Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Episode 49: Filial Affection - Content Discussion Thread
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Anime
Chiyo
Talk-back/content discussion for English dubbed episode on Adult Swim starts on page 3. smile.gif

Before you say the title is wrong, please refer to Tombow's Post.

Please post the discussions on the content of episode 49 here.
This thread is declared as a Spoiler zone for the content of the first 49 episodes.

Please don't ask for links on where to watch this episode, raw or subbed. Discussions on 'where to watch' belong in Where/How to Watch FMA Series 2. Don't post screencaps unless highlighting something important about the content of the episode. Just like on in most area's of the board, avoid one line posts or spam of any kind.

Screenshots: see Omni's post.

Full Screenshots: over at livejournal, provided by Moogledaime usually a couple days after episode has aired.

Summary: Hohenheim tries to get Alphonse to wake up as Pride detects him and plans to lure him out. Greed takes back control of Ling's body as the group continues fighting Pride. Alphonse finally wakes up and asks his father to help him in a plan. Back at the fight, Pride is easily overwhelming Edward, Greed, and Ranfan, when Hohenheim shows up. Alphonse runs up behind Pride, but is caught. Pride calls Al foolish, which angers Hohenheim, who springs the plan into action. As Alphonse grabs Pride, Hohenheim uses his power to cause huge chunks of the ground to come up and close around Pride and Alphonse. The plan is revealed to have Pride trapped in total darkness in the giant mound until after the Promised Day. Realzing Pride is out of comission, Greed races towards Central, planning to take over the world. Scar, Marcoh, and their chimera companions meet with homeless folks who inform them of the blowing up of Bradley's train. Meanwhile, Kimbley kills several Ishbalans in the Central area. Inside the dark mound, Pride tells Alphonse of Mrs. Bradley's kindness. Scar's group meets up with Ed's group and Fu goes ahead to Central. Daylight comes and Edward puts on hs red coat for the Promised Day. In Central, Roy's rebellion begins. - © penguintruth, used with permission.

Extra Note: Still looking for someone to write a summary of each episode for me. If you would like to provide a summary for this episode, let me know Found. Also, UK fans might want to read the information in the first post on Where/How to Watch about streaming in the UK.
Vlyse
-Gah, another recap
-Lots of new music
-Pride looks creepy
-Ok, this episode DOES feel bloated to me
-No "A hero always waits until the last minute to save the day."? Hohenheim jokes RIP sad.gif
-Filler Roy scene, this couldn't possibly be foreshadowing!
-Nice way to end the episode with Ed putting his coat on
-Wow, they included Denny's scene and Mustang's team being cornered with Mrs.Bradley

It's all going down next episode. Wow.
Michiyo-
- We start with fight scenes again. Wow, the animation is great.
- Al is awake now. And he has a plan.
- Hohenheim, the hero arrived to the scene. And heís awesome.
- I hear new music!
- And now we have more creepy Pride and Kimblee eyecatches.
- Scar and the gang arrived too.
- Long time no see, Kimblee.
- Pride remembers his mummy.
- Extra scene with Roy and Riza! biggrin.gif
- And the promised day finally arrived.
- Denny!
- Roy-tachi in action! And a cliffhanger. tongue.gif
It really looked like to me that this episode was done by the same animation director who did ep. 19. And heís the best.
I canít wait for the next episode. ^^
penguintruth

My initial thoughts:

- Do we really need a recap?
- Yay, Greed's back in charge of Ling's body!
- I like how the "lights" in Al's eyes go back on when he reattaches his head
- Jeez, Selim/Pride is extra creepy in this episode
- Dun dun dun... our hero, folks! Hohenheim!
- I love Greed's expression when he realizes Pride is out of the picture for now
- This "OOOooooo-ooooooo-ooooooh" track is effing annoying.
- Oh, that Greed! He's such a scoundrel!
- Speaking of scoundrels, here's Kimbley! He sure loves his work.
- D'awww, Mrs. Bradley wuvs her son!
- Ah, a new scene, with Roy at Hughes' grave! I'm sure this won't figure in at all later on! Way to try to fix Arakawa's blunder, Bones. But it's too little, too late.
- Hey, let's spend time with characters that are of no significance!
- Ed knows how to make putting on a coat seem pretty cool.
- Oh, hey there, Denny.

