Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chapter 102 "Regular" Discussion Thread For First Time Readers (and Others)
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Manga
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Ropespinner
I'm having the kind of feeling where my world has suddenly collapsed and I know it's the way it had to go.

Other than that, AAAAAARGHHHH!

Also, so many thanks for everyone who helped to provide us the scanlation in such good quality so early, and everyone who provided the title and colour pages and information about when the scans would be released and...

How am I supposed to sleep for the rest of the night?!
Deadbeat007
QUOTE (jacksparrow589 @ Dec 9 2009, 08:00 PM) *
(On a side note: Having seen the Truth, I would assume Roy can perform transmutation without a circle now. This could be useful...)

That's an interesting thought. Also, I like what an above poster said about Roy's "seeing-eye dog," Riza. Just another plot twist, Arakawa-style.
faceplantgirl
QUOTE (Deadbeat007 @ Dec 9 2009, 07:12 PM) *
QUOTE (jacksparrow589 @ Dec 9 2009, 08:00 PM) *
(On a side note: Having seen the Truth, I would assume Roy can perform transmutation without a circle now. This could be useful...)

That's an interesting thought. Also, I like what an above poster said about Roy's "seeing-eye dog," Riza. Just another plot twist, Arakawa-style.

you know thats very true and it would make a whole lot of sense as well. i had also been thinking if Roy doesn't for some reason or another doesn't become the fuhrer, i believe that Olivier would in fact make a wonderful substitute. i have also noticed the lack of how Riza and the others are going to react when they find out and when Roy finally gains his bearings of the situation
Andie
;____________;

I had an inkling this would be Roy's price, but I didn't think Arakawa heartless enough to pull it off.

And damn, if Riza's his 'seeing dog'... talk about a meaningful last name (Hawkeye!). And the design on Mustang's Gate looked a lot like her tattoo!

Damn, I need to go to bed before I start to cry like a baby again ;_; ;_;.
Gimpyhair
I don't know if it's important or not, but what's up with Pride's cheek? http://mangastream.com/read/fullmetal_alchemist/102-9/21
Causmicfire
QUOTE (Gimpyhair @ Dec 9 2009, 07:18 PM) *
I don't know if it's important or not, but what's up with Pride's cheek? http://mangastream.com/read/fullmetal_alchemist/102-9/21

Looks like maybe he's losing his ability to regenerate.

Broken on the wheel--a transmutation circle.

And yes, her name being Hawkeye is why him needing that service would be so ironic.
faceplantgirl
QUOTE (Gimpyhair @ Dec 9 2009, 07:18 PM) *

I believe that means he's falling apart like gluttony was before, he's pretty much dying. his stone is no longer really enough to sustain him. at least that's what it looks like to me
Kirara
This chapter left me speechless and feeling very sorry for our protagonists.

So those of us who mentioned the eye thing were sort of right but he didn't lose one eye, he lost his sight completely. Wow that's cruel. And poor Roy didn't even open the doors of his own free will. But is it horrible that I actually thought well at least there won't be an eye patch.

And then there is Al, after waiting so long for his body and being so close he knows it's not the right time. It shows how incredibly selfless Al is. I love him so much. Still it's true what he says that he couldn't fight with his real body but by going back he is giving in to Father's plans.

Things are not looking too good for our heroes at the moment
Causmicfire
Do we have to continue with spoiler tags since the scanlation is out?

Irena
Oh goodness. ;___________; I knew Roy wouldn't emerge totally unscathed, but man, this certainly complicates things.

I can't help but wonder what Al's body meant when he (it?) said something like "your return will bring nothing but despair and ruin." Will he have to pay some sort of price in order to bring his body away from the gate?
Kirara
@Irena

I thought

Al's body was referring to the fact that Al going back was giving Father exactly what he needed, all 5 sacrifices

And I am not sure if we still need spoiler tags or not. I am just keeping them just in case. I am not that used to the scanlation coming out before the Raw. smile.gif
hawkflame
QUOTE (Irena @ Dec 9 2009, 10:26 PM) *
Oh goodness. ;___________; I knew Roy wouldn't emerge totally unscathed, but man, this certainly complicates things.

