Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FMA: Brotherhood English Dub & VA Cast Discussions
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Anime
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
The Bearded One
Has the English dub voice for Oliver been announced yet? Because I think Lydia Mackey would be an excellent choice for Oliver. She played a similar character, Sephiria Arks, in Black Cat and I can see her lecturing about the “survival of the fittest.”

I agree that the part of Ling will probably be given to Aaron. Pride still puzzles me however; do you think he’ll be played by a boy or a girl?
Kale Mustang
QUOTE (The Bearded One @ Nov 13 2009, 03:32 PM) *
Pride still puzzles me however; do you think he’ll be played by a boy or a girl?

I'm thinking for Selim will most likely be played by a girl, with a male distortion/overdub for Pride when in the shadows. Once on-screen as Pride, probably a combo of both voices would be my guess.
The Bearded One
In that case it’ll be like The Exorcist …. Awesome!
BloodRed Alchemist
Has the English dub voice for Oliver been announced yet? Because I think Lydia Mackey would be an excellent choice for Oliver. She played a similar character, Sephiria Arks, in Black Cat and I can see her lecturing about the “survival of the fittest.”

I agree that the part of Ling will probably be given to Aaron. Pride still puzzles me however; do you think he’ll be played by a boy or a girl?

No they have not announced that yet. I think Lydia Mackey would be a good VA for her I also thought Monica Rial because of her role as Jo in Burst Angel and Dante in the first FMA series,but now I'm thinking that might be too deep of a voice.Hmmm...
alicechen
Wow, I'm quite late, I didn't know that Maxey Whitehead is a woman!! huh.gif
Aww I will miss Aaron's voice as Al. So innocent and pleasing to the ears. I'm anticipating for his "major role" later on!
Vlyse
Funimation just launched a new FMA website. (fullmetalalchemist.com)

It says FMA:B website is coming soon, too. I bet there will be new information on the dub, with the possibility of a trailer.

Part 1 (however many episodes that is) available on DVD & Blue-ray 4/20/2010 according to Funimation's episode descriptions on YouTube.
penguintruth
QUOTE (Vlyse @ Dec 3 2009, 11:09 PM) *
Part 1 (however many episodes that is) available on DVD & Blue-ray 4/20/2010 according to Funimation's episode descriptions on YouTube.

I'm guessing that it's the first fourteen episodes of the series, since that was sort of the first "part" to the Japanese.

Now this is something I'm really looking forward to. Blu-Ray too, huh? If there wasn't a reason to get a Blu-Ray player before, there is now. Either way, my DVDs for the first series will have some more company in my top anime drawer (where I only keep Cowboy Bebop and FMA). I wonder if it'll be a thinpad set.

I wish it was coming out over the holidays. I'm just going to have to save any money or gift cards I receive.
Deadbeat007
I've always liked Vic's work in the series, so I'm pleased to hear he's returning. Looking forward to hearing the new Al at work.
hawkflame
QUOTE (BloodRed Alchemist @ Nov 15 2009, 12:26 AM) *

No they have not announced that yet. I think Lydia Mackey would be a good VA for her I also thought Monica Rial because of her role as Jo in Burst Angel and Dante in the first FMA series,but now I'm thinking that might be too deep of a voice.Hmmm...

How about Zarah Little? She did play him in the first series...
lunneth
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AARON DISMUKE AS LING? NO F-ING WAY. NOT ON MY WATCH. OH MY GOD I WOULD HAVE KILLED TO SEE GREG AYRES IN THAT ROLE. AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH
Kyelinn
o_o Relax...jeeze. Nothing has been confirmed about Aaron voicing Ling has it? At least I've not seen anything. It's just all speculation and rumour at this point.
hawkflame
QUOTE (Lunneth elric @ Dec 11 2009, 08:01 AM) *
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AARON DISMUKE AS LING? NO F-ING WAY. NOT ON MY WATCH. OH MY GOD I WOULD HAVE KILLED TO SEE GREG AYRES IN THAT ROLE. AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH

So you'd choose to not cast Aaron at all in the series?
Sal_san
Does it matter if Aaron is cast at all?

I just want a good voice actor who can do a good job. ^^;
hawkflame
QUOTE (Sal_san @ Dec 11 2009, 10:33 PM) *
Does it matter if Aaron is cast at all?

I just want a good voice actor who can do a good job. ^^;

That's what they;re looking to do, anyway. Basically the idea was that he was such a big part of the first dub that they thought it would be a real shame if Aaron wasn't invovled in some way in the new series.
Bag of Magic Food
Couldn't he just play Alphonse again?
hawkflame
QUOTE (Bag of Magic Food @ Dec 12 2009, 10:46 PM) *
Couldn't he just play Alphonse again?

