Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Episode 31: The 520 Cens Promise - Content Discussion Thread
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Anime
Tombow
Talk-back/content discussion for English dubbed episode on Adult Swim starts on page 3. smile.gif

Please post the discussions on the content of episode 31 here.
This thread is declared as a Spoiler zone for the content of the first 31 episodes.

REMINDER to U.S. fans in the area that uses Daylight saving Time, and following the streaming of the show as it airs in Japan:
Now that we changed back our time from Daylight Saving Time to Standard Time, the show in Japan would start ONE HOUR EARLIER than it used to be (till two weeks ago.) ^^

I'll be back later and fill out the rest of the first post. ^^
A Pierrot's Aria
Well...It has the 'lost my queen' part so Royai fans will be happy about that. =P

EDIT: And OMG, Madam Christmas!! LOL

Sorry. xD
Michiyo-
Let's see:
- Royai scene: They left the „please don’t die" line
- „They took my queen” scene!!! And they showed Riza right after that, I loved that! biggrin.gif
- Roy in casual clothes ^^
- The 520 Cenz promise
- Fuu is back
- Madame Christmas!! biggrin.gif
- No „Elizabeth was taken by another man” sad.gif
- Roy and Kimbley eyecatch
- Fuu and Ran Fan leave for a while now
- They didn’t leave out Knox’s family, that’s good
- More Ishbal flashbacks with Kimbley
- Scar destroyed Marcoh’s face, and they’re heading to North
- Grumman in the next ep! smile.gif

Overall, I liked this episode.
penguintruth
My initial thoughts:

- I forgot to mention that the previous episode ended in a stupid place
- Did they skip the part where Alphonse says he wants to eat an apple pie?
- Oh, yeah. I forgot how little happens around this time.
- I like Roy assigning the members of his team to the chesspieces
- Madame Christmas! And... that's it. Way to shorten another scene I like, Bones.
- That commercial with Olivia in it again! Who is her voice?!
- They left in the scene with Knox's family... who cares? I have not put in enough time with this character to care.
- Kimbley! And a flashback to something that should have been in the previous episode!
- Envy and Kimbley, each trying to out-crazy the other.

The next episode is "The Fuhrer's Son"? Uh... how long are they going to stretch out that one scene in the library? But it looks like there might be an added scene with Bradley, and that's always good. More Bradley equals awesome, right?
Alzea
QUOTE (penguintruth @ Nov 8 2009, 09:30 AM) *
- Did they skip the part where Alphonse says he wants to eat an apple pie?
Nope, they didn't skip this.

- Chess scene, hell yeah! biggrin.gif
- Hot Havoc in chess scene is hot
- Hot Roy in eyecatch is hot
- Madame Christmas is WIN, EPIC WIN
- Grummy is also win
- But cutting out "Elizabeth was taken by another man" isn't win at all -.-
- cm with Olivier again biggrin.gif But who the hell is her VA?
- RanFun, I want to hug her
- Next episode, scene near Maes' grave=win
- Still no "burn my back", right now I have no idea where they might put it in
- It's nice to see some of the Ishval flashback
SneakyRuler
Yes! It seems good animation is back, and pace slowed down again, no Ishbal flashback thus far (was secretely hoping for Roy, Riza and Dr. Knox).

Anyway:

- Mustang-tachi got the chance to say good bye in a dignified way
- Mustang steering the car LOL
- 520 cenz promise. Yes!
- Dr. Knox scene uncut - loved it so much (could've been better choice of music but hell...)
- Kimbley's voice still doesn't suit him (in my opinion), sounds strange but that may be turned around
- Kimbley out of prison scene well done
- Madame Christmas, how could I forget, she looks amazng! But I miss the rest of the scene, Mustang in bar was amazing in manga
- Nearly choked on my breakfast when I saw what obscurity it was Grumman was polishing
- Fu and Lan Fan, again, well done

So next episode we move north and we get some sightings of that cute son of that horrible King Bradley. And there will be some Mustang on graveyard. Looking forward to it!

I'm biased, I know, but I can't help but love the way Dr. Knox is drawn in Brotherhood so I enjoy every bit of him I get. Kimbley look wonderfully this time round. Overall feeling of this episode was more than good, though I couldn't believe it was over so quickly.

Edit: I heard Olivier's voice! Should be fine, it's deep and close to what I hear in my head while reading FMA.

