Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FMA: Brotherhood English Dub & VA Cast Discussions
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Anime
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
FailToImpress
QUOTE (IceSkadi @ Mar 15 2010, 08:42 PM) *
Seems like the dubber uses the same tone of voice for everything, sad or happy scenes, but maybe it's just me that can't get the variations of tone in his voice...dunno.

I often feel the same about many Japanese dubs... I think it's just the language barrier, it's hard to tell the difference between little nuances in speech, of a language that's not your own.

Anyway, I'm a bit late this week but here you go:

Ed sounding great, as is Al. I genuinely thought I heard Aaron's old voice as Al a few times when he spoke during this episode. I don't know whether it's just because I have his voice permanently ingrained in my mind, of they really are starting to sound similar.

Roy was awesome, his voice this time is definitely the same but different... and that's a good thing. To be honest though, with the kind of lines Roy has this time, it would be hard not to change the voice a little. Many of his lines so far have required a lighter, less serious tone whereas last series, there wasn't much room for that.

Don't really like Scar, I preferred his old voice a lot more.
hawkflame
Did Brice Armstrong return as the voice of Marcoh in ep 6? He sounds different...
Vlyse
I'm not sure what to think of Brice Armstrong's performance. It was definitely different from the first series.
penguintruth
If that's Brice Armstrong as Marcoh, he's doing a horrible job. I thought his Marcoh in the first series was perfect. Why would they change it? If it's a replacement, I wouldn't be surprised at all. This Marcoh voice is unacceptable.

It figures. One of the few voices I liked in the first dub, they have to go change it.
Bag of Magic Food
Ah well, this show didn't even give him a chance to say, "You're going to die right here, monster!"

Tombow
<Program Note>

Guys, I brought up FMA:Brotherhood ep 6 content discussion thread to the first page of the forum again. The talk-back/content discussion for English dubbed ep 6 starts on page 6 of that thread. smile.gif

I moved some of posts with ep 6 content discussions on this thread to FMA:Brotherhood ep 6 content discussion thread.

As usual, if the discussion is about the content specific to episode 6, such as, how certain VA did in certain scenes in ep 6, etc., then please discuss that on FMA:Brotherhood ep 6 content discussion thread.
If the your post is about your opinion on certain VA in general, such as, you don't think so-and-so's voice would fit the character he/she is VAing, etc., then please discuss that here on FMA:Brotherhood English dubb VA discussion thread. smile.gif
edxwinryfan
Does anyone know where I can watch the dub online?
deet-tastic
pimpanime.com
Lame name, but good site.
They have all 6 up.

Anyways, on topic.
I feel Maxey is getting more and more into Al-mode. I just watched 2 and 6 back to back and the improvement is very noticeable.
penguintruth
Sheska sounded a little different in this episode than in the last series. Is Gwendolyn Lau still voicing her? Maybe I'm just getting paranoid because Marcoh didn't sound like Brice Armstrong last week.

Some of the other performances were a little weak this episode, too. Except for Alphonse. I've already forgotten that it's a new VA.
deet-tastic
Alright, episode 8 time.

-Maxey sounded off at some parts, absolutely solid at others. It felt like she was almost trying something new..
-Vic did alright. I enjoyed him in this episode.
-Sonny sounded okay. But he slipped up and said IshBalan.
-Lust was amazing as ever. Laura is my favorite out of all of them.
-BARRY. Yay Barry!! He did perfect.
-Wendy sounded really really horse as Envy. I kinda liked it (because it actually makes him sound like a boy) But.. at the same time... It was iffy. Maybe I'm just too in love with the Jap VA. Also, the "LUCKY" was kept in smile.gif I smiled!
-Maria's VA sounded. Weird.
-Kimblee. I don't think I'll ever like the English VA. His japanese VA is just so Kimblee. Cool/smooth/cynical/ The English VA is too "Imma blow sh!t up Gwahaha" I prefer the "Perhaps I will leave that place as a smoldering crater, or leave it in ruin"
Bag of Magic Food
Envy and Kimblee could both use a throat lozenge or ten.

