Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chapter 102 "Regular" Discussion Thread For First Time Readers (and Others)
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Manga
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Michiyo-
@Tombow: It seems Megaupload is acting up, sometimes the file is available, sometimes not. You just have to keep clicking on the link, and once it will work. biggrin.gif
Kasumisty
@Tombow: I got one when first opening the mirror link, but it worked after refreshing. Oh well, I can do some mirrors, can't I tongue.gif

RS | SS

Anywhere else?
Jealous Rogo
Crazy theory time!

Okay so Hohenheim made a big point about Father's desire for a family. In fact it's one of the core aspects of his character, right down to his name. He's also shown himself willing to save his children from dying. It has also been indicated that Pride is his favourite child. That child is now standing right beside him, possibly dying. As anti-climatic as it may be, perhaps Pride's dying may bring Father to do something to try and save him? I sincerely doubt it but I thought I'd just put it out there.
Forsaken Love
I actually feel like crying, by the time i got to Al i actually wanted to stop and had to speand quite awhile composing myself before finishing the chapter, ive never been this stressed reading an fma chapter before, I felt like crying when Roy tripped XD and I was like OMFGALWHATTHEHECKAREYOUDOINGITSRIGHTTHEREDAMNITPLEASEARAKAWADONTDOANYTHINGHORRIB
LEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEGIVEALHISBODYPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEDONTLETANYTHINGBADHAPPEN*SOBSO
BSOB* so anyway yeh i got all depressed at the Al part and am now throughly upset XD haha roll on next month woop woop, Al's body was so ominious, makes me think how does the body know these things? But then wheres Al's truth? presumably its his body...mmm
Tombow
Thank you, Kasumisty and Michiyo-!! Huge hugs!! happy.gif

I got mine started (it will take for a while to get the dl completed for me, but it's going fine now. ^^) Editing the first post with the links. biggrin.gif
Michiyo-
@Tombow: You're welcome! ^^
And, if it's not much trouble for you, can you please translate the Wii game prologue, too? I understood some parts of it, but I'd like to know the rest. biggrin.gif
jacksparrow589
Jealous Rogo--Whoa... That'd actually be pretty cool! I mean, Wrath said Selim wouldn't be his weakness, but Father might very well be different. I just kind of had this image in my head of Father going, "Don't you DARE touch my precious little baby!" about Pride after reading your theory, and it made me laugh. At the very least, if they were to attack Pride and then Father if Father were to try to save Pride (maybe with Hoho screwing things up from the inside), it might be effective? Hmm... Time will tell, I guess.
redfirelily
I hope there won't be anything dramatic like, Al gets his body back and dies a few minutes later >_>

Why is Pride dissapearing? Is there some kind of an explanation that I'm missing or.. ?

And Roy's pride also dissapears at that page too.. It is a very very bad day for him...
KateChibi
Awesome! This chapter was simply awesome!
Did you notice Ed, how he was all worried about Roy? He couldn't control his own feelings too well, even though he tried to! I know he loves him, and now Roy will have to depend on him because he lost his sight! And they will both finally realize how much they love each other! I don't think any pairing will come true, but I love this idea XD It was so nice how Ed was checking Roy's body, if he hadn't lost something...I wonder if he was looking for something particular... XD But...it's so sad that he lost such an important thing sad.gif

And I hope that they will kill Wrath already! It's so annoying that he's still alive.

And the last thing that amazed me was Alphonse, of course. He's so strong! O.O I didn't even imagine he'd do something like that!
Tombow
QUOTE (Michiyo- @ Dec 10 2009, 05:03 PM) *
@Tombow: You're welcome! ^^
And, if it's not much trouble for you, can you please translate the Wii game prologue, too? I understood some parts of it, but I'd like to know the rest. biggrin.gif

@Michiyo-- Yap, that's my plan. ^^ Although, it will probably be a slow process considering that my computer/connection is barely functioning, and my RL has been killer busy, but I'd like to put up my usual "reference" translation for this chapter, and complete the one for the last chapter as well. ^^
(But, lucky for us, the scanlation is already up, so we all know the gist of what's happening in this chapter. ^^)

