Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FMA: Brotherhood English Dub & VA Cast Discussions
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Anime
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
A Pierrot's Aria
I liked this episode! : ) I think the Truth will grow on me, and I believe that Maxey sounds much better.

I think the only voice I couldn't stand in that was young!Winry's. She sounded really high pitched and irritating.
rzerox21xx
QUOTE (kocham-trufle @ Feb 21 2010, 07:55 AM) *
I drew next picture of 100 royai themes challenge ^^ here it is: http://kocham-trufle.deviantart.com/art/00...nshot-154905777 Hope you'll like it smile.gif

Maybe I'm only one, but I don't like english dub. I can't imagine other voice for Roy than his japanese seiyuu. And for Riza. They're just perfect in their original versions.

which japanese dub of Roy and Riza you like though and think its perfect. Its also divided between Shinichiri Miki Roy(brotherhood) or Tohru Orkawa Roy(fma1). I usually don't compare the dub and subs ahtough I perfer the subs and I think Shinichiri Miki's Roy is the best in terms of making Roy sound cooler and younger plus being a shinichiro miki fan helps. Fumiko Orikasa Riza have grown to me, been a fan of her snice Rukia and I like her Riza though others perfer her fam1 voice but she sound sexier to me in brotherhood.
kocham-trufle
I prefer their voices in FMA: B, but in first series it was nice too ^^

@A Pierrot's Aria thanks for appreciation smile.gif
ramencat
Honestly, I like all three (anime1, brotherhood, and dub). All of the performances are pretty different, but they all represent the characters well. Dunno about Coleens Riza in Brotherhood though. It was fine for anime1, but now it's just a bit too... manly!? Well, Coleen's a good VA. I'm sure she'll adapt. Basically, i'm easy to please. biggrin.gif
ramencat
Young Winry was... pretty bad. But for the rest of the series, it should be fine. Maxey's performance was okay... it seems like she can't decide whether to imitate Aaron or do her own thing. I'm fine with either, just wish she'd settle on one. Al sounded kinda girlish this episode, but I think that's Maxey trying to make him sound younger. The "we're sorry"s were well done, but that screaming... ugh. Hearing a deep voice coming out of young Ed's mouth is always gonna freak me out a bit, but I liked Vics emotional intensity. Luci as Truth didn't bother me because I haven't watched much of anime1. Colleens Riza seemed too deep compared to the Japanese track, but I think Colleen will adapt in time.
Thalogens
Meh, I've always prefered the sub to the dub, any day. I think its because to me, a lot of things get lost in translation, and then theres the cheesey aspect of it. Some dubs are just... cringe-worthy. But then again, on some rare occasions I have found myself searching for the dub, rather than the sub. I liked the first anime dub, well, I didn't mind it, it was my first anime so I wasn't really that aware, but I... couldn't get past the first 10 minutes of this dub. I might try again later D:
And I always thought of alchemy as a science, and well, not everyone can be scientists, can they. So maybe her father did try and teach it to her, but she just wasn't interested in it... for example, my father is a writer, and as much as he wants me to follow in his footsteps, I just don't see it happening. That might be the case with Riza and her father... or it might not, I don't know, its very possible that her father did think alchemy was too dangerous for his daughter (and so tattood all his research on her back...?)

*Disappears again*
shanryelric
QUOTE (kocham-trufle @ Feb 21 2010, 09:55 PM) *
Maybe I'm only one, but I don't like english dub. I can't imagine other voice for Roy than his japanese seiyuu. And for Riza. They're just perfect in their original versions.
ohhh no u r not the only one. smile.gif because i don't like dubs too. Tooru Okawa and Shinichiro Miki owns Roy in whatever way. their voice is so-Roy. although i love Miki's voice of roy because it is a lot more Roy and you can say the situation by hearing his voice, it's light and clear. flawless roy XD, jap dub made him sounds a 'sexy 29 years old man' to me. travis' roy sounds too deep. never grow on me T,T.
love FMA1 and FMAB's riza. they both made perfect riza. because eng-dub riza... can't stand hear her voice. not riza. hmm.

anyway. can't wait for next month's chapter!
FailToImpress
^See I feel the same about Travis as Roy, I prefer his English voice over any japanese. To be honest, I find it hard to distinguish between many of the japanese voices and that's probably why I've never really enjoyed it. I never thought the japanese voices fitted him. As for Riza, well, the new series' japanese voice makes her sound far too young. dry.gif I know a lot of female japanese voices are like that anyway though, but as an english speaking person it's very odd to hear personally... but yeah, opinions and all that. biggrin.gif
My friend has actually waited for the dub to come out to watch the new series because she really dislikes the japanese, paired with the constant reading.