I can't help but wonder what Al's body meant when he (it?) said something like "your return will bring nothing but despair and ruin." Will he have to pay some sort of price in order to bring his body away from the gate?

I think it's to be taken to mean that in going back, that means he ends up exactly where Father wants him.

Edit: Damn, beaten to it by Kirara...
Hawthorn
http://mangastream.com/read/fullmetal_alchemist/102-9/31

FANSERVICE! tongue.gif
Winry Rockbell~
QUOTE (Hawthorn @ Dec 9 2009, 09:37 PM) *

Heh, you can see a little bit of Al's treats there. XD
_Jelly
QUOTE (Hawthorn @ Dec 10 2009, 02:37 PM) *

In a creepy sort of way...
Hyperthia
QUOTE (Hawthorn @ Dec 9 2009, 07:37 PM) *

Hehehe... I love Arakawa for that!
But his arms look a bit stubby... like they're too short or something.

Oh well. No good being nit-picky about the art. This was an awesome chapter!
archronos
I wonder how Roy's going to use his alchemy now?
Unless he just decides to nuke the whole place.
jacksparrow589
Oh man... "Hawkeye"... Life makes so much more sense. Now hopefully that actually happens. I'm gonna hurt someone if it doesn't...

Gimpy--Ooooh! Good eye! Perhaps the playing field might not be as uneven as it seems.

Andie--Hmm... There's similarity between the gate and Riza's tattoo? Looking back, that could possibly be seen as massive foreshadowing. (But then again, I'm no expert in the mechanics of alchemy... and I think that similarity was explained before by someone somewhere. And now, if you'll forgive the rather dark humor, talk about being blindsided by the truth...The do say hindsight is always 20/20.
Makika
Even with the traggic Mustang moment, I love this chapter.
I know its a little evil, but I think the truth give the perfect "lesson" to Mustang, its cruel, i know, but fits him.
And after all, he have the "Hawk eye" to support him, to the top.
Other thing, I love Al in this chapter.

Ok, now the wait for the 103 starts... I want it so badly .___.
tigerchic121
AHHHHH.

Okay generally for FMA I curse the month long wait, but these past couple of months the wait has been super hard to handle.

I was totally thrown for a loop with the whole losing his eyesight thing. I guess I just didn't put together the fact that even though he paid his "toll" to the gate (to travel to it) didn't account for what he would lose when he viewed 'Truth' or the inside of the gate. I'm like devastated for him.

But, I was also pretty upset because of Al. I mean now that I've reviewed the chapter his actions weren't exactly surprising because he's too damn selfless and wonderful for his own good but I was still pretty upset because I just wanted him to get his body back already!
hawkflame
QUOTE (Makika @ Dec 9 2009, 10:52 PM) *
Even with the traggic Mustang moment, I love this chapter.
I know its a little evil, but I think the truth give the perfect "lesson" to Mustang, its cruel, i know, but fits him.
And after all, he have the "Hawk eye" to support him, to the top.
Other thing, I love Al in this chapter.

Ok, now the wait for the 103 starts... I want it so badly .___.

Speaking of Hawkeye, it's going to break her heart when she finds out what happened to him...
penguintruth
Using Dr. Goldtooth as "material" and forcing Roy through the gate to see the Truth is a fairly creative idea, but on the other hand it does feel a tad too convenient. Like, why didn't they just do that before? If they could do that to begin with, why wait until people do human transmutation?

Eww, that's a pretty bad end for Dr. Goldtooth. Not that he doesn't deserve it.

