Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Episode 51: Army Of Immortals - Content Discussion Thread
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Anime
Pages: 1, 2
Chiyo
Talk-back/content discussion for English dubbed episode on Adult Swim starts on page 4. smile.gif

Please post the discussions on the content of episode 51 here.
This thread is declared as a Spoiler zone for the content of the first 51 episodes.

Please don't ask for links on where to watch this episode, raw or subbed. Discussions on 'where to watch' belong in Where/How to Watch FMA Series 2. Don't post screencaps unless highlighting something important about the content of the episode. Just like on in most area's of the board, avoid one line posts or spam of any kind.

Screenshots: see Omni's Post.

Full Screenshots: over at livejournal, provided by Moogledaime usually a couple days after episode has aired.

Summary: The officer who activates the homunculi dolls is eaten by them, and they turn o the scientist that was with him next. Edward, Scar, and the chimera arrive at the doorway near where Barry died. Ed tries to open it, to no avail. Suddenly it opens and the homunculi dolls pour in. Olivier takes a general hostage, but he orders his subordinates to shut the gates so that Mustang's and the Briggs forces can't get in. Sloth attacks, but Olivier moves out of the way and the general is crushed instead. Edward's group tries to fight off the dolls, but they don't have any luck. Edward suddenly realizes what they are. He shuts the exit to the room so they can prevent them from escaping. Back at the mound, Heinkel realizes that Pride has been sending out morse code signal, but it's too late. Kimbley attacks, breaking the mound, which releases Pride. Underground, Mei runs from the dolls, balancing the jar with Envy on her head, but Envy is swallowed by one of the dolls and takes control of it. Devouring the other dolls, Envy returns to his original form. Olivier tries to fight Sloth, but isn't damaging him. When she is about to be crushed, her brother Alex arrives to assist her. Alphonse tries to help Heinkel and escape from Pride and Kimbley, who shows him the Philosopher's Stone he saved from the mine. Alphonse uses it to challenge Kimbley and Pride, to Kimbley's amusement.. - © Penguintruth, used with permission.

Extra: Do not discuss the new Op/Ed here. Please keep discussion to the relevant thread, i.e Fma: Brotherhood O S T-1, O S T-2, O P & E D Theme Musics Discussions for the music and the Op Theme Video Discussion and Ed theme video discussion for visuals and meaning.
shanryelric
ok, first of all, I can't concentrate to the episode due to my shocked at the OP. the OP is too beautiful T^T.
great episode, olivia seems so cool and the zombies are.. disgusting =='' may back with envy (envy looks so handsommeee)
and really nice ED, with awesome hohenheim in the first scene. awesome. i love this sunday
penguintruth
My initial thoughts:

- Full-armored Greed in the new OP! Awesome!
- This guy's thinking, "NOTHING CAN GO WRONG!" What a doofus.
- It's an army of skinny, white, monsters! It's like a Kate Moss army!
- Aw, Barry. D:
- Olivier <3
- I like how this general actually has the guts to order the lock down of the gates.
- And now he's squished by Sloth.
- Yawn, fighting the stupid white zombie things.
- And more of them pour in. And I continue to not care.
- ICEUUUCREAMUU TRUCK
- Kimbley sure knows how to make an entrance.
- Oh, that wacky pair of Mei and Envy! What will they do n---
- Oh, right, Envy's extremely stupid, contrived return to his previous self. It's a bit different, though.
- Olivier, why are you shooting Sloth, KNOWING it's not going to work?
- Sibling back-up! THE ARMSTRONG SIBLINGS TEAM-UP!
- Pretty badass, there, Alphonse.
- The new ED is... eh, all right.

Fairly good episode.
Michiyo-
- Beautiful opening, will write more in the other thread.
- Those zombies are still creepy.
- Olivier is still cool.
- Hi Sloth. You missed Olivier.
- Wow, there are so many zombies.
- Buccaneer looks scary.
- That extra scene with Roy-tachi wasn’t in the manga. But I liked it.
- And Kimblee arrived. Wow, Selim changed back to his child voice.
- What’s with the Fullmetal Alchemist guy? He sounded like the zombies.
- The other eyecatch was a cool Al. That’s better.
- Envy’s voice is still cute. What, the zombie ate him? That didn’t happen in the manga. And now he is back.
- More Olivier fight. And Alex is here to save his sister.
- Finally Al got a chance to be very cool. And they used nice, new music when he decided to use the Philosopher’s Stone.
- I like the new ending too.

Happy Easter, everyone!
StormGoddess
Am I the only one who LOL'ed when that General guy got bitten on his neck? laugh.gif

Maybe those zombies aren't that creepy, but being cornered by like a hundred sure is scary.

I love May for being so cool in her fight today.

