Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Episode 48: Oath In The Tunnel - Content Discussion Thread
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Anime
Chiyo
Talk-back/content discussion for English dubbed episode on Adult Swim starts on page 3. smile.gif

Please post the discussions on the content of episode 48 here.
This thread is declared as a Spoiler zone for the content of the first 48 episodes.

Please don't ask for links on where to watch this episode. Discussions on 'where to watch' belong in Where/How to Watch FMA Series 2. Don't post screencaps unless highlighting something important about the content of the episode. Just like on in most area's of the board, avoid one line posts or spam of any kind.

Screenshots: Please see Omni's Post

Full Screenshots: over at livejournal, provided by Moogledaime usually a couple days after episode has aired.

Summary: Ling and Ranfan team up to take on Gluttony, easily taking out several of his lives due to their ability to sense him, which Fu (who suddenly appears) explains to Edward. The lights in the slums begin to come back on, concerning Ed and Darius, and Ed comes up with a plan involving Fu. Heinkel continues to attack Selim, but doesn't make very much progress. Meanwhile, Roy meets with Madam Christmas and recieves confirmation that Selim isn't human. Villagers happen upon Heinkel and Selim and Selim scares them, causing one to drop a lantern. The fire allows Pride to use his abilities, but Edward saves him. In Central, soldiers try to get at Roy at Madam Christmas's bar, but he blows it up and the two escape in the sewers. Roy meets with Hawkeye, Breda, and Fuery in a hideout underground as they prepare to go into action, and he tells them not to die. Pride, unable to hurt Ed because of his use of carbon hardening on his automail, decides to use Alphonse to fight Ed, but Ed has Fu use a flashback which seperates Al long enough to be carried off. Gluttony races to meet with Pride, who he informs of the many lives he's lost. Pride takes this chance to devour Gluttony to gain his sense of smell in order to find his opponents in the dark. In Central, Father wonders what Roy plans to do next, and Olivier says that he will probably kidnap the Fuhrer's wife. Roy does just that. - written by penguintruth over at his blog.

Extra Note: Remember that this weekend see's Daylight Savings affecting viewing hours for some of you (U.S mostly this week) so please see Tombow's Thread for more information.
shanryelric
this episode is great for me. it's not so wow though... love when pride eat gluttony.. selim looks so sexy... o///O so many of his shots licking his lips and such made me go aarghhh. =__________=
and is that Roy kicking Mrs. Bradley's body guard's face. nice, nice.
can't wait for next episode!! ranfan looks incridible here, and also the part when al is falling. NICEE
Michiyo-
- Nice fight scenes at the beginning. Ran Fan is really good.
- Fuu is back too.
- Madame Christmas!
- Selim is a bit old for a child.
- Whatís that map AGAIN! Ah, Iím glad it disappeared.
- Roy-tachi!! <3
- Aww, Hayate is so cute.
- And finally the underground oath.
- Ed is acting cool.
- Poor Gluttony got eaten.
- Itís ending already? Oh, more scenes after the ending!
- Wow, they extended the scene when Roy-tachi kidnapped Mrs. Bradley. Roy and Riza are awesome. biggrin.gif
Keyhole was lagging really badly this week, so I canít wait to watch it again in a better quality. (EDIT: Found a good raw. smile.gif)
Levive
- We start off with Ran Fan kicking Gluttony's arse once more. And she's awesome!
- Mizuki-san! How nice to hear you after 17 episodes or so!
- The animation is awesome - tag-team Ling and Ran Fan is indeed invincible.
- Ahaha, the part when Edo was blown up by a grenade was superb. I don't recall this from the manga, but still!
- And here goes Central again.
- Madame Christmas!
- KE?! What's this weird map and sound and... don't tell me this will last the whole episode! NOT AGAIN!
- Oh, it disappeared. Thanks God. Just in time for the awesome explosion.
- Is it new music or do I mishear?
- COOL RAN FAN EYECATCH!
- And Gluttony finally got one! I think it's his first one.
- Wow, it's all about new music... I love how it fits the "just don't die" scene.
- Ed vs. Pride fight! The animation really has gotten better.
- WOW.. JUST WOW... THE FLASHBANG SCENE IS.... MY GOD... BEAUTIFUL!
- Poor Gluttony... Really, I do feel sorry for him. Selim, you meanie!
- And we end up with Hohenheim.
- Oh wait, we end up with the Mustang Team kidnapping Mrs. Bradley.
- Oh God, the old music returned to the previews. But still, the preview is awesome.