Okay episode, I guess.
Levive
- We start off with Pride still mocking Edo.
- And it turns into cool animated all-out fight.
- Pride's eyes are scary.
- Loved the scene with Al attacking Pride.
- Wow, Hoho, you're so cool.
- Also loved the "I'm going to rule the world!" scene.
- And it's something like 3rd or 4th Prido eyecatch.
- And Kimblee's too. Hey, what he's doing here? Isn't it too early for him?
- Oh well, it looks like it isn't. At least it's the beginning of the end for him.
- The scene when Mrs. Bradley rescued Selim was touching.
- Why I don't recall the graveyard scene?
- The ending scene with "The promised day... has begun" was really cool. At this point I will really miss Shunkan Sentimental.
- And the rebellion has begun!
- Wow, a cliffhanger. Haven't seen you for a while, buddy.
shanryelric
- fight scenes again. great animation smile.gif
- Aruuu smile.gif smile.gif
- Hohenheim, and he's awesome in the scene when he make that umm.. bowl?? whatever it called =,=
- new music!!!
- creepy-cute Pride and Kimblee eyecatches,, nice, nice.
- Scar and the others! lol at ed
- waaa KIMBLEEEEE
- hmm cute remembrance of your mommy, pride smile.gif
- Extra ROYAI scene?? hahahha, I was screaming infront of laptop, "KISS HER, U FOOOOOOL" =__=
- GREAT!! ed and the insta-coat. for me it's not as good as the manga sad.gif
- Denny and his nephews? they're so cute!
- aaannndd the cliffhanger. grrr

GREAT EPISODE!! nice, nice.
Omni
Episode 49 Screencaps and Thoughts
Kaori Ayanami
Couldn't see this one through Keyhole. I'll have to wait for a fansub or at least some light raw to edit this message with my thoughts. ^^

Edit: Ah, the graveyard scene... It felt doubled, but on the other hand, something like that was needed (and would have been good in the manga, too). Maybe it should have been some reminiscing about Hughes... I don't know, something that Hawkeye was able to realize.
Good thing is... it adds up naturally on the following escalation in Royai, doesn't it? wink.gif

QUOTE (Omni @ Mar 21 2010, 02:32 AM) *

Omni! Welcome to these forums! Hehehe, t'was just a matter of time, it seems. biggrin.gif
(You could at least copy and paste your opinion from your blog though, otherwise your message looks kinda spammish, which is not, but then again... ^^U)
Qashqai
QUOTE (Vlyse @ Mar 21 2010, 09:28 AM) *
-No "A hero always waits until the last minute to save the day."? Hohenheim jokes RIP sad.gif

There was this scene. I know, I was making Polish subs and I'm sure I heard that line and Pride responding it. XDD

Cool episode. They've added some scenes... :F lol'd when one of those bums said something with Ling's voice. XD XD
deet-tastic
Haven't watched the ep yet, but took a peek at omni's screens.
I squeeled.
-Oh gaww the royai fan in me died of happy when I saw that extra scene. Bones totally ships them. hard.
-Yay Mrs. Bradley flashback! I'm glad bones kept it in biggrin.gif
-DENNY Oh my crap. I think it hit me hard right here how close to everything awesome we are.
-Ending with mustang in trouble.

Next episode...oh my crap. It's one of my fav. chapters. DONT MESS IT UP BONES!!
Vlyse
QUOTE (Qashqai @ Mar 21 2010, 06:54 AM) *
There was this scene. I know, I was making Polish subs and I'm sure I heard that line and Pride responding it. XDD

Oh ok, I thought I just missed it and I didn't see Ed's annoyed face either, so that's good, thanks. happy.gif
EveningAlchemist
New music FTW! laugh.gif It totally goes with Pride's utter creepiness. And Kimblee hums his own creepy tune amidst the blood he's spilled... *shiver*

The effect they used when Al woke was actually pretty spiffy. So was Hohenheim's transmutation! Al and Hoho make an excellent team. And is that more new music I hear? I must have died and went to FMA heaven... wub.gif

To make up for his lack of epic transmutation, Ed now must pose with the sunrise. Sticking the ending theme's guitar in there was great.

You know, I bet the sites of Ed, Al and Hohenheim's epic transmutations will be big tourist sites in Amestris' future. Just a spare thought...

An extra Royai scene will always earn Bones some extra points!

