Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Episode 37: The First Homunculus - Content Discussion Thread
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Anime
Pages: 1, 2
Tombow
Talk-back/content discussion for English dubbed episode on Adult Swim starts on page 4. smile.gif

Please post the discussions on the content of episode 37 here.
This thread is declared as a Spoiler zone for the content of the first 37 episodes.

I'll be back later and fill out the rest of the first post. ^^
penguintruth
My initial thoughts:

- Heh, they showed the bit with Kimbley talking politely to Winry about her parents
- ED-VISION FEATURING RIZA HAWKEYE
- Wacky hijinks... that's what we need now. Wooh.
- Olivier's "abandon me" speech made it! All right!
- I like the way Pride is moving around
- Woah, they're not getting the the reveal already, are they? NO, NOT THIS SOON!
- OH SHI-
- Ehhh, it's not as good as in the manga. And Riza's crappy voice actress didn't help.
- With all the time spent in a prison cell in this show, they should just change the name to Fullmetal Bars.
- Wah, wah, wah. Shut the eff up, Winry.
- Akira Senju. Akira Senju, you're killing me. You're killing me, Akira Senju. Compose new music.

Underwhelming episode was underwhelming. Shonen Gangan commercial with Bradley voice over was pretty neat, though.
black~hayate
What I think about it?
-The "what comes next episode" was... really strange...
-Kimblee, I love you, BUT you look creepy when you try to be nice and you talk way too much.
-Huh? Flower episode part 2? I hope it will be next episode.

-This time I liked the quality. Keyhole was stupid, but it still looked awesome. Like at the beginning when they showed Briggs' guys.
-The music was nice, but at the end, there was that old track when Ed and Winry were quarreling
-Winry gets nice moments. I know now why the ending contains so many Winry. Because there is many Winry in the episodes biggrin.gif
RoytheFlameAlchemist
I liked the episode.
Already knew they would introduce Pride in the middle so they could put an eyecatch for him, pretty neat btw. They should have kept the rounded eyes he had in the manga (and in the eyecatch) , it makes it creepier. Aside from that, pretty good.
Also liked Alphonse semi-closing his eyes to let Ed know he understood the plan.
Vlyse
Really looked forward to this episode and the Pride reveal...anddd it was okay.

No new music. Facial expressions looked bland. When Winry looked like she was about to cry, it looked like Ed didn't even care. (Not that I'm a big EdxWin fan.) And why was one of Pride's shadowy things on his face? That just looked...silly. Meh ending, also. 1.5 chapters and still cuts here and there, oh well, nothing important.

The chimeras next episode look impressive, though.
Michiyo-
Screenshots:
http://randomc.net/2009/12/20/fullmetal-al...brotherhood-37/
Chiyo
Can only go by screenshots currently, and even though I don't mind this sort of episode it will be anti-climactic considering what we have had and what is to come. The part where Riza gets the scratch on her face made me cringe in the manga. Speaking of Riza, one of the screenshots of her make her look different....again.
rzerox21xx
Great episode, nice use of environment and episode begining kept the nice edwin scenes especially the Riza and Hayate funny faces. Next episode is going to be great, the animation looks awesome from the preview, I wonder if Winry critics are going to bashed on her even after her awesome character moment when she confronts Scar which shows how her character really developed.

edit some grammar mistakes.
Vicious74
QUOTE (penguintruth @ Dec 20 2009, 08:28 AM) *
- Ehhh, it's not as good as in the manga. And Riza's crappy voice actress didn't help.

Underwhelming episode was underwhelming. Shonen Gangan commercial with Bradley voice over was pretty neat, though.

QUOTE (Vlyse @ Dec 20 2009, 08:57 AM) *
Facial expressions looked bland.

And why was one of Pride's shadowy things on his face? That just looked...silly.

Agreed with all of this. I had high expectations for this episode but it just failed to deliver.

All the facial expressions and the camera angles and the art were pretty poor during Riza and Selim's exchange, it just made the moment and the twist a lot less powerful than in the manga.

Same with Kimblee explaining his character to Ed. And of course it doesn't help that the animators can't draw Kimblee to save their lives. Especially his nose.