Wow, the episodes lately are getting more and more interesting... the current fight is just awesome - I love the quality and animation. I think the whole Pride fight is my favourite arc so far.
black~hayate
-I laughed so hard when we got an Roy x Some map, that was a surprise!
Ranfan, honestly, she now seems like a sadist or something to me. She likes when others suffer. Poor Gluttony. And then the poor guy got eaten! *shakes head*
-For me, music didn't fit at some spots. But sometimes it was great.
-And Keyhole sucked today. I missed the spot where Hayate becomes 2nd lieutenant, Keyhole wouldn't show me anything.
-I liked that effect, when Al's armor stepped on the floor and underneath his boots shadow hands rose... looked kinda cool.
-Is it just my imagination or was Greedling totally useless today? He just screamed "Ranfaaaaan~<3" a few times and didn't fight at all.
-Kidnapping of WifeBradley was funny. Riza knows how to kick guys. Nobody can withstand her xD
penguintruth
My initial thoughts:

- Wow, Ranfan is just brutalizing that fatty.
- Oh, hey there, Fu. Nice for you to show up and STAND THERE, DOING NOTHING.
- Is it just me, or do some of these scenes seem a litle dragged out?
- Madame Christmas!
- WOAH, WOAH, WOAH, is this... another map?! Oh, there it goes. Okay.
- Dragging things out...
- Aaaaaand dragging things out more...
- What the eff is taking so long?!
- Gluttony ;_;
- I hate you SO MUCH, Pride. You little douchebag.
- Ah, Mrs. Bradley. You're just as much a prop here as in the first series.
- That's some pretty calm music for a next episode that has one of Hohenheim's best moments.

Bloated episode was bloated. Like Gluttony. (;_;)

How disappointing. But maybe the next episode will be better.
Omni
Episode 48 Screencaps and Thoughts

QUOTE (black~hayate @ Mar 14 2010, 04:32 AM) *
-Is it just my imagination or was Greedling totally useless today? He just screamed "Ranfaaaaan~<3" a few times and didn't fight at all.

He did some fighting in the beginning against Gluttony.
Jealous Rogo
Initial thoughts - this episode has material from just ONE chapter?!
When was the last time THAT happened?!
beastPlushi
I shouldn't feel bad for Gluttony, yet out of all the Homunculus, he was the lovable oaf.

I ended up putting together this little bit from the forest fight:

[It didn't turn out as well as I had hoped, night shots = grainy scenes *sigh*]
Hyperthia
Oh Gluttony! ;^;
He was the only homunculus that I found lovable...
Irena
- Gluttony getting owned by Lan Fan is always awesome.
- Ed gets blown up? HA.
- Fu's mustache makes me think of a fish. Don't know why.
- That look on Pride's face kind of made him look like some sort of evil mini-Mustang.
- Another Stray Dog cameo! I love how it keeps popping up.
- Is it just me, or do Ed and Mustang have lumpy heads? They seem to be drawn kinda weird.
- Aww, Hayate~ I wish they'd kept the joke about the dog outranking Fuery, but I guess that would ruin the "srsbznz" atmosphere.

This episode did feel pretty dragged out, but I can understand why - If they go too fast when Arakawa isn't finished yet, they'll run out of material!
KwiatekAlchemist
I think it's an awesome episode,
but it did drag on a little bit, I'm glad I'm not the only person who noticed that. o_o
Old man Fuu is back. (:
Ran Fan kicks arse <3
Poor Gluttony D: he got pwned badly.
Madame Christmas loool.
Pride is evil o_o
Omg Ed doing that thing with his finger, so hot *__*
though, him getting blown up made me laugh. xD
Hayate is cute haha ^^

deet-tastic
Freaking awesome episode was amazing.
Pride just became even more epic in my eyes. I mean, I knew this would happen. But seeing it animated. Oh GAWWW I loved it XD
And poor Gluttony sad.gif He was my favorite.

LanFan of epic win porportions. I loved watching her just Rape at the beginning. And the two eyecatches were pretty amazing.
I'll gather my thoughts later, but I wanted to come on here and share my impression smile.gif
Vlyse
I don't know if that was "dragging it out", but they really emphasized Gluttony getting trashed. It made me feel pretty bad for him seeing him helpless, especially when Pride ate him. I wonder if, with his intelligence, it were possible to pull him over to the good side. Just keep his hunger under control, of course. Anyway, awkwardly enough, I didn't hate Pride for it. I guess I was too annoyed at the repetition of Mortal Sin, though it did work under that scene.