QUOTE (DoxyWings @ Feb 22 2010, 08:00 PM) *
Meh, I've always prefered the sub to the dub, any day. I think its because to me, a lot of things get lost in translation, and then theres the cheesey aspect of it. Some dubs are just... cringe-worthy.

I understand what you mean, but you have to remember that they have very tight spaces to work within since the animation was made for the Japanese. I give the English dub team kudos for the work that they do. tongue.gif I think they manage it brilliantly.
shanryelric
weeellll everybody has their own opinions anyway smile.gif
english dub ruins the situation's aura. they changed some lines into another that seems being fastforward. like ed's "hive him back! hisa my only brother!" line. in Jdub I can feel the anguish, when they ruins it in the english dub. I THINK.
for english dub, nobody can place the better ENGLISH voice for ed than vic! that doesn't mean that he's a good ed also. being cruel, i reaaally hate his voice being edward's, it's a totally out of character and ruin everything. see, it's FOR ME, that his voice is dry and girl-ish for ed. ed should sound 'rough' and have some energy in his voice. he did a good job, well at least he's trying. but no, never like his ed, Romi Park wins Edward Elric!! biggrin.gif
for caitlin's winry, what i heard that it is so woman-like sound, not a 15 years old or so voice of girl. too deep. and her being a kid is horrible T.T too bad. but she sings Motherland (FMA1 3rd end theme song) beautifully! o.O
never like eng dub's riza. but i prefer FMA1 eng dub better than FMAB. she sounds like.. uh, can't stand her voice for 1 minute. not trying to be pesimistic or anything but i dont think she'll do a good job for screaming part episode 19. hmmmhmm
and what i want to say is whhyyyyyy can't they make a more 'lustful' lust?! it's totally unsexy. not even villain ish. uh.
nah, some people hate dubs, some people hate subs. all my friend hates english dub or even indonesian dubs (ooohh it's freaking horrible).
Hagaren_4ever
QUOTE (shanryelric @ Feb 23 2010, 10:26 AM) *
like ed's "hive him back! hisa my only brother!" line.

You're typo made me laugh because it reminded me of Jar Jar Binx. Yeah. Totally all that I got out of that.

QUOTE (shanryelric @ Feb 23 2010, 10:26 AM) *
not trying to be pesimistic or anything but i dont think she'll do a good job for screaming part episode 19. hmmmhmm

I wouldn't be worried about that, it doesn't take a genius to scream, it's one of the first things voice actors learn to do, and she's got a decent amount of experience. I mean, hey, Vic Mignogna can do it! A totally terrible actor could voice someone and then do a good scream, so... yeah. Don't stress. biggrin.gif
deet-tastic
Maxey really improved in this episode! I liked that Al spoke more than just a few lines in this episode. He actually had a long conversation with Rose on the roof, and for me it really showed what Maxey was capable of. And I now love her.

Colleen did well as Rose too. I kept thinking about how she'll do on episode 19 and I think she'll do Jussssst fine. I just wish she wouldn't make Riza sound so deep. If she even took it just a tone higher with Hawkeye i would like it more.

Laura as Lust was perfect as always. I loved hearing her at the end of the episode.

AND we got a "can I eat him" line from Gluttony. I thought his voice sounded better, less raspy, than the first anime.

of course Vic did good. I don't really have any complaints at all for him.
penguintruth
Everyone who was in this part of the first dub sounded exactly the same as they did in this episode.

Vic's Ed is the same, so if you liked him then, he did a good job. I think he's pretty awful, however, so he didn't for me.

Cornello sounds about the same. So does Rose. So does Laura Bailey's Lust.

I can still barely hear Maxey Whitehead's Alphonse.

No major messes in this episode.