Also I'm not sure since it was a raw but I believe they skipped some good lines here and there. One of which I'm sure, which was Kimblee saying "I'm not a lolicon". That'll be missed.

And what was it with them having a shadowy hand appear behind Riza when she was talking with Mrs. Bradley? Lol way to give away the whole thing before the proper occasion.

So yeah, rather disappointing episode. Best part was easily the preview, which seems to have great animation.
hawkflame
I thought Pride reveal was appropriately creepy. I think it was -seeing- those little hands reach out and crawl up Hawkeye's body that sold the scene for me. Would have been better, though, if they strung the viewer along for a bit and moved the Pride reveal so it's broken up between the end of this episode and the beginning of the next. The scene's independent of the stuff at Briggs so moving it shouldn't affect things plot-wise, and it gives a nice cliffhanger ending.

I do wish they had at least toned down the Ed-loves-Winry freak out. It's funny in the manga, but I think that the abrupt shifts in tone work better in that format than when it's animated.

Wish they had kept the scene where Kimblee confronts Armstrong about releasing Ed and Al...
heartwing713
I'm only going off the screencaps, but I think this episode looks really good!

Except when Bones screws up the art. AGAIN. Don't get me wrong, I love Bones. I loved anime1, I love the manga, and I love Brotherhood. But I don't see why they can never draw Hawkeye! She's had good moments, but this episode was a huge opportunity for Bones's animators to really make her personality and expressions shine, and they didn't except for in one or two shots. I'm starting to think that maybe she's just really far down on the list as far as which characters have a lot of time spent on them. Ed and Al obviously have the best animation, and that's good because they're the main characters. Then we have Roy, who Bones has done really well with. He's had some moments that were just plain GORGEOUSLY drawn.
Now, in terms of character importance to the plot...Hawkeye should be next. So why does Bones seem to rush/skip so many of her scenes, and put so little effort into her art?

But on the bright side...Pride looked great! He creeped me out a lot, and his beautiful eyecatch is now my desktop background. biggrin.gif I can understand that Bones probably put a lot of effort into animating him this time around, and that's part of the reason Hawkeye got slighted. But it does seem that she gets slighted A LOT...

And for those of you who have read the manga, you know that Hawkeye takes a pretty central role toward the end. I really hope Bones learns to draw her by then, or else we'll be dealing with 15 or more minutes of asymmetrical, awkward mouth Riza each episode.
Anomia Grey
'I am not a lolicon'? I don't remember that one, might have been different in the scanlation I read (all I can remember is 'i am not a homonculus'). I don't know Japanese so I can't really tell yet, but I remember Kimbley's lines in that discussion were some of the most chilling ones in the manga, and I'll be extremely dissapointed if they slaughtered it.

I enjoyed Winry automail nerding around, and Ed's freak out was indeed a bit over the top but nonetheless quite funny.
Mr. Deathy
Uggh I'm only halfway through the ep but what a damn disappointment for the Pride reveal

The only thing that stopped it being a complete failure is that the material was so good but it doesn't feel like they could've spoiled it more. Poorly paced with no suspense, no new music and the actual "original/first homonculus" frame was HORRIBLE looking. The manga panel is fantastic. They tried to do their own thing with it instead and it looked like crap.

Really disheartened by that. I always thought they'd really play up the Pride reveal since they've had extra Selim scenes in the series but it was skimmed past like nothing important!
KEKU
QUOTE (Anomia Grey @ Dec 20 2009, 01:07 PM) *
'I am not a lolicon'? I don't remember that one, might have been different in the scanlation I read (all I can remember is 'i am not a homonculus'). I don't know Japanese so I can't really tell yet, but I remember Kimbley's lines in that discussion were some of the most chilling ones in the manga, and I'll be extremely dissapointed if they slaughtered it.

I enjoyed Winry automail nerding around, and Ed's freak out was indeed a bit over the top but nonetheless quite funny.

I think it's cos Ed accused Kimblee of being interested in Winry. Lal.

