Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anime That Could Have Been Good But Ended Up Sucking
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Anime
Disasterpiece
Code Geass.

Interesting story, but the whole supermodel-body type, serious for the sake of being serious mood, bimbo characters, and rich kids who think their lives are hard turned me off.

on the flip side, this anime had so much potential, it could have been darker and grittier like Gundam Wing and Death Note combined, or something like that.

...don't axe me ._.
Jealous Rogo
I'm not easily impressed so I have a few of these

Lucky Star

When this was pitched to me as a fun show with lots of anime and video game references I was like 'wow that sounds awesome'. Then I watched it and I was dissappointed from the outset, after an annoying opening song, we get to watch girls sit around talking about how to eat different types of food. This was NOT how the show was pitched to me. Maybe I could've found enjoyment in it if it hadn't been so ridiculously over hyped by all my friends. I wish people wouldn't put so much stock in the cutesy designs and actually realise what they're watching was about as interesting and funny as watching paint dry. Only thing that saved it was the Lucky Channel at the end of each episode. And those are all on YouTube.

This Ugly Yet Beautiful World

This show looked really interesting. It looked like it would be a show where we get action, romance and philosophy all rolled into one. Well in reality we got tiny amounts of action that seemed to come up whenever they remembered it, a few half-assed bits of philosophy thrown in here and there that were about as profound as 'PEEPOL R BAD' and a HUGE amount of romance that I didn't particularly care for. This wasn't a love triangle like say... Shakugan no Shana where the girl whose obviously going to end up with the guy behaves like a b*tch about it most of the time, no this was just... bland. Also any apocalypse started by the reason it's started here, is never going to do well for me.

Hellsing (Original)

People often bemoaned remakes of series but if any series desperately needed to get a second shot, it was Hellsing. The original was just... perplexing. Starting with the opening which was kinda quirky and cool but didn't fit the mood very well and featured heavily a dog which made NO appearance in the series. Then you have the ending which is possibly the best sign that the director was a gibbering monkey, cause it was completely out of place. Notice I haven't even got around to the actual series yet? Bad animation, toned down violence, complete removal of everything interesting there was about the story and almost every character got changed in some way. I think the single worst moment of terrible is the episode where Integra's sister turns up, and then about fifteen minutes later, Integra remembers she has no sister.

Thank god for the OVAs

Basquash

Quite a recent example. There are certain things that turn me off in Anime, and one of them is excessive fanservice, especially when that fanservice is snuck in on you. I'm referring to series where they have really interesting ideas and then for no reason BAM massive balloon boobs everywhere. I'm not a robot, I get WHY it's there but it's freaking annoying. It's like whenever you watch a serious drama and they throw in an explicit sex scene, you know it's just there because sex sells. On top of that throw in that I'm not overly fond of mecha shows to begin with, I quickly lost interest in Basquash. Shame because the concepts within the show were interesting enough and the second opening is just awesome, but yeah... it was hard to see past the giant balloon boobs.

Higurashi no naku koro ni rei

Now I shall start this by maybe expressing how much I love Higurashi and even how much I love Umineko (it's runty, slightly insane little brother). I love them more than I love some of my own family. They are a beacon of originality in a see of slice of life shows, mechas and shounen. While not as good as FMA in my opnion, my love for them will never be deminished. They are perfect little complete stories that force you to think (with Umineko really, really not making it easy for you). It's the sort of series you can watch over and over, and still see something new and go 'oooooooh I SEE'. That's why when I noticed they'd started making Rei my first thought was 'oh god no'. Yes I'm a pessemist but as interesting as it might be to see these characters in different situations, it had no relevent to the plot. It just felt like bad fanfiction in places as well. For example, the stupid games and perversion of some of teh characters was tolerable and indeed relevent when in the over-arching plot, in Rei it was not relevent and just annoyed me. Only episodes 2 and 3 sparked an interest, the rest could go hang for all I care.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzamiya

I'm not even gonna mention endless eight. I dunno, for me this series felt like one that had an interesting story to tell and then... kept going.
Seriously the logical end of that plot was like episode eight from what I recall. It didn't really need to keep going after that. The worst thing that could've happened from what I could tell, happened and was resolved. Yes of course their lives kept going but I don't need to see it, it just comes off a strange. The last episode of series one was particularly perplexing. Watching someone read a book for fifty per cent of an episode is not my idea of fun. I think what bothered me here is it went from an interesting show to a slice of life show rather quickly. Yeah it's got a unique twist but it's not unique enough to sell it to me. Also it's a serious case of over-frickin-hyped. I also question how popular this show would've been without the ending sequence. Hmm?

