Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FMA Character Q&A: Question about FMA character? Post here!
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > FMA Character Discussions
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Molecular Alchemist
*sigh....hangs head in shame* Alas, I too have a question...a question that needs answering, but it involves episodes beyond what adult swim has shown, so please only read the question if you have seen the whole series....or if you have general curiosity smile.gif

When was Rose pregent and with whom was that baby with? all that she would talk about was her dead boyfriend and here she is with a BABY at the end of the show...can someone explain that to me, please
Tombow
@Molecular Alchemist -
Someone theorized and posted in other thread, though I don't remember which one, that:
Rose might have been raped, possibly by some solder(s) during the Lior uprising and following military involvement there. Or, she could have been taking care of an orphaned baby or something??
FullMetalFan#1
Is Light actually a Homunculious, cause he is 400 yrs old like Dante
Automne
^^ Well, you see there was a thread.

And no, Hoho is not an homunculus or he wouldn't have had a son since homunculi can't procreate. Hoho created the Philosopher's Stone and, with it, he and Dante transmuted their souls in other bodies to live forever but, each time they change body, their souls are dying and their bodies are rotting: "Equivalent Exchange" to quote Ed.
FullMetalFan#1
QUOTE (SinLuxuria @ Feb 4 2006, 04:16 PM) *
^^ Well, you see there was a thread.

And no, Hoho is not an homunculus or he wouldn't have had a son since homunculi can't procreate. Hoho created the Philosopher's Stone and, with it, he and Dante transmuted their souls in other bodies to live forever but, each time they change body, their souls are dying and their bodies are rotting: "Equivalent Exchange" to quote Ed.
ok thnax for the info LOL
Popogeejo
any explaination as to why gluttony and lust had such a bond?

Glyttony is in all respects a child.Lust became a mother figure to him.
fullmetalalchemist27
O_o sorry to ask these questions and i bet if i looked around enough that i would find out but.........

how did Ed's mom die?
I've heard that it was because all the things that Ed and Al transmuted had to have a price
I've also heard that it was because the father of Ed left and it slowly wore her down.
or it could be something totaly different but um if someone else asked this question then um... can you say the answer?

one more question....
what is fossil disease and what does it do? blink.gif

sorry..... i read about it but it didnt really make any sense to me.... ph34r.gif
Popogeejo
Ed's Mum died from a plauge according to the Manga.

Fossil Disease isn't real as far as I know but it looks like it causes all the cells to calcifiy (turn to bone)
simplicityho
Right, so from this forum and Wikipedia, it seems somehow that Rose got raped, can anyone explain?
Tombow
@simplicityho - Welcome to the board!! smile.gif

Yes she did, most likely military solder(s) sent to Lior to control the civil unrest.

Next time, if you got similar FMA questions, please post on this thread, and that will spare making a new thread. smile.gif
simplicityho
Thanks for the welcome. smile.gif
Um....any....proof? Or is it just speculation?
Tombow
Since the actual scene was not shown, I say speculation. smile.gif
simplicityho
But where did the speculation come from? I mean, there must have been some remark or action that set people thinking.
Tombow
In the anime, Dante told Ed, in front of Rose, that Rose was raped by the solder(s)(in one of the episode toward the ending of the series) and the traumatic experience made Rose to stop speaking since then.
I said "speculation" only because I shouldn't believe everything Dante said just because she said so, but in this case, it's likely the truth, I think.

Wait, have you seen the series through ep 51?? Well, just in case you haven't seen the episode, I'll put the answer in the spoiler. Please highlight to read the content. smile.gif
simplicityho
Finally....thanks!
Chiyo
QUOTE(simplicityho @ Apr 22 2006, 12:50 PM) [snapback]384678[/snapback]

Thanks for the welcome. smile.gif
Um....any....proof? Or is it just speculation?

The baby is an ever so subtle hint too
Nil-chan
^^ lol, yeah.
@Tombow: Where Dante says that, is it in the sub or dub? or both, because i don't recall that in the sub...
Chiyo
I don't think she directly says it....she suggest something horrid happened to Rose and Ed figures it out for himself (again the baby helps him out).
Tombow
@Chiyo and Nil-chan - You guys/ladies are absolutely correct!! smile.gif
Dante only "inferred" the rape by saying that the terrible thing has happened. I stand corrected. ^^
Connor*_*
~ Question On Maria Ross, why needed to fake her death? ~

I have just started reading the manga again and I cannot recall why mustang had to fake a killing of Ross. Can you answer this please?
DefStatic
Well, I was a bit confused on that too at first. I just started to read the manga last week, I think I am all caught up now, I have read up to chapter 73, not sure if I can go any farther yet.