What was up with the wonky artwork this episode? It looks like they shuffled all the budget into the scenes with Pride, cos the characters in all the other scenes had those funky looking eyes again. >_>

But overall not that bad an episode. I've been waiting for for them to reveal Selim, and I like the way they animate Pride anyway.
ShadowCat17
you guys kidding? I thought the pride scene was pretty darn good. Creepy as heck. My only complaint was the shadow behind hawkeye, which in the manga was just a normal shadow but here it was obviously the same as the thing in the tunnel - which sort of spoiled it. I had no problem with the art either - at the end of the pride scene there was some pretty hardcore animation with the sidewalk and all. And of course, no new music, which sucks, but that's been true of pretty much every recent episode.
black~hayate
sorry for a little offtopic. It's about Hawkeye design of Bones.
She's too great to be drawn perfect, that's why Bones can't do it biggrin.gif.
Her eyes in this episodes were... well... killing me again. But her grin, when Pride scratched her, was superb.
Mr. Deathy
My main problem with the Pride scene is the ridiculous art when he says "I am the original homonculus, my name is Pride". The manga panel is fantastic:

http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/70/39/

This frame below however is an absolute mess! It's completely overdone. I can tell they wrapped the shadows around Selim to make it explicitly obvious he was the one controlling them but it looks stupid!

http://randomc.animeblogger.net:8000/image...0Large%2019.jpg
Irena
- Kimblee looked okay to me for the most part.
- Winry's seems hair look shorter in this episode. And her eyes got REALLY BIG in a couple of scenes.
- |D I liked Ed's freakout.
- The whole Pride thing has room for improvement, but I guess it wasn't bad - although there were some weird angles. And what was with that thing over his face? I think it would have been better if they used it as a cliffhanger
- It still baffles me how the animators are able to draw Alphonse perfectly symmetrical in every episode and yet they still haven't really nailed Riza. Come on, you guys can do it! She's actually important in this series!
- Next episode preview looks nice - finally, some action xD
Vlyse
Now that I rewatched the Pride scene, it's not all that bad, but I can't help but think of the woman villain from CoS after passing through the gate to Amestris when I see Pride in this shot.
Cece
I really liked this episode but the animation's a little funky.

EveningAlchemist
Dramatic beginning! That's always a good sign, right? Aww, Winry made Buccaneer blush! (She's so cute in that scene she could make me blush... wub.gif )

And I don't care what anybody says, Selim can still scare me! That scene gave me the shivers, with the cold, cold lighting and Hawkeye's expressions. It may be not the same as the manga, but anybody who hasn't read the manga will probably still think this scene was cool. It scared me more than the manga did, really. tongue.gif

The talk between Ed and Kimblee was pretty good for just a conversation, you know? Ed can make the best facial expressions of any character by far! Winry was looking pretty angsty too, in the cell. And I must agree the Alphonse eye narrowing thing was neato.

As always, I can't wait for the next episode!
heartwing713
Yeah, apart from what I said earlier about Bones not drawing Riza very well, I did enjoy the Pride scene. And black~hayate, I agree that Riza's face when Pride scratched her was spot on.

Can't wait for next episode! This little Pride/Briggs arc is one of my favorites in the manga smile.gif (My absolute favorite would be the ending arc of the manga, the one we're in right now, but I have a long wait before that gets animated!)
Jealous Rogo
Okay I'll do my opinions in full when I see the sub but when people were saying how underwhelming the Pride scene was, I decided to check out that scene in the raw and...

I disagree

I think it was perfectly creepy, the fact that Pride's normal voice is that weird one we heard before (which I thought was just gonna be used when all we could see was his shadow) just helped make the scene even creepier. The camera work tracking the shadow creeping up towards Hawkeye was great.

Only flaws I could find were the shadows on the face as mentioned and the moment Pride cuts her cheek. Maybe it's me but I always imagined him doing that slowly to create more pain. But maybe I misunderstood.

Eitehr way thrilled to see Pride, yayayaya
rzerox21xx
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encycloped...le.php?id=11972

hearing Jelso voice(one of kimbly's men, the african american one), looks like a another voice actor from FMA1 came back and voice someones else. Breda FMA1 seiyuu is now voicing Jelso and cant wait to hear the other chimera voice. I'm crossing my fingers for Ryotaro Okiayu voicing someone.

anyway, I understand people not liking how the episode protray the character faces but its unique in anime I learn to appericate the different directors from the really good ones to the not so. I remember how differ the animation can be in dragonball z.
Mr. Deathy
QUOTE (Jealous Rogo @ Dec 20 2009, 04:24 PM) *
Only flaws I could find were the shadows on the face as mentioned and the moment Pride cuts her cheek. Maybe it's me but I always imagined him doing that slowly to create more pain. But maybe I misunderstood.