Problem is, he's not twelve years old anymore. He's seventeen.
Sal_san
I think a deeper voice would suite Al in this series though, since he isn't just Ed's puppydog follower anymore. ^^;
Hagaren_4ever
^Erm, not really. You can't really give a 17 year old voice to an 11 year old boy. That's that's how old Alphonse's voice is.
As for me, I can't think of anyone for Ling, because I don't really think you could beat Ling's japanese voice actor, he just nailed it. But I'm one of those people that can get used to any voice for a character over time so, let's just wait and see what we get.

BTW, does anyone know if any channel is buying the new episodes? Will Adult Swim renew their Fullmetal Alchemist contract for the new season?
lunneth
QUOTE (hawkflame @ Dec 11 2009, 09:12 AM) *
QUOTE (Lunneth elric @ Dec 11 2009, 08:01 AM) *

So you'd choose to not cast Aaron at all in the series?

i just wouldn't. i always imagined ling with grating tones in his voice when he was angry. thats what defined his voice for me to be honest. i think if his dub voice is similar to his japanese one then that'd be fine. in fact it would be my second choice but aaron just sounds wrong for ling. (to me at least). i can't properly describe it but i just think that
Kyelinn
Why does Aaron sound wrong for Ling? Have you even heard how deep his voice has actually gotten at all? Why couldn't he voice Ling? I guess I just don't understand your logic, unless you're thinking of how he sounded when he was Al *shrugs*
Hyperthia
Aaron could voice Ling... but I'm just not feeling it. I dunno. I've heard his voice now, and it just doesn't match the way Ling looks imho.

It seems like everyone is assuming that Aaron will play Ling. They haven't officially told us, so we could all be completely off. Has anyone considered that he might actually play young Hohenheim?

Just a thought I wanted to throw out there. What do you think?
Irena
^ You know, I like the idea of Aaron as young Hohenheim better than him as Ling. As much as I like Aaron, I've been a little leery of him playing Ling because it just doesn't seem to fit - and giving him that particular role just because he was part of the cast for the first series seems unfair to other potential actors who could give a much better voice to the character.
Hyperthia
^Precisely. And young Hohenheim is a considerably large role just because of the character himself. I think it would be a real pleasant surprise to hear Aaron's voice come from young Hohenheim.
It would actually make him quite ah... sexy... heehee ^^

Ling just doesn't suit Aaron's voice, or rather Aaron's voice doesn't suit Ling. Whatever you want to choose. I think Ling should have a more adult sounding voice, yet still boyish like how Vic is for Ed.

ETA: Dec. 30, 2009
No I take that back.
Ling should have a sexy, deep voice wink.gif

Edit; Jan 1st:
I take that back... again.
I can't decide! Ling's voice should be mature, but not mature at the same time. It would fit his personality better because when we meet him, he's a bit hyperactive and kind of a pain, like a kid. Kind of like Ed, actually. Yet, his voice should still have a mature ring to it. Again, kind of like Ed. Aaron has the boyish thing going on, but I don't think his voice is mature enough to play Ling.
Course, I could be completely wrong. Maybe he can make his voice sound deeper, but I dunno...
I can only hope for the best.

I've already brought this up in another thread, about Vic Mignogna, but the one thing that bugs me about Vic, is that he does the voice for Ed as a kid. I find it awkward and somewhat creepy to hear a man's voice come out of a child's mouth.
Now I'm repeating myself. *shuts up*
shanryelric
wow~!! but too bad i hate english dubs. make it unoriginal and felt strange... vic done pretty good but caitlin's voice is so not winry. well that's what i think. no hurt feelings ok.
Deadbeat007
^ I agree with the above post as far as Winry goes. She's grown on me, but she wouldn't have been my initial pick.
shanryelric
^
winry's voice should be 'sweet' and 'girlish' while caitlin's voice does not fit in any of it... she has 'woman's' voice. no no no. so not winry.

riza's english dub is... too.. manly. how can u say that.. hmm,, her voice is way too deep and we cant see her 'feminine' side from her voice.

as for ed's english dub (vic).. he did pretty well but i prefer jap dub much lot better. vic's voice is just too mature for ed. there's no ed's 'style' in talking.
Kisara
I personally think Caitlin did a pretty good job with Winry. Like Mike McFarland said in one of the commentaries, she can express a lot of emothion in her voice without even seeing the picture. Well, I think so smile.gif