There are probably loads more, I'm pretty cynical, but that's all I can remember for now.

*wonders if there's a 'great series' thread he can balance out the hate with a post there*

Forsaken Love
O_O code geass is epic! One of my favourite all time animes, I like totally disagree with you XD In my opinion potentially good anime are both fma's *shot by practically everyone on this forum* anime1 i guess is excusable since it was made when the manga was very young but gawd urgh, as for brohood its waaaaay better than anime1 but has so many irritating flaws like all the cutting and bizarre pacing, what could have been the perrrfect anime, an anime without fillers and doing it's manga absoloute justice, turned out pretty mediocre and imo a little unable to stand on its own without the backing from the manga, but that's just my opinion, it doesnt suck just a dissopointment

Other anime...mmm I allways wished both fruba and ouran, particually fruba followed their mangas as the mangas are awesome, and DN Angel anime sucked compared to the manga, allthough the awfully long hiatuses for DN angel give it an excuse, aaaand claymore anime ending sucked...and soul eater
Deadbeat007
I found the ending of FMA-1 sort of out-there and uncanny. Didn't enjoy it as much as I'd enjoyed the beginning of the series. The ending of Soul Eater, as much as I love the series, was pretty blunt... I'd loved to have seen more. The manga is ongoing, so maybe they'll continue the anime at some point.

And I agree about making a "Best anime endings" thread... I'm sure everyone has a lot of favorites.
Jealous Rogo
QUOTE (Forsaken Love @ Dec 6 2009, 08:46 AM) *
O_O code geass is epic! One of my favourite all time animes, I like totally disagree with you XD In my opinion potentially good anime are both fma's *shot by practically everyone on this forum* anime1 i guess is excusable since it was made when the manga was very young but gawd urgh, as for brohood its waaaaay better than anime1 but has so many irritating flaws like all the cutting and bizarre pacing, what could have been the perrrfect anime, an anime without fillers and doing it's manga absoloute justice, turned out pretty mediocre and imo a little unable to stand on its own without the backing from the manga, but that's just my opinion, it doesnt suck just a dissopointment

Other anime...mmm I allways wished both fruba and ouran, particually fruba followed their mangas as the mangas are awesome, and DN Angel anime sucked compared to the manga, allthough the awfully long hiatuses for DN angel give it an excuse, aaaand claymore anime ending sucked...and soul eater

See when it comes to adaptions of mangas that are on-going, that is to say all of them, I'm fairly leniant. I say so long as the series manages to capture the original feel of the source material and come up with a way to keep the stroy wrapped up, all is good. FMA Series 1, whilst containing some massive, glaring flaws, especially towards the end, managed to put together a coherent story with very little. They actually raise interesting thoughts and questions on the meaning of humanity, which is completely in-keeping with FMA. All it really failed to do was keep the humor going, and sort of gave up on it half way through. Resulting in the series being criticised for being over-dramatic.

The reason I didn't pick on FMA 1 and to some extent Ouran High Host Club is because I honestly enjoyed them when I watched them. They felt complete to me and like decent series. Compare that with Hellsing where I somewhat enjoyed it until the end where things just got bland and samey and forgettable.

That being said I feel bad for picking on Hellsing, and indeed on any anime that's an adaption, because it's not an easy thing to do. It's a tightrope walk over two bear pits. One contains the fanbase who expect 100% retelling of everything right down the last detail. The other contains casual fans who want to be entertained. Add on top of that a massive weight on the back of budget and I'd like to see anyone do a 100% perfect job. ESPECIALLY when you've got so little source material to go on it's unreal.

Also I suspect most anime based on mangas or video games or light novels or whatever, are really just extended adverts for said things. Maybe I'm just cynical but hell, FMA 1 worked didn't it?

Deadbeat007 I agree with the bluntness of Soul Eater's ending and am really perplexed as to what went on there. I mean that series was so near perfect in it's adaption of the Manga until just after the capture of BREW. It's like someone left them alone for a few months then came running in screaming and yelling for them to for the love of god stop because they only had 51 episodes to wrap it all up in. That being said, as blunt at the ending was, I still enjoyed it. Yeah it was basically like watching someone scream ideas at you whilst drinking coffee, it still entertained. And Asura came off as so goddam creepy it was unreal.

angelstar2408
Naruto and One Piece.

