Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FMA: Brotherhood English Dub & VA Cast Discussions
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Anime
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Bag of Magic Food
QUOTE (Vlyse @ May 16 2010, 09:04 PM) *
Not really. Father is a copy of Hoho now and they still have different VAs.

Many fans consider that a mistake.
The_Twilight_Trinity
QUOTE (Bag of Magic Food @ May 16 2010, 07:15 PM) *
QUOTE (Vlyse @ May 16 2010, 09:04 PM) *
Not really. Father is a copy of Hoho now and they still have different VAs.

But Homunculus had his own voice before he became Father (even though these voices are different too huh.gif) , so it makes sense that they would keep the separate voices. Plus, it's good that there is a strong distinction to be made between the two. Still.... I can't say I wouldn't like to hear more of Aaron as young Hoho. Again, Homunculus has a different voice from Father..... Would it be possible for Aaron to have a different voice for Homunculus while he's still in the flask?
deet-tastic
I just have this feeling that we'll be hearing younger hoho's VA again.
Is bones just going to cast someone totally new and different to come in?
If I were them I'd bring back in who they had in episode 40.
That's just me though.
Broken Chouchou
I'm hoping for that, seeing how Father's voice feels wrong, and would even more so coming from a teenager/young dude.

All the same, it would be inconsistent to what they've done up to this point.

Also -

QUOTE (Bag of Magic Food @ May 17 2010, 04:15 AM) *

- I'm unsure about what to think on this. On one hand, seeing as Father's body is an identical copy of Hoho's, well yes, his voice should be the same as his too. Why should his vocal cord be any different?

Some people think it's wrong that Greed has his own voice in Ling's body, too.

But I think it's debatable. Alphonse evidently has his own voice intact, only as a soul. So I'm thinking that every soul has their own voice, regardless of container. No matter the "transmitter" (armour, other person's body, teapot) a person's voice will remain unchanged. And that's why Father's "soul" has it's voice (sorta) intact in Hoho's body.

Of course none of this is following physical laws, but then again. It's FMA.
FailToImpress
Is it just me or was anyone else surprised to hear "Amestris" pronounced like "Am - eh - stris" by lust in episode 17?

I've always had it in my head that it's "Am - ee - stris" so I wondered if anyone else thought the same. I don't recall anyone ever saying 'Amestris' in the anime, is this the first time anyone's mentioned it? In all the years I've watched it I don't remember anything like that.
Vagrant
Why is does Bradley have the voice of Sam as in Sam and Max? (I think I'd rather he swapped with Father)
Why do him and Greed seem to have a Sean Connery-esque problem with their 's' pronunciation?
Why is Envy so girly sounding?

Also Roy's English voice is way too deep for my liking. The voice of Dolcetto (or however it's being translated) seems way more fitting for Mustang to me.

I think they have the same VO, but is it just me or does Lust sound different than in the original anime?
MsLinn
Oh my God!! I'm watching episode 13 an Yoki's voice is so...disturbing, and it made me burst out laughing!
deet-tastic
Yeah I'm not a fan of Yoki's english voice.

FailToImpress, I've always pronounced it "Am-es-tres"
So when Lust said it, it sounded normal to me.
Bag of Magic Food
QUOTE (Vagrant @ May 17 2010, 06:18 AM) *
Why is does Bradley have the voice of Sam as in Sam and Max?

I think he sounds more like Sheriff from Squidbillies. Oh, now this gives me a good idea for a funny redubbing...
"But I'm gonna tell you this right now: If you so much as raise a finger to anybody in this community, I'm gonna have to bring you right back over here... and release you all over again."

Now tell me you couldn't hear King Bradley saying that.
deet-tastic
^ I can XD

Here's a tid-bit of news.

Scars Brother is being played by Duncan Brannan.
http://myanimelist.net/people/6998/Duncan_Brannan
FailToImpress
QUOTE (deet-tastic @ May 19 2010, 01:04 AM) *

Guess it's just me then. tongue.gif
I don't even know why I think that, I just do!
hawkflame
QUOTE (FailToImpress @ May 20 2010, 12:21 PM) *
QUOTE (deet-tastic @ May 19 2010, 01:04 AM) *

Guess it's just me then. tongue.gif
I don't even know why I think that, I just do!

It sounded weird to me when she put the accent in the middle of the word, "ah-MES-tris"- whereas I pronounced it "AM-es-tris"...
Bag of Magic Food
That seems to happen in English dubs a lot: The Japanese speakers put the emphasis on the first syllable, but the English speakers change it to the second syllable because that seems more natural for them.
penguintruth
I know that it's REALLY nitpicky, but did anyone notice how effing robotic Mrs. Bradley sounds? Jeez, get some acting lessons, lady.
Vlyse
She sounded very Madam-like to me. I was more nitpicking with Selim. I have a feeling he's going to sound very generic evil child later on.

