Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Episode 50: Upheaval In Central - Content Discussion Thread
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Anime
Chiyo
Talk-back/content discussion for English dubbed episode on Adult Swim starts on page 3. smile.gif

Please post the discussions on the content of episode 50 here.
This thread is declared as a Spoiler zone for the content of the first 50 episodes.

Please don't ask for links on where to watch this episode, raw or subbed. Discussions on 'where to watch' belong in Where/How to Watch FMA Series 2. Don't post screencaps unless highlighting something important about the content of the episode. Just like on in most area's of the board, avoid one line posts or spam of any kind.

Screenshots: see Omni's Post.

Full Screenshots: over at livejournal, provided by Moogledaime usually a couple days after episode has aired.

Summary: Roy Mustang and his group are joined by troops from the East who support them. The higher-ups notice that Roy's group is not killing anybody, only disabling them. In the council room, Olivier mocks the other officials for the weakness of their soldiers. She suggests taking over the Central toops herself, but is told that she's only there to restrain the Briggs troops. She laughs at this, as she is sure if it came to that, her troops would abandon her instead of giving in. Elsewhere, Briggs troops, led by Buccaneer, prepare to go into battle at a location in Central. As Roy's troops run out of ammo, help arrives in the form of an ammo-filled supply truck. Roy finds Maria Ross in the front, and it's revealed the person who put it all together is none other than Jean Havoc. Edward, Hohenheim, Scar, and the chimera (save for Heinkel, who is hurt) head for Central. Mei is in Central with Envy and heads to the underground. Olivier kills one of the generals and injures another. Pride's clanging on Alphonse's head is heard by Father in Central. Edward and the group enter the path to Father via Laboratory 3, where they split up into groups. One of the remaining officers activates the white "immortal army" homunculi, whose screams can be heard by everyone. - © Penguintruth, used with permission.

Extra: Sorry this is open so early, will not be able to get on the internet later. UK and other European countries remember it is our Daylight Savings tomorrow so check times carefully.
ShadowCat17
Was it just me or was there a ton of new music in this episode
penguintruth
My initial thoughts:

- It's about to hit the fan now!
- Saved by those folks that served under Roy in the war... that we never got to see in the Ishbal flashback!
- Love the guy with the lightning bolt hair
- Olivier <3 <3 <3
- You tell those quivering piles of jelly, Olivier!
- The Briggs soldiers return!
- Ah, the shipment's come in! That's some ice cream!
- Maria Ross returns! With awesome new music!
- Eff yeah, Havoc! Aaaaannnnd that's about all for him.
- Oh, hey Edward. I forgot you were also in this.
- Uh, you guys are still hanging around the mound? Stop wasting time!
- More Olivier being awesome.
- "This is exactly what it looks like."
- Looking very inconspicuous there, Fu. I'm sure nobody will notice the guy dressed in ninja clothes in the daytime. (Well, they don't.)
- Ugh, it's the stupid "immortal soldiers", the white zombie things. LAME.

Pretty awesome episode. And next time, we reach episode 51, the episode the first series ended on.
Michiyo-
- Last episode with this OP.
- Keyholeís lagging is awful.
- Royís old team from Ishbal is back.
- Rebecca and the ice cream truck is here! biggrin.gif
- Buccaneer and the Briggs team!
- Maria!
- Nice music. I havenít heard it before.
- No! Keyhole crashed and I missed Havocís return!
- Hi May.
- Olivier has been discovered. But sheís always cool. And she got that awesome music again. smile.gif
- Edís plan to get in was funnier in the manga. And more new music.
- The immortal army is very creepy.
- Lots of old characters came back in this ep. And we got lots of new music. So, it was a really good episode.
- New OP/ED next week! I canít wait! ^^
Vlyse
From what I could see, that was a really good episode.

I saw they made it clear where Mei and Envy were going, and I noticed a bunch of new music, too.

I'm disappointed that they didn't end on Havoc with the ED playing early one more time, but I guess the immortal army cliffhanger works.