I also love the first eyecatch. laugh.gif
Alzea
- New OP, woohooo! ;D I liked it, very angsty thou, well, it's going to be over soon, we have to face it...
- Zombies~!
-Keyhole lagging
-Badass Olivier is badass, she's made of awesomeness
- Lolwut, the Fullmetal Alchemist voice, he should really shut up, but first eyecatch was for the lol, at least for me, really good one xD
- Argh, Kimblee, I hate you but you're so awesome at times
- Here we go with Envy, nah, so he's back it means THIS one particular thing is going to happen in the anime soon (I'm royai fangirl so guess what I'm talking about)
- More Olivier and Armstrong siblings united, the epicness has begun
- New ED is well, urm, the Winry one was worse, it's not bad, but it wasn't oh-so-awesome
Omni
Episode 51 Screencaps and Impressions
(For those of you who might be wondering, I may have retired, but Divine is continuing blogging FMA for the time being)
Jealous Rogo
Cheers for the pics Omni

No idea how we'd survive without em haha

On the site it shows a brief clip of the end of the episode and wow... they should've waited a week to change endings.

I mean yeah that scene is still nice btu imagine how much better that scene with Al at the end wouldn't been if Ending 4 had kicked in at that moment.

I'll post afull opinion when it gets subbed.

But I am so looking forward to next week; they better not screw up my favourite line in the series of all time.
fullmoon
Thank you so much Omni! I'm so relieved that FMA will still be blogged. =D I love the new layout by the way!

(I'm being really lazy here as i just copied what i wrote down in another forum. >.<)

Oh god. What an amazing episode!! I'm still in awe! The animation was pure eye candy! 8D

Firstly, I love the new OP and ED! I'm not usually a fan of slow openings and endings but not this time. The more i watch it, the more i like it. Such amazing animation and songs. It's so beautiful...The opening has such sadness but Ed smiling at the end makes it feel bittersweet as a whole. The ending is uplifting and hopeful with Ed's determined stare and Al's smile.
It's really suiting...It made me tear up and reflect back on the series. That FMA is really going to end. I absolutley love how at the beginning of the opening it shows Ed and Al then pans across to show the rest of the cast. The shot of Greed was incredible along with the shot of Mustang. I can't believe FMA will be over in a few months...=(

Anyway, onto the episode! 8D

-Those zombies give me chills. Seeing them eat that general guy was disturbing.
-Oh Ed...opening the door. Lol! XD
-The smooth criminal is back! Hello Kimblee. My god..he makes an entrance
-Poor Heinkel. T___T
-Mei's fight with those Zombies was effin' awesome.
-Envy's revival was so sickening. I like it! 8D Though i don't remember him being eaten by those zombies in the manga when he was midget. 0.0
-Olivia never ceases to amaze me. Gah...=w=
-Alex's entrance made me laugh! <33
-Al...oh god...Al! Gah...Epic personified in a suit of armour. Love him!! This was my favorite scene in the entire episode. Al helping Heinkel without his legs was such an intense and moving moment. The music, the voice acting and the animation were all perfect. Al was so gar stepping out of the smoke looking so determined with the "Ray of light" playing. It was beautiful!!

The best thing is we haven't seen nothing yet!! I'm really looking forward to the final chapters being animated. Waiting weekly is just so hard now. XD

Oh! I forgot to add, the eyecatch guy sounded like a little girl for the first eyecatch. No...just no. XD That's wrong. Your a guy, you don't laugh like a girl....*shudders* Glad to get that out of my system. XD

O.O
allykatty1
The EdWin fan in me just about died for joy at the last shots of the OP! biggrin.gif

I also just now LOLed at the screencap of first eyecatch. "See no evil, speak no evil, hear no evil"!!! XD It seems that Bones can't quite take the crazy zombies 100% seriously either. happy.gif

I can't believe we're getting so close to the end... I'm not one to cry over just about anything (I can count the times I have in the last decade on one hand, I think), but this series has meant so much to me, I really think I might shed more than one tear over the next couple months, between the manga and Brotherhood... *sigh*
fullmoon
QUOTE (allykatty1 @ Apr 4 2010, 10:31 PM) *
The EdWin fan in me just about died for joy at the last shots of the OP! biggrin.gif

I also just now LOLed at the screencap of first eyecatch. "See no evil, speak no evil, hear no evil"!!! XD It seems that Bones can't quite take the crazy zombies 100% seriously either. happy.gif

I can't believe we're getting so close to the end... I'm not one to cry over just about anything (I can count the times I have in the last decade on one hand, I think), but this series has meant so much to me, I really think I might shed more than one tear over the next couple months, between the manga and Brotherhood... *sigh*

My thoughts exactly. =D Anything Edwin = squee!! XD Yes. lol.