Who knows? Maybe Envy and Selim's voice effects will make improvements. Hopefully.
Vlyse
Giolo Comanche - Charlie Campbell
penguintruth
I actually quite like Ling's English voice, though it took a few minutes to get used to. Kind of restrained and polite-sounding, the way I imagined it might. Sort of a fake humbleness.

Fu's sounds like a stereotypical "inscrutible Asian", though. Kind of offensive, even though I'm not Asian.

Can we get Scar to sound less sleepy and distant? He sounds like he needs a nap, not vengeance.
Jen_Elric
I agree about Ling's voice. It did take a little bit of getting used to. I was sort of expecting his voice to sound a little deeper. But then I got used to it and now I like it!
I also liked Fu's voice. We didn't hear much from him, but I thought it sounded fine.
I'm very happy with Lan Fan's (yes, I'm not happy they say Lan Fan, since I know it's Ran Fan, but whatever) voice! I think it fits well! But, again, we didn't hear much from her.
I'm sooo glad that May doesn't sound annoying!! Monica Rial did a great job!

Ahh, Scar's voice. I don't think the VA will EVER get it right. I wish they stayed with the VA from the first series.
penguintruth
But I didn't like Dameon Clarke's Scar, either. laugh.gif
zonkiethegreat
ummm...NO...I did NOT get used to Ling's voice dub...it;s just...wow...it's just really bad. Not what I imagined at all.
AXavierB
I really don't like Father's dub voice. He's got this booming voice. I'm used to hearing him sounding like kind of a feeble old man.
Dearheart
Surprisingly, I'm finding that I prefer the English VA for Father. The Japanese one just sounds very...flat. Flat, generic and boring. And almost too old for me. He sounds like a Japanese Moses, lol. Just give him a couple of stone tablets and he's good to go! xD

I like his English voice better because it has more warmth and color in it. It sounds more "fatherly" and it has this lull to it that just pulls me in...which I love, because it makes the whole "family" thing he has going on feel even more twisted and dysfunctional to me. If that makes sense. xD The more human he sounds, the more deceiving he is, and that's awesome for a villian IMO.
AXavierB
Ohai, Dearheart.

Hm, I can kinda see what you mean, I suppose. I still prefer the Japanese VA, though. I wonder how the dub voice will sound when Father is still in his flask.
fullcarlos10
lol xP biggrin.gif

1.jpghttp://anime.osiristeam.net/images/others09/fma_brotherhood-1.jpg

http://anime.osiristeam.net/images/others0...otherhood-1.jpg
deet-tastic
Say hello to the new VAN HOHENHEIM
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encycloped...ple.php?id=2525
hawkflame
No Scott McNeil? That's really disappointing; I liked him as Hohenheim.
Vlyse
Thanks for the news. I was kind of hoping for a replacement. I liked Scott McNeil in the first series, but I'm not sure if he ever got or can get aggressive like in Brotherhood.

He plays that old Ishvalan man at the end of episode 9 and some guy on a train in episode 45 of the first series. I'm not sure what to think based on those performances, so I'll just wait until next weekend before judging.
hand-made-city
QUOTE (Vlyse @ Jun 20 2010, 08:31 PM) *
Thanks for the news. I was kind of hoping for a replacement. I liked Scott McNeil in the first series, but I'm not sure if he ever got or can get aggressive like in Brotherhood.

Really? Scott McNeil is amazing with aggressive scenes... he's really one of the most talented VAs in the industry. I think it's too bad he was replaced, but it's understandable. When he did the first anime, I think he had to fly out to do it because he didn't live nearby.. That could be the case this time too.

I've heard John Swasey in Elfen Lied and I like his voice, so I think he'll do a good job too!
penguintruth
As much as I love Scott McNeil, he totally phoned in Hohenheim in the first series. It sounded like he really, really did not give a damn about the role. I mean, sure, Hoho didn't do all that much in the first series, but it was no reason for him to suck so badly. I think he was the wrong voice for the role, anyway.

It'll be interesting to see what John Swasey does with the role.
deet-tastic
Not a fan of Havoc's guy. He just lacks so much emotion.
In ep 21 about being paralyzed and wanting Mustang to leave him in the dirt. I teared up in the Jap one. But this english one. I just didn't feel it.
Vlyse
Read Mania and apparently a Stephanie (possibly Stephanie Young) is the voice of Olivier Armstrong.

at 1:55 of this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UdyLL1tgMo&NR=1

Vic mentions "new characters including the one played by Stephanie" and then followed by "Armstrong's sister". Not an official announcement but it's a strong possibility.
deet-tastic
^Your link made me end up on youtube for an hour and 15 minutes. >_<

Interesting news about Stephanie Young though. Very interesting. *goes off to research who she is*
rosieechan
Am I the only one who doesn't like Ed's English voice? -don't shoot me or anything-
Maybe it's because I watched the Japanese version first (which I think the voice actress for Ed did a REALLY amazing job)...I dunno. =/

Al's new voice is kind of awkward, but it's improving.

Ling's voice is kinda funny and fitting at the same time. Certainly doesn't beat Mamoru Miyano's voice acting.