But next week is the Tucker incident, meaning Brina Palencia's Nina. Ugh.
shanryelric
hmm. watched it.
what can i say is wow great episode. comparing the episode 3's ed with eps 46's ed. WOW they're SOOO different. O.O
anyway, for the dub. they all sound the same. vic as ed is horrible as usual i think =w= the laugh after cornello's 'speech' is a kinda awkward. maxey's al, still don't like it, but it improved anyway. don't like rose's voice. the voice is off, here and there. lust is so so. still unsexy. gluttony is okay.
mazam
QUOTE (Bag of Magic Food @ Feb 18 2010, 08:24 PM) *
Did anyone else notice that the stream of this on Adult Swim Video includes the next episode preview? So now if you can access that site, you can hear the narrator in English and try to guess which one of the "Additional Voices" he might be. Doesn't sound like the sort of voice they'd re-use for Father, but I could be surprised.

I believe that's Kent Williams. And I hope he's not gonna voice Father. Kent did Majahal(sp?) in the first series.

Everyone else is doing fine. Not annoyed with anyone's voice yet. Al's VA I think will progress ok. Just think it's dumb to make a girl voice someone Al's age. dry.gif
Tezrath
QUOTE (mazam @ Mar 1 2010, 05:42 PM) *
Everyone else is doing fine. Not annoyed with anyone's voice yet. Al's VA I think will progress ok. Just think it's dumb to make a girl voice someone Al's age. dry.gif

Not necessarily... I mean it seems to work just fine in the original Japanese. And there are some english voice actors that can pull it off. The woman who does Bart Simpson (never mind half of the boy characters on that show) does not sound like a little girl.... Al unfortunately does though sad.gif
Bag of Magic Food
QUOTE (mazam @ Mar 1 2010, 05:42 PM) *
I believe that's Kent Williams. And I hope he's not gonna voice Father. Kent did Majahal(sp?) in the first series.

Ah, funny you should mention that. I was doing side-by-side comparisons of early episodes last week, and I noticed that Majihal had a much deeper voice in the Japanese version. Maybe Funimation is going to put a different spin on Father's voice too.
Little Washu
QUOTE (Tezrath @ Mar 1 2010, 04:59 PM) *
Not necessarily... I mean it seems to work just fine in the original Japanese. And there are some english voice actors that can pull it off. The woman who does Bart Simpson (never mind half of the boy characters on that show) does not sound like a little girl.... Al unfortunately does though sad.gif

Al is also more of a little girl than most of the girl's in the series, remember. In the Japanese, his voice is around the same range. Either way, Al will be played by a girl to (most likely) enforce the fact that he has some effeminate qualities. Most boys in anime (done by FUNI at least) are played by women. They were lucky enough to find a 13 year old boy when they did season 1, but he STILL sounded like a chick then, until they got much later into the series, around the movie. Also, Maxey sounds similar enough to Aaron. A boy with a more Ed-ish voice would just be awkward to hear, for those of us who watched season one.
Spooky_Chan
Mmhmm. *nod-nod* I totally agree with that. If Al had a more Ed-ish voice, then I think that it would take away some of the innocence surrounding Al's persona. Al sort of acts as Ed's counterpart....and he IS the younger of the two so, yeah. At least you could actually hear him this time XDXD. ....and, yeah....I'm really not looking forward to Nina....her last dub voice was God-Awful, I mean, Elysia sounded older than her!
ramencat
I think Maxey improved alot in this episode... not as good as Aaron, but still good. Not looking forward to Nina's voice though...
penguintruth
Well, surprisingly, episode 4's dub wasn't too bad. Probably the best episode of the dub.

Nina Tucker's voice is still horribly annoying and not cute in the slightest, but much better than in the first series when I was actually looking forward to her exit. Chuck Huber's Shou Tucker is better than before, being really menacing. Maybe he amped it up because this time he only got to be in a single episode. Anyway, great.

The new Scar voice is... hm. Well, there's not a lot to it. He seems to have problems really putting energy into his performance. Even Dameon Clarke's Scar, which I thought sounded pretty generic, at least had some effort put in. This guy seems like he's not really that interested in the role. But, this was his first episode, he may improve.

Willingham's new approach to Roy is beginning to work. Whatever he's doing finally settled in. It's definitely different than his Roy for the first series.