Although it hasn't ended yet... it's starting to make me feel boring... it wan't able to sustain the excitement. And the issue is it's toooooo long that's the reason why it's kinda boring already. tongue.gif laugh.gif
Tombow
<Program Note>

@Exceemn09 - Your post was taken out. Please stop making spam-offtopic postings.
Reffer Lift
Shangri-la

The whole idea was amazing, and it was all around really good for the most part, but then then ending came and messed things up. >.< Great anime, terrible ending.

Allison & Lillia

If you are someone that only watches the first 13 episodes and not the rest, well, then you are a very smart someone. The anime should of ended with the first 13, and not do the 13 more. It was practically fanservice, and was extremely disappointing, considering that episode 13 actually made me cry because the emotion was so well conveyed. The last 13 episodes were like, "OMG ALLISON HAS A DAUGHTER AND WIL'S THE FATHER! NO WAI! AND WHAT'S THIS? HER NEW BOYFRIEND IS ACTUALLY WIL IN DISGUISE? OMGOMGOMG NO WAI! AND TREIZE IS TWIN!?!? (ha ha, irony. tongue.gif) AND NO WAI, LILLIA AND TREIZE FALL IN LOVE!" Yes, that's pretty much what happens.

Xam'd: Lost Memories

Ok, this one also falls under the "great anime, terrible ending" heading. The action was great, the story was very well done, but then Bones decided to randomly throw in a timeskip and MAGICALLY Akiyuki comes back after being in STONE for nine years for some unexplained reason. Oh wait, I know why, HE HAD TO BACK TO HIS LOVE! *insert Armstron sparkles here* Oh yeah, and it also had an exact same event that the InuYasha manga had, as told in this avatar I made:

And I think that avatar also sums up InuYasha. tongue.gif
Popogeejo
I'd contest Haruhi as being a good anime that took a horrible nose dive. Hopefully the movie will fix this. The books are still fun though.

Throwing support to Code Geass being a good idea with terrible execution. R2 doesn't even deserve the train wreck status most people give it to justify watching it.

Mai Otome would be this if the original idea wasn't already pretty bad but Mai Hime gave me hope. Sadly such hope was false and Otome was a shambling joke.

Maybe controversial but Higurashi is kind of in this zone for me. I enjoyed both series but season one was ugly and the end of season 2 was kind of goofy which was a shame. Stiff good but not as good as it could have been.

Lucky Star would be my main shout though. I'm a big girl and I enjoy slice of Life shows and I also enjoy nerdy in-jokes and shout-outs but LS just failed on every level. People say it got better after ep 4 (at which point they changed director) but to it it just became a different type of bad.
First 4 eps had major pacing issues and those followed afterwards. They had no idea how to convert a 4 panel comic to a half hour format. Later episodes didn't know how to use the main cast (Miyuki essentially falls off the Earth and has less time than side characters) and the secondary cast should have been brought in far sooner and maybe used in place of the main girls at times. Also the attempts at emotional moments just seemed horribly contrived.

K-on was also a poor showing but not nearly to the same degree.
Little Washu
QUOTE (Popogeejo @ Dec 9 2009, 03:46 PM) *
Maybe controversial but Higurashi is kind of in this zone for me. I enjoyed both series but season one was ugly and the end of season 2 was kind of goofy which was a shame. Stiff good but not as good as it could have been.

I actually liked the art in season one, it may not have had the best proportions, but it was unique. As for season two, I agree with the end thing. I thought it was anticlimactic, and not serious enough. Rei was a good OVA, as far as a "What if..." situation goes. Though, 1 and 5 of Rei were quite funny.
Aazadan
Kampfer. I think it gets the award for the shortest time taken to tank an anime. In the season (and likely series) finale, they completely destroyed all the previous episodes and did something that's weird even by weird japanese standards. I can't even bring myself to read the manga or light novels (not that they're translated) now... even with the storylines being different.
fmaexpert
the sacred blacksmith

it was so good- the animation was good, the story was interesting, ect. but then the ending came and it was just.... crap ._. no explanations, no conclusions, no nothing! if it didnt end like that, i'm pretty sure it would have gotten pretty far.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.