Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Episode 30: The Ishvalan War Of Extermination - Content Discussion Thread
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Anime
Pages: 1, 2
Tombow
Talk-back/content discussion for English dubbed episode on Adult Swim starts on page 5. smile.gif

Please post the discussions on the content of episode 30 here.
This thread is declared as a Spoiler zone for the content of the first 30 episodes.

REMINDER to U.S. fans in the area with Daylight saving Time, and following the streaming of the show as it airs in Japan:
1. Don't forget about changing time tonight/this morning... setting it back one hour.
2. BUT, they don't change time in Japan, and hence, after we change back our time from Daylight Saving Time to Standard Time, the show in Japan would start ONE HOUR EARLIER from now on. ^^

I'll be back later and fill out the rest of the first post. ^^
penguintruth
My initial thoughts:

- Roy's master! But, aw, he isn't dying at his desk! Come on...
- All right, stop extending this scene and get to Ishbal!
- Ishbal! Sure is material not in the manga around here...
- Okay, now we get to some manga stuff...
- Half over and still no wall scene? No scene where Gran kills that officer? Or any Kimbley? Hmm...
- OH ...., OLIVIA ARMSTRONG SPEAKING IN A FMA COMMERCIAL! WHO IS THAT VOICE?!
- Hot eyecatch with naked Riza! NOT KIDDING.
- Ah, Kimbley, there you are, guy.
- I love this scene, where Kimbley talks about a soldier's duty.
- You know what? My head isn't in this. I'm too busy thinking about Olivia in the commercial and Riza naked in the eyecatch.
- Oh yeah, scene of a Philosopher's Stone being made. Beats refining red water that was never explained properly.
- Oh Kimbley, you so crazy!
- Awesome, the scene where Bradley talks about God.
- Well, that was a quick Ishbal flashback. One episode only, huh? Ehhh...

I wish there was more episode for the Ishbal material. What they showed was awesome, but it could have been so much more. One episode for my favorite volume of the manga just doesn't sit quite right with me.
black~hayate
Okay, let's start.
-Damn. They changed alot of awesomeness and put out some nice details!
-Kimblee looked so damn hot in this episode. Kimblee, you are a heartless killer. But hot.
-Haha xD two Riza eyecatches AND a "see you next time"-Riza.
-Animation diddn't stand out. But well, it wasn't bad either.
-It was okay, I guess. A mix of total awesomeness and "it could have been better"
Michiyo-
Let’s see this ep:
-Papa Hawkeye!! But why was he in bed instead of working at his desk?
- The tattoo smile.gif and Riza got two eyecatches in one episode, that’s awesome!
- Kimbley is creepy
- Olivier in the Gangan commercial!

Missed some scenes:
- they left out the scene when Roy calls Riza by her name. sad.gif
- where’s the scene when Riza entrusts her back to Roy?
- Riza saving Roy and Hughes was also left out
- please burn my back scene (I thought it won’t be left out, because it was in the opening, too)
Overall, it was a short Ishbal flashback, they should’ve made more.
Alzea
Few things:
- Ok, maybe they don't hate Riza - two eyecatches wink.gif
- And now WTF with those changes?!
- Honestly they cut out way too much -.-
- And why oh why they changed the scene when Mustang meets Riza in Ishval >.<
- Hey, wait, I know I don't understand Japanese but there wasn't "please burn my back", was it?
- Well, I really don't know Japanese at all but there also wasn't "can I entrust my back..."
- Now, they rushed through this, well, VOLUME! Way too many things left -.-
- I don't know why but now I feel like Kimbley's voice doesn't sound like Kimbley
- Woohoo, Olivier in cm! Now, now who is her seiyuu?

I really wanted hear Roy calling her "RIZA" T^T
Tsk, me wanna subs~!
I think I'm kind of disappointed
Michiyo-
Thanks Alzea, I just wanted to post it, too. biggrin.gif
amestris_star
I think I agree with what you guys said... as much as I love Volume 15 to bits, it actually feels slightly rushed and dunno... thought it would have had more impact... they should have devoted 2 eps for this at least. Really now, with all of the things that happened this is the least part that should be rushed, considering the relevance to the rest of the story.