....But first, I have to finish downloading the raw... yes, it's still sloooowly downloading. It will be a while. XD
Michiyo-
Thanks for that, Tombow! I don't mind that it'll take some time, I'll wait for it! biggrin.gif
Kasumisty
QUOTE (KateChibi @ Dec 10 2009, 10:38 PM) *
Did you notice Ed, how he was all worried about Roy? He couldn't control his own feelings too well, even though he tried to! I know he loves him, and now Roy will have to depend on him because he lost his sight! And they will both finally realize how much they love each other! I don't think any pairing will come true, but I love this idea XD It was so nice how Ed was checking Roy's body, if he hadn't lost something...I wonder if he was looking for something particular... XD But...it's so sad that he lost such an important thing sad.gif

Lol laugh.gif Let's not get too far with it, shall we :F But I admit, it was kinda un-Ed-ish to be worried so much over the Colonel tongue.gif Especially his expression on this page, second frame and that "N-, No"
KateChibi
QUOTE (Kasumisty @ Dec 10 2009, 11:48 PM) *
Lol laugh.gif Let's not get too far with it, shall we :F But I admit, it was kinda un-Ed-ish to be worried so much over the Colonel tongue.gif Especially his expression on this page, second frame and that "N-, No"

Yeah, I know I overdid it, but sometimes I can't stop my fantasies and I think I'm not the only one. biggrin.gif
Sannom
QUOTE (Irena @ Dec 9 2009, 08:26 PM) *
I can't help but wonder what Al's body meant when he (it?) said something like "your return will bring nothing but despair and ruin." Will he have to pay some sort of price in order to bring his body away from the gate?

As some people said, Al just went to be the fifth sacrifice, and played right into Father's hands. And as Lin suggested way back, Father's plan would probably be an opportunity to get their bodies back, so the sacrifices will probably end up before the Gate somehow.

Although I don't think that Al accepting his body could have changed a lot of things, since he would have ended up with Father anyways. Unless of course that reuniting with his body means that he would simply dies or be stuck at the Gate forever. Then Father would have been completely screwed up but Al would have died...

QUOTE (Broken Chouchou @ Dec 10 2009, 02:53 AM) *
Looking forward to see Scar fight Bradley - it's how I wanted it, the fastest dudes in the series in a last showoff against each other. And I like how Bradley makes the comparison that neither of them have any names. Two, nameless warriors. Fitting.

What's even more fitting is the fact that they're both warriors who went through a very strict education and a real "training of hell", both are extremely reckless and ruthless, both are probably the best close-quarters fighters of the manga. Man, there is so much "connection" between the two, a fight between them isn't even surprising. Wonder if the subject of the Ishbal War will come up... Bradley will probably use it to try and anger Scar, but the Ishbal will keep his composure and continue to fight.
RoyxRizaFan
This was a heartwrenching chapter. Part of me wishes I hadn't read the spoilers so I could've had a full effect, but I suppose it's best I got my tears out the night before so that I could be more reasonable and less frantic/devastated while I read it.

I haven't cried at FMA for a while, but I couldn't help but feel broken when I read that Roy had lost his eyesight. I'm recovering now, and I'm sure he'll adjust to this life, but it's just really sad to see Roy go through so much. He's had it so hard the past few chapters, and then this to top it off. I don't know what this means for his future and when you root for a character for so many years, you feel as if they're your friend, which is why I shed a few tears. I'm not sure if anyone else was feeling it quite as much as I was, but...I feel just terrible for Roy. He can't use his alchemy this way (too dangerous!) and who knows what this means for the 520 cenz promise. My friend told me "Noise Marie from D. Gray Man is blind, and he doesn't have a problem!" but he's used to it, and DGM isn't as realistic as FMA. One of my friends is legally blind, so I know how difficult it is. I know Roy won't give up, but it's just scary to think of all the things that he won't be able to experience like he used to.

I felt so upset last night, but knew that I'd understand once I read the chapter what Arakawa was thinking, and trusted that I'd understand. Now that I've had time to calm down, although I am still sad for Roy, I can't think of anything more clever that she could have written. It's even more significant than losing his hands, as was speculated beforehand. (how can chapter 101 make me so happy, and 102 make me so sad?)

Anyhow, I am interested in how Scar vs. Wrath will turn out, since I never considered it, and if it will end with a revalation of Scar's name.

Al is a stupid, loveable, wonderful person! xD He really is such a great character. I don't think Al can die. I'd bawl, man. BAWL MY EYES OUT. Everyone would. It'd be too cruel. His sacrifice may have ended up helping Father's plan, but Al could never do anything less than what he decided.