I'm a little disappointed at how they rearranged the Mrs.Bradley kidnapping scene so that Father doesn't say anything after they kidnap her. And Sloth wasn't snoring.

But the animation was pretty good. Overall, the episode was much better than last week. I think next episode is done by episode 19/38's animation director.
FMAobsessed
Thanks Omni for the screencaps.

I really need to catch up on the series. But the screencaps look good.
I feel sorry for Gluttony.
Ranfan and her new automail arm kicks arse.
Hayate is a good 2nd Lieutentant
EveningAlchemist
And we start off with gushing blood. Looks like it's going to be an awesome episode! And sure enough, it kicks butt even if people say it's dragged out. I guess it just seems that way since the battles in FMA are usually short and sweet. *has flashbacks to DBZ*

Yes, Irena, Fuu's mustache looks like he snorted a fish! laugh.gif

Ed blowing up makes up for the lack of Fullmetal vs. Flame episode! Love the epicness of this episode too. LanFan's wicked ninja skills... Ed's heroic actions... Roy casually blowing up a bar... Pride being Pride... Love it!

And it only gets more exciting from here... wub.gif
AA battery
It's really sad to see Gluttony go ;___;
Pride is so ruthless...

Though it's nice that the anime has "slowed down". One chapter -> one episode? That sounds just about right! Keep that up animation team! XD

I think Takayama Minami should have dubbed for Pride instead of Envy...
shanryelric
QUOTE (AA battery @ Mar 15 2010, 03:51 PM) *
I think Takayama Minami should have dubbed for Pride instead of Envy...

i think pride's voice suit somehow.. it just has the "sense of pride" in the voice biggrin.gif i llooove it, selim as pride is freaking hottt (yes yes yes, shotacon mode =_________=)
Chiyo
Disasterpiece - please don't spam by asking such things, you just have to check your usual sites for them to update with the subtitled version.

Shall fill in with my thoughts in a little while, only just watched 47 stitchface.png

- animation already clearly better than last weeks, which I think is important with battle scenes, especially at the speed RanFan works at.

- Team Edward's blasting off again! (oh he is looking so good)

- Madam Christmas is such a gangsta moll, love her.

- Evil grin is most evil, blood galore! And oh no, fire, run Simba!

- Goodness, even I pity Gluttony.
Tombow
<Program Note>

@Disasterpiece - I moved your "Any subs?" post to where to watch FMA Brotherhood episode thread. smile.gif

Everyone, since this thread is for content discussion for ep 47, please try to avoid crowding this thread with "where is the sub?" posts. biggrin.gif
Mr. Deathy
I think the whole reason this episode was "dragged out" (aka simply slightly slower paced!) is that they didn't want Gluttony's end to feel too abrupt.

Here's a homonculus that's been around since the beginning of the series, was only just reintroduced after 20 episods out of action...and is being offed already.

Even if it was (sadly for him) almost nothing but him getting a beating, I think they at least wanted to give him plenty of time in the episode before he was finished off.
Disasterpiece
Good episode. Loved the fight sequence with Gluttony.

But why the damn map >_< i know it showed up for a few moments, but why in the middle of the screen >_< why not just put it in a corner
IceSkadi
Nice episode. It was slow paced but not too much dragged out in my opinion.

I loved the whole Pride vs Ed fight sequence and the new music at the beginning. Poor Gluttony he is one of my favorite homunculus alongside Envy, it's a pity that he had to go in a such cruel way. However it was a good reason to see Pride in all his evilness.

I'm glad that thy didn't change the conversation between Roy and Madame Christmas, it was one of my favorite part in the manga.
Vagrant
Some bizarre changes from the manga.

[/superinformativepost]
Jealous Rogo
QUOTE (Vagrant @ Mar 16 2010, 03:17 AM) *
Some bizarre changes from the manga.

[/superinformativepost]

Only changes I noted were extending Gluttony's fight, removing the fourth man from teh team of people investigating Madam Christmas, making it seem like Mustang and Madam Christmas DIDN'T kill those men (which will make more sense in reflection later on) and making it clearer how Gluttony was anywhere near Pride when the flashbangs went off. None of these changes seemed bizaare to me. Actually the stuff with Gluttony especially worked really well.

I liked the music playing while Lan Fan and Ling beat up on Gluttony, it sounded more like music you'd expect to here while the Homunculus were beating up on the good guys, not while the good guys are beating up on the Homunculus. Kinda made you feel even more sorry for poor old Gluttony. I will question one thing tho; Gluttony jumping to his feet like that, was hilarious and impossible to my eyes. Funny tho.

