Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FMA: Brotherhood English Dub & VA Cast Discussions
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Anime
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
shanryelric
QUOTE (Sal_san @ Feb 13 2010, 04:13 PM) *
QUOTE (sidekick.kep37 @ Feb 12 2010, 11:52 PM) *
Wait, there's an animax dub? Pardon my naivety, but they sound familiar but I don't think I'm familiar with their work...

Yep, but I guess it's only available on Animax Asia. ^^; It's not horrible, yet it's nothing amazing either...

Still lol'ing over Russian accent!Armstrong. XD

Which reminds me, I better go search around for the Funi dub now...

ah well, anyway it's so not impressive, the animax dub is. sorry. don't like dubs,, but FMA is ok.. biggrin.gif i dont like the animax dub =='' somewhat. just dont like it. OOC.
Sal_san
QUOTE (shanryelric @ Feb 13 2010, 03:36 AM) *
ah well, anyway it's so not impressive, the animax dub is. sorry. don't like dubs,, but FMA is ok.. biggrin.gif i dont like the animax dub =='' somewhat. just dont like it. OOC.

And I can understand why. -.-' But it's strangely amusing at some point...
shanryelric
QUOTE (Sal_san @ Feb 13 2010, 06:11 PM) *
And I can understand why. -.-' But it's strangely amusing at some point...
amusing? like how?? biggrin.gif
Chiyo
Sal_san and shanryelric - since you failed to pay any attention to what I said, let me talk to you directly. What you are doing is chatting to each other. Chatting comes under the cover of spam and I must ask you to stop NOW. If you wish to discuss the dub on this level, send each other messages via PM instead of clogging up the topic with your chatter. Once you have acknowledged what I have said, I will be deleting this message.

I must also ask you to stop quoting several posts at once. It forms a pyramid of posts, takes up space and is completely needless. I will alter them for now but please, listen to me. I have a wrench, and I know how to use it.
Sal_san
^^ I see... I didn't know, and I'm sorry. ^^; I'll stop now.

(And I hope this doesn't classify as spam either.)
S.F. Thunder

I actually prefer dub over sub. I love the Japanese voice actors, especially Romi Paku, but there's something about hearing everything in my own language that makes watching anime so much better for me. I raised my love for FMA on the dub, too, so that might be why I like it better- it was the first version I became familiar with.

So, I am very excited about the English dub. Taking all things into consideration, I do think that the actors are all good- even Vic. I mean, yes, Funi should have used a kid or a chick to play young Ed, but since there was no other option for Vic I think he did a good job in that role for Anime1. Remembering that English is a lot different than Japanese and that the different cultures portray different things, well, differently I must say I'm very impressed with what the dub of anime1 accomplished.

Either way, I look forward to staying up late tonight. <3
Animeoldtimer
I agree with @SF Thunder about hearing the show in my own native language. This will be my first anime that I will have actually watched the subs and the dubs. I usually just see the dubs unless there isn't one. So, I will actually get to decide which I like better. It's fun!

Also, I've seen how dubbing has improved over the years which is why I don't hate it now. Some of the earliest English dubs of anime, like Speed Racer, were so bad you can understand why I think highly of the currently dubbed shows.

I have a question though. They are only airing one episode tonight and repeating it later in the morning correct?
A Pierrot's Aria
^I agree with you both! : ) It was the dub of the first anime that got me into FMA in the first place. I've never felt the need to watch it in subs, and nor will I ever. I enjoy the dub too much.

And yes, Animeoldtimer, that's correct! : D
Jen_Elric
Finally, it starts tonight! And in celebration, I'm wearing my FMA shirt. lol

Still, I'm a little nervous in hearing Al's new voice actress. But I'm pretty sure she'll sound fine.
Hyperthia
Same with me. It was the English dub of the first anime that got me into FMA (it was episode 7 too, so I had to know what the heck I had just watched! XD).
I actually have never liked anime before; I just thought it was so weird, and I'd always think of poorly-dubbed animes like Speed Racer, which made it seem more undesirable for me.
FMA caught my attention though. I don't think anything can compare to it! I think what got me is that it is so different from other animes; I have never seen anything like it before.
It was thanks to the English dub, that I read the manga and got into the fandom.
So yeah. Thank you, dubs! :E