Oh my gosh! I didn't notice that! Nice catch! I was too focused on that guy's voice. XD Zombies doing the monkey is very funny. Oh Bones. XD

Yes...i feel the same way. It's the only anime that i truly care about and hold close to me....it's made quite a big impression and has become a part of my life. So to think about ending is...hard. I think i will feel empty for a while when it ends and will truly bawl when the last chapter of the manga and last episode of FMA:B come out.
_Jelly
I havent watched the ep yet but I really like this

Thought it was pretty cool, even though people are laughing at it now tongue.gif Actually... I'm so turning those guys into my signature biggrin.gif
fullmoon
QUOTE (JELEE @ Apr 4 2010, 09:46 PM) *
I havent watched the ep yet but I really like this

Thought it was pretty cool, even though people are laughing at it now tongue.gif Actually... I'm so turning those guys into my signature biggrin.gif

Yes! That's a great idea!!

Wow!! You did a great job! It's so beautiful! <33 Way to go JELEE. They are practically glowing! 8D Beautiful zombies...Oops...well um...they do look really great there. XD

-------

Just a random thought...Selim has gone from super mega evil/creepy to adorable again. XD It's those eyes.....He lost his awesome sexy purple eyes.
Broken Chouchou
Wow. Having only watched the raw, I almost wanna give this episode 5/5. I was a little blown away. It was really great. Close to perfection.
Vlyse
Alphonse and the transition was amazing. I was surprised to hear the music for like 20 seconds before the ED kicked in.

May vs Zombies was actually pretty nice. Did anyone else think of Gluttony from CoS when Envy was eating the zombies?
Kaori Ayanami
I may be wrong, but the "monkey thing" is serious stuff in Asia, isn't it?
But even for a Japanese, it would be ruined by that girly "Fullmetal Alchemist" voice.

QUOTE ("Vlyse")
Did anyone else think of Gluttony from CoS when Envy was eating the zombies?

Indeed. (While watching that, I thought it's very strange he didn't just eat May too). But I found something stranger: when Olivier was walking with that higher-up, the music and pace of the steps made it seem like a dance of sorts. o_0

Envy's "method" of revival was totally un-canon.

Al & Heinkel's flight and dialogue seemed way too slow compared to the manga... Can somebody tell me WHY couldn't Kimbley and Pride find them (or randomly attack them, at least)? But epic, nevertheless.

Can't wait to see Olivier worried about her brother.
deet-tastic
When Envy was flying up in the air in his jar and was caught by one of the soldiers. I thought.. wait now.. that's not how the manga did it. And then the soldier ate Envy. I turned to my brother and said, "Dude, bones changed it, and they're making it epic." Sure enough, it was awesome. Mei kicking the crap out of the soldiers was highly amusing.

I think everything about this episode was pure win.
Irena
Am I the only one who thought that the "Fullmetal alchemist" guy sounded kinda like Vic Mignogna for that first eyecatch? It was kinda creepy. .____.

This was a good episode; Mei and the zombies looked really cool, and I love Envy's crazy laugh.
Bag of Magic Food
He's said it in that cutesy voice before, but I don't remember him doing a cutesy laugh first! And, does that mean the announcer thinks the mannequin soldiers are cute? Now I'm weirded out too...
deet-tastic
He finds them cute because his inflatable doll companion probably looks like the immortal soldiers.

The announcer MUST be single and lonely. All the fandom wants him dead. I can't imagine he has friends.
Chiyo
Okay everyone, we're heading off topic, much as we loath FMA man we don't need another discussion/rant about him clogging up the episode discussion. Thank-you.
Kasumisty
I liked it very much.

-I love the new OP and the song from the ED as I said in another threads, they really put me in "this is the end" mood,
-Zombie soldiers are reaally freaky. I cringed when they were eating parts of that general and were all smudged in blood,
-Loled at Ed trying to open that doors, ("Oh, they op....ened?")
-The art seemed very unstable, though. It was breathtaking at some moments and veery bad at the others,
-I seriously adore music in this episode,
-Wow, the pancake-general. Shudder, shudder,
-Very well animated Mei vs Zombies fight. Envy really seemed to enjoy it. And he reminded me of first series Gluttony at some point, as well,
-Yoki finally doing something positive \o/,
-Olivier <3, (and no further comment needed),
-"SISTA~ ARE YOU AWRIGHT" rulez,
-Alphonse was epic in this one. About time.
-And Heinkel said one of my favorite lines there,
-And when I'm writing this post, my VLC Player crashes from time to time...

It was very enjoyable episode. I'm glad they're trying to make them all good when the end is coming nigh.

My english seems to go downhill lately. I think I'm getting lazy
Ropespinner
@Kasumisty:
I agree about the unstable animation quality. The characters' faces especially really bothered me in some parts of the episode.

The part with Mei pwning about ten zombies in about five seconds looked quite sweet.