I don't see how Scar managed to make it this damn far. The homunculi had ample opportunity to dispose of him for good, and they didn't. Wrath/Bradley still has a lot of oomph left in him, I hope he kills Scar before he dies. Scar's been a non-character for several chapters.

Yikes, Roy's blind? That I did not see coming. But now it's just more focus on his character, and again less on Edward. Come on.

Pride's a little prick, I effing hate him.

I D'AWWed at Alphonse meeting up with his body. And his decision to return in a body he can fight in, instead of the one he's been searching for, is a really touching scene, and probably the best part of this chapter. I can hardly wait to see it animated in Brotherhood.

A good chapter, even though it didn't move things along as much as I'd hoped. GET ON WITH IT, ALREADY!
Turdaewen
Yeah... I don't know. For as cruel as it all may seem... I don't agree with what Father said.

I don't think the truth is cruel in and for itself and that way of thinking will lead to Father's downfall in the end, because Truth is neither good, nor bad and it gives things just as well as it takes.
Which doesn't exactly mean everyone will get 'what they've lost' back, but that the fact that they lost what they've lost is important to make them grow as people, to overcome themselves.

If it wasn't for the Truth, Ed and Al would have never left Resembool and would never have helped all the people they have. So, in a sense, I think Arakawa is very into this dynamics of 'suffering bringing conscience'. And taking that person to the next level.

I don't think Roy being blind will make him not be a proper Fürher: he can rule the country without seeing it. He'll need help, of course, but saying that being blind deprives him of his capacity is just plain prejudice. I actually think it's kinda of a Romantic idea, to have a "blind King', someone who has given up everything he owned for the country. It makes him humble and centered, just like Ed's automail has made him somewhat strong... so, even that 'punishment' can come around as to bring someone what they lacked.

And I don't see any problem with not being Ed centered, since Arakawa doesn't seem to give "priorities" in her mangas to any of her characters. If Roy has been the center for quite sometime, it's because the story needed to make him get to the point of being a full sacrifice and not because 'he's better' or 'make money on it'. For me, Arakawa ALWAYS do everything regarding the story and not making a character appear more or taking the background: they're all there to tell a story and will eventually go back and forth into the spotlight to make it work.
temmy
a;lsdfkjasdlfas;dfjl

Ha. <--- My main reaction.

I have nothing intelligent to add, other than I found the situation rather hysterical. Especially Roy's.

Al's scene broke my heart though.
Full Metal Elf
QUOTE (Turdaewen @ Dec 9 2009, 11:13 PM) *
Yeah... I don't know. For as cruel as it all may seem... I don't agree with what Father said.

I don't think Roy being blind will make him not be a proper Fürher: he can rule the country without seeing it. He'll need help, of course, but saying that being blind deprives him of his capacity is just plain prejudice. I actually think it's kinda of a Romantic idea, to have a "blind King', someone who has given up everything he owned for the country. It makes him humble and centered, just like Ed's automail has made him somewhat strong... so, even that 'punishment' can come around as to bring someone what they lacked.

I agree with you. Just because Roy is blind now, doesn't mean he can't still be Furher, I think he can, and I hope he does. I hope that this doesn't stop Roy from doing anything...and I think he's surrounded by people who will help give him strength. He watched what Ed and Al have gone through and the strength they have to keep going.

I'm really anxious to see how Roy deals with this, assuming it's not something he can gain back.
penguintruth
I guess Judau isn't the only Blind Alchemist.
Hawthorn
Roy won't have to do his piles of paperwork anymore.
Vicious74
The whole "useless Colonel" gag is a whole lot more truthful now. >_> (yay for dark humor )
mandymtt
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGg

WHY ROY WHYYY!!!.... I have to say I am looking forward to the royai scene that set up there. I knows hes blind, but something in me tells me he can get his sight back. It was also a little predictable once you saw him come back in one piece it was either that or his voice or something. damn that was shocking as hell. I'm glad to see Al has grown up so much. In the early chapters he would have taken back that body. But what did the dispair part mean? Will he be stuck that way forever?? Mei kicks [All hail lord Xenu]. Father is still creepy as f*!@. And Pride is a little .....
Kaori Ayanami
QUOTE (penguintruth @ Dec 10 2009, 05:25 AM) *

