Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Episode 36: Family Portrait - Content Discussion Thread
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Anime
Tombow
Talk-back/content discussion for English dubbed episode on Adult Swim starts on page 2. smile.gif

Please post the discussions on the content of episode 36 here.
This thread is declared as a Spoiler zone for the content of the first 36 episodes.

I'll be back later and fill out the rest of the first post. ^^
penguintruth
My initial thoughts:

- Hohenheim = awesome
- The Elric house has a bizarre shape
- The photograph scene!
- Little Ed and Al are so adorable
- Hoho fall down, go boom
- Don't leave them! Nooooooo. Okay, I know he does, but still.
- They sure went through several music tracks in this pre-credit scene
- THE EYES! THE EYES! THEEEE EYYYYYES!
- Yes, we get it, Alphonse is often mistaken to be the Fullmetal Alchemist.
- Ah, Raven. You're such a douche. Can't wait for you to... go...
- Oh, Sloth. I feel like you right now. Well, I usually do.
- ... into that long goodnight. OH WOW, was that more graphic than in the manga.
- Urgh... Winry. So. Friggin'. Annoying.
- Roy sure loves whores.
- UGA, UGA UGA

Another good episode.
SneakyRuler
- Hohenheim's flashback not as good as in manga but second part was powerful, I was on verge of tears when he announced to Trisha he was leaving (OK, might be sleep deprivation...)
- don't throw the picture in the fire! *phew*
- sh*t, coming darkness was scary! but no new music there T_T
- Armstrong stabbing Raven not half bad, pretty good actually.
- for some reasen I love Buccaneer passing gloves to Armstrong and her just absent mindedly grabbing them!
- Ed's frustration with being locked adorable
- evil Kibley is evil, get away from him, Winry
- Mustang and flower lady!

Seriously starting to doubt whether there ever will be a new soundtrack and already missing it.
amestris_star
Screenshots:

http://randomc.animeblogger.net/2009/12/13...brotherhood-36/
SneakyRuler
Thank you! Seems I missed some Hohenheim early on. Good. More Hohenheim scenes means more enjoyment.
Mr. Deathy
Mostly good stuff in this episode. Raven execution scene was great, Hohenheim scenes were nice and the tunnel scene was done well enough to keep me happy.

A shame that some minor things were missed like the horse running back down the tunnel with the guy's arm still attached but at least there were only a few small cuts.

Still could do with more new music though.

Next episode preview is umm....a little worrying? Art looks kind of dodgy for the importance of the episode.
Irena
- D'aww, chibi Elric bros!
- Why is their house so crooked? (I'll bet Hoho tried to build it without alchemy and failed xD)
- I love Olivier's expressions |D
- That's a really creepy eyecatch of Raven. He must be taking lessons from Envy.
- Stabby stab stab 8D
- Winry! Her winter outfit is adorable.

Decent episode overall. I have to say though, I get the feeling next week's episode will be suffering from budget cuts - Winry sure looked weird in that preview.
rzerox21xx
Heinkel and Darius!!!!! smile.gif

EveningAlchemist
Aww, I always thought it was beautiful when Hohenheim cried in that flashback. (Real men can cry!) LOL when he fell off the tree. And there's that amazing piece of soundtrack from Ishbal again that I think sounds like a singing ghost! It's one of my fav's for sure. (I'm still waiting patiently for some new pieces though, despite the awesomeness of the 1st soundtrack.)

And yes, I agree with Irena that Raven has been taking lessons in creepy from Envy 'cause that eyecatch gave me the willies! Good riddance really. (Ironically I am writing a bio report on ravens at this very moment O_o) Olivier is just awesomely ruthless, and her hair is very pretty, that's all I can say.

Scar sure got those Brigg's guards good! I wonder what kind of martial arts he used... Maybe it's just me but the lighting in that whole scene was neat. Kind of buttery but still ominous in a way.

Oh, Winry blushed so cutely when she saw Ed! wub.gif If only she knew the trouble she was causing... D: And I have to wonder if this is Edward's first time in a jail cell...

Roy was looking handsome in his civilian clothes again, going on his "date".