I can't believe the "Christmas chapter" had my poor Roy going blind...happy holidays, guys.
FMAobsessed
Thank you whoever for posting the scanlations, and RAWs, and mirrors. I still think it is funny that the scanalation came out before the RAW.

@RoyxRizaFan: I know some Christmas present right?
RoyxRizaFan
Yeah who am I kidding? I'm still crying... Of course I'm also in a bad state since I just saw "Blindside", which made me cry, and I come home to this...(and I've already heard a bunch of "Blindside" jokes from my friends when I told them about Roy, so please don't do that again...)
Claudius
Unless I'm mistaken, but isn't Roy (both versions) the type of strong person who would consider a personal disability or lack of a body part as no big deal? Sorta like 'Oh well, this complicates things, but it's not the end of the world.' We, the reader/viewer may disagree with 'Oh, poor Roy!', but the characterization speaks for itself. To both Roy Mustangs, the scars to his soul (killing innocents, allowing demons to reek havoc, feeling useless in not saving a loved one, killing for revenge) are probably a gazillion times worse than any blindness or amputation (of course, if it was a gender-defining body part, maybe...).
In short, I don't see MangaRoy going Emo over this (just as the lack of an eye wasn't CoSRoy's problem either).
Sannom
To become blind is always a big deal, and I don't think he will be able to adjust quickly enough to be of some kind of utility in the battle. He is useless, and this time it's not funny!

He will deal with it on the long term, sure, but right now? That's a particularly hard blow!
RoyxRizaFan
What you're saying is true, Claudius, and I know Roy won't give up. He's not that kind of person. This will affect his life somehow, though, and although this may be something he can deal with eventually, I as a reader who is completely invested in his character hates to see him hurt in any way. Part of me agrees and thinks I'm overreacting and the other part knows I can't help it because I love Roy so damn much smile.gif So I know this isn't the end of Roy or his dreams, but I can't help but be sad. For the time being I'm going to mope, and I can be hopeful later tongue.gif

This is what all my friends keep reasurring me, too, that Roy will be all right. I know everyone's right, but my emotions are flying this way and that way, so I can't exactly be, um, rational at the moment xP This wil change his life completely and I'm scared of what that means.

It is because Roy is that way - such a strong, devoted loveable character that you can't help but root for with all your heart - that I cry for him.
Trakonda
Gah! Come on, Al! After all this time, your body is RIGHT in front of you and you decide to reject it?! Stop being so noble all the time.
MAN this is fustrating. XD Guess Arakawa doesn't plan to make good things happen until the very, VERY end.

Roy losing his eyesight was quite a surprise to me. But then again, it ended up being most logical thing to happen. Awesome. o.o I wonder if he will stay that way? I wouldn't count it impossible, I mean if all goes well, Riza would stay on his side anyway.

Good chapter, I just wish it would have been longer. Like always. XD (and yet another cliffhanger, urgh.)
Winry Chan
Back after reading RAW. And releasing all of my pent-up frustration and shock over the chapter.

I agree with Claudius in that Roy isn't the type of person to withdraw from everything just because he lost his eyesight. I think the reason he's currently clutching at his face on the floor is that he's just in shock. In the long run, I think he'll adjust quite well.

Introducing his blindness this late in the story makes me also think that Roy will still be blind at the end. What would be the point of dropping this bomb on the readers if Arakawa would heal him right after the final battle? This is in contrast to Ed, Al, and Izumi regaining what they lost before the first chapter.
  • Al running back through the doors still in the armor, yet promising he'd be back - it's almost a given that he will be back (unless he somehow dies and tells Ed he's "sorry he broke his promise", but let us not dwell on that possibility).
  • Ed has promised himself, Al, Winry, Pinako, and many other people that he will get his limbs back. However, would I be the only one to think that he will only get his leg back? Ed lost his leg trying to revive his mother, and his arm to his brother. If Al gets his body back, would it somehow interfere with Ed's right arm? (Dwelling on the aforementioned possibility, if Al dies, I'm betting Ed would keep the automail arm as a reminder that he lost it to save his brother. But that's dwelling! Moving on!)
  • Izumi, I don't know. Just because she wanted a child in the past doesn't mean she wants one now. Typing that down makes it look cold, but I'm not sure how to accurately describe what I mean. Off to the thesaurus! EDIT: I got it. 'I don't see her realizing "Hey, I can have a kid now!" and move on from HOUSEWIFE to MOTHER.' <-- Thesaurus was no help. A friend of mine helped me. ^^

Some curious notes:
  • On Page 09, the top panel where Roy is starting to disappear has some foreshadowing - his eyes have no pupil.
  • Page 19 Arakawa has cleverly hidden Roy's (lack of) pupils by placing his bangs and the camera at just the right angle.
  • Anyone else think on Page 42 that Father/BlackOminousHumanoidShadow is making a O_o face?