The epic conclusion continues...
deet-tastic
Okay, just watched the RAW
-recap..not necassary. But that's alright.
-Pride's animation is a bit different in this one. I don't like the dark circles around his eyes. But it does fit him.
-I really like how they had Alphonse waking up. That was a great effect.
-Dang, Lan Fan's arm is acting up really bad now. She was about to rape with those knives smile.gif
-Go Greed! He did like 4 back hand springs. Pretty awesome animation.
-Alphonse's running screaming attack reminds me of Sokka from Last Airbender.
Sokka: "SNEAK ATTAAAACK"
Aang: "Sokka, it's not much of a sneak attack if you run up screaming." (or something to that effect)

- Royai. Bones ships. I ship. We all ship.
-Ed makes putting on a jacket look awesome. I had to rewind and watch it again.
- scenes after the credits. wooo!! Denny!
-Mustang, blowing up random cars is his thing.
Irena
- This episode has some really nice animation. Pride's shadow-tentacles must be a pain in the butt to animate but they look good.
- Those slanty eyes make Pride look so evil. I love it. And I guess eating Gluttony made his eyes purple?
- Al regaining consciousness was pretty nifty.
- Was Kimbley humming, or was that just me? xD "Oh Stone, isn't it a lovely evening? TRA LALALALA."
- The added graveyard scene was interesting. Glad to see that Roy has been cured of his lumpy-head syndrome.

Wow, we're really getting towards the end here. Things are about to get crazy.
Hagaren_4ever
QUOTE (deet-tastic @ Mar 21 2010, 03:53 PM) *
Okay, just watched the RAW
-recap..not necassary. But that's alright.
-Pride's animation is a bit different in this one. I don't like the dark circles around his eyes. But it does fit him.
-I really like how they had Alphonse waking up. That was a great effect.
-Dang, Lan Fan's arm is acting up really bad now. She was about to rape with those knives smile.gif
-Go Greed! He did like 4 back hand springs. Pretty awesome animation.
-Alphonse's running screaming attack reminds me of Sokka from Last Airbender.
Sokka: "SNEAK ATTAAAACK"
Aang: "Sokka, it's not much of a sneak attack if you run up screaming." (or something to that effect)

- Royai. Bones ships. I ship. We all ship.
-Ed makes putting on a jacket look awesome. I had to rewind and watch it again.
- scenes after the credits. wooo!! Denny!
-Mustang, blowing up random cars is his thing.

I agree with you on every level! biggrin.gif Alphonse's run reminded me of Sokka as well, and I also had to rewind and watch him put on that jacket again. XD
Kasumisty
Oh yeah.

Edward. He takes putting the clothes on to a completely different level.

When it comes to episode, it was nice, had awesome animation and art-style and was sufficiently action-packed. I feel wrong for thinking Selim was hot from time to time in this one.

Hohenheim and his badassery, oh yes. One of the coolest FMA characters. And he is hot, too. There's seriously something wrong with me today I liked how angry he looked when telling to not mock his son.

I feel sympathetic towards Mrs. Bradley. She is so nice and gentle, didn't deserve all of this.

And oh my gawd, we are seriously that far into story. Cannot believe time passed so fast.
allykatty1
QUOTE (Kasumisty @ Mar 21 2010, 02:14 PM) *
Edward. He takes putting the clothes on to a completely different level.

I, too, found the putting on of the coat to be completely badass... yet at the same time I am just a teensy bit disappointed that we didn't get THIS exact shot:

http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/89/06/

*sigh* Oh well... happy.gif
Claudius
For once, I would like to have Roy have a Hughes moment without the Riza family butting in. Not every Roy scene has to be about you, Annie Oakley!
Wait a minute: how is Riza here? Oh, wait, of course: Bradley was supposed to be watching her. That explains things, considering the superb job he did holding Winry hostage.
deet-tastic
What do you mean "Bradley was supposed to be watching her"
Bradley asploded. He's out of the picture for a while. And he went to the East/North training without her anyways.

You guys; THIS SCENE http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/90/07/
was shown in the preview for next week.
That means we get Buccaneer next Sunday biggrin.gif WHOO-HOO!!
Claudius
QUOTE (deet-tastic @ Mar 21 2010, 06:00 PM) *
What do you mean "Bradley was supposed to be watching her"
Bradley asploded. He's out of the picture for a while. And he went to the East/North training without her anyways.
Well, wasn't the whole reason Riza became Bradley's secretary was so he could keep her under his watch to keep Roy obedient? That he went to the East/North without her says it plainly.
StormGoddess
Pride looks menacing in this episode. And when he got trapped with Al I thought he's gonna switch to his young voice.

QUOTE (Claudius @ Mar 21 2010, 05:55 PM) *
For once, I would like to have Roy have a Hughes moment without the Riza family butting in. Not every Roy scene has to be about you, Annie Oakley!
Wait a minute: how is Riza here? Oh, wait, of course: Bradley was supposed to be watching her. That explains things, considering the superb job he did holding Winry hostage.

Maybe Bones wants to emphasize the bond between Roy and Hughes, and Roy and Riza before the... well, we know what's coming up in the next few episodes.

