybody can voice their opinion, and nobody is correct just as nobody is incorrect. Because none of you will spam (right?) people will justify why they didn't like something. You are welcome to say "well I like that part because..." but you CAN NOT say "no you are wrong because..."
shanryelric
OK. Does the airing delayed?
penguintruth
It was on a half hour later than usual.

My initial thoughts:

- Armstrong continues to be awesome.
- I love this bit where the soldiers help out with the chain, showing that the common soldier can make a difference
- Now that's an entrance! Go, Izumi!
- I lol at how overpowered Izumi is, too.
- Aww, poor Sloth. Rest in peace, you lazy bastard.
- That's a lot of excitement for the first ten minutes of the episode.
- Armstrong siblings eyecatch!
- All right, Hohenheim versus Father! FINALLY.
- Oh noes, Hoho-papa!
- Oh, snap. Hohenheim strikes back!
- Hey, Alphonse. OMG, BRADLEY WALKING BY!
- Hooray, they've won the day! They've... oh, wait.
- OH SHI-
- Heeeeeeee's back!

Great episode, and it's going to get even better.
Michiyo-
- The fight at HQ continues. Still too many zombies.
- Finally the Central soldiers can do something useful.
- And Izumi enters the fight. That throw was epic. smile.gif
- Even the Armstrongs are shocked.
- Too bad they left out earlier the first meeting of Alex and Sig.
- Another homunculus is down. Only 3 left. And Father.
- Back to Hoho vs. Father.
- And the epic fight starts. Hoho is awesome. And is that new music?
- Hi Al. We havenít seen you for a while.
- More new music.
- Donít be too happy about winning the fight. Itís not over yet.
- Nice cliffhanger with Bradley's return.
Next ep. will be an action packed one.
Kaori Ayanami
-Lost already, huh? tongue.gif
-That "thank you", I liked it. Different from the manga but good in it's own way. And longer. Wow, Scar was moved. But... no Riza's sigh? *sigh*
-This zombie thing does feel dragged on. Curious enough, it didn't seemed so in the manga...
-What an entrance, Izumi. Liked that hollow fist. ^^
-Ho ho ho, muscle power! That music was spot on.
-The shocked-Armstrongs image is exactly the same. But in color. That is, priceless. laugh.gif
-Ah, the throw. Too bad that's as awesome as Izumi is going to get in this finale (so far)...
-The end of this fight felt so rushed... I thought Sloth was tougher. Then again, on paper it didn't seem so.
-Wait. Was that last Sig-Armstrong moment in the manga? o_0 That looked sooo strange...
-Too... many... sparkles... I swear there are way more than in the manga. But now is the time, if any. XD
-Was Buccaneer blushing in the manga after saving those Central military girls??? I don't remember it!!!
-The Briggs army's victory celebration was great. Especially if you think the next thing that happens is Bradley walking toward their door. XD
-All in all, it feels slow. Which is odd, considering that the last two episodes were actually slower. Then again, can't beat Roy's epic rage.

It may seem that I'm complaining, but what really happens is that most of the positive remarks I had on mind about this episode were already written by others. ^^U
Ahhh... Wish that we had some delay on this episode and all afterwards, as some things cannot be judged yet since FMA still goes on... When it's all said and done, I'll surely have to edit some of my comments.
Vlyse
QUOTE (Kaori Ayanami @ May 2 2010, 04:36 AM) *
-Was Buccaneer blushing in the manga after saving those Central military girls??? I don't remember it!!!

No, but they didn't have one of the girls trying to climb into a window to escape and another sitting on the ground covering her ears.

It was nice to see Al and crew again already, but I thought the scene was kinda weird. Shouldn't Bradley's Ultimate Eye or regular hearing have noticed them?

Good episode, though, I didn't expect Bradley to pop up until next episode. Hopefully, they keep up this pacing.
Hagaren-Shiroi
QUOTE (Vlyse @ May 2 2010, 02:33 PM) *
It was nice to see Al and crew again already, but I thought the scene was kinda weird. Shouldn't Bradley's Ultimate Eye or regular hearing have noticed them?

Well Bradley just didn't give a f*!@ about Al ant others
black~hayate
No screenshots yet? =(
mersaydee
Not quite sure if it's my place exactly, but here goes!