Mmmh, dunno, maybe I had high expectations to this... but... still leaves my ep 19 on top of the list of my favorites wink.gif

And all this makes me want to re-read Volume 15 today!
penguintruth
Things they skipped:

- The Rockbells being warned to leave the Kanda region by their supplier
- Aerugo weapons being discovered
- Ishbalan officers being locked up
- Kimbley killing civillians Armstrong was helping escape
- Marcoh and Knox talking
- Basque Grand killing that .... commander
- Kimbley being ordered to kill the Rockbells
- Kimbley finding the Rockbells dead

And yes, I have volume 15 with me right now. Am I the only one who thinks it may be the greatest volume of manga ever penned?
amestris_star
QUOTE (penguintruth @ Nov 1 2009, 10:37 AM) *
And yes, I have volume 15 with me right now. Am I the only one who thinks it may be the greatest volume of manga ever penned?

Nope considering that I was holding it almost through the whole ep and placing r@ndom kisses on the cover, no XDDDD
I agreeee!
Michiyo-
I love vol. 15, too, that's why I'm disappointed, that so many things were left out. They should've made the flashbacks into 2 episodes, I wanted to see more.
penguintruth
QUOTE (amestris_star @ Nov 1 2009, 04:53 AM) *

Nope considering that I was holding it almost through the whole ep and placing curious kisses on the cover, no XDDDD
I agreeee!

I... was doing the same.

amestris_star
QUOTE (penguintruth @ Nov 1 2009, 11:01 AM) *
QUOTE (amestris_star @ Nov 1 2009, 04:53 AM) *

Nope considering that I was holding it almost through the whole ep and placing curious kisses on the cover, no XDDDD
I agreeee!

I... was doing the same.

That should have read r@ndom kisses though, lol! And glad to know I wasn't the only one pfffttttt.
alphonse-fma
Riza looks so sexy tongue.gif
amestris_star
QUOTE (alphonse-fma @ Nov 1 2009, 11:10 AM) *
Riza looks so sexy tongue.gif

They certainly did a good job at the eyecatches at least *nods* She needs to have more though XD
Forsaken Love
after looking at the screenshots, i spy that riza said to ed the 'you love winry don't you' line which makes me veeeeeeeeeery happy, cause the aftermath of that at Briggs probably won't be cut! haaaaappy! And i spy mei fantasy wuuuuuuuuuuuuuv!
Flamez_Freak
im sorry ...can anyone post the link for the new cm...im dyin to watch it
amestris_star
QUOTE (Forsaken Love @ Nov 1 2009, 11:26 AM) *
after looking at the screenshots, i spy that riza said to ed the 'you love winry don't you' line which makes me veeeeeeeeeery happy, cause the aftermath of that at Briggs probably won't be cut! haaaaappy! And i spy mei fantasy wuuuuuuuuuuuuuv!

Yes she definitely said that, considering that he spat all his coffee on Black Hayate tongue.gif
Megabyte117
QUOTE (penguintruth @ Nov 1 2009, 02:37 AM) *

It was the first FMA volume I ever bought and is right now the most worn. So, yes, it is biggrin.gif

I was also disappointed by the episode. It didn't feel as if it held the same impact as the manga. It seems as if they barely touched upon Hawkeye's tattoo dry.gif
Thalogens
Ahhh, I wish I lived in the US with the live streaming, or Japan, even. AND-WHAT?? Gyah, maybe they're leaving the rest til later... with LanFan's missed scene, too...
Volume 15 was the first manga volume I bought ever- and they skip out half of it??!! I don't know, I need the raw/sub to make a justified comment. TT_TT
Hagaren_4ever
QUOTE (Michiyo- @ Nov 1 2009, 03:33 AM) *
Missed some scenes:

Roy call Riza by her name at some point in the manga? When?
Claudius
Uh yes...Hughes in Ishval...
To tell one truthfully, I've always had misgivings about that characterization in this flashback. I tend to prefer Anime1Hughes (plus the bigger role), who chose not to fight the war. So what is my problem with this story? Is it because the manga portrays Hughes as a killer?
NO
I've accepted that character point. I don't believe Anime1Hughes was some squeaky-clean soldier. His knife ability had to come somewhere (though I assume both Hughes' learned their skill before Ishbal). Also, Anime1Hughes puts knives into people's hands and he punches Roy in the face. Just because he stayed home doesn't mean he avoided any violent investigations (even if his body count was nowhere near Roy's). If anyone here needs bigger proof of where I stand, here is an edited excerpt of my fanfiction. It deals with a possible scenario of what Anime1Hughes did on the homefront:
"The mob started pelting us with rocks. The officers in charge ordered the troops. I was so angry. He deserved it…" He leaned his head, not exactly in grief.Gracia somehow got the strength to protest. "He was innocent."