And that is all.
hawkflame
Some more thoughts on this chapter:

A few people have said that Ed's reaction to Roy going blind is a bit extreme for him. I don't see that at all, and I'm talking as someone who's fervently against RoyxEd.

Ed is an emotional hothead who invests himself in other people- his reaction to Hughes' death, then his reaction to Maria Ross's apparent death, the Nina incident, etc. True, Mustang didn't -die-, but he was a trusted comrade, who he knew longer than any of the above characters at the time. And losing his sight may have been the most crippling and unexpected blow dealt to him aside from death. Ed's a hothead, it's totally in character for him to react emotionally like that.

And while Roy is certainly stunned and disoriented by losing his vision, I think he'll be fine.
This is a guy who performed an extraordinarily painful cauterization on himself so he could kill Lust and save Havoc's, Al's, and Hawkeye's lives. He also refused to give up on Havoc after he was paralyzed from the waist down. "Quit" isn't in his vocabulary.
edxwinryfan
OMG Al!! He had his chance to get his body and he may never get that chance again!! sad.gif I think he made a mistake ohmy.gif but its kind of too early to tell. I cannot wait until the next chapter!!!

Anyway I just have to say its been 18 chapters since we last saw Winry sad.gif sad.gif
I'm starting to lose hope that we WILL see her before the last chapter.
angelofsarcasm89
I think out of everyone, Roy has the best chances of getting at least some of his eyesight back. Maybe just in eye, but not totally blind. Why? Because to me, choice has always been a fairly significant theme in the series. And out of all of the sacrifices, Roy is the only one who didn't choose to try human transmutation, he never chose to open the gate. He was forcibly pinned to the circle and sent through it, he didn't even open it himself. Maybe Truth-kun will be nice and take that in mind.
Anakishi
MAN, you guys are so harsh! I finally got to read the raw, stop, think about it a little, and when I come down here I've got no less than 19 pages to read?! Gimme a break!

Anyways, I've read them all, now to the point:
Wow! I thought I was the only one in the internet who actually cared about the raw, and would like to read it first (japanese student). Thanks guys, I'm touched now!
I also agree with Sensenic on that: those scanlators are sure selfish, keeping the raw for themselves... I'm not saying I don't appreciate it, their work is awesome, but they need to remember this isn't about profit or personal status. Second that, "share the love".

Now, to the actual chapter: I felt so empty when I read it, I guess it was so overwhelming I lost reaction, everything was so FAST, it's like a million things happening at the same time, you don't know where to look first... So I had to stop for a while and think deeply (that's why I love FMA), and decided I could make more sense of it all if I read comments on the forum. It really helped, thanks again, I'm starting to see some light.

Not gonna repeat everyone's comments, just add that I, too, felt so creeped out how Al's body seemed to have some kind of separate conscience, and how the heck does he know whats happening outside, so he could make his ominous (how do you spell it?) foretelling?!! I used to think it was "Al's Truth" talking through his body, but that just doesn't make sense anymore... his body's facial expressions and lines are not those Truth would make/say, IMO. So who's this talking? Al's mind, perhaps? Weird, just wierd...

I'm probably the only one who felt relief when Al refused his body, lol. Why? I'm almost 100% certain he could never go back through the Doors with his real body, he'd just be stuck there. I just know. And Ed would have a challenge ahead of him as how to rescue him... so that's one point. Second: it's kind of strange, but I didn't feel emotional when Al approached his body... I actually felt alarmed, like it was some kind of trap. I don't know why I felt that way! It just seemed wrong, like "Truth setting a trap so Al could be stuck there". I remember I felt the same way in chapter 73, when Al's body first tried to pull it back, something with it's face... I'm not making sense, am I? tongue.gif
Anyways, w00t fot Al, he's too awesome, although stupid, I'm really starting to get to his fandom, now.

So, with Al's return, that suits Father's plan perfectly. And finally we can get this party started and find out what he actually plotted. So exciting!

