Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fullmetal Alcemist (first series) English VA discussions
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1) > English Dub episodes (on Adult Swim)
Metdenn
Rose and Ed sound too old; especially during the mom-transmu.

However, the townspeople, Lust and Al (who is amazing) is spot on, and the localizing is great so far...

makes me very hopeful!
Major Armstrong
Rose's and Ed's voices don't work out for me, and Alphonse's is so so. But they should've kept the first opening and not used the second.
Lunar Alchemist
I think Al's voice is awesome.
It seems too "tiny" for him being what, 14 years old?
And even though I've not seen the original I think they did a good job in selecting the voice actor for Ed.
It just feels that he would have a voice like that.
Ailuro
@Lunar Alchemist - Technically Al is 14. But he got sealed when he was only 10.
Thus, he couldn't mature and his voice stayed the same. Ya get it? o_o
telepika
I'm surprised that I actually liked the dub. (Don't kill me. Please don't kill me. I'm new!!)
I mean Ed's voice does bother me, and so does Rose's, but at least they didn't totally ruin it.
And I liked Al's voice. biggrin.gif
clara
rose sounds too old
and ed sounds old but thats okay/ at least hes not like super old....hehe

I want to hear everyone else's voices T-T......
Al sounds cute haha... how old is the voice actor? hhaha

I think I might buy the dvd... =P
fullmetalthao
ummm why is everyone talking about there voices?
i mean there's nothing wrong with them.
if there is, then who cares because it's all the same.
just the voices are different.
not all the translators could read English.
maybe, can't you just accept it?
i mean there is nothing you can do.
True FMA
I hadn't thought about it that way.
Good point.
Ailuro
You'll be missing a lot if you don't watch the Japanese. >_<
Their voices are wonderful in Japanese.
TheVileOne
The reason I like the show being dubbed and being shown on TV it allows you to watch and experience the show in a whole different way.
And I think that's a good thing.
SpaceDrake
I've actually spoken with a few of the VAs (and the director!) of the dub, and as far as Aaron Dismuke (Al) goes, they say "wait till episode 3."
They seem confident about it, but I have to admit I'm still a bit worried about him.

I'm impressed with this dub so far.
They haven't edited much if anything of the actual SHOW, and they're putting in the proper ending themes as well. I have high expectations for the rest of the show.
angieness
Told you guys it wasn't a bad dub! biggrin.gif I'm happy to see it improving with every episode, I can't wait to see the military
telepika
SpaceDrake, how the hey were you able to talk to the VA's and the director!!
Omakase Shimasu
It would be pretty embarassing if Vic did indeed come here just to see all these topics with members bashing his voice talent. -__- Let alone Mike McFarland... ph34r.gif
babiixlibrax
at first i though ed's voice is too deep and al's responses are always too short.. and roze sounds like shes 30!!! look at her shes like 14!!!!
-Zhou Yu-
Al sounds like he's 10 years old its hard to believe his 14
GaaraFreak
Al sounds like he's 10 years old its hard to believe his 14

Seeing as Ed sealed Al's soul when he was 10, he acts and sounds like he's 10, because he cannot mature at all in a metal suit
I'm eagerly awaiting episode three.. we finally get some backround info on the brothers!
SpaceDrake
Yeah, that's not even much of a spoiler. In the original Japanese even, his voice never changed; it was suggested through action that Al never really matured much physically after being sealed inside the suit.
Raitakimaru
You guys who havn't seen the jap anime are seriously missing out on some good music, listen to them when you get an oppurtunity to.
SpaceDrake
QUOTE (Major Armstrong @ Nov 15 2004, 05:59 PM)
* SpaceDrake, how the hey were you able to talk to the VA's and the director!!