Wrath sprang Hughes' face. Gracia saw his hand lung to her blouse. He crossed the floor pulling her with him. "I did nothing wrong!" He nearly cost Gracia her balance. Her equilibrium restoration made her see Hughes' face squeezed with misery. "Oh &$#@, everything's going straight to &%$#!" He too was losing his balance, like a doll breaking. He buried his face.

Gracia saw all of this against her normal presumptions. The feeling of utter disappointment added to her fears. Maes Hughes was an easy-going man that nothing seemed to ruffle. Who wouldn't hurt a fly! Not this man! "Maes, please…"

"I killed him." Hughes raised his face like a jackknife. The cool pleasance resumed on his face. "He didn't have a murderous bone in his body. But there was a panic...Out of nowhere he came running to me...I cut his throat then and there. Like instinct."

"Stop it…" Gracia shut her eyes. This was all a dream. It had to be!

But Hughes continued his reminisces, looking more complacent. Or mad. "I was praised for my work. They patted me on the back. Good job! I've done so much, and nobody's blamed me. I've killed and it's 'Good job!?'"..."Maybe they're right. Maybe I'm something wrong. I can kill..." The smile turned crooked... Hughes' cool lessened with his distance. His words left Gracia open to the surprise of strong hands grabbing her own tightly. "You must hate me…" His sorry eyes sparked insanity. "I'll make you hate me!"... [Anyone who wishes to comment about my writing- or lack of- Please do it thru private messages, lest we go off topic. BTW, Hughes faints before he gives Gracia the fate worse than death].

So, with that misinterpretation avoided, let's look at other problems. It's disturbing to see Hughes as another obedient-to-the-extreme soldier. Example: the scene where he helplessly witnesses Bradley reject the Ishvalan's terms of surrender . This obedience trait is a fundamental part of Roy and Armstrong's characterization in both Manga and Anime (Yes, I know some of you don't like Anime1Roy killing the Rockbells, but you have to admit MangaRoy would have done the same thing back then). But Hughes always seemed the most moral of the group. Kill enemy soldiers yes, but never the 'herd-civilians-to-the-gas-chamber-and-plead "I was only following orders!' type. Then again, from what I've written up there, I might sound a bit hypocritical.
Besides, doesn't the scene come off as potentially anti-climatic for that witness? The major basis for the Ishval flashback is to show where Roy & co. came from and how they will deal with it in the future. It sets up that Roy, Riza, and the others will eventually give the Homunculus their comeuppance. Unfortunately, we know Hughes will never get his chance. He dies without making his victory against the bad guys (On the other hand, he did give Lust that fatal wound that stopped her from killing Roy & and he is the only one of this killer cast to bring life).
Also- and I've written this twice- having Hughes share in this cast's desire for self-punishment brings up the question: Why did he have a kid?! It does seem rather cruel that MangaHughes would father one knowing he wants some retribution that will impair that responsibility. Oh well, perhaps Elysia was one of those beautiful accidents (There is that missing percent in Condom potency...)
With four soldiers (and one doctor) already giving angst in this flashback, Hughes does kinda come off as a 5th wheel. For the Bradley scene, Arakawa could have easily replaced him with Riza, her helplessness there foreshadowing her future situation . Of course, one can protest that without that scene, Hughes has no reason to help Roy. Well, isn't friendship enough? MangaGracia did say her husband helped people to his own disadvantage. The flashback in Anime1Episode25 (Farewell to the Great Man) emphasizes that characterization rather well. It doesn't matter if Hughes understands Roy's situation or not; his best friend is in trouble, and he will help him. What's wrong with that?
Well, that's my view. Forgive its paradoxical nature. Let the stones fly.
Alzea
QUOTE (Hagaren_4ever @ Nov 1 2009, 03:10 PM) *
QUOTE (Michiyo- @ Nov 1 2009, 03:33 AM) *
Missed some scenes:

Roy call Riza by her name at some point in the manga? When?
Yes, beginning of the chapter 58, when Papa Hawkeye is dying and Riza opens the door to the study where Papa and Roy are.
I really wanted to hear this too sad.gif
Ropespinner
(I just copied this from my LJ)

Not happy with this.

