Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Episode 34: Ice Queen - Content Discussion Thread
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Anime
Tombow
Talk-back/content discussion for English dubbed episode on Adult Swim starts on page 2. smile.gif

Please post the discussions on the content of episode 34 here.
This thread is declared as a Spoiler zone for the content of the first 34 episodes.

I'll be back later and fill out the rest of the first post. ^^
penguintruth
My initial thoughts:

- Lol, Alphonse bumming out about his "hair"
- Hey, here's an idea, how about some newer music?
- Oooh, Miles voice is different than I expected. Interesting.
- Olivier is so awesome. <3
- Olivier sure has a lot of soldiers who look identical.
- And here's Falman again!
- Please, Bones, spring for a few more tunes. Give Akira Senju a raise, whatever. Just get some new effing BGM for this show. What is this, Dragon Ball Kai?
- And here's Sloth! He acts how I feel.
- Olivier is so aaaawwwwwesome ~<3
- Huh... that's a strange place to stop.
- Did I mention how awesome Olivier is? Cuz she is. <3 <3 <3

Great episode! Best in a while.
Michiyo-
Finally an episode with no filler, it followed the manga panel by panel. It was really good. But I didnít like how it ended. It seemed a very short ep.
Olivier is still epic. biggrin.gif
I like Miles voice actor, another good choice. And he got an eyecatch, too. But I missed the second eyectch because of bad Keyhole.
Falman is back! But he missed the train to success and has to knock down icicles. smile.gif
And Sloth is finally here. His voice suits him too.

Can't wait for the next episode.

EDIT: Screenshots:
http://randomc.animeblogger.net/2009/11/29...brotherhood-34/
Vlyse
I agree with penguintruth. I think the new characters and stuff really should get new music along with them, not the same old tracks fifteen or whatever episodes ago.
Mr. Deathy
QUOTE (Vlyse @ Nov 29 2009, 04:47 AM) *
I agree with penguintruth. I think the new characters and stuff really should get new music along with them, not the same old tracks fifteen or whatever episodes ago.

I was convinced there would be basically a whole new OST (or at least a ton more tracks) to go with the Northern arc. It seemed fitting, like the completely different scenery would give Akira Senju a chance to take his score in a different direction.

I guess he still has time yet to switch things up since this arc is looking to be quite long with the pacing, but it's a shame it doesn't seem to be happening yet.
Broken Chouchou
Thanks for the screens, Michiyo! The icicles look really cool smile.gif (yeah, I'm the kind of person who notices things like that...)

But no new music? Aww sad.gif
Irena
- New music would definitely be nice.
- Ed sure can get dressed fast. |D
- Man, I really like the style of backgrounds in this anime; Briggs looked awesome.
- Miles! His voice sounds different than I imagined.
- I love Olivier's angry faces.

That's it? Sure felt short. Still, it wasn't bad, and I liked seeing some non-filler material. xD Can't wait to see Olivier fooling Raven next week.
Mr. Deathy
The episode was mostly great for me apart from the fact the Sloth fight felt a bit laclustre in terms of action. It didn't have the same epic sense I got from the manga of it being a war of Briggs vs Sloth. I think the fight would've been best served all being contained in one episode too, mainly as it'd feel more like an "action ep" that way and otherwise it's going to be mainly dialogue for the next chunk of chapters in a row.
EveningAlchemist
Miles' voice is... is... sexy! laugh.gif It's exactly how my friend told me she imagined it, deep and smooth. Sloth's voice was interesting too - just because it sounded more human than I expected. (although slow, like I expected) The music isn't different, as people have said, but I still like how it was placed and how it felt in this episode - switching from dark and tense to light-hearted.

Everything about that elevator just looked good, all golden and stuff. It kinda surprised me. So did the icicles for that matter. They looked great in the light and had good detail. It's just like us to notice weird little details like that... The lighting itself made everything look extremely cold, you know, dark and blue. That of course made the lights stand out with a distinct gold glow... magnificent!

Sloth battle was cool. It didn't stick in my mind too well from the manga, but this was tense and exciting! Can't wait to see the rest of it.
And of course, Olivier is just pure awesomeness and badarseness! She looks very hot with a rocketlauncher... <3
Animeoldtimer
Since this was a dialogue intensive episode I'll have to wait for the subs although I did read the manga so I know what's going on. I do have a comment. What's with the "crotch" shot of Olivier? There were at least 2 with one being more obvious. I know it means nothing to the story but it seemed pretty blatant to me. I wasn't offended, I just found it interesting. Did anyone else take notice of this? It happened just before she was talking to Ed. I got the impression it was Bones way of showing she was in charge if you catch my drift.
Vicious74
I noticed the crotch shot as well.

But I thought it was hot so I didn't mind.
Billea_the_Turtle
My thoughts on this episode:

-Finally! A episode with no filler.
-We need new music. NOW.
-Awww... Poor Al.
-Miles' voice is great! It's pretty close to what I heard in my head when I read the manga.
-Olivier's angry faces are funny. laugh.gif
-The elevator and icicles look really nice. As the background.
-Falman's back!
-Sloth's voice suits him.
-And why did this episode end in such a weird place?