I'm 100% positive it was meant to be that way. The drawing suggested that the shadow was moving slowly, however with how fast they paced the scene in general I don't think they really cared.

I keep looking at that damn shot of Pride when he states who it is. It really is horrible. The eyes and teeth are all over the place and look a complete mess. Some of the teeth are even jaggy instead of square, which doesn't happen until he absorbs Gluttony.

They're also stupidly drawing the eyes and teeth moving outside of shadows at some points (like in that shot there's a curious eye in the wall). That should never happen, because it cant.
_Jelly
What the hell. When's this anime gonna start looking BETTER?

heartwing713
QUOTE (JELEE @ Dec 20 2009, 10:25 PM) *

Epic Fail.

I did like the scene though, so no complaining for me. (plus I already did a ton of that a few pages ago.)
StormGoddess

Riza looked scarier than Pride in that pic dry.gif
Kasumisty
And I have no idea what are you complaining about. Loved almost everything about that episode btw.
hawkflame

I think she looks more like a muppet there than anything else. (Anyone else remember Guy Smiley?)
Vicious74
QUOTE (Mr. Deathy @ Dec 20 2009, 07:23 PM) *
My main problem with the Pride scene is the ridiculous art when he says "I am the original homonculus, my name is Pride". The manga panel is fantastic:

http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/70/39/

This frame below however is an absolute mess! It's completely overdone. I can tell they wrapped the shadows around Selim to make it explicitly obvious he was the one controlling them but it looks stupid!

http://randomc.animeblogger.net:8000/image...0Large%2019.jpg

Exactly. Manga panel was fantastic, Brotherhood frame was plagued by poor art and of course having the shadows actually cover a part of Selim's body was a ridiculous idea.

And man I've rewatched the Ed/Kimblee while looking at the manga version at the same time, and I can already tell that a bunch of lines were skipped. In the manga that conversation was a perfect exposition of Kimblee's wicked character, but now in Brohood it just won't have the same impact. =/
Animeoldtimer
-I liked how Buccaneer punched Ed in the face for having a pretty automail mechanic. I always liked that scene in the manga.

-I thought Winry's "Sailor Moon" moment was funny. At least that's what her excitement over Buc's automail made me think of.

-The sound effect for Prides tentacles was good, but I agree Riza looked to creepy for that scene.

-The looks Ed and Al give each other (especially Al) when talking to Winry was effective unlike some of the expressionless scenes.

Look forward to seeing the translation!
Mr. Deathy
I haven't seen one anime only person anywhere yet say anything like "Holy ...., that's who Pride is???!" or be impressed at all.

I feel that's because the scene has no impact in this episode. It's not even really treated like it's important.
BluePhoenix
What are people who only see the anime saying actually? I feel like everyone's opinions I read are from those who read the manga as well so they obviously knew.
gummybear
I think those who have read the manga have high expectations for the anime. One thing we all need to remember though, is that they can't put everything in the anime that was in the manga. I think they have done a very good job and I can't wait to see how it all ends!! laugh.gif
Forsaken Love
i really loved this episode! the 'periodic table moment' has been one of my most looked forward to scenes since before the anime even started XD and it didnt dissopoint it was really funny and oh so cute, i really liked the ep, loved pride, and errr well loved the ep! only critisim was the art was noticably off in some places but it didnt detract from my enjoyment, can not wait for next week

edit: oh i read people moaning about the pride scene before i watched it and i disagree i dont know what people are moaning about, yeh i gues its not as good as the manga but i thought it was fine and nice and creepy =3 and these little errors in art i dont know why they cause such a fuss, most of the time i dont even notice these things, allthough i do admit the art was a little strange at some points, but a line across prides face? whats wrong with that, surely BONES are allowed a little liberty, i thought it was a nice touch
hawkflame
QUOTE (Mr. Deathy @ Dec 21 2009, 01:11 PM) *
I haven't seen one anime only person anywhere yet say anything like "Holy ...., that's who Pride is???!" or be impressed at all.