When I read volume 15 of the manga, I was devastated because of how soul-crushing it was. When I watched episode 30 of the new anime, I should have felt devastated, it would have been a good thing, but instead I'm just disappointed. Blah. Volume 15 gave so much depth to the manga story, made it clear how horrible the war was, gave motives to many of the characters. It makes readers understand why all those characters were so traumatized by the Ishbal war - heck, I was traumatized by it, and I only read it from a comic book! But episode 30 just walzes over the horrors of war, skipping so much it's not even funny. It's just a scratch in the surface. And the few silly scenes - Ed's spit take, Hughes dorking over the letter from Gracia, and especially the scene with Al and Mei in the end, which really should have been left to the next episode (it was in volume 16, not 15, seriously!) - were given way too much emphasis, whereas the dark, devastating, soul-crushing stuff wasn't. The propotions are seriously off there. It's like they were trying to make volume 15 easier for the viewers, but doing so, they lost track of what it was really supposed to be all about.

Volume 15 is definitely the darkest part of the manga. It's actually hard to read because it's so sad and emotionally distressing. But it's also very much a masterpiece. I don't think they were even trying to make it justice. Episode 30 is not remarkable in any way. Actually, it was so unremarkable I'm not even properly angry - I'm just disappointed in an "oh, whatever" way. And that's just sad.

Also, after volume 15, we got chapters 62 and 63, which brought back the hope. I love those chapters, because they have many beautiful, hertwarming, adorable and hopeful scenes. It worked as a beautiful contrast after the dark and devastating volume 15. I think one of the strong themes in FMA (manga) is hope, even in situations where it's hard to find, and chapters 48-53 bring this theme up perhaps better than any other part of the manga. Studio Bones is making the story a lot more shallow by messing that up.

EDIT. Oh, and Ed's face looked really off in pretty much every scene he was in, but Ed should not be the important character in this particular episode, so whatever.
mersaydee
I think they're saving some of the Ishaval stuff we saw in Volume 15 for later, honestly. They've sprinkled in a lot of Ishval flashbacks before (Mustang's and Hughes' conversation about Mustang becoming Fuhrer; Scar's brother, etc.) - and I think they've definitely saving things. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Riza's tattoo now, but they explain it later possibly during an emotional moment with Roy - I'd be blown away if they never bother to mention the significance of the tattoo. I also think they're saving the revelation that Kimblee was ordered and sent to kill the Rockbells for the episode where he meets Winry. As opposed to us knowing that he was planning to kill the Rockbells, then we see him meet Winry and think "that creep!" We'll see him be all silky and smooth and nice to her, then have it revealed that he was sent to kill her parents. It's out of order, but the emotional impact remains the same - in fact, it might be heightened when people realize just how heartless Kimblee can be, even to fellow Amestrians. I just have the feeling we haven't seen the last of Ishval yet, by a long shot. wink.gif
A Pierrot's Aria
QUOTE (mersaydee @ Nov 1 2009, 07:33 AM) *
I think they're saving some of the Ishaval stuff we saw in Volume 15 for later, honestly. They've sprinkled in a lot of Ishval flashbacks before (Mustang's and Hughes' conversation about Mustang becoming Fuhrer; Scar's brother, etc.) - and I think they've definitely saving things. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Riza's tattoo now, but they explain it later possibly during an emotional moment with Roy - I'd be blown away if they never bother to mention the significance of the tattoo. I also think they're saving the revelation that Kimblee was ordered and sent to kill the Rockbells for the episode where he meets Winry. As opposed to us knowing that he was planning to kill the Rockbells, then we see him meet Winry and think "that creep!" We'll see him be all silky and smooth and nice to her, then have it revealed that he was sent to kill her parents. It's out of order, but the emotional impact remains the same - in fact, it might be heightened when people realize just how heartless Kimblee can be, even to fellow Amestrians. I just have the feeling we haven't seen the last of Ishval yet, by a long shot. wink.gif

I agree, I think people are kind of...I dunno, over-reacting about this episode. I don't think it's bad at all.

