Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FMA: Brotherhood English Dub Dvd (north American Version) Info & Discussion
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Anime
Pages: 1, 2, 3
rzerox21xx
rightstuf did it again once again... I recieve my copy of Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood bluray part 2 today and wow, I would show you if I know how to scan. I love this... comes wit 4 postcards and commentary of ep 14 and 23. I'm about to test it out. now. thank you rightstuf, your service never ceases to amazing me.

ETA:
finished watching the commentaries episode. 14 has Chris Patton(Greed), Vic(kinda obvious) and you have episode 23 with Monica Rial(Mei), Todd Haberko(Ling) and Trina Nishimura(Lanfan) which is apporiate to get the actors of the new comers of the series and it was a treat to hearthem atalk about the differences on the series and what they love on the scene. You can tell how much they really love their characters.
hawkflame
QUOTE (rzerox21xx @ Aug 9 2010, 08:25 PM) *
finished watching the commentaries episode. 14 has Chris Patton(Greed), Vic(kinda obvious) and you have episode 23 with Monica Rial(Mei), Todd Haberko(Ling) and Trina Nishimura(Lanfan) which is apporiate to get the actors of the new comers of the series and it was a treat to hearthem atalk about the differences on the series and what they love on the scene. You can tell how much they really love their characters.

Man, I'm disappointed that they didn't do a commentary for episode 19. I thought the dub for that one was outstanding, would have been nice to hear the major players from that episode (Travis, Colleen, Laura, Maxey) and their reactions to it.

Still, it would be interesting to hear from Monica, who's not a newcomer to FMA, but is playing a totally different character this time.
rzerox21xx
QUOTE (hawkflame @ Aug 9 2010, 08:43 PM) *
QUOTE (rzerox21xx @ Aug 9 2010, 08:25 PM) *

Man, I'm disappointed that they didn't do a commentary for episode 19. I thought the dub for that one was outstanding, would have been nice to hear the major players from that episode (Travis, Colleen, Laura, Maxey) and their reactions to it.

Still, it would be interesting to hear from Monica, who's not a newcomer to FMA, but is playing a totally different character this time.

I would also would love to hear Caitlin commentary on episode 22 as well. the dvd covers they used were the obvious Roy one and the others they used was the Ling,lanfan, and fuu which was used in the japanese 5th cover, and for some reason, they used the Riza cover from japanese volume 9. which was used on episodes past the one this current set is covering.
RaphieL
STUPID QUESTION TIME.

It says here it contains Again and USO textless: Link But that was already in the first part. Did they made a mistake or is it true?
sidekick.kep37
@ RaphieL: No idea. I was just going to ignore your question since I didn't know the answer, but that would've been rude... so yeah. No idea.

But man, I was really hoping they would do a commentary on 19 sooooo badly. Agh, I was almost certain they would've since 19 is on par with (and IMHO, suprassed) the original with the Japanese seiyu. Ah, dang. Oh well, at least the commentaries with the other eps are good then. smile.gif
rzerox21xx
QUOTE (RaphieL @ Aug 9 2010, 10:21 PM) *
STUPID QUESTION TIME.

It says here it contains Again and USO textless: Link But that was already in the first part. Did they made a mistake or is it true?

Nope, the textless opening and ending are the hologram and let it out.
AXavierB
Shame I have to buy the DVDs since I don't have a Blu-ray player. Is there any significant difference in the picture quality between the Blu-ray and DVD versions anyway?
Megabyte117
QUOTE (AXavierB @ Aug 10 2010, 02:46 AM) *
Shame I have to buy the DVDs since I don't have a Blu-ray player. Is there any significant difference in the picture quality between the Blu-ray and DVD versions anyway?

I have the Japanese DVDs but the English blu-rays. There is a substantial difference. Blu-ray players aren't too expensive these days, and the show looks gorgeous in high-definition.

Also got Part 2 early. Was pleasantly surprised to find Rightstuf shipped it early tongue.gif I love the Mustang cover. biggrin.gif
penguintruth
It'd be nice to get commentaries from some Japanese cast members, instead of the Funimation scrubs. Half the time they don't even know what they're talking about.

Though to be fair, I've heard plenty of Japanese commentary that's pretty bad, too.
AXavierB
I don't even have an HDTV so it probably doesn't matter whether I got the DVD or not.