Btw, what was the first eyecatch? I didn't..catch..it. mellow.gif
Levive
I'm glad it's an 8 hours difference between Poland and Japan - FMA airs now at 10am here!
- Period! I will miss this opening, somehow.
- So we start off with last week's cliffhanger.
- Aaaand, Olivier!
- Hell yeah, Briggs' back into action!
- Oh why hello there, Rebecca! Nice to see you again!
- And Maria, too!
- HAVOC! The music made it epic.
- Curse you, KeyHole! I missed the first eyecatch : (
- And the second one is Hoho again?
- Oh look, Ed's still alive.
- Oi, May! Haven't seen you in a while.
- Olivier, you're so badass.
- And Fuu! Wow, so it's really the beginning of the end, can't believe it.
- Father sense tingling.
- So they kept in the "I'm the State Alchemist!" scene.
- Epic music again.
- And the Homunculi awakened.
- What, no cool usage of the ending this time?
- But I will miss Shunkan Sentimental even more than Period, I'm addicted to this song : (
- Well, we're getting into more action next week, that's for sure.
This week's episode was nothing special at all, at least for me, though it was nice to see all the characters back into action again.
amestris_star
This episode was so epic that I can't even describe the epicness.

Team Mustang in full with epic returns and epicness all around... new music, loooooads of action, freaky zombies and... I need to see it not on Keyhole - only that sucked this morning!

And yes, new OP and ED next week!
Bag of Magic Food
QUOTE (penguintruth @ Mar 28 2010, 02:30 AM) *
And next time, we reach episode 51, the episode the first series ended on.

I wonder how many newbies will try to start on episode 52 thinking it's the continuation of the same show.
RoytheFlameAlchemist
Duh, keyhole was extremely laggy today, at least i got to watch the first half.
Maria and Havoc comebacks = awesomeness
Olivier is so calm explaining the truth about how miserable those high ranks actions are.

QUOTE (Vlyse @ Mar 28 2010, 05:38 AM) *

Maria Ross + Havoc
Flamez_Freak
QUOTE (Bag of Magic Food @ Mar 28 2010, 02:16 PM) *
QUOTE (penguintruth @ Mar 28 2010, 02:30 AM) *
And next time, we reach episode 51, the episode the first series ended on.

I wonder how many newbies will try to start on episode 52 thinking it's the continuation of the same show.

that is one of the most funny comments ive ever read on the internet....ahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Omni
Episode 50 Screencaps and Impressions

QUOTE (Vlyse @ Mar 28 2010, 04:38 AM) *

Vlyse
Thanks, RoyTheFlameAlchemist and Omni. I guess that would explain not getting that kind of ending.
shanryelric
keyhole CRACKED UP and I can't catch almost all of it T^T I missed the roy-havoc scene, didn;t see the eyecatches, can't really hear new music, and cant see when maria ross came back also. damn it, keyhole. now waiting for the raws. aaaaaaaagh
overall, nice eps, but it's not so special, though.. T^T aaaargh can't wait for next week's new OP and Ed themes!! biggrin.gif
Kasumisty
http://i44.tinypic.com/207rwag.jpg

Duh, watched only the second half of it. (or less)

-Yay for Olivier - sword stabbing woman of death~ (too bad she pierced the guy's arm, not sliced it in half with bone sticking and all)

-Screenshot from the first episode, anyone?

-Lol, Ed behaving like a coward and asking for help. Hohenheim does not approve.

-I liked Hohenheim's kindness with Ranfan and how he chose her only to let her search for Ling. He totally ships it

-Zombies used SCREECH

-Next time Mei Chang with jar on her head and boobs-grabing Sloth.

Can't wait.

So far into it already.

EDIT: Great episode, stunning animation and several new tracks. (I guess there will be 3rd soundtrack after all). And the blood-thirsty zombies from preview looked really frightening (and cool at the same time).

Btw, can someone encode the Morse message that Pride was sending to Father?
hilary
here I've got some screenshot

allykatty1
Yay for new music! I've been listening to the second OST ad nauseum for the last couple days and if there's one thing Brotherhood's soundtrack has going for it over the original anime, it's the amazing action tracks. And there were two or three more of them introduced here. smile.gif

I also love the track that plays when Ross and Havoc make their reappearances and recognize it from the ending of the "Simple People" OVA. I loved it when I first heard it there and wondered when it would pop up in the main show. It's basically an amped-up version of "Nightfall in Central City."