Michiyo-
Screenshots:
http://randomc.animeblogger.net/2009/11/08...brotherhood-31/
FailToImpress
QUOTE (Michiyo- @ Nov 8 2009, 09:09 AM) *

Thank you! <3
I won't be able to see the episode until tomorrow so I appreciate this! happy.gif

Oh, and judging by what people have said, it sounds like a good episode.
mellulah
When ever I read the Envy and Kimblee scene in the manga I always wonder who the hell trusted Envy with a car let alone taught him how to use one. I mean he doesn't even watch the road.
Levive
Olivier's seiyuu is Yoko Soumi. You can recall her from Bleach (bounto Yoshi) and Tokyo Majin (Takako Iwayama).

Aww, The queen scene! And Ran Fan! And Madame Christmas! And... next week's filler? oO Well, maybe they do realize that they're speeding too much...
Kasumisty
QUOTE (Levive @ Nov 8 2009, 11:57 AM) *
And... next week's filler? oO Well, maybe they do realize that they're speeding too much...

Next week fortunately isn't a filler, they've shown scenes from next chapter in preview.
penguintruth
QUOTE (Levive @ Nov 8 2009, 05:57 AM) *
Olivier's seiyuu is Yoko Soumi. You can recall her from Bleach (bounto Yoshi) and Tokyo Majin (Takako Iwayama).

I guess it's fitting, her having been B.C. in Vandread.

Not a bad voice. I'm looking forward to her in the show proper.
A Pierrot's Aria
I really liked this episode- the animation and art were both great, and it had good pacing, and I like that they kept in the majority of the scenes. : ) (I'll be able to have other things to say when I've watched it subbed; I only watched it on Keyhole with the volume down. >.>;;)

Although I'm probably going to steer clear of this thread (and probably the RoyAi one) for a while because I just know there's going to be a bunch of "there was no 'Elizabeth' scene!" comments. xD; As much as I love the couple, it just seems as though, especially for the last episode or so-- that it's actually just the hardcore RoyAi fans that complain about the episode because it's missing such a scene that only pertains to their favourite couple. >.>;;

I can understand why sometimes because it further develops the character and their relationship with each other (for example, the 'burn my back' scene) however when it's just things where Roy says "Riza" or says he's 'lost Elizabeth' - yes I see why RoyAi fans would be bummed about them, but to me (and maybe others) they're just of little importance.
S.F. Thunder
KIMBLEY EYECATCH. <3

...Though, after all of my nitpicking over the years, it turns out I was wrong... |D; They spelt his first name with an 'S', not a 'Z'. Oh well, I'll get over it.

Riza was actually drawn very well in this episode, I think. And so was that fountain behind Ed and Al in the beginning. xD As far as I could tell and from what I can remember from the manga, they didn't skip anything all too important. The pacing was great, the animation wasn't weird, and they kept my favourite scene from this part of the manga- Kimbley and Envy in the car. That part always made me giggle for some reason.

Good episode! Can't wait for the next one!
Thalogens
What is this commercial everyone's talking about??!! Gahh, I feel so... not-knowing.

Anywho, seems like this episode will be good, n_n yey.
A Pierrot's Aria
You mean the one with Olivia/Olivier in it? I think they're just advertising to FMA merchandise or the manga- not sure. xD But I think the point is, is that Olivia/Olivier is in it. Ed, Al, Armstrong and Olivia are sat at a table or something in the ad. (I'm not sure which spelling is actually correct, but personally I prefer Olivia.)
Thalogens
Yep, that one. Thanks for clearing that up, and yeah - I prefer Olivia too, when it's spelled 'Olivier' I pronounce the 'errr'
Mr. Deathy
The episode was pretty good due to slow pacing but I'm surprised im the only person bothered by the omission of one great comedy scene.

http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/62/29/
http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/62/30/

That's one of my favourite comedy scenes in the entire manga, I love the "monster" Ed you see every so often in the manga.
Irena
- I thought Riza looked nice in this episode! Why can't they do that more often?
- The fountain looked pretty *^*
- Was that part with Falman and Fuery in the manga? I can't remember.
- Roy sure looks spiffy in his civilian clothes.
- LOL @ Roy's crazy driving xD
- Did the car suddenly get bigger as Ed and Al were getting out? Or does it just look big compared to Ed?
- I know a lot of people are upset that they left out the "Elizabeth was taken by another man" but it doesn't really bother me.