Random Curiosity's Screencaps and Impressions for Episode 55
Chiyo
Hagaren-Shiroi - Welcome to the forum. Please take a look at our Newcomers thread and feel free to introduce yourself. Please also though, take note that we don't permit the use of strong language/cursing on this board. We also try to avoid one line answer with little or no content, this is classed as spam.

mersaydee - thank-you for the link, I have added it to the first post.
Vlyse
QUOTE (Hagaren-Shiroi @ May 2 2010, 09:08 AM) *

He should have. Al is a sacrifice.
Vicious74
QUOTE (Vlyse @ May 2 2010, 06:11 PM) *
QUOTE (Hagaren-Shiroi @ May 2 2010, 09:08 AM) *

He should have. Al is a sacrifice.

Yes, who was on his way to Central JUST AS PLANNED. He had no reason to intervene.
deet-tastic
My hale. If that wasn't an awesome episode, I don't know what is.

Izumi, Sig, Olivier, and Alex owned this episode.

(oh yeah, poor Sloth)

Hohenheim vs. Father was awesome. Looks like they're saving the 500,000 revelation for next time. But I did like that they kept in the "You won't defeat US so easily" line.
I loved loved loved the ending. Everything about it. That was perfect biggrin.gif

(and what's up with them spoiling Greedling's return? When I read that in the manga I had no idea it was coming and was shocked to see him)

Did anyone else find it extremely interesting that once again the English DUB tied up with the Japanese episode?
With the dub, we got the introduction of Izumi. And with 55, we got her returning and showing who's boss.
Broken Chouchou
The episodes continue to be f****** damn good.

Armstrongs were bad.
Hohenheim - Father confrontation was bad.
King Bradley's return was bad.

This episode was BAD.

(And I don't mean that in a bad way.)

Everything was as good as it could have been. And probably better still.

I cannot wait for next week. Until then I shall weep a little over the inconsistency of this show.
Vlyse
Yes, who was on his way to Central JUST AS PLANNED. He had no reason to intervene.

Neither did Pride and Gluttony a few episodes back? Uhh, never mind. mellow.gif

Did anyone else find it extremely interesting that once again the English DUB tied up with the Japanese episode?

Yes, and I think next week will too with Greed.
Bag of Magic Food
They make sure everything comes back exactly 43 episodes later?
Mr. Deathy
It's obviously sheer coincidence, but it's a cool one none the less.
Kaori Ayanami
Now that I got to see Eclipse's version (wow, talk about fastness o_0), I'm happy it doesn't have a "MY Lieutenant" thing. But still, to say that Scar "forgived" Roy... I got to check that out.
deet-tastic
"my lieutenant?"
I don't remember that line
O__o

Yeah I'm shocked how fast this episode was subbed.
zonkiethegreat
I honestly threw my hands up and yelled "HALLELUJAH" to the ceiling when I found that SLOTH IS FINALLY DEAD!!!! PRAISE HIM!! UGH...Thank goodness that loooonngggg and booorrrriinnnggg fight with that exasperating homunculus is O-V-E-R.

The rest of the episode felt a bit like filler to me, but once I saw King Bradley I got excited about the NEXT episode, which will be 100 times better.
penguintruth
lolwut?

The fight against Sloth was a lot more exciting than Roy just dousing Envy with flames over and over again with no struggle. Because against Sloth it was an actual fight.
Bag of Magic Food
Yeah, but at least when Envy runs, he doesn't run into the wall.
Jealous Rogo
QUOTE (Bag of Magic Food @ May 2 2010, 10:46 PM) *
Yeah, but at least when Envy runs, he doesn't run into the wall.

Yes but in all fairness, you trying running at the speed Sloth was without running into a freaking wall. It'd be next to impossible, and DON'T ANYONE POINT OUT THE FLASH AND THUS RUIN MY ENTIRE POINT. lol

This weel's episode at first I wasn't too excited about. Don't get me wrong, I love the Armstrongs, I love the Curtis' and I love Sloth, and I of course I loved this part of the Manga when it first came out, but compared to the tour de force of acting we got last week with Envy... yeah I felt this was gonna be the weaker part. I'm glad to say that I was... totally totally right... but it was still damn entertaining.

Unlike last week which was more about character and pathos, this fight is pretty much all about Gureen Laagan style awesome and comedy, which I freaking love, but just cannot compare to what he got last week. Mostly cause what can I say about this week's characters? Okay it's fairly obvious that Armstrong's fleeing the battlefield during Ishbal has haunted him his entire life since then, and Olivier has never let him forget it. One would even be able to suggest that Olivier's distaste for her brother is more about driving him to be better than about actual disgust. See how she quickly forgets everything when he stands up to Sloth? When he defends her? When he steadfastly refuses to leave the battle?

Is it me or is there something slightly... off about a brother and sister pair that closely resemble a husband and wife pair O_o I mean it's badass to the max but it IS a little weird.

