Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Episode 40: Dwarf In The Flask - Content Discussion Thread
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Anime
Tombow
Talk-back/content discussion for English dubbed episode on Adult Swim starts on page 2. smile.gif

Please post the discussions on the content of episode 40 here.
This thread is declared as a Spoiler zone for the content of the first 40 episodes.

REMINDER: For discussions on Japanese Voice Cast, such as, VA for Young Hohenheim, etc., please add your posts on..
FMA: Brotherhood Japanese Voice Cast Discussion thread.

Here is a general guide as to what post on VA here would be considered as "wrong thread" posting for this thread, and what is not:

* If you'd like to discuss your opinions on how some VA performed in THIS EPISODE, then this thread is an excellent place for that, IMO.

* Or, adding your casual comments on your general preference, etc on some Japanese VAs to your post here that already contains your discussion/comments on the content of episode 40, that much is also fine, IMO.

* But, if you'd like to go into more extensive discussions on your opinions on some particular Japanese VAs, etc., then please add such posts and comments to FMA: Brotherhood Japanese Voice Cast Discussion thread, and not on this thread.

* OR, if your post here is consisting solely of your comments on your general opinion on some Japanese VA (and not about how that VA performed on this episode) and your post is including nothing about the discussions on the actual content of episode 40, then please add your such post on FMA: Brotherhood Japanese Voice Cast Discussion thread, and NOT on this thread.

I'll be back later and fill out the rest of the first post. ^^
black~hayate
Hmm...
-Oh my god. What did happen to the "Fullmetal Alchemiiiiist!!!" guy??? Someone hit him?
-The code scene. Nice n' short. As short as possible
-Bradley plays Terminator now, too.
-YoungHoho with so many muscles... strange.
-"the little one inside the flask" is a funny name for the little black, evil one...
-Oh noes! Izumi is dead! Wait, she isn't?
Vlyse
This a great episode, just because of that new track at the end.

And something tells me there was a scene after the ending simply to include Ed in this episode. lol.
penguintruth
My initial thoughts:

- Guh, I have a feeling they're only going to give Hohenheim's story half of this episode
- I see they're including the Roy-Riza code scene.... oh wait, they cut it short! Do I feel good or bad about this? I don't know.
- Hm, actually, they're getting to Hohenheim's bit a lot sooner than I imagined...
- Young Hohenheim!
- Somehow I expected young Hohenheim to be played by Romi Paku and am now a little let down that it isn't.
- It's "Von" and not "Van", right? One is German and one isn't...
- Wait, they skipped Hohenheim teaching the other slaves to use alchemy. That's supposed to establish that Hohenheim has friends in the community, people he would miss if they should, I don't know, die horribly.
- Slave 23 title card, wooh!
- The Little One Inside The Flask title card, yeah!
- Somehow old people in Xerxes don't suffer from hair color fading at all. Nice.
- This transmutation scene would have been a great time for a wonderful NEW PIECE OF MUSIC, but I guess this one will do.
- See, this scene isn't as tragic when you never established his connection with any of these folks.
- I still think the two of them should have the same voice.
- Nice to see Izumi again.
- Oh, so NOW a new music track. Er, okay.
- Woah, an after-credit scene!

No huge complaints, I guess. It was neat seeing Xerxes in the show.

Next week's Ed's fight with Kimbley and his other chimeras! Looking forward to it.
Levive
- First of all, I liked this episode.
- They shortened the code scene, but that's good thing. We haven't missed anything either.
- Hoho's past was well-made. Here I was thinking that Truth's pretty scary, but this whole "a-guy-in-the-flask" is even scarier.
-
QUOTE (black~hayate @ Jan 17 2010, 01:24 AM) *
-Oh my god. What did happen to the "Fullmetal Alchemiiiiist!!!" guy??? Someone hit him?

^ That. No further comment needed. XD
- I liked young Hoho's VA.
- And, of course, they had to put in the scene aftter-credit. It's "fullmetal" alchemist after all, buah.
- It looks like next week's episode gonna be action-packed, at least I hope so. Looking forward to it.
- Oh, and there was a new track? Didn't notice it at all.
Michiyo-
Here are the screenshots:
http://randomc.animeblogger.net/2010/01/17...brotherhood-40/
Qashqai
They shortened code scene, but I like it better that way. Also, they changed flashbacks a little... but the dialogs are basically the same XD got to see more young!Hoho and is very happy about that. <3

Ah, anyway. Van, not Von (btw, "von" is German, but... is isn't a name, right? It's part of surname... right?). In manga there are names written in romaji in the list of characters in every volume. It was written there in one volume, "Van Hohenheim".