I cross my fingers in hope for the next episode!
_Jelly
I stopped watching the episodes a while ago but... I think I'll start again.

Yeah. I'll definately watch them.
Vlyse
Some of the color selections this episode (and the preview) kinda took me by surprise, even if I already saw them before in the manga. Namely Pride's eyes being red and Heinkel's hair being blonde instead of white. I still like them, though, and I think they work.

BGM was okay. The track playing when Olivier kills Raven is definitely one of my favorite. Still hope we'll see some new tracks soon.

Next episode's art: I'm not very knowledgeable about these things, but it looked fine to me. /shrug
Chiyo
I'm glad Hoho's image has been altered. To those who didn't know the manga he came across as unemotional to begin with but now we know the reason he left all is forgiven. I'm with the rest of you, baby Ed and Al are far too cute.

Olivier really is one of the best female anime characters ever for me. I'm glad (unlike Hoho) they kept the comedy faces with her so she didn't come across as a 2-D characters who's just stern all the time.

Ed sounded very feminine for a moment, when he says "wait a moment" or something like that before they tie him up. Not that it's a complaint its just been a while since I heard that pitch.

The Haly-Way point picture of Raven will haunt me, even more than when he's petting Oliviers hands. So glad he gets whats coming to him...

Yay Winry (I know I'm one of the few who care), and even a little snippet of Roy.
Vicious74
Heinkeil's hair is blonde and not white? Oh man I'll never get used to that.

Anyways, pretty good episode, shame it missed a few important lines here and there.
Hyperthia
QUOTE (Chiyo @ Dec 14 2009, 01:46 AM) *
Ed sounded very feminine for a moment, when he says "wait a moment" or something like that before they tie him up. Not that it's a complaint its just been a while since I heard that pitch.

I heard that too! It doesn't bother me though; his voice is by a woman anyways. It was actually kinda funny.

Baby Ed and Al made me die a little bit inside... From sheer cuteness!! I couldn't even focus on anything else because I kept going, "Awwwww!! X3"
And Hohenheim crying in the picture was also very touching. That whole flashback was one of my favorite parts of the manga, and Brotherhood didn't disappoint me smile.gif

I loved Olivier in this! I always love her, but this episode was just awesome because of her. Her expressions, while Raven was petting her hands, were priceless! XD
When she stabbed him, I cheered for her. She's just so bad-[All hail lord Xenu]!
Being buried alive like that would be a very sucky way to die, but Raven was a butthead, so ya. biggrin.gif

Ed's frustration at being locked up was also pretty funny (both in this episode and the last one). I think the whole 'behind bars' thing suits him... I like handcuffs on Ed ;D
I'm just kidding, of course... kinda...

When I saw Heinkeil, I was also like, "Blond hair, whut??" It doesn't really bother me too much though...

I will have to watch the subs later this week. I'll wait for Funimation to post it, because they tend to be more accurate (I think so anyways).
I'm looking forward to next weeks episode. Even though the art looks a bit... huh.gif ...
I think that'll be when Ed goes crazy and recites the elements, while Winry is working on his arm... laugh.gif

Oh, I also noticed (it's probably just me, cuz I'm spethal) Roy, in the last scene, sometimes looked very much like the anime 1 Roy. Of course they're the same character, but the art was yeah... I'll stop. It was just something I noticed. wacko.gif
Deadbeat007
Good ep. I think I liked the family portrait scene better in the manga, simply because there was more of a shock, turning the page to find this image as opposed to the way it was done in the anime. Just a little nitpick, I guess.

Really loving Olivier's and Kimbley's VAs. Winry looked really adorable toward the end of this ep... Dunno why she looked different to me. I agree that next ep's animation looks a little shaky, but the content should be fun.
Mr. Deathy
QUOTE (Deadbeat007 @ Dec 14 2009, 05:18 PM) *
Good ep. I think I liked the family portrait scene better in the manga, simply because there was more of a shock, turning the page to find this image as opposed to the way it was done in the anime. Just a little nitpick, I guess.