I was a bit annoyed by the pacing of the scenes where Kimbley arrived, blew a hole into the dome, Al tried to get Heinkel to safety, et cetera. It seemed like at some point, pretty much everyone was just standing there doing nothing - Al when Pride walked out of the dome, Pride and Kimbley after Al created that dust cloud... Things should have happened a bit more quickly, I think. Additionally, Al and Heinkel should have been talking less loudly when they were hiding in the dust cloud. Shouting kinda debunks the idea of hiding out of sight.

(Edit - typo)
EveningAlchemist
There was a lot of shudder worthy violence in this one, huh? Yet at the same time it makes you giggle... like the white zombies, and the "pancake general". mellow.gif

Totally loved it when Buccaneer jumped on to the car and looked down on the Central soldiers! "A bear with a mohawk!" I'm sorry, but the Brigg's gang beats Mustang's when it comes to bad-assery. And Alex Louis Armstrong wants to join the bad-arse club.

Awesome Al eyecatch was awesome! And then awesome Alphonse was awesome! *fan-girl swoon* I love, love, love the tune that was playing when Heinkel was showing him the philospher's stone!

Envy has to be the grossest homunculus out there. Yep, he was like CoS gluttony, except I think Envy is a bit more gruesome... Bones has really outdone themselves!

All these episodes and the ones to come feel like one big, epic, feature-length film! I'm loving every minute of it! girl_in_love.gif
A Pierrot's Aria
I liked this episode!

The zombie-doll things were just damn freaky; especially after they went for the soldier's throat then whole body, then they turned round freakin' Resident Evil zombie style. xD

Olivier was also very awesome! It made me jump when her hostage got squished. oO xD;;

I like how psychotic Envy is. xD

Fawfulhasfury
Envy's method of revival is canon in the manga. It's from Chapter 91, pages 16 - 21. And technically, since those zombies are also homunculus, this makes Envy a cannibal like Pride.

I liked the episode, but I didn't like that one scene where everyone was running slow-mo at the zombies. It didn't look right. Other than that, great episode.
Ant
On first viewing, this episode has just blown me away. Epic. Just epic.

Pretty much every scene had something epic/amazing happen...was really really impressed by the Mei part though. Amazing little mini-fight!

I don't really see how they can fit everything else into 3 episodes though. Would want one more ep, in my mind's eye, in order to ensure everything isn't rushed.
Broken Chouchou
Now I really did like 49, but this is by far one of the best episodes in quite a while. It just had some very good direction. It adapted the happenings of the manga very nicely, rearranging placement of some scenes to make it better. And it had a lot of GREAT music, several tracks of which have not previosuly been heard. The sound direction was also suberb; the tracks started just at the right time, and overlapped transitions between scenes very nicely. Even the old tracks were very nice hearing again, it's been awhile since you last heard them (even "that" track was good hearing). Animation looked a bit weird at times but was for the most part really good.

(As expected, the subtitles lowered the impression a bit, there were some half-lame lines here and there that didn't quite seem to fit the mood that I'd built up from the first view. But never mind. It was my own fault for watching the raw first.)

My favourite scenes:

- I sooo love the zombies. I don't care if they're a "plot staller" for Ed and co, they're awesome. At least here in the anime, when "come alive". I love the creepy and disturbing scene in the laboratory, where they devour that officer, and later on the terrified scientist. It DID feel very Resident Evily biggrin.gif The blood, the screams, the freakeyness <33 The dramatic music didn't exactly make it worse, either. Could always have been gorier though >:D

- I adore the Oliver scenes in tnis episode. The music piece that plays when she first makes entrance is glorious. Starts out very intense and sorta melodramatic, then the strings turn a little creepy. Love it.

Sloth makes an appearance and reduces Olivier's gutsy hostage to a blood stain on the floor. And I was shocked, is that some of his squashed organs sticking up amongst the rubble? Or was that supposed to be a hand?

The subsequent fight against Sloth is nice, albeit some weird animation on Olivier's part at times. I like the way Alex comes to the rescue. Seriously, the music in this episode is fantastic.

- Ed and friends fighting off hordes of hungry dolls is pretty good. Lemme say first that the initial shot of Ed staring intently at the doors must be the sexiest one of him so far in the series. Yes, I just said that. Ed, sexy. Ahem. Moving on. The following scenes were really intense. Ed sealing themselves up in the hall together with the hundreds of zombies, along with the DOOM music playing (which is really effective here, and it hasn't been used in a while I think), gave me goosebumps. It really felt as he was sealing their own fates down there. Yikes. I was a little suprised by the evidently green blood of the zombies though, looked sorta weird.