Or at least that's what I'll tell myself so I don't have to feel jealous of everyone with a Blu-ray player. =_=
DistantBlue
About the commentary from the VAs, I didn't really care for the second one at all, but I loved the first one. For those who didnt hear it, it was especially interesting IMHO to hear Travis Willingham, who admitted he was wasn't very good in the first series due to inexperience. He had a great understanding of the new series and Mustang, and the relationship between Hawkeye and Mustang (he even accidentally gave away the tattoo, ha ha). He also apparently kept up with the subbed releases on Funimation, which I thought was pretty cool of him. :-P

[...]for some reason, they used the Riza cover from japanese volume 9. which was used on episodes past the one this current set is covering.

I gotta say I'm pretty disappointed about episode 19 too. Of all the episodes, I thought that was the one they would do a commentary for sure. And 26 too, maybe.

I think they used Hawkeye because the cover of Ed with the shot of him from the end of 26 would be the only suitable overall cover for Part 3, IMHO. (I think) the other two are of Olivier and of Scar and Winry, so I guess neither would work.

Anyway, i can't wait to get this!
Kale Mustang
QUOTE (AXavierB @ Aug 11 2010, 06:28 PM) *
I don't even have an HDTV so it probably doesn't matter whether I got the DVD or not.

Or at least that's what I'll tell myself so I don't have to feel jealous of everyone with a Blu-ray player. =_=

Actually, even the dvd upscaled looks quite good so once you do get that HDTV, you'll be in for a treat. And as far as feeling jealous, since the show itself was shot in HD, it's only fair that most of us are watching it as such but again, it looks good on both dvd & bd.

Shame about the commentary, especially since I'd have preferred to have ep. 19 rather than for ep. 14 as as good as the ep. 14 was, ep. 19 probably would've had an amazing commentary from the group. But that's all just IMHO.
Ama-ri
so, the UK version of FMA:B released yesterday, anyone bought it yet? Are there any differences to the US version? Any bonus material? Is the OVA included? What about the covers? And I read here somewhere you weren't able to turn off the subtitles in the BD US version, is it the same with the UK release?
A Pierrot's Aria
I'm in the UK, but I buy the US versions...however, I think it's safe to say that they don't have OVAs; they have the same running time and I don't think they'd release one with and one without. xD I have no idea if they'll contain the postcards or not...I'm leaning towards them not, but I could be surprised. laugh.gif

I doubt they'll have all the covers (but I don't know for sure, because I'm not buying the UK versions) because, as with most (or all) MANGA releases it's a single DVD box with 2 or 3 discs inside, rather than a box set like the US version. So I'd imagine only one of the covers will be on the front (which in this case, it is, Volume 1's cover. Perhaps the covers from volumes 2 and 3 will be inside the box?)

I'm not sure about the problems with subtitles...I don't use them since the entire point of me getting these sets is to watch it in English. laugh.gif The only problem I've had with subtitles is that every second episode I watch, the subtitles on the opening are written in romaji instead of English. But it doesn't bother me because I usually skip the opening. laugh.gif
Kale Mustang

Yay.
Hagaren_4ever
Does anyone know when the FMA:B hiatus on Adult Swim will be over?
RaphieL

When they re-run all the episodes at least once, I think.

The dvd's will take longer for them to be released. sad.gif
riceking17
QUOTE (Hagaren_4ever @ Aug 24 2010, 05:12 PM) *

I think sometime around November or December, if I remember correctly fma 1 also went on hitaus after ep 26 and came back four months later. So yeah that's just my guess.
penguintruth
Just got mine yesterday. So awesome.

The commentaries are, of course, terrible, except that the episode 23 one had Monica Rial, whose very voice makes my heart smile. So despite all the prattle, I listened.
AXavierB
I couldn't help but giggle when Greed's voice actor commented on how short his time on the show was.
rzerox21xx
QUOTE (AXavierB @ Aug 29 2010, 01:30 PM) *
I couldn't help but giggle when Greed's voice actor commented on how short his time on the show was.