I liked this episode better than I thought I would, especially considering how this is kind of a lull in the series. Great animation, too.
shiroe
QUOTE (Mr. Deathy @ Nov 9 2009, 12:34 AM) *
The episode was pretty good due to slow pacing but I'm surprised im the only person bothered by the omission of one great comedy scene.

That's one of my favourite comedy scenes in the entire manga, I love the "monster" Ed you see every so often in the manga.

Personally, I'm not missing that scene. tongue.gif I love how very mean Ed is to May, but that scene seems a bit over the edge with the humor, and while it's ok in the manga version, I suspect many anime-only watchers are going to complain about "too much humor" in the anime.

About the episode, it's really good indeed. I'm not surprised at all that they kept the conclusion to Dr. Knox's subplot (Bones have never wasted a scene in their episodes, and so far they've given him enough scenes foreshadowing this reunion scene) and they did it well. I had kinda hoped they would include the flashback of him saying "why am I killing people when I'm a doctor" though, but now that scene is gone for good, so it's a shame.

Also, it's a good thing they included the remains of Kimblee's flashback here, but why cutting the last part with Envy? It's just a few seconds, and they even showed it in the OP, so it's just weird they left it out.

Other than that, I liked this episode. Next episode's title is a bit intriguing, but it has a scene I like (I like that kid tongue.gif), so looking forward to it!
Vicious74
Really glad they included Knox's scene, didn't think they would, it's just too bad that they left out the "because we're family" line, which was what made the scene IMO.

And the song used for the 520 Cenz Promise wasn't very fitting.

Other than that, pretty good episode with a much better pacing than last week's.

Kimblee was awesome once again, and him and Envy together in a car being their evil psychotic selves is just pure win.
FailToImpress
QUOTE (Irena @ Nov 8 2009, 07:13 PM) *
- Did the car suddenly get bigger as Ed and Al were getting out? Or does it just look big compared to Ed?

YES, omg. There's definitely something going on there. tongue.gif I never usually notice these things but from the preview pictures I saw it, from the link given on the first page:

http://randomc.animeblogger.net/2009/11/08...brotherhood-31/

The picture where Ed is getting out the car. Ed looks as if he's kneeling down haha, I don't think he's THAT small. laugh.gif
EveningAlchemist
Despite the fact that there was no action, because this part is sort of a lull between main plots, this episode really impressed me! cool.gif The animation seemed very excellent, especially in the way that they drew Roy <3 And Havoc was pretty hot too...
At this point, it now seems all the characters have been developed and we are ready to go do something about all that has been discovered about Amestris and alchemy. It's feels so exciting!

That one scene with Dr. Knox, for some reason always makes me tear up. I really liked his character as he tried to appear tough and grumpy but he really does care alot... I liked the sweet music there too.

And yes, we get to see some more of Ishbal, but from different viewpoints! (from Kimblee this time) It appears that they will pepper the rest of the episodes with Ishbal. THANK THE GATE! give_heart2.gif

I suddenly now feel like watching this episode again... *zooms away*
zonkiethegreat
Umm...shouldn't Olivia be in the preview for the next ep?? Or am i wrong??

Oh and one thing! What exactly was Lan Fan referring to about "We will be back, inhabitants of "the devils den" ??????

I was a tad confused about that.

Kyelinn
Awesome episode! I honestly have no complaints about this one at all. The animation was done wonderfully, they didn't cut out the family scene with Dr. Knox! Yay! Though it's sad when he starts to cry, still. I loved it. I also loved Fuu and Ranfan of course! <3 Was it just me or was Ed very well drawn in this particular ep? He looked so pretty at times. <333

Also I think Ranfan was referring to the homunculi, zonkie. That's the only explanation I could really come up with.

Anyway, great episode! They're nearing my favorite arcs in the whole manga; the Briggs arcs. We'll be seeing Olivia soon enough! x3
kimonodragon88
I love this episode. smile.gif I look forward to watching these every week and very rarely am I disappointed with the outcome. The one thing I missed seeing was when Al said he wanted to eat an apple pie when he got his body back. In the manga, Ed makes fun of him, while here he just chuckled. Personally, I thought that scene was funny and missed it in the episode. Overall, I loved the whole thing. smile.gif The chess scene and seeing Madame Christmas were the highlights for me. Fort Briggs is coming up soon!
Jealous Rogo
Good episode this week, unlike last week it isn't slightly marred by the fact it's source material hasn't been chopped to pieces and scattered to the winds. I think it's probably a reflection on how well this material was handled in comparison to last week's that i found this episode to have some much more powerful moments emotionally. The scene with Knox, which never bothered me in the Manga, made me feel really bad for the guy and I think alot of that can be acredited to the voice actor, who really sold it without being over the top.