http://www.dubreview.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1042

http://www.dubreview.com

Yep, actual VAs do post to this website. I'm sure they'd visit here too, if we prod them nicely enough. tongue.gif
Mike McFarland (mikemc1) is the producer/director for FMA, and Caitlin Brown is Winry (as though her avatar didn't make it obvious).
And yes, the owners of DubReview have gone to great lengths to ensure that these people are who they say they are.
Spartan-Church
I saw the dubbed FMA. I recorded since I have TiVo I don't have to say up. Ain't I lucky? Lol, Just kidding. The dubbed FMA isn't really bad to me, but I would like to see the Japanese verison.
damanimelover
laugh.gif I saw it and I loved it. As with the other DVD's I collect I will wait till it comes out and hear the voices in Japanese and English. I am not "jaded" by what people feel they should or shouldnt sound like (voices that is) being I am new to the story and the way its sounding but so far I am a fan and I cant wait till the box set comes out so I can add it to my collection!
Damanimelover! rolleyes.gif
Ailuro
I rather like Klose's dubbed voice (episode 4). happy.gif
TheVileOne
Mahjihal was played by Kent Williams in English.
You might've heard him before as the narrator for the English dub of YuYu Hakusho.
Elderberry
...To be honest, I'm kind of surprised that all you guys can stand Ed's dubbed voice. I saw the first episode dubbed, and I was surpsrised that it was actually mostly decent- except for Ed's voice. ...It just sounded so...fake!
>_<

(Um, for those who have only seen the dubbed version, feel free to send me angry blazing messages of wrath...happy.gif )

alchemist_master
come on the english dubbed isn't really that bad,by the by, here is a pic if anyone wants it.
IPB Image
fullmetal_psychokiwi
QUOTE(Elderberry @ Nov 29 2004, 11:21 AM)
...To be honest, I'm kind of surprised that all you guys can stand Ed's dubbed voice.  I saw the first episode dubbed, and I was surpsrised that it was actually mostly decent- except for Ed's voice.  ...It just sounded so...fake!
>_<

(Um, for those who have only seen the dubbed version, feel free to send me angry blazing messages of wrath...happy.gif )

But, speaking of the actual show, I agree!  It definitely gets even better later on!  (Nina's going to appear in another week or so, right? happy.gif)

Note: This is not an angry blazing message of wrath. biggrin.gif

I love Ed's voice, but then again, I've never seen the Japanese version. Who plays his voice in Japanese?
Omakase Shimasu
Paku Romi and before you ask, she's a her. wink.gif
Elderberry
QUOTE(fullmetal_psychokiwi @ Nov 29 2004, 06:55 PM)
I love Ed's voice, but then again, I've never seen the Japanese version.

... You really should go find the Japanese version! laugh.gif When I think about it, by American standards, Ed's voice isn't complete trash because it does have lots of emotion (a little overexaggerated, yes, but atleast it's not completely flat like some other things I've heard by accident...), but it can't compare to the original Ed...(Paku Romi's voice is just irreplaceable... cool.gif ) That, and I thought that the dubbed Ed's voice was a little too low and in your face-ishy for him... unsure.gif

...I think a large part of it has to do with me being freaked out with the 10-year old Ed having the exact same voice as the 15-year old Ed... blink.gif

...If you've watched some other anime, Paku Romi also does the voice of Temari in Naruto. happy.gif
Major Armstrong
Yes, Ed's voice has some emotion but again, it sounds too old, he sounds 20. As far as the Japanese fan subs go, i highly recommend that you get them. When you watch the Japanese version, you get the feel of what the director was looking for in the characters voice. Good luck trying to find the later episodes though.
Pushin_Love
Hey all, very very very new person here... laugh.gif

I love the show and have been watching it since it started on AS.