I don't think so, I think hes going to voice Greed voice when he takes over Ling.
RoyxRizaFan
I'm with penguintruth when it comes to my opinion on commentaries, but I honestly can't stomach them enough to sit through the entire thing. I watched the commentary for the episode where Hughes dies, and they hardly said two words about the actual show, and what they did say was usually incorrect. I don't know if anyone else watched it, but if you have, you'll remember:

During the opening, they commented on how overly-comidic they found the animation, and one of them said, "That's because the manga was so much darker than the anime, and they need to balance it with comedy!" Look, I know they're just actors (though I cant' stand their voices, on any of the thousands of shows they dominate, the same like ten actors in every single anime) but if they don't know what they're talking about, get someone who DOES to talk! How much farther can you get from the truth then to say that the anime, which was very, very dark, is lighter than the manga, which is based off the theme of HOPE, and that hardship leads to happiness???!! How is that darker than the first anime??

That was biggest thing, but there were smaller, irritating things afterwards. Like Winry's VA Caitlyn Glass mentioned how Winry is apparently the same in both animes. Okay, minor, but as a hardcore FMA fan who has always respected Winry for being independant and strong (while still femine) it was hard to listen to that, knowing how cliche and pathetic she was in the first anime.

Then there was the fact that they spent 80% of the commentary talking about food.

The worst was Hughes' death scene. I get that they're not fans of the show, but if they have nothing to say, why are they the ones talking about it in the commentaries? They were joking around about something entirely irrelevant during hte entire scene, laughing about something stupid while Hughes was buried and his daughter and wife were crying. Honestly. I've watched tons of commentaries before, and even though it's all fiction, the people talking have never laughed during something as sensitive as that before, because USUALLY the commentators have something worth saying, and have some sort of investment in the story. So the laughing made my skin crawl, and I nearly turned it off.

I stuck with it for God knows what reason, but not for long. At the strangest possible moment, I was finally pushed over the edge. They made a comment about not liking Roy's jacket and I was like, "That's it, I cant listen to you people anymore" and took out the DVD. My sister was like, "Finally. I didnt think you of all people would last that long."

...........Long story short, I've never liked hte English voice cast, but hearing this made me dislike more than their lack of talent, and made me disapointed in who Funimation chooses to commentate. There's got to be a script writer or a director or sometone who has something to say. Something beyond food.
AXavierB
QUOTE (rzerox21xx @ Aug 29 2010, 12:45 PM) *
QUOTE (AXavierB @ Aug 29 2010, 01:30 PM) *

I don't think so, I think hes going to voice Greed voice when he takes over Ling.

Yeah, that's why I giggled. I'm assuming the commentary was made before he knew Greed would return.

Either that or he did it to mislead the people listening who don't know what happens later.
penguintruth
I like to think of the commentaries as endurance tests.
AXavierB
I like the commentaries, but I do wish they'd say more about the show.

EDIT: I'm just gonna buy an external Blu-ray drive for my laptop and then get the Blu-rays for Brotherhood.
Kasumisty
I've got my copy of Vol. 1 FMA:B DVD delivered to me today. (European release)

And I've gotta say, it's nothing like American version. It is a LOT poorer.

First of all, it's a simple plastic DVD case. No paper box. Just a DVD.

The biggest dissapointment comes from the inside of the box:

There is literally nothing there. Not a booklet, not even a leaflet. The inside is black and dull. The discs are the same. I thought we would get, at least a some kind of small booklet.

Okay, moving to the actual inside of the disc, so plopping this into my PS2 and doing amateur pictures of TV with my camera:

The menus on both discs look the same. There is Again playing in the background and small buttons as seen at the bottom of the logo. Well, the FMA-themed background is nice, but that hue of red is a bit irritating for the eyes.

Episode selection screen:

That may be the matter of the DVD player that is used, but on my PS2 the subtitles for the songs are red:

and for the episodes yellow:

They are visible, so they're doing their job, but I would prefer they were black&white instead.

It costed me 30$...I don't think I will be buying other volumes.
A Pierrot's Aria
^That's exactly what I thought it would be like, since it's a MANGA release. xD It actually doesn't look too bad; I like the black and red colour scheme, but I do admit I prefer the red and white colour-scheme they used in the US version. Not to say the above box doesn't look good, because I think it does. biggrin.gif And as I thought, it only had one cover out of the four that were used on the first four Japanese volumes.