Same compliments are given to the actor who played Fuu, who really sold thatthe poor guy was not only furious with Ran Fan, but completely devestated by her lost arm. Speaking of which, I'm guessing the reason Ran Fan features so prominently in the ending is to actually remind us that she exists for the next few episodes, cause she and her grandfather are buggering off for a bit so we can spend more time getting introduced the biggest badass in the entire series. Good trade off.

I like that they actually assigned characters to Mustang's chess talk, as in the Manga it was only really clear who his Queen was. Ironically, Mustang has got to be the first 'King' character to not be completely useless, like in the actual chess game. I'm happy to see Madame Christmas and I think it's curious that considering she's his foster mother, the fact I heard the word 'onee-chan' used to describe Mustang by one of the girls seems doubley amusing, could they be foster children as well? I'm looking forward to seeing Mustang playing a more tactical game from now on, as opposed to the more active role he's had. Again, making way for the big badass.

I can't decided if the characters looked good this week, Scar definately looked off and seems to be getting bigger muscles each week, but that's not too bad I suppose, but Ed really caught my eye. Is it me or did he look younger this week? He definately looked different, and I can't decide if I liked it or not. Speaking of Ed, glad they kept the 'ignore the alien' scene, even if they did remove the rather amusing scene where he suggests mobilizing the entire military in order to locate one little girl. I highlight that because it made it more obvious that Ed isn't overly fond of May, but it's no biggie.

Envy and Kimblee's scene was awesome. Hell, all of Kimblee's scenes were awesome. Glad they stuck in the flashback about killing the superiors, but I think they kind of had to at this point. I also think it probably made people who havent read the Manga go 'oh my god' when they see he's got a philosphers stone, something the rest of us already know. I have always preferred this version of Kimblee, he's a much better representation of a psycopath. He's a murdering nutter, but's also very charming, something very rare to see (especially in Anime)

I really do wonder about May Chang, ya know. She just saw Scar grab and disfigure Marcoh brutally, but yet she's willing to go along with him? Ordinary little girl would be fleeing back in the opposite direction before you can say 'How old are you supposed to BE?!' Speaking of Scar, is i me or did he seem to be kinder here? In the Manga you could really tell Scar detested Marcoh. Reason I bring this up is I think it might have less impact later on when Scar congratulates him on finally standing up to Envy

Despite the title, next week's episode is probably just going to concern itself with getting the rest of the cast up to the North, we already know Scar's group and Falman are headed that way, so just need to get Ed and Al up here and closer towards the badass. Also I officially now LOVE the freaking next episode preview guy. Read between the lines and he just gave away a HUGE spoiler. Seriously, everything he said had double meaning, what an ace.

Kasumisty
Weekly dose of lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssAbDQMvVeA

I can say I liked it. The animation was quite good (Althrough the characters looked kind of off sometimes). It had some of my favorite moments - e.g. Fuu scolding Ranfan or Dr. Knox praying to God (I love all that christianity references, I just love them). The 520 cenz promise was handled very well, we got to see that the coins! (which are very good, btw. I see they are based on japanese yens and have an army's emblem on them biggrin.gif And if they are based on yens, I guess Ed borrowed something around 8 dollars from Roy...). I wasn't bothered by the cuts that were made much. I will give it a 7 out of 10.
Cece
QUOTE (Jealous Rogo @ Nov 9 2009, 06:19 AM) *
I really do wonder about May Chang, ya know. She just saw Scar grab and disfigure Marcoh brutally, but yet she's willing to go along with him? Ordinary little girl would be fleeing back in the opposite direction before you can say 'How old are you supposed to BE?!'

Well May's led a hard life so I doubt she would be bothered by brutality or blood. If you remember a few episode back she was fighting some pretty nasty beasts. She knows retanjustu to heal people so she's probably used to blood. If you watch that scene again she's shocked and little scared but didn't run away like the little girl everyone thinks she is. This proves to me how brave she really is.
penguintruth
Not a lot to say about this episode. Pretty straight-forward.

I like that they included the bit about Alphonse wanting to eat an apple pie (Winry's! Innuendo!) when he regains his body. I was disappointed that they didn't include Edward teasing him about it, though. Still, it's good to see the brothers thinking about the future, instead of just the past.