Is it January yet? [2]

EDIT: you guys are so totally right, father's belly is so distracting! I lol'd so hard at his face when Al got back, that was not the moment for comedy...
Hagaren_4ever
SOOO CLOSE! RAAAAHHH!!! mad.gif

Stupid Al! Stupid stupid stupid! I'll forgive you if you get your body back, but until then STUPID!!!!

I kinda like the whole thing where Al's body nodded his head and closed his eyes just like in the scene when Ed was there. LOL, would it be hilarious if they did it the same way they did Ed's scene with Al's real body in Brotherhood? If it'd be like, "What?! Al was supposed to say 'I'll be back for you!'! Why did they have the gate clos- oh, they're doing that again." XD
Kyelinn
QUOTE (KateChibi @ Dec 10 2009, 03:38 PM) *

And I hope that they will kill Wrath already! It's so annoying that he's still alive.

And the last thing that amazed me was Alphonse, of course. He's so strong! O.O I didn't even imagine he'd do something like that!

Eeehhhhyeeah, that's kinda pushing it a bit...okay pushing it A LOT. Obviously Ed does care about the Colonel, there's no doubt about that, but they don't love each other...I'm sorry to tell you. They care for each other, but there is just no love there...EdxRoy won't happen, at least not in this story. Even Ed has his mature points. Somebody he knows very well and cares for has gone through the doors, and Ed knows better than anybody what it costs to go through that place, so naturally he WOULD be concerned that Mustang had lost something. I doubt he was looking for anything in particular. He was just worried that he may have lost limbs like he himself did. And yes, he would be agonized over Mustang losing his eyesight. Remember the 520 cenz promise? He wanted him to rise to the top and become the leader of the country and fix it. With a lack of eyesight now that's just one of the many things that's bound to not happen unless there is SOME WAY he can get his eyesight back.
Southern Rain
*finger on air*

Just a question, like...

If we consider that:

1. Homunculi can't by their own nature, perform alchemy without their own Philosopher's Stone (which can't be considered their OWN alchemy, but through a tool)

2. Alchemy is a gesture of the alchemist's free will, that demands intention and focus, and so it can't be done accidentally

and finally

3. Knowledgde is bounded to one's personal limitations

So.

HOW ON EARTH COULD PRIDE FORCE MUSTANG TO PERFORM HUMAN ALCHEMY?? *pant* *pant*

Please someone explain to me how could one make alchemy through others' hands. If there's an example on the manga itself please refresh my memory. I couldn't find ANY reasonable explanation for that.

Also, Roy going blind. That was luff. He won't stay on that vulnerable *coughcoughuselesscough* state for too long, for our happiness. Only long enough for some more tender Royai moments. laugh.gif

Because if Ed and Al happen to find the path to retrieve what they lost, both Izumi and Mustang could as well. Right? Right?

Maybe not D: */shot*

(and I don't doubt that the final battle will be at that Door XD)

Oh, and someone said back there (sorry, can't remember who) that Mustang's Gate looked like Hawkeye's array. That's SO TRUE. o.o Check it out:

Mustang's Gate: http://mangastream.com/read/fullmetal_alchemist/102-9/14

Riza's tatoo: http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/57/31/

I thought that it might be just another alchemy symbolim, a coincidence? But then I looked at AL'S door: http://mangastream.com/read/fullmetal_alchemist/102-9/30

Which is different.

Whoa, NICE! laugh.gif
RoytheFlameAlchemist
Epic chapter, one of my favs!
So dramatic.
Also lol'd at Father's O_o"lolwut?" face.

And i think this was the last time for Al to recover his body, i would bet it wont last any longer in that state...
EveningAlchemist
crying_anim02.gif <--- That was me during my computers class! Why do I always pick the most inconvenient times to come across cry-worthy fiction? Of course I didn't actually cry, because technically nothing as devastating as the death of a character happened, but the emotions portrayed brought tears to my eyes.

I guess we all could have seen what happened to Roy coming, but still, the way Hiromu showed it was recklessly beautiful! I hope (if not know) that Roy will be okay in the end and even if he can't see his country as it is freed, he will feel it's roar of triumph, just as Edward lost his leg and he still stands. *sniffle*

And Al is just the tip-top of the tower of nobility, isn't he? I was like "Go Alphonse!" when he gave up his chance for his body to help the ones he loved, but then... with the words of "Al's truth", I am now deeply concerned, and plus the look it got was super-creepy and un-Alphonse like.