This is also my first time keeping up with the subs and the dubs, which means I get to be a critic ohmy.gif
Just kidding, but how excitin'!?
I didn't watch many of the subs from the first anime, except for a few of my favorite episodes (me just wanting to see the difference between the actors, etc...).
For Brotherhood, I prefer watching the RAW before I watch the subs. Sometimes, I don't even have to watch the subs to understand what the characters are saying/doing, which is weird because I don't know any Japanese.
Hah! Reminds me of (I think it was the episode from 2 weeks ago), when the characters came across some dynamite. I was already thinking in my head, "Dynamito!" and then they actually said that exact word! I tripped out for a good thirty seconds. Maybe I subconsciously knew (like I've heard the word before, and I just don't remember) XD

Okay, now I'm rambling. Shutting up.
Broken Chouchou
Never cared for the dub of the first series, though I have to admit it is pretty decent compared to a lot of things out there.

Now though, I'm actually looking forward to seeing it dubbed, for some reason. I guess it'll be fun hearing Maxey Whitehead as Al, I never was as fond of Aaron as everyone else seems to be. Also, hearing Vic again, and see (err, hear) if he has improved, will be nice. Romi Park IS Fullmetal Alchemist for me, but Vic... I don't know, his voice has a certain charm to it as well. It's raspy and whispery, and more than on occasion a little cheesy, but despite that, and of how much I preferred the original actors of the old series, his voice grew on me. I think I've said this before, but when reading the manga I actually visualised (err, audioalised? XD) Vic's voice in my head when Ed was speaking sometimes. When not imagining Romi's, of course tongue.gif

And it'll be interesting to see if the english dub will work well with this (early on at least) fast-paced series, without everything feeling even more rushed.
hawkflame
As good as the original Japanese cast is, the first series is one where I would actually rather listen to it in English. It's a series inspired by early 20th century Europe, so I think having it in English just seems to make a little more sense. Plus I never really liked it when women voiced teenage male characters, with the exception of Alphonse (and he's only 14).

I thought J Michael Tatum was fine in the Premium OVA Collection, and I thought Maxey Whitehead did a good job as Antonio in Romeo x Juliet, so I'm sure she'll do a fine job here.

Can't wait until midnight!
FullMetalFist
I know its going to be amazing. I am having a party and no one is coming lol. A few people I guess there are not enough anime fans in my area. O well. I am really excited, ya I think Whitehead will do a good job. I think the Dub will be just as good or better than the original series. As one of you were saying earlier to see if Vic improved, I am sure he will be awesome. Although I am one of the people that loved the Dubbed original series.
Animeoldtimer
The guy who does Issac's voice sounds a bit like Peter Cullen.
Disasterpiece
I wonder what Scar's new voice will be like

I'm right, aren't I? Or am I going crazy..I heard someone say that they cast a new person for him so..can someone rectify this?
hawkflame
Okay, first imrpessions-

Feh, they edited down the opening. Fine as long as they don't touch the episode itself.

Maxey Whitehead was a little inconsistent. Sometimes she sounded great, just like Aaron, sometimes she sounded a tad too young, even for Al. Maybe I just need some getting used to it.

Not a fan of Brian Masey as Isaac, but he's only in this episode so no biggie.

Vic was vic, I thought he pretty much picked up where he left off with Ed.

Some of the others, it seemed to take much of the episode to get into the skin of the characters- Armstrong and Hughes didn't quite sound like Armstrong and Hughes as I knew them until midway through the episode.

The other one that stuck out to me was Eric Vale as Kimblee- still got a bit of the vibe of Kimblee the psycho bomber from the first series; I wonder how he's going to approach the more cerebral and refined Kimblee of Brotherhood later on.

I actually thought it was a pretty good dub over all, just seemed that the actors to take some time to shake off rust, so to speak.
Disasterpiece
Ok.

I was grinning like an idiot while I watched it. It was so awesome to hear Armstrong, Roy, Bradley and Ed again with their respective voice actors.

Hughes, nuff said wink.gif

To be perfectly honest, I was impressed. I think they went above and beyond in terms of performance. More dramatic, but in the best of ways.

But the thing that made me cringe was Alphonse....Maxey Whitehead...