Vic is... still the same Edward. I think Maxey Whitehead's Alphonse has been making strides, though, especially in the scenes where he's playing with Nina or towards the end.

I noticed Maria Ross's VA has returned, and I always enjoyed her performance. I'm glad she's returned.
Kyelinn
I'm sorry penguintruth, but somebody has got to say it. Why do you insist on reiterating? You pretty much say the same thing exact same thing every single time a new dubbed episode comes on. Why do you even bother watching the dub if you hate it so much? Forgive me, I'm not trying to start argument. These are honest questions. I just want to know why somebody would sit and torture themselves by watching a dub they dislike and constantly post it so. Do you do it just for the sake of coming on here and ranting about how much you hate Vic, etc...? I really am curious...
Bag of Magic Food
Wow, so much of the voice work in episode 4 sounded very low-key tonight. It's as if everyone burned off their energy from the manic episode 3.
penguintruth
QUOTE (Kyelinn @ Mar 7 2010, 01:12 AM) *
I'm sorry penguintruth, but somebody has got to say it. Why do you insist on reiterating? You pretty much say the same thing exact same thing every single time a new dubbed episode comes on. Why do you even bother watching the dub if you hate it so much? Forgive me, I'm not trying to start argument. These are honest questions. I just want to know why somebody would sit and torture themselves by watching a dub they dislike and constantly post it so. Do you do it just for the sake of coming on here and ranting about how much you hate Vic, etc...? I really am curious...

I can say the same for a lot of the rest of you. Why bother posting if it's the same "DERP, HE WAS GREAT!" comments?

Except I don't repeat that much. If you actually pay attention, I've detailed why I like or dislike a voice when challenged on it, and I don't always touch on all the same things. But maybe actually reading what I say takes more effort than pretending you have.

I'm giving the dub a chance, just like I did with the first one. I'm not under an obligation to be positive about every effing thing.

deet-tastic
>.>
Anyways, I just finished up episode 4.

Maxey is improving more and more. But, I did cringe (for the first time mind you) when he walked into Tuckers house and were yelling his name trying to find him. She sounded very girly. But other parts of this episode were so Al-ish boy sounding that I completely forgot about maxey being a woman, and listened to it as Alphonse talking. Good. smile.gif

Scar, I love my shmecksey man, and I was very eager to hear his voice. So i'll say the new VA didn't dissapoint. So much better than the previous Scar. Knowing the stuff he'll be acting out later, this voice is just so much more fitting. This was his Scar debut and he'll only improve on it.

Nina was less whiny, and I breathed a sigh of relief. It wasn't baby talk like in the first anime.

Hughes is sounding perfect, as well as Armstrong.

Riza sounded less manly. And I was very happy to hear that.

Vic did pretty good. I liked that he didn't do his "whispering voice of angst and whispers." and he did good throwing in the right emotions at the appropriate times.
Kyelinn
QUOTE (penguintruth @ Mar 7 2010, 12:31 AM) *
QUOTE (Kyelinn @ Mar 7 2010, 01:12 AM) *

I can say the same for a lot of the rest of you. Why bother posting if it's the same "DERP, HE WAS GREAT!" comments?

Except I don't repeat that much. If you actually pay attention, I've detailed why I like or dislike a voice when challenged on it, and I don't always touch on all the same things. But maybe actually reading what I say takes more effort than pretending you have.

I'm giving the dub a chance, just like I did with the first one. I'm not under an obligation to be positive about every effing thing.

Wow...bite my 'effing' head off just a little more why don't you? I also really don't appreciate being insulted, thank you. I was just asking a simple question. There's a difference between people praising the hard work that these voice actors do than there is from going in and bitching about how horrible they do, over and over and over again. We already know you hate Vic, so the question is why do you insist on repeating it so? But I suppose I stepped into forbidden territory considering the obvious in the tone of your post as well you masking the attempt at insulting me. Don't treat me like I'm stupid because I'm not. I was just asking you a couple of questions because I don't understand your way of thinking. Evidently that makes me 'effortless'. Anyway, I'm out. Whatever. *shrugs*
Vlyse
Oh? Did I just hear Ishbal, from Armstrong? tongue.gif Oh well. I hope they try to keep the messups to a minimum.