And yeah, the "zombies" are just a little bit lame, but eh, who knows, maybe they'll make them work. Now that the series has finally slowed the hell down, I feel like Bones can do almost no wrong at this point. tongue.gif If only it had ended at 72 or so instead of 63, now that would have been perfect pacing for the entire manga. Oh well... sleep.gif
essa
did anyone notice that izumi was amongst briggs' soldiers? xD
She's the one with the red eyes, and you can see her slippers in the shade. She wasn't in the manga though but that made me laugh xD
Mr. Deathy
Great episode. Glad to see that it seems Akira Senju was just saving a bunch of new music tracks for the episodes close to the finale.

This episode I think serves nicely to give purpose to all the events of the last 20 episodes or so. You start to get a feeling of everything coming together here and that the story hasn't just been going off in random tangents, it's all leading to this day.

I'm surprised this episode only covered up to where it did actually. I was expecting them to have paced it a bit faster to end at the end of chapter 90 but the pacing was nice anyway, not rushed at all. I guess next episode will go to the end of chapter 91.

Can't wait for every single episode from now on.

I have one LITTLE complaint with the episode. They did slightly censor what Olivier done to that one guy's arm, but I always expected them to. It works either way anyway. She just made a little more sure he wouldn't be keeping grip on the gun in the manga....
Kasumisty
Btw, I loved this scene.

"Shocked and appalled".
deet-tastic
-Heck yes, episode of win LETS GO
-Mustang being all cool
-SNAP SNAP SNAP. I love it
-Oh hey Olivier! Time to prove once again how awesome you are.. nope scene changed
-ICE CREAM TRUCK OF WIN
-Mustangs awesome snap into that building was awesome
-Maria!!
-Havoc!
-I loved Breda, Fuery, and Hawkeyes faces.
- W.C. sandals, now who could THAT be XP
- Olivier cements herself as the most bamf character in FMA history
- Edo, you make me laugh
- Hohenheim the pedophile XP
- Z0MGIMMORTALAMRYDESU

Heck yeah!! Look at the preview!!! We get Kimblee and Sloth! I can't believe how far Brotherhood is. It's amazing!!
EveningAlchemist
Oh, yeeeah... You gotta love it when the military kicks butt! It's very noble of them to just injure the soldiers instead of outright killing them, because we all know Mustang could do some serious damage. Not to mention the rest of them, and with Rebecca's present to boot! 'Cause ammunition is better than ice-cream... Although, I don't think the Brigg's soldiers were quite as merciful! bigeyed.png

Man, I don't care how odd the immortal soldiers are, they still scare me! D:

The music really made this episode! From the entrance of the Briggs soldiers and Rebecca, Maria and Jean, to Ed's gang storming the lab, to the awakening of the immortals! The music was grand and totally set the mood for a military battle! The sirens really got to me too. I see a 3rd OST in the future...

Are we really this close to the end now?! Only 13 more episodes...
Katya Martin
Yeah, I didn't see the sandals, but I saw the red eyes among the Briggs guys and figured "Yep, that'll be Izumi."

The part where Ross and Havoc showed up was pretty great. The "Wait, it's YOU!" expressions were awesome.

...And then the zombies showed up oh gosh
Vicious74
Olivier wins this episode.
Vagrant
Really enjoyed it. Gripping stuff, just the right epic music for it too. (and Ed's comic relief that someone said they wanted to see in the last thread)

I have yet to re-read the manga, so I'll probably end up hating it. But for now - great episode!
Katya Martin
Also, Hohenheim telling Ed "You're a terrible person" kind of made my day... It is kind of true.
IceSkadi
More I mull over this more I think that they will do (or better: should do) a kind of OAV about the Ishbar War to fill the gaps about Roy's comrades and to put the "burn my back" scene

LOL! Spot Izumi laugh.gif !

Broken Chouchou
Lots of great new music. Didn't feel all too excited about the happenings of this episode though, didn't have much impact on me - not sure if that's whether because I'm ridicilously tired and wasn't very receptible, or if there was something else behind it. It was almost only action, which I would have enjoyed had it been more... intense perhaps. It felt like very light action, there was no real thrill about it.

I did get goosebumps though when Maria revealed herself, it was 30 episodes since we saw her last. And the zombie dolls coming to life freaked the sh*t out of me ohmy.gif Pretty darn creepy, wasn't expecting them to start screaming like that O_O Sucks to be Ed and co right about now. More so than in the manga, considering scariness factor XD Also, in the prieview, the dolls looked really good, with the fleshy wounds and blood stains around their mouths. They seem so much creepier animated.