I TRIED to think of it more as Ed's brother and not as Aaron but..I don't know..she made Al sound more innocent than what Aaron delivered in the first anime. Aaron gave an innocent but seemingly determined tone of voice. Maxey's voice kind of made it a little awkward for me, and I'm aware of the fact that she's female so the voice would be different (obviously) but I just didn't detect the presence that Aaron brought in the first anime. Could it just simply be the fact she's female and has a different tone? I mean there WERE parts where I thought it was Aaron (I know that his voice changed, mind you lol)..maybe a question of tone in general and nothing related to gender tones? (sorry if i'm losing anybody but i'm trying to break it down in the best way possible(

Maybe after a few more episodes, maybe my opinion will change.

@hawkflame: I think you and I share common ground.

And they cut the intro short! graaaah
penguintruth
My thoughts:

- Vic's Ed is exactly the way it was before. Take this how you will. I'm guessing that's good for a lot of you. I wasn't impressed, but I wasn't disappointed, either. It was about what I thought it would be.

- The new Alphonse would be great if I could hear her better. They have her turned way down low.

- Travis Willingham's Roy sounds weirdly unlike him. Same with Sonny Strait's Hughes. Did they practice before they recorded them for this episode? I mean, it hasn't been that long since I heard them in the first dub, I was watching it the other day. What happened?

- Chris Sabat's Armstrong is still excellent. It's the role he was born to play.

- Isaac's voice was just awful. I honestly think even I could have done better in that role, and I've never voice acted once. And I hate that they called him "Isaac the Freezer". He's not Barry the Chopper. Stick to Ice/Freezing Alchemist.

- Elicia Hughes' voice was painful to listen to.

- Bradley's voice was the same. Still not great. It lacks that booming quality of the Japanese VA. But if you liked it in the first dub, you'll still like it here.

- I can't really tell much from Riza.

- Kimbley's VA sounds out of practice. There's another that was pretty good in the first dub, but wasn't here.

It sounded a little bit like they recorded this episode once, and that was it.

I still like all the action going on in the episode, even though it was pure fanservice.

I wish they didn't have to speed up the OP and ED and forgo the next episode preview.

This was pretty awful. I may have disliked the first series dub, but this was worse.
Disasterpiece
^

Someone's a bit of a Negative Nancy =P

I don't know about you man, but I thought the actors/actresses delivered. I felt Travis and Chris brought their A-game full court..and I was wondering how they'd pull off the stuff (more intense yelling in brotherhood it seems) this time around, and they did. IMO, at least.
hawkflame
QUOTE (Disasterpiece @ Feb 14 2010, 12:42 AM) *
I TRIED to think of it more as Ed's brother and not as Aaron but..I don't know..she made Al sound more innocent than what Aaron delivered in the first anime. Aaron gave an innocent but seemingly determined tone of voice. Maxey's voice kind of made it a little awkward for me, and I'm aware of the fact that she's female so the voice would be different (obviously) but I just didn't detect the presence that Aaron brought in the first anime. Could it just simply be the fact she's female and has a different tone? I mean there WERE parts where I thought it was Aaron (I know that his voice changed, mind you lol)..maybe a question of tone in general and nothing related to gender tones? (sorry if i'm losing anybody but i'm trying to break it down in the best way possible(

Maybe it's just me, but I thought she sounded perfectly like Al in the middle of the episode, but a bit too young and innocent at the beginning and end. She needs to remember Al's 14, not 8.
Disasterpiece
QUOTE (hawkflame @ Feb 14 2010, 12:12 AM) *
Maybe it's just me, but I thought she sounded perfectly like Al in the middle of the episode, but a bit too young and innocent at the beginning and end. She needs to remember Al's 14, not 8.

@hawkflame - I thought that too, and I believe you're right. When I first heard Al speak I was like "...oh dear lord..." I think she COULD have delievered the determination that Aaron delivered in the first anime. There was magic behind his voice.
penguintruth
QUOTE (Disasterpiece @ Feb 14 2010, 01:06 AM) *
...Someone's a bit of a Negative Nancy =P...

I'm under no obligation to be positive about failure.

I said positive things about the positive elements. Which, at last count, was Sabat's Armstrong, and possibly the new Al when I can hear her better.
Tombow
All right, let me try to clear up the confusion again. biggrin.gif

If you want to post about your general opinions of each VAs , this is the right thread.