As for Riza being in Central, I dunno. Maybe as the Fuehrer's secretary he left her with his paperwork. LOL.
Animeoldtimer
I really liked this episode. I liked how we got to see Hohenheim's alchemy in action! The conversation scenes were done well and I of course enjoyed the extra scene with Roy and Riza. I think it will help dramatize an upcoming scene even more.

It's funny in the scene in the manga with Denny I was confused at first. The way the chapter was done, I thought it was Ed(even though it made no sense to me) He really did look like Ed, but seeing it animated there is no confusion that it's Denny. tongue.gif Silly me!

My last comment is a bit off the wall, but I know there are a few fans here who also watch Doctor Who. Did anyone else think of Human Nature/Family of Blood when Pride was "sniffing?" laugh.gif
Twilight Warrior Alchemist
hmm....Selim/Pride continues to be creepy even now (like that's any surprise.)
but I was surprised how they went into his past a bit and explained that he found
human nature "fascinating", it really cemented the contrast how he and Al see the
world differently. I love that Al seems to come into his own in this episode aided by his father, and be trapped to stop one of the homunculi from fighting. I agree, I loved how Hoenhiem told Pride not to mock his son.

and I just got to say it, YEAH for the Kimblee cameo and eyecatcher. I have a feeling we'll be seeing him again soon within the next episode or two. I think a Pride/Al eyecatcher would have been more appropriate for this don't you think?
Vagrant
Has no one mentioned the topic title typo? (triple aliteration score!) It's Familial, anyway. Is Filial a thing?

Anyway, maybe this is just because I watched it in higher quality than usual, but aside from Pride looking kind of odd, was the show extra pretty this week?
The sudden sunrise at the end looked awesome as well.

Hohenheim is for el win. Al also rocks.

I had no recollection of the setup for Greed's actions in recent chapters, but that's cool in hindsight. (does make me wonder how Greed knows what Ling doesn't though)

I was a little annoyed at the post-credits cliffhanger, it messes with the pacing of the ep a bit but OMIGOD stuff is kicking off. Next episode HAS be freakin' awesome.

Aaand I haven't re-read the manga for comparison yet, so I'll probably be back with complaints.
Gukumatz
QUOTE (Vagrant @ Mar 22 2010, 02:08 AM) *
Has no one mentioned the topic title typo? (triple aliteration score!) It's Familial, anyway. Is Filial a thing?

It's not a typo. Filial is an adjective describing the type (and source) of the affection. It is affection from son to father or mother. It probably refers to Pride's unexpected affection for his mother.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/filial

I thought this episode was very pretty. I felt a little sad that the chimera were excluded from the planning (like in the manga, I know), but it seems it was their choice so that they could get a chance to talk.

Yay Ed dodging a tree trunk.

Everything is moving so fast! The promised day is starting already.
Vagrant
QUOTE (Gukumatz @ Mar 22 2010, 09:40 AM) *
wIt's not a typo. Filial is an adjective describing the type (and source) of the affection. It is affection from son to father or mother. It probably refers to Pride's unexpected affection for his mother.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/filial
Ah, fair enough.
I just went off Wikipedia which said it was familial in the title.
Hagaren_4ever
I just hope next episode they don't cut out this part: http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/90/18/ XD
Broken Chouchou
I don't get it, why do people think these past two episodes feel bloated? (Because I assume you mean dragged out and stretching of material by that? Trying to make too much out of too little...? Correct me if I'm wrong biggrin.gif)

This episodes pacing was yet again, just as last weeks, perfect for me. Don't have many comments aside from that to add, except that both animation and music were top quality (from what I could hear, I watched this episode in school, and afraid to get caught I had the volume turned down pretty significantly tongue.gif).
shanryelric
QUOTE (Hagaren_4ever @ Mar 22 2010, 06:05 PM) *
I just hope next episode they don't cut out this part: http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/90/18/ XD

oohh that's so true!!
still cannot wait for next week's ._.
deet-tastic
^ ditto.
I really hope they keep in that part. It would be awesome biggrin.gif
It's actually one of my favorite jokes. You see Scar standing off in the bushes. And Ed's face. Gotta love it smile.gif
SneakyRuler
- Ran Fan almost falling down the tree, nice reflexes

Anything Hohenheim did this episode was full of dignity and absolute win. When he just came forward to Pride, not looking at the shadows... awesome. He probably loves to provoke him for some reason. And at this point there was some new music which helped a lot. And Ed's expression looking at Hohenheim's alchemy laugh.gif (And Brotherhood gets plus points for putting these fires down)
Pride telling Al he loved Mrs. Bradley scared me, dunno why but tht kid is creepy.
Roy at Hughes grave was a nice touch but the security risk...
Kimblee walking through corpses was something I entirely forgot so the more I liked it when it came.
Loved braking of the dawn scene and (as everyone else) Ed putting his coat on.
Denny <3 A little disppointed he couldn't ride his bike but well...

