Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I'm-not-a-fan Listing For People Who Do Not Care For Major General Armstrong
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > FMA Character Discussions
Tombow
This thread is a "safe harbor" thread for people who are not fans of Major General Armstrong, where you can safely declare that you are NOT a fan of Olivier Armstrong, WITHOUT Olivier fans posting rebuttal such as "How come you can not love this awesome character!!" etc., etc. ^^

Please feel free to declare that you're not-a-fan of this character, and, if you'd like, you can discuss your reasoning, etc., on this thread. biggrin.gif
(But, no bashing of "Olivier shippers" on this thread, please. smile.gif )
A Pierrot's Aria
Wow! It's great to know I'm not the only one who isn't a fan. xD;

I just generally dislike her character...She's a bit of a bi-atch. *shot*
alchemistpower
I would say i would be in the middle... Like I don't really know if I'm a fan of her or not. She's... um... a... you know... I wouldn't say she's a b!tch... because... b!tch means a "Female" Dog... -.-" BUT OTHER THAN THAT! I'M NOT A FAN!
Misty- Nala
I like her neither. Actually, Alex and Olivia are the characters I dislike probably the most. Olivia is portrayed so annoyingly: personally, I hate the characters that people both fear and respect. I mean, she is decribed to be cold outside but deep down inside, there is a caring heart. Jeez, what a cliche! I also hate it how no one dares to oppose her, as if she were the most horrible person in the world.
I'm glad that I found some people that dislike her also! smile.gif Usually, I dislike all women characters in animes, tv-shows etc.
sidekick.kep37
It's not that I don't like her. It's just that.. she kind of annoys me. Between her "I'm-tough-as-nails-don't-fudge-with-me" complex and her hardcore Darwinism beliefs and practices, I just find it somewhat hard to actually like her character.

Why? Other than the two core reasons I already stated, maybe it's because she also has that "I am an awesome be-aht-tch". Maybe not a God complex, per se, but she kinda has that annoying "I'm the boss" aura radiating from her.

Not only that, but she has a huge amount of pride stocked up in her. She isn't considerate of her family (even though she kicked her parents out of the house, most likely to get them away from Amestris)- especially Alex, because she sees the way he acts- his emotions- as a weakness and acts like there is no real use for it.

Though I admit I'm being a bit of a hypocrite seeing as I tend to have that outlook on life as well, but her coldness (no pun intended) is what really gets me.

I appreciate her for sure. She's done a lot regarding the progression of the story and has definitely had her influence on the characters, but... it's just that she's not a likeable character to me. Her ablity to cast her own self away to benefit others or to save others is remarkable, but generally most of the "good guys" in FMA have that resolve as well. The only thing I genuinely really like about her (note: like, not appreciate or respect, because I do both anyways), is the fact that she's able to lie and manipulate so she can get her way. And even then, that's more of something I appreciate than "like".

:tongue is severed, rest of body is tossed into a pit; is then impaled upon reaching bottom... Olivier fans cheer: Jklawlz
Katya Martin
QUOTE (sidekick.kep37 @ Jan 25 2010, 06:03 PM) *
Why? Other than the two core reasons I already stated, maybe it's because she also has that "I am an awesome be-aht-tch". Maybe not a God complex, per se, but she kinda has that annoying "I'm the boss" aura radiating from her.

I call that a "trumpet player" attitude, because it seems like a lot of trumpet players with any degree of talent have it (Before I get attacked by trumpet players, I am one too, and have witnessed this multiple times. Search your feelings, you know it to be true.) It's the sort of attitude where one thinks they're the best to an annoying degree. Olivia is one of the best at what she does, so it's not entirely baseless, but still, it irritates.

Not only that, but she has a huge amount of pride stocked up in her. She isn't considerate of her family (even though she kicked her parents out of the house, most likely to get them away from Amestris)- especially Alex, because she sees the way he acts- his emotions- as a weakness and acts like there is no real use for it.

In some ways, this has been kind of necessary, but it's definitely insufferable.

My main issue with Olivia is that she has attitude and ambition, which are not necessarily bad things, but no apparent reason for having them. She has the drive to rule the country, but why? Her motivations are hard to work out. If we knew why she's so ambitious, she might be less irritating. (I mean, before Roy's motivations were revealed, he seemed something of an insufferable jerk as well.) I also question how Amestris would fare under her rule, because we don't really know why she wants it.

I think Olivia's pretty awesome in her own way; she just grates on the nerves at times.

QUOTE (Misty- Nala @ Jan 18 2010, 01:49 PM) *
Usually, I dislike all women characters in animes, tv-shows etc.

...Er.

Anyarel
Well, I don't dislike her.
But I wouldn't care if she died.
Like I didn't care about Buccaneer's or Fu's death.
Anomia Grey
What ticks me is how very little backup there is for her being 'soft at heart'. She pulls that 'oh i wish i was a other' speech purely to hogwash Raven, and while she does have some principles and protects her men she's mainly driven by thrist for power - I wonder whether the Brass perceiving her as a threat is why they sent her off to Briggs in the first place, or whether it was a conscious choice. Also, while it's been stated that everyone at briggs has a secret, we never get to find out hers - it might have given her a bit more debth to find out she made a mistake that prevented her from climbing the ranks back in Central.

I'm interested in how the current situation will be solved: with Roy not only more or less temporarily blinded but also bearing the stigm of his involvement in Ishval, odds are high she'll be the one to become the next Fuhrer, and then you can say goodbye to Democracy landing in Amestris any time soon...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.