At least Roy kept his eyes. T_T

QUOTE (Hawthorn @ Dec 10 2009, 05:27 AM) *

Oh, no. He will have to do it... in Braille. XD
jacksparrow589
Just thought of this: Roy might be blind, but isn't it true that people with poor eyesight can train their hearing to be sharper? After, all, as Ling said, a king can't exist without his people. And to be a good leader, Roy needs to be able to listen to what the people want and need, because sometimes, you can't always see it.

And then there's that pesky 520-cenz promise...
penguintruth
Riza can now let herself go a bit. No need to pretty up for Blind Colonel. I can see her gaining some weight, maybe not brushing her hair so much. No makeup.

Oh, hey! Instead of eye patch Mustang from the end of the TV series, Arakawa decided to go one beyond! I guess Mizushima only gets half credit.

I'm full of them today.
hawkflame
QUOTE (Vicious74 @ Dec 9 2009, 11:28 PM) *
The whole "useless Colonel" gag is a whole lot more truthful now. >_> (yay for dark humor )

And with Arakawa's humor, I'm betting it's going to be played for laughs in the omake at some point...

Also... If Al came back with his real body, Mei's dream would have been crushed... again.
RoyxRizaFan4ever
Oh, no. He will have to do it... in Braille. XD

laugh.gif Great one! If only this board had reps/like/whatever else those things are called...
Kaori Ayanami
Mei's dream WILL be crushed anyway, don't you worry about it.
Tombow
Um... does anyone have the link to raw chapter? unsure.gif (Yes, I know the link to scanlation, but I'd like to read the raw chapter also. smile.gif )

We are still missing the RAW chapter. If anyone find the raw, please post. smile.gif
archronos
On a different note, has anyone figured out just what image is usedMustang's gate? I mean Ed and Al's are both based on actual drawings so it makes sense that Mustang's would be too.

Mustang's Gate

It looked a bit like the Caduceus to me
Caduceus
DistantBlue
Damn.

Damn.

I...I really don't know how to feel.

I'm having the kind of feeling where my world has suddenly collapsed and I know it's the way it had to go.

And this is why.

My initial reaction is that this was just too cruel for even Arakawa.

"Eyes of the Hawk" "loyal dog" "useless colonel" "watch my back" "follow me"

I can't decide if I like this cold, dark irony to everything or not.

Especially since out of the other sacrifices besides Hohenheim, he was the only one who was well-intentioned AND refused to give into transmutation - only because he was fortunate enough to learn from the consequences of Al and Ed's actions. And this happens, heh heh.

I guess from looking back at earlier volumes, my opinion is that while all these themes fit into this in an ironic way, the overall mood and vibe I got from his story didn't make me feel it would appear to sum up to such a dark conclusion. It's not for sure, of course - but like I said, everything fits in too well for it too be likely for him to get his sight back.

Again, this is just my first reaction, so later on and into next chapters this will easily change.

Speaking of Hawkeye, it's going to break her heart when she finds out what happened to him...

Ah. Forgot about that.

I don't think even Arakawa can make it a surprise that she will most likely be devastated and blame herself.

MOVING ON.

About Al, HOLY CRAP.

That scene is now my favorite. (I know. "This is a Roy/Riza/Royai fan and THIS is her favorite scene over Ch.___?" LOL)

Everyone else has described my thoughts perfectly.