If you want to talk about the CONTENT of episode 1 airing tonight, such as, missing ending/preview, then the thread to talk about that is FMA:B ep1 content discussion thread.

Hope I'm making it clear. biggrin.gif
Vlyse
Episode 1: Fullmetal Alchemist

Maxey Whitehead - Her first line was terrible. She sounded younger than she was supposed to. Then throughout the episode, she was really quiet and I couldn't even hear her when she said something the same time as someone else (Vic). However, she sounds close to Aaron, and she seemed to improve. I think I'll like her better than Aaron as time goes on. At times, Aaron was just annoying for me.

Watching it a second time, she grew on me a lot. She just needs to be louder.

Travis Willingham - His voice isn't as deep. That's a good sign for what will come.

Colleen Clinkbeard
- Hard to comment from one line, but I think she'll be fine for what's to come also. After all, she voices Rose, too. I was surprised when I found that out, so I have faith in her range.

Ed Blaylock
- I liked him a lot from the first series. He sounds the same, but I hope he can pull off a better villainous voice later on.

Laura Bailey - She sounds perfect. I don't hear a dramatic Lust this time around. Just pure villain like she should be.

Vic, Sonny, and Armstrong (?) sounded the same to me, except for Sonny's introduction scene which just sounded awkward.

All in all, I'm very impressed and excited about the dub, which was where it started for me. After 43 subbed episodes of Brotherhood, the Japanese VAs have grown on me. I look forward to seeing the English VAs' attempts to match them.

Next episode, I don't look forward to hearing Wrath The Truth.
deet-tastic
I loved how young Vic sounded in the flashback scene.
So much better than the first anime, where he sounded just the same.

They need to turn the volume up on Al. He sounded really quite and to..echo-y. Like, if the fleshy Al were standing inside the armor, he was clear down at the legs yelling up through the helmet and then you could hear him.
But it's a pilot.

So let's hope all this gets adjusted, and then when the DVD's come out they fix the quirks.
Kirara
I see a bunch of people complaining about Al's VA being too quiet (here & elsewhere) and not being able to hear her. But I heard her perfectly well. Maybe my volume was up too loud and I just didn't notice. I assume if so many people couldn't hear her well it must really be a problem.

Anyways I liked the dub but that's because I liked the dub from the old anime and all the voices were very familair (and the new Al was obviously trying to emulate Aaron). Hopefully the dub voice actors will also be able to convey the differences in the characters in Brotherhood as well.
Rainshine
I really wish my TV showed Adult Swim now. ;_;

It seems like a lot of people don't like Maxey Whitehead as Alphonse... huh.gif
Does anyone know where I can watch the dubbed episodes?
deet-tastic
^ I keep checking different sites and good ole google. But I haven't found it up yet.

I know it will at sometime tomorrow.

I liked Maxey, she just seemed a bit quite. But it was Alphonse-sama biggrin.gif
Hagaren_4ever
OH MY GOD ALPHONSE WHAT DID THEY DO TO YOU? I'm sitting here, all excited, like "Yay! The new dub is out! Yaaayy!" loving everyone's voices and then Alphonse comes in like, "mummermummmmemmmer" and I'm like "WHAT?!?"

*ahem* Sorry, I'm just a little upset. I'm sure she will grow on be but for now she sounds too much like a woman trying to play a little boy and not enough like a little boy.

As for the rest of the cast I'm pretty content. I look forward to seeing Caitlin Glass's work in a few episodes. Also, has it been revealed what Aaron's "big part" is yet?
A Pierrot's Aria
I've finally heard it, and I must say, I love it! It's GREAT to have it in English again! : )
I think Al's voice will definitely grow on me, his first line was a little shaky, like others said, but Maxey definitely improved throughout! The same with Vic's young!Ed, the scream sent shivers down my spine. (And for the record, I heard Al loud and clear. xD)

Can't wait for the next episode!
Flamez_Freak
QUOTE (penguintruth @ Feb 14 2010, 11:28 AM) *
My thoughts:

- Vic's Ed is exactly the way it was before. Take this how you will. I'm guessing that's good for a lot of you. I wasn't impressed, but I wasn't disappointed, either. It was about what I thought it would be.

- The new Alphonse would be great if I could hear her better. They have her turned way down low.