OT: My opinion on young Hohenheim's VA (Reminder: Please use FMA: Brotherhood Japanese Voice Cast Discussion thread. Thank you! ^^ ~ Board Staff)
Yay for Namikawa as young!Hoho. I lately watched Kimi ni Todoke and kinda lol'd when thought about Kazegaya when listening to Hoho. XD I kinda hoped that Fukuyama Jun will voice him, but Daisuke Namikawa sounds cool too (besides, I was very afraid that they could make Romi Paku voice him... this voice wouldn't fit at all but I can totally see them doing that). xD @amestris_star, yeah, he voices Italy (and South Italy) in Hetalia, too ^^
Kasumisty
"Van" is a Danish equivalent of the German "von". I haven't seen the episode yet, too much to study for now. But will later that day.
Broken Chouchou
I think Hohenheim's voice really suited him. The Xerxes flashback could very well have been longer, if you ask me. I really liked this part, and I definitely wouldn't have minded a full ep dedicated to it tongue.gif What is beyond me though is how they put the new music piece, which would really have gone well with the transmutation scene, towards the end. More thoughts after having watched subs.
Tombow
<REMINDER>

For discussions on Japanese Voice Cast, like, VA for Young Hohenheim, etc., please add your posts on..
FMA: Brotherhood Japanese Voice Cast Discussion thread.

Here is a general guide as to what post on VA here would be considered as "wrong-thread" posting for this thread, and what is not:

* If you'd like to discuss your opinions on how some VA performed in THIS EPISODE, then this thread is an excellent place for that, IMO.

* Or, adding your casual comments on your general preference, etc on some Japanese VAs to your post here that already contains your discussion/comments on the content of episode 40, that much is also fine, IMO.

* But, if you'd like to go into more extensive discussions on your opinions on some particular Japanese VAs, etc., then please add such posts and comments to FMA: Brotherhood Japanese Voice Cast Discussion thread, and not on this thread.

* OR, if your post here is consisting solely of your comments on your general opinion on some Japanese VA (and not about how that VA performed on this episode) and your post is including nothing about the discussions on the actual content of episode 40, then please add your such post on FMA: Brotherhood Japanese Voice Cast Discussion thread, and NOT on this thread.

Thank you!! smile.gif

---------------------------

QUOTE (rzerox21xx @ Jan 17 2010, 06:29 AM) *
They got Daisuke Namikawa to voice young hohoenheim who famous for voicing Bleach's Ulquiorra, Fullmetal Panic's Leonard Testarossa, Gundam 00 Micheal Trinity(another gundam 00 cast joins the FMAB list lol), Tsubasa Chronicles's Fay and Black Lagoon's Rock.

thats sweet.

@rzerox21xx and others who's posts on this thread that are solely discussing about the Japanese VAs and nothing else about the content of episode 40, I moved your posts to FMA: Brotherhood Japanese Voice Cast Discussion thread. Please continue your discussions on the young Hohenheim's VA and other Japanese VAs on that thread. smile.gif

---------------------------

~ Thank you, and now please go back to discussions on the content of this episode. biggrin.gif
Alphonsefan27
Over all liked this episode. its great to see young Hohenheim in full color, along with the rest of Xerxes citizens. I can't help but grin happily at this whole episode, and knowing what will happen in the next episode, I have to prepare my self. (yay for vol.19!) happy.gif
EveningAlchemist
The new OP really gets me excited now... <3

I agree with some of the people here that cutting the Royai code scene made sense. It connected the two events together more, but at the same time not dragging it on. Clever. Plus I'm just glad Riza's looking pretty now.

Wow, homunculus' voice was pretty neato. Reminds me of how a crow would sound if they could talk. Both old and childish. Young Hoho's voice was suiting too. That's nice that they gave him someone new, since he is a bit older than Edward in the flashback. Young Hoho was a handsome guy... we can now look forward to Edward finishing puberty. That's it, this episode officially makes Hohenheim awesome. Actually this episode was awesome, and the ED with the after-credits scene was just the cherry on top.

