Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Episode 29: Struggle Of The Fool - Content Discussion Thread
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Anime
Tombow
Talk-back/content discussion for English dubbed episode on Adult Swim starts on page 4. smile.gif

Please post the discussions on the content of episode 29 here.
This thread is declared as a Spoiler zone for the content of the first 29 episodes.

I'll be back later and fill out the rest of the first post. ^^
black~hayate
Okay. Here I go:
-WTF? Time change! Haven't they heard about it? Today the summer time changed to winter time! Is that normal that the Japanese ignore it or do they do that later?
-I imagined it with the 520 cents alot better and more detailed! They diddn't even show the coins. It could have been done better. Seriously...
-We got Roy Eyecatch. Will we get Riza eyecatch? Oh... no, it's Marcoh T____T
-Oh. Marco got crazy.
-This episode is so detailless. I mean the way it's drawn.
-The music isn't nice this time.
-Chuui, Taisa and Alex in a car... lol?
-Yes, Ed, bring the gun to the lieutenant. So that we can see the tatoo in the next episode <3
-OMG NEXT EPISODE ISHBAAAL FLASHBAAACKS!!!ONEONE11
Alzea
Ah, Japanese people doesn't have a time change. Tsk. I knew about that still I woke up too late xP I started watching ep from cms.
Honestly, I thought they are going to end this episode with cliffhanger and they did, with Marcoh and Scar, I wasn't expecting this, I wanted Riza's back, really. Ok, I'll say something about ep when subs or at least raw will be out.
Michiyo-
I thought the episode will end with Riza's tattoo, but it looks like they left that for the next ep.
I agree, Ed borrowing money from Roy was too rushed.
Marcoh was weird when he began laughing.
I hope Riza will get an eyecatch next week. Can't wait for the Ishbal flashbacks! biggrin.gif
penguintruth
My initial thoughts:

- Lol, Envy saw Ed's wang.
- I love Bradley's second run-through of Al, this time missing
- I'm getting used to hearing Greed's voice coming out of Ling
- The scene on the roof between Greed and Bradley is great
- Flashback of Armstrong's breakdown!
- Injured Xingese showdown!
- Edward's looking pretty mature.
- Oooh, intense post-credit scene with Marcoh and Scar
- UGA, UGA UGA

Not a super exciting episode, but still pretty good. Next week, Ishbal flashback!
Sannom
QUOTE ("Michiyo-")

People, remember, this becomes important after laugh.gif I'm sure absolutely nobody paid attention to this before Arakawa told us to huh.gif You're spoiling all the people who never read the manga!
Michiyo-
The screenshots are up:
http://randomc.animeblogger.net/2009/10/25...brotherhood-29/
shiroe
QUOTE (Sannom @ Oct 25 2009, 03:51 PM) *
QUOTE ("Michiyo-")

People, remember, this becomes important after laugh.gif I'm sure absolutely nobody paid attention to this before Arakawa told us to huh.gif You're spoiling all the people who never read the manga!

Agreed! There's nothing wrong with that scene. In the manga it was just one panel with bubbles of dialogue. That scene is of no importance right now in this episode. wink.gif
Tombow
Aha, <OT, but a good reminder to U.S. fans for the next week when we switch times> :

Anyone who is in the U.S., and following the live streaming of FMA:B episodes from Japan, for the next week's episode, don't forget that they don't change time in Japan. ^^
biggrin.gif

(I'll delete this post after the next episode. ^^)

QUOTE (black~hayate @ Oct 25 2009, 04:28 AM) *
-WTF? Time change! Haven't they heard about it? Today the summer time changed to winter time! Is that normal that the Japanese ignore it or do they do that later?