Well, I do expect Kimblee's actor to start taking a new tack with the role once he gets some more material.
Vlyse
I agree with the comments about Envy and Kimblee. They were fine in the first series for me, but they just don't seem to work in this new series. There was a line or two during the Lab 5 incident in the first series where Kimblee sounded saner, so I'm holding on to that for later.
Jen_Elric
I kinda don't like Envy's voice in this dub. The VA is trying to gruff up her voice too much, and trying too hard to make Envy sound really masculine, which isn't working. the VA already has a deep voice, so she doesn't have to gruff up her voice! Maybe she'll sound better next time.
And Kimblee, ugh. Eric Vale really doesn't have to gruff up his voice either. Kimblee is a smooth criminal, and Eric would make him sound perfect if he didn't make his voice hoarse.
The others sounded fine to me, though maxey sounded a little meek at times. And Barry sounded crazy. lol
Oh! And I did hear Hughes say "Ishbalan"! lol woops lol
Tezrath
I liked how Ross sounded. Her voice sounds way too soft for me in the Japanese version (similar to my thoughts on Hawkeye I guess). Kimbley isn't bad, but as others have said: the cynical smooth sound fits the character much better then the slightly crazed bomber version they are going with in the dub. Al went back to sounding like a little girl again--yeesh, just when I thought Maxy might be getting the hang of it... and then there is Envy--HORRIBLE. Just all wrong.

Hearing Al say 'I was a real boy' got me laughing. Funny how reading the sub didn't have that effect but once the words were in english all I could hear was pinoccio... the Shrek version! ROFL! Kind of took away from feeling for Al and his moment of emotional trauma laugh.gif
Hyperthia
"What a cute little monkey!" XD

"I was a real boy!" XDD

But ugh... Kimbley and Envy need to drink some tea or something tongue.gif
Their voices were like nails on a chalkboard! So hard to bear!
deet-tastic
"I was a real boy"
I turned to my brother and said
*immitating my best Pinnochio*
I'm a real boy!!

I couldn't help it.

But yes, Kimblee needs to be the smooth criminal that he is. Not the crazed explosive addicted man.
FailToImpress
QUOTE (Tezrath @ Apr 5 2010, 05:12 AM) *
Hearing Al say 'I was a real boy' got me laughing. Funny how reading the sub didn't have that effect but once the words were in english all I could hear was pinoccio... the Shrek version! ROFL! Kind of took away from feeling for Al and his moment of emotional trauma laugh.gif

My thoughts exactly. laugh.gif

I find myself enjoying the dub a whole lot more than the Japanese, the jokes are funnier and it's just much easier to follow.

Not too sure about Envy, hopefully the hoarseness will calm down a bit.
Bag of Magic Food
This isn't too surprising, but has anyone else noticed that the script for the English dub tends to match the English subtitles on funimation.com the best compared to other translations? I remember I only realized that Elicia was saying "Sissy, be safe, okay?" in episode 9 because I went back and checked those subtitles. (Before then I was thinking "Huh? 'B. C. Bouquet'? What was that?") It makes me wonder if the writers use those subs as the sole jumping-off point and punch up the script from there, or if there really are translators helping throughout the reversioning process.
deet-tastic
I'd like to think they have their own translators :/
I'm not a fan of some of the ways FUNimation translates/edits things. I like to compare how FUnimation does some scenes against about 3-4 fan translations.
hawkflame
Just found out that Aaron Dismuke is -not- playing Ling in the dub, and they haven't decided on a role for him yet. This is straight from Aaron himself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBWeXaplETo

Go to the video 41 seconds in, a fan asks him who he's going to play in Brotherhood.
Kale Mustang
QUOTE (hawkflame @ May 5 2010, 08:13 AM) *
Just found out that Aaron Dismuke is -not- playing Ling in the dub, and they haven't decided on a role for him yet. This is straight from Aaron himself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBWeXaplETo

Go to the video 41 seconds in, a fan asks him who he's going to play in Brotherhood.

They should just cast him as young Hohenheim.
SneakyRuler
His voice is quite deep, why not someone from Briggs? As Buccaneer, maybe? Miles? Anyone but Yoki would do, actually. I'm very happy with Maxey voicing Al (liked her from the beginning), she's so close to japanese version...
penguintruth
Aw, I thought he would have made a decent Ling. Younger Hohenheim would be nice, too. I can't think of anyone else he would play.

Aaron Dismuke is a great VA, I hope he gets a good part.
ramencat
Huh, I thought for sure he would be Ling. But.... "We found out Ling has a beard and is, like, 25." Uh, since when?
deet-tastic
Whoa... everyone thought for sure he would be Ling. Man, that's crazy.
So who the heck is he playing?
Miles?
Vlyse
I read a suggestion he should cameo as the Al imposter in episode 41. I think that'd be perfect.
deet-tastic
^ that would be funny biggrin.gif

OKAY so episode 13.
I do not like Grumman's voice. The japanese one is so perfect for it, he captured Grumman perfectly. And this one he just sounds like a boring old man. And Yoki will take some getting used to as well sad.gif
Everyone else was really good though! Izumi, she was just made for this role. She captures Izumi so perfectly biggrin.gif

And here's a funny note, Maxey isn't quite anymore. Did anyone else notice that? They've turned up the volume on Alphonse!
Jen_Elric
I agree about Grumman. It sounded like the VA was just reading lines! SO BORING!! I really hope he improves!