Maxey is improving every episode and does kinda sound like Aaron I guess, except without being annoying. She sounds louder now, too, so that helps.

I also noticed something about Roy's voice, and Breda has a different VA (Jeremy Inman) which seems to be more serious this time around. Havoc's VA also seemed to be more serious. All good things for what's to come.

I applaud Tatum's Scar, sounds much more deeper and masculine, necessary for the change in Scar's character. Dameon's Scar was alright for the first series where Scar seemed to be with less muscles huh.gif , but I don't think he could have pulled off Brotherhood's Scar.
deet-tastic
I heard ishBal. And glared at Armstrong. I even rewound it a few times. It was a B. Shame the sound people didn't catch that.
But, lets hope they fix it for the DVD.

That was my own big complaint on the episode.
FailToImpress
Oh lol I didn't even notice. To be honest there isn't much difference between a V and a B in the way they sound, and he'll be used to saying it the previous way from the last series.
Little Washu
QUOTE (Kyelinn @ Mar 7 2010, 12:12 AM) *

It's because he's deluded himself into thinking his opinions are valued and anticipated, so it would be best to just ignore him. Saves you a headache as well.

I noticed Ishbal too, so I hope they go back and change the other Ishvals to Ishbal, as well.
Bag of Magic Food
QUOTE (Little Washu @ Mar 7 2010, 02:28 PM) *
It's because he's deluded himself into thinking his opinions are valued and anticipated, so it would be best to just ignore him.

But I value and anticipate his opinions, so his delusion is right! laugh.gif
Dearheart
Okay, okay. Play nice, everyone. To be honest, I haven't seen Penguintruth razz on Vic too much lately; the most he's said in a while is "Vic is...the same as usual." And while it may be irritating for us to hear him complain about the dub all the time, we need to move on. He's an intelligent guy and he's perfectly entitled to his own opinions, so let's just agree to disagree and leave it at that.

As Vic put it, "Stop messing with each other just because people don't like what you like. Stop being mean to each other! For God's sake, I can't believe this kind of thing goes on. You know what? You guys are part of a huge family who loves a lot of the same things...and yet people still find things to fight about. Stop that crap!"

Even if you don't like him or his voice acting, you have to agree with him there. tongue.gif At the end of the day, we all love FMA...and that's all that really matters.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled...stuff. xD
penguintruth
If you disagree with my opinions, raise an argument. Otherwise, calling me out for being negative just sounds like you can't handle the discussion.
Kyelinn
*facepalm* And now it's my turn to say that you obviously don't pay attention to what others say. I wasn't trying to call you out nor did I want to argue and I stated that plain as day in my first post. I was just asking why it is you repeat yourself about the dub when everybody is well aware you hate it already and that's all. Did you ever stop and think that perhaps maybe I DO agree with some of your opinions? No, you didn't. Instead you merely jump to the conclusion that I disagree with you when I never once said I disagreed with you. No, you're the one who had to get all nasty and start the insulting. But as I said, nevermind. Just drop it. Though a word of advice. You really need to stop thinking so highly of yourself and your opinions. Your opinions are just that, opinions and nothing else. They're no better or worse than anybody else's. I wasn't even calling you out, disagreeing or criticizing you. I was just merely inquiring. I guess people aren't allowed to ask simple questions anymore, but I digress. I'm done here.
penguintruth
You're the one making a big deal about my opinions. rolleyes.gif
Hagaren_4ever
So, hey, actually gonna talk about the episode! :D

Ed, Al, and Roy are just about the same as earlier. I haven't noticed any change to Travis Willingham's voice acting from last series to this one, I'm not sure what everyone's hearing. Huh.

Nina's voice was so annoying I was actually happy when she turned into a chimera so I wouldn't have to hear it anymore. Granted, she was annoying in the last series, so nothing really new.

Tucker did his role well, forgive me I don't know the name of his voice actor, but he did a good job sounding like the creep his character is. I think it was the same voice actor as the last series, but I'm not sure.

Scar sounds kinda bored. Yeah, he's just saying the lines. But, I'm sure he'll do better as time goes on. He was sort of muttering the whole time, (which I guess he was supposed to do), so it makes me wonder how he'll sound when he's yelling.