EDIT: LOL, despite myself I keep laughing at your posts, penguintruth. XD
Vicious74
QUOTE (penguintruth @ Dec 10 2009, 04:25 AM) *

I think a second Blind Alchemist OVA is in order.
Kaori Ayanami
I saw this at Mangahelpers forums:
QUOTE ("Banedor")
QUOTE ("CrimsonBlitz")
[..] Al had the chance to get his body when he went through it [the gate]

Yes I know that, but I mean why did HE get the option? Ed and Inzuma(sp?) both went through at the same time and both went there without the choice.
I think I have an answer: maybe it's because Ed and Izumi, though both lost something to the gate, kept most of their bodies, so they are more attached to them that to whatever they left. Al, on the other hand, lost his ENTIRE body. It's obvious the "pull" to what he left was much stronger (remember Barry the Chopper). Either that, or everybody got their own choice but Arakawa decided not to show it in order not to bore the readers. sleep.gifU
penguintruth
Alphonse's body looks like Howard Hughes at the end of his life. Somebody check around him for jars of urine.
jacksparrow589
DistantBlue--Things were (and are) way beyond either Roy or Riza's control. I'd hope she'd be level-headed enough to realize that this isn't her fault beyond passing on the secret of flame alchemy, which she did only to help Roy further his dream. While I'm sure she knew there were risks, I'm sure neither of them were thinking anything quite like how things have turned out. It would be disappointing if she blamed herself fully, though she did choose to follow Mustang... but I'm not saying Roy deserves his current situation, nor am I saying Riza should feel solely responsible. (I know you probably didn't mean "solely responsible", but I have to cover all my bases, here.) They both gave it their all, and in the end, it was mostly the things they couldn't control that made this happen. I'm sure there will be a "I failed--My best wasn't enough," moment, but to me, that's more on the order of being dissappointed in oneself than claiming responsibility for something one could have done, but didn't.
FMAobsessed
That chapter was just wow! I have no intelligent thoughts to share about it yet, in the morning I will though.

I feel bad for Mustang, but I don't think everything in his life will become hopelss.

Al, oh Al, he just broke my heart. Al has got to be the most selfless 14 year old in manga history.
Irena
So, does anybody have any theories as to why Pride seemed to be having trouble regenerating? It wasn't just on his face; you can seehis shadow-tentacle thingies starting to disintegrate in the background as well. Maybe absorbing people and using them has a negative effect on him in the long run? :/
Levive
That's Arakawa-sensei for you! Evil author strikes again. That was totally unexpected (at least for me) And I'm still quite shocked. And since I'm 100% convinced that Alphonse will get his body back, I cheer on his decision! Go for it, Al!

And Hawkeye, and Blind Alchemist... isn't it all a bit ironic?
zonkiethegreat
OMG........WOW.......................WOW........................HOLy CRAP................ROY!!!!! I knew something would be done with his eyes. And wow I don't know how I feel about Alphonse rejecting his body!! I almost cried when his body said "your home". WOW......just CRAZY...
black~hayate
I am quite stunned...
The behavior of Alphonse was rly awesome. That's how you need take care of your friends.
Roy's little problem is... omg... I mean, it's not like I am really mad or depressed or something, I'm just a little shocked.
Kale Mustang
In thinking about the chapter more, Roy losing his sight definitely makes a ton of sense - despite it probably being one of the harshest things that could be taken away.

With Roy, his eyes were always the focal point, not so much as his hands, but his eyes. Most of his emotion is usually shown with his eyes in a physical sense, but it's his true self that's always been revealed through them:

- In order to attack and pinpoint his attacks, he's needed to see his targets

- He's always been looking at the bigger picture and for the truth

- He's looked after those under his care

- Despite the toll that Ishval took on him, he's always looked forward and has kept his focus on one thing - becoming Fuhrer.

Even when everything seemed to go downhill, he's still looking forward to make all of the wrongs right.
angelofsarcasm89
Roy...Was the page with him stumbling and then falling the most heartbreaking thing anyone else has seen in awhile? T_T
Perrito
QUOTE (Hawthorn @ Dec 9 2009, 11:27 PM) *

Hawkeye will make him learn braille.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.