The flashback itself was amazing, and I felt like I was being taken to an ancient and mystical world (I guess I really was though). Finally the origin of homunculus is explained the way it was supposed to be and in entirely epic form. Dang that was intense! Am I the only one who found that the wiping out of Xerxes to be just as mind-blowing as the Ishbal extermination? (If not even more so)

And then Hohenheim pulls that crazy stunt with Izumi! He was creepy but calm, even as Sig slugged him. (that must have hurt so bad) I agree with some people that the new music piece would have been great in the Xerxes flashback, but it was still perfect in this scene.

On a side note, it seems to be that kind of blond is a trait of people from Cselkcess, which really sets Ed and Al apart. They're like an extinct race or something! crying_anim02.gif

allykatty1
QUOTE (EveningAlchemist @ Jan 17 2010, 02:13 PM) *
On a side note, it seems to be that kind of blond is a trait of people from Cselkcess, which really sets Ed and Al apart. They're like an extinct race or something! crying_anim02.gif

I know, isn't that a GREAT little subtle reveal? I had noticed that a while back (I think I saw a blurb online somewhere, maybe TV Tropes.com, noting that people from Cselkcess/Xerxes all had gold hair and eyes), so yeah, it kind of makes me you even sorrier for the two of them huh? wink.gif Not that they ever really knew what they were missing... and of course, that still only makes Ed and Al half-Cselkcessian(?), but they definitely got the physical features.

I think odds are whenever Arakawa originally designed the characters she hadn't thought of that idea yet and only drew them with gold eyes for fun, but boy, what a nice touch! I always thought one of the things which set FMA apart was how relatively realistic it was, natural hair and eye colors included. Aside from Ed and Al's gold eyes, the Ishbalan people were the only other human characters with eye colors we don't see in the "real" world (Rose doesn't count - I think we can all assume she dyes her bangs pink).

Hey, you know what, though? While I've known about the gold-eye trait for a while, something else just occurred to me that I hadn't really thought about before. Ed was uncomfortable enough using Envy's Stone to escape Gluttony's stomach, but can you imagine what he would think if he knew that a lot of those soul were likely the souls of his direct blood relations (grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins maybe) and ancestors on his father's side?

On the other hand, it kind of makes you think of the Xerxes annihilation in yet another way as well: if Cselkcess/Xerxes hadn't been destroyed, Ed and Al likely would never have been born to begin with. Hohenheim would have lived out his life in his original country hundreds of years ago and died a normal man. He might have had kids at some point, but they wouldn't have been Ed and Al, since he would never have met Trisha.

Messes with your mind, huh? biggrin.gif
rzerox21xx
I know, isn't that a GREAT little subtle reveal? I had noticed that a while back (I think I saw a blurb online somewhere, maybe TV Tropes.com, noting that people from Cselkcess/Xerxes all had gold hair and eyes), so yeah, it kind of makes me you even sorrier for the two of them huh? wink.gif Not that they ever really knew what they were missing... and of course, that still only makes Ed and Al half-Cselkcessian(?), but they definitely got the physical features.

I think odds are whenever Arakawa originally designed the characters she hadn't thought of that idea yet and only drew them with gold eyes for fun, but boy, what a nice touch! I always thought one of the things which set FMA apart was how relatively realistic it was, natural hair and eye colors included. Aside from Ed and Al's gold eyes, the Ishbalan people were the only other human characters with eye colors we don't see in the "real" world (Rose doesn't count - I think we can all assume she dyes her bangs pink).

actually Liore in the manga and brotherhood took place in a different location that is not a desert-like environment and brotherhood corrected Rose in having pale skin and redish hair and black hair.

allykatty1
QUOTE (rzerox21xx @ Jan 17 2010, 04:19 PM) *
actually Liore in the manga and brotherhood took place in a different location that is not a desert-like environment and brotherhood corrected Rose in having pale skin and redish hair and black hair.

Pink, dark pink/reddish; either way, her bangs are a different color from the rest of her hair, so I think it's pretty safe to assume they're dyed. smile.gif
Bag of Magic Food
So the big bad was really Dark Matter from the Kirby games all along! He needs to get out of Hoho's body and have some yellow stars spat at him.

QUOTE (penguintruth @ Jan 17 2010, 02:29 AM) *
Wait, they skipped Hohenheim teaching the other slaves to use alchemy. That's supposed to establish that Hohenheim has friends in the community, people he would miss if they should, I don't know, die horribly.