Hohenheim VS Father is what I like to call 'compare this to the first series and tell me Brotherhood is more melodramatic' now GRANTED last week didn't help this arguement but I think these two scenes from each series of Hohenheim facing the big bad from each series, kind of show the difference. In the first anime, Hohenheim's fight with Dante was.... well it was just them making grand dramatic speeches at each other as they did alchemy things in the background. Compare to this right, which is the same sort of thing, dramatic speeches while they fight, but it's visually more interesting to look at, and it's still got a sense of friggin humour.

This is what the first anime kind of forgot about half way through; it's sense of humour. The manga knows when to have jokes and when not to, and isn't always cracking jokes, but it's not always deadly serious all the time.

Sorry to get off topic but I had been waiting for this scene to appear to bring that up.

As for Bradley's arrival at the end, while I like Bradley as a cliffhanger, I so much prefer the cliffhanger we got in the Manga... that the freaking preview has spoiled. Now considering the content of next week's episode... yeah I suppose they decided it was the lesser of two evils. That and Ling is a popular character and maybe BONES wanted to attract an audience or something. I mean this is Ling/Greed VS Wrath; these two have a history and are pretty much the oplar opposites to each other;

You know their final battle is gonna rock.
Bag of Magic Food
QUOTE (Jealous Rogo @ May 3 2010, 01:07 AM) *
Yes but in all fairness, you trying running at the speed Sloth was without running into a freaking wall.

He also ran into his own chains, playing tug-of-war with the soldiers for nearly 50 seconds rather than stopping to free himself first. I don't think I could take anyone who did that as a serious opponent...
Broken Chouchou
@Jealous Rogo - Husband and wife? laugh.gif Not something I've thought about with those two.
Flamez_Freak
After a few rip roaring episodes , and flames flying around everywhere , fma brotherhood , takes a slightly sober stage in this episode . . And how marvellously well its done . . . . Each shot , done perfectly , and a few shifted scenes as well . . (not that i mind em) . . . But still . . . This episode had everythin in it . . . To bring it on par wit the last 4-5 episodes , in terms of sheer enjoyment and awesomeness . . . But i have a feeling , that the next episode is gonna be the most action packed one , of the entire series . . Huge stuff . . . I hope bones doesn't screw it up . . . Bradley is just too awesome . . . His extended character in this series is also somethin that propels this anime over the first anime for me.....
Jealous Rogo
QUOTE (Bag of Magic Food @ May 3 2010, 01:28 AM) *
QUOTE (Jealous Rogo @ May 3 2010, 01:07 AM) *
Yes but in all fairness, you trying running at the speed Sloth was without running into a freaking wall.

He also ran into his own chains, playing tug-of-war with the soldiers for nearly 50 seconds rather than stopping to free himself first. I don't think I could take anyone who did that as a serious opponent...

I can see what you mean but again Sloth is moving so fast he cannot aim, and that to me just makes him that much scarier. Imagine it, your stood opposite him, you blink an he's killed you. Sure he has lousy aim, but that's because Sloth is... Sloth, in the truest sense. He's by far the most powerful Homunculus, even Pride isn't as powerful as him but, he's friggin lazy. Take the underground transmutation circle; he could've done that in a matter of months if you really think about it, with his speed, but he didn't because Sloth is so lazy he probably just did the smallest amount possible. I think the same is true for this fight; he wasn't going 100% throughout. Yeah he was fighting pretty hard, harder than usual, but you know he was just doing the minimum needed to kill, not using his full potential. Hell the guy pretty much accepts death instantly cause it means he has to do nothing from now on. Ultimately with Sloth, for all his power, lost because he came up against people who always give a 100% (Armstrongs and the Curtis') and in the end, doesn't matter how talented you may be, you'll always lose out to the people who work the hardest in the end, if you don't work just as hard as them.

Least that's how I see it.
Vagrant
I just wanted to mention I didn't like the extra Briggs celebration at the end. It was way too...Un-Briggs. Throwing their hats in the air when they know the conflict hasn't ended yet and all that stuff.

I also think it was more dramatically effective in the manga to tease us with the build up to victory and then watch it fall, rather than the anime having a minute of 'yay' and then a 'never mind it's been taken away'. Or something.
deet-tastic
I liked the build up.
First time watchers who don't read the manga might have actually thought that the series was coming to a close within maybe the next 2 episodes. Hohenheim was beating Father, Briggs took over central by 90% , Envy and Sloth are dead. "Hip hip hooray!! oh SHI- IT'S BRADLEY!"