@black~hayate - You're in Europe, and you guys, except for Ireland, do the time change this weekend, right? In the U.S., (except areas where they don't use Daylight Saving Time) we switch back from the current Daylight Saving time to the Standard time NEXT weekend.
And, no, they don't switch time in Japan. smile.gif
alphonse-fma
phew , naked edward .. i think its for fan girls services tongue.gif
black~hayate
QUOTE (Tombow @ Oct 25 2009, 10:38 AM) *
QUOTE (black~hayate @ Oct 25 2009, 04:28 AM) *

@black~hayate - You're in Europe, and you guys, except for Ireland, do the time change this weekend, right? In the U.S., we switch back from the current Daylight Saving time to the Standard time NEXT weekend.
And, no, they don't switch time in Japan. smile.gif

Eh, sorry if I ask this here, so that means that the episode will be aired one hour earlier every time now? For me, I mean?
....Yes. ^^ ~ Tombow

If this is the case, then I'm happy, I can watch fma and don't have to miss my shooting training xD
(sry for offtopic)

Now:
I guess you guys are right with the cents promise thing. It would be just cooler when we see the part 2 of the promise (Roy asking Ed to pay him back the money) , when the watchers who don't know the manga, get a light bulb over their head. There is a high chance that the promise will be forgotten if it came so short xD
S.F. Thunder
I think my favourite part of this episode was the preview for the next one. o3o First episode we get to see Kimbley's full face outside of the opening! xD Ishbal! My favourite part of the series! I can't wait! I really hope they do a really amazing job with episode 30, because if that's the only episode they're doing the flashback in, it needs to be good. :/

Anyway, as for this episode, I agree that the art was a bit lacking this time around, but you also have to remember that this was filled with mostly talking, so there was no real need for amazing animation. Better they save that for the episodes to come, y'know?

-I always thought Envy's soldier disguise would have a different voice. Something cool. Guess not.
-Roy's looking almost cute in this episode. Weird.
-They kept the scar on his hand, though, so that's good.
-Riza's awfully nice sounding. I guess it was fitting, though.
-Xingese rivalry! I love how they did it.

Can't wait for the neeext~!
Kasumisty
Well, I must say, I didn't like this episode as well. The animation was simply horrible. Repetative motions, no coins at all (wtf?) wobbly art. And nothing much happening as well. The only good scenes for me were Ed's shower (modified through and through of course...) and Ranfan fighting with Mei.

Why do they have mess with the story so much?

2/10
Sannom
Mess with the story??? Are you being hypocrital on purpose or is it natural? I didn't see anything messy with how they made the story, and didn't see any strong lack in animation and drawings.

I personnaly loved the last bit with Scar, the guy's anger gave me the creep. I really was worried about Marcoh there. I was also pleasantly surprised at the discussion with Winry on the phone, I was expecting her to freak out, but no she kept that soft tone the whole discussion, and even then Ed freaked out laugh.gif
shiroe
QUOTE (Kasumisty @ Oct 25 2009, 08:58 PM) *
Well, I must say, I didn't like this episode as well. The animation was simply horrible. Repetative motions, no coins at all (wtf?) wobbly art. And nothing much happening as well. The only good scenes for me were Ed's shower (modified through and through of course...) and Ranfan fighting with Mei.

2/10

Well I, for one, find this episode very well done and enjoyable! What's wrong with the animation? I hardly noticed anything. Certainly you can't expect a 'rest' episode like this one to have superb animation like 26, 28, right? But it's in no way horrible imo.

Nothing much happened? You must be kidding, them crammed 2 chapters of the manga in this one episode, and they did a good job this time around, nothing much was changed or omitted, well, apart from the shower scene (which I didn't give a damn about and is just one small unimportant scene) and maybe some lines were shortened. But look back at ep 11, now that's messing up with the story. This ep was much better than that.

Of course, hating it or liking it is your own choice, I just find your reasons for hating it rather ridiculous and unreasonable. huh.gif
TheSentinel
Don't know Japanese so can't rate/respond to any of the dialogue.

It looked like a decent episode, looked to follow the manga nicely.

Only gripe, while the angry scar ending was nice, I would have much preferred the tatoo... oh well... minor issue... easily forgiven... as long as its actually shown in the next episode, and not ignored/censored/cut whathaveyou.
Mr. Deathy
Episode seemed decent enough...but im not sure how much I like it when they move scenes to after the credits (before the preview). I'm worred some people are missing important scenes because of this as I know a lot of people close the episodes once they see the credits start rolling.