Basically, Ross was fake killed because Central put the killing of Hughes on her, and pretty much had sentenced her and everything, without her ever even having a trial. She had a alibi that you could put holes in, and had fired a shot from her gun recently (even though we know Fallman was there I think and she shot at Barry the Chopper). Basically, she was going to be the militarys scapegoat to cover up the Hughes murder.

So Mustang had to get her out.
Tombow
@Connor*_* - I think DefStatic has answered your question nicely, and not much else to add. (BTW, I added Spoiler Alart to the thread title so that others will be warned of spoiler.)

I will come back in a while and close the thread later. smile.gif
Amethyst Sunset
I just have to add - it wasn't Falman who was with Ross when they shot at Barry the Chopper; it was Brosh, and he was also barred from the investigation, because if he gives his testimony Ross can instantly be cleared.

And she's not exactly the military's scapegoat...more of the Homunculi's scapegoat, used to lead Roy and pretty much everyone else down a false trail and keep them from finding out the real identity of Hughes' murderer.

*leaves* Sorry 'bout the intrusion. ^^;;;
AA battery
And to think that single bullet would lead to this! I always wondered if Arakawa already planned that out since chapter 13 (? right chapter number I hope, the chapter where Ross' bullet was used)!!!

sorry about the intrusion as well :x
Tombow
@Amethyst Sunset and AA battery - No no, I'm the one being stand corrected. Those are all good informations. Thanks!! happy.gif

Hence, I'm going to keep this thread open a bit longer in case there are more discussions. ^^
DefStatic
QUOTE(Amethyst Sunset @ Jul 28 2007, 06:39 PM) *
I just have to add - it wasn't Falman who was with Ross when they shot at Barry the Chopper; it was Brosh, and he was also barred from the investigation, because if he gives his testimony Ross can instantly be cleared.

And she's not exactly the military's scapegoat...more of the Homunculi's scapegoat, used to lead Roy and pretty much everyone else down a false trail and keep them from finding out the real identity of Hughes' murderer.

*leaves* Sorry 'bout the intrusion. ^^;;;

I had a feeling it wasn't Fallman. I have a hard time with some of their names at that point. I remember Fury and Havock and Hawkeye, the rest are kind of blended, LOL.

And I guess at that point in the book, you could call it the Humunculi's scapegoat, but by the time you get to 73, I feel more apt to blame the entire powers that be of the Military.
rikuskey
On: Question On Maria Ross, why needed to fake her death?

envy transformed into her before killing ah...Huges i think it was... then he changed into his wife and shot him. They found evidence that Ross had killed him and the military put her in jail until exicution. (sry bout spelling) Roy, however, knew that she wasn't the criminal and was possibly a homunculous that killed Huges. So he faked her death so that she could get away and still live until the true culprit is found. This is what I gathered. Hope this helps you.
Connor*_*
On: Question On Maria Ross, why needed to fake her death?

Sorry about not posting in this again...I was away for the week.

And thanks all for the overview. I recall now.

Also sorry about not putting the spoiler warning.
The random alchemist
~ Question on Number 48's body: Where are they? ~

I'm sure this topic can be tossed into another but I'll say it anyway.

After reading volume 3 recently I thought about a fact that hadn't been discuss conserning The Slicer Brothers.

Now if anyone remembers, one thing that seperate the manga and anime is that soul bounds (attaching a soul to an object) only works if the body is still alive somewhere. We know that Al's body is in the gate and that Barry's was falling apart in a cage but what dare happened to the slicers'? Did they have the same lab rat fate as Barry's flesh or did Arakawa not decide this fact til after the first few volumes?

Sensenic
QUOTE (The curious alchemist @ Sep 24 2007, 10:35 PM) *
~ Question on Number 48's body: Where are they? ~

After reading volume 3 recently I thought about a fact that hadn't been discuss conserning The Slicer Brothers.

Now if anyone remembers, one thing that seperate the manga and anime is that soul bounds (attaching a soul to an object) only works if the body is still alive somewhere. We know that Al's body is in the gate and that Barry's was falling apart in a cage but what dare happened to the slicers'? Did they have the same lab rat fate as Barry's flesh or did Arakawa not decide this fact til after the first few volumes?

My guess is they were probably in some of the many other cages the hommunculi kept for chimeras and the like, just like the one Barry's body was in, or the ones we see in Dorchett's one-panel flashback.
The moment they were killed by lust and Envy the bodies died, probably, so no point in making them appear.
\( u_u)/
The random alchemist
I got a question that the wikipedia article on FMA inspired: We all know that in the anime Envy was once a man so many consider him well... a him. HOWEVER in the manga its suggested that he (and maybe other homunculus) are genderless.