- Envy. This part was so much more awesome than it was in the manga. Mei pwning the zombies was funny and cool at the same time, among the creepiness of it all. Envy getting eaten by a zombie was a welcome addition by BONES. I just imagined how scary it'd be for Mei, with her only companion down there seemingly getting killed, leaving her all alone with those things. But then. Epic, crazy shít happens (and Mei would have been screwed unless it had). I love that they use "Envy revealed" (or a remixed version of it) while this goes down. And I must say, Envy's VA really performed well here, and the animation was great. I love his deranged laughter and the faces he make. (Only complaint would be that Envy's true form is way too clean, it's not slimy and nasty enough. But that's just the design Brotherhood has gone with, and not in any way related to this particular scene.)

- And finally, we have Alphonse and his epic moment of epicness. It was great. Al had some really cool shots of him where the animation was just excellent, and Heinkel didn't look too bad in the close-ups either. I love the music that's playing here, the intrumental version of the "Ishbal-Marcoh-Philospher Stone" track. And the ending kicking in was just pure win, when Al steps out of the cloud. I am SO glad that they changed OP ad ED for this, Shunkan Sentimental would have been nowhere near as good as this.

(Wow, this was a pretty huge post tongue.gif)
Mr. Deathy
Very good episode. Great direction all around, lots of new music, some great animation, good re-arrangement of manga scenes to better fit animated form.

Random comment on the episode: I'm thinking that music track that plays during Envy's regeneration might be composed for/used in the Mustang vs Envy fight. I can totally picture that playing as Mustang is walking down corridors torching the Envy whenever he sees him.

I know it is another version of "Envy revealed" from the 2nd OST though so I guess it probably was arranged for this ep.
sidekick.kep37
@Ant: "Everything else into 3 episodes?" Don't you mean, like, everything else in 12 episodes?

MY THOUGHTS
-The OP is amazing. Like someone else said, I'm not much for slow OPs, mostly because maybe the animators don't do it right, but in this case, it was amazing. This has got to be one of my favorite OPs for sure.
-I think that general guy was stupid. If you're gonna have a guy do your dirty work, at least listen to him.
-The zombies piling on him made me lol. I actually thought it would be more... gory- but hey, what can you expect. It is FMA after all.
-Now when the zombie bit his foot, I lol'd like crazy.
-I felt bad for the poor scientist guy. He could've been like Marcoh- dragged against his will- for all we know.
-Ed's face looked weird... granted it was while opening the door and comedy and whatever... but it just looked funny.
-High-five Olivier! But that guy had some serious balls, saying what he did. But I think it went too slow. Olivier could've sliced his tongue off and the rate he was talking.
- Oh hai, Sloth. "So annoying" Yes, Sloth, I know you're annoying.
-Zombie-fight was cool... but most of them were just standing around doing nothing. It could've been a billion times more chaotic, but there has to be some kind of peace for Ed to think and use deductive reasoning, right?
- I wish I was a random civilian living in Amestris right now. Sounds like fun.
- Slow-mo zombie rush looked retarded.
- "A BEAR WITH A MOHAWK!!!!" biggrin.gif
- I thought Ross was Mustang for a sec. Roy does look a bit baby-faced though. But I appreciate the effort, BONES.
- Selim is such a smart little boy bad-arse homunculus. Wait, he turned into a kid again. Nice vocals.
- The announcer guy made me WTFLOL.
- I am not a Mei fan, but this part was awesome. Lolz, at Envy in the jar. But Mei totally delivered seriously when she quick-sparred those zombies. That was awesome. Leftover Easter chocolates to the animators!
- That zombie ate Envy and glass- which actually grossed me out the most.
-Wait... Envy just went CoS Gluttony on those other zombies- I agree. But it was so awesome. Whoever did this scene is amazing. Nice music to go with it too. Put the terror together... Oh... more terror. Because Envy evil-laughed.
- Al just sits there as his head is thrown at him. How productive.
- Go Olivier! ... Wait, why are you shooting him?
- I lol'd at Alex's entrance. It was amazing. And whoever subbed it did hilarious... unless the VAs were able to voice-act it that way. "SISTA~! ARE YOU AWRITE?!" indeed. Aahahaha.
- Kimblee and Pride... what are you waiting for? Get him! It's like everyone's being lazy this ep except for a few good characters.
-Heinkel, you're such a good chimera.
-Pride's WTF face followed by the quick transition to his scowl also made me lol.
-Loved the "superb" line delivered by Kimblee.
-ED... not great, but not awesome. I'm just an anti-still person altogether...

Alright ep. Great in some places... lacking in others. Can't wait for the next one.
hawkflame
GREAT episode. Loved the immortal army, loved Armstrong/Sloth, loved the Heinkel/Al moment at the end... And yeah, the "Fullmetal Alchemst" guy in the eyecatch DID sound like Vic Mignogna.