Actually, it's probably better that I don't compare FMA1 to FMA2. I should focus on this as a whole other series, but I can't help but remember the last series. It's what got into FMA in the first place!
penguintruth
The voice of Tucker is Chuck Huber, who played Hiei in Yu Yu Hakusho, Hiro Nohara in Shin-chan, and Android 17 in Dragon Ball Z.

I think he did a lot better this time around than in the first series. Maybe better direction? I like how he didn't start off with some sort of weird accent and then drop it. He really nailed that scene where he snaps.
Bag of Magic Food
Funnily enough, I thought Scar was developing some kind of English accent toward the end of the episode, when he finally stopped whispering.
penguintruth
QUOTE (Bag of Magic Food @ Mar 7 2010, 08:02 PM) *
Funnily enough, I thought Scar was developing some kind of English accent toward the end of the episode, when he finally stopped whispering.

I couldn't hear him well enough to tell.
Bag of Magic Food
I dunno, it was like whatever accent it is that Chris Sabat uses for Major Armstrong.
Disasterpiece
I find the voice acting better than the first anime. Armstrong and Roy DEFINETLY improved. Roy just sounded the same all throughout the first series, I think the variety this time around is better.

Now regardless of skill, the one thing that matters to me is delivery. Quality of the voice itself is a given, but they do what they have to do, but I don't want some half-dramatic or over the top line being spoken, makes it sound goofy.

I think Vic commands a good presence when he voices Ed, and Maxey's voice is improving each episode. I wish it was Aaron but eh, what can ya do. I actually think Maxey adds a little bit of seriousness in Alphonse, unlike the first series (now this is just my opinion and I might be wrong) where it felt like Aaron was trying but wasn't quite there. He was good though, no doubt about it.

Scar....the old Scar just sounded cold-blooded to the core and it matched his character. This one, is just a hollow shell.

In conclusion, what is, is. The voice actors aren't changing from here on in.
crazyanimefan
Pretty good dub this episode. Overall I'm happy with the quality and the maturing compared to previous episodes.

Nina was annoying, but not enough to make my ears bleed. She didnt quite sound her age.

Chuck as Shou was much better this time around. My favorite part is when he snaps, which I thought was really well done.

Maxey has really captured me. Except for rare moments where she was slightly too girly, Maxey has nailed Al. I am quite satisfied with Al's voice now.

Vic as Ed was great. I think that Vic has really captured Ed's torment, and I was honestly close to tearing up.

My favorite parts would have to be Travis and Colleen at the end. They make quite the poignant Roy and Riza, and they each have improved. I like the slight differences in their voices that signal more feeler and darker tones to come.
deet-tastic
Maxey is just getting better and better.
episode 5 was just. I mean.. Yeah she hit that out of the park.
penguintruth
I'm really surprised, another good episode of the dub!

My feelings about Vic's Edward still remain the same, and I think Havoc is sounding a little awkward, but overall, decent performances all around!

Maxey Whitehead was awesome in that scene with Alphonse yelling at his brother. If we can get more of that, she may just turn out to be as good as Aaron Dismuke. Willingham's Roy, as I said before, has finally settled into something new when compared to the first series, and it sounds good. Sabat's Armstrong is as solid as always and I'm enjoying Strait's Hughes as well.

We have the return of Wendy Powell, Envy's VA from the first series' dub, and I can't really tell whether she's good here or not. I never liked her much as Envy because it sounded like she couldn't decide quite where she wanted his voice to be. In the scene he's in here, it seems like he's not even doing Cornello's voice when he's disguised as him, it's some voice that sounds more like like Jerry Jewell. And Scar's voice is better than in the previous episode, but he needs to speak up a bit more.

The script was solid, though, with no big signs of unnecessary rewrites, and overall the performances blended in well.

I still think the first series handled the scene where Scar corners the brothers better, though. And not to mention either way, there were tons of armed soldiers and they should have shot him immediately instead of standing around while he escaped. Sometimes I think the Amestrian military is the most incompetent fighting force in fiction.
Jen_Elric
epsiode 5 was done really well! The VA's did a awesome job!

Maxey did sooo good! I was very pleased!
I've gotten used to Scar's new VA, and I think he did pretty good!