I'm not sure about the colour of the subtitles on the set I have, though...I don't watch the Japanese version, because I actually enjoy the dub a whole lot better. xD! But if I were to watch it in Japanese one day, yellow subs wouldn't bother me, in fact, to me they look a lot clearer.

This set would've done me just fine if I wasn't so impatient and got the US version. laugh.gif

14.99 is a much better price too...I pay double that to get it from the US; I'm my own worst enemy! laugh.gif

I think that the MANGA DVD box looks fine, I personally like it! It might have been disappointing for those who didn't know what releases from MANGA are usually like, and prefer the box-set look. But I'm sure people can live without a card cover and a few postcards, so which ever version you get you're not really missing out on anything big. xD

mellulah
QUOTE (Kasumisty @ Sep 2 2010, 01:31 AM) *
I've got my copy of Vol. 1 FMA:B DVD delivered to me today. (European release)

And I've gotta say, it's nothing like American version. It is a LOT poorer.

First of all, it's a simple plastic DVD case. No paper box. Just a DVD.

The biggest dissapointment comes from the inside of the box:

There is literally nothing there. Not a booklet, not even a leaflet. The inside is black and dull. The discs are the same. I thought we would get, at least a some kind of small booklet.

Again? Dammit they left out all the goodies in the European release of the first series as well.
RaphieL

Is it me or this looks better than the funimation dvd. I mean, the euro box art is sucky, but the dvd quality looks a little better.
Vlyse
Rightstuf.com gave Part 3 a Dec 28 release date. This probably means we will see Brotherhood back on Adult Swim sometime before that. Probably enough time for episodes 27-38 to premiere.

If it comes back on with 1 new episode a week, then in order to get through 27-38 it has to return on September 18/25 or October 2/9. Or maybe if it does double premieres, it may not return until late November.
A Pierrot's Aria
^Awesome! Can't wait to pre-order the third set! And I really hope that your deductions end up being correct! happy.gif

I got part 2 today (US, non-blu-ray version); it was a heck of a wait! laugh.gif I've got some cam pics if anyone is interested in what it looks like/includes...and it's also a celebration of me finally finding the cable I needed to get photos from my phone to the computer! laugh.gif

Card Cover
Click to view attachment

DVD covers
Click to view attachment

Inside DVD box 2
Click to view attachment

Inside DVD box 1
Click to view attachment

Collectable Postcards
Click to view attachment
Flame Alchemist12
hi im new. And I have to ask. Where can i get the blu-ray version of brotherhood and for how much?
A Pierrot's Aria
Firstly, welcome to the forum. happy.gif

And you can buy the blu-ray DVDs from Amazon.com. Right now, part one is $29.99 and part 2 is $44.99. Of course, those are the US (region 1) versions.

Or you could buy the European (region 2) versions from Amazon.co.uk. Part 1 being 24.47 and part 2 being the same price. Although the latter doesn't come out until November.

Sorry if you've already tried those sites, but they're where I got my DVDs. You may already know, but the US and European versions have different DVD cover aesthetics. Kasumisty's post above has the European version box and my post above has the US version. (I just thought I'd mention this in case it plays a part in your decision to buy. wink.gif )
starfruit89
WOW! The dvd cover presentation look amazing! I personally think the covers of the dvd looks better than the bluy-ray. It almost makes me wish I got that version instead. But I do like how crisp and nice everything looks on screen with the blu-ray.
Flame Alchemist12
Thanks for the tip. Ive gotten pretty tired of watching it on youtube. Now all i have to do is get 30 bucks... wish me luck.
A Pierrot's Aria
No worries. tongue.gif And good luck!

If you want to try a cheaper option (well, there might not that be big a difference) but you could get the normal DVDs opposed to the blu-ray...This is in response to Starfruit above also, I personally find that the quality of the non-blu-ray DVDs are just fine.

I don't care for blu-ray myself, though. I just like normal DVDs. xD
Flame Alchemist12
Really? I always heard that blu-ray has much higher quality when it comes to the clearness of the video. Then again I havn't seen a cartoon in blu-ray(or an anime for that matter). So I guess I'll find out when I buy FMABrotherhood.
hawkflame
We now officially have a trailer AND cover art for FMA Brotherhood vol. 3 in the US:

http://www4.funimation.com/video/?page=video&v=6353
Vlyse
Woah. That's a really cool trailer this time.