My only complaint is the artwork, once again - especially Olivier and Edward. Their faces looked absolutely hideous in some shots.
mazam
The episode was really good. The weirdest shot was one of Olivier where her hairline was wrong, she had one huge forehead.

A part of me wishes some of the immortal army dolls did make it above ground to find any loved ones they might have remembered. That would have been so chaotic. A bunch of the dolls standing around doing nothing was a bit annoying at first, but then I thought maybe they were followers. You know, they weren't exactly sure what to do so when the few that were more dominant acted out they observed and then copied them.
Bag of Magic Food
QUOTE (sidekick.kep37 @ Apr 5 2010, 06:16 PM) *
I felt bad for the poor scientist guy. He could've been like Marcoh- dragged against his will- for all we know.

I wondered why he didn't just bolt for the door while that officer was getting eaten. I guess everybody in this episode preferred to stand around!

Zombie-fight was cool... but most of them were just standing around doing nothing.

"Guys, maybe we should do something now, before our threat level falls below the Putty Patrol's!"

Slow-mo zombie rush looked retarded.

I liked the way the shot was framed, but it was ruined by the characters not being drawn well enough. Come on animators, they're not THAT far away! Add some detail!

I am not a Mei fan, but this part was awesome. Lolz, at Envy in the jar.

I had to laugh at May's ability to run with the jar balanced on her head, even though I had already seen it in the preview.
Jealous Rogo
While I notice a lot fo people are picking on the drawings in this episode (series in general) and how some characters looked weird, etc, etc, I would like to point out how FANTASTIC the animation was in this episode. Normally we get a couple of great animated moments every few episode, in this episode we had a slew of great animation. Off the top of my head;

Ed fighting the Dolls
The entire scene with Envy and May from start to finish
Sloth VS Armstrong

And I know there were more, I was really impressed.

There was however, a notable amount of scenes where Characters were logically, just standing around while stuff happened. My favourite being 'stop him Alphonse!' *Al just sits there*

Good episode, setting up some of the more awesome battles.

Like I said earlier, I kinda wished we had the previous ending kick in when Al emerges, but upon seeing the whole episode, this worked pretty well as well. The scene with Heikel explaining about the Philsopher's Stone's desire to fight back was fantastic. It's another of my favourite momnets in the series (it's pretty much the culmination of Al's 'I'm human' delimma) and they handled it brilliantly.

PLEASE, PLEASE DON'T LET THEM SCREW UP KIMBLEE'S LINE NEXT WEEK.

Though that's more on the subbers lol.
Broken Chouchou
@Jealous Rogo - I agree, I really like the animation in this episode. There were some beauty spots here and there, but overall, it was pretty damn fantastic. And it's never dull or bland, at least, as it's been in other episodes/scenes.

I disagree about the previous ending though tongue.gif Like this one much better. This looks like it'll be Brotherhood's "Through the Door" of the original FMA for me, which had a great, really emotional instrumental intro.

Oh, something hit me yesterday, haha. The next episode will be a manga spoiler for me XD There's a couple of chapters around 90-ish that I haven't read, because I didn't read monthly up until around chapter 100, preferring to read it in hand (then it all got far too exciting not to follow monthly). And now the anime's caught up with Viz's releases XD Tis quite funny, actually. I'm not entirely sure what's going down in the next episode. It's a unique opportunity for me to feel like the anime-only people normally do happy.gif
Ropespinner
QUOTE (Jealous Rogo @ Apr 6 2010, 01:45 PM) *
There was however, a notable amount of scenes where Characters were logically, just standing around while stuff happened. My favourite being 'stop him Alphonse!' *Al just sits there*

This very much. I quess it was because they're slowing the pacing now, putting less manga material into a single episode, and that led to some inappropriate non-action scenes here and there. It doesn't help that I already thought that Heinkel and Al not figuring out that Pride was sending a message was an odd stupidity moment in the manga. The pacing-induced 'standing around doing nothing' syndrome just managed to make it look more stupid.

I had also noticed Ed, Scar and the chimerae, uhh, sloping to attack the zombies in slow motion, which someone mentioned. It didn't look very good.

On the other hand, there were some instances of noticeably good art/animation. In the scene were Heinkel was talking to Al in the dust cloud, they really managed to make Al look sad. Arakawa has usually been good at making that helmet expressive, but the Brotherhood team really shone there.

And I want a GIF animation of the Mei vs. zombies scene.
Ant
QUOTE (sidekick.kep37 @ Apr 5 2010, 07:16 PM) *
@Ant: "Everything else into 3 episodes?" Don't you mean, like, everything else in 12 episodes?

Wow, 12 more? I was told it was only going through 54 episodes. That's good to know, and probably the best news I've heard all week.
Vagrant
It's weird how they've added bits in, but still cut stuff from the manga. As well as the event reshuffling.
I reckon they're trying to fill it out to let the manga get ahead.