I'm a bit irked that they cut out Al questioning Ed's use of the philosopher's stone as passage fee (I don't understand Japanese but it's pretty clear that it's not part of the conversation). It's not like it was ever referenced again but ignoring it completely makes it seem like Al doesn't care at all what Ed used to open the gate...and Al is clever enough that he always thinks about these things.
Kasumisty
QUOTE (Sannom @ Oct 25 2009, 04:25 PM) *
Mess with the story??? Are you being hypocrital on purpose or is it natural? I didn't see anything messy with how they made the story, and didn't see any strong lack in animation and drawings.

I don't want to start a flame war, but do you know the explanation of word "hypocritical"?

QUOTE (shiroe @ Oct 25 2009, 04:32 PM) *
QUOTE (Kasumisty @ Oct 25 2009, 08:58 PM) *

2/10

Well I, for one, find this episode very well done and enjoyable! What's wrong with the animation? I hardly noticed anything. Certainly you can't expect a 'rest' episode like this one to have superb animation like 26, 28, right? But it's in no way horrible imo.

As I said, it was very repetitive, lacked of details and the designs of characters were inconsistencial. And yes, I expect all of episodes to be high quality.

Nothing much happened? You must be kidding, them crammed 2 chapters of the manga in this one episode, and they did a good job this time around, nothing much was changed or omitted, well, apart from the shower scene (which I didn't give a damn about and is just one small unimportant scene) and maybe some lines were shortened. But look back at ep 11, now that's messing up with the story. This ep was much better than that.

They cut tiny bits from all good moments I found in manga, they chaged expressions and poses I liked very much. And adding an elevator at the beginning only worsened my thoughts about that episode.

Of course, hating it or liking it is your own choice, I just find your reasons for hating it rather ridiculous and unreasonable. huh.gif

I think I expressed myself unclearly, my bad. I would explain it better. And yes, IMO. I don't see any reason in bashing someone's for their opinion on anime tongue.gif
shiroe
@Kasumisty

Ok, your reasons sound less unreasonable now, although I still disagree. biggrin.gif And don't take me wrong, I didn't want to bash you for your opinions or anything. I know it's all about personal preference, and you seem to like details a lot, which is fine by me.

I still wonder though, what's wrong about "adding an elevator at the beginning"? ohmy.gif I know that scene isn't in the manga, but an elevator at the millitary headquater seems fine enough to me.
Kasumisty
QUOTE (shiroe @ Oct 25 2009, 08:40 PM) *
I still wonder though, what's wrong about "adding an elevator at the beginning"? ohmy.gif I know that scene isn't in the manga, but an elevator at the millitary headquater seems fine enough to me.

The setting of the anime - it's XVIII or XIX century knowing that Arakawa set the manga reality based on Industrial Revolution in Britain. I don't think elevators were invented by then, nor were so advanced. For me, it's an eye sore.
kkg22104
I only saw the raw and am waiting for subs, but it seemed like a fairly decent episode to me.

-The comedic moments were really great, Dr. Knox and the Xingese girls made me laugh out loud laugh.gif
-Even though I'm still not quite used to Greed's voice coming from Ling, it's actually pretty hot XD
-Marcoh's laughing freaked me out a little.
-Ed in mature clothes = <3 And the Edwin was cute too.

Can't wait to see what Bones does with Ishbal happy.gif
Ropespinner
QUOTE (Kasumisty @ Oct 25 2009, 09:44 PM) *

The setting of the anime - it's XVIII or XIX century knowing that Arakawa set the manga reality based on Industrial Revolution in Britain. I don't think elevators were invented by then, nor were so advanced. For me, it's an eye sore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elevator#History
In FMA manga/Brotherhood anime, the current year is 1914 (not sure about the first anime). So there could have been that kind of elevators for about 60 years by then. Just sayin'.
[EDIT.]
Oh, and in the manga there are elevators in Briggs anyway.
Irena
- Why is it that you can see the scar on Roy's hand in this episode, but in the eyecatch (where he's holding up his hand) it's not there? B|
- I imagined the scene between Roy, Riza and Armstrong a bit differently, but oh well.
- The part where Ed was talking to Winry was kinda cute x3
- Marcoh, you looked weird e____e