Any idea what episode Father's dialogue is from?
Flame Alchemist12
Wow that was awsome!

Can't wait till it comes out!

BTW I was able to buy part one of fma brotherhood and itSHOULDbe here in 3 days. I just hope it is. I gotta friend coming over whos never seen it and im hoping he can start watching it too. I'm tired of being the only one thats seen it! XD but i'll survive if I am.
Vlyse
Brotherhood DVD Part 4 has a date of 3/29/11 according to Rightstuf's Fall 2010 Anime Catalog I got in the mail today. Checked their website but they don't have Part 4 listed yet.

Oh but for Part 3 there is a description now I didn't see before.

In the shadows beneath Central, the Elrics encounter Father, the creator of the Homunculi. His face is familiar, but his alchemy is unlike anything the brothers have ever seen. As Father's dark plot takes shape, Ed and Al brave the frigid north to meet the top officer of the fortress Briggs: General Olivier Armstrong. With icy nerve and burning intensity, she commands the hardest soldiers in the land, leading the warriors of Briggs in battle against the unstoppable, rampaging Sloth.

Contains episodes 27-39.

Special Features: Episode 14 Commentary, Episode 23 Commentary, Textless Opening Song, Textless Closing Song, Trailers.

Nice summary. Still lists Part 2's commentaries at the moment. That's probably a goof.
Tombow
I don't know how accurate this is, but Manga-News.com has this pic for DVD part 4. unsure.gif

According to this pic part 4 contains episodes 39 - 50.
RaphieL

Did they edit the image somehow, cuz it looks cooler! biggrin.gif
A Pierrot's Aria
I don't know if anyone knows this already, but just in case:

Click to view attachment

This awesome Olivier cover image will be the cover for set 3. biggrin.gif And the cover image posted by Tombow would definitely make sense for set 4.
Hagaren_4ever
So I guess they're just recording the whole series before they get off hiatus? At a EXPcon on October 13th Vic Mignogna said that he had recorded up to episode 58.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljtdRK4s9ag

On a separate note, Caitlin Glass has stated that she has already finished her recording for the series. :/

Tombow
QUOTE (Hagaren_4ever @ Oct 27 2010, 07:09 PM) *
So I guess they're just recording the whole series before they get off hiatus? At a EXPcon on October 13th Vic Mignogna said that he had recorded up to episode 58.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljtdRK4s9ag

On a separate note, Caitlin Glass has stated that she has already finished her recording for the series. :/

@Hagaren_4ever - Thank you for the info!
Yes, I was wondering if, during the hiatus of the airing of FMA:B dubbed episodes they would go ahead with the dubbing productions... this answers the question.

No info on the scheduled release date for DVD set 4 yet.
A Pierrot's Aria
QUOTE (Tombow @ Oct 29 2010, 10:36 PM) *
No info on the scheduled release date for DVD set 4 yet.

Vlyse states above that in the Rightstuf catalogue the release date for Brotherhood DVD Part 4 is 3/29/11, although it isn't on the website yet. happy.gif
Tombow
^ Ohh, thank you, A Pierrot's Aria! biggrin.gif
I'm looking forward to watching dubbed episodes in set 4. ^^
RoyxRizaFan
Gah, part three is just after Christmas, and part four is just after my birthday!!! Looks like I'm going to have to save up and get these myself XD Hopefully people will give me money on the holidays!
Tombow
<Double posting with justice. This post will be merged shortly.>

QUOTE (hawkflame @ Dec 17 2010, 01:19 PM) *
According to the Adult Swim online schedule, new episodes of Brotherhood will begin airing on Saturday, January 8 at 1 AM!

http://www.adultswim.com/schedule/onair.html

Finally!

Awesome news!! Thank you, hawkflame for bringing the news!!! happy.gif

Yap, the news is relevant here also, but since we've been happen to be having this discussion on FMA:Brotherhood Q&A thread also, I moved the post there so that posters there would know of this awesome news also. ^^ (we may open a separate thread just for this topic later. ^^)

ETA: I made a SEPARATE thread for FMA:Brotherhood on Adult Swim and moved relevant posts there. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.