This chapter also gave me respect for King Bradley, since he shows absolutely no fear of death. (and he just kicks-butt)

After all that, I left the classroom shaking as bad as I was after I'd read chapter 94-95! <--- Obviously I'm a big Roy fan.

What Southern Rain pointed out with the gate doors is also kinda cool. It would make sense that each person has a different looking gate that corresponds to their life-path, just as they each have their own truth. (Lol at Roy's truth being so much taller than Ed's - which I am used to.) Now I have to take a look at Edward's truth door better...

*Slinks off back into her hole of homework*
FMAobsessed
I don't remember what chapter it was, but in volume 13 when Ed first meets Al's real body he swears that he will come back for him. Then Armor Al swore that he would come back for his body. So maybe Ed and Al will go together to retrieve Al's actual human body from the gate.

Why couldn't Truth have compromised with Mustang and made him color blind or have night blindness?
Billea_the_Turtle
Man, this chapter was amazing. Bradley is half dead, but he charges into battle without fear of death. That just shows how badass he is. Love what he said about there being a battle between two nameless beings.

I could kinda foresaw what was going to happen to Mustang, but I was still sad when I found out he was blind. But, that scene was beautiful. *sniffle* Even though what happened to him happened, he still has Riza and others help him. So, he'll pull through, no matter what.

LOL'd at Mustang's gate being so much taller than Ed's.

Awwwww Al is so noble. He gave up that chance to get his body back in order to help those he cares about. That's why Al is so awesome. But, what his body (?) said when Al left really creeped me out. It looked so evil when it said that. *shivers*

Father's 0_o lolwhat? face was priceless. I sort of agree with what he was saying about Truth. Y'know about Al's body and Mustang's blindness and Izumi's organs being taken away. Truth is cruel, but justified as Izumi said in vol. 13.

This chapter was pure awesomeness.
archronos
QUOTE (angelofsarcasm89 @ Dec 10 2009, 06:27 PM) *
I think out of everyone, Roy has the best chances of getting at least some of his eyesight back. Maybe just in eye, but not totally blind. Why? Because to me, choice has always been a fairly significant theme in the series. And out of all of the sacrifices, Roy is the only one who didn't choose to try human transmutation, he never chose to open the gate.

No one expects to see the gate, they're simply taken there without warning. I think that as long as someone breaks the tabboo they will be taken through the gate sort of as a cautionary warning to their actions, showing them the knowlege that human transmutation is not possible.
FMAobsessed
I really hope that the end of Pride and Wrath is near. On page 21 when Pride is taunting Mustang about being blind, he really seemed worried when he touched his cheek that seemed to be breaking off.

And Wrath too even said that he is practically dying. I am so excited to see a Wrath vs. Scar showdown. That will be an awesome and amazing fight.
jacksparrow589
Kyelinn--I wouldn't go burying Roy's aspirations just yet, were I you. It's been reinforced in so many different ways by so many different people (all independently of each other, mind you), that I think we have good reason to believe that Roy will, in some form, make it to the top. Arakawa's managed to pull off the near-impossible in the past, and believably, too.

Southern Rain--People were saying something about Pride having absored Kimbley somewhere back a few (er, several?) pages. I would assume this has something to do with it. And between being part Kimbley and fully homunculus (probably with "special" properties of some sort, given the philosopher's stone core), I would imagine Pride could pull it off. Pride seemed to have it well in hand, even at the beginning. All that was needed was for Roy to be pinned. Again, I don't know the mechanics--I'm just taking a guess.
wagonista
So if this thread is a "spoiler party," then why do I have to highlight half of every post here?
RoytheFlameAlchemist
Dunno why, but i have the feeling that May will finish Pride.
angelofsarcasm89
QUOTE (RoytheFlameAlchemist @ Dec 11 2009, 12:39 AM) *

Because watching two five-year-olds beat the crap out of each other promises to be hilarious?

archronos--Yeah, no one expects the Spanish Inquisition! to see the gate. But still, choice has always seemed like such a big thing in this series. The others chose to break the taboo. Roy didn't. Even when the life of one of his most important friends was in danger, he still refused to do it. It just feels like a major slap for Truthie to say "Oh yeah, you didn't actually do anything except get tied down. But I'm still gonna take your eyesight. Okay, bye then!"
Vlyse
QUOTE (RoytheFlameAlchemist @ Dec 11 2009, 12:39 AM) *

She does seem to be an untouchable character, like Scar. (Though I expect him to die) Most likely the chimeras will die (if anyone is going to go down in a fight), since they're coming down to Father's room also. I hope. I can't see anything else they're good for.
whippersnapper
QUOTE (angelofsarcasm89 @ Dec 11 2009, 03:37 PM) *
It just feels like a major slap for Truthie to say "Oh yeah, you didn't actually do anything except get tied down. But I'm still gonna take your eyesight. Okay, bye then!"