I agree with PenguinTruth, that the scene where Cornello is talking to Lust, he doesn't even sound like Cornello! I know that it's really Envy, but he still should sound like Cornello.

Yay! Envy shows up!! His voice is good, but I hope that the VA knows that Envy is a little different in this series.

I LOVED how Travis is voicing Mustang!! Serious when he needs to be, but not too serious. the scene where he tries to do alchemy in he rain was priceless. Awesome job!!
Disasterpiece
I CANNOT stand Scar's new voice. There's just no...what's the word....texture? To his voice. He sounds as emotional as the Terminator, no joke.

The first Scar from the first anime did a MUCH better job. You sensed the emotion that he was out for blood.

*shrug* =|
Irena
Man, Travis sounds better than ever. Makes me very happy. :>

Maxey's Alphonse is getting better every episode - I think I like her just as much as I liked Aaron.

Still kinda iffy with Wendy Powell's Envy - I always thought that rough voice didn't really fit. I kinda hoped she would change it up a bit more.

I'm not sure how to feel about Scar's new voice. I never really cared for his anime-1 voice, but this one sounds kind of . . . blah. Maybe it's just me.

edxwinryfan
I have to say that I still think Maxey's Al sounds a bit girly... but she is still okay. I don't think she could ever be as good as Aaron though.

The scar scene wasn't as emotional as the first anime was. Scar's voice actor is pretty good. Overall it was a great episode.
Bag of Magic Food
QUOTE (Jen_Elric @ Mar 14 2010, 05:52 AM) *
I agree with PenguinTruth, that the scene where Cornello is talking to Lust, he doesn't even sound like Cornello! I know that it's really Envy, but he still should sound like Cornello.

Ah, yeah. If Cornello's voice actor can't do a recognizable imitation of Envy's voice, then he should just keep talking in the Cornello voice. Don't give us a voice that sounds like neither of them!
sidekick.kep37
Dubwise, I like this ep a lot. I mean, Maxey's Al was pretty spot-on for the most part, but at some points Al sounded completely like a girl.

Vic was Ed and... yeah, not much to say about it. It was as it usually is.

And wow I am seriously loving how Travis is doing Roy. It sounded exactly as I had hoped for when I read volume 2 of the manga a LONG time ago. I love it. High-five to you, Mr. Willingham.

Colleen's Hawkeye is better than it was last series, but I would like her pitch to just be a tad more higher. Whenever Hawkeye speaks, my bro decides to go and make his voice as deep as possible and repeat Hawkeye's line, once again solidifying his opinion of Hawkeye's manly voice. At least it isn't super manly like last series... but I'd still like it a tad higher.

Sabat and Straight were of course spot-on, as they often are. I ask so much of some of the other VAs sometimes, I often forget to shower those two with praise for their awesome, usually flawless, voice acting.

SCAR. I don't like it. He has this weird accent thing and I feel no terror in him at all. To me, he sounds like some European hitman who lacks emotion when completing a job. Out of nowhere, he reminded me of Gaara from the Naruto dub (granted I never watched Naruto in sub)- saying what he needed to say without emotion at all. At this point, I'm really starting to miss Dameon Clarke's Scar, and I don't know about the rest of you, but I thought Clarke would've been great for Brotherhood...

Anyways, cool dubbed ep.

IceSkadi
I've just seen some part of the first five episodes dubbed in english and, despite english is not my native language, I would like to give my opinion about it : D

First of all I think that in english the whole FMA has a completely different atmosphere, but it happens with other dubs as well.

My favorite voices so far are Armstrong, Riza, and Envy's one. Alex's dubber makes a voice quite similar to the original one while Riza's voice is the best one that I've heard so far for this character (the japanese one is too high imo and the one in my own language is good, but too deep and sometimes it has a strange accent). Envy's voice is almost exactly how I imagined it for that character! It really fits it.

My least favorite voice is the one of Ed. Seems like the dubber uses the same tone of voice for everything, sad or happy scenes, but maybe it's just me that can't get the variations of tone in his voice...dunno. Oh and I don't really like Lust voice too. It's too soft for that character.

For the other characters I think that Roy's voice is very good, but too deep for my tastes while Al's one sounded strange at the beginning but in the fifth episode was quite great biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.