Yeah, Maxey is louder. MAybe Funimation realized she was too quiet and turned up the vloume?
The other voices were perfect!
Vlyse
Finally some kind of English casting news.

Ling Yao - Todd Haberkorn (source: Mania, ANN)

Now we just need the rest of the Xingese, Father, Mrs. Bradley, and Selim Bradley. Er, Garfiel and the Silver Alchemist wouldn't hurt either. I miss anyone? tongue.gif

Edit:

from Mike McFarland on Mania
Ling Yao - Todd Haberkorn
Lan Fan - Trina Nishimura
May Chang - Monica Rial
Shao May - Tia Ballard
Fu - Kenny Green
and
Young Hohenheim - Aaron Dismuke
hawkflame
QUOTE (Vlyse @ May 14 2010, 07:43 PM) *
from Mike McFarland on Mania
Ling Yao - Todd Haberkorn
Lan Fan - Trina Nishimura
May Chang - Monica Rial
Shao May - Tia Ballard
Fu - Kenny Green
and
Young Hohenheim - Aaron Dismuke

So Dante is now May Chang? smile.gif

Hikaru from Ouran as Ling? I guess that could work... I think Luci Christian could have made for a nice Lan Fan, but oh well...

And Aaron as Slave 23 is perfect.
penguintruth
Damn, I was hoping Monica Rial would play Olivier Mira Armstrong. Well, at least she's in the show.
Kasumisty
I think Aaron would fit as Young Hoho. I don't know the rest of the actors, though.
A Pierrot's Aria
Looked like I was right when I predicted that Todd Haberkorn would do Ling's voice! (Not on the board, but to a friend-- she thought it was going to be Aaron! Darn...we should of bet on it!) I don't think they could have picked a better voice for Ling, Todd will suit him to a T! I really can't wait until Ling comes into it now! I'm so happy!

Aaron as Young!Hoho is also a brilliant choice!

I'm not sure about the others, though, never heard of them. =X
hawkflame
QUOTE (A Pierrot's Aria @ May 15 2010, 07:19 AM) *

You don't know Monica Rial, the actress who played the main villain in the first FMA anime?
A Pierrot's Aria
QUOTE (hawkflame @ May 15 2010, 01:50 PM) *

You don't know Monica Rial, the actress who played the main villain in the first FMA anime?

I know of only few Funi voice actors by name, like Todd, Vic, Aaron, Mike etc and who they've voice acted for. But I've never heard of a lot of those other names listed above. Honestly, I've just now found out that Monica Rial did Dante's voice because you and one other mentioned it here. xD
Bag of Magic Food
QUOTE (A Pierrot's Aria @ May 15 2010, 06:19 AM) *
Looked like I was right when I predicted that Todd Haberkorn would do Ling's voice!

But Ling is ASYMMETRICAL GARBAGE!
A Pierrot's Aria
QUOTE (Bag of Magic Food @ May 15 2010, 07:26 PM) *
QUOTE (A Pierrot's Aria @ May 15 2010, 06:19 AM) *
Looked like I was right when I predicted that Todd Haberkorn would do Ling's voice!

But Ling is ASYMMETRICAL GARBAGE!

I'm afraid I'll have to inform you that not everyone shares that view. Ling is one of my favourite characters. Just as Todd is one of my favourite voice actors. : )
Vlyse
Aha, finally some casting news on the episode actually airing tonight: source Mike McFarland

Father - Kent Williams
Selim Bradley - Brittney Karbowski
Mrs. Bradley - Dana Shultes

wow wait the English narrator as Father and Black Star from Soul Eater as Selim? I don't know about this.

EDIT:
While going through the audition process (at the time, only a few episodes were available), I asked the higher-ups if they could confirm from Aniplex if the Narrator was a completely autonomous voice or the voice of a character that would appear later in the series. Their reply was "The Narrator is Father". After Father finally appeared and I was able to compare the two voices, I could tell (and read on the cast list) that both were played by the same actor, Iemasa Kayumi. There was just a little difference in the delivery and tone, based off of what was being said or conveyed. I wanted to stay true to Director Yasuhiro Irie's intentions, so the English dub's Narrator and Father are also played by one voice actor. The decision on who would play him was not made until I heard both voices/characters. :-)