- Travis Willingham's Roy sounds weirdly unlike him. Same with Sonny Strait's Hughes. Did they practice before they recorded them for this episode? I mean, it hasn't been that long since I heard them in the first dub, I was watching it the other day. What happened?

- Chris Sabat's Armstrong is still excellent. It's the role he was born to play.

- Isaac's voice was just awful. I honestly think even I could have done better in that role, and I've never voice acted once. And I hate that they called him "Isaac the Freezer". He's not Barry the Chopper. Stick to Ice/Freezing Alchemist.

- Elicia Hughes' voice was painful to listen to.

- Bradley's voice was the same. Still not great. It lacks that booming quality of the Japanese VA. But if you liked it in the first dub, you'll still like it here.

- I can't really tell much from Riza.

- Kimbley's VA sounds out of practice. There's another that was pretty good in the first dub, but wasn't here.

It sounded a little bit like they recorded this episode once, and that was it.

I still like all the action going on in the episode, even though it was pure fanservice.

I wish they didn't have to speed up the OP and ED and forgo the next episode preview.

This was pretty awful. I may have disliked the first series dub, but this was worse.

well...for the 2nd time in my life...i guess i have to agree with u penguintruth...AWFUL......
come on guys....romi 0wnzzzz vic.....and for those who have said....they got into fma because of dubs....well im in that category too...but i have to admit...i should have started with the original j cast...
i dislike dubs...but i also have to admit...fma dub is better than most dubs out there...but not as good as the original....
Hagaren_4ever
I think Hughes' introduction scene was over-the-top. He was talking too fast and too loud. I think that as the series goes on we will grow to like the voices. And let's not forget that the episodes get better, too. They didn't really get very many dramatic or serious scenes in this episode, so maybe we'll like them more as they get more chances to shine.
Brittdvorak
Aaron has not been cast as anything yet. Both of us doubt that he willl get a big role...he doesn't really fit anywhere anymore.
black~hayate
I know, guys, you all are busy discussing right now, don't be mad about my question.
Is there any way for people from Europe like me to watch adultswim? My TV sure doesn't show it and in the internets I cannot watch the videos from Adultswim.com, because I am an European. They won't let me. What to do? Will someone post the dubbed episodes sooner or later?
Disasterpiece
QUOTE (Hagaren_4ever @ Feb 14 2010, 08:28 AM) *
I think Hughes' introduction scene was over-the-top. He was talking too fast and too loud. I think that as the series goes on we will grow to like the voices. And let's not forget that the episodes get better, too. They didn't really get very many dramatic or serious scenes in this episode, so maybe we'll like them more as they get more chances to shine.

It was Hughes. He is always over the top laugh.gif

As for this Maxey Alphonse thing, I'll say this. The FIRST few words spoken by her were okay. But the next few before the intro theme was >_< I think I know where people are getting the "quiet" bit from..when they're taking the Freezer away in shackles. I thought Al was ranting needlessly about something.

In my honest opinion, I think her voice may just be too light...unless the future episodes can have her improve.
Trakonda
QUOTE (penguintruth @ Feb 14 2010, 07:58 AM) *
And I hate that they called him "Isaac the Freezer". He's not Barry the Chopper. Stick to Ice/Freezing Alchemist.

..Wow. I can't even describe how lame that sounds. D: *gets reminded of a white, cube-shaped freezer nicknamed as Isaac*
XD Yes I'm tired, so my sense of humor acts the same way.

But yeah. As I'm in Europe, I can't see Adult Swim either. I started off with original japanese VA's so they always will remain as my favourites, but it sure would be nice to hear the english cast, too. I've seen english episodes of the old anime here and there, I remember they did pretty decent job back then.

