Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thread opening assistance for manga/anime series discussion threads
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Open Talk > Welcome New Member
Little Washu
Little Washu's Guide To Opening And Constructing A Proper Thread

For anyone who can use some assistance in opening a new thread and making a proper thread opening post, here are some of my pointers.

================

1. When you get some thread topic idea, before you open a thread, the first thing to do is to search in the area you'll be making a post in

~ You can do this by literally looking around in the forum and check all forum pages to see if we already have a thread with similar or same thread topic, or, you can use the Search function.

In the forum, the "forum search engine" would be located right under the last topic of the page, near the bottom, on the left side, and should say: "Enter Keywords."
(Or, for the board-wide Search function with more search options, go to the top right part of the page, and inside the Gray bar at the top, you will see the button for "Search" function.)

Let's say, as an example, I wanted to make a thread and talk about the anime 'Paranoia Agent'.
The first thing I should do is to SEARCH for existing thread. Therefore, I'd go into the anime section of our board, go into the search engine, and type in the key words 'Paranoia Agent'. (Note: Key word have to be 4 letters or longer.)

When you do this, you'll notice that more than one entry may come up in the result.
The one you're looking for is the topic of the anime in itself, such as this following one: Paranoia Agent: Talk Back And Discussion Thread

From this you can see there's already a topic for this, therefore, the proper thing to do here is to avoid making a 2nd thread, and instead just ADD your post with your opinion on the existing thread. :3

On our board, opening a duplicate thread is a BIG no-no. If you see there is already an existing thread with that discussion topic, please DO NOT OPEN any more threads with that topic, as this will only cause more trouble to the Mod and nothing good will come out of it. smile.gif

**One exception for this would be threads in our Roleplay Community forum. For thread opening guidelines for threads in Roleplay Community forum, please consult our Roleplay Community forum moderator.

===

2. Assuming there is no existing thread for your topic idea and hence you can open a thread with that topic idea, let's discuss about composing a good thread opening entry.

a.) First you need a good descriptive thread title.

For this, usually, simple and straight-forward descriptive one is the best and most effective, such as: The Last Anime You Watched

Or, you could add a little more creativity, such as: My Life As A Teenage Girl, "The Slice of Life" thread

NOTE: Please do not open a thread with non-descriptive thread title, such as "I just thought of this!", "Come take a look!", etc., as those are USELESS in describing what is the CONTENT of the thread, and therefore NOT ACCEPTED as thread titles on our board. smile.gif

---

b.) Next, you need to develop the thread opening post with SUFFICIENT INFORMATION on your thread topic.

Following is the general basic formula for standard thread opening post:

- A brief sum up info on the thread topic (be it anme series, band, game, etc.)
- And/or cited sources sum up, if applicable (please do NOT forget to cite the info source.)
[NOTE: Please do NOT automatically use exert from Wiki for this, as info on Wiki is NOT always correct.]
- Your opinion on the topic at hand
- Links, if any (such as official websites)
- You proposed structural directive for the thread, if any (i.e. how you want everyone to carry out the discussion on this thread)

The above is the list of basics, and although not every thread topic may require all of these to be present on your thread opening post, I think thread opening beginners can use the above list as a guide in constructing a good thread opening post.
Additionally, you may add more info to make your thread opening post more interesting, such as these following examples:
~ Here is my thread for the anime series, 'Axis Powers Hetalia', with extra info on characters and such:
Axis Powers Hetalia, Paaaassstttaaaa
~ And, here is another good example of an excellent thread opening post, created by Popogeejo: Let's Ride The Flying Pussyfoot

These thread opening posts have the basics, PLUS extra info to pique readers' interests, and IMO, these extra efforts make a big difference in creating a good thread opening post. But, it may not be easy in the beginning. At first, please aim to at least cover all the BASIC info and make sure they are included on your thread opening post. smile.gif

================

That's about all for now, I'll probably fix it up when the time comes ^^ New members, please try to use this as a means of assisting yourself to become more reliable members of our boards ^^
Popogeejo
My name is Popogeejo and I approve of this guide (and not just because I get used as examples.)

People: follow this advice, make threads about shows and series and bands and any other things you are enthusiastic about.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.