Lust was perfect, absolutely perfect!

Roy's voice is way too deep for my liking. o_O

*goes to watch more episodes for other characters*

deet-tastic
^ No one beats Miyano Mamoru at anything. ANYTHING!!!! *calms down*

Yes I do believe that maxey is improving with Alphonse and amazing speed.
BirdieNumNum
I also agree about Maxey's Alphonse. At first she sounded a bit girly at times, but she's been getting a lot better in the last few episodes as she settles into the role more. Sometimes she sounds so much like Aaron it's scary.

I like Mustang's deep voice. I think it's sexy. tongue.gif For those who are saying Travis voices him way too deep for someone his age, I have to strongly disagree. I have several friends who are younger than Roy and have voices that are just as deep, if not deeper, than him.
Starlight777
Isn't Travis around the same age as Mustang anyway? XD I think he just uses his normal voice for Roy.
Billea_the_Turtle
Interesting news about Stephanie Young... I wonder if it is official? *goes to find out who she is*

Maxey's Alphonse is getting so much better than it was in the first episode. Sometimes she sounds a lot like Aaron its scary... But that's just me.

Miyano Mamoru is the BEST. Ling's English VA ain't got nothing on him.
FailToImpress
QUOTE (BirdieNumNum @ Jul 19 2010, 05:41 AM) *
I like Mustang's deep voice. I think it's sexy. tongue.gif For those who are saying Travis voices him way too deep for someone his age, I have to strongly disagree. I have several friends who are younger than Roy and have voices that are just as deep, if not deeper, than him.

This! He's basically the same age as his character so for anyone to say his voice is too deep for his age is kinda silly. tongue.gif
Mysteria
I LOVE Roy's voice. It makes me go lulz, especially since I was acting like him on a forum for a month, XD.

Ling's dude also cracks me up, but for a different reason. I think he's okay... it's kinda grown on me.

And I still don't like Mei's actress's voice. D: Too... strained, maybe?

AND YAY! NEXT EPISODE IS ON TOMORROW! :DDD
~Puppet Alphonse~
OH GOD.

MEI'S VOICE MAKES ME WANT TO CLAW MY EYES OUT AND EAT THEM.

Other than that the voice acter choices are pretty decent. Vic is good at times, other times I think he over-does it.

I didn't like Maxey's voice at first, but it has grown on me. Same with Ling's voice... First I was like "Wtf?!" and now I kind of like it.

I love Sonny Strait's voice for Hughes. It's perfect. Same with Lust's.

Catlin's Winry in the first series was unbearable, but she's done a better job this time around, I think. So has Travis with Roy and Coleen with Riza.

Hoienhiem sounds like the 'owl' does in Pooh Bear. Or any children's show with and owl in it, for that matter. All 'nobel' and "2+2=4, small children". I don't know why they didn't keep the old VA for him... His voice was a PERFECT Hoho-papa. This new guy makes me sadface.
rosieechan
Ohmygod, Mei's voice. T___T It DOES sound strained.

But on the brighter note, I've grown onto Roy's voice, I think. And Ed's voice...a little...I just don't like it when he screams...x___x

Riza's voice is weird, but I'll probably get used to it.

Scar's voice is kinda funny, I don't know why. ^^' And Yoki's voice is perfect.

Winry's voice is okay. ^^ Her acting in episode 22 was bearable.
penguintruth
I like Monica Rial's May. It's cute.

Wendy Powell's Envy is worse in this series then in the first, not an easy feat.
Hagaren_4ever
^This. I think May's voice is pretty much how I pictured it, minus the accent. I hate Envy's though. For real. I don't even think it would be so bad had I not listened to the Japanese version and heard was it was SUPPOSED to sound like. dry.gif Wendy Powell's Envy is WAY too scratchy.
Maromi
Errrrr, I think there's a Hiatus right now? Too bad, I really wanna hear Briggs in English.
hawkflame
In the meantime, there's this:

Official Fullmetal Alchemist Part 3 Cast Facebook Page

No updates there as of yet, but if you want to find out about casting, that'll be the place to go!
deet-tastic
OH nice! That's today.
I can't wait now to hear who Olivier and Sloth are being played by biggrin.gif
hawkflame
The new voices!

According to the Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood Part 3 cast facebook page:

Darius: George Manley
Heinkel: Bradley Campbell
Jerso: Andrew Love
Zanpano: Chris Rager
Sloth: Patrick Seitz
Buccaneer: Phil Parsons
Miles: Jason Douglas
ETA:
Madam Christmas: Pam Dougherty

And finally...

Olivier: Stephanie Young
A Pierrot's Aria
Thank you, hawkflame. happy.gif

I don't know what all those guys sound like, but I do think Stephanie Young for Olivier is a good choice. smile.gif
Tombow
Thank you, hawkflame for the info! Appreciated! biggrin.gif

Looking forward to hearing these VAs in their respective FMA roles. happy.gif

hawkflame
Oops, forgot one:

Madam Christmas: Pam Dougherty
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.