I feel that's because the scene has no impact in this episode. It's not even really treated like it's important.

I think that a big reason is that people usually wait for subs to watch an episode, and those have been particularly slow to come for this episode. On the My Anime List thread for this episode, about half the posts so far are about the lack of subs. Other FMA threads on other sites are saying the same. A lot of torrent or streaming sites won't even have the episode if there are no subs.

It also seems that this is, unfortunately, one of the worst kept spoiler secrets in the manga, or at least it seems to me. I've come across way too many of my fellow FMA manga fans who just can't hold their tongue.
Disasterpiece
are there subs out
SneakyRuler
Quite an uneven episode. The art was... changing, there's no other word for it, but unusually, the script and pacing were just fine, so overall I liked the episode. Yes, I agree, Hawkeye looked differently every time we saw her, everybody's eyes were huge and/or odd-shaped (Hawkeye, Ed, Winry, Roy!)

Loved the opening scene with Kimblee's henchmen walking side by side. Nice seeing all four of them in a line, that's fanservice for me!
Everything about automail changing scene was great. Freaking-out Ed (even funnier than in manga!), stoical Kimblee sipping his coffee (I wonder whether or not he was required to pay for it!), Buccaneer mad at Ed for having a beautiful mechanic, Winry's enthusiasm about new technology...
Briggs people in tunnel scene was mostly good, I was a little insettled by the eyes opening in a wall instead in the shadow, as it seemed to me, but that's just detail.
Revealing Pride... well. Hawkeye looked strange 2/3rds of the time. And I couldn't take Pride seriously, with a shadow strip over his face. Shadows drawing back, however, were awesome.
Kimblee and Ed talk about orders from Central not bad, need subs here to have any opinion.
The last part was perfect (minus some character design drawing). Al's eye signal was a nice touch and by the end, Winry's resolution to be brave and just jump into it was well presented.

Oh, and looking forward to next episode. We've already had some not so great art so let's hope for spectacular to good art at least in the next three ones!
IceSkadi
- The opening scene with the chimeras is fantastic along side the tunnel scene with the poor survived soldiers.

- The art wasn't so great. Winry and Hawkeye's eyes were off for almost the entire episode (however they managed to keep Riza's ones right at least when Pride scratches her cheek). Even Alphonse wasn't so good this time. I think that they're saving their budget for the last episodes tongue.gif

- Roy with all the flowers! They keep this scene so I doubt that they will remove the phone scene next week

- Pride revelation wasn't so bad imo, maybe just a bit rushed. The shadows on his body didn't bother me and the eyes on the walls were great. I only hope that they will do justice to Riza in the next episode. She has to play a big role at the end of the series.

-Finally I will see some of my favorite characters fighting in the next episode biggrin.gif

Overall it was a good episode, not one of my favorite though.
Thalogens
That wasn't so bad... after reading all the cmments, I was expecting something horrific. Meh, the art has always been a bit inconsistant, so nothing new here. Except I actually like it more than when brotherhood started.

Is it just me, or does Kimblee resemble a bug? I don't remember him having quite the same buggy-esque hair in the manga.
Ropespinner
QUOTE (DoxyWings @ Dec 22 2009, 04:55 PM) *
Is it just me, or does Kimblee resemble a bug? I don't remember him having quite the same buggy-esque hair in the manga.

Kimbley does have the same strands of hair in the manga, but they look less buggy for some reason.

The Pride reveal could have been better, but actually it didn't bug me nearly as mch as most of the animation in other scenes. WHAT was up with Winry's eyes? Maybe they had to look off due to averages - otherwise in this series, Winry has been well animated quite throughout, even when some of the other characters have had off-moden moments. I quess it had to happen sooner or later.

I don't get why the Pride reveal episode got the worst animation in a long time. If they had to have an episode with lower animation quality in the Briggs arc, it could have been some of the three earlier ones, because they're not as important/shocking/memorable as the Pride reveal. Or even better would be not having low quality animation episodes at all...