Another thing in the preview was Ed looking a bit odd, I thought. I don't know if any of you will understand what I'm going with here, but I thought that the way he was animated reminded a bit of an 80's/90's anime, stylistically; the shape of his (big) eyes (with huge whites), his face and facial impression in general, and maybe the bright red hue of his coat contributed. The slowish zoom with the white speed lines may have helped, too. Not sure how to explain it better, but that's the impression I got tongue.gif

(Oh, and Olivier looks totally hot in the last shot XP)
Vlyse
I agree, Ed does look odd in the preview.
Kasumisty
http://i42.tinypic.com/5leat4.png

I guess his face is drawn differently/is at strange angle. Judging from the preview, next episode animation will be good one.
Vlyse
Wow, how many more times can they incorporate the Freezing Alchemist into the story?

I just noticed, in Eclipse's subs at least, that during Olivier's first speech she says "And the Central Army who can't even defeat him are even more inexperienced." and then basically right after, she says "I've heard that headquarters was almost completely frozen by a single traitor."

I found that addition very creative of Bones. laugh.gif
Billea_the_Turtle
^ Ha I didn't even notice that when I was watching! That was creative of Bones.

Anyway, this episode was action packed and it was brilliant. And new music, WOOT!
shiroe
QUOTE (Vlyse @ Mar 31 2010, 04:13 AM) *
Wow, how many more times can they incorporate the Freezing Alchemist into the story?

I just noticed, in Eclipse's subs at least, that during Olivier's first speech she says "And the Central Army who can't even defeat him are even more inexperienced." and then basically right after, she says "I've heard that headquarters was almost completely frozen by a single traitor."

I found that addition very creative of Bones. laugh.gif

Oh, thanks for that! I had a question mark above my head when I heard that line, wondering what she's talking 'bout.
Yeah, Bones are working hard to keep "filler dude" within the canon story! biggrin.gif

Anyway, next episode looks great! Can't wait!
deet-tastic
Isaac the Freezer? That's what she ment! OHHH.
Makes sense now.
HOW CLEVER OF BONES.
Bag of Magic Food
Yeah, I must have assumed it was a metaphorical "frozen with indecision" in reference to the current crisis.
Billea_the_Turtle
My thoughts:

-For some reason I like the guy with the lightning bolt hair. Charlie... I think that's his name.
-And Olivier is so calm while telling those higher-ups about their actions
-I see Izumi!
-Briggs soldiers!
-I love how they put all the weapons in an ice cream truck
-Hiya Maria
-Havoc!!! <3
-Wait Mei's in this episode?
-Olivier is being awesome and a half this ep.
-Yay they left in Hohenheim telling Ed "You're a terrible person."
-Creepy-arse zombies are really freaky. I was SO not expecting them to be this scary and all.

Excellent episode with the brilliant music. Only complaint I have is that they censored Olivier cutting up the flunky's arm. I really wanted to see that animated too. dry.gif
deet-tastic
Whether she was slicing someone's arm horizontally and wedging her sword in their bone, or stabbing straight though it.. I think we can agree it was still Bad A.

And I think it's safe to say Olivier OWNS that song now. She's had it played for her 3 times, whereas Mustang just had the once. And Ed the once.
Kaori Ayanami
Epic music for an epic event (Olivier rebelling against the higher-ups). Yeah, she almost owns that track, but nothing can be compared with Lust's blazing fall. thumbsup_anim.gif

Overall a so-so episode. The music was good and well used, but sometimes the drawing was lacking, or there was no animation at all (Maria Ross' reveal was an obvious budget-saving point). But there were very good things, like Ed's trick to enter Lab 5 (except for Scar, he looked funnier in the manga) and Mei's added scene which showed her going through the entrance to Father's lair (I would have liked something like that in the manga, she just seemed to appear way too near the heroes at the critical time). The whole "cordon off the area" was very clever in my opinion. Even some little things were very nice details, like the truck's logo or Hohenheim's voice saying that old men prefer to be alone with young girls. wink.gif
Besides, Olivier saying that those Central "pigs" were about to be freezed up by a lone wacko in the past just made them seem all the more useless. XD