As a whole, nicely done. Especially liked Al's VA this episode when Al talks to Ed. It's nice to know that even though epic things happen left and right there's still place for display of emotion. Guess that's it for Elric family reunion for some time.
Bag of Magic Food
QUOTE (Vagrant @ Mar 22 2010, 04:04 AM) *
I just went off Wikipedia which said it was familial in the title.

The fansub I watched called it "Familial Affection" too.
RoytheFlameAlchemist
Awesome episode, nice end for this arc and perfect start for the last one ending the episode with Ed putting his jacket and Shunkan Sentimental starting (thats some good thing Bones did with this show, ending selected episodes with ending music starting early).
Nice touch adding the grave scene , also great cliffhanger.

Lots of things happening in the next, i cant wait to watch this scene http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w93/sai...68621387254.png
Hell yeah!!!
shanryelric
^ *laugh*
is that the real translation? i don't remember reading those words .__.
Tombow
Since there seems to be some confusion on the title of this episode... tongue.gif

QUOTE (Gukumatz @ Mar 22 2010, 05:40 AM) *

It's not a typo. Filial is an adjective describing the type (and source) of the affection. It is affection from son to father or mother. It probably refers to Pride's unexpected affection for his mother.
Definition of "filial" according to Merriam-Webster dictionary

Yap, this is the correct episode title assigned to the official English subbed episode 49 on Funimation.com. biggrin.gif

Please remember that English episode titles on fansubs, and even Wiki articles for the titles for the future FMA:B episodes also, are all based on fan-transltions of the official Japanese episode titles, and although most of the time they are with correct translations, may still vary from the actual official English episode titles. ^^
Bag of Magic Food
I'm going to wait for the dub's title before I'm sure.
Vicious74
QUOTE (Hagaren_4ever @ Mar 22 2010, 11:05 AM) *

Oh they wouldn't dare...

...I hope.

Anyways, about this episode, I thought Pride's "HOHENHEEEEIM!" scream was extremely awesome. It's the first time we hear him raise his voice and boy did it sound cool.
deet-tastic
^ I got chills at that part. I don't know how many times I rewound it just to listen to him scream.
And it took me about 49 tries to get a screen cap.
Hagaren_4ever
QUOTE (shanryelric @ Mar 23 2010, 07:39 AM) *
^ *laugh*
is that the real translation? i don't remember reading those words .__.

LOL, no, but that would be awesome wouldn't it? XD

Naw, this is the actual page: http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/89/43/
Vlyse
^
I hope they use that page as the cliffhanger just so they can start the ED song early one more time before it goes away. I don't see any other final scene that'd work for it.

As for the "Hohenheim!" scream, yeah, I didn't think it'd be that awesome.
Bag of Magic Food
Does anyone else think it's a little ridiculous that the show has started placing two whole scenes after the end credits? I bet in another ten episodes we'll be seeing the credits right after the commercial break.
Flamez_Freak
maaaaan....Oshiru is easily one of the best animation directors in japan...he has already come out with animation masterpieces in the form of EPS 8,19,38 and now,,, he comes up with this.....top notch animation....cant say much about this episode , besides the fact that it was awesome.....loved every bit of it....

and i seriously dont have any problems with post credit scenes......like i saw sum 1 say earlier.....it gives us a good cliffhanger situation every time it happens...so i have no complaints.....
Billea_the_Turtle
-new music, FTW!
-Hoho was just absolutely brilliant this episode
-Pride had his voice raised, cool. Isn't that the first time we've heard his voice raised?
-Pride telling Al that he loved Mrs. Bradely was just creepy. It always seemed so un-Prideish to me. well it is probably supposed to be that way...
-I loved the scene when Ed was putting his coat on
-ooh next episode is going to be (or better be) awesome, brilliant, and every other good word that you use to describe something

In short awesome episode. Lovely animation, a good cliffhanger, and well everything was awesome. This episode ranks right up there with ep. 19 and ep. 26, IMO.

Michiyo-
Please add FMA:B English dubbed episode 49 (on CN on Adult Swim) talk-back/discussions here. smile.gif

FMA:B will air 1:00 AM - 1: 30 AM and 5:00 AM - 5:30 AM eastern time. smile.gif
Tombow
For those who missed this episode, it will be on again on Adult Swim (U.S.) tonight. smile.gif
Tombow
For those who missed this episode, it will be on again on Adult Swim (U.S.) tonight. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.