Despite my whining, I didn't really hate this episode. Maybe some of the animation will be fixed for the DVD release?
Broken Chouchou
I really liked the first part of the episode, even the OVERUSED MUSIC felt nicely fitted in there. The beginning with the chimeras walking along side eachother was pretty cool. The shiny sunlight-effect was neat biggrin.gif

Then something happened. The Pride reveal wasn't, at least for me, suspenseful at all. It just happened so fast that it didn't even get remotely thrilling before it was all over. And I agree that the shadows over Selim's face was a little weird. On the contrary to what people've been saying though, I didn't find Riza off or weirdly drawn. Thought she looked fine.

The Kimblee conversation lacked the creepines from the manga, some good lines, and general emotion as well. Ed didn't look as he was very shocked or bothered by it when Kimblee told him to carve the crest of blood at Briggs, and when he heard the explanation for what it meant. Unimpressed is the word, I believe. Lazy animators.

And then it just sorta ended. Meh. The preview looks good at least.
Radadinator
I liked the Pride reveal scene.

And yes, it was spoiled for me a long time ago, and I've read that part in the manga a lot.

While watching the scene, somewhere around when the shadow arms started creeping in slowly I was getting a little worried that Brotherhood wouldn't mix it up. Recreating the same picture from the manga would be uncreative and boring. So I was pretty glad when Selim's eyes stayed the same and that shadow arm went across his face and the camera zoomed out on the eyes. Those were all neat little touches.

The thing that really bugged me is Ed's eyes. He looked a little more feminine than usual.

I wonder if Selim ever has a demented tea party with the Children of the Corn and that girl from Orphan.
Mr. Deathy
Watched the episode subbed now.

I have possibly an even bigger complaint than for the Pride scene. Ed's conversation with Kimblee was utterly destroyed. Every single frame in the conversation has bad animation and they speed through dialogue too quickly in a completely unnatural sounding way. There's several good lines gone too which spoiled how much this scene focused on background into Kimblee's personality and motives in the manga.

I really hate how they almost NEVER try and replicate manga panels either. I understand that this isn't the manga and that the artists want to create their own product, however some panels in the manga are just plain awesome and obviously would've worked far better than anything the anime team comes up with. There were so many good Kimblee panels in that scene in the manga and absolutely none of them had any anime equivalent.
mellulah
QUOTE (Radadinator @ Dec 22 2009, 09:11 PM) *
I wonder if Selim ever has a demented tea party with the Children of the Corn and that girl from Orphan.

What I would give to see this. Seliem to me looks alot like the kid form the omen. Brothers maybe?

Moving on the the subject in hand. I liked this episode very much and I thought that the Pride reveal scene was done well. Maybe it's because this time people knew it was going to happen so unlike the manga it didn't contain any of the suspense it did when we read it for the first time.
zonkiethegreat
I read the manga, and I thought this was a GREAT EPISODE!!! OH WOW!!! I LOVED THE PACING!!! The pacing was absolutely perfect!!! It didn't feel like a 3 minute episode, and it didn't end abruptly. I loved it!!!!

I got to see everything I wanted from this ep. Even if some things were placed in different order, who cares???

I guess the only thing I didn't like, was how they seemed to IMMEDIATELY give away who Pride was. I was like WHAATTT??? They gave it away that early??? I watch the eps with my bf (who hasn't read the managa) and I was hoping for a better reveal. OH WELL. Whatever. Still a good ep.

LMAO. Yeah! I thought Riza looked pretty wonky in this ep!!! Can't they make her look a little less...I dunno....masculine????
FMAobsessed
I have finally caught up on Brotherhood. I thought that the pacing of this episode was good.

I loved the Edwin moment at the beginning.

The episode did a great job at following the manga.

The Selim/Pride eyecatch was creepy. It was like innoncence then evil.
allykatty1
Am I the only one just a little disappointed by them leaving out the bit where Ed tugs on Winry's hair to get her attention? They have him tug on her wrench instead. It was still cute, but the hair bit was one of my favorites touches in the manga (and I know there are others out there who feel the same). Otherwise, loved it. smile.gif But I did miss it... *sigh*
fmadiva
QUOTE (Radadinator @ Dec 22 2009, 09:11 PM) *
The thing that really bugged me is Ed's eyes. He looked a little more feminine than usual.

I agree, Ed does look more feminine in Brotherhood[not like I'm complaining wink.gif]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.