So is Envy male or nothing in the Manga?
Alchemical
QUOTE(The random alchemist @ Dec 26 2007, 01:16 PM) *
I got a question that the wikipedia article on FMA inspired: We all know that in the anime Envy was once a man so many consider him well... a him. HOWEVER in the manga its suggested that he (and maybe other homunculus) are genderless.

According to the profile books, Envy's a female in the anime, and genderless in the manga. But both the anime and the manga have called Envy a male, so... I just go along with male, since his body type leans more toward male than female and because of what he used to be.
zuppi
QUOTE(Alchemical @ Dec 27 2007, 01:05 AM) *

According to the profile books, Envy's a female in the anime, and genderless in the manga. But both the anime and the manga have called Envy a male, so... I just go along with male, since his body type leans more toward male than female and because of what he used to be.

I have heard that Envy refers to him/herself as 'it' in the original manga, implying that it is genderless. It's true form doesn't imply a gender as far as I can tell.

- my two cents .
The random alchemist
QUOTE(zuppi @ Dec 27 2007, 07:19 AM) *
QUOTE(Alchemical @ Dec 27 2007, 01:05 AM) *

I have heard that Envy refers to him/herself as 'it' in the original manga, implying that it is genderless. It's true form doesn't imply a gender as far as I can tell.

- my two cents .

OH GAWD! I had heard in the anime profile book Envy was called female xD
Anyway thanks for answering me smile.gif
Now since I'm a fan of all the homunculi I may as well ask if we know about the age of them all.
I know Greed suggests in the manga he's about 200 and we know Bradley is 60. We know that Pride is oldest, followed by Lust, Envy,Greed(200),Sloth,Gluttony,Wrath(60),new!Greed(0).
So anyone have an estimation for the other 5? Also did I get the order right lol?
ehxhfdl14
QUOTE(The random alchemist @ Dec 26 2007, 12:16 PM) *

Want to know something fun? According to Hagaren DX, Envy himself (sounds better than 'it') isn't sure of his own gender XD
So the official answer is technically neither biggrin.gif
Number 48
Speaking of Vol 15, I was just flipping through it and noticed 'Solf' J. Kimblee's introduction as the 'Red Lotus Alchemist.' Considering they introduced him as the Crimson Alchemist several volumes ago.... where the heck did this come from?? Is it some alternate translation of his name from Japanese or is it just Viz's propensity for errors?
wssarrow
QUOTE(Number 48 @ Jan 3 2008, 01:02 PM) *
Speaking of Vol 15, I was just flipping through it and noticed 'Solf' J. Kimblee's introduction as the 'Red Lotus Alchemist.' Considering they introduced him as the Crimson Alchemist several volumes ago.... where the heck did this come from?? Is it some alternate translation of his name from Japanese or is it just Viz's propensity for errors?

I noticed this too. I'm going to give Viz the benefit of the doubt and say that some of the names can be debated as to what the proper translation is. "Zolf" is close to "Solf," and they have close to the same pronunciation. Similarly, "Riza" was translated as "Lisa," which could possibly be her intended name considering Arakawa's intent was to (I assume) choose realistic English names; and the letter "L" isn't in the Japanese alphabet. As for the "Red Lotus Alchemist..." I can't say, but it seems to me that this is too literal of a translation on Viz's part. I also think it's obvious Viz doesn't even bother to correlate itself at all with the anime.
RoyxRizaFan
I just recently got the 15th volume, too, and i was also confused by "The Lotus Alchemist". I don't even know what that means. Sometimes VIZ translations annoy me to death...I didn't even notice Barry and Slicer were edited out...I'll have to take a look at that later. i don't know why'd they bother changing something so unimportant!
jmun23
~ Manga Rose Question ~

I've really have tried to find the answers on my own without having to start a new post, but I can't find definite answers.

I have two questions regarding Rose.

1. It is implied that she's raped and that's why she now has a child in the anime. I read on Wikipedia (oh so reliable) that in the manga she doesn't make another appearance until very late, chapter 76 or something? I was curious if the hypothesized rape occurred in the manga as well.

2. In the anime it is unclear if she was under hypnosis when she came on to Edward or if those were her true feelings. What exactly is her stand in the manga? New guy after whatshisface/likes Edward/no romantic interest what-so-ever?

I really want to know about the first question because although it's just a show, and even more, an anime, rape reheheheheHEALLY bothers me.