See, this scene isn't as tragic when you never established his connection with any of these folks.

"Hey, so-and-so! And what's-your-face! And all the other guys I mention when I rip my chest open in the distant future! You can stop playing dead now!"
sidekick.kep37
Ep was cool. Xerxes scene was especially awesome, for me. Anyways, in list format, my thoughts:

-I don't know why, but Olivier is making me mad for some reason. I really have no idea why.
-Bradley really needs to chill. He normally doesn't freak me out, but he did in this ep. In one shot, however, his face kinda looked distorted, but that could be just me and it's not a big deal or anything
-Love the Briggs soldiers- they've got some real morale in them.
-Hey, look the code scene was cut short. But it actually worked for cutting it. And Riza's starting to look like herself! biggrin.gif Roy's "WTFOMGBBQ" face was great.
- HomunculusFlaskBlob's's voice is pretty cool. So's Young!Hoho's. Hah, he's "stupid" like Ed's short. Figures, XP.
- Does anyone else see the whole Adam-and-Eve-being-tempted-by-Satan-to-gain-knowledge allusion here?
- Whoa, it's the intro track from the first season of FMA:B. Never thought I'd hear that again. I even thought the guy who did the whole "equivalent exchange" intro would say something for a sec. tongue.gif
- Dang, they didn't do the scene with Hoho teaching his friends. I agree with what penguintruth says, basically. Haha.
-The village murder in the manga made me sad, but the way the animated it didn't make me reall feel anything at all... not that that scene was insanely important or anything.
-I also agree with penguintruth about old people not having their hair color fade out...
-Dramatic music is kinda cool during the transmutation.
-Hey it's Izumi and Sig! Nice track going on there. In fact, I didn't even notice it was there until I watched it a second time. Now I'm thinking this track would've gone great with the Xerxes-goes-bye-bye scene.
-Hoho Falcon-kicks... Ow. Sig Falcon-kicks.. More ow. lol, Hoho's like "Whatev!"
-Ran.dom Ed scene weirded me.
-Whoa, Ed's fight where he, uh.... fights is next week. Can't wait for that.

Overal,, cool ep. 8 out of 10, since I found the animation choppy in some spots and although I'm happy with the new track, I'd still like it if they could do something more regarding their music...
Jealous Rogo
Just saw the episode subbed and I have to say I really enjoyed this episode, I think it did a lot of things right, made small improvements on the original material and overall did a good job. That's not say there weren't any flaws but they were so relatively minor to me that I won't beat BONES up over them too much.

The scenes with Olivier and Mustang were nice, as was the scene with Olivier and Wrath. They were just solid, well adapated scenes that I don't really have a lot to say about. I do have soemthing to say about the Hawkeye and Mustang diner scene and that is 'THANK GOD THEY TRIMMED IT DOWN'. Yeah it was really clever in the Manga how the story Hawkeye spins is actually code but I was not looking forward to sitting through that story in Brotherhood and I think cutting majority of it was the best choice for the Anime. What works in the Manga doesn't always work in Anime and that was something that was never going to work, so good job on cutting it BONES.

Then you go and cut Pride and Greed's little exchange. I know, I know, it's not important but I kinda wanted to see it for two reasons; Greed's 'two rare sights' line makes me chuckle and b. I wanted to see more Pride darn it! I liked the voices for both Hohenheim and 'the little on in the flask' (if that's his official name, which the eyecatch suggested) even if the latter did sound a bit like the voice for Father holding his nose and the pitch pushed up a little. It made him a little less threatening, and you could see how Hohenheim could've seen him as not a threat and maybe even a friend.

I've seen a few people complain about Hohenheim having his interaction with other slaves cut out, and while I sort of agree with where you're coming from, I don't think it was that big a deal. It didn't really change the believability of his reaction when tits went skyward, if anything the way they've doen it in Brotherhood has made me think of his Master a little more favourably. His master never really showed any respect or liking towards Hohenheim in the Manga, so I kinda like that they altered him a little. I think. Maybe.

Wow Hohenheim's scream felt agonised, I really loved that part in the Manga and I loved it here as well. And oh hello Izumi, it's nice of you to appear! What's this the first time we've seen you since what, episode 14? Not counting flashbacks and imagination sequences. I think it's funny to compare her role in this to the first series, she was featured waaaaaaaaaay more.