The animation was a bit dodgy here and there but overall I thought it was a decent episode.
mandymtt
-I feel like there's such a huge lack of emotion in this ep. I know animation budget is one thing but damn. When Wrath first mentions winry being a hostage in the manga Ed is pretty filled with rage, and mustang facial expressions are totally lacking I think throughout the episode.
-Envy in the shower was weird. Glad they kept his antenna hand clap!
-Greed/Lin is just as cool in the anime as he is in the manga. the intro with him and wrath was good and its setting up their war nicely.
-I was kind of hoping they were going to end the ep with hawkeyes tattoo considering it was such a cliffhanger in the chapters.
-as always.. loved the Edwin. Her fingers fidgeting with the cord was a nice touch.

cant wait to see Kimbly in the upcoming eps! He's such a gangster in his white suit. My favorite villain in the whole series.
Vicious74
They didn't show Dr. Knox talking about his family, which was me worried since the conclusion to that subplot is amazing.

Great episode otherwise, even if the art was indeed lacking.

Best moments were hearing Ling's voice again for that brief moment and Kimblee in the preview.
Seeker of Truth
QUOTE (Kasumisty @ Oct 25 2009, 11:44 AM) *

WAIT!!!! You are complaining about Elevators when they were "created" about the same time as cars, both of which well predate radio and telephones. tongue.gif The Elevator has been a "mature" technology longer than cars also.

Vicious74, Knox and Al discuss that his wife left him and about his son, when Al finds a family photo.
Nzm
Actually, FMA seems to be set in late XIX century.

And about the ep: nice one, though there were much better ones. I think that the problem is that it isn't emotional enough. It generally lacked something.
The storyline is awesome off course, as it follows manga. The animation is nice, though the music gets too repetitive.
Anyway, storyline develops. If they don't fail it, the next week will be awesome.
Kasumisty
QUOTE (Ropespinner @ Oct 25 2009, 10:05 PM) *
QUOTE (Kasumisty @ Oct 25 2009, 09:44 PM) *

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elevator#History
In FMA manga/Brotherhood anime, the current year is 1914 (not sure about the first anime). So there could have been that kind of elevators for about 60 years by then. Just sayin'.
[EDIT.]
Oh, and in the manga there are elevators in Briggs anyway.

QUOTE (Seeker of Truth @ Oct 26 2009, 02:59 PM) *
QUOTE (Kasumisty @ Oct 25 2009, 11:44 AM) *

WAIT!!!! You are complaining about Elevators when they were "created" about the same time as cars, both of which well predate radio and telephones. tongue.gif The Elevator has been a "mature" technology longer than cars also.

Vicious74, Knox and Al discuss that his wife left him and about his son, when Al finds a family photo.

I see, it just looked too futuristic to me.
Broken Chouchou
Yeah, about the music. It's reeeeally starting to feel dry after being overused so much. Most of the pieces aren't actually bad, but when you hear them too much you just get tired of them. Still, the episode itself was allright.
Jealous Rogo
What was with the art this week? I noticed a few people saying 'wow Ed looked older' but to me most of the cast looked older, I think everyone's heads were slighty smaller than normal this week. Not terrible just a bit of a step down.

- I liked the added scene with Envy at the beginning primarily because it established that the person with Ed and Al during the shower scenes, etc was Envy, something the manga actually didn't do all that well. Yes I know Envy's taken that form before, but to me it just wasn't entirely clear. So much so I missed it first time I read that chapter.

- Hmmm they removed Al and Ed arguing about the fact Ed used the stone, which is a shame as that was a pretty good scene, kinda sad to see it go.