Though I remember that even back then I had some difficulty to hear what Al was saying, even with Aaron as the voice actor and all. I wonder why's that. Maybe their attempts to create 'echoness' in his voice are a little bit overdone? I dunno. I'm worried to hear that this same problem seems to be with the new dub as well. D: Guess I'll have to see for myself, once this ep is out on the internet.
shanryelric
QUOTE (fma_milan_freak @ Feb 14 2010, 09:09 PM) *
well...for the 2nd time in my life...i guess i have to agree with u penguintruth...AWFUL......
come on guys....romi 0wnzzzz vic.....and for those who have said....they got into fma because of dubs....well im in that category too...but i have to admit...i should have started with the original j cast...
i dislike dubs...but i also have to admit...fma dub is better than most dubs out there...but not as good as the original....

rite. i have to admit that i agree too. i.. yes, again i have to say i hate dubs, romi park owns ed.
but i like FMA dub. j dub rules. but FMA's english dub is one of the best anyway.
(sorry! if anybody hate my comment just say it) T.T
edxwinryfan
I found the episode on youtube biggrin.gif here are my thoughts on the voice actors:
Vic Mignogna- Awesome, as always smile.gif
Maxey Whitehead- I don't like her very much so far. I think she sounds too much like a girl instead of a 14 year old boy sad.gif She will definitely take some getting used to. I'll miss hearing Aaron sad.gif
Travis Willingham- He was pretty good biggrin.gif
Sonny Strait- He was okay, not quite as good as the first series,but I'm sure he will improve.
Christopher Sabet- He was good.

The actors who played Elysia and Gracia were definitely not as good as the first series. They must have different voice actors. Elysia was just awful!
I can't wait to hear Caitlin Glass as Winry biggrin.gif
A Pierrot's Aria
^I know what you mean with Gracia and Elysia...

However, good news for those who want to download it, Cartoon Palace has a torrent of the episode up! : )
black~hayate
QUOTE (A Pierrot's Aria @ Feb 14 2010, 05:57 PM) *
^I know what you mean with Gracia and Elysia...

However, good news for those who want to download it, Cartoon Palace has a torrent of the episode up! : )

This is very nice! However, I don't use torrents. I like rapidshares. Thank you anyways! If it's up for torrent, then it will be up in something else in no time! So we Europeans have hooope!
A Pierrot's Aria
^Sorry about that! X_X

I hope this isn't going TOO off topic, for those who don't use torrent, I uploaded CP's onto Megaupload for the time being because it's faster.... http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2LN5OVFF

But I'm uploading it to rapidshare, too, which takes much longer. xD;; I'll edit the post when it's done! (Knowing my luck someone will post a rapidshare link before mine finishes! xD)
FailToImpress
So let me get this right... was it two episodes that were shown last night? I was looking at the schedule on the website and for the next two weeks it's two eps a night. I didn't realise they were doing that, haha.

Also, thank you for that link A Pierrot's Aria!
A Pierrot's Aria
No worries! : )

Here's a rapidshare link if anyone prefers that...
black~hayate
Wow, perrot, thank you, very nice of you! I also hope, it's not too much offtopic... thank you for the effort! happy.gif
FMAobsessed
I was pleased with Travis and Colleen's perfomance in the first episode. Although Colleen did only have like one line. But they did fine in the first series, and since they are actors I believe they will get better with each episode. Also for those who did watch the dub, were you upset that Riza's lipsynching was cut from the opening? I guess she isn't angsty enough to be shown doing it.

Also has anyone ever wondered why Riza's father never taught her alchemy? Do you think it is because she never wanted to learn, or her father thought it was too dangerous for her to learn? Or do you have your own theories.
Little Washu
QUOTE (penguintruth @ Sep 25 2009, 06:26 PM) *
It dismays, but doesn't surprise me, that Vic Mignogna will continue to mess up Edward Elric. He's a terribly medicore VA and his Edward is painful to listen to. Same thing with Catlin Glass's earsplittingly bad Winry, Chris Patton's flat Greed, and Travis Willingham's half-hearted Roy Mustang.

I'm surprised, and glad, that they replaced Dameon Clarke as Scar. I can't say the same for Alphonse, because Aaron Dismuke was one of the few good voices in the original dub.

Hopefully Brina Pelencia doesn't play Nina as a brain-damaged girl this time. "Wittle bwig bwatha", indeed. (Children do not actually speak that way.)

Anyway, the DVDs will be bilingual, so I don't have to listen to the English dub, but it burns me up that people could like Vic as Ed. He's going to get even more popular now and be in more dubs to the point where I'll be unable to watch anything dubbed. Romi Paku is brilliant as Ed, and Vic will never be that good.