I'm kinda dissapointed that Pride didn't switch to his Selim voice while taunting Ed, cause that's how it came across to me in the manga. But I can't complain too much because every scene Pride was in was solid gold awesome. I'm bias obviously, just look at my avatar, but Pride really came off as creepy and menacing this week, far more than he did last week. It was nice to see him in action properly as well, I especially like how little Pride talks compared to his siblings. Seriously compare Pride's fight to against Greed, Lust, Envy or even Wrath. Those four spend almost as much time talking as they do fighting, ESPECIALLY Envy. Pride, just says what's needed and gets on with it. I guess it's a way for showing how little Pride thinks of his enemies.

But of course I have give my judgement on my number one favourite moment in the entire series; Pride kills Gluttony. And my verdict? WOW. I didn't think they could make that scene any more harsh than it was in the Manga but they seriously managed. They made it more drawn out and alot more brutal. I have to admit I was never a fan of the Brotherhhod Gluttony voice but it has definately grown on me. I'm not 100% sure that the original actor could've given a performance that good. The main reason I like it is just how innocent and confused Gluttony is right up to the moment he's killed, he really doesn't understand what's going on until it's too late. He's so trusting, and this along with his love of Lust and the scenes he had with Al previously, make you wonder if the guy was ever truly evil, or just very very devoted to his family, which ultimately betrayed him.

It also says alot about Pride, the other Homunculus have demonstrated some kind of familiar love for each other (Envy and Gluttony's reactions to Lust's death being a prime example, even Wrath seemed to respect her) but Pride, you really get the feeling he sees all of them beside his Father as below him sometimes. It's what makes him such a great lil' badass.

Oh and Mustang did some stuff but I'm not fussed.

Next week: Okay next week will be more of the awesome Pride battle, but I've also got a suspicion... that it'll be another one Chapter episode. Not gonna complain, just means more Pride biggrin.gif
Broken Chouchou
Didn't notice that it dragged things out at all. The pace and content was perfect, for me; it didn't rush through things, and it managed to keep me excited, it never felt slow or boring.

The music was very neatly placed throuhout the episode, except for during the after-credits scene. That track is not one of my favourites, and they always keep looping it whenever it plays. Also, the animation here wasn't the best. Rest of the episode looked pretty good most of the time though, but, did anyone else find Mustang looking a bit off this week? I don't know what it was, maybe he had a bad hair day or something.
Hillary
Something I noticed: Why did Roy change back into a military uniform to kidnap Mrs Bradley? Aren't they all kind of supposed to be rebelling or something?
deet-tastic
^ well, I know he is wearing them on the Promised Day.
But it is a bit confusing I suppose.
I'm not going to complain though smile.gif

I loved Mustang and Hawkeye taking down Mrs. Bradleys guards though.
I just wish the camera angle had been better.
Fiddledee
I rather enjoyed this episode. It seemed to have everything in even amounts and was very exciting.

Something I noticed: Why did Roy change back into a military uniform to kidnap Mrs Bradley? Aren't they all kind of supposed to be rebelling or something?

Perhaps so she could recognize him better? Or perhaps he was thinking "screw it, I want them to know I'm doing this to make a point." I dunno really...haha.

Hi everyone btw, first post after lurking for quite some time, lol.
Irena
QUOTE (Hillary @ Mar 16 2010, 12:39 PM) *

I always thought it was because his uniform is easier to move around in/more comfortable than if he were wearing his civilian clothes.

Or maybe Arakawa just threw it on him because she's drawn the dang thing so many times she could probably do it in her sleep. xD
Mistress of Misery
I have pretty much one thing to say: Pride MADE this episode. I liked him in the manga, but he was just amazing this ep. SO cold, so brutal, and I love that in him. Especially his voice.

Also, HI THERE ROY-TACHI!
Jealous Rogo
QUOTE (Hillary @ Mar 16 2010, 12:39 PM) *

I'd always assumed it was because he's hoping to become head of the country from the coup, and that he coudln't do that if he deserted like the rest of his men. Most of teh people of Amteris know and recognise and turst the military, so if he just abandoned it altogether and threw it aside, then the general public may not trust him as much. I dunno, I assumed there was a reason like this behind it.

That and it looks badass.
Vicious74
QUOTE (Jealous Rogo @ Mar 16 2010, 04:18 PM) *
I'm kinda dissapointed that Pride didn't switch to his Selim voice while taunting Ed, cause that's how it came across to me in the manga.

Glad I wasn't the only one who thought this. I was sure he'd switch when taunting Ed and perhaps even when he went "Goodbye, Chimera-san."