I think the raw emotion was lacking from the art in the anime's version too. In the manga his face was a little more bland looking as opposed to heart-wrenchingly sad.
archronos
Found myself a lot more invested in the opening scene with Hohenhiem, usually the anime rarely affects me since I've already read it all before but I actually found myself feeling bad for him here.

Also watching the brief bit with Roy felt very strange especially given what happens to him in chapter 102...
zonkiethegreat
QUOTE (rzerox21xx @ Dec 13 2009, 03:38 PM) *

HUH????? I don't recall seeing this scene in the episode!!! When did that happen???'

Oh yeah, and the ep was amazing! OLIVIA OWNS!!!

QUOTE (archronos @ Dec 14 2009, 06:33 PM) *
Found myself a lot more invested in the opening scene with Hohenhiem, usually the anime rarely affects me since I've already read it all before but I actually found myself feeling bad for him here.

Also watching the brief bit with Roy felt very strange especially given what happens to him in chapter 102...

YEAH....WOW....I felt the same way about Roy.....it was a little weird, and got me a little choked up....
Hyperthia
QUOTE (archronos @ Dec 14 2009, 03:33 PM) *

UGH! Same here... *cries*
Mr. Deathy
QUOTE (zonkiethegreat @ Dec 14 2009, 08:19 PM) *

HUH????? I don't recall seeing this scene in the episode!!! When did that happen???'

The next episode preview obviously...

I hate the art there though. That looks NOTHING like Kimblee.
zonkiethegreat
QUOTE (Mr. Deathy @ Dec 14 2009, 09:34 PM) *

oh wow I feel like a fool. LOL.

Yeah the art there is a little wonky.
Billea_the_Turtle
-Hoho scene! Yet, for some reason this scene was better in the manga. But, Hoho scene was moving nontheless.
-Baby Ed! Baby Al! D'awwwww...
-The Elric house has an odd shape.
-NOT THE EYES! ANYTHING BUT THE EYES! But, hell, those eyes are freaking scary.
-And yet no new music. *sighs*
-Raven needs to stop petting Olivier's hands and he needs to get out of her face.
-Olivier's expressions, I love them. laugh.gif
-Raven's eyecatch... Has he been taking lessons from Envy?
-How many times has Al been mistakened for Ed?
-And yes! Raven gets what he deserves! And hey, it was more violent than it was in the manga! And it was done well! *applauds*
-Winry needs to get away from Kimbley. Like nows.

Overall this episode was really awesome.
Vicious74
QUOTE (Mr. Deathy @ Dec 15 2009, 02:34 AM) *

He never does.

The animators can't draw Kimblee to save their lives.
hawkflame
A lot of good in this one.

I think it was a good choice to linger more on the Hohenheim scene like they did. It fleshes out the character more, and you could take time to appreciate him and his relationship to his family.

Loved Raven acting like a total sleazebag, and Olivier just -barely- putting up with it... for a while.

This episode is one of the few so far that was actually -more- violent than the manga. The "shadow" attack scene was appropriately disturbing, and holy crap, the death of Raven was perfect! It really was chilling seeing his face sink into the cement. Though I missed about "foundations" and then Raven being part of the foundations of Briggs- literally.

And then there's Kimblee, waving around Winry just to show how much of an SOB he is...
penguintruth
Another excellent episode, but you can attribute it to Arakawa's writing, not Bones. There are still a few glitches (in character design inconsistency, for instance) to work out.

But what Bones did especially well was scene where Olivier rids the world of General Raven. The guy is still alive as he sinks into the cement! Brutal.

Ugh, but now I'll have to put up with Winry again for the next few episodes.
Michiyo-
Please add FMA:B English dubbed episode 36 (on CN on Adult Swim) talk-back/discussions here. smile.gif

FMA:B will air 1:00 AM - 1: 30 AM and 5:00 AM - 5:30 AM eastern time. smile.gif
Disasterpiece
That general is one pervert I'll tell ya what lmao

but excellent episode. Stephanie Young as Armstrong never falters in her performance.

Tombow
For anyone who missed this episode, it's on again tonight on Adult Swim (U.S.) smile.gif
Tombow
For anyone who missed this episode, it's on again tonight on Adult Swim (U.S.) smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.