-Mike McFarland
A Pierrot's Aria
^Yeah...I'm interested to see how Kent Williams will sound as Father. oO What I've heard of Brittney Karbowski sounds good - from One Piece and D.Gray-Man, but on both occasions they were female characters- can't wait to see how she'll do as Selim.
: )
Kasumisty
I didn't think they would actually stick to that. Extra point for them.
Bag of Magic Food
And now as I do research on these actors, I realize that I can hardly distinguish Kent Williams's voice from Chuck Huber's. huh.gif
ramencat
Um... The whole 'Ling is asymetrical garbage' thing is a joke. Todd Haberkorn played Death the Kid in Soul Eater, and that character is obsessed with symmetry and calls anything that isn't perfectly symetrical garbage. But I think Todd will make an exellant Ling. Glad Aaron has a role, but I would like to hear more of him- Young Hohenhiem only has a few lines. Dunno about Kent Williams as Father... if he doesn't adjust his voice from the narraration, it just doesn't seem to fit. So will Brittany Karbowski be doing Pride to?
penguintruth
QUOTE (A Pierrot's Aria @ May 15 2010, 09:07 AM) *
QUOTE (hawkflame @ May 15 2010, 01:50 PM) *

I know of only few Funi voice actors by name, like Todd, Vic, Aaron, Mike etc and who they've voice acted for. But I've never heard of a lot of those other names listed above. Honestly, I've just now found out that Monica Rial did Dante's voice because you and one other mentioned it here. xD

Monica Rial is much more well known than those other VAs, so I'm surprised you never heard of her before. She's been in dubs for quite a while. She was Hyatt in Excel Saga.

She's one of my favorite VAs.
Vlyse
Well this is awfully early, but on Chris Rager's Facebook he announced he's doing Zampano. Anyone heard of him before?

So I'm guessing the English dubbing is almost in the 40s now. I was wondering about that. The last time we heard was they finished the Gluttony Stomach arc.
A Pierrot's Aria
QUOTE (ramencat @ May 15 2010, 10:47 PM) *
Um... The whole 'Ling is asymetrical garbage' thing is a joke. Todd Haberkorn played Death the Kid in Soul Eater, and that character is obsessed with symmetry and calls anything that isn't perfectly symetrical garbage. But I think Todd will make an exellant Ling. Glad Aaron has a role, but I would like to hear more of him- Young Hohenhiem only has a few lines. Dunno about Kent Williams as Father... if he doesn't adjust his voice from the narraration, it just doesn't seem to fit. So will Brittany Karbowski be doing Pride to?

Oh really? I've never watched Soul Eater so I didn't get the joke so I thought it was a comment on the fact that I liked Ling.- I apologise for my mistake, Bag of Magic Food. smile.gif

I wish people would stop being so surprised that I don't know Monica Rial! I don't know all the voice actors! xD I just recognise most of them by voice, rather than name.
deet-tastic
A guy commented on being Zampano? Wow. It's so weird for me to think that the dubbers are doing episode 38+ now.

OKAY, EPISODE 14 COMMENTS.
I love Selims voice. That was awesome. I loved it, SO much better than anime1's.
I wasn't expecting Fathers to be so fatherly. I'm so used to the deep boring voice of the Jap. VA. So this was a great change and I APPROVE.
Patton did such a freaking amazing job with Greed at the ending. Oh. My. Crap. I rewound it just to listen to it several more times. I loved it so freaking much.
(is it wrong for a girl to enjoy the sounds of a man screaming as he is being lowered into boiling oil??)
penguintruth
Chris Patton was doing a decent job with Greed, and much better than his effing terrible peformance in the first series dub, but in the scene with him being lowered into the vat he sounded like Billy West doing an impression of Jackie "The Jokeman" Martling. How embarassingly bad. I felt humiliated for both the character of Greed and Patton.

QUOTE (Vlyse @ May 16 2010, 12:57 AM) *
Well this is awfully early, but on Chris Rager's Facebook he announced he's doing Zampano. Anyone heard of him before?

He's Mr. Satan ("Hercule") in DBZ.
mazam
QUOTE (ramencat @ May 15 2010, 05:47 PM) *
Glad Aaron has a role, but I would like to hear more of him- Young Hohenhiem only has a few lines.

You know what would be interesting? If Aaron gets to voice young god father too. I would so love that.

I enjoy how some of the actors are starting to add more nuances into their characters. I wait in anticipation for how Baylock and Patton's character voices will evolve by the series end. I'm still iffy with Williams as Father but I'm willing to give his voice more time.
deet-tastic
It.. would actually be really fitting for Aaron to play younger looking Father, seeing as Father is a copy of how Hoho looked when he was that young

Pff, Great. Thanks for the suggestion. (sarcasm) Now I have my heart set on Aaron being the above mentioned.

Vlyse
Not really. Father is a copy of Hoho now and they still have different VAs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.