I did really like the animation for Mei fighting the dolls, as JRogo mentioned.
But how dare she be that awesome when she's done something so stupid!
Mr. Deathy
QUOTE (Ant @ Apr 6 2010, 02:33 PM) *
QUOTE (sidekick.kep37 @ Apr 5 2010, 07:16 PM) *

Wow, 12 more? I was told it was only going through 54 episodes. That's good to know, and probably the best news I've heard all week.

Did you seriously think they'd make a new OP and only use it for 4 episodes?
Chiyo
It has been driving my loopy trying to remember what the dolls reminded me of, and watching the subbed ep has finally reminded me, The Pale Man from Pan's Labyrinth.

Rather good episode, still smirking broadly at the new op. Animation was better in this one too, it has been here and there in these latest episodes.
MsLinn
But shouldn't that scientist know bullets wont kill them?
Ok, I was JUST about to say that the "Fullmetal Alchemist!"-guy doesn't bother me anymore, but ORRRGH!
Finally an Al-eyecatcher!
May-chan...your skills are blinding.
Clarification needed. Did Envy eat the souls as an energy-source?
I felt slighly sad for (and scared of) Envy when ...it/he...laughed and patted his face.
Then there was AWESOME animation of his face when he thanked May.

I usually don't count action or fighting (or freaky zombies) as Bringers of Awesomeness, so this episode was so so for me.
Made me a happy Al!fangirl, though!

EDIT: I read the corresponding chapters now and I see that they've censored a little (for example when Scar attacks a doll and in the manga its head comes off almost entirely), but made some stuff make more sense. I like that they didn't put Al and Heinkel's conversation afterwards. It didn't lessen the awsomeness of Al's entrance, I think it made it more...emotional.
In the maga, Ed just states as-a-matter-of-factly that the zombies are souls bonded to dolls. How did he know?
I miss the Arakawa-ish thrown in joke when Scar agrees with Ed.
I don't think I like that they cut up Armstrongs' fight with Sloth, but I don't know...
RoytheFlameAlchemist
Hey, some question about the use of the philosopher's stone.
From what i understand it just let the user avoid equivalent exchange by using the souls in the stone, isnt it? Is there anything else to it? I think i recall from the manga that Al didnt need to clap his hands to perform alchemy while having the ps. Is that another feature?
Also , is it a coincidence that he build his his legs again after getting the ps, couldnt he do it before just from elements in the ground with normal alchemy?
Kaori Ayanami
QUOTE (RoytheFlameAlchemist @ Apr 8 2010, 08:27 PM) *
From what i understand it just let the user avoid equivalent exchange by using the souls in the stone, isnt it? [..]
Also , is it a coincidence that he build his his legs again after getting the ps, couldnt he do it before just from elements in the ground with normal alchemy?

There's no way (so far) to avoid equivalent exchange in FMA manga and Brotherhood. A PS is is like an alchemy battery with a huge amount of energy, ready to be used.
Of course Al could have rebuilt his legs without the PS. But not as quickly. Besides, he was too busy saving Heinkel at that time.
hawkflame
QUOTE (Kaori Ayanami @ Apr 9 2010, 12:15 AM) *
QUOTE (RoytheFlameAlchemist @ Apr 8 2010, 08:27 PM) *
From what i understand it just let the user avoid equivalent exchange by using the souls in the stone, isnt it? [..]

There's no way (so far) to avoid equivalent exchange in FMA manga and Brotherhood. A PS is is like an alchemy battery with a huge amount of energy, ready to be used.
Of course Al could have rebuilt his legs without the PS. But not as quickly. Besides, he was too busy saving Heinkel at that time.

Not quite. The PS does allow equivalent exchange, in a sense, to be broken- well not really, but through the use of human souls, the price has already been paid.

Al couldn't have just remade his legs by further thinning out the rest of his armor, because then he risks the rest of his armor being structurally unsound. And he couldn't have made it from random materials on the ground, because that's not how alchemy works- unless you have a PS, you need the same basic elements
Billea_the_Turtle
Well this episode was really good. Almost perfect. Only complaint that I have is that there were some animation mishaps (I'm sure someone has already pointed them out.)