- I've always liked the conversation with Wrath (also nice that they added some reaction to Bradley being revealed to Ed and Al as definately a Homunculus)

- Ah Ling/Greed rocks, I just can't explain it but he does

- Greed and Wrath's convo was nice

- So was Lan Fan and Mays

If it seems like I don't have alot to say it's because I really dont. This episode wasn't terrible nor was it amazing, it's a standard set up episode for me. It's nice and all I just don't have alot of give an opinion about. Dull isn't it?
Forsaken Love
^ I've read that part in the manga loaaaaaaads and i never actually knew that that soldier was envy in disguise XD (does that make me an idiot? XD)

an alright episode, just these little scene cuttings get on my nerves, as i can't help but feel that these cut scenes are sacrificing essential character development, the fact that Al objects to the use of the philosphers stone so strongly and Ed been so heated up to restore his brother no matter what seemed important to me, in the same way ed remembering how lonley he felt when he lost al, when he was comforting al after getting out of gluttoney last ep, these scenes are only about 30seconds, brotherhood is just missing too many of them out _

anyway nothin much to say about this episode, still got to see subs, i liked the edwin phone conv XD
Kaleidoscope
Another good episode. I loved that they included the part where Ed repairs the shop. His taste is indeed horrible, but in a small way, it's a really powerful scene. The "thank you" part gives me chills. I did think it was weird that they ended where they did, I too would have preferred Riza's tattoo, but it's really not a big deal.

Also, it took me a rewind to realize that thing coming out of Father's chest at the very end is Gluttony. Yuuuck...
Bag of Magic Food
Baby Gluttony! Cute!

Is every episode going to have an epilogue in Father's lair from now on? That was pretty cool how Scar cut off the ending music.
mandymtt
yea, why was gluttony coming out of fathers chest? I hope they dont add lib him back into the anime.
kkg22104
QUOTE (mandymtt @ Oct 26 2009, 10:14 PM) *
yea, why was gluttony coming out of fathers chest? I hope they dont add lib him back into the anime.

It's the same as this page in the manga: http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/57/22/
I guess no one really noticed it...

And what exactly do you mean by "add lib" him back? O_o He comes back in the manga too.
Kyelinn
I guess because Father's rebuilding him? o.O It was in the manga too: http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/57/22/

lol ninja'd! xD but yeah, it's quite possible this girl hasn't read the manga so she didn't know about Gluttony. ^^
Jen_Elric
Well i thought this episode was pretty good! Had a nice balance of drama and comedy, I thought.
I think my fave part was when Ed, Al, and Roy were in Bradley's office, and May coughed inside Al's armor. Then Al started coughing like crazy to cover it up! so funny!
Liked the Ed/Win phone convo. Very nice!
Also liked when May and RanFan met. Dr. Knox was so funny!
It was a little weird that the ending music was playing while Marcoh was trying to have Scar kill him. Though, I did like it that the music stopped right when Scar slammed Marcoh on the ground.

I can't wait for the next episode!! Story of the Ishbal War!!
zonkiethegreat
QUOTE (Kasumisty @ Oct 25 2009, 02:44 PM) *

It not the 18th or 19th Century. It's the 20th Century. It's 1914 or 1915 in the FMA world. Who cares about the elevator??? Nothing in the FMA world is EXACTLY like it was in our world. Automail??? Winry's fashion, I mean who wore that stuff in the 1900's??? The cars are pretty spiffy and fast too, and some of the architecture and weaponry used is also pretty ahead of its time.

So the elevator shouldn't be much of an issue.

Other than that, I thought it was a good episode. I think some of the animation was a little off at times, but overall it was good. I loved GreedLing in the ep. When he exposed part of himself to Wrath, very cool.

I also wish they showed Riza's tattoo at the end. I'm sure they will show it at the beginning of the next episode.
Bag of Magic Food
QUOTE (Jen_Elric @ Oct 26 2009, 10:01 PM) *
I think my fave part was when Ed, Al, and Roy were in Bradley's office, and May coughed inside Al's armor. Then Al started coughing like crazy to cover it up! so funny!

Al coughs without lungs... Interesting...
penguintruth
What was with the awkward art/animation in this episode? At least Riza's eyes managed to stay one size. I may even get used to her voice sometime soon.

I love the look on Bradley's face, though, when Ling's voice returned. I was hoping that scene would be good, and wasn't disappointed. Probably my favorite scene in the episode.

I guess they're planning to cut down on the Ishbal footage next episode by having Armstrong's breakdown inserted in this one. I liked it, though. It really helped Armstrong's words about staying in the military and having run away.

What is with Scar threatening Marcoh at the end? Dude, he just told you he WANTS you to kill him.