I have to say, I think the American voice is okay. I talked to the guy and he's really into the character. I think it's workable... rolleyes.gif
fullmetal_psychokiwi
QUOTE(Omakase Shimasu @ Nov 30 2004, 07:23 AM)
Paku Romi and before you ask, she's a her. wink.gif

Ed's voice is done by a girl? That's awesome! I always think it sounds really cool when japanese girls do the voices for guys. laugh.gif Example...Dilandau, in Escaflowne. biggrin.gif Wow, I guess Ed's english voice *must* be a lot different then. blink.gif
fullmetal_psychokiwi
QUOTE(Elderberry @ Nov 30 2004, 11:24 AM)
QUOTE(fullmetal_psychokiwi @ Nov 29 2004, 06:55 PM)
I love Ed's voice, but then again, I've never seen the Japanese version.

... You really should go find the Japanese version! laugh.gif When I think about it, by American standards, Ed's voice isn't complete trash because it does have lots of emotion (a little overexaggerated, yes, but atleast it's not completely flat like some other things I've heard by accident...), but it can't compare to the original Ed...(Paku Romi's voice is just irreplaceable... cool.gif ) That, and I thought that the dubbed Ed's voice was a little too low and in your face-ishy for him... unsure.gif

...I think a large part of it has to do with me being freaked out with the 10-year old Ed having the exact same voice as the 15-year old Ed... blink.gif

...If you've watched some other anime, Paku Romi also does the voice of Temari in Naruto. happy.gif

I've only seen some Naruto, but I'll see if I can borrow it from my friend and listen to Temari's voice. laugh.gif BTW, how would I find the Japanese version? Are the DVDs out yet?
BlackFox
To anyone who has seen fma in japanese, i agree with you, the english dub isnt even close, and heh i didnt know that ed was played by a girl..
heh Hi im new to the forum also
Kyuuka_kaze
As it says in my sig, I've read all the chapers out so far, but I'm a dub person.
You see, firstly I couldn't find a site with episodes.
The only one I could find said it would take 750 hours to download it. blink.gif
So I found this French-site thing and I downloaded an episode.
And it wouldn't play because it asked me for a password. wacko.gif
Then I heard it was coming to the US, so I stopped trying.
I hope the anime is as good as the manga, for the manga is the only manga EVER to give me the creeps.
(I think some of you may already know what I'm talking about without even having to say it)
SpaceDrake
QUOTE(Elderberry @ Nov 30 2004, 06:24 PM)

Ah ah ah *waves finger*, you can't complain too much about that in the English version, because the Japanese had the exact same problem. Paku Romi went a little higher, maybe, but Ed still sounded too old to be 10 even in Japanese.

Welcome to the madhouse, new fans. We don't bite. Much.

And yes, Envy is one of the series' cornerstone characters. It's voice is going to be a make-or-break point for the English version; they screw it up, the whole thing is ruined.

(And yes, I'm using "it" intentionally. You'll see why soon enough.)
suger_snake
one thing that bugs me is winrys voice
it's too must simple girl and i think it really dose not fit her character's look
it kind of bugs me *twitch*
TheVileOne
FYI, the english voice of Barry The Chopper was also the English voice of of Jimmy Kudo in Funimation's Case Closed/Detective Conan.

The English VA cast continues to impress me and making the experience of watching FMA all over again an interesting one.
Kirara
Woohoo I love Barry the Chopper and Jerry Jewell.
I am happy Jerry Jewell is voicing Barry the Chopper, I have loved everything he has done so far.
I am so happy he is voicing the character.
Flame Alchemist12
Hey I am Extremely new but barry the choppers voice is so epic. I mean if you met this guy on the street you would think he enjoyed killing people. And thats before he had his spirit bonde to a suit of armor!
xHearter
I LOVE ed and Al's voices! they're way better than the japanese. Al sounds to girly, and Ed sounds like a bratty little kid in japanese....xD But in English is when I fall in love with them!

oh, BTW, I emailed Vic Mignogna(the guys who does Ed) AND HE REPLIED!!!! EEEEEEEEH!! ^^
srsly, he did, he's rly nice to fangs and he said he couldn't wait to see me at a convention someday!! ^^

I rly liked Winry's voice too, and Roy's.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.