Anyways, this episode was awesome.

QUOTE (Animeoldtimer @ Nov 29 2009 @ 05:00 PM)
What's with the "crotch" shot of Olivier?

Yeah, I noticed that too. And the other one. It strikes me as kind of weird.
SneakyRuler
Haven't seen it in real quality but nothing seemed out of place.

Al's sadness over missing hair(?) was enjoyable as I remembered it every time my eyes glanced his direction and saw what was left of it.
Miles gave me impression of a person which enjoys being where he is (and scaring r@ndom people by his red eyes)
BONES sure loves to draw flowers on Olivier's sword. Nice detail.
Elevator!
Icicles!
Falman! (I'm too affected by manga. when he teard up I half expected a cut to Scar and Kimblee facing each other on the train)
All the pipes in Briggs, from surgery to manufacture, just awesome!
Sloth! Heh, quite a pleasant surprise, moving and stuff.
Olivier and all that ammunition... she knows how to handle stuff all right. Love her hair. Not so much to say about the action as this is exactly where my player stopped functioning laugh.gif

Anyway, noticed only one shot at Olovier's crotch and was not disturbed by it. Waiting for subtitles for the talking to finally make sense.
Serb Alchemist
Does anyone have link to torrent download for the episode 34!?
If anyone does, could you kindly PM me the info? Thanks!!
shiroe
Excellent episode! Haven't got such a faithful episode to the manga in a while. All the new seiyuu(s) are great! I love this pacing (1 1/2 chapters/ep), hope Bones keep it up.

Btw, does anybody know the name of that Briggs doctor? I can't remember her name being mentioned in the manga, but Bones even went to show a family photo of her (I can't remember it being in the manga either) here in this episode, so I find it a bit interesting. biggrin.gif
Broken Chouchou
<REMINDER: Please use Where to watch FMA:B episodes thread for all inquiry posts and related replies on where to watch the episode, and keep this thread for the discussion of the CONTENT of episode 34. Thank you! :)
This post will be moved to Where to watch FMA:B episodes thread shortly.
~ Board staff>
OT: The subs for ep 34 aren't out yet, are they? Because I can't find them anywhere.
Deadbeat007
Sloth's voice was a lot more human than I expected... I think I would have preferred something a little more gravelly, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Nice pacing in this ep, though I agree that the ending felt weird.

<REMINDER: Please use Where to watch FMA:B episodes thread for all inquiry posts and related replies on where to watch the episode, and keep this thread for the discussion of the CONTENT of episode 34. Thank you! :)
~ Board staff>
OT:
QUOTE (Broken Chouchou @ Nov 30 2009, 08:54 AM) *
The subs for ep 34 aren't out yet, are they? Because I can't find them anywhere.

Not the best quality, but I know one. Anyone would like to know the link, please PM me and ask me.
Broken Chouchou
Well, can't complain too much about the subs, since they don't have anything to do with Bones' performance.

- Great episode. The only thing I feel missing is a Briggs "main theme" addition to the soundtrack, and some new bgm.
- Miles voice was perfect. Sloth's voice was good; as you guys said, it sounded a lot more human and less monster-ish than you'd expect, but I think it suited him.
- And lastly, this felt like a really fast episode. Not because it was paced too fast, but because stuff was happening all the time. There wasn't any StreeetchiingTM or questionable filler material.
- Looking forward to next Sunday, as always smile.gif

<REMINDER: Please use Where to watch FMA:B episodes thread for all inquiry posts and related replies on where to watch the episode, and keep this thread for the discussion of the actual CONTENT of episode 34. Thank you! :)
~ Board staff>

OT: BTW, thanks for the link. Already watched it though, but I think it might have been the same version, since you mentioned the not so high quality...

The Drachma?
The Briggs?
The Central?

And then there were random lines translated to spanish throughout the course of the episode....
Forsaken Love
*nod nod* I wants a Briggs Main theme too! I'm happy they slowed down, thinkin about it we're like on volume 17 now! SEVENTEEN where did all that manga go?? I'm happy they slowed down but I can't help but feel a little edgey they missed so much previously, I seriously don't understand this pacing in the slightest, anyway the ep was really good, havnt seen the subs yet, but scenes like Ed and the icecles made me chuckle XD and Olivier is awesome
Bag of Magic Food
It's like you can halve the episode number to get the volume number, or double it to get the chapter number!
RoyxRizaFan
I'm happy they finally kept the pacing well, and I love all the new VAs! The only problem I had concerned the sub (since when is Miles married???!!!!) but that has nothing to do with the episode, so no complaints (except the weird ending)

Best parts? OLIVIA (everything about her) and seeing Falman again!
Kyelinn
QUOTE (Broken Chouchou @ Nov 30 2009, 09:54 AM) *
This post will be moved to Where to watch FMA:B episodes thread shortly.
~ Board staff>

o_o you're a mod...?