I liked seeing which pieces represented which members of Roy's team. Poor Fuery, relegated to pawn! It's too bad they cut down the scene with Roy in Madame Christmas' bar, but it's nothing that's too big a loss.

They actually got Riza's eyes right! The entire episode! My god, they finally really, entirely got Riza's eyes right! Not just in a few scenes, in every scene she's in! It only took you 31 episodes, Bones, congratulations.

I found myself not especially caring about Doctor Knox and his family. He was barely a character, and they managed to remove the scene of him talking to Marcoh in the previous episode, which probably would have helped to make the scene in this one. I don't dislike the character, but I felt the scene with his family was a case of Arakawa trying to wring a few tears from me, and they didn't come.

To me, the highlight of the episode was Kimbley, especially with Envy. I think the voice actors for both characters did a good job. They're creepy characters, those two.
Imbris
After all the whining last week, I'm surprised (not really) that more people haven't acknowledged the additional Ishbal flashback scene in this episode.
SneakyRuler
This episode was amazing! It presented the material it should and though I missed some minor scenes (such as Mustang's funny expression in Madame Christmas bar) I was still satisfied.

First: the art and animation. What I noticed as first was that all the characters looked like themselves all the time! Especially the eyes - Hawkeye's eyes (which fall victim almost every time somthing's off) were allright all the time. Edward's eyes were amazing to look at and Kimblee's eyes! Loved them.
(you know how to recognize bad character drawing? not only Riza's eyes but even Ed's are just weird)
Fuu and Lan Fan walking into the night while Greedling sits under starry sky. Poetry for my eyes. By the way, I'm so looking forward to see the north. I love the way BONES does background and the flash I got of Briggs looked impressive.

Otherwise my impressions are almost te same as after watching the raw, subs only highlited for me scene with Knox' family.

Fuery telling Hayate to grow nto a big and strong dog so he could protect everyone made me laugh - it was almost as if Fuery instead of Hayate talked about himself.

Mustang and his chess pieces. So that's why they didn't include assembling of Mustang team in previous episode!

Envy + Kimblee playing double. Who of them is more twisted and evil? Hard to say. But how they understood each other! I love Envy's voice actress, and while I'm still getting used to Kimblee's new voice, their little intermezzo was refreshing and delightful, in a way.

I'd include this episode in my top 5 for sure. Not much of a dramatic development but I enjoyed every second. And that counts a great deal.
heartwing713
Interesting how the animators can draw Al's complicated helmet perfectly symmetrical every time, but Hawkeye's eyes are always different sizes and positions. (until this episode, at least biggrin.gif )
Kaleidoscope
QUOTE (heartwing713 @ Nov 11 2009, 05:08 PM) *
Interesting how the animators can draw Al's complicated helmet perfectly symmetrical every time, but Hawkeye's eyes are always different sizes and positions. (until this episode, at least biggrin.gif )

Yeah, I've always wondered about that too. Maybe there's a little disagreement about how they should be drawn? Some animators want Hawkeye to look more moe or something?

Anyway... nice episode! I've always loved that little scene where Lan Fan leaves with her big "I'll be back" and then they pan to Greedling. So glad they animated it. Just realized we won't be seeing Lan Fan for a while... I'll miss her.
archronos
QUOTE (Mr. Deathy @ Nov 8 2009, 11:34 AM) *

I missed that scene too! It's one of the few times that Ed actually seems to put his military position into good use (aside from his research into the Philosopher's Stone). Plus I love his forked tongue.

I also thought that having Riza telling Roy not to die seemed extremely out of place given that it's original use in the flashback to the two standing infront of her father's grave was never included (at least not that particular line)
hawkflame
I loved the chess pieces bit (especially Riza as the Queen, big Royai fan as I am) but I felt a little bad for Fuery there, just a pawn...
Michiyo-
Please add FMA:B English dubbed episode 31 (on CN on Adult Swim) talk-back/discussions here. smile.gif

FMA:B will air 1:00 AM - 1: 30 AM and 5:00 AM - 5:30 AM eastern time. smile.gif
Tombow
For anyone who missed this episode, it is on Adult Swim (U.S.) again tonight. smile.gif
Tombow
For anyone who missed this episode, it is on Adult Swim (U.S.) again tonight. smile.gif
Tombow
Mini break is over. For anyone who missed this episode, it is on Adult Swim (U.S.) again tonight. smile.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.