Personally, I like the way the episode was handled, and I really don't think the "Riza!" scene, as people call it, was very important at all (it's most likely the RoyAi shippers found it important though- don't get me wrong, I love that couple, too, but I just don't think it's very important.)

It may seem rushed to some people, but I believe that (if I'm correct about it being both Riza and Marcoh giving their accounts in this episode) it's more about the accounts from two individuals to give a flavour of what happened rather than having everything shoved down your throat at one time (which I found slightly...I dunno...not boring, but tiring, sort of, in the manga) Similarly, you never know, Dr. Knox's account may even come in a different episode later to give viewers more of an idea of what happened so they can slowly piece the puzzle -so to speak- together. (I mean, it's not an illogical theory since they have changed some things around a bit and probably decided to handle it in a different way.)

My favourite part of the episode is definitely the look in their eyes, I thought it was a very powerful image, and was definitely my favourite scene in the manga- it just made a bigger impact on me than anything else.
kkg22104
QUOTE (Ropespinner @ Nov 1 2009, 09:25 AM) *
EDIT. Oh, and Ed's face looked really off in pretty much every scene he was in, but Ed should not be the important character in this particular episode, so whatever.

Agreed. Ed's hair was bothering me pretty much the whole episode. *twitch* I was really hoping Brotherhood was past the crappy art inconsistencies, but apparently there are still some bad teams who can't draw that well...

Overall, I thought the episode definitely did not do volume 15 justice. Like Rosespinner said, Bones made the episode a lot less dark and didn't focus on all the war elements. I also like mersaydee's thinking, and I hope they'll include more parts of the volume in later episodes wherever they fit best.
Cece
They cut too much. My chest felt heavy and I teared up when reading this part in the manga. I didn't feel anything when watching this episode. That's a shame. I was very disappointed.
SneakyRuler
How could they? I know I'm overreacting right now, but anyway... Don't mind Hawkeye sensei dying in his bed, but the kind of cut that was done between shot of Hawkeye in shower and Edward outside the door gave me impresion like Hawkeye always took her baths with her door ajar so anyone yould enter.

Miss Grand's scenes a lot, miss seeing Dr. Knox in there (I actually read those chapters in manga about a week ago and when the screams started, screams of Ishbalans that were held in for experiments, I froze just reading it).

Loved Hughes going all lovey dovey about a letter from Gracia BUT then... Hawkeye just walks from behind a rock? Seriously? (Hawkeye looking at Mustang through the viewpoint of her gun is a favourite picture of Ishval) And after that all three of them walk back to the ton ruins, take some boxes and sit in the middle of a crossing while all the soldiers pass around. Excelent.

Kimblee... was so evil and disurbing... and we sure as him see him again when he'd tell Winry how sad he was that he didn't reach her parents still alive. Looking forward to see that flashback.

Bradley as great and mighty as ever.

And then all is suddenly over and everybody goes home. Oh my. Another scene MUST be put some other time. We must be introduced to Mustangs company in Ishval... or not?

Well, as a whole this episode was disappoining, especially when I know they cand do better, excelent even like episode 26, and the more it hurts how scattered all those images looked and felt. If they only picture after picture followed the manga they could get emotional impact enough, could've skipped Winry's parents and Scar's story as they did now.
Vlyse
Was that a shot of Isaac I saw about halfway in? I found that a nice touch to the episode.
Broken Chouchou
QUOTE (Vlyse @ Nov 1 2009, 10:18 AM) *
Was that a shot of Isaac I saw about halfway in?

I believe it was! At 10.04; metal sheet covering the arm, crew cut, shadowy eyes... nice touch indeed. Now on to finish watching the rest of the episode. So far I feel it has been quite punch-packing, impact wise, despite what everyone has said smile.gif I really like the bombastic militaristy music.

EDIT:

Now that I've watched the whole ep, I'll give away some thoughts.