Scar's there going, "Rwar, I'ma kill you if you don't tell me everything!"

Marcoh's there saying, "Uh, yeah, stupid. I want you to."

The next episode looks like it will be epic. I hope it lives up to my expectations, because volume 15 was my favorite.
Mr. Deathy
^I don't think the idea with Scar is that he's threatening to kill Marcoh if he doesn't speak, it's more that he's saying "I'm going to kill you whether you want me to or not Marcoh, but first tell me EVERYTHING". I don't think the "before this right arm destroys you" quote is a threat, but just stating "before you get the luxury of me killing you, I DEMAND the whole truth"
S.F. Thunder
What was bothersome (to me) about the Scar and Marcoh scene was how the ending song carried into a good part of it. I mean, I like the song, but music with a name such as "Holding Hands" should not be playing in the background of a very serious, very tense and very not girly scene.
mandymtt
QUOTE (kkg22104 @ Oct 26 2009, 07:21 PM) *
QUOTE (mandymtt @ Oct 26 2009, 10:14 PM) *

It's the same as this page in the manga: http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/57/22/
I guess no one really noticed it...

And what exactly do you mean by "add lib" him back? O_o He comes back in the manga too.

OOOh yea! My bad. Totally forgot about that in the old chapters. That retracts my entire statement then. I thought the anime was adding extra things for him. I know he comes back later. I was just talking about that scene specifically. Too bad he gets eaten later by pride.... there's just no love for gluttony anywhere.
EveningAlchemist
The episode wasn't super epic, but we have to take breaks from the heart-pounding action every once in a while, you know? tongue.gif
There was alot of awesome humor, especially in the beginning with the naked Ed, (was it just me or was acting so casual about strutting naked, until...) and also the encounter between Mei and Lan Fan ended funny as well. (And started out intense - the look on Lan Fan's face was just wow!)

to zonkiethegreat: Yeah, I always did wonder how Al talked, or even sees or hears thing for that matter. But I can't complain really, 'cause a main character that's a vegetable isn't really fun...

Ed's blood stained watch looked really good in that scene where he tried to get out of being a state alchemist. I secretly hoped he'd still be one, while I was reading the manga for the first time... What would he be if he wasn't a state alchemist, an architect? (Reference to when he fixed the apartment.) Maybe a model for a leather clothing store or something...
And Winry was real cute on the phone, twirling her finger and all. Yep, she is so totally in love. (Hell, if I got a phone call from Ed, I'd probably cry tears of joy and ecstasy)
Greelin (just easier to call him that now) looks hot. Period. That voice makes him sound like ten years older!

And yes, Ed may have bad taste but he's also very imaginative and creative in his bad taste ways!
Bag of Magic Food
QUOTE (Mr. Deathy @ Oct 27 2009, 03:51 PM) *
^I don't think the idea with Scar is that he's threatening to kill Marcoh if he doesn't speak, it's more that he's saying "I'm going to kill you whether you want me to or not Marcoh, but first tell me EVERYTHING". I don't think the "before this right arm destroys you" quote is a threat, but just stating "before you get the luxury of me killing you, I DEMAND the whole truth"

Oh, I figured he just flew into a rage over Marco's self-pitying.
montyalbo
Not a very fast paced episode but I was pleased. Plus hearing Ling's voice made me smile happy.gif
Michiyo-
Please add FMA:B English dubbed episode 29 (on CN on Adult Swim) talk-back/discussions here. smile.gif

FMA:B will air 1:00 AM - 1: 30 AM and 5:00 AM - 5:30 AM eastern time. smile.gif
Mist
Really late on this topic, but i can't help but notice NOBODY mentioned the way ed freaked out when bradley mentioned winry
"DAMNIT! YOU STAY AWAY FROM HER! JUST LEAVE HER OUT OF THIS!"
I thought that was cute ^^
Tombow
^ Yap, Ed gets cute sometimes when it comes to Winry. ^^

For anyone who missed this episode, it will be on again on Adult Swim (U.S.) tonight. smile.gif
Tombow
For anyone who missed this episode, it will be on again on Adult Swim (U.S.) tonight. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.