Maybe taking his eyesight but not his eyes was already a discount? tongue.gif
And in case you get the wrong idea, I'm not happy about this as well, but like some have mentioned, it could be worse.
It's the thought that he might never regain his sight that's depressing sad.gif
Jealous Rogo
QUOTE (Southern Rain @ Dec 10 2009, 07:35 PM) *
*finger on air*

Just a question, like...

If we consider that:

1. Homunculi can't by their own nature, perform alchemy without their own Philosopher's Stone (which can't be considered their OWN alchemy, but through a tool)

This was true in Anime1 but I dont think this has ever been said to be true in the Manga, indeed the exactc opposite. Father pretty much created alchemy and he's an Homunculus. The Homunculus' powers are all pretty much alchemy based. It's not a stretch to imagine that once Pride gained knowledge of alchemy from Kimblee, he was able to use it. Indeed this chapter just confirms a suspicion I'd had for a while and indeed makes the times Selim said he wanted to learn alchemy massively awesome foreshadowing.

Broken Chouchou
(EDIT: This is kind of a response to angelofsarcasm89, but by the time I was finished writing a whole bunch of other people had posted below her xP)

But does The Truth know whether a person who performs human transmutation was forced into doing it or not? (personally, I doubt that would even matter though)

It all comes down to what The Truth really is. Everyone has their own Truth and Gate, that much we know.

(Now these speculations are purely hypthetical, and my thoughts are more like questions rather than statements, if someone would think it so. Because I don't know anything. I'm just spinning the wheel here.)

But is it possible that those differing versions of The Truth are just personal interpretations of it?

Is Al's Truth is the same "guy" as Roy's Truth? The Truth then being an entity that manifests itself differently in each persons mind?

EDIT2: Crap, the illustration didn't come out right when I posted. The lines were pushed to the side of the post. Meh... maybe you're still able to see what I mean? Maybe? =( <I switched to a picture. Might it help? ^^ (feel free to re-edit the pic/delete this note, etc. ^^) ~T. >

If this would be the case, The Truth would be "one" existing being, that manifests itself within "all", appearing differently to everyone in regards to their personalities, minds, memories, life-views etc.

And if this is how it is, then The Truth resides at The Gates, (which would then be a physical place/dimension) instead of in peoples minds. How then would he know what's going on in the real world?

That is what makes it difficult for me to see The Truth, as Al (?), when saying "your return may only bring ruin", referring to him returning as the 5th sacrifice. Instead I think he might be talking about that when Al comes back to the gates to get his body, he might not get it, or worse, maybe he'll end up dying.

Unless The Truth, as "one" being, is an "all-seeing god" and can tell what happens in the real world as well.

Thats theory one. I don't even know how many holes is in there, it was just some thoughts that came up with. Not even sure if they makes any sense, or how coherent they are.

Anyway, the other theory would be that everyone has their own Truth, that resides in theír minds. The dimension of the gates then being... something else. This would at least explain how Al's body, Truth, knows about the sacrifice thing, since Al knows about it. If it is indeed the sacrifice Al's body was referring to.

And IF it even is The Truth speaking through Al.

Maybe it's a clever combination of both examples. Anyway, I feel like I'm blabbering, I really don't have a clue. Maybe I've missed to consider some obvious hint in the manga or something. I'll be quiet now x]
Sannom
QUOTE (Southern Rain @ Dec 10 2009, 07:35 PM) *
*finger on air*
Just a question, like...
If we consider that:
2. Alchemy is a gesture of the alchemist's free will, that demands intention and focus, and so it can't be done accidentally
and finally
3. Knowledgde is bounded to one's personal limitations
So.
HOW ON EARTH COULD PRIDE FORCE MUSTANG TO PERFORM HUMAN ALCHEMY?? *pant* *pant*
Please someone explain to me how could one make alchemy through others' hands. If there's an example on the manga itself please refresh my memory. I couldn't find ANY reasonable explanation for that.