Now for my favourite moment in this episode and where I feel the anime outdid the manga. When Hohenheim stabs Izumi. The music, the mood, everything about the way it's handled is brilliant. In the manga it was shocking, yeah, but here you really get the feeling that, up until the reveal, Hohenheim has just turned on Izumi. Remember we were still unclear on Hohenheim's alignment at this point, and it completely comes out of now where. It was really, really well handled, and they ended it on a perfect note with Hohenheim's 'I'm a philosphers stone' line.

...until after the credits where they tacked on Ed's 'I don't wanna see no big stone' speech. Eh... why? This is probably the biggest letdown because they just took a chunk of a bigger discussion about tactics against Kimblee and stuck it on the end. It would've been perfectly acceptable to have it at the beginning of next week's ep where it should be... so I question that. Also I noticed they changed it so Miles was the one who commented on the size, not a curious Briggs soldier. That makes sense to me (less actors to pay)

This episode and these chapters in the Manga start the beginning of the epic for me. I recently bought volumes 19 to 21 and afetr reading them again, I was so overjoyed at not only how awesome they are, but that the anime has finally hit them. These are probably some of my favourite moments in the series coming up, and next week definately contains some of the more awesome.

Bring on Darius and Heinkel!
Bag of Magic Food
QUOTE (Jealous Rogo @ Jan 18 2010, 05:23 AM) *
Then you go and cut Pride and Greed's little exchange. I know, I know, it's not important but I kinda wanted to see it for two reasons; Greed's 'two rare sights' line makes me chuckle and b. I wanted to see more Pride darn it!

And I wanted to see more Greed! Everyone's going to forget he even exists by now.
Radadinator
QUOTE (Jealous Rogo @ Jan 18 2010, 05:23 AM) *
Then you go and cut Pride and Greed's little exchange. I know, I know, it's not important but I kinda wanted to see it for two reasons; Greed's 'two rare sights' line makes me chuckle and b. I wanted to see more Pride darn it!

I kinda wanted to see Pride in a tux (it's a wise choice that Arakawa made to not dress him in leather like his bros). But I don't really care much.

Anyways, the episode was pretty great, the highlights being the Xerxes flashback and the Izumi Hohenheim meeting. Thought I wonder how exactly Homunculus was created in the first place, but I guess it will never go into details about that. (Or maybe it will. And it will crap on the fandom's theories. Again.)

Funny that Theo...something Bombastus van (von?) Hohenheim was a real alchemist who lived in a place called Risembool.

Can't wait for the upcoming fights! Especially the one that involves Pride.
fmadiva
That episode made me fall in love with Fullmetal Alchemist all over again. I now understand a whole lot more. The way Hohenheim's past was explained and the origin of the first homuculus was so well put together. Hohenheim's voice actor and the homunculus's voice actors were great(especially hohenheim's). The Roy and Riza code part was cool to biggrin.gif

and I never though I'd ever say this but Hohenheim is gorgeous o_o (I hope Ed lives up to Hohenheim's looks)
hawkflame
Mildly disappointed with this ep- the after credits scene really was not that important for this episode, and that time would have been better spent on the Mustang/Hawkeye code sequence. And xerxes really seemed kind of rushed through- I wish they took more time establishing what Xerxes was like before the destruction.
Winry Chi
I liked the EP.. however alot of it felt rushed.. I sort of wish they had spent more time on the development of Number 23's life, how he taught people alchemy, etc. I agree with those who have posted about it having less of a dramatic impact with the hole left by not including his interactions with the citizens of Xerxes prior to their death. However, the expressions Hoenheim went through in his "grief and shock" were not too bad..

But I was a bit bummed to not see Young!Number 23 as long as in the manga, perhaps BONES will later throw in another flashback to give more background on him?
Michiyo-
Please add FMA:B English dubbed episode 40 (on CN on Adult Swim) talk-back/discussions here. smile.gif

FMA:B will air 1:00 AM - 1: 30 AM and 5:00 AM - 5:30 AM eastern time. smile.gif
AXavierB
Flask!Father sounded like Zim.

Was nice hearing Aaron again. I know he must have been excited to take part in the series even though he couldn't be Al. Too bad young Hohenheim is only in this one episode.
Tombow
For anyone who missed this episode, it is on again on Adult Swim (U.S.). smile.gif
Tombow
For anyone who missed this episode, it is on again on Adult Swim (U.S.). smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.