-Is it wrong that I laughed when the general got his neck bitten? I just cannot take those zombies seriously.
-Poor scientist... What a gruesome way to die, getting eaten by zombies.
-Ed's facial expressions when he was trying to open the door were funny looking.
-Once again Olivier is being awesome.
-That general dude had some serious guts for having all the entrances to HQ closed when he was held hostage by Olivier. Too bad he got squished by Sloth in a humorous way.
-Why does that zombie have green blood? That is just creepy.
-"A bear! A bear with a Mohawk!" WIN 1.0
-Kimblee sure knows how to make an entrance.
-The FMA guy has lost it. That I am sure of. Eyecatch 1: "see no evil, speak no evil, hear no evil"
-I loved Mei beating up about 10 zombies in 5 seconds. WIN 2.0
-I think Envy just went CoS Gluttony on those zombies. And wait he got eaten? I don't remember that happening in the manga.
-Olivier why exactly are you shooting Sloth with a gun when you know it's not going to work?
-"SISTA~ ARE YOU AWRITE!" WIN 3.0
-Alphonse Elric next episode = WIN 4.0

Bag of Magic Food
QUOTE (theanimalmafia @ Apr 9 2010, 08:27 PM) *
I think Envy just went CoS Gluttony on those zombies. And wait he got eaten? I don't remember that happening in the manga.

I'd say that is a neater way for it to happen than Envy suddenly being able to hop out of the jar. Deadly Sin dominates lesser mannequin souls!
Kaori Ayanami
QUOTE (hawkflame @ Apr 9 2010, 05:09 AM) *
Not quite. The PS does allow equivalent exchange, in a sense, to be broken- well not really, but through the use of human souls, the price has already been paid.

Al couldn't have just remade his legs by further thinning out the rest of his armor, because then he risks the rest of his armor being structurally unsound. And he couldn't have made it from random materials on the ground, because that's not how alchemy works- unless you have a PS, you need the same basic elements
Didn't mean to misinform anyone. But I really, really don't remember that the PS has the power of bypassing physics laws and converting one element to another. That would link it to the historical alchemical theory, BUT it would also destroy the believable flair of FMA alchemy along with those rules.

Besides, soil has many metallic elements binded in chemical compounds. Al could have been able to put them aside and use them to repair his legs, even without a PS.

QUOTE (theanimalmafia @ Apr 9 2010, 07:27 PM) *
-Why does that zombie have green blood? That is just creepy.
I don't think it's blood. Those zombies, when injured, bleed in red. I think it's the eyeball liquid... (yeah, disgusting sleep.gif).

QUOTE (theanimalmafia @ Apr 9 2010, 07:27 PM) *
-"SISTA~ ARE YOU AWRITE!" WIN 3.0
In Japanese, the line is way more formal. Something along the lines of "My elder sister, are you safe and sound?" That "eldest sibling" thing is important in a Japanese context, so I didn't like the translation. dry.gif
shiroe
QUOTE (Kaori Ayanami @ Apr 10 2010, 03:39 PM) *
QUOTE (hawkflame @ Apr 9 2010, 05:09 AM) *

Didn't mean to misinform anyone. But I really, really don't remember that the PS has the power of bypassing physics laws and converting one element to another. That would link it to the historical alchemical theory, BUT it would also destroy the believable flair of FMA alchemy along with those rules.

Besides, soil has many metallic elements binded in chemical compounds. Al could have been able to put them aside and use them to repair his legs, even without a PS.

Kaori, I'm pretty sure that the whole point of a PS is to bypass equivalent exchange. See ep 3: Cornello was able to transmute real flowers into minerals --> he's transmuting organic objects into inorganic ones. Equivalent exchange never allows this. What's more, he's able to transmute a gun out of thin air. So yeah, a PS can bypass almost any law in the FMA universe.

About Al, yeah normally he can easily fix an armor like that using elements in the ground. But there is a reason why Ed always has to be the person who fixes his armor. Only Ed knows how to do it without messing with the seal on Al's armor. The PS, once again, helps Al overcome this restriction.
Broken Chouchou
The principle of Equivalent Exchange can't be bypassed. You still pay the price, even when using a PS, only it's not your money. With the energy in the PS, you evidently don't have to abide to the "conservation of mass" law. But I don't believe it can create something out of nothing.

Cornello didn't create the gun from thin air. He transmuted his cain. He just extended already existing matter, in a manner of speaking. Wooden matter --> metal matter at that, which I think proves a PS can convert one substance to another.

And Al, he didn't get the metal for his legs out of nowhere. He used the metal already available in his armour, to remake them.

I guess this physically is bypassing the equivalency exchange, matter-wise. But the principle remains unbroken.

Also, Al could normally not easily fix his armour using elements in the ground. Maybe it would be possible. But think of how much ground he would have to transmute, just to "obtain" sufficient amounts of metals. It would not be quick, it would not be easy.
penguintruth
Hey, my episode summaries are actually be used now! Cool. :3

Anyway, I was so torn about this episode. On the one hand, I love everything Olivier does all the time, and Alex joining the fight was great. On the other hand, I've never liked those white homunculi dolls. They feel like last minute mooks, and their only use is to give Envy a body (how convenient).

I love Kimbley's expression at the end when Al is walking forward. He is so super excited about that turn of events.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.