Thanks in advance for any posts answering my questions.
Anomia Grey
Needless to say... CHAPTER 76 SPOILERS AHEAD. It's nothing crucial to the plot as a whole, but you may want to enjoy reading the manga yourself, it's really worth it. cool.gif

No, the rape doesn't occur in the manga - Rose is (fortunately) unharmed as far as I can tell, and when we see her she's surprisingly joyful for all the horrible things going on. And no, there's no hint of any Ed/Rose.. actually we get to see her only when Hohenheim visits Lior. Small Hoho/Rose hints, if you count Hoho helping Rose in the kitchen as a hint, but I doubt there's anything serious. In the context of the manga, and especially the turn things have taken, I wouldn't bet on Hoho/anyone at the moment...
AA battery
Re: Manga Rose Question

There is probably some slight Rose->Ed hints in chapter 80, though XD; If you count that as a hint, that is...
Dearheart
Okay, really stupid question, but I'm writing an FMA fanfic and I want to make sure I have all the details straight. smile.gif Was Maria Ross in the Ishbal war (in either anime-verse or manga-verse)?
SS Android
~ Why does Lust (FMA-1) lose her heritage (i.e. her skin color changed) when she becomes a Homunculus? ~

Yeah why? From what we can tell at least the Homunculi characters look similar to how they looked as humans, other than Sloth (FMA-1) losing her wavy hair (unless she straightens it), so why would Lust lose her Ishbalan qualities/heritage (i.e. darker skin)?
(I'm talking about Homunculi in FMA-1 anime, btw)

Are all Homunculi meant to look pale like ghosts or something?
LandoCalrissian
Good question, there are some FMA-1 Homunculi that look pale such as Lust, Sloth, Wrath and Envy if you consider his whiter skin.
However, Pride, Gluttony and Greed have fleshy colored skin.

I would think the paleness was to show they were "not" human and up until we knew their true origin, something otherworldly or supernatural.

Maybe it is because Dante made those 3 homunculi (Pride, Gluttony, & Greed) that they do not look like Ghosts, otherwise I find it to be another contradiction with the anime.
SS Android
Oh wow, that is a good point I never thought about Dante making the Homunculi that looked different.

But I don't know if I can agree the homunculi's skin is paler than normal.
Besides Lust, the only homunculus we can compare to their human form of the same age is Trisha Elric, but does Sloth's/Juliet Douglas' and Trisha Elric's (in the picture below keep in mind her pic is "in the shadows" making her seem a bit darker, and if sloth was really supposed to be so pale, wouldn't she be almost pure white?) skin tones really differ that much? I don't think so, as you can see below.

Comparing to Sloth's former (human) form.. i.e. Trish Elric
Comparing to Sloth's current human form... i.e. Juliet Douglas

And therefore I still see Lust as the only one with paler ski.
(although I admit the homunculi's skin is pale, I don't think it is abnormally pale).
LandoCalrissian
^ @SS Android - I was referring to when she showed her true form as Sloth in the darker dress, darker hair and from what I remember a different eye color...this below photo shows that, however, it might just be a bad shot - to me it looked like her skin color was also paler.
Sloth in True form with darker hair
When I saw that in the series, I thought it was similar with Lust - the fact that she lost her features and again looked like an otherworldly creature.

Yet, we have the Pride that looks very much human in every way - and even greed...except for his sharp teeth.
That is why I think that Homunculi created by Dante look different.

It is a good question...I know in the manga everything is black and white and I wonder if when Bones was doing the anime they ever thought about this crux down the road...
TheKing
No she was not...
slc2
Is there some special reason Hohenheim has gold eyes, does any other character have them? (apart from obviously Ed and Al who have them because they inherited them from him.) Does the manga ever pick up on this being unusual, or is it of no significance
SneakyRuler
Hohenheim's eye color is probably based on his origin - coming from Xerxes. In Xerxes, he was looked at as none of the ordinary. Out of the other main characters in te manga, nobodyelse but Elric brothers and Hohenheim have golden eyes but that doesn't have to mean that this color is not uncomon among Amestris people now
Ropespinner
QUOTE (slc2 @ May 18 2009, 12:27 AM) *
Is there some special reason Hohenheim has gold eyes, does any other character have them? (apart from obviously Ed and Al who have them because they inherited them from him.) Does the manga ever pick up on this being unusual, or is it of no significance

Seems to be an ethnic trait for the Xerxese people. All of them have blonde hair and light (presumably golden, hard to tell with a black-and-white comic but I believe they are) eyes.

EDIT. SneakyRuler beat me to it!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.