BAWWWWWWWWWW

As for this dub:

Ed - Same as always, decent~
Al - Hafta get used to, but alright.
Roy - Improved! Even better than before!
Hughes - Still makes me lol, props to Sonny.
Gracia - Not as warm sounding, but alright
Elicia - Not as cute ; ;
Bradley - Same, very good
Lust - Sexy as ever~

All in all, once Maxey eases into her role as Al, the dub will be a-okay with me.
Radadinator
QUOTE (FailToImpress @ Feb 14 2010, 12:01 PM) *
So let me get this right... was it two episodes that were shown last night?

Wait. Two showings of the same episode, or Episodes 1 and 2?

Never really cared for the dub much--I just tuned in to see FMA on my TV, really. But I'm impressed with Vic's young Ed voice. Okay, it still sounds like Ed's hitting puberty, but it sounded a bit younger and the acting was good.

I think Maxey's a little quiet because she's concentrating mostly on sounding like Aaron. She'll get louder as the episodes go on.

Elysia sounded fourteen.

It's been a while since I've watched the first series dub, but has Mustang always sounded that deep and cool?

Bradley sounds like he's trying to put in a bit of Sean Connery for some reason.

Kimbley sounded like he was coughing up spit globs while talking and Isaac was...well, at least he's only in one episode?

Overall, Vic really isn't that bad, he's just not as good as Park Romi. He's a pretty big FMA turd himself and he at least tries, you know? smile.gif

I really don't want to hear Wrath again.
sidekick.kep37
@ FailToImpress: They show each episode twice each Sunday. Like for me (since I'm in the Central USA time zone), episode 1 airs at 11 and then again at 3. It's just a rerun.

My thoughts on when I saw it....
-Vic as Ed is generally pretty much the same. I don't really know if that's good or bad, but I haven't heard his voice in a while and I guess it's kind of comforting in a way to hear it again (seeing as I got into FMA via the dub).

-Maxey's Al... oh jeez, my eyes dilated in shock when I heard it. My inner subconscious expected Aaron's voice even though I was already aware of him not coming back as Al, but when I heard Maxey, I was just not happy. It sounded too young and then it started going into a high-ish pitched mutter. But I still have faith. She'll improve, it'll just take a while...

-Travis is alright actually. His voice is still deep, but he doesn't have the super heavy tone of "srsz bzns" anymore, which is good.

-Sonny... at first I questioned whether or not it was actually Sonny since he sounded different, but then it all came back to me. So that's good.

-Chris Sabat!!!! God, that guy really was born just to play Armstrong. But his voice initially didn't have that hardcore booming effect that I expected, but it jumped right back in after a while. I'm glad.

-Colleen had a one liner. It had emotion (yes!!! >:D) that basically said "Does he not know that water>fire?" But... I'll just have to wait. As long as the "manliness" of Riza disappears in her voice, I'll be happy.

-Kimblee... no. Too different. I prefer the old Kimblee's VA (who I regretfully do not remember). His creepiness and the way he disturbed me was awesome. This Kimblee is... too calm....

-Bradley! Always loved Blaylock's VA as Bradley. Not sure why- maybe he just sounded like he could be a dictator?

-Lust, still going sexy I see. That's good.

-Elysia... Rly? She's, like 3, and she speaks more eloquently that my 7 year old brother. I don't like her. She's not as adorable.

Initially, I thought that this dub was "crap", but now that I wrote it out, it seems that it'll do fine after we get all the VAs rounded out. smile.gif
Little Washu
QUOTE (sidekick.kep37 @ Feb 14 2010, 11:39 PM) *
-Kimblee... no. Too different. I prefer the old Kimblee's VA (who I regretfully do not remember). His creepiness and the way he disturbed me was awesome. This Kimblee is... too calm....

-Elysia... Rly? She's, like 3, and she speaks more eloquently that my 7 year old brother. I don't like her. She's not as adorable.

Kimblee's old VA was Eric Vale, who was also Yuki Sohma in Fruits Basket, heheh.

I liked the Elysia before better too ; ;
Vlyse
QUOTE (Little Washu @ Feb 15 2010, 12:54 AM) *
Kimblee's old VA was Eric Vale, who was also Yuki Sohma in Fruits Basket, heheh.

I liked the Elysia before better too ; ;

Eric Vale isn't old. He's still voicing Kimblee. But he needs to stop with the "mad bomber" attitude. Brotherhood's Kimblee is not the same Kimblee.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.