- That (new!) vocal piece which played during the creation of the Philosopher's stone was great. Conveyed some serious emotion.
- I feel like making small (and essentially insignificant) changes like Riza's father dying in bed helps establish Brotherhood as it's own series, instead of having it be a slideshow of moving panels from the manga. It feels more of an adaption that way, rather than a slavish "recap" (?).
- Good way to end the episode; quite a cliffhanger. Or at least it would be, if Marcoh had gotten some more screentime. As it is, we barely knew who he was, which makes it harder to emphatize with him as a character.
- About screentime, too bad they left out Marcoh talking to Dr. Knox. And Armstrong proving himself to be human. And Kimbley ruining that one humane act. And Riza saving Roy and Hughes from that Ishbalan soldier. And Envy's precence on the battlefield, right after Kimblee goes extra crazy. In short, they left out a couple of great scenes, a lot which I didn't mention here. Let's hope they'll put things like this in later.
- The only thing I actually felt lacking with the episode was the missing feeling of war. Where's the chaos? Where's the hectic battles? Where's the stray bullets and nearby explosions? This is why I think they should have made a FULL flashback. Thrown us back in time for maybe two full episodes, and really having the past of Ishbal feel like the PRESENCE. The here. The now. Like it is now, they're sprinkling (as someone previously said) scenes from Ishval here and there throughout the series, which is really not a bad way to have it. It's just that it takes away the impression of being "in the moment".
- Oh, and Bradley was finally made justice! So far he's been looking chubby (facially), IMO. The lines of his face has been ridicilously thick at times, making him feel really cartoonish. Now he resembled his serious-looking anime1 counterpart more. Which I think is good.
- The eyecatches were awesome biggrin.gif This is the first time I've looked at Riza as an attractive character xP
- And lastly, it just hit me that we've probably gone through more than half of the series! I mean, we're already at episode 30! It suddenly feels like it's gone really fast T_O
Irena
While it's true that a lot was left out, my guess is that they're trying to spread things out. I wouldn't be surprised if the stuff we missed pops up later in the series.

At least we finally got some cute Riza eyecatches x]
S.F. Thunder
I have no doubt that they'll save the scenes that were left out until a later time, like mentioned before. In the meantime, I like what they did with what they have. Kimbley sounds... different... though. Like they used a different voice actor all of a sudden. Maybe I'm just imagining it. On a slightly different note, has he always had blue eyes? They were yellow in anime1, but maybe in the manga gold eyes are supposed to be reserved for people from Xerxes and their descendants?

Anyway, despite the missing pieces I liked this episode. It wasn't the best, and it could've used more emotional effect, but it could've been a lot worse. Episode 13, anyone? 16? And now I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of book 15 in more effective places throughout the series.

Thalogens
Meh, I'm a little miffed... considering the awesomness of volume 15 - I was expecting an episode like 19...
Was it just me or did all the dialogue seem really clipped. Im sure they said much more in the manga, especially Riza's bits, and Hawkeye Sensei's plea for Riza to forgive him? ehh, I'm not even sure if this is a spoiler. meh. Or did it just seem really short because I wasn't reading it this time and I can't undrstand Japanese... aha.. *waits for subs*
Bah, it was an average ep, which disapoints me a little. Maybe if we pay them, they can be motivated enough to do something better...

It reminded me a lot of the Harry Potter movies, taking things out, moving things around and putting new stuff in. They better not do this to the last 10 chapters ¬_¬
Mr. Deathy
^DoxyWings, the dialogue clipping has been there in every episode of the series so far. Some conversations have only had about 20% of their total dialogue from the manga.

This was just a very extreme case of it though since they not only were removing tons of scenes, they were trying to cram the few they kept into a short space of time.
Broken Chouchou
QUOTE (Irena @ Nov 1 2009, 12:17 PM) *

You mean sexy Riza eyecatches wink.gif
A Pierrot's Aria
QUOTE (Broken Chouchou @ Nov 1 2009, 11:56 AM) *
- And lastly, it just hit me that we've probably gone through more than half of the series! I mean, we're already at episode 30! It suddenly feels like it's gone really fast T_O

Yeah! I think this is the reason I believe that there is still more Ishbal to come, as well as further explanation of Riza's tattoo etc in later episodes, so I don't think people need to worry so much like they have been in this thread.