Well, you just have to assume it's a Deus Ex Machina/a$$pull on Arakawa's part. Pride just bent all the rules we knew, forced someone to make a transmutation and actually fooled the Truth into believing that Mustang sinned. The last part is especially scary.
Tombow
Uh... interesting discussions going on, and don't want to interrupt, but...

Some people seem to be getting some misunderstanding/confusion on the skinny Al's quote on.. page 40?
And, since now we got the raw, eventually I will start posting my "reference" translations for this chapter, but it may take some time to finish that, so, for now, here is the explanation on that bubble some people seem to be getting some confusion, and asked me about: smile.gif

or.. click here for the page with explanation (the same pic as above)

Now, please go back to whatever the discussions you were engaged in. ^^
whippersnapper
^Thanks so much Tombow!
For a while I was depressed because I thought it implies Al is never going to get his body back (ie if you come back everything will be in ruins). Now the future looks brighter happy.gif
Tombow
^ You're welcome. ^^ Of course, we still don't know what will happen to Al, and some bad things may/may not happen, but at least we know that bubble is not foreshadowing/implying some bad stuff Al might/might not face when/if he comes back later. (phew.. ^^)
QueenTiria
QUOTE (jacksparrow589 @ Dec 11 2009, 02:48 AM) *
Sesenic--Ah, I meant alchemy in general, not just flame alchemy. At the very least, I'm sure he could construct a shelter of some sort so that he doesn't get killed. I mean, I would assume that sight makes alchemy a LOT more effective, but Roy's aware of the amount of space he takes up. Could he use that knowledge, even without seeing, to make sure he doesn't die?

When I saw that post, the first thing I thought of was TOPH. (blind Earthbender in Avatar, Last Airbender series who operates by being ultra sensitive to the earth, being able to tell a person's movement just by different pressure/location on the ground)
But being suddenly blind is kinda disorientating. I believe Mustang will be initially useless, then Riza will jump in the hole and have a *squee* Royai moment and he'll be all fired up and useful again!!

And I just realised NOW that they all have different Gate depictions... (which Southern Rain pointed out...)

Ed- http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/23/24/
Al- http://mangastream.com/read/fullmetal_alchemist/102-9/30
Mustang- http://mangastream.com/read/fullmetal_alchemist/102-9/14

(I like Al's the best!)
Kaori Ayanami
(And that's why the raw is SO important).

Thank you, Tombow. By the way, I understand your mean internet connection keeps us away from your translation goodness, but you could always clear those vital details up ^^U (not that I can't try, but you're the best in here wink.gif).

(Could you translate "Omoshirokarou", at least? That was the last thing Wrath said to Scar. After all, it's not the same "Gotta be interesting" than "Let's have fun").

Anyway, I still have some time till I go to sleep (Phoenix time... do your math +_+), so I'll try to clarify some things myself.
What Tombow just pointed out is not to be doubted about. When Truth (with Al's body) welcomed Al's soul, he said "o-kaeri", that is, welcome home. Kaeru is the verb for returning to the place one belongs to. He used another verb, modoru, to speak about Al's return that "might bear despair" (only despair, not ruin, as far as I understand, by the way XD). Modoru is to come back to the place one came from, no matter where it is, so it's quite neutral: it can be applied to almost anything and anywhere. And Al did come from the outer world, so... OK, enough with the Japanese lesson sleep.gifU.

Heartbreaking, Al's answer to Truth's surprise. "I ended up thinking about going back to my original body all the time!" That's what I understood. T_T

Only one more thing: I think Roy realized he was blind AFTER tripping and falling, because right before that he said "Nani mo mie...n", which is for me "There's nothing to be seen", as you would say "My keys are nowhere to be seen" XD. But then again, it could be an "I can't see a thing" (but wouldn't it be worded as miraren?), and maybe he is starting to realize it during the pause.

Ah, I forgot... ˇBienvenidos al foro! Mientras más hispanoparlantes, mejor. happy.gif (I mean a Spanish and a Mexican that posted here recently, but can't get to remember their nicks, sorry sleep.gif).
SneakyRuler
Thank you, Tombow and Kaori Ayanami! One incertainty about this chapter solved!

About Truth(s) - at this point it is pretty obvious that there are different aspects of Truth for every alchemy that come to the gate. It changes in order to fit the owner of the gate. If you think about it - Mustang's Truth is tall, Ed's Truth is a sarcastic pain a$$hole and Al's Truth is nice and polite being.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.