Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "mock The Week" & Other British Quiz Shows
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Movies, TV Shows, & Other Videos
lunneth
mock the week is a british based quiz panel show where the contestants essentially mock the news headlines of the week.
it includes rounds where they take the inicials of news headlines and come up with funny suggestions for what they stand for, to dubbing over voices of footage of members of the royal family or parliament. probably the most famously used lines in thatg type of round was hugh dennis dubbing...i think it was prince charles's voice and saying "do you have any cheese?" and constantly enquiring this in different ways. then there's the all famous "scene's we'd like to see" where a scene is sugested and the contestants come in with short improvised snipets of that scene. (guys feel free to tell me a better way of saying this please)

if you want to see some of it go to youtube and simply type it in.
Popogeejo
Before you go check it out be warned it can be rather rude. Frankie Boyle single handedly makes it NWS but he's gone now.

It's a fun show but pretty weak for UK panel shows. Still, you get a lot more of it than 'Have I got News for you' or QI (both of which are brilliant) and it's pretty consistent unlike Nevermind the Buzzcocks which is all over the place quality wise.

Also, Dara O'brien and Russel(sp?) Howard are the best parts of the show.
lunneth
i'll admit russel howard is hilarious. i got live dingledodies for my birthday rcently. and yeah it can be very rude. and when i heard frankie boyle was going i was shocked but he was racist so i guess it was needed. yar. time to edit the main info me thinks.
A Pierrot's Aria
I like 'Mock the Week', but I don't think it beats 'Have I Got News for You.' But I've got to admit, 'Mock the Week' has some brilliant laugh-out-loud moments; it's definitely worth a watch! xD
lunneth
i would say exactly what you said but instead of saying mock the week isn't as good i would say that for hignfy
Chiyo
Can we please buck up our Grammer?

I for one do not find Mock the Week all that funny and far prefer "Have I Got News for You". By far however QI for me outstrips them all.
Popogeejo
OI is rubbish. QI is much better.
But yeah, HIGNFY and QI stand well above Mock. Buzzcocks has just bombed but still has it's moments.
I miss "They think it's all over" even if it was just Wossy being a complete tit.
Chiyo
Popo - I blew my Grammer rant with that didn't I?

Shooting Stars, now that was insane. Started off mellow in comparison to how it ended. Just as with Buzzcocks, lost it after Mark Lamarr left.

Lunneth - so we don't end up with many dead threads (like General Music), I'm going to change this to a thread about British Quiz shows...and remove a few "haha's".
lunneth
QUOTE (Chiyo @ Dec 11 2009, 12:46 PM) *
Popo - I blew my Grammer rant with that didn't I?

Shooting Stars, now that was insane. Started off mellow in comparison to how it ended. Just as with Buzzcocks, lost it after Mark Lamarr left.

Lunneth - so we don't end up with many dead threads (like General Music), I'm going to change this to a thread about British Quiz shows...and remove a few "haha's".

fair do's. i was just rushing when i typed the ha's.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.