But oh well, that's my only complaint because everything else with Pride was indeed done justice in this episode, and him eating Gluttony was even more disturbing than in the manga, which was awesome.

And the one chapter per episode pace didn't bother me at all. I actually wish they'd gone with it more often.
Billea_the_Turtle
-I didn't really notice the one chapter pacing. To me it made the episode better and we got more Pride.
-And we start off with some blood.
-Loved the music playing when Gluttony was getting beat up by RanFan and Ling. They need to play that music more often.
-Fuu's moustache does look he snorted a fish! Hehe.
-Pride is awesome during episode.
-LOL Ed getting pwned by Darius.
-Roy X map? That's... new. Anyways I'm just glad they didn't change the Madame Christmas scene. It was one of my favorite scenes in the manga.
-Ooh... Ed's looking good this episode. I mean everyone is animated well. That is always a plus.
-Mustang tachi!
-Why didn't Pride switch to his Selim voice when taunting Ed?
-Flashbang scene looked good.
-Oh my... Poor Gluttony! sad.gif You have to wonder whether he was really evil or just absolutely devoted to his family. He seemed so innocent (for a homunculus) when Pride gobbled him up. Gluttony was always one of my favorites and honestly, I'm sad to see him go.
-Hahaha. The "kidnapping" of Mrs. Bradley was funny.

This episode was awesome. This is now one of my favorites.

MsLinn
So...Ling punshed Gluttony so he bounced away like a rubberball...Wow. The man has muscles. (Wait!! He's only 15/16!!)
Hmm, the quality wasn't that good. I fully understand it can't be top notch all the time, though. Except close-ups on Ed, they're all badass...no, wait, apparently not. (But the last one in the preveiw *_* Pretty!) I think they went for the actionscenes instead, which I'm not overly enthustiastic about.
Oo, the eating made me slightly queezy.
But it was so short!! D:
Although I'm not into older guys, this episode served as a reminder to me that Mustang is, indeed, drop-dead sexy.
Can't wait for Al to do some stuff!

(Since I did not ONCE mention Pride in that short review, you may have guessed I'm not his greatest fan XD)
Kyelinn
QUOTE (theanimalmafia @ Mar 17 2010, 08:24 PM) *
-I didn't really notice the one chapter pacing. To me it made the episode better and we got more Pride.

I actually agree with this. It's like people are never satisfied. If the episode goes too fast, they complain. If they cut stuff out of the episode, they complain. Now for once they actually pace the episode properly and it's all one chapter filling an entire episode, for once it's not too fast and not much has been cut out, but they still complain. I don't get it. People need to stop contradicting themselves. I, for one, found the pacing of the episode just fine. It was an excellent one and it really showed just how devious and evil Pride really is. I also love his voice. It gives me the chills, it's so positively creepy. And of course RanFan!! Yay for RanFan! <333 She absolutely mutilated poor Gluttony there. I almost felt sorry for him.
Mr. Deathy
QUOTE (Kyelinn @ Mar 20 2010, 08:31 AM) *
QUOTE (theanimalmafia @ Mar 17 2010, 08:24 PM) *

I actually agree with this. It's like people are never satisfied. If the episode goes too fast, they complain. If they cut stuff out of the episode, they complain. Now for once they actually pace the episode properly and it's all one chapter filling an entire episode, for once it's not too fast and not much has been cut out, but they still complain. I don't get it. People need to stop contradicting themselves. I, for one, found the pacing of the episode just fine. It was an excellent one and it really showed just how devious and evil Pride really is. I also love his voice. It gives me the chills, it's so positively creepy. And of course RanFan!! Yay for RanFan! <333 She absolutely mutilated poor Gluttony there. I almost felt sorry for him.

This IS the pacing the show should've roughly been at since the beginning, yes, but the problem is just doing it randomly (during an action ep no less, where pacing is usually faster) throws people off and makes the episode feel slower.

The show's pacing is too inconsistent which is the only issue now with pacing. It's funny, early on they were covering weeks of story in FMA time in a few episodes, now it's going to be 15 odd episodes all occuring in the same 24 hour period.

No matter how good the series' finale is, its one biggest flaw will always be that the pacing is incredibly inconsistent.
Michiyo-
Please add FMA:B English dubbed episode 48 (on CN on Adult Swim) talk-back/discussions here. smile.gif

FMA:B will air 1:00 AM - 1: 30 AM and 5:00 AM - 5:30 AM eastern time. smile.gif
Tombow
For anyone who missed this episode, it will be aired again on Adult Swim (U.S.) this morning. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.