It really is a huge mofo shocker. I thought it was brilliant that bones built it up like that, and that it all came crashing down in a magnificent second.
Vicious74
QUOTE (penguintruth @ May 3 2010, 06:01 AM) *
lolwut?

The fight against Sloth was a lot more exciting than Roy just dousing Envy with flames over and over again with no struggle. Because against Sloth it was an actual fight.

A one sided fight is still a fight.

And it's easy to see why one would prefer Roy & Riza vs Envy over Armstrongs, Izumi & Sig vs Sloth. The former actually had a story behind it. And no, I don't care if you don't like said story.

But this week's fight was pretty great too in a different way. Less intensity and drama but made up for it with the sheer manly awesomeness. Wasn't as good as the manga version because Alex and Sig already being friends and being powered up by their reunion worked much better, but still, that's episode 13's fault and not this one.

My only other complaint would be that they got Sloth's expression wrong when he died. In the manga, he went out with a smile. In the anime, it was a bit off.
MsLinn
Great episode! Izumi and Sig made it awesome <3 I love Izumi's door, when she just threw out a couple of zombies, like garbage laugh.gif
The most awesomeness, IMO, was when the major and Sig threw Sloth up so he smashed the ceiling!! Just ohmy.gif Don't know why I thought that was so awesome, it just hit me how much I would not be able to do that...Just, straight up...
Could somebody please link the page where Hawkeye thanks Scar in the manga? I searched like a maniac, but I couldn't find it...Also, the "MY lieutenant"-thing
QUOTE (Kaori Ayanami @ May 3 2010, 04:30 AM) *
I'm happy it doesn't have a "MY Lieutenant" thing. But still, to say that Scar "forgived" Roy... I got to check that out.

I don't remember anything like that...

...pec flex...or gainaxing...lol

Also, the eyecatcher?! Karley! Did he even have a name in the manga!?

Hoho is always so damn awesome ;_; And at the same time slightly cookoolander, but faking, and he's...awesome biggrin.gif

Maybe Buccaneer's blush was to build up sympathy before you-know-what , like that's needed *pff* rolleyes.gif

I remember close to zero from these manga-chapters, so it's so exiting!!
Vlyse
Ed & Co scene was moved forward from Chapter 98.

http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/98/40/ to 42
Broken Chouchou
QUOTE (MsLinn @ May 6 2010, 11:56 PM) *

I was wondering about that too. Who the hell is he and what did he do to deserve an eyecatch? XD
Animeoldtimer
QUOTE (Broken Chouchou @ May 7 2010, 10:53 AM) *
QUOTE (MsLinn @ May 6 2010, 11:56 PM) *

I was wondering about that too. Who the hell is he and what did he do to deserve an eyecatch? XD

Just so Kitchan can make a good screen cap for it. laugh.gif

Billea_the_Turtle
-Lost already Ed?
-And Armstrong continues to be awesome
-See Central soldiers? If you actually try, you can do something helpful!
-Why has Armstrong been opening his mouth to talk lately? Isn't it usually closed?
-Nice entrance Izumi
-I LOL'd at how overpowered Izumi is
-LOL at Alex and Olivier's shocked faces. Totally priceless
-Muscle bonding. Pffft laugh.gif
-Goodbye Sloth, you lazy bastard
-Great Armstrong siblings eyecatch. And who the hell is Karley?
-Yay! Hohenheim vs. Father
-Briggs celebrating? Seems so un-Briggs like
-OH SHI- BRADLEY!
-And Bones needs to learn how to put spoiler tags into their previews. Previews, not spoilers

Overall great episode. And it looks like the next one will be action-packed all right.

EDIT:
@Animeoldtimer: True that! That guy probably only received an eycatch just so Kit-Chan could make a funny cap out of it.
Bag of Magic Food
QUOTE (theanimalmafia @ May 7 2010, 09:52 PM) *
See Central soldiers? If you actually try, you can do something helpful!

They must have gotten sick of "blue beret" being the new "red shirt"!
penguintruth
Karley: Doing more than Ed, Al, or Roy combined in ep 55, and yet somehow less than General Santa.

An excellent episode, packed with awesome. My review's up.
Michiyo-
Please add FMA:B English dubbed episode 55 (on CN on Adult Swim) talk-back/discussions here. smile.gif

FMA:B will air 1:00 AM - 1: 30 AM and 5:00 AM - 5:30 AM eastern time. smile.gif
Tombow
For anyone who missed this episode, it will be on again tonight, directly followed by episode 54, on Adult Swim later tonight. smile.gif
Tombow
For anyone who missed this episode, it will be on again tonight on Adult Swim (U.S.) smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.