As for Aaron playing Ling; Sure, I can't see Aaron's voice suiting Ling either, but we're forgetting that he's a voice actor. I mean, who would've thought from hearing Monica Rial's voice that she could make it deeper for Dante/Lyra in the 1st season? Of course, I love Hohenheim, so that wouldn't be so bad either wink.gif
FailToImpress
Quick question, when is the English dub supposed to be airing, again? I've totally forgotten.
Has there been any new news on it?
shanryelric
hmm we dont know yet does aaron's voice fits ling or not. cause Nana Mizuki who played Wrath in FMA 2003 also played as Lan Fan in brotherhood!!

sidekick.kep37
I used to be a hardcore-pro-dub type of person. I mean, I didn't understand how and why people would rather listen to a language they didn't understand and read the show. But what threw me into being more of a sub-than-dub fan was my insane FMA fandom and my impatience. So with that as my catalyst, sub quickly grew on me and while I was watching the OVA dub I saw how weird it is. I just prefer sub because I grew on it. But I will never forget my first encounter with FMA was in dub.

QUOTE (shanryelric @ Jan 1 2010, 08:27 AM) *
riza's english dub is... too.. manly. how can u say that.. hmm,, her voice is way too deep and we cant see her 'feminine' side from her voice.

Oh dude, you got me spot-on. In the first anime, Colleen's voice worked because Riza was just that person- stoic, serious, etc. etc., but her in the manga/brotherhood, she's a more in depth character- including her more feminine side. I want to see Riza more feminine (even though I pretty much idolize her stubborn-soldierness) because it adds that much more to the character. But knowing it's Colleen is kind of a reassurance. She VA'd for Rose and some chick from Trinity Blood, so I'm confident she can do something with her voice so as not to make it toooo manly.

As for Al... no Ling plz. I heard his current voice... it doesn't work as Ling. Young Hoho sounds alright, but it's not THAT major of a character.

Vic as Ed... I liked it before, but I prefer Romi Paku's Ed. Vic, like i said before, he's grown on me. So I'll give him a chance.

Travis as Roy, initially, I was ecstatic. I loved Travis as Roy, but as someone else said, it did sound a little half-hearted. I hope he loosens up a bit since Roy is a bit more goofy (and hardcore serious at some points) to pull this off.
Tombow
QUOTE (FailToImpress @ Jan 1 2010, 04:25 PM) *
Quick question, when is the English dub supposed to be airing, again? I've totally forgotten.
Has there been any new news on it?

@FailToImpress - So far, what I heard/read is that the first English dub DVD will be released sometime in May 2010.
FailToImpress
QUOTE (Tombow @ Jan 3 2010, 03:46 AM) *
@FailToImpress - So far, what I heard/read is that the first English dub DVD will be released sometime in May 2010.

Thank you. smile.gif
I had it in my head that it was March/April so I wasn't too far off. tongue.gif I can't wait!
hawkflame
Question for everyone, then- if you HAD to cast Aaron Dismuke with his current somewhere in Brotherhood, who would you cast him as?
edxwinryfan
QUOTE (FailToImpress @ Jan 3 2010, 06:36 AM) *
QUOTE (Tombow @ Jan 3 2010, 03:46 AM) *

Thank you. smile.gif
I had it in my head that it was March/April so I wasn't too far off. tongue.gif I can't wait!

Didn't someone post on here a while ago that the DVD was going to be released on April 20th,I hope that is the date biggrin.gif

Anyway if I had to cast Aaron in Brotherhood, I would want him as Al and find a way to make his voice higher tongue.gif but that isn't really possible sad.gif So I don't know any good roles for him.
Deadbeat007
QUOTE (hawkflame @ Jan 3 2010, 03:02 PM) *
Question for everyone, then- if you HAD to cast Aaron Dismuke with his current somewhere in Brotherhood, who would you cast him as?

I think I'd like to see him as young Hoho. Even though Aaron's voice had lowered in register, he still has the same lilt, and he still pronounces things the same way. I wouldn't really want to see those similarities between Ling and FMA-1 Al. However, if they showed up between FMA-1 Al and young Hoho, I wouldn't really mind, since they're blood relatives and all. Then young Hoho would look similar to Ed, and speak similarly to Al. smile.gif
Forsaken Love
^agree, even though a 'big part' is probably inevitably ling ¬_¬ I think the best part for him would be young hoho, allthough I'm still betting on ling *tuts*
Hyperthia
I still am going with young Hoho.

Although it's not a 'big role,' it still kinda is, in a way... At least, he would make it a big role, because all of us would be on here going, "OMG! Aaron is young Hoho!!"
But yeah... I still think he should be young Hoho.