As an aspiring historian myself, I like the way character's different accounts are told seperately (and throughout different episodes) like sources from different people in an history project, because the big picture continues to grow and grow as the series goes; I think this makes it way more interesting than just spouting it out and flooding us with all of it at one time. : )
Broken Chouchou
QUOTE (A Pierrot's Aria @ Nov 1 2009, 12:16 PM) *
As an aspiring historian myself, I like the way character's different accounts are told seperately (and throughout different episodes) like sources from different people in an history project, because the big picture continues to grow and grow as the series goes; I think this makes it way more interesting than just spouting it out and flooding us with all of it at one time. : )

I thougt about it like that too. Sort of reminded me of Lost, THE show of flashbacks x] If they manage to make all the flashbacks feel connected and coherent, and not too confusing, I might actually prefer Ishval as a growing arc. In other words, to have pieces and mysteries of it revealed as the show goes along, as well as the increasing of depth. And the idea about viewing the war from different peoples perspectives sounds really interesting smile.gif
Meu
One volume in one episode? Oh Bones, why not two episodes? Some kick-[All hail lord Xenu] material was cut off~
Of course this depends on the viewer, but I think the Ishval flashback would've been more effective if it was kept in one piece. I love manga's volume 15, the story really swallowed me there. It's one of the most touching parts of the manga; I felt anxiety and the whole thing felt wonderfully chaotic, war-like.
This episode was just way too clean or something. So emotionless. :|

Cutting the war to pieces prevents the viewer to sink into the story... I think. It hits harder as whole.
And I'm bitter that they didn't show the whole scene with Fessler giving all these stupid orders and Grand shooting him. Grand's an awesome dude, really. (Fessler was fun, too.)

But hey, I love Kimbley. Such a creepy man. <3 I think his voice suits him, though I do think that it sounded a bit different than in the first episode?
The part with him yelling how wonderful the philosopher's stone is was really cool.

....And a tad of of Edwin is never a bad thing...
Claudius
QUOTE (Meu @ Nov 1 2009, 01:44 PM) *
And I'm bitter that they didn't show the whole scene with Fessler giving all these stupid orders and Grand shooting him. Grand's an awesome dude, really. (Fessler was fun, too.)
This brings up a question on MangaGran: Was he in the know, or was he just like Raven?
SneakyRuler
Nobody mentioned Envy after ending song... I love him very much (in a completely platonic way) and he was amazing this time, his reaction to Dr. Marcoh with his head blown off. Nice tiny bit, well made.

@Claudius I think he was too sincere to know, more probably seen as sacrifice candidate so he'd better not to have any idea smile.gif
TheSentinel
QUOTE (SneakyRuler @ Nov 1 2009, 05:07 PM) *
Nobody mentioned Envy after ending song... I love him very much (in a completely platonic way) and he was amazing this time, his reaction to Dr. Marcoh with his head blown off. Nice tiny bit, well made.

@Claudius I think he was too sincere to know, more probably seen as sacrifice candidate so he'd better not to have any idea smile.gif

That has always been an interesting question. He shoots fessler, to let the cleric try to bring the conflict to an end. He also shoot fessler for wasting soldier's lives. However, he never appears to have any issues/problems slaughtering Ishbalans though. He is named in charge, at least in name, of the Alchemy Research center. A vary ambiguous character is he... also dead.

Over all... I was kind of disappointed. I love the whole manga ishbal flashback. I do hope they keep adding missing pieces in future episodes (since they've been sprinkling it in through out the series.)

Its the Ishbal flashback which is good... but not enough of it... which is bad.

I'd rate the episode as good... but disappointingly incomplete.
EveningAlchemist
Well, despite the fact I feel like crying a little bit, since this part makes me so emotional, I can at least get some coherent thought about this episode in here. (And yes, I'm praying to the GOD of anime to please let them put in some of the other scenes as well. Such as Armstrong's attempt to save the Ishbalans, which had a big impact on me.) They kept some of the best lines of dialogue from Kimblee, Bradley, and Roy's master, so that's makes me happy. The music I thought was used very well, and that one new piece with the singing lady was just beautiful and me quiver a bit, with its haunting tones. I LOVE IT! It's really amazing how music can affect your emotions like that.