Did anyone of you found funny the immortal army awakening? That scream made me think of a horde of fangirls raging at a concert. The heros' subsequent faces didn't help to take that idea out of my head. ^^U
That calls strongly for a short in an AMV Hell of sorts. *hint*
Ropespinner
QUOTE (Kaori Ayanami @ Apr 1 2010, 11:14 AM) *
Did anyone of you found funny the immortal army awakening? That scream made me think of a horde of fangirls raging at a concert. The heros' subsequent faces didn't help to take that idea out of my head. ^^U
That calls strongly for a short in an AMV Hell of sorts. *hint*

YES. My friend literally fell off her chair laughing at that scene. When the zombies immortal puppet army sound like a horde of screaming fangirls, it doesn't exactly add to their credibility. On the other hand, it might say something about fangirls as well... wink.gif
The expressions on the characters' faces looked like they were thinking "darn, we were late! The concert has already started!"

Other than the fangirl-screaming zombies (and some animation issues Kaori Ayanami just mentioned), I quite liked this episode.
deet-tastic
Oh that was the immortal army?
I thought for sure Fullmetal has crossed into our world again and the fangirls were storming central. Eating and killing anyone in there way.

This totally calls for an epic youtube video. . .
A Pierrot's Aria
I quite liked this episode. xD I actually thought the army awakening sounded freaky; kind of reminded me of that movie that I can never remember the name of when those people scream and point. xD

I also really liked when it was all silent and Pride was tapping on Al's head; I thought it created quite a bit of tension.
zonkiethegreat
AWESOME episode!
Of course this was like an EPIC CHAPTER in the MANGA TOO!!!

-Olivier, amazing as usual, what else do you expect? Can she really be more awesome?? Yes, YES SHE CAN.

-MUSTANG is BACK in snapping action!! FINALLY. Am I the only one who feels like there has been a shortage of Mr. Mustang in this series???

-BRIGGS is murdering those Central scumbags "Assasins Creed"-style!

- HAVOC...*drool for the 5 seconds he is on screen*....I love him. I was looking forward to this part! biggrin.gif

- The screaming flesh eating zombies. creepy, and look how freaked out everyone seems! yay!

-Oh great SLOTH is coming back....***YAWN***

All in all great ep, of course if you read the manga, then you shouldn't have expected less! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (essa @ Mar 28 2010, 11:25 AM) *
did anyone notice that izumi was amongst briggs' soldiers? xD
She's the one with the red eyes, and you can see her slippers in the shade. She wasn't in the manga though but that made me laugh xD

WOW I was wondering who the red glowing eyes belonged to!!! LOL...that is awesome.
Fawfulhasfury
My thoughts -

The music here when Mustang is rescued sounds like music from Star Wars. Which is not a bad thing.
LIGHTNING BOLT MAN!
Stairwell guys destroyed. Colonel Mustang stars in CALL OF DUTY 10 - THROUGH THE FIRE AND THE FLAMES.
Cigar guy is just mad because he was rejected from the Street Fighter 2 roster.
CALL OF DUTY 10 - Sneak up and listen to enemy soldiers trashtalk you before burning their buns off.
Cigar Guy: "NO fatalities!? This is as bad as when I couldn't use my Up, Down, Left, A, B, A, B special move in Mortal Kombat!"
ISAAC CAMEO.
Oh, Olivia. When will you find the one man who can show you his abundant experience?
EXTREMELY EPIC MUSIC.
EXTREMELY EPIC CINEMATOGRAPHY.
SNOW NINJAS. New Assassin's Creed expansion pack - CENTRAL CITY.
Mustang can snipe too.
EXTREMELY EPIC MUSIC AGAIN.
EXTREME SHOCK.
GREATEST CHARACTER RETURN EVER. EPIC BEARDAGE. EPIC STORE. EPIIIIIIICCCC!!!
Oh, May, you stupid stupid girl.
Oh, Olivia, you Terminatress!
ZOMBEEZ!

Chiyo
Deet - I have moved your video to the Capsummaries page, along with any comments related to it. I appreciate the humour (I really did lol) but want to keep on topic. Thank-you
Michiyo-
Please add FMA:B English dubbed episode 50 (on CN on Adult Swim) talk-back/discussions here. smile.gif

FMA:B will air 1:00 AM - 1: 30 AM and 5:00 AM - 5:30 AM eastern time. smile.gif
Tombow
For anyone who missed this episode, it is on again on Adult Swim (U.S.) late tonight. smile.gif
Tombow
For anyone who missed this episode, it is on again on Adult Swim (U.S.) late tonight. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.