Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "I'm Not a fan" listing for people who dislike Riza. (Riza fans, please kindly stay away. :)
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > FMA Character Discussions
Winry Rockbell~
<Reminder: This thread is a "safe harbor" thread for people who are not fans of Riza Hawkeye, where you can safely declare that you are NOT a fan of Riza Hawkeye, WITHOUT Riza fans posting rebuttal such as "How come you can not love this awesome character!!" etc., etc. Please feel free to declare that you're not-a-fan of this character, and discuss your reasoning for the dislike of the character, etc., on this thread. smile.gif

HOWEVER.. as are all our "safe harbor" threads, we ask you NOT to take the advantage of the "safe harbor" status, and use this thread as a place for your bashing and trashing, in this case, of Riza and other FMA characters or fans of Riza and other FMA characters. In particular, please observe NO BASHING/TRASHING of Riza fans/Royai fans on this thread.

Please note that there's a distinction between a) explaining your reasoning for the dislike, and b) outright bashing & trashing of the character, and reminder that the latter is highly discouraged on our board. Please try to keep this as a "discussion" thread, and not a "bash fest." smile.gif Thank you. ~ Board staff>

----------------------------

I've never liked Riza myself, becaue I've never liked the "badass, strong women that bottle up their emotions and kill" kind of people. It's just not my cup of tea.

Discuss your reasons why you dislike Riza.
fmadiva
It's somethings good about her but she can be boring sometimes and she not really important to me. I personally I like Winry better.
zonkiethegreat
LOL..I don't hate Riza, but I still don't understand "Royai" or the fascination with Riza as a character. She's just too boring for me, and although she might have an interesting past, it hasn't really been explored in depth at all. I guess Royai fans take that into their own interpretations, which is fine. Personally, I like Winry, I don't think she is annoying like others do, even though I understand why she could be.

I think Winry is an emotionally strong character, whereas Riza is the opposite. Riza is mostly strong physically, and a great sniper. However, when it comes to emotions, Riza hides them, and whenever someone provokes her, (like Lust implying to her that Mustang is dead) she breaks down and totally loses it. To me, as a woman, that is NOT a strong enough character. She basically wanted to commit suicide, and I just don't see any strength, or romance in that at all, hence why I don't care about Royai or Riza. I think she is just too emo, and too boring. That's about it.

As for the "bad-arse" aspect, Olivier wins in that category. THAT is a VERY strong female! I like her much more.

I know this all sounds biased, since I'm a fan of Roy/Win, but this is just how I've always felt about Riza as a character. And probably why I can't seem to like Royai, no matter what I do.
FailToImpress
QUOTE (zonkiethegreat @ Feb 21 2010, 05:20 PM) *
I think Winry is an emotionally strong character, whereas Riza is the opposite. Riza is mostly strong physically, and a great sniper. However, when it comes to emotions, Riza hides them, and whenever someone provokes her, (like Lust implying to her that Mustang is dead) she breaks down and totally loses it. To me, as a woman, that is NOT a strong enough character.

Hm, you make a good point. I hadn't really thought of it like that before.
Sannom
I have remarked that the most combat-ready women in that manga, notably Riza and Ran Fan, seem to be emotionally fragile, and a little bit too much "dependant" on their man for my taste huh.gif The most solid, supportive ones are women like Winry, Gracia, Izumi, Trisha, Pinako and Olivia. Except for that last one, they all have traits of the "housewife". And Olivia, while certainly not the romantic type, is extremely protective of her men, and could fit the "housewife" trope... is Arakawa expressing some of her opinions there???
angelofsarcasm89
QUOTE (Sannom @ Mar 7 2010, 03:40 PM) *
I have remarked that the most combat-ready women in that manga, notably Riza and Ran Fan, seem to be emotionally fragile, and a little bit too much "dependant" on their man for my taste huh.gif

When you think about how their pasts must have been, that actually makes a lot of sense for them.
Riza's mother either died or there was another reason for her to be entirely out of the picture by the time her father died, so she probably didn't grow up with a lot of love and support. Roy showing up to study was probably the first time in a long time she'd been around someone who actually seemed to care about her. It's no wonder she'd be so absorbed with him.
Lan Fan was probably raised to be dependent on Ling. I imagine they'd had her training to be his bodyguard since she was born, and drilled it into her that Ling was the most important thing to her, and she had to protect him with her life, and all kinds of stuff like that. It's not surprising that she would end up falling in love with him under circumstances like those.

(Sorry, I know your sign says Riza fans keep out, but I couldn't help myself. I don't want to fight, I just thought Sannom's post was really interesting and made a good point I hadn't thought about yet.)
Bella22
Hi, personally i feel that she is a weak character not physically but emotionally as she doesn't express her feelings when it comes to Roy and thats what i don't like about them as a pairing. I feel that their relationship is a bit too master dog in the sense she trails him too much which at work she does have to do being Roys aid but i feel that this is conveyed all the time in the plot. In a sense she doesn't seem Roys equal. Just a perception not offence to anyone smile.gif
Tombow
^ Welcome to our board, Bella22! smile.gif

<Reminder to Riza fans>

Let me remind here again, especially to Riza fans, that this thread is where some FMA fans who is not fan of Riza can express their views and opinions on this FMA character, and it is quite possible that what's being expressed here may not be agreeable to some other FMA fans, especial Riza fans, but please refrain from posting rebuttal here, and give those "anti-fans" their own space where they can express their disliking of the character safely. Please remember that this is "safe-harbor" thread, and is NOT a "debate" thread. Thank you!! smile.gif

...Should anyone wish to have such "debates/discussions" on this character, we can create one where both sides (so to speak ^^) can exchange views and opinions and rebuttals on the same thread. (Actually, I think we currently have one such thread going for Riza, with somewhat narrower thread topic parameter and we can probably expand that thread and create "full-time" Riza debate thread.)

ETA: It's done. ^^ And hence, from now on....
Anyone who wish to "debate" about this character, please post all such discussions on Riza Hawkeye Character Debate thread. smile.gif

----------

<Reminder to anti-Riza FMA fans>:

This thread is a "safe harbor" thread for people who are not fans of Riza Hawkeye, where you can safely declare that you are NOT a fan of Riza Hawkeye, WITHOUT Riza fans posting rebuttal such as "How come you can not love this awesome character!!" etc., etc. Please feel free to declare that you're not-a-fan of this character, and discuss your reasoning for the dislike of the character, etc., on this thread. smile.gif

HOWEVER.. as are all our "safe harbor" threads, we ask you NOT to take the advantage of the "safe harbor" status, and use this thread as a place for your outright bashing and trashing of the FMA character, or fans of such character, in this case, of Riza and other FMA characters or fans of Riza and other FMA characters. In particular, please observe NO BASHING/TRASHING of Riza fans/Royai fans on this thread.

Please also note that since we now have a "Riza debate" thread where we can discuss this FMA character in depth, if the post has more than simple statement on the poster's dislike of this character but posters further views and analysis of this character, we are now re-directing such posts to Riza debate thread where others can also join for further discussions on your analysis of the character.
Thank you.

----

<Program Note>

@Misty- Nala - Accordingly, I moved your post to Riza debate thread where others can join in on further discussions on your analysis of this character. But, if you did not intend to have such further discussions on this, I apologize and please let me know so that I can delete your post there, and then please feel free to repost here with your simple statement of your dislike of this character. ^^
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.