Ahem, anyway, this episode was particularly good. I absolutely love seeing Olivier (I really hate calling her that...I prefer Olivia <.<)really kicking some serious [All hail lord Xenu] in this ep! I loved how they kept in the red shrimp jokes and how talking about Alex pissed her off. xD It was awesome. And enter Sloth! He's...just...so...sluggish. I actually cracked up laughing when he fell asleep as soon as I he dug himself out of that tunnel. The eye catches this week were awesome. I LOVE Miles! <3 I loved the scene between him and the brothers. I always enjoyed that in the manga so it was particularly cool to see it finally animated. I laughed a lot in this ep. It was a great one. I can't wait until Winry finally comes up north! x3 More EdxWin moments ftw! lol I know it's a few eps yet, but yeah. tongue.gif
Tombow
^ Gahaha, Kyelinn, I think you might have missed this part? biggrin.gif (I put in RED below. ^^)

QUOTE (Broken Chouchou @ Nov 30 2009, 09:54 AM) *
<REMINDER: Blah blah blah.
~ Board staff>

I'm still waiting for the Funimation sub to be up on Thursday. I'm so looking forward to watching Ed and Al in Briggs!! I'll comment after I get to see it. ^^
zonkiethegreat
LOVED LOVED LOVED THIS EP!!! Olivia is outstanding!!! I loved how it ended, and I am happy with how they have brought Briggs to life in the anime!!! It was my favorite part of the manga! biggrin.gif

***even though Sloth is annoying...***
penguintruth
Episode 34 is, quite possibly, my favorite episode since episode 19 (Roy vs Lust). There are so many great elements to it.

First, the art/animation for the snow and ice is perfect. I love how the Briggs fortress looks, and can see my waiting paid off. The battle with Sloth was pretty well done, too, though you could tell that they were saving their budget for that part because the first half of the episode had some wonky animation here and there. The presentation overall, especially with Olivier's reactions, was excellent.

The episode itself was well-paced, my only problem being where it ended, but it's forgivable. I felt like everything that I saw had just the right amount of screentime. This isn't some big, epic battle with all parties, but it is something that needs to be done just right, and it's being done so.

Olivier's VA is awesome. Miles sounded different than I expected, but he sounds good. Sloth was great, and sounded exactly the way I thought he'd sound. Romi Paku continues to perform well. I wish Alphonse would get a few more lines (or actions), though.

I really loved seeing the team work of the Briggs crew. It reminded me a lot of how Roy and his group work together, but Olivier is far sexier, and she doesn't even need alchemy to pull it off.

The little details were great, too, like the detail of Olivier's sword and the continuing appearance of Edward's scar. I've been noticing that about the scar on Roy's hand that's still there from when he cut an alchemy array on there. Little things like this really help to immerse me in the show, and the world it takes place in.

My only real complaint is the lack of new music. Somebody get Akira Senju into a studio. If you can't, threaten to bring in Oshima again.

If only the past few episodes could have been this good. If only all of them could be. But then, we could never catch our breaths, were that the case!
Flamez_Freak
i loved everything about this episode...hahahaha...awesome...the detail level was top notch and the pacing was spot on...hahahahah....by the way...i might be counting unhatched eggs here...but i have a feeling that l'arc en ciel is gonna perform opening 4 of this anime....because ...they are coming out with a single on around 27th january (BLESS) and i bet that there is going to be a new opening in close to 5 to 6 episodes.....ie january 1st week....its just a hunch...i hope it comes true....

well now talkin bout the episode....
so many plus points
-pacing
-art work
-detail.....wat really struck me about the detail of this anime is the fact that i noticed wen ed,al and miles were having that convo before falman entered the scene......its the way they released smog...awesome......they only did so wen they didnt talk for a few seconds......otherwise ...no smog....realistic.......
-olivier was awesome......
-sloth looks menacing........
-and the ending was awesome too......

p.S

as penguintruth said..............WE NEED NEW MUSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Full Metal Elf
LOVED this episode!! Olivier is one of my favorite characters and I am so pleased with her in the anime.

I can't wait to see the Briggs arc continue and I hope they keep it at this slower pace...they sort of have to now.

I also agree there should have been some Briggs theme music with the new episodes. I hope they throw something in there soon.
enfobre09
Indeed its great, and I think the chapter name does really suit the plot. The ants bite huh?
Michiyo-
Please add FMA:B English dubbed episode 34 (on CN on Adult Swim) talk-back/discussions here. smile.gif

FMA:B will air 1:00 AM - 1: 30 AM and 5:00 AM - 5:30 AM eastern time. smile.gif
Tombow
For anyone who missed this episode, it's on again tonight on Adult Swim (U.S.). smile.gif
Tombow
For anyone who missed this episode, it's on again tonight on Adult Swim (U.S.). smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.