Kimblee was as creepy as I can picture him, no doubt. And Roy was just as emo-tastic. Hughes was funny too, like a ray of heaven's sunshine in hell. <3
This was one of my favourite volume of the manga for obvious reasons, and I knew it'd be hard to match its epic and accurate portrayal of war. I'll just think of it this way - it's more insightful, jaw-dropping and dripping with emotion than the Ishbal episode from the previous anime. (Even that made an impact on me at the time too - that says a lot about this episode. wink.gif )

All in all, they kept the parts with the most impact, not the tiny details we tend to worry about, so I just won't worry about it... too much. tongue.gif
mandymtt
wow- I know there is a lot of rage towards this episode, but I didn't hate it at all. Sure there were some things I missed-

-Riza sniping Roy and Hugh's attacker instead of her just being like 'oh hey roy whats up"
-Riza asking Roy to burn her back for her so no one else can learn flame alchemy. (I just think that was a great building point for their relationship)
-the same Kimbly things most people missed like the Rockbell situation.

But other then that-
-The animation was a lot better then some of the other eps.
-I thought Ed's face looked great! He's looking older and he had good expression.
-overall the episode had nice continuity showing the coffee empty as her story ended.
-and Kimbly such a damn good villain. Hes seriously in my top three favorite characters of the manga. Hes twisted, evil, and damn charming. They did a great job through his speech about the satisfactory of a kill.

I guess ideally this should have been two episode, because it did feel very fast, I found myself going back to re-watch things. And I wish they had shown more of Armstrong. But This is one of the better episodes so far IMO. And bones seems to be doing ok as far as screwing up Riza.... glad to see her getting more attention. Can't wait to see Olivia!!!

QUOTE (Irena @ Nov 1 2009, 11:17 AM) *
While it's true that a lot was left out, my guess is that they're trying to spread things out. I wouldn't be surprised if the stuff we missed pops up later in the series.

i agree- I bet bones will wind up switching some things up and include more war flashbacks and such in other eps. well.. we can hope.
Bag of Magic Food
Now I'm glad I didn't read the manga version of the story first, so my impression of this show isn't all just "OMG they cut my favorite part!"

Instead I can go back and read the manga later on and think, "Oh, so some other stuff happened too, nice!"
Billea_the_Turtle
-Kimbly always had blue eyes?
-a touch of EdWin is always nice. At least we should be able to see the aftermath of that in Briggs.
-eyecatch of Riza
-loved that part with Kimbly talking about a soldier's duty.
-what's with Olivia in a commercial? oh and who's her voice actor?
-overall, a decent episode. but it was a bit too short for the whole Ishbal arc. I mean, come on, only 1 episode!? they better spread out Ishbal through some other episodes.

IMO for some reason Roy looked a bit weird to me compared to some of the other episodes.
montyalbo
Like many others I was disappointed to see a bunch of material missing from this episode. But I have a feeling that we'll see the scenes later in the series. Honestly I think that the Kimbley flashback shouldn't be shown until after we get a proper introduction to present day Kimbley.
zonkiethegreat
Umm...this ep was definitely not as good as it should have been. I'm a little disappointed as many of you are as well. I think this needed at least 2 eps.

Am I the only one who feels like there wasn't enough emotional build up in this ep??? Everything seemed rushed. Especially the Ishbal annihilation, which in the manga is heart-wrenching stuff. I felt like the ep kinda fell flat in this regard.

And the Riza eyecatches were good, but not so great. I feel like they could have given her more detail and better lighting, and maybe not have her sooo hunched over in the second eyecatch.

All in it was an OK ep.
Mistress of Misery
The episode stood on its own; shakily, yes, but still standing - as long as you don't compare it to the manga. It pretty much just fails in comparison. There were definitely a lot of profound scenes cut and I have to admit I'm disappointed, but just going by what was in the episode itself, it was...ok.
Bag of Magic Food
QUOTE (Broken Chouchou @ Nov 1 2009, 11:56 AM) *
Oh, and Bradley was finally made justice! So far he's been looking chubby (facially), IMO. The lines of his face has been ridicilously thick at times, making him feel really cartoonish. Now he resembled his serious-looking anime1 counterpart more. Which I think is good.

They probably changed his face only to look a little younger in the flashback. He does normally have a lot of linework on his face, but I don't see how that looks "chubby"; he actually looks rather thin and bony with his current look to me. I'm just glad that King Bradley has a consistent design in this show. I read some of the manga, and his face seems to change shape every chapter. I'm amazed that the first anime managed to make Bradley look decent most of the time with the 30 or so chapters they had to work with.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.