Another slight possibility would be Gate Al. 'Cause he ages and stuff... I can dream can't I?
Broken Chouchou
Off topic, but has it been announced who will do young Hoho's voice in japanese? It would be weird, but still sorta funny, if Romi Park did the role. Maybe she could adjust her voice to make it sound more "Hoho-ish" tongue.gif
belladeath
Hello all! I just joined and read this entire thread (its 3am, what can I say?).
Anyways, someone was asking if anyone was buying the rights for English dub broadcasting of FMA:B series yet so I figured I'd bring you the latest from adultswim.com.

Anime Status Update

We lost the rights to
Death Note and Blood+

hang on

Don't rally and sign internet petitions

We're just clearing house for
goodies from our last Tokyo visit

We can't tell you
anything yet.

but we think we
bought three series

[maybe]

My guess is that Adult Swim knows for sure that they got two new English broadcasting rights to the Japanese anime series (names not specified here) but they are not sure about whether they'd secured the English broadcasting rights to the third one yet.
I'm really hoping one of these is Brotherhood!
Tombow
<Program Note>

^ Hello belladeath, welcome to our board! We used to have a bunch of our members also frequenting AdultSwim.com when FMA-1 was their main line-up. It's good to know that we still got someone who can keep eyes and ears there for us. biggrin.gif
Please keep us updated if you see more news and updates there on FMA:B! ^^
(Do you remember where on AdultSwim.com you got that info? If you can, a link to the page would be appreciated. ^^)

And, BTW, I tried editing your post a bit, and added "Quoting" and added a bit of color, etc., to make it read a bit more clearer. (I hope. XD)
Hope you don't mind. ^^ (Please feel free to re-edit it as you see fit. ^^)
belladeath
I don't mind at all. smile.gif

I actually got that info from a thread about when they would release the next season of Bleach. Someone saw it on tv (you know how they do those blips?) and typed it up. It matches with the info I've seen about it so I figured it wasn't just them typing nonsense.

Here's the link.
Tombow
^ Thank you for the link! ^^ And, yeah, from the sound of it I guessed that might be from one of these "blips" as well. XD

Please keep up updated, and meantime, hope to see you around our board also! biggrin.gif
vanndal
i just want to express what i think of maxey voicing al.. happy.gif
i don't mind the change..but its heartbreaking to know that aaron's not playing alphonse anymore..

come to think of it, aaron might be experiencing puberty right about now,so....a girl playing a young boy's voice doesn't sound bad....

i'm really excited about the BIG ROLE of aaron though!!

AND!

i bet colleen will do a great job!...as usual wink.gif
she fits the role of riza so well!
ramencat
Aaron was the best Al, but i wouldn't like him doing the role anymore. I'm really impressed with Maxey. I listened to her as Antonio in Romeo x Juliet, and she sounded like a boy 100% of the time, throughout the entire series. It's on Funi's video portal, so if you want to hear her, that's a good place to go. I'm glad she's doing Al. As for Aaron, I'm not to worried. I trust the directors to cast him in a suitable role, and he's a talented voice actor. He can probably make whatever they give him work.
hawkflame
Maxey Whitehead is very good and I think she'll do fine as Al.

Now who do you guys think should round out some of the new characters? IMO,Christine Auten would be perfect for Olivier if she wasn't already doing Izumi...
ramencat
I'm guessing Luci Christen will be May. I can't think of any other "little kid" actors.
Disasterpiece
so when are these dubbs due?
Hyperthia
QUOTE (Disasterpiece @ Jan 23 2010, 08:54 PM) *
so when are these dubbs due?

Like, when will they come out?
I think I heard sometime in April/May... This Spring.

Now for a question of my own:
Are the dubs going to air on adult swim? I ask because I keep hearing rumors that AS isn't showing anime anymore.
Not that it matters to me. I rely on my laptop because I don't have a tv at the moment. But when I do have a tv, I want to watch FMA biggrin.gif
ramencat

Are the dubs going to air on adult swim? I ask because I keep hearing rumors that AS isn't showing anime anymore.

AS retired Death Note and Blood+, but it has picked up three new anime, the titles of which are unanounced. So if we're lucky, Brotherhood might be one.
Hagaren_4ever
^Oh God I hope so. I don't think I would want to spend, like, 60 dollars on a DVD.

I watched the first anime dub on Adult Swim without ever hearing the original version (I remember I was surprised to hear that Ed was voiced by a girl). Now, I'm watching FMA:B subs and I feel like I'm getting spoiled. Maybe my expectations will be too high going